J. Smyth Carter.

The story of Dundas, being a history of the County of Dundas from 1784 to 1904 online

. (page 21 of 40)
Online LibraryJ. Smyth CarterThe story of Dundas, being a history of the County of Dundas from 1784 to 1904 → online text (page 21 of 40)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


county, Ont. He was educated at the Public school, later becoming a farmer,
and also engaged in lumbering. He was deputy reeve of Roxborough in
1885-6, and elected to the Counties' Council in Jan., 1897. He has been presi-
dent of the Liberal-Conservative Association, president of Stormont Agri-
cultural Society, and a director and secretary of Roxborough township
agricultural society. He married June 28, 1870, Janet Runions, of Rox-
borough township.



PARLIAMENTARY LIFE 227

D. R. McDonald, of Alexandria, Ont., is of Scotch descent, and was born
in Madison county, Wisconsin, Dec., 1856. He was educated at Williamstown
High school. After a year's experience in the township council he was for
two years a member of the Counties' Council of Stormont, Dundas and Glen-
garry. He is a contractor and a farmer. In politics Mr. McDonald is a Con-
servative, and was elected to the Legislature in 1898.

W. J. McOart, the present representative of Stormont county in the
Provincial Legislature, received his early education at the Berwick Public
school and the Brockviile Business College. Upon leaving the latter institu-
tion he chose a mercantile career, being engaged as clerk at Finch, and
later at Maxville, and about thirteen years ago commenced business for him-
self at the latter place. After remaining there for two years he came to
Avonmore, opened a general store, and has since continued the business suc-
cessfully. Mr. McCart early evinced an interest in matters of a public char-
acter. At the age of twenty- eight he was a representative of Rox borough
township in the Counties' Council and before reaching thirty he was elected
to the Legislative Assembly.

W. D. MacLeod, Glengarry's representative in the Legislature, was
born in 1854, at Kirk Hill, Ont., where he now resides. He obtained his
education at the Public school at that place. At the age of twenty, after
having learned cheesemafcing, he entered business on his own account, and .
since then has controlled about twenty cheese factories, better known as the
"Kirk Hill Cheese Factories Combination." This calling and also that of
farming he stifl pursues. In January, 1900, he was selected as one of the candi-
dates for the Counties' Council, elected by a large majority, and satisfactorily
filled the position for two years. In August, 1901, he was chosen as standard-
bearer in the interests of the Conservative party, and on May 29th of the
following year was elected to the Legislature by a large majority, his oppon-
ent being David M. MacPherson. During the past number of years he has
honorably filled a number of prominent positions. In religion Mr. MacLeod
is a Presbyterian.



CHAPTER XIII



BIVOUAC AND CAMP-FIRE



In peace, there's nothing so becomes a man
As modesty, stillness and humility;
But when the blast of war blows in his ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger.

SHAKESPEARE*

WHAT a spirit we find animating any movement which effects the patriotic
life of a nation. In the military career there is a gallantry, nobleness of pur-
pose, and individual possibilities which cannot fail to thrill one's emotions* The
roll of nation-defenders is ever lengthening. They whose lives have been
thus sacrificed are worthy of enduring admiration. Let us ever cherish and
refresh our memory with their deeds of valor that they . be not forgotten
with the accumulation of years.

The war which brought to our shores the first settlers of this part of the
St. Lawrence valley and the conflicts which later occurred fanned the national
spirit. Militia organizations were soon found in the front townships, and as
early as June 20, 1788, a commission was issued by Lord Dorchester appoint-
ing Jacob Farrand captain in the battalion of militia of Williamsburg and
Matilda.

In 1803 the Dundas militia was directed by the following officers : (The
name of the Colonel is omitted); Lieut. -Colonel, Allan McDonell ; Major, Mai-*
colm McMartin ; captains, Michael Hanes, Farquhar McDonell, Cornelius
Munro, Allan Patterson ; lieutenants, Jacob Merkle, Henry Merkle, Michael
Ault, Jacob Weegar, Jesse Wright, John Serviss ; ensigns, John Shaver, John
Munro, Frederick Weaver, Jacob VanAllan, Michael Carman ; adjutant,
Jacob Weaver ; quartermaster, Alexander McDonell. Many of these had
served in the King's Royal Regiment of New York.

The annual militia report for 1808 was issued from York (Toronto) and
signed by Lieut. -Govern or Francis Gore. For Dundas the report mentions
one lieu t. -colonel, one major, four captains, five lieutenants, six ensigns, one



BIVOUAC AND CAMP-frfl?E 5S9

adjutant, one quartermaster, one surgeon, fourteen sergeants and two hund-
red and thirty-eight rank and file.

Not long after the issuing of that report "the war of 1812-14 took place.
The part played by the battalions of the' Eastern District was importa'n't.' As to
the uniforms worn by our militia previous to and during the war numerous
enquiries and considerable speculation have been rife. The 'reports 'from the
various military commanders make no reference to the'style" l of clotiiing; btt't
according to D.Brymer's report in the ArchlvesVa lef terrecefved from ftieLon*
don agent of Upper Canada, under date January 3l, 1821, 'bears the g'tafte-
taent of a field officer of the line who served with the incorporated militia.
The bfficer says : "They 1 bad no regular uniforms whatever, some had red coats
and blue or red facings, some had green coats, but most of them had no coats
at all."



In 1837 the militia of Dundas, which had previously been organized as
body, was divided into two regiments ; the militia residing in Williamsburg
and Winchester comprising the first regiment, while the second was made
up of those in Matilda and Mountain. The officers of each of these regiments
,are enumerated in the Eastern District militia report for 1838, as follows :
First regiment : Colonel, John Crysler ; lieut.-colonel, J. McDonell ; major,,
D. Clark ; captains, J. Merkley, S. Casselman, J. Merkley, jr., John Dick, P.
Munro, W. Casselman, J. P. Crysler, J. Hickey, G. Cook, W. Kylej R. Grey ;
lieutenants, J.Rose, J. Dillabough, A. Nudle, G. Weaver. '8. Dorih; W.
Swayne, C. Casselman, C. De Castle, J. Southworth 'i ensigns, Johii Willisef,
P. Loucks, J. Loucks, A. Colquhoun, J. L. Merkley, J.Tuttle, J. Dor in, 'W.
Bell, A. Summers, J. Marselles ; adjutant, J.' Dick; quartermaster, ''J.
Hanes ; surgeon, J. Grant. Second regiment : Colonel, G; Merkley ; Ii6ut.-
colonel, J. McDonell ; major (not given) ; captains, P. Shaver, D. Robertson,
M. Brown, J. Dorin, N. Shaver, Boulton, I. Ault, J. Brouse, N. Wert, W.
Shaver, J. Shaver, George Hall ; lieutenants, G. Brouse, J. West, G.-Dilla-
bough, 8. Shaver, N. Brouse, G. F. Shaver, P. Carman, J. Strader, S. Ault,
P. Serviss, J. Little, J. VanCamp ; ensigns, E. Vancamp, J. Parlow, D. Coons,
G. Carman, N. N. Brouse, J. Keeler, H. McCargar, P. Shaver., J. Mclntyre, H>
Boulton, G. Dorin ; adjutant, N. Bro.use ; quartermaster, R. Gray ; surgeon,
Alex. Wylie. ,

Additional local changes were effected in 1842, 'when the township's 1 of
Mountain and Winchester were separated from the front townships to= ! con-
stitute" the third battalion, buti i' 1852 tHe neW district was made Into two,
Mountain being styled the third and Winchester the fourth ' battalion. The
Militia Act of Canada was passed in 1855; By this act two classes of militia.,
active and sedentary, were created, each of the Ganadafe was divided i



230 THK STOBT OF DTJNDA8

military districts, and according to this arrangement Military Division No. 2
comprised Glengarry, Stormont, Dundas, Leeds and Grenville.

The following is a report of our militia for the year 1859 : First battalion
(Williamsburg), Lieut. -colonel A. G. Macdonell ; service men, 726; reserve
men, 187; total 913. Second battalion (Matilda), Lieut. -colon el, David Robin-
son ; service men, 548; reserve men, 150; total, 698. Third battalion (Mountain),
Lieut. -colon el, Edward Bronse; service men, 434; reserve, 35; total,469. Fourth
battalion (Winchester), Lieut. -Colonel, John P. Crysler; service men, 549 ; re-
serve, 114 ; total, 663. These with the officers made a total strength of 2,983.

At that time there was but one volunteer company in the county, known as
the First Volunteer Militia Rifle Cpmpany, of Williamsburg, with Captain
James Holden in command. The armory was situated at Morrisburg and
contained 50 minie rifles and accoutrements and 1,000 rounds of ball cart-
ridges. The Dundas Courier of March 13, 1863, contains the following: "Yes-
terday Brigade Major Jackson arrived here for the purpose of inspecting the
several volunteer compaines of our village (Morrisburg). In the evening a
general muster was made at the Town Hall, there being present the First
Williamsburg Rifles under command of Captain Holden, the Morrisburg Foot
Artillery Company under command of Captain Rubidge, and Captain Rose's
company of Light Infantry."

The Iroquois Artillery Company were conspicuous for a time. In 1865 they '
were inspected by Colonel Atcherley, who spoke complimentary of their ex-
cellent bearing. Referring to the Morrisburg and Ottawa artillery compan-
ies stationed at Fort Wellington in 1866 the Colonel reported : "These batter-
ies have been here since last November, are in excellent order, and the officers
are most zealous and enthusiastic."

Six regimental divisions constituted the Dundas militia in 1869, making an
available force of 3,609 men. The captains were: N. N. Brouse, Sidney Doran,
Isaac N. Rose, John Brouse, Joseph Hyndman, G. W. Bogart. For a number
of years the only military organization with regimental headquarters in Dun-
das was the Reserve Militia, but our close connection with surrounding
corps deserves some notice.

D. Squadron 4th Hussars, with headquarters at Glen Stewart, is under com-
mand of Major A. Binnington ; captain, J. B. Coates ; lieutenants, G. H.
Irvine and A. G. Anderson. The 4th Hussars, organized April 30, 1875, have
regimental headquarters at Kingston, with squadron headquarters at King,
ston, Napanee, Loughborough and Glen Stewart. The officers of the regi
ment include lieu t. -colonel Thomas Clyde ; major (2nd in command), Urias H.
Holmes ; paymaster, J. P. Vrooinan ; quartermaster, R. E. Aiken ; medical
officer, H. R. Duff ; veterinary officer, Edward Ming.



BIVOUAC AND CAMP-FIRE 231

The 56th Grenville regiment (Lisgar Rifles) was organized April 12, 1867,
regimental headquarters at Prescott, and company headquarters as follows :
No. 1 Co., Prescott; No. 2, Iroquois; No. 3, Manotick; No. 4, Kemptville; No. 5,
North Augusta; No. 6, Spencerville; No. 7,Metcalfe; No. 8,Lansdowne. Lieut.-
Colonel John Butler Chickley is now in charge. The Iroquois Co. is under
command of Capt. D. A. Macdonell.

The 69th Battalion Stormont and Glengarry Infantry was organized
July 3, 1868. The early officers of the battalion were as follows : lieut.-
col., D. Bergin ; majors, D. B. McLennan, William S. Wood ; No. 1 Co.
(Cornwall), capt. D. McCourt; lieut., Bard Davey; ensign, George McMahon ;
No. 2 Co. (Cornwall), capt., G. Mattice; lieut., R. Smyth; ensign, John Smart ;
No. 3 Co. (Cornwall), capt., P. G. McLennan; ensign, Hy. Turner ; No. 4 Co.,
(Lancaster), capt., A. B. McLennan; lieut., R. N. Macdonald; ensign, G. H.
McDowell; No. 5 Co. (Williamstown), capt., John Barrett; lieut., John A.
McDonald; ensign, John W. Grout ; No. 6 Co. (Lunenburg), capt., Oscar
Fulton; lieut., Cyril Archibald ; No. 7 Co. (Dunvegan), capt., D. McDiarmid;
lieut., D. J. McCuaig; ensign, John J. McCuaig ; paymaster, John Copeland;
adjutant, D. A. Macdonald; quartermaster, J. D. Amable; surgeon, Angus
Macdonald. M. D.; assistant-surgeon, D. D. Smith, M.D. In 1872 the Farran's
Point company was transferred from the 56th to the 59th regiment.

Lieut. -Col. J. H. Bredin, who succeeded D. Bergin in command of the
battalion, began his military career about the time of the "Trent Affair."
He was then attending college at Cobourg and upon the formation of a
student company Mr. Bredin was elected ensign. In December, 1864, he
secured second-class standing at the Military School, Toronto, under the 16th
Regiment of the Line, and in May, 1865, obtained from the same institution
a first-class certificate under the 47th regiment. He was the first cadet in
Stormont county to receive this latter standing, the first in Glengarry being
Duncan B. McLennan. In 1866 he was instrumental under the late
Col. Bergin in raising Nos. 5 and 6 companies of the 59th ; in May and June,
1870, during the Fenian trouble, he was in command of an outpost at the head
of Cornwall canal ; in 1875 was promoted to the rank of junior major in the
59th ; in April, 1885, was appointed Lieut. -Col., which position he held for
twelve years, resigning in 1897, having been faithfully connected with the
militia for thirty -one years. The next commanding officer was Lieut. -Col.R.
R. McLennan, succeeded by Lieut.-Col. G. Baker. The regimental headquart-
ers of the 59th is at Cornwall, with company headquarters as follows :
No. 1 Co., Cornwall; No 2, Cornwall; No. 3, Alexandria; No. 4, Finch township;
No. 5, Farran's Point ; No. 6, Williamstown; No. 7,Roxborongh township; No.
8, Maxville. The present officers are : Lieut. -col., H. A. Morgan ; majors, R.
Smith, A. G. F. Macdonald ; Captains, George E. Gosling, A. A. Smith, H. W.
Lumb, D. N. McLean, J. W. Bredin, H. A. Cameron, Francis Trousdale, J. A



232 THE STORY OF DUNIXAS

%

B. McLennan; lieutenants, J. S. Leitch, C. Ferguson, W. A. McCIeave. The
ordinary infantry uniform has been used by the regiment but this year (1904)
there was adopted the uniform of the Scottish line regiment, consisting of
scarlet doublet and tartan trews. There has also been established a pipe baud
wearing the Highland uniform of dark green doublet, kilt of McLennan tar-
tan, and plaid of the Sunderland tartan, Glengarry bonnets.

WAB OF 1812-14 BATTLE OP CRYSLER'S FARM

The annals of war are replete with incidents of a romantic character, tales
of bloodshed and times of domestic and national suffering. It has been said
that "we sometimes win by losing," and judging by the results of many of
the great national conflicts, the application of the saying seems to have been
verified. What were the results of England's humiliation at the close of the
American War of Independence ? It Would be unwise to attempt an answer,
but one sequel of that sanguinary conflict was the settling of this part of On-
tario by as heroic a band of people as ever braved the wilds of an unbroken
wilderness.

The stereotyped causes of the war of 1812-14 are quite familiar. The ill
effects wraught by the Berlin Decree and the retaliatory Orders-ih-Council
were supplemen ted by A merican lack of sympathy for British institutions.
Canada's population, although small, proved a unit in withstanding the at-
tacks of the enemy. At Queenston Heights the defeat of the Ameri-
cans was decisive, but the loss of the brave Canadian stalwart, Major-
General Sir Isaac Brock, caused deep and universal sorrow. General Brock
had been an important figure in moulding Canada's future, a fact evidenced
by the fine monument erected to his memory, which crowns the Niagara
Heights. Among others who fell in that engagement was Brock's aide-de-
camp. Colonel McDonell, of Glengarry, a noble young man whose life was
full of promise.

Little of local significance occurred in the early part of the war. The
enemy's attack on Brockville and the capture of Ogdensburg by the British
were indicative of future events. Of the former Leavitt, the historian of
Leeds and Grenville, says : ''On the 6th February, 1813, Captain Forsyth,
the American cammander at Ogdensburg, was induced by parties from this
side of the line to make a descent upon Brockville, the report having been
circulated that the American prisoners confined in the gaol there were being
treated with severity. The raiding party consisted of Captain Forsyth's com-
pany and citizen volunteers, numbering all told about 200. They left Ogdens-
burg about nine o'clock in the evening, proceeding by sleighs to the rear of
Morristown. They crossed the ice in two divisions, flank guards being de-
spatched to each side of the town while the main body was stationed at Court



BIVOUAC AND CAMP-FIRH 235

House square. Forsyth with a few men entered the gaol, demanded the keys,
which were surrendered, and all the prisoners, except one charged with
murder, liberated. A number of prominent citizens were taken prisoners and
conveyed to Ogdensburg with the exception of Dr. Hubbell, who was paroled
at Morristown. Among the prisoners were Major Carley, three captains and
two lieutenants. The enemy took away one hundred and twenty muskets,
twenty rifles, two casks of ammunition, and some other public stores. Private
property was, not molested. The excuse given for the expedition by Ameri-
can writers was that the Canadian force, stationed at Brock vi lie (then known as
Elizabethtown), had frequently crossed the river in the vicinity of Morristown
and apprehended deserters. A few hours after the arrival of the prisoners at
Ogdensburg two officers from Prescott visited the American headquarters
and secured their parole with, we believe, the exception of Major Carley, who
was subsequently exchanged."

This attack so aroused the British that retaliation soon resulted in a suc-
cessful attack upon Ogdensburg. Of this event (Uncle) Jacob Brouse often
related that as the river was frozen over at Prescott the British troops locat-
ed at the fort there were drilled on the ice, each day proceeding a little
nearer the American side . Finally one day the British general gave the or-
der to charge, and with a cheer his men dashed into Ogdensburg, supprised the
garrison,and captured the place. Of this action Mr. Leavitt says: "Early on the
morning of the 22nd of February Leiut. -Colonel McDonnell marched the British
force out upon the ice in two columns but not with the intention of making
an attack. One column directed its attention to a point where a breastwork
had been thrown up below the village of Ogdensburg ; the other menaced the
stone garrison at the upper portion of the village. The first and largest column
marched directly into the village. Only a few shots were fired by the Yankees
from the two cannon in that quarter, the enemy falling back across the
Oswegatchie and joining the force under Forsyth, the Commander-in-Ohief.
Duncan Fraser and Jonas Jones were at this juncture despatched by Col.
McDonnell under a flag of truce to the American headquarters at the stone
garrison with a demand for an unconditional surrender. Forsyth's answer
was, "Tell Colonel McDonnell there will be more fighting." The bearer of the
reply had no sooner entered the ranks when the battle commenced. After a
sharp encounter Forsyth was driven from his position and his order given to
retreat to Thuber's Tavern.near Black Lake. Fifty-two prisoners were taken
by the British and conveyed to Canada. The Americans lost five killed
and eighteen wounded. Most of the prisoners were paroled ; several were
sent to Montreal where they were for a time confined, a few making their
escape, and the balance exchanged. The British held possession of the
village during the day, securing a large amount of public stores and munitions



236 THE STORY OF DUNDAS

of war. Before departing the barracks were burned and an attempt made to
destroy the bridge.

The succeeding months however brought considerable success to the
American arms, and finally a combined attack on Montreal was plan-
ned. To carry out that design General Wilkinson was to descend the St.
Lawrence and join another division of the American army. Wilkinson and
his men started eastward. By a strategic movement they succeeded in
passing Kingston, where the commanding officer, Lieut-Colonel Peareon, was
on duty. Fearing the guns at Prescott, Wilkinson landed his men on the
American shore about two miles above the town and by a circuitous route
marched south of Ogdensburg. Under cover of darkness the flotilla
managed to pass Fort Wellington unnoticed and received the troops at
the Bed Mills some distance below. William BroUse used to relate
that after the Americans regained their boats they wasted a deal of am-
munition firing at stumps along the Canadian shore, evidently mistaking
them for lurking sharp-shooters by the light of the moon. They
were however unmolested until they reached Point Iroquois, where they were
fired upon by a picquet, among whuru were Messrs Jacob and Peter Brouse.
A company of Dundas militia, about two hundred strong, under Captain
Monroe, were stationed close at hand and quickly opened fire. The ad*
vance boats of the Americans hastily directed their course to the
other side of the river. The main portion of the fleet under General Wilk-
insin, only a short distance up the river, reckoning what had happened,
disembarked at Jacob Brouse's farm and proceeded eastward. About a
mile below Iroquois (Matilda) they halted ; they were soon joined by the other
portion of the fleet and there the whole body remained from Sunday until
Tuesday. During their stay they purchased from the farmers such neces-
saries as they required and paid for same in Spanish coin . The officers
were courteous, and gave strict orders that the soldiers should respect the
homes and household property of the farmers. When encamped there a
British officer asked William Brouse to sauuter down the road and see what
the Americans were doing. He obeyed, returned and reported, and was re-
warded with a dollar.

On the morning of Tuesday, Nov. 10th, the Americans proceeded down the
front road, not wishing to embark until their boats had run Bapide du Plat.
Their advance caused alarm. Many of the residents had taken to the woods,
carrying bedding, food and other necessaries. Along the river was the houf e
of one Burgoyne, where the British soldiers generally disembarked to march
past the rapids. The little daughter of the home (afterwards Mrs. Stewart)
was quite a favorite with the soldiers, who used to chat with her. Upon their
arrival at this place the Americans ransacked the premises in the vain hope



BIVOUAC AND CAMP-FIRE 237

of finding concealed military stores. Those who saw them on their march
down the front classed them as a "ragged lot." Arriving at the store of one
Glassford they freely helped themselves, in the absence of the clerks. The
stock of boots and clothing was freely appropriated, while their old garments
were left strewn over the floor. Soon after leaving this place they embarked
and proceeded to a point about five miles below the site of the present town
of Morrisburg, where they were met by another division of the American
army under General Brown. In order to clear the way of any possible ob-
structions and also hoping to seize the British supplies, Brown with a consid-
erable force was despatched by land to Cornwall. At Hoople's Creek he was
opposed by the Glengarry militia, about 1,300 in number, under command of
Major Dennis. The militia fired a few shots at the enemy, but being undis-
ciplined and poorly armed an engagement was not ventured, while Brown
pushed on to Cornwall, his boats having successfully run the Sault. Dur-
ing the attack, however, some of the Americans were wounded. One of these
was left near the house of an old lady, Mrs. Hoople, who brought the wound-
ed man in, cared for him till he died, and then had him decently buried.
Some years later these facts were represented to the American government
with the result that Mrs. Hoople received the sum of six hundred dollars.

The news of Brown's approach caused great excitement throughout Stor-
mont and Glengarry and soon an expedition was despatched to Cornwall to
secure the Government stores located there. The venture was successful and
before the arrival of the Americans their expected booty had been removed
via St. Andrews and Martintown to Coteau du Lac. The Highlanders then
returned to their homes, delighted with the success of their mission. Refer-
ring to the Americans stay at Corn wall Judge Pringle wrote : "Brown's bri-
gade occupied the front of lots 17, 18 and 19. The officers took possession of
the farm houses. The men bivouaced in the fields. They helped themselves
to the contents of the barns and granaries and to all the provisions they
could lay their hands on. Every stick of fence on the farm was burned and
diligent search was made for any valuables which might have been concealed
in cellars or gardens. Mrs. Anderson's winter stock of preserves had been



Online LibraryJ. Smyth CarterThe story of Dundas, being a history of the County of Dundas from 1784 to 1904 → online text (page 21 of 40)