J. Smyth Carter.

The story of Dundas, being a history of the County of Dundas from 1784 to 1904 online

. (page 20 of 40)
Online LibraryJ. Smyth CarterThe story of Dundas, being a history of the County of Dundas from 1784 to 1904 → online text (page 20 of 40)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the member of parliament previously referred to in this chapter. He (George)
occupied various positions of trust in the public service ; was captain of a
militia company serving in the war of 1812, and received from the Queen
a medal in recognition of his services. The mother of James W. was Sarah
Cassleman, daughter of Tinus Casselman, a prominent resident of the county.
In addition to Mr Cook's career as a parliamentarian two of his brothers,
Herman H. and Simon S., attained similar distinction.

John Sylvester Ross, born in Osnabruck, 1821, died 1882; came to Iroquois
(Matilda)when a young man and established a general store,the second in the
village, and was eminently successful. For many years he
took an active part in municipal affairs and public matters generally. He
was a member of the first council after the village was incorporated and con-
tinued for some time a member of that body. In the declining years of the
Old Parliament of Canada he represented Dundas, being elected in 1861. Af-



PARLIAMENTARY LIFE 217

ter the introduction of the British North American Act he was elected to the
Federal House by acclamation. In 1872 he was again the Conservative nom-
inee bu t was defeated. In 1878 he was once more elected, and at the dissolu-
tion of that parliament retired to private life. Although a Conservative
in politics Mr. Ross was noted for holding and giving expression to independ-
ent views.

William Gibson.a native of Dumfrieshire, Scotland, was born in September,
1815, died February, 1900. In 1839 he came to Canada and operated a flour
mill at Burrett's Rapids. He next went to Spencerville where he built a mill
and remained for some time. In 1857 he came to Morrisburg and purchased
the grist mill from Benjamin Chafley, and later built^the present roller mill
now owned by his sons, Messrs. R. B. and M. C. Gibson. A typical son of
auld Scotia he possessed keen business foresight and as years went on be
grew wealthy. A Liberal in politics, he successfully contested the county
in 1872 , and in 1874 retired at the close of the second term. The subject of
this sketch was twice married, first to Eliza Kennedy in 1843, and in 1854 to
Jane, daughter of the late John Gillespie, of Ventnor.

Charles E.Hickey, M. D., fifth son of the late Major John Hickey,and grand-
son of a U. E. Loyalist, was born in Williamsburg township, Dundas county,
March 24, 1840. When a young man he attended Victoria University and
secured his B. A. in May, 1863. In 1866 he graduated as an M. D. from Mc-
Gill University, opened an office at Chesterville, Ont., but finding his prac-
tice chiefly at West Winchester he removed there in January, 1867, re-
maining until the spring of 1871. He then practised at Belleville for a few
months, but the attractions of his native county were so great
that he soon returned, selecting Morrisburg as his place of residence, and is
still a practising physician of that town. In public affairs the Doctor has
always manifested a deep interest. For a time he was superintendent of
Public schools for Winchester township. In June, 1882, and in February, ]887,
he was elected to represent Dundas in the Federal Parliament, where he prov-
ed himself an outspoken and vigorous member. From May, 1891, till April,
1897, he was superintendent of the Williamsburg canals. In religion the
Doctor is a Methodist, and in politics a staunch Conservative.

Homer Hugo Ross, eldest son of John S. Ross, was born in August, 1847. He
attended the old Matilda Grammar School, Albert Carman (now the Rev. Dr.
Carman) being his first instructor. In 1864 he graduated from the University of
Toronto, and after some years experience as High schoolteacher in Gananoque
and Perth he entered business with his brother, Allen J. Ross, under the
firm name of Ross Bros. & Co. In 1891 he was elected to represent Dundas in
the Dominion Parliament, which position he held until 1896. As a legislator Mr.
Ross was prominent. During the historical sixth session of the parliament



218 THE STORY OF DUNDA8

referred to, he, with several other Conservative members, recorded his vote
against the proposed Isgislation of the government in connection with the
Manitoba School Question. In public matters effecting this county his efforts
were often in evidence. He was vigorous in promoting the Nation river drain-
age, being instrumental in securing the building of the dredge "Dundas" for
the work, while his appeal for the long talked of monument on Crysler's Farm
battlefield was also successful. Since retiring from parliamentary life Mr. Ross
has devoted his time largely to his business interests, being still an active
member of the firm of Ross Bros. & Co., hardware merchants.

Simon S. Cook, the first Dundas representative in the Provincial parliament
under our present constitution, was the fourth son of the late Captain George
Cook, and was born in Williams burg township, Dundas county, Sept. 15, 1831.
He was educated at the local school and at the Potsdam Academy, in the town
of Potsdam, N. Y. In October, 1869, he married Emma, eldest daughter of the
late William Elliott, of Iroquois. He was twice elected to the Provincial
Legislature, and in 1881 was appointed registrar of Dundas. In politics Mr.
Cook was a Liberal, and in religion a Lutheran. He was a member of the firm
ef Cook Bros., Toronto, and also a partner in the lumber business of the late
J. F. Gibbons.

The following biographical sketch was furnished by one of Mr. Broder's in-
timate fellow members of the House of Commons : Andrew Broder, Esq.,
the popular and talented member of the county of Dundas, in the par-
liament of Canada, is pre-eminently a self -made man, one of the type who have
contributed so much to the settlement and development of this fair Province
of Ontario. He was born of Irish parents, at Franklin, in the county of Hunt-
ingdon, Quebec, in the year 1845, and is the seventh son of the family. His
father was a native of Kilfree, county of Sligo, Ireland, while his mother
came from the city of Belfast, the great commercial metropolis of Ulster.
Mr. Broder attended the Public school at Franklin for some years. At the
age of 17 he left home and engaged in farm work in the state of Massachusetts,
near the city of Boston. He saved every dollar he earned for the purpose of
providing himself with the means of increasing his store of knowledge an.4
completing his education, He attended the Huntingdon Academy in his
native county, and also the Malone Academy in New York state . When the
Fenians raided Canada in 1866 he returned home, and proceeded with the
Franklin Company to Huntingdon to repel the enemy. In the year 1868 he
went into business as merchant and farmer at West Winchester, and soon
won popularity for himself by his straightforward dealing and unfailing
courtesy and geniality. So highly was he esteemed by the people of the
county of Dundas that they sought him out and sent him to represent them
in the Ontario Legislature, from 1875 to 1886. He secured many valuable



PARLIAMENTARY LIFE 219

amendments to the Drainage Acts during his service in the Provincial Assem-
bly, and was the first member to advocate the equipment and operation of
the Travelling Dairy, which has proved so beneficial to the farming commun-
ity generally. In 1892 he was appointed Collector of Customs at Morrisburg,
and held the office until 1896, when he resigned to accept the nomination of
kis party to contest the seat for the House of Commons, to which he was
elected. In the general elections of 1900 and 1904 he was again triumphantly
returned to serve the people of Dundas county at Ottawa. Mr. Broder is
equipped to an unusual degree with that rare natural ability which is said to
be possessed by Irishmen and their descendants. He is full of native wit, and
is one of the best platform speakers in the ranks of the Conservative party.
But the interests of his constituents and the promotion of his country's wel-
fare are his chief concern ; and when he speaks in the House of Commons his
utterances command the close attention of all within the sound of his voice.
Though laying no claim to distinction as an orator, he is a thoughtful and
instructive speaker. He always presents his case in a forceful and convinc-
ing manner, and appeals to the intelligence aud good judgment of his hearers
rather than to their prejudices and passions. By all who have the pleasure
of his acquaintance, Mr. Broder is regarded as an honorable, upright gentle-
man. In his long and honored career in the public service he has known no
class or creed, but has worked unceasingly as he has worked ungrudgingly to
promote the happiness and prosperity of the Canadian people.

Dr. T. F. Chamberlain was born at Harlem, Leeds county, Ontario, July 6,
1838. He was educated primarily at the Public schools and afterwards at the
Perth Grammar school ; after which he engaged as a clerk in a large mercan-
tile house at Elgin, Leeds Co. In 1853 he commenced the study of dentistry
with T. D. Laughlin, L. D. S., of Ottawa, subsequently practising in Ontario,
and in 1857 went to New York, where while following his profession he com-
pleted his knowledge of the higher branches. Upon his return to Canada in
1858 he began the study of medicine, matriculating at Queen's College, King-
ston, in the fall of 1859, and passing his final exam, as M. D. in March,
1862. The month following he took up his residence in Morrisburg, where he
practised his profession most successfully until September, 1889, when be was
appointed to the responsible position of Inspector of Asylums and Prisons for
Ontario. In 1871 he received the degree of L. R., C. P. 8., from the Royal Col-
lege of Physicians and Surgeons, Kingston.- During his practice he trained as
students of medicine a number of young men, among whom were Drs. Hart,
McLean, Howe, Musgrove, Lane, Shibley and others, all of whom are success-
ful practitioners. He was commissioned Lieutenant of the 8th Battalion Leeds
Militia, under Captain W. J. Smith. Since 1857 he has been a prominent
member of the Masonic Order. In 1873 he was elected to the Morrisburg



220 THB STORY OF DT7NDA.8

municipal council, and from 1877 until his resignation in 1881 was reeve. In
1884 he was again elected reeve, and resigned in 1886. He was warden of the
united counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry in 1879, and in that year
and also in 1882 he unsuccessfully contested the county in the Liberal in-
terests. He was again the party's candidate for the Legislature in 1886 and
was elected. His election was set aside by the courts and the following year
he again contested the county but was defeated by a small majority. For a
number of years the Doctor was a member of the Morrisburg Board of Ed-
ucation ; he carried on a general drug business in Morrisburg from 1866 to
1873 ; was coroner for the united counties from 1868 to 1879 ; was a member of
the Dundas Agricultural Association, and with his brother-in-law, W. G.
Parish, of Athens, established the three first cheese factories in eastern On-
tario. On July 3, 1862, the Doctor married the third daughter of the late A.
Parish, Esq., of Athens. Their family consists of one son, Dr. W. P. Cham-
berlain, now a practising physician of Toronto, and one daughter, who also
resides in Toronto.

Lieut. -Colonel James Pliny Whitney was born in the township of Williams-
burg, Dundas county, Oct. 2, 1843, being a son of Richard Leet Whitney
and Clarissa Jane Fairman, his wife. A few years later his father removed
to the west side of the township of Osnabruck, county of Stormont, on the
river front, where J. P. spent his early years on a farm. He was educated at
the Public schools and at the celebrated old Cornwall Grammar school ; stud-
ied law in the office of the late John Sanfield Macdonald, at one time Premier
of the old Province of Canada, and also the first Premier of Ontario. He gave
up the study of the law for a time, but returned to it and was called to the bar
of Ontario, in Trinity term, 1876, since which time he has practised his profes-
sion at Morrisburg. He spent five months as a volunteer in active service in
1886, and is now Lieut. -Colonel commanding the regimental division Dundas
reserve militia. He was the Conservative candidate in Dundas for the Legis-
lature in the general elections of Dec., 1886, and was defeated by Dr. Cham-
berlain by 25 majority. Dr. Chamberlain being unseated, Mr. Whitney was
returned on Jan. 31, 1888, by a majority of 28. His opponent in 1890 was Geo.
P. Graham, with majority for Mr. Whitney of 156. In 1894 he was opposed
by James Fox, and was returned by a majority of 187. In 1898 W. B. Lawson,
Chesterville,was the opposing candidate, when Mr. Whitney was again elected
by a majority of 126. In 1902 he was returned by an increased majority, his
opponent being W. G. Smyth, of Bowena. From the time he entered the
Legislature Mr. Whitney took a prominent place in the House and in the
councils of his party, and on the retirement of Mr. Marter, in April, 1896, was
unanimously chosen leader of the Opposition . He has the entire confidence
and respect of his followers in the House, and in March, 1899, was presented



PARLIAMENTARY LIFE 221

by them with a valuable testimonial of their regard. He is a member of the
Church of England, and has been a member of the Diocesan, Provincial and
General Synod, and is a lay reader. The only public offices held by Mr. Whit-
ney before entering the Legislature were those of High school trustee, and
commissioner for consolidating the statutes, to which he was appointed by
Sir Oliver Mowat. In 1890 he was created Queen's Counsel by the Go^ernor-
General. In June, 1902, the University of Toronto conferred upon him the
honorary degree of L. L. D. A short time afterwards Trinity University,
Toronto, gave him the honorary degree of D. C. L.,and in Oct., 1903, Queen's
University, Kingston, also conferred upon him the honorary degree of L. L.
D. Mr. Whitney married in 1877 Alice, third daughter of W. M. Park, Esq.,
of Cornwall, Ont., and his family consists of one son and two daughters.

GLENGARRY, CORNWALL AND 8TORMONT

For the following notices the writer is indebted to several editions of the
"Canadian Parliamentary Companion," and to such biographical works as
"Representative Canadians" (1886), by the Rose Publishing Co., and "Canad-
ian Men and Women of the Time" (1898), by Mr. Morgan. These latter publi-
cations have been helpful in other pages of this volume.

Hon. Donald McMillan, of Alexandria, Ont., is descended from a member
of the Clan McMillan, of Falcon Grove, Scotland. He was born in Glengarry
Co., Ont., March 5, 1835, and educated there by private tutor. In 1885 he
graduated an M. D. in the medical department of Victoria University, Tor-
onto. He married in St. Thomas, Nov. 17, 1857, Amy Ann, daughter of
Amassa Lewis, J. P., Alymer, Ont. He is a J. P. and Associate Coroner for
Glengarry. For some years he was a member of the Counties' Council, and
has been a Vice-President of the Medical Association of Ontario, and an
honorary member of the Celtic Society; in politics a Conservative, and in
January, 1884, was called to the Senate.

James Bethune, L. L. D., was born in Glengarry county, July 7, 1840. His
father was Angus Bethune, a descendant of a prominent U.E. Loyalist family;
his mother was Ann, daughter of John McKenzie, of Glengarry. Mr, Bethune
was enrolled as a student at Queen's College,Kingston,and University College,
Toronto, and from the latter he graduated in 1S61 with the degree of Bachelor
of Laws, and was called to the bar in 1862. While pursuing his university course
he studied law in the offices of the late Judge Pringle, Cornwall, and Edward
Blake, Toronto. He practised his profession in Cornwall for a time, was
County Crown Attorney for these counties, and was twice elected to the
Ontario Legislature. He removed to Toronto and became a member of the
firm of Blake, Kerr and Bethune.and later of Bethune, Osier and Moss. After
the appointment of Mr. Osier to the Bench the firm was known as Bethune,
Moss, Falconbridge and Hoyles. Mr. Bethune ranked well among the ablest



222 THH STORY OF DUNDA8

of Canadian lawyers. He was a Presbyterian in religion, and a Reformer in
politics. In 1860 he married Elizabeth, daughter of Dr. Battray, of Cornwall.

Lieut-Colonel Darby Bergin, M. D., Cornwall, was a son of the late Win.
Bergin,C. E.,who came from King's county, Ireland.and his wife, Mary Flana-
gan, of Charlottenburg, county of Glengarry. Dr. Bergin was born in Tor-
onto September 7th, 1826, in which city his father for a number of years
carried on a large mercantile business. He attended Upper Canada College,
and McGill University, Montreal, graduating from the latter in 1847 with the
degree of M . D. C. M . He began the practice of his profession in Cornwall,
where he became eminently successful. He was president of the Eastern
District Medical Association ; an examiner for the Ontario College of Phy-
sicians and Surgeons;vice-president and subsequently president of the Council
of the College of Physicians and Surgeons ; surgeon-general in the medical
department, connected with the militia during the Northwest Rebellion,
besides holding at different intervals many other public offices of trust. In
1861, during the Trent affair, he entered the volunteer militia service as cap-
tain of a company, raised by him ; in 1866 was created Major, and in 1869 be-
came Lieut-Colonel of the 59th Stormont and Glengarry Battalion. Dr.
Bergin was first returned to the House of Commons in 1872 by acclamation,
and his several subsequent elections were tributes to his worth as a legis-
lator. In politics he was a Conservative.

James Rayside, who for many years represented Glengarry in the Ontario
Legislature, was born in Montreal in April, 1836, and was a son of John and
Janet Grant Rayside. When quite young our subject was taken to the vil-
lage of Martintown by his grandparents. There he obtained an education,
learned the trade of carpenter and joiner, and afterwards engaged in the
occupation of millwright for some years. In 1862 he visited British Columbia
during the gold excitement. On April 7, 1864, he married Margaret, daughter
of David McDougall, of Charlottpnburg. From 1868 to 1S72 Mr. Rayside
was councillor and reeve of the township of Charlottenburg. For many
years he was prominent in the lumber trade. As a parliamentarian he was
useful and industrious. In religion Mr. Rayside was a Presbyterian, and in
politics a staunch Reformer.

William Mack, late of Cornwall, Ont., was born February 20, 1828, in Lan-
arkshire, Scotland, and while yet a child emigrated with his father's family to
Huntingdon, Que. He was educated there and in 1849, having previously
learned the milling trade, moved to Cornwall, where he assumed control
of the flouring mill then being built by John Harvey, of Toronto, but later
familiarly known as the Hitchcock mill. Subsequently he was manager of
the Elliott mills, and in 1861 he embarked in business on his own account as
proprietor of the Express mills, which he owned and controlled until his




MEMBERS OF PARLIAMENT, STORMONT AND GLENGARRY.
W. D. MacLeod. R. R. McLennan. W. J. McCart.

Wm. Mack. Dr. D. Bergin. Joseph Kerr.



PARLIAMENTARY LIFE 225

death, in December, 1897 . Mr. Mack took an active part in furthering the
commercial interests of Cornwall. He was a member of the Town Council
for some years ; was deputy-reeve and reeve at various intervals, and in the
year 1878 was warden of these rnited counties.* 'In politics he was a scaunch
Liberal, and was thrice elected to represent theielectoral riding of Cornwall
in the Ontario Legislature.

Joseph Kerr was born at Tompo, county Fermanagh, Ireland. When
mere lad he came to Canada and entered upon the industrial life that won
for him the affluence and high esteem he enjoyed throughout his career. He
engaged in railroading after coming to Canada, and soon became a con-
ductor on the G. T. R., being one of the first on that line. His mother and
brothers later came to Canada, and with the latter Mr. Kerr founded the firm
of Kerr Bros., which firm still carries on a successful mercantile business. He
was a contractor for a time, and was one of the directors of the company that
applied for the charter of the O. & N. Y. Railway, and it was largely due to
his co-operation with the late Dr. Bergin that the undertaking was carried to
a successful issue. Mr. Kerr was a staunch Conservative, and represented the
electoral district of Stormont from 1879 to 1886.

Patrick Purcell was of Irish and Scotch parentage ; his father was a native
of Kilkenny, Ireland, and his mother of Glengarry, Scotland. Mr. Purcell
was born in Glengarry Co., Ont., May 1, 1833. He married in 1852 Isabella,
daughter of Angus McDonald, of Glengairy. He was a railway and canal
contractor, and constructed St..Peter's canal, Nova Scotia ; section 21 of the
Intercolonial Railway ; 250 miles of the C. P. R, west from Port Arthur, and
several other important railway and canal works in Canada and the United
States. He was reeve of the township of Charlottenburg, and in the general
elections of 1887 he was elected to represent Glengarry in the House of Com-
mons. In politics he was a Liberal.

Lieut.-Col. Roderick McLennan, banker, contractor and legislator, is the
third son of the late Roderick McLennan, of Charlottenburg, Glengarry Co.,
Out., a veteran of 1837, and grandson of Farquhar McLennan, of Kintail, Ross-
ehire,Scotland,a veteran of 1812, who came to Canada and settled in Glengarry
Co., 1802. His maternal grandfather, Malcolm Macdonald, came from Inver-
ness-shire,Scotland,about the same time. Our subject was born at Glen Donald,
Charlottenburg, .Tan. 1, 1842, where he was educated. In early life he gained
distinction as an athlete, his record as thrower of the hammer of all weights
having never been equalled. Subsequently he became an extensive railway
contractor, and was engaged in the construction of the most difficult portions
of the Canadian Pacific Railway, north of Lake Superior. On retiring from
this occupation he commenced business as a private banker in Glengarry. Ha



226 THK STORY OF DUNDAS

was one of the promoters of the Glengarry Ranch Co., 1886. He has been a
director of various railway companies and is now a director of the Atlantic
and Lake Superior Railway Co., as well as of the Manufacturers' Life Ins. Co.,
of the Alexandria Manufacturing Co., and of the Cornwall Electric Light and
Gas Co., and President of the Eastern District Loan Co. A Conservative
in politics, he was President of the Glengarry Liberal-Conservative Associa-
tion from 1885 to 1890, and unsuccessfully contested the county for the
Ontario Legislature at the general elections of 1886. Returned to the House
of Commons at the general elections of 1891, he has since become a recognized
force in parliament. He moved for the bestowal of a substantial re-
cognition to the surviving veterans of '37-8 (see his "Address to the Surviving
Veterans, 1892"), and in 1895 introduced a bill for the exclusion of aliens from
public contracts. This Act was adopted in 1898. He holds a first-class R. S v
I. certificate, was appointed major of the 59th Battalion of Infantry in July.
1888, and was promoted Lieut. -Colonel Feb. 8, 1897. He is a Presbyterian,
and unmarried. He believes that the circumstances of the country require a
reasonable amount of protection to develop and encourage our growing in-
dustries. He is a strong advocate of British connection, and opposed to any
policy that might tend directly or indirectly to discriminate against the
mother country.

John Bennett, of Roxborough, Ont., son of the Hon. Thomas Bennett, late
member for the eastern division in the Legislative Council, was born at St.
Polycarpe, Que., 1832 ; educated at the public school, and later engaged in
farming. In the general elections of 1894 Mr. Bennett was elected to repre-
sent Stormont in the Legislative Assembly.

David M. MacPherson was born in Lancaster in 1847, and was educated at
the common school, subsequently engaging in farming and cheese
manufacturing. He was a commissioner to the Indian and Colonial Exhibition
in London, England, and was first returned to the Legislative Assembly at
the general elections of 1894.

John McLaughlin, who in 1898 was elected to represent Stormont in the
Legislative Assembly, is a son of Felix McLaughlin, of Brushine, county An-
trim, and his wife, Mary Prince, of county Down, Ireland. He was born Jan.
8, 1849, within two miles of Avonmore, township of Roxborough, Stormont



Online LibraryJ. Smyth CarterThe story of Dundas, being a history of the County of Dundas from 1784 to 1904 → online text (page 20 of 40)