J. Smyth Carter.

The story of Dundas, being a history of the County of Dundas from 1784 to 1904 online

. (page 23 of 40)
Online LibraryJ. Smyth CarterThe story of Dundas, being a history of the County of Dundas from 1784 to 1904 → online text (page 23 of 40)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Soon the British and Canadian forces were lined up and the attack opened
so effectually that the enemy were again and again dislodged from their
concealed quarters and finally sought refuge in their cifadel, the windmill,
and other stone buildings near by. While the action was in progress
the 2nd Htorrnont militia arrived. On Tuesday afternoon a barn, which had
afforded shelter to the British, was burned by the enemy. On Wednesday
an armistice Was arranged and for a time each party was engaged in bury-
ing the dead. Thursday saw but little action. The brigands within the wind-
mill maintained a desultory fire, while the British were awaiting reinforce-
ment of larger guns. Shortly after noon on Friday their hopes were realized
by the arrival of three steamers, having on board four companies of the 83rd
regiment of the line and a detachment of the Royal Artillery with three 24
pounders. The latter were quickly utilized in conjunction with the armed
boats on the river under Captain Sandom, and the effect Was so great that
the rebels soon deserted the stone houses to join their brethren in the mill.
Within thirty minutes from the time the cannonade began a white flag was
seen to wave from the tower. No attention was paid to it for a time, the
volleys continued to pour in upon them,and the buildings in the vicinity of the
mill were set on fire, the whole scene presenting a terrible spectacle in the
prevailing darkness. At length the firing ceased and the rebels marched
out. Von Schoultz and others were found concealed among the bushes.
One hundred and ten prisoners surrendered while possibly fifty had previous-
ly been taken prisoners. At the trial which followed Von Shoultz was de-
fended by John A. Macdonald, a young lawyer, it being his first case. As a
result of this trial twelve rebels, including the leader, were convicted and

After the engagement there were discovered in the mill several hundred
kegs of powder, a large quantity of cartridges, pistols, swords, two hundred
stands of arms of superior design and a flag of finest silk texture, having
inscribed on it a spread eagle surmounted by one star, and beneath were
the words, "Liberated by the Onondaga Hunters." As to the loss sustained


by each of the opposing forces, it is believed that about forty of the rebels
were slain, among whom were three officers, and in the pocket of one of them
was fou nd a paper containing a list of proscribed persons inPrescott who were
to have suffered death. The British lost two officers and eleven rank and file
killed, and four officers and sixty-three men wounded. Each of the wounded
received a life pension of 20 annually. The officers slain were Lie uteijant
Johnston of the 83rd regiment, who fell within sixty yards of the mill, and
Lieutenant Dulmage of the first battalion Grenville militia. The wounded
officers were,lieut,-colonel Gowan, lieut. -colonel Parker, lieutenant Parlow, of
the Dundas militia, and lieutenant A. McDonnell, of the Glengarry High-
landers. Of the Dundas militia four were killed and seven wounded. Among
the slain were Jeremiah Bouck, of Matilda; while in the list of wounded
who later received pensions were lieut. Parlow, previously mentioned, and
William Errington, of Matilda.

Few indeed are the surviving veterans of the troubles of '38. One of these,
Peter Roberts, of Iroquois, recalls many details of interest relative to those
hostile days and of the unusual stir along our frontier. In the vicinity of Ma-
tilda George Brouse visited the homes of Sandy Burnside and others to secure
teams for service. Each call was heartily obeyed and that same night the
journey to Prescott was undertaken. Upon arriving at Johnstown the men
abandoned the wagons, retreated from the front about one mile and then by
a circuitous route landed west of the windmill about daylight. William Len-
nox, lately deceased, was among the wounded in the Windmill action, and al-
though his claim for a pension was presented no material recognition of
it resulted. This and similar instances reminds us of the lack of apprec-
iation shown by our Federal and Provincial governments of these men,
the brave volunteers of 1837-8. The writer regrets that it is impossible to
furnish the names of those from Dundas who so loyally responded as no list is
extant at the militia department. In a letter received from the office of the
Dominion Archivist he says : "The officers and men of the Dundas
militia who took part in the battle of the Windmill, near Preseott, in Nov-
ember, 1838, belonged to a corps named the "Embodied Dundas Militia," and
were 400 strong. They were drawn from the first and second regiments Dun-
das militia and embodied for six months under the command of Lieut. -Col.
John Crysler. It is impossible for me to give you the names of the men who
took part in this battle."

During those months of warlike demonstration the town of Cornwall was
well guarded, the garrison consisting of the first and second Stormont militia
under Col. P. Vankoughnet and Col. D. E. McDonald, respectively ; a com-
pany of Dragoon Lancers under command of Major Jarvis (afterwards Judge
Jarvis) ; afield battery commanded by Capt. Pringle (father of the late


Judge Pringle); an independent company of volunteers commanded by
Capt. George Crawford, and two Glengarry regiments, one commanded
by Col. Chisholm, the other by Col. (Greenfield) Macdonell. This force was
under the direction of Col. C. B. Turner.

Along our eastern frontier .the first excitement was the news that the
steamer Henry Brougham and crew had, on Nov. 2, 1838, been seized by the
rebels at Beauharnois. Among the passengers was D. E. Mclntyre, then an
army surgeon, later sheriff of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry; Donald Mc-
Nicol, of Williamstown; John S. McDougall, Duncan McDonell and Martin
Carman, of Cornwall. Some companies of the Glengarry and Stormont
militia were despatched to Beauharnois; scarcely any fighting occurred,as the
French quickly dispersed, leaving the prisoners to their freedom, which
they had been deprived of for several days. During that period they had
been moved from place to place and at the time of the attack were con-
fined in the priest's house, through which a few stray bullets flew,
fortunately without injury to anyone. From what can be learned the
march of the militia though the French settlement on their way to Beauhar-
nois was characterized by wanton destruction of property. They burned
buildings and seized many horses in the district and hence it was often said
they began the journey as infantry and landed in Beauharnois as cavalry.


The Fenians, styling themselves "Liberators of Ireland," caused some
trouble along our frontier in 1866. To meet this danger ten thousand Can-
adian volunteers were called for and in the course of twenty-four hours that
number was exceeded. Among the loyal Canadians who responded was the
Queen's Own, a Toronto volunteer corps, composed of college students and
other patriotic young men of that city, some of whom gave up their lives in
driving the invaders from the Niagara peninsula. An attack on Prescott and
subsequent advance to Ottawa was nipped in the bud at the former place by
the presence of a considerable force of volunteers, including two companies
from Dundas, while the placing of a British gunboat on the river reminded the
invaders that the liberties of Ireland must, be otherwise sought. The Fen-
ians then moved eastward to Malone and vicinity, and an attack on Cornwall
was expected, but the presence of three thousand troops there again van-
quished their hopes. After some further demonstration in the Eastern Town-
ships the annoyfince was removed by the interference of the United States
government,. who awakened to the fact that from their shores war was being
made on a friendly nation.

Another Fenian scare occurred on May 24th, 1870, and Cornwall was again
filled with soldiers. The force consisted of the 59th Cornwall Battalion, 18th


Haw kesbury, 41st Brockville, the Ottawa Garrison Artillery and Field Bat-
tery and the Iroquois Garrison Artillery, 1,027 men in all. For a few days
excitement ran high, but the routing of the Fenians at Pigeon Hill and Trout
River taught them that campaigning in Canada was not the holiday they
had anticipated.

Fenian Raid medals were distributed in 1900. Each medal is of heavy
silver, of the regular British army medal pattern, prettily designed, with red
and white silk ribbon attached ; the heavy silver clasp bears the date and the
words, "Fenian Raid," and OQ the rim of, the medal the name of the recipient.
According to information furnished by the Militia Department the following
are the names of those who have received medals for service with the Iroquois
Garrison Artillery in 1866 : W. Millar, F. Rourke, C. I. Shaver, W. C.
Hartle, E. Serviss, 8. I. Boyd, D. Armstrong, W. Jennack, C. Z. Skinner, J.
Price, S. Morris, J. F. Macdonell, J. Labile, N. Burley, G. Shaver, T. Warren,
J. A. Stewart, D. Armstrong, John Black, A. Grant, J. Kane, E. McRobie, E.
Strader, T. Campbell, W. A. Warren, A. Eamon, W. Moore, T. Tuergeon.

The following names appear in the active service pay-sheet of the
Morrisburg Garrison Artillery in 1866 : (Captain) Rubidge, Carman, Robert-
son, Brice, Moore, Winegard, Tallon, Fawks, Pyper, Heagle, Hughes, Froats,
Sherbenant, Coutlee, S. Hopper, C. Hopper, Hall, Hunter, Igoe, Jamieson,
Jackson, Loper, Lane, Laporte, McAphee, McGillvary, McDonnell, Snyder,
Stanger, Armstrong, Alaria, Brendstetter, A. Castleman, L. Castleman,
Cooper, Cowdney, Colligan, Cook, Flynn, Gordon, Gutherie, Halpen, Hughes,
N. Holmes, A . Holmes, Mackey, G. Merkley, M. Merkley, S. Merkley, Mayer,
J. Porteous, A. Porteous, Rice, Smith, J. Sherbenant, D. Shaver, G.
Shaver, Stata, Stewart, D. Simpson, J. Simpson, Roberts, Sayers.


To every Canadian the cause of that bitter struggle is familiar. The in-
solent treatment of eighty thousand of Her Majesty's subjects could not
longer be endured. British justice must prevail. The war barometer rose
and fell until finally came President Kruger's astounding ultimatum, which
meant war in the Transvaal. Canada, the fairest colony of Great Britian,
cheerfully responded to the Empire's call. From Victoria to Charlotte town,
our young men, the very flower of Canada, hastened to offer their ser rices,
and we are glad that in that great national crisis old Dundas bore well her
part. In the following paragraphs we make reference to those who took part:

J. Lome Bouck, son of R. M. Bouck, of Morrisburg, was residing in Mon-
treal at the outbreak of the war. Leaving a lucrative situation he secured a
place on the first contingent. He served loyally during his enlistment, took
part in many engagements aud returned home with other members of the


contingent. After spending a few months with his parents and friends he
again enlisted for service on the S. A. C. force and went to South Africa,
where he has since remained.

John Major, born in South Mountain, March 9, 1872, entered military life in
1891, going to Kingston, where he served three years in "A" Battery. In
1897 he took a course at Toronto military school, and in October, 1899, enlisted
with the first Canadian contingent for South Africa, going out as a sergeant.
He saw service there and arrived home November 1, 1900. In April, 1901, he
went to Halifax where he served one year garrison duty ; enlisted in the
3rd C. M. B., and on August 9, 1902, arrived home from his second voyage
to the scene of war.

H. B. McGee, of Iroquois, saw service in South Africa, although at the
time of his enlistment he was absent from this county. In the land of the veldt
and kopje he spent sixteen months in active service and three months on
the mounted police force. In common with many of his fellows Mr. McGee
is the holder of two medals, the Queen's and King's, respectively.

Wm. Vanallen, one of the youngest Canadians to serve in the Boer war,
was born in 1884. During his youth he resided at Vancamp, and later at
Mountain, where his father, W. S. Vanallen, the well known agent, con-
ducted business. Will was prominent in sporting circles, being an active
member of the Mountain football team. When quite young he joined the
militia, and at the age of eighteen had attained the rank of sergeant in No. 4
Comany 56th Regiment, Lisgar Rifles, when he enlisted as a member of the
3rd Canadian Mounted Rifles.

Isaac Shea, a young man of Irish descent, who at the time of the war was
residing near Winchester, Ont., enlisted and went to the front. He was a
member of the second Canadian contingent.

Alexander Wm. C. Munro, son of Geo. A. Munro, of Chesterville, was a
member of the fourth contingent as a private. Previous to his en-
listment he was engaged in business at Montreal. He recently received
his certificate for a land grant of 160 acres in New Ontario, in return for his
service to King and country .

Mathew Carlyle, son of Q-eorge Carl yle, of Morewood, was residing in west-
ern Canada during the Boer-British war. He enlisted in the fourth conting-
ent, proceeded to the scene of trouble, but did not see active service ow-
ing to the termination of hostilities.

S M. Liezert, now of Vancamp, was at Cran brook, B. C., when the call to
arms came. He enlisted in 1901, as a member of the second C. M. R., leaving
Halifax Jan. 28, 1902, on a voyage of 28 days to Durban. He was in several


Alex. W. C. Munro. Jas. G. Stephenson. G. H. Irvine.

Wm. Vanallen. A. B. Ault. J. Lome Bouck.

John Major. L. W. R. Mulloy. S. M. Liezert, jr.

H. B. McGee. Capt. I). A. Macdonell. D. E. Beach.


actions, including the Hart's River fight, where he was wounded. From the
Imperial Government he receives a pension of 36 cents per day but a slight
remuneration for physical sacrifice.

A. E. Ault, son of the late I. R . Ault , was born at Aultsville in 1869. He
enlisted as a private in the South African war, but was promoted to Troop
Sergeant in the field. He served under General Hutton during 1900 in the
J^oyal Canadian Dragoons, Col. F. L. Lessard commanding. Sergeant Ault
participated in forty-four engagements great and small, including fifteen
general engagements, some of which were Brantford, Vet River, Zand River,
Diamond Hill, Wetpoort and Belfast. He received a five barred war medal,
Belfast, Diamond Hill, Johannesburg, Orange Free State and Cape Colony.

James George Stephenson, of Morewood, Ont., enlisted in March,
1901. After being on duty about a year in the dark continent he succumbed
to an attack of enteric fever . Through the kindess and liberality of the people
of Morewood and vicinity a monument was erected to his memory on the
Public school grounds. At the unveiling, which was performed by A. Broder,
M. P., a large crowd was present, and the day was unique in the history of
the place. On behalf of the memorial committee, Mr. Broder presented the
monument to S. S. No. 12, Winchester, which called forth a fitting reply from
John McCormick, secretary of the school board. The monument is in the
form of a red granite broken column, erected on two massive grey granite
bases, and bears the following inscription: "Erected by the citizens of More-
wood to the memory of James George, son of Thomas and Elizabeth Stephen-
son,of Morewood, Ont., who died at Pretoria, South Africa, on March 13, 1902,
while engaged in defence of the Empire on the S. A. C. in the Boer war, aged
24 years, 9 months and 4 days."

G. H. Irvine, of Hainsville, Ont., was on April 25, 1902, appointed 1st Lieut,
in the sixth regiment Canadian Mounted Rifles for service in South Africa.
This regiment together with the third, fourth and fifth constituted the fourth
contingent. Two vessels were chartered to carry this contingent, one of these,
the Windifredian, leaving Halifax May 16th. During the voyage Lieut. Irvine
was placed in charge of 45 men and 50 horses. Two funerals occurred at sea,
one that of a sailor who succumbed to pneumonia; the other a soldier who
met death by accident while hoisting hay up a hatchway. The horses suffer-
ed most, twenty-seven dying at sea. On June 16th Durban was reached
and the trip up country as far as Newcastle was made. Peace having been
proclaimed the men were there ordered into camp. Leaving Durban on July
2, 1902, per S. S. Cestrian, the journey homeward was uneventful but pleas-

Captain D. A. Macdonell, of Iroquois, a member of the second Canadian
contingent, says of his voyage to the theatre of war: "The battery to which I


had the honor to belong entrained at Ottawa on January 15, 1900. Arriving
at Halifax the men were quartered in the armories for a few days before em-
barking on the transport Laurentian which left Halifax Sunday, January 21st.
Three days after leaving port gun drill was commenced, and to many of us,
myself included, the work was new. Upon our arrival at Cape Town the
news of the several recent reverses told us that our opportunity to partici-
pate in the struggle had come. The battery was detained at the Cape for a
few days when we were sent up country." For some years before going to
South Africa Mr, Macdonell was connected with the Canadian militia, being
honored with the commission of Captain in the 56th Grenville Regiment,
Lisgar Rifles. He went to South Africa as a gunner in "D" Battery R. C. A.,
where he received a commission in the Royal Berkshire Regiment, in
the Imperial service, in which capacity he nobly served until the close of
hostilities. At the close of the war he accompanied his regiment to
Egypt, and was stationed at Alexandria until his return to Canada . Capt.
Macdonell appears to have inherited his ardent patriotism and love of mili-
tary life. James Macdonell was a sergeant in Sir John Johnston's regiment
during the Revolutionary War, and at its close settled on what was later
known as the Macdonell homestead, east front, Matilda. His successor was
Capt. Alex. Macdonell, father of the subject of this sketch, who raised a com-
pany and served through the Fenian troubles in 1866.

L. W. R. Mulloy, a hero of the Boer- British war, whose name and valor have
resounded throughout the Empire, was born in Dundas county, and is a son
of George Mulloy and his wife, Mary Redmond. During service in South
Africa Trooper Mulloy received a wound which robbed him of his sight, but
in that fight he won the medal which is given solely for "distinguished con-
duct in the field." While in England his manly bearing and true
moral courage brought him prominently into public notice. Referring to his
famous Liverpool speech, particularly the sentiment Expressed, "For me
the past has no regret," The London Telegraph said : "If anything was
needed to crown the signal honors won by the Dominion in the war it would
be the Spartan speech of Trooper Mulloy, which swept the audience at Liver-
pool with passionate enthusiasm." The following narrative of his experiences
in the war has been kindly contributed by Mr. Mulloy for this volume :

Winchester, Ont., September 19, 1904.


In answer to your request for a letter on my experiences in the late Boer
war, I may state that I cannot hope to include anything like a detailed account
of my "army life." I can perhaps give a short sketch, closing with an ac-
count of the fight in which I was wounded, which you particularly wished I
should relate.


In the dark days of the late war, during those terrible first days when our
national flag was being dragged in the dust of humiliation and defeat, the
patriotic hearts of Canadians beat strong and high. As reverse succeeded re-
verse with startling rapidity the danger of outside international complica-
tions grew greater. It was seen that unless the tide of events quickly turned
the ominous lowering clouds about us might break in all their jealous fury,
threatening our very existence as a nation. There was no denying the un-
spoken call from the mother country. Everyone felt it, and there was a gen-
eral feeling of relief when a second offer of aid was made by the Canadian
government. The tens of thousands who gladly pushed forward to offer
themselves for service proved that Canadians have strong arms and willing
hearts, and a tendency to forget selfish interests in times of national danger.

War is of course deplored by all sensible people as a great evil. It is admit,
ted, however, that greater evils are possible, such as the destruction of any
of those principles of equity, justice and liberty, which underlie civilization
as we see it to-day. There are times when it is as much a man's duty to go to
war as it would be his duty to protect his family in case they should be attack-
ed. When therefore reverses threatened the continuance of an empire of
which I proudly claimed citizenship, and whose influence I knew to be al-
ways for the extension of civil liberty and higher civilization, I concluded
that my duty was to offer myself.

I was at this time filling the position of principal in the school at Navan, a
small hamlet a few miles east of Ottawa. I intended entering the university
the following fall. After giving the situation careful and calm consideration
I decided to obey the call of my higher nature. To decide was to act, and so
strenuously did I apply myself to the carrying out of my plan that I was suc-
cessful in obtaining a position in the little group of ten men the total com-
plement from the Ottawa district. After this preparatory step, I went home
to obtain the consent of my friends. Needless to say it was granted, and
farewells being over I rejoined the little company of Ottawans. I do not
remember ever seeing ten happier fellows than we the night we took the
solemn oath "to pursue Her Majesty's enemies to the death wherever we
found them, whether on land or sea." We proceeded to Montreal where
mobilization was in progress. After receiving our new uniforms we began
to learn of drill and regular army discipline. With drill most of us had prev-
ious experience, which was more than could be said for the forlorn members
of the "Awkward Squad." With discipline, however, standing for its full
significance in the regular army, I venture to assert that none of us could
boast even a previous bowing acquaintance. Not that I had anything to
complain of, for during my eleven months in the army my name was never
entered on the defaulters' sheet. This was due I admit not so much to good


conduct as to good fortune and a certain bit of n ative philosophy, which
always reminded me that it was easier to go around or over a stone wall than
to collide with it. There is only one way to approach either a thoroughly bad
mule or a tyrannical officer. The latter is only approachable by a subordinate
when he is asleep, when if proper meekness be shown no harm need be ex-
pected, while all army men agree that the only safe way to approach the
former is to descend upon 'him from a baloon. The mule has only one way
of coining at you and that is through the exercise of his prehensile hind legs,
while the officer has ways and means innumerable at his disposal. Thus of
the two I prefer every time to take chances with the four legged animal.

Discipline on the raw recruit usually sits hard. This is to be expected,
and no reasonable man would wish to see the management of an army under-
taken without discipline. It is the harsh, tyrannical and frequently unjust
manner in which it is administered that makes it often distasteful to
the self respecting recruit. This is frequently the result of placing almost
unlimited power over subordinates in the hands of men who too often lack
the natural intelligencee to use it discreetly. To be cursed roundly for fall-
ing into line one minute late goes hard, especially when the tardiness on
one's part has been "caused by some circumstances over which he has no con-
trol. If he should attempt to explain he usually receives "Shut up, sir,"
accompanied possibly by a stamp of the foot. A second glance, however, at
this seemingly harsh treatment shows it to be in the main absolutely neces-
sary. If poor shifty excuses were allowed the Sergeant would occupy most of
his time in hearing them. Thus no allowance is made and men are taught to
be prompt at the call of duty. All good soldiers love strict discipline, for if
it be rightly administered it deals with all alike and usually chafes only the

Online LibraryJ. Smyth CarterThe story of Dundas, being a history of the County of Dundas from 1784 to 1904 → online text (page 23 of 40)