issue your warrant in form as by the said act directed to the assessors and
collectors of the county of Dundas to assess and collect within the said county
agreeable to the said act the sum of thirty-seven pounds, one shilling and
seven pence currency for the purpose of paying Jacob Weegar,Esq.,his wages
allowed by the said act for representing the said county in general assembly
for the said province at one session, and three per cent, deducted from the
said sum for collectors' fees."
On Tuesday, April 26, 1803, the court met with Samuel Anderson presiding.
There were also present Allan McDonell, Alexander McMillan, Neil McLean,
John McDonell and Miles McDonell. The Grand Jury empanelled were: Jacob
Elijah, William Bush, James Howard, John Coons, Peter Empey, John
Empey, Adam Empey, Nicholas Ault, Adam Loucks, Richard Loucks, Peter
Loucks, Farquhar McDonell, John Crysler (foreman), Nicholas Frymire, Dan-
iel Myers, William Loucks, Henry Markle, Michael Haines, John Shaver,
At those early courts many summoned as jurors failed to attend and a
reason for their non-appearance would be demanded. Some of these excuses
are amusing in character, the following being one : "Lauchlan McLauchlan
being summoned appears and says that he did attend the two first days when
he was taken ill with a toothache. The court thinks fit to fine him one shil-
ling and costs. Paid in court."
The Grand Jury empanelled April 26, 1836, were: William Humes, Walter
Bell, Charles Weagant, Henry Weagar, Jacob Merkley, sen., John I. Haines,
272 THE STORY OF DUNDAS
Peter McSweeny (foreman), John Pillar, Peter Garlough, Christopher Ford,
John Deeks, Conrad Casselman, Abraham Hess, George Merkley, Peter
Mclntosh, Daniel Broeffle, Peter Winegard, John M. Willard, George Mar-
selles. It was ordered by that court that ''The treasurer of the Eastern Dis-
trict pay to John Cook the sum of sixty-four pounds for his wages as mem-
ber of the Provincial Parliament for the county of Dundas, and his travelling
expenses in going and returning from Toronto."
At the General Quarter Sessions held at Cornwall April 7, 1847,a license was
granted to James Holden, of the township of Williamsburg, to keep a ferry
between Williamsburg and the village of Waddington. It was also authoriz-
ed that Mr. Holden should keep one good and sufficient vessel for ferrying
cattle, horses and carriages, and also two row boats, one to be supplied with
four oars and one with two oars, to be directed by sober and competent
Annexed is a partial list of county court officials:
Judges of the District and County Courts : Samuel Anderson 1704-1814 ;
David Sheek 1814-22 ; L. P. Sherwood 1822-26 ; David Jones 1826-41 ; George
S. Jarvis 1841-78 : J. F. Pringle, junior judge 1866-78, and senior judge 1878-
1900 ; Robert B. Carman junior judge 1883-1900 ; James B. O'Beilley senior
judge 1900 ; J. W. Liddell junior judge 1901.
Sheriffs : Cornelius Munro, John Kerr, Neil McLean, Donald McDonell
(Greenfield), Alexander McMartin, Donald j33neas McDonell, Daniel Eugene
Mclntyre, Arch. McNab, W. B. Mack.
County Attornies and Clerks of the Peace since 1858 : J. F. Pringle, James
Bethune, John B. McLennan, James Dingwall.
James Redmond O'Reilly is the eldest son of the late James O'Reilly, Q. C.,
of Kingston, Ont., who practised law in that city for a considerable time, un-
til his death in 1875. The subject of this sketch was born at Kingston, Ont.,
on Feb. 14, 1862. He was educated at Queen's University, Kingston, from
which institution he graduated as a gold medallist in 1882. He was admitted
as solicitor and called to the bar at Osgoode Hall in Easter term, 1885. Sub-
sequently he practised law in Prescott, Ont., until appointed to the Bench. In
1889 he married Rosa M . Birmingham, fourth daughter of the late James
Birmingham, of Kingston, Ont. He was created a Queen's Counsel in 1899
and received his appointment as Senior Judge for Stormont, Dundas and Glen-
garry in March, 1900.
J. W. Liddell, son of the late David Liddell, of Cornwall, Ont., was born in
1852. He received his education at the old Cornwall Grammar school, and
afterwards took a course in law at Osgoode Hall, Toronto. He studied law
under the late John Sanfield Macdon aid, Messrs. Harrison, Osier & Moss, Tor-
COURTS AND OFFICIALS 273
onto. In Nov., 1876, he was called to the bar and became a partner in the
well known law firm of Maclennan & Macdonald, of Cornwall, and on the dis-
solution of that firm in 1883 a new firm was formed under the style of Maclen-
nan and Liddell. In 1885 the firm was changed to Maclennan, Liddell & Cline.
In October, 1899, Mr. Liddell was created a Queen's Counsel, and on Jan . 2,
1901, received his appointment as Junior Judge of the County Court of Stor-
mont, Dundas and Glengarry. Judge Liddell has always taken a deep inter-
est in municipal matters ; he was chairman of the finance committee of the
town of Cornwall in 1889, and mayor of Cornwall in 1890. He was also chair-
man of the Cornwall Public School Board for several years. His wife is a
daughter of the late Col. Ronald Macdonald, by whom he has three children.
In religion he is a Presbyterian, being an elder of St. John's church, Cornwall.
Adam Johnston, Junior Judge of Prescott and Russell, was born in the
township of Williamsburg, Dec. 2, 1853, and is a son of John Johnston and
Mary (McLean) Johnston, both formerly of Scotland. His early education at
the local Public schools was followed by a two years and a half course at the
Morrisburg Grammar school. He subsequently served three years as a Public
school teacher ; taught one year as assistant in Kingston Grammar school ;
again pursued his studies and matriculated at Toronto University in the fall
of 1873. Four years later he graduated as B. A., taking gold medal in classics,
and silver medal in modern languages. At the opening of the autumn term of
1877 he assumed the principalship of the Gananoque High school, continuing
in that position until the close of the following year. During the years '79,
'80 and '81 he studied law at Toronto ; took the degree of L. L. B., with silver
medal at Toronto University during the latter year, and was called tc the bar
and admitted as solicitor in Feb., 1882, taking silver medal at his final exam-
ination. In May, 1882, Mr. Johnston opened an office in Morrisburg, where
by his integrity and ability he secured a large practice which he pursued un-
til his promotion to the Bench in 1904. During the Federal elections of '87,
'91, '98 and 1900 he was the Liberal candidate for Dundas, but owing to the
strong Conservative proclivities of the old county was each time denied a
place in Parliament. For many years he was a worthy member of the Mor-
risburg Board of Education, having served as chairman from 1893 to 1904.
James Dingwall, Cornwall, was born at Meadow Bay, Ont., May 8, 1840.
His paternal grandfather, James Dingwall, was a U. E. Loyalist and born
at Strathspey, Scotland. When a young man he and an elder brother John
(grandfather of Judge Drew, of Guelph) emigrated to America and settled
in the valley of the Mohawk near Albany. At the breaking out of the Re-
volutionary War each of the brothers had comfortable and valuable home-
steads in that fertile valley but owing to their sympathy and aid to the loyal-
ists they were ill treated. James Dingwall was imprisoned and with several
274 THE STORY OJT DTJNDA8
others had to "run the gauntlet," that is to make a dash for one's life between
two rows of Indians armed with withes or rods and past an Indian armed
with a tomahawk at the exit between the two flies. Each was only to strike
the person running when opposite him and must not strike in front. Sub-
sequently James Ding wall was imprisoned by the revolutionists and with
others condemned to be executed, but the night previous to the appointed day
they broke through the roof of their prison aud escaped by tearing the bed
clothes into strips and knotting them into ropes. Finally James Dingwall
and his brother reached Ganada,about 1784,and occupied the first settled farm
on the south side -f the river Raisin between Lancaster and WiUianistown.
James Dingwall married Catharine Ferguson, daughter of Alexander Fer-
guson, another U. B. Loyalist. Their family consisted of fourteen children,
the youngest of whom was Malcolm, father of the subject of our sketch.
Malcolm Dingwall was born in 1812, and in 1839 married Anne McLennan.
He was an elder in the Presbyterian church at Lancaster and was an excellent
English and Gaelic scholar. James Dingwall's maternal grandfather, Roderick
McLennan, was a Scotchman of strong and marked character. He early emi-
grated with his father to Canada and settled in con. 3, Lancaster, Jamea
Dingwall, the subject of this sketch, received his early education at the Lan-
caster Public school and the Williamstown Grammar school. In 1858
he matriculated at Queen's College, Kingston, and in 1861 secured his B. A.
with honors. In 1883 he was head master of Kemptville Grammar school ; in
188J- began the study of law in the office of Mowat and McLennan, of Toronto,
and in the spring of 1868 was called to the bar. In October of the same year
he entered into partnership with the late William Ross, barrister, of Cornwall,
but since the death of that gentleman, in 1882, Mr. Dingwall has carried on a
large practice alone. In February, 1873, he was appointed County Crown At-
torney and Clerk of the Peace for the united counties of Stormont, Dundas
and Glengarry. In 1879 he was the counsel for the town before A. H. Dy-
mond, government commissioner, to enquire into the financial affairs of the
town ; in 1882-3 he carried to a successful completion a re-survey of the front
half of the town, an accomplishment of great value. In 1880 he became a
valued member of the trustee board of the Cornwall High school, and it was
largely through his persistence that the present county buildings were erect-
ed. Mr. Dingwall takes a deep interest in gardening and forestry and was
largely instrumental in establishing the present town park. At present he is
entrusted with large funds for the purpose of founding a home for aged in-
digent Protestant people of these united counties. In religion he is a Calvin ist
and a Presbyterian. In 1878 he married Mary Hunter, youngest daughter of
John Hunter, of Cornwall, their family consisting of four children.
John F^aser Smart, Deputy Sheriff of the united counties of Stormont,
BARRISERS, ETC., OF DUNDAS.
Chas. Rue. A. M. Fulton. R. F. Lyle.
I. Milliard. G. F. Bradneld. A. G. Macdonell (deceased).
G. C. Hart. s. S. Reveler. Frank Tyrrell (deceased).
COURTS AND OFFICIALS 277
Dundas and Glengarry, was born at Cornwall April 3, 1847, and is a son of the
late James Smart, of that town. His mother was Helen Munro. At the age
of fifteen he left the Cornwall Public school. In 1863 he joined a volunteer
company and the following year went to Lapvairie where he spent five
months during the Trent affair, and in that time attained the rank of sergeant
During the Fenian trouble of 1866 he was again in service from March until
July 24th, when the company was disbanded. In August of that year he was
admitted to the military school at Kingston, and in 1869 received his first com-
mission as ensign in No. 2 company, Cornwall town. In 1874 he was gazetted
leutenant and adjutant of the 59th Battalion, and in 1877 was made captain,
retaining the rank of adjutant. He holds a double clasp Fenian Raid
medal and along service (20 years) medal from the Dominion government. In
other pursuits our subject was equally persevering. In 1867 he was a clerk in
the store of the late William Mattice . In 1868 he was appointed Cornwall
agent of the Richelieu and Ontario Navigation Co., which position he held for
several years, and on April 1, 1877, was appointed to his present position.
John A. McDougald, Local Registrar of the High Court of Justice, is a son
of the late Major Angus McDougald, who in connection with the 4th Battalion
Glengarry militia saw active service during the rebellion of 1837-9. Our sub-
ject was born in the township of Kenyon, Sept. 29, 1838 ; received his educa-
tion at the Separate school in Alexandria. When quite young he entered the
employment of the late Hon. D. A. Macdonald, where he soon attained merit-
ed promotion. For a time Mr. McDougald engaged in business on his own
account in Alexandria, and at Emerson, Man. His long and varied connection
with our local courts began with his appointment as Clerk of the Kenyon
Division Court by the late Judge Jarvis, which position he resigned owing to
pressure of other business. Until his removal to Alexandria he was an act-
ive and successful farmer. In 1887 he was appointed Clerk of the Lochiel
Division Court, which office he held until receiving his present appointment
in the year 1891 when he removed to Cornwall. In 1863 Mr. McDougald mar-
ried Annie, daughter of the late Ronald Chisholm, of Fassifern.
Lieut. -Colonel Alexander Macdonell was a son of the late Col. Donald Mac-
donell (Greenfield), Adjutant-General for Upper Canada, and was born at St.
Raphael's, county of Glengarry . He was educated at the old Cornwall Gram-
mar school, and began the study of law in the office of the late Judge Jarvis,
then a practising attorney of that town. During the rebellion of 1837-9 he
served with the Glengarry Light Infantry as captain and adjutant. At the
close of his military service he resumed the study of law, and about 1844 began
practice at Morrisburg. He was deputy reeve of .Williamsburg township and
was Morrisburg's first reeve, continuiug in the latter office for several years*
278 THE STORY OP DUNDAS
during which time he was elected Warden of the United Counties. He was
chairman of the Morrisburg Board of Education for several years and was
appointed Superintendent of the Williamsburg canals. His life was given
much to public service. His title Lieut. -Colonel was conferred upon
him by a commission of .that rank in the reserve militia of Dundas county.
Prank Tyrrell, deceased, for some years a barrister, of Morrisburg, was born
in the township of Williamsburg, in October, 1845, his parents being Francis
and Mary Tyrrell. His father, a native of Ireland, emigrated to Canada about
1835, and settled along the St. Lawrence in Dundas. His mother, who still
survives, is of German descent, being a daughter of the late John Plantz, and
his wife, Catharine Whitteker. After completing his school course Mr. Tyrrell
read law in the office of the late A. G. McDonald ; was admitted as an at-
torney and solicitor in 1855 and called to the Bar in 1876. After commencing
the study of his profession Morrisburg was his home. He ignored politics and
devoted himself exclusively and closely to his legal practice, hence his very
rapid rise in the profession. As a criminal lawyer he was famed, always
aquitting himself creditably, and was a master in the art of cross-examina-
tion. In 1871 he married Gertrude, daughter of the late S. K. Matthews.
George F. Bradfield, barrister-at-law, Morrisburg, is a son of Richard H.
Bradfleld, hardware merchant, and was born on the 20th September, 1865.
He received his education at the High school and Collegiate Institute at
Morrisburg, after which he studied law with the late Frank Tyrrell and
Lount & Marsh, of Toronto, where he also attended the law school at Osgoode
Hall. On his call to the Bar in 1888 he opened an office in Morrisburg, where
he now has a lucrative practice. Mr. Bradfield is a prominent Mason and was
for some years Master of Excelsior Lodge. He was a member of the mun-
icipal council of Morrisburg in the year 1897, and was reeve of the village
during the years 1898, 1899, 1900, 1901. It was during his term of office that
the tolls on the gravel road were abolished, the Grand Trunk water station
secured for Morrisburg, and the municipal electric light plant installed.
Wesley B. Lawson, son of Samuel Lawson, of Winchester township, was
born May 19, 1860. He was educated at the Chesterville Public school, Morris-
burg High school, and St. Catharines Collegiate Institute. In 1886 he grad-
uated in law at Trinity University, Toronto, with degree of B. C. L., and took
his final examinations as solicitor and barrister-at-law at Osgoode Hall, in
1887. He practised law at Toronto in partnership with H. H. Dewart, K. C.,
during the year 1889, and since then has practised continuously at Chester-
ville. In the provincial elections of 1898 he was the Liberal candidate for
Dundas. He is solicitor for theMolsons Bank, Chesterville branch, and town-
ships of Winchester and Mountain.
COURTS AND OFFICIALS 279
S. S. Reveler, son of Hodgson and Eliza Reveler, was born at North Win-
chester, in the township of Winchester. For a few years he engaged in mer-
cantile business at Morewood in company with his brother Thomas, and upon
the death of the latter he turned his attention to educational mat-
ters. He enrolled as a student of Iroquois High school for one year: attend-
ed Brantford Collegiate Institute then under the principalship of Dr. Jas. Mills,
now one of the railway commissioners. After Dr. Mills received the appoint-
ment of principal of the Agricultural College at Guelph Mr. Reveler went t
St. Catharines Collegiate Institute, Dr. John Seath being principal of that
institution. In 1882 he matriculated, taking honors in classics ; entered Vic-
toria University, Cobourg,graduatiug with the degree of B.A. in 1886. He next
began the study of law in the city of Ottawa ; was called to the Bar in 1891
and since then has practised his profession at Winchester, Ont. Mr. Reveler-
takes an interest in public matters and was one time chosen Independent
candidate for Dundas in the federal election but declined the nomination.
C. A. Myers, senior member of the firm Myers & Myers, of Morrisburg,
is a son of the late William Myers, and was born in 1845. He attended the
Moiijisburg Grammar school, and upon leaving that institution took up the
study of law ; spent three years in the law office of the present Mr. Justice
Fergus m ; graduated from Osgoode Hall in 1880,and since then has continued
the practice of his profession at Morrisburg.
H. G. Myers, the younger member of the firm of Myers & Myers, is a son of
C. A. Myers. He was a student at the Morrisburg Collegiate Institute; subse-
quently studied law at Ottawa, Kingston and Toronto; graduated from Os-
goode Hall a few years ago, when he began the practise of law in his native
A. M. Fulton, barrister, of Chesterville,-Ont..is the son of Robert Derry Ful-
ton, of Maple Ridge; his mother was Nora, daughter of Charles T. Casselman,
of Chesterville. The subject of this sketch was born in May, 1874. After com-
pleting his Public school course he spent four years at the Morrisburg Col-
legiate Institute, leaving there in 1893 the holder of a first-class certificate.
He then attended Toronto University, where he graduated with honors in
1897. During the summer of 1898 he took a trip to England. Upon leaving
the University he entered the law office of W. B. Lawson, of Chesterville, re-
maining there until the spring of 1898, when he took his first examination at
Osgoode Hall, Toronto. With a view to locating somewhere he subsequently
visited Manitoba, Northwest Territories and British Columbia, going down
to California and home through the United States, convinced that after all
there -*as no place better than Ontario. During his final year at Osgoode
Hall he was in the City Solicitor's office; .graduated with honors in 1900, and
280 THE STORY OP DUNDAS
began the practice of law at Chesterville. In August, 1903, he married E.
Maud Hill, daughter of John B. Hill, of Winchester.
Robert Franklin Lyle, barrister-at-law, of Morrisburg, is a son of the late
Robert Lyle, and a grandson of the late Rev. Robert Lyle. The subject of
this sketch was born at Morrisburg, December 9, 1867, and received his edu-
cation at the schools of his native town . After teaching in the local Public
school for one year he commenced the study of law in the chambers of J. P.
Whitney, K. O., of Morrisburg, arid put in his final year with the late
Frank Tyrrell, also of Morrisburg. He Was duly called to the degree of
barrister-at-law on the 19th May, 1890. After being called to the Bar of On-
tario he had decided to go to Chicago and read for the Bar of the State of
Illinois, but this was not to be. Several of his older political friends hearing
of his intention waited upon him and urged him to remain and commence
practice in his native town. He finally acquiesced and opened an office, build-
ing up a good practice, until August, 1896, when the late Frank Tyrrell, re-
cognizing his abilities, offered him a partnership which he accepted. This
partnership lasted until the death of Mr. Tyrrell, in March, 1898, when he
alone opened an office in Morrisburg, and has since continued to practise his
profession. Early in his legal career Mr. Lyle evinced a preference for the
criminal law, and has made a successful defence in several criminal cases of
note. He is of Scotch, Irish and German decent, in religion a Presbyterian,
and a Liberal in politics.
George Chesley Hart, son of Christopher and Amy Hart, was born in the
township of Osnabruck, county of Stormont. He secured a third-class certifi-
cate while attending Public school No. 18 of his native township, and then
followed teaching for a time. He next attended Morrisburg High school and
Perth Collegiate Institute, securing his matriculation. After teaching school
at Finch he began the study of law, being articled with Adam Johnston,
now Judge Johnston, later with C. A. Myers, and finally with J. P. Whitney.
K. C. In November, 1898, he was called to the Bar, and in January, 1899, began
the practice of law in Winchester, Ont.
Irwin Hilliard, barrister, Morrisburg, Ont., was born in the township of
Osnabruck, February 2nd, 1863. His father, Thomas Foster Hilliard, a native
of Fermanagh, came to this country in 1837; his mother, Charlotte Gillespie,
was a native of the county of Antrim, Ireland, and came over six years later.
Early in life our subject evinced great love for books. The first formative
event in his life was the coming to the old school house, at Papst's Corners, of
the late Dr. G. C. Hart, of Prescott, to teach what was then known as an in-
corrigible school. The second day young Hilliard got the greatest licking of
his lifetime for trying to boss the class. Either this, or the Doctor's eminent
qualities as a teacher, produced such an effect that he won his first prize and
COURTS AND OFFICIALS 281
that in grammar when but nine years of age. He left home in 1876 and came
to live with the late Gordon S. Hickey, and attended school, being first placed
under Win. Styles. He was one of a class that proved to be very useful
members of the country; some of the others being Dr. McLaughlin, r>r. Meikle,
Dr. Russel, Dr. John Macdonell, Ralph Maxwell and John P. Fetterly. These
all passed the entrance in December, 1876. The next three years were spent
under that grand aod noble man and excellent teacher, the late Irwin
Stuart, B.A. After matriculating at OsgoodeHall he kept books for Kerr Bros,,
of Farran's Point, for some four months,and then entered on the study of law
in 1880 with J, P. Whitney, K. C., with whom he remained about two
years. He served also in the ofuces of Jas. H. Benson, then of Seaforth, later
Sheriff of Regina; Francis Holinested,of Seaforth; W. R. Hickey, of Bothwell.
He took his barrister examination in January, 1885, and Solicitor in May, 1885.
Thereafter he practised awhile in Iroquois; entered the office of the late Frank
Tyrrell, in the fall of 1885; continued therein to the fall of 1887 with some
months absence on account of ill health; practised law in Clinton, Ont., for
several months, but finally returned to the office of Mr. Tyrrell in 1889. He
continued to practice with him from then until Mr. Tyrrell's death on the 7th of
March, 1898, since which time he has practised alone in the same office at
Morrisburg, Ontario. He served as a member of the Village Council during
the years 1900-1-2. In politics he is a Liberal-Conservative, and in religion a
Methodist. He takes much pleasure in Sunday school work; was Superin-
tendent of the Morrisburg Sabbath echool for a number of years, and is now
teacher of the young men's Bible class. He has been Secretary and Presi-
dent of the Dundas County Sabbath School Association. In 1893 he married