the erection of a church at Dunbar the congregation worshipped
in a Grange Hall near the residence of Walter Carlyle, the pastor then being
Kev. Ferguson. In 1873 the present church was built ; in 1882-3 the manse
wag constructed. Among those prominent in the building of the church
were: Thomas, Adam and Mathew Carlyle, Sidney and Levi Thorn, Daniel aud
William McMillan. A few years ago this church was renovated and
now presents a very neat appearance. Among the pastors on this circuit
have been Rev. William McKibbin ; Rev. Chestnut, inducted April 11, 1875;
Rev. T. Nelson, inducted 1880; Rev. John Grant, inducted Nov., 18S6; Key. T.
Kalem, inducted April 21, 1890 ; Rev. Scuart, inducted July 18, 1893; Kev. H.
Carmichael, ordained and inducted August 9,1898.
TRINITY CHURCH (ANGLICAN), WILIJAMSBURG
In order to gather up the story of Trinity Church we must go back to that
ancient landmark, the first Protestant church in Upper Canada, constructed
Methodist (Morrisburg). Anglican (Morrisburg). Presby. (Morrisburg). R. Catholic (Morrisburg).
Luth. (N. Williamsburg).Presby. (N. Williamsburg).R. Catholic (Chesterville).Luth. (Morrisburg).
Presbyterian (Dunbar). Anglican (Riverside). Methodist (South Mountain).
RELIGIOUS LIFE 195
by the Lutherans of Williamsburg township, towards the close of the
eighteenth century. The circumstances which accompanied the translation
of that church from the Lutheran to the Church of England denomination
were not pleasant, but the year 1811 may safely be accepted as the time when
the doctrines and practices of the latter church were initiated in Dundas, a nd
Bev. Weagant, formerly a Lutheran pastor, apostatized and became the first
incumbent of the Church of England body, remaining in charge until his
resignation, in 1835. Rev. G. Beek Lindsay, the next pastor, labored eleven
years in Williamsburg, Matilda and Edwardsburg, and in each of these dis-
tricts laid the foundation for the future success of the church. During his stay
the celebrated Williamsburg church was rebuilt, much of the old material
being used. The consecration of the church was conducted by Bishop Stewart
in 1836. In 1844 Bev. Lindsay was succeeded by Rev. Edward Boswell, and
about that time Williamsburg was created a parish. Since then the following
rectors have served : Revs. Canon Loucks, Canon Forest, Arthur Jarvis,
Archdeacon Worrell, M. G. Poole and G. S. Anderson.
For more than a century the old church, constructed in 1789 and rebuilt in
1836, continued a place of worship, but in 1902-3 a beautiful church was erect-
ed in its stead. The new edifice is a memorial church presented by Edwin
Canfield Whitney and Sarah Crysler, his wife, in memory of their parents. It
was surely a worthy act on the part of the donors and the gift is greatly
appreciated by the parishioners. The memorial windows in Trinity Church
are handsome. Three of these appear in the chancel, the centre one having
been placed in the old church by John P. Crysler in memory of his wife; to
the right is another, a presentation from Ralph Crysler.of Crysler.in memory
of his father, the late John P. Crysler; while the third was erected by the four
Whitney brothers, Edwin, Albert, James P. and George E., in memory of
their parents. The west end window, although not a memorial window, is
one of Spence's best productions, and was presented by the women of the con-
gregation as a thank-offering to Almighty God for his great goodness to the
parish of Williamsburg. The pulpit of the old church which had been placed
in memory of the late Alexander Colquhoun was transferred to the new
church together with the tablets in memory of Revs. Weagant and Lindsay,
the spire, cross and bell, while the basement contains several of the old seats,
in sacred remembrance of the former church and its early worshippers.
A new fence combining stability and beauty encloses the church grounds ;
the fine Lich gate was presented by Robert M. Cox, of Liverpool, a friend
of E. C. Whitney.
In connection with the pioneer Protestant church of Upper Canada one
very interesting feature is the equally old graveyard. There, side by side,
long years ago were placed the remains of individuals of prominence
196 THE STORY OP DUNDAS
and those to fortune and to fame unknown. Very quaint and interesting
are the inscriptions on some of these headstones. On one we read : To the
memory of Katy, wife of John Starnes.married ye 8th Novem., 1785. She
lived nine years, five months and eleven days with him. Was laid on a bed
of sickness four days and a half. She departed this life ye 3rd April, 1795.
Aged 27 years, six months and eighteen days.
"Near this stone remains the mortal Part
Of her who once delighted every heart ;
How good she was and what her virtues were
Her guardian angel can alone Declare.
Best, precious dust, till heaven thy worth Reveal,
Thy judge will publish what thy friends Conceal."
Another stone bears the following inscription : "In memory of the late
Harriet Delisle, daughter of Margaret and David Delisle, late rector of Christ's
Church, Montreal, who departed this life October 8, 1791." While close at
hand is another "To the memory of the Hon. John Munroe, Esq., one of His
Majesty's Legislative Council" of Upper Canada, formerly a captain in the
King's Late Royal Regiment of New York, who died the 27th of October,
1800, aged 72 years. "
At this historic burial ground of more than a century old the interments
have been many. Often in making a grave the sexton unearths human
bones, an experience which reminds us of Addison, who while watching the
digging of a grave in Westminster Abbey saw "in every shovelful of ground
bits of skull or bone intermixed with a kind of fresh mouldering earth that
some time or other had a place in the composition of a human body."
ST. JAMES' (ANGLICAN) CHURCH, MORRISBURO
In 1857, during the incumbency of Rev. Dr. Boswell, a new church, St.
James, was erected at Morrisburg, on a site donated by James Hodge, of Mon-
treal. So great was Dr. Bos well's interest in the work that he himself per-
formed much manual labor, sometimes working by the light of a lantern. The
church cost about $5,000, was built of stone, and possessed the features of the
early English architecture.
In the spring of 1893, the second year of the incumbency of the present
rector, Rev. G. S. Anderson, the old church was taken down and replaced by
a new one, the corner-stone of which was laid on Friday, Aug. 4, 1893, under
the auspices of Excelsior Lodge, No, 142, G. R. C., A. F. & A. M., the cere-
mony being performed by Hon. J. M. Gibson, Grand Master of the Grand
Lodge of Canada, assisted by other Grand Lodge officers and a large concourse
of brethren. The new church, the cost of which exceeded $16,000, is large
and well constructed. The interior is well arranged. Above the trestle work
is elaborately finished. The seats filling the nave are of oak and afford
seating capacity for 450 people. Two vestries for the use of the rector and
RELIGIOUS LIFE 197
choir respectively open in the chancel, which contains a brass eagle lectern in
memory of William H. McConkey, and a brass book-rest for the altar, pre-
sented by Miss Mary Ridge way. The chancel was recently decorated in green
and gold by Mr. Spence, of Montreal, and the small brass tablet bears the
following inscription : "To the Glory of God, and in loving memory of John
Anderson, a good father, a man in whom was no guile ; and Edna, his wife, a
pious mother, a woman who did what she could, has this chancel been decor-
ated. B. I. P." The three figured stained glass windows in the north of the
chancel representing "Christ in Gethsamene," "Christ appearing to Mary
Magdalene," and the "Nativity," are in memory of Julia, daughter of R. H.
and Mary Bradfield, Chas. E. Weegar and Eliza Maud, wife of James Mc-
Conkey, respectively. On the west side of the church are beautiful windows
representing "The Good Samaritan," in memory of D. A. Breckenridge ;
"Jesus at the tomb ol Lazarus," presented by H. G. Merkley, and "The pre-
sentation of the Infant.Jesus in the Temple," erected in memory of the de-
parted friends of Miss Jane Nash. Across the south end is the rose window,
the central figure of which is Christ, the Good Shepherd." Directly beneath
it is another illustrative of "Christ blessing little children," a gift from the
Sunday school children. In front of this window is an attractive font bear-
ing the inscription, "In memory of Clara Flagg, wife of H. G. Merkley, who
entered into rest Aug, 14, 1881, aged 59 years." The window to the right
represents "The adoration of the Magi," in memory of Isa and Edith, wife
and daughter of A. F. Merkley . The window to the left is the one at present
not a memorial. On the east others represent "The anointing of the Sav-
iour," in memory of Ellen Mary, wife of F. B. Maxwell ; "The Ascension," in
memory of Mrs. Frederick Bradfield, and 'The Baptism of Our Lord by John
the Baptist," in memory of F. B. Maxwell.
The consecration of this church took place April 18, 189i, there being pres-
ent to assist: His Grace the Archbishop of Ontario, the Ven. Archdeacon Bed-
ford Jones, of Brockville ; Rev. Rural Dean Loucks, Rev. Rural Dean Hous-
ton, Rev. Prof. Worrell, Revs. Daw, McDonald, S. G Poole, M. G. Poole,
Clark, Newham, Jenkins, McKenzie, Grout, Dumbriile and Anderson.
Rev. G. S. Anderson, the present rector, a son of the late John Anderson, is
a native of Maitland, Ont. He obtained a teacher's certificate in 1878, and
taught two years. He next attended Brantford Collegiate Institute, then
Trinity University, matriculating in 1884, and graduating in theology in 1887,
winning the following prizes : The Hamilton memorial prize, the Bishop of
Toronto prize, prize for sermon, and prize for general proficiency. On June
29, 1887, the day following his graduation, he was ordained deacon, in Hamil-
ton, by the Rt. Rev. Chas. Hamilton, Bishop of Niagara, now Lord Bishop of
Ottawa ; and in December, 1887, was priested by the late Archbishop Lewis,
198 THE STORY OF HONDAS
in Christ's Church Cathedral, Ottawa. Mr. Anderson has presided over but
two charges, first as curate at Maitland, under the late Rev. Rural Dean
Lewis, and his present charge, which he assumed in October, 1891, at the re-
quest of the congregation of St. James.
MATILDA PARISH (ANGLICAN)
In 1792 a church was constructed on the centre commons of Matilda, close
to the St. Lawrence. The Lutheran congregation were the builders of this
edifice, but dissensions similar to those in Williamsburg having arisen the
building passed into the hands of the Church of England body. The minis-
ter from Williamsburg officiated there. This church remained until 1865 when
it was sold, the materials removed and used in the construction of two small
rough -cast houses, near the G. T. R. station, Iroquois. In the cemetery,
along the Matilda gravel road, the site of the old Church, there may be seen
a gravestone which reads as follows: "Rev. Frederick Augustus Myers, a
native of Germany, and minister of Matilda, C. W., born Jan. 9th, 1766, died
April 25th, 1832." What stories of interest might be related in connection
with this old church. Within its walls on each side of the pulpit were a few
large, prominent seats where in those olden days it was customary for the
Justices of the Peace to sit in state during the service.
The parish of Matilda includes St. John's Church, Iroquois, and St. Paul's
Church, Haddo. In architectural arrangement St. John's Church possesses
many points of excellence, the stone work being of Ashlar design. The
interior is beautifully finished, electric lights have been installed, and the
congregation are zealous in keeping the Church property in prime condition.
Among the memorials are a fine pipe organ, donated by Arthur
Patton in memory of his son, W. H. Patton; reredos placed in memory of the
late Cephas Mills; the pulpit, in memory of Canon White, while the altar rail
was erected in memory of Charles Steacy.
St. Paul's Church, Haddo, a neat frame building, was built during the
rectorship of Rev. Houston. Services are held there fortnigntly, at 2.30
p. in., and once a month, at 8 a. m.
Among the pastors who have been in charge of the Matilda parish are:
Rev. Messrs. Lindsay, Dr. Boswell, E. W. Bevan, Anderson, Carey, Canon
White, R. L. M. Houston, T. J. Stiles, A. H. Coleman.
Rev. Arthur H. Whalley, the present rector, was educated at Merton Col-
lege,Oxford, and later took a Divinity course at Trinity College, Toronto. His
first charge was at the mission of Marysburg, where he ministered two years,
at the close of which time he was transferred to the parish of Bell's Corners,
near Ottawa, remaining seven years. He next went to the county of Glengarry,
the first Church of England minister to be stationed there. He officiated
RELIGIOUS LIFB 199
three years in the Scotch county before coming to Matilda, and during that
time was successful in building a church and parish hall near Lancaster.
BT. PETER'S (ANGLICAN) CHURCH, SOUTH MOUNTAIN
In 1837 a large stone church was built about two miles east of South Moun-
tain. This church was surrounded by a burying ground, while hard by was
the parsonage, with twenty-five acres of land attached. The church site was
a donation from the late John Baldwin, sr. Among those prominently con-
nected with the building of this early church were : Henry Bolton, J. Curry,
Peter Bowen. The first incumbent was Rev. J. B. Lindsay; those later were
Revs. Messrs. Plees, Harris, Brown, Bell and Mackenzie. During Mr. Mac-
kenzie's time the old church which had become greatly dilapidated was taken
down. The present brick church at South Mountain, built largely through
the efforts of the late Rev. K. L. Jones,is of Gothic style. Just opposite stands
a brick parsonage with ten acres of land, including an excellent orchard.
The following rectors have presided over St, Peter's Church : Revs. Jones,
Muckleston, Mercer, Bailey, Brown, Shaw, Haslam, Sills, Butler, Lowe, and
the present incumbent, Rev. A. 8. Jukes.
PARISH OF WINCHESTER AND CHESTERVILLE (ANGLICAN)
Previous to the erection of a church at Chesterville services were held there
by pastors who came in from neighboring charges. The church now used by
the congregation is built of brick, and valued at $2,400. Service is held every
Sabbath morning and evening alternately. The Church adherents number
72. St. Matthias Church, Winchester, was erected in 1890, estimated cost
$2,200. A brick rectory, costing $2, 050, is now in course of construction. The
pastors have been : Revs. Messrs. Bailie, Brown, Shaw, Haslam, Newham,
Mercer, Sills and Radcliffe. H. J. Spencer, the present incumbent of this
parish, has been in charge since September, 1903. He was born in Kemptville,
educated at Kingston schools and Trinity College, Toronto, graduating in
Divinity with degree of L. T. He was placed in charge of the mission of
North Addington and later the parish of Sterling. For four years he was
vicar of the cathedral of Marquette, Michigan, at the close of which time he
came to Winchester.
WINCHESTER BAPTIST CHURCH
This congregation, under the name "West Winchester Regular Baptist
Church," was organized February 13th, 1859, the M. E. Church and the school
house being the places of worship. In 1869 the construction of the substantial
stone church was undertaken, the first service being held therein Dec. 27th,
1870. The trustees at that time were: A. J. Lafiamme, John A. Chambers
and Samuel Frith. Until the year 1899 one pastor supplied the Winchester
and Ormond churches. The pastors have been: J. J. White (student), Rev.
D . McPhail, J. P. McEwen (student); 1872-8, Rev. P. H. McEwen, assisted
200 THK STORY OF DUNDAS
one year by J. W. A. Stewart; 1878-85, D. McNeil; 1885-87, Rev. A. B. Mc
Donald; 1888-90, Rev. Geo. Cross; 1890-99, Rev. J. M. Cornwall, B. A.; 1904,
J. M. Warner, B. A., (student). Much of the historic might be related in
connection with this church. Two of its former members,Miss M. J. Frith and
Rev. H. F. Laflamme, son of A. J. Laflamme, of Morrisburg, have for several
years been spreading the gospel in India; the farewell service to the former
was held in August 18th, 1883, and to the latter on August 31st, 1887. Tke
present membership of this church is sixty-eight.
ORMOND BAPTIST CHURCH
During the early fifties the Baptists in the vicinity of Ormond built a frame
church which did service until the erection of the present brick edifice, about
1877. The pastor who now presides on this charge is Rev. C. E. McLeod.
The " Holiness Movement," a religious denomination, was organized a few
years ago. The history of this clmreh in Dundas dates back to the early 90's
when camp-meetings were held at different places in eastern Ontario, under
the direction of Rev. R. C.Horner, the founder of the Movement. In Septem-
ber, 1894, their first society in this county was formed at Chesterville, and in
December of that year their new clmreh at that place was opened for public
worship. Among those who have since served on the Chesterville charge
are: Rev. George Horner, Misses Moore and Vancamp, Asa Vancamp, Wesley
Trorter,John Cook, George Christie, Wilford Flower. Rev. Henry Jarvis, the
present pastor of the Chesterville church,has been closely connected with the
work of the Movement since 1896.
The North Williamsburg chapel was erected in 1900, at a cost of $650. The
present membership is ten. Rev. Messrs. Ketcheson, McRae,Hollingsworth,
Bain and Caswell have been pastors here;Misses Berdshell and Mason, who for
over nineteen years have been engaged in evangelistic work, have assisted
on the charge.
At Iroquois services are held in "Beulah Hall," Rev. W. G. Ketcheson
officiates there, also at Cardinal and at concest ion 2, Matilda. Services
are also held at Morrisburg,in the church formerly occupied by the Salvation
The churches at Pittston, Black Creek and South Mountain constitute one
charge. The Pittston church,the present membership of which is twenty, was
erected in 1895, at a cost of $1,UX). The church at Black Creek, the cost of
which was about equal to that of the Pittston church, was constructed in 1896,
its present membership is twenty-five. In 1900 the South Mountain church
waa built costing $800, eleven members are connected therewith. The pastors
RELIGIOUS LIFE 201
who have served on the charge are: Revs. W. W. Lake, Samuel Hollingsworth,
George McRae, and the present pastor, Rev. W. C. Cowell.
About 1896 a congregation under this name was organized at Winchester.
Since then some progress has been made and churches are found at Bouck's
Hill, Winchester Springs, Mountain, Inkerman and Winchester. Mr. Shea
is now president of the organization which as yet is not incorporated.
MORRISBURG PARISH (ROMAN CATHOLIC)
The history of the Roman Catholic religion in Dundas county leads us back
to the late 40's, when during the canal construction a large number of that
faith settled in the county. For some time there was no resident clergy-
man here, but it appears that a Father Clark made occasional visits along the
St. Lawrence in the vicinity of the various public works. On the bank of the
canal at Morrisburg stood the old Presbyterian church, built in 1831. It had
passed into the hands of Mr. Mattice,of Cornwall, and was doing duty as a store
when purchased by the Roman Catholic congregation and by them used as a
chapel. Rev. Coyle was the first stationed pastor, while his successor, Rev.
Meade, remained long identified with the interests of the church.
Rev. J. B. Meade, born in County Clare, Ireland, in 1822, was educated at
Manooth College. Coming to Canada in 1852 he received ordination at King-
ston and was sent as priest to the parish of Lochiel, Glengarry county. After
two years service there he came to Morrisburg, where for 26 years he min-
istered faithfully to the spiritual wants of the congregation. Finally he was
transferred to Reid, Ont., and after a stay of four years returned to his old
home at Mariatown where he lived the remainder of his life.
The old church along the canal continued in use until 1886, when" the pres-
ent beautiful church was purchased from the Methodist body, at a cost of
$5,000. On Sunday, September 12, 1886,his Lordship the Most Rev.James Vin-
cent Cleary, S. T.D., Bishop of Kingston, solemnly blessed and dedicated the
new church to the service of God. The meetings throughout the day were
of an especial character and the occasion was an eventful one in the R. C.
history of Morrisburg. We have already noted the lengthy term of service
of Rev. J. B. Meade. Since then the following reverend gentlemen have been
in charge of the parish: Revs. Connolly, O'Brien, Twomey, Fleming, and the
present pastor, Rev. John McCarthy.
Rev. Father Twomey was an exceptionally popular pastor both in his spirit-
ual sphere and from the standpoint of good citizenship. Learned, liberal in
his views, and kindly in his acts, he won a permanent place in the hearts of the
many with whom he came in contact. His transference from Morrisburg was
202 THB STORY OF DUNDAS
generally regretted and at his departure he was presented with a beautiful
address and three well-filled purses, one from each of his congregations.
Rev. John R. Fleming was born at Waterford, Ireland, in 1859. In Decem-
ber, 1880, he was ordained a priest and soon placed in charge of the parish at
Lindsay. He was also stationed at Pic ton, Kingston and Madoc, was the
first resident priest of Tweed and Hungerford, from which charge he came to
Morrisburg, remaining until 1903, when ill-health forced him to be relieyed of
his work. He was succeeded by Rev. John McCarthy, the present successful
pastor of the parish.
The presbytery at Morrisburg, established a few years ago, adjacent
to the church, is a handsome brick building, fitted and equipped in excel-
lent order, and speaks creditably for the people of the three congregations,
Morrisburg, Iroquois and Dixons Corners, which constitute the parish.
The first R. C. church at Dixon's Corners was a frame building which did
duty for many years until the present comfortabe brick church was construct-
ed, in 1864. For many years the R. C. congregation at Iroquois worshipped
at Morrisburg or Dixon's Corners, but finally they purchased from the Meth-
odist congregation the stone church, erected in 1861.
SOUTH MOUNTAIN ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH
Along in the late forties the Roman Catholic congregation erected a church
at South Mountain. It was a wooden structure, still standing, though not
used as a place of worship. The church lot was purchased from Edward
Barry and Samuel Guernsey. The first parish priest was Rev. Father Farley.
Since then the following have ministered to the congregation: Revs. Coyle,
Harty, Fox, McDonald, and the present pastor, Rev. Father O'Connor, who
resides at Kemptville, the other appointment of his charge. The old wooden
church which had served so well and long was replaced in 1894 by a handsome
brick edifice, which cost about $6,000. The present congregation represents
about thirty -four families, and service is held in the church each alternate
THE R. C. CHURCH, CHESTERVILLE
The history of this church dates from 1851. Prior to this the Cath olics who
had found their way to the township of Winchester principally from Mun-
ster and Connaught, in Ireland, worshipped in a log school house about a mile
south of the present village, which was then called Armstrong's Mills. The
first priest who visited the settlement was Rev. Father Clark, of Prescott.
Rev. Father Coyle succeeded and undertook to build and with difficulty com-
pleted the present stone church in the above named year. Father John Meade,
of Morrisburg (1856-1882), attended to the spiritual wants of the people for a
period of twenty-six years. In 1882 the late Archbishop Cleary erected the
mission of Chesterville into a separate parish and appointed the Rev. Terence
RELIGIOUS LIFE: 203
Fitzpatrick, the first resident pastor. He remained for seven years, and built
and equipped the presbytery which adjoins the church.
Among the old familiar pioneers who aided in the building up of the parish
may be mentioned John and Thomas Moran, James Cain, Patrick Chambers,
Michael Grady, Daniel Grady, Michael, Daniel and Denis McMahon, John Mc-
Closkey, Michael and James Curran, Peter and John Burns, Patrick and
James Coyne, John, William and James O'Brien, James and John Masterson,
John McDonald, Patrick Jordan, William Spotton, Martin McQowan, Frank