port of the Eastern District only twenty-eight assessed persons resided in the
township in the year 1815. Of the early veterans of bush life a few remain to
tell the story of pioneer joys and privations . The isolation resulting from
the absence of roads, the long journeys on foot over forest trails, the rude
cabin and fixtures, the bees and loggins',the unfrequent visit of a distant neigh-
bor, the welcome voice of the itinerant preacher, and the jovial presence of
the district schoolmaster, were all incidents that helped to break up the other-
wise hum-drum monotony of their lives. Then on Sabbath when the settlers
would congregate in the little meeting-house in the clearing and joined their
voices in prayer and in singing "Old Hundred," or other songs of praise, all
felt the presence of the Master, and that it was good to be there.
Changes and improvements have kept pace with the fleeting years. To-
day we find splendid cultivated fields where yesterday was bush and
wet swamp land. Comfortable houses and good barns have taken the place
of the log cabin and straw-stack. These improvements reflect the worth ot
those who "bowed the woods beneath their sturdy stroke;" and if this volume
serves to record their achievements, that their children and posterity might
not forget, "The Story of Dundas" will not have been written in vain. Dairy-
ing has received considerable attention. Here is a list of cheese factories with
the respective owners : Advance, Edward Scott ; Mountain, Jos. Wilson ;
Hallville, Wm. Grant, Henry Settles, Rob't. Hyndman, Milton Hoy ; Con-
nerty, John Connerty ; South Mountain, Inkerman, Wm. Eager ; Inkerman,
Ennis & Raney ; Ault's No. 3 (Mulloy settlement), Ault Bros. ; Vancamp, Suf-
fel's, Rose & McTavish -, F. F. No. 1, L. Miller ; Mountain Ridge, Oak Valley,
Alex. McMaster ; King (con. 11), joint stock.
Following is a partial list of municipal officers : Reeves 1850-2, Edward
828 THE STORY OP DUNDA8
Brouse ; 1853, Elijah Van camp ; 1854, A. H. Munro ; 1855, John Rennick ;
1856, Joseph Hyndman ; 1857, Henry H. Bolton ; 1858, Q. E. Broeffie ; 1859,
Geo. Mulloy ; 1860-1, Wm. Thompson ; 1882, Geo. Mulloy; 1863, Wm . Thomp-
son; 1864, Henry Wallace ; 1865, Thomas Bailey ; 1866, Henry Wallace ; 1867-
70, Thos. Bailey; 1871-2, Joseph Hyndman; 1873-5, Thos. Bailey ; 1876-9, Geo.
Muiloy ; 1880, Thos. Bailey ; 1881, George Steacy ; 1882-4, Keuben Shaver ;
1885, Thos. Bailey ; 1886-8, Geo. Steacy ; 1889-91, Andrew Kennedy ; 1892-3,
Elijah S. Gregory ; 1894-5, Chas. H. Middagh ; 1896, Geo. Steacy ; 1897-1902,
Ohas. Patton ; 1903-4, Samuel Larue.
Clerks 1850, John Morrow ; 1851-5, Jas. O. Clark ; 1856, O. Skinner ; 1857-8,
Jas. C. Clark ; 1859-70, Henry Caldwell ; 1871-2, A. J. Corrigan ; 1873-8, Joseph
Hyndman ; 1879-80, Jos. Wallace ; 1881-96, Chas. Durant ; 1897-1904, Hugh
Hallville : Some of the early residents in the immediate vicinity of Hall-
viile were Wm. Wylie, John McMillan, Richard Styles, John Martin and
Wm. Hoy. The first tradesman to open a shop here was John Smirl, a black-
Smith. He was succeeded by J. Robinson and W. Henry. John Kerr
started a cooper shop, and Joseph Wallace, the first postmaster, opened a
store in a building now occupied as a residence. Samuel Kerr was anothe r
merchant ; hotel-keepers were Richard Styles and W. Robinson. A. Callen -
der and J. Kenney were wheelwrights, while a harness shop was conducted
by Thos. Morrow. A sawmill was erected by Shaw and Dougall, and lat er
another by James Hyndman. In the selection of the name for the village
some of the people chose Smirlville, in honor of Mr. Smirl, a pioneer resi -
dent, while others favored Hallville, after an Orange Hall located here. The
controversy waxed hot. A writer in the Morrisburg Courier suggested
Beaconsfield as an appropriate name. When the office was opened in 1873
the name Smirlville was selected, but in 1879 it was changed to Hallville. The
village contains two general merchants, W. T. Cleland (postmaster), Hugh
Martin ; blacksmith, Wm. Patterson ; carriagemaker, Joseph Thompson ;
pumpmaker, J . C. Tinkess ; dressmaker, Mrs . George ; ashery, Thompson &
Kerr ; carpenters, Beggs Bros., J. Wallace, N. Barnhart ; sawmill and cheese
box factory, Jas. Shaw ; strawberry box factory, R. J. Dougall ; shoemaker,
H. McShane ; Methodist church, temperance hotel, two public halls, and a
Inkerman: Originally the site of Inkerman formed part of a grant of 400
acres made to Robert Parker, a U. E. L., who erected the first building where
the village now stands. Finally a grist mill was built, owned by Rober t
Thompson, and later by Frank Smith. Elias Hitchcock early conducted a saw -
mill which was purchased by Messrs. Henry G. and John G. Merkley. They
built a new mill, which at a later date was owned by William Higginson . A
MOUNTAIN TOWNSHIP 331
stone grist mill was also built by Joseph Bishop. Both of these mills have
disappeared. The first merchant to locate at Inkerman was A. H. Munro.
who afterwards built a sawmill just west of the village; the next John Ren-
nick; John Sullivan also conducted a store for many years. Early blacksmiths
were Thomas King and Benjamin Little, while Charles Storey was a carriage*
maker. The first effort to instruct the youth was the institution of a Sabbath
school by Simon Johnston. This school was held in a primitive log building
which afforded very poor protection on a rainy Sabbath. An early tetcher in
the day school was John Price. For years Inkerman was known as Smith's
Mills and later as Bishops's Mills, but the postoffice, opened in 1855, was de-
signated Inkerman, in memory of the famous battle. John Rennick was the
first postmaster. In the Canada Directory (1858) among the names which
appear are those of John Baker, shoemaker ; T. J. Bishop, miller; S. Bush,
joiner; W. Dillabough, bailiff; J. Forster, blacksmith ; Rev. J. Harris, local
Supt. of schools; T. Johnston, tanner; P. Kelly, tailor; Robert Lowery, store-
keeper and sawmill owner; Messrs. Merkley, merchants; Asa Redmond,
merchant; J. Rennick, postmaster,merchant and proprietor of the Wellington
Hotel; W. Suifel, carriagemaker. During the next few years the village
seems to have experienced a fair growth for the list furnished in 1865 shows a
considerable increase, Inkerman is one of the earliest hamlets in Dundas,
while the milling and transportation privileges afforded by the stream upon
which it is situated caused the lumber trade to flourish. Surrounding Inker-
man is a farming country second to none and hence a fab* share of business
centres in the village, a directory of which is here given; Postmaster, Alva Cor-
rigan; merchants, Oliver Keys, A. Corrigan, Albert Coons; blacksmiths, Alex.
Larue, Francis Barrigar; tinsmith, George Torrence; harnessmaker and pro-
prietor of temperance house, George Daniels; cooper, I , Cook; two churches,
L. O. L. hall, A. O. U, W. hall, a Public school (graded), two cheese factories
and a grist mill.
Mountain: This village can boast of no antiquity. When the C. P. R. was
opened through the township the forest still held sway around the log houses
of Messrs. Loftus and Beggs. The erection of a station proved the neucleus
of the present village, A. S. Bowen & Son, now of Kemptville, built and oper-
ated a grist mill and a sawmill; elevators were erected by Ross Bros. & Co.,
and by Smith & Rutherford, while Albert Brinston conducted a planing
mill. Among the tradesmen to locate here were James Skuce, blacksmith;
A. Bouck, tinsmith; H. Baldwin, shoemaker. To accommodate the travelling
public the C. P. R. hotel, now the Hyslop House, was built by L. Richardson,
and a temperance house by A. J. Stewart. Rev. W. T, Canning, since de-
ceased, opened a grocery in a new building now the private residence of Mrs.
Canning. Chiefly through the efforts of Reuben Shaver, the first postmaster,
332 THE STOB^ OF DUNDA8
a postoffice was opened here in 1888; and finally a petition circulated by H.
E. Oarson was followed by the opening of a Public school. The prospects
of the station town looked bright about 1889. Builder, buyer and
seller each contributed to its success; the grain market was a red letter
feature, and general conversation elicited such remarks as " great rush
at the station; business men from all parts; another store to be started." Since
then the village has enjoyed a fair measure of prosperity. It has a good
market for live stock, etc., and the establishment of a bank would be a
great boon as the weekly cash exchange is large. A directory of the village
is subjoined: Merchants, Norman Baker, 8. W. Vanallen (postmaster), F. L.
McMillan; shippers and dealers in live stock, Johnston & Hoy, Alex. Henry;
grist, saw, planing, shingle and stave mills, S. Larue & Son; grist mill and
feed store, W. S. L. Merell; feed and produce merchant, J. P. Mclntyre; har-
ness and funiture dealer, H. L. Haskins; hotel and livery, Hyslop House, Fred
Hyslop, prop,; temperance house, A. J. Stewart prop.; station agent, J. B.
King; freight agent, T. Paymnt; Public school (graded), two churches, I. O.
O. F. Hall ; societies, I. O. O. F., A. O. U. W., I. O. F., B. T. of T. ; The vil-
lage has both telegraph and telephone connection, while seven mails, four by
train and three by stage, arrive daily.
North Mountain postoflice was opened in 1860. The first postmaster was
Jas. Cleland ; present official, M. M. Loughlin . The early mails arrived by
the Ottawa- Prescott stage. The village has no commercial record. Long
ago an hotel was conducted opposite the postoffice by Wm. Thompson,
now a resident of Kemptville.
Reid's Mills postoffice was opened in 1882, with Wm. Reid first postmaster,
who in 1871 erected a sawmill, hence the name Reid's Mills. Blacksmith shops
were conducted by Wm. Patterson and Patrick Donovan, while the first mer-
chant was Samuel Richardson. The village is favorably located on the bound-
ary of Osgoode and Mountain townships, and contains a saw, shingle and
planing mill, owned by Mrs. Wm. Reid ; the store of Geo. Wilson, the black-
smith shop of U. Saunders, Public school, and Presbyterian church.
South Mountain : The origin of this place leads the enquirer back to about
1835, when a grist mill was erected by Samuel Guernsey, who afterwards
disposed of it to Messrs. Shaver and Brouse. In one part of this building a
small store was conducted. Very early an hotel was kept by Gordon Brouse
in a log cabin; later Mr. Brouse secured quarters in a frame building which
still stands. Martin and Elisha Henderson also kept tavern in the early days.
The store at the mill was followed by another, conducted by John Morrow.
Shortly after Hugh Mill opened a store at the corner of the present agricult-
ural grounds. Near where now stands the Presbyterian manse was the black-
smith shop of George and Henry Bolton. To the east of the village was situ-
MOUNTAIN TOWNSHIP 335
ated Boyd's Bridge, an enterprising settlement, the earliest in the township,
and the only place in Mountain marked on the map in Smith's Canada, 1850.
Here were an hotel, blacksmith shop and store, while Judge Jarvis held court
here regularly. The stone house now occupied by Mrs. Baldwin was formerly
an inn. Among the hotel-keepers at Boyd's Bridge were John and Ezra Bald-
win, Geo. Reid and Henry Crobar, while the merchants were Edward Brouse,
Wm. Ridley and others. Two very early settlers were Henry Bolton and
Patrick Shannon. The settlement was named after Wm. Boyd, a land owner,
who sold out to John Baldwin. But to return to South Mcmntain. The ad-
vantages here soon began to detract interest from Boyd's Bridge.
Minor industries springing up and general stores multiplying brought not
only tradesmen but likewise laid the foundations for a considerable commun-
ity. Before the establishment of a postofflce the mail came in by stage run-
ning from Prescott to Ottawa, and was left at a small office near the eastern
boundary of South Gower, where Joseph Bowers was installed postmaster.
David Cleland called for the mail once a week and brought it to the village of
South Mountain. The mail consisted of a few papers and an occasional letter.
This went on for a time, when in 1851 an office was opened in South Mountain
with John Morrow postmaster. Lovell's Directory, 1857-8, describes the
place as "a small but progressive village in the township of Mountain, situat-
ed in a fertile and picturesque locality on the banks of the Nation river with-
in sixteen miles of its source." The same authority furnishes the following
names of business men in the village at that time : "James Beggs and Samuel
Blow, blacksmiths ; Robt. Blow and Wm. Gilroy, wagonmakers ; C. Hender-
son, inn-keeper ; Miss D. Knapp, milliner ; A. Larue, cooper; H. Moore, shoe-
maker and tanner ; H. and J. Moorehouse, general dealers ; R. Ranson, tailor;
Geo. F. Shaver, mill owner ; S. Shaver, miller ; G. Sinclair, grocer; J. Walker,
shoemaker." For many years Nelson Bowen conducted an hotel here. Al-
though distant about four miles from the C. P. R., the nearest railway, South
Mountain has continued to grow, and in 1901 was created a police village, the
first trustees being J. A. Gilroy, B. Shaver and E. J. Bishop. A description
of the village follows : Estimated population, 450 ; village trustees, B.
Storey, R. W. Boyd, H. Cleland ; postmaster, M. J. Cleland; medical practi-
tioners, Dr. Porter and Dr. Ferrier ; dentist, Dr. Hoy ; .veterinary surgeon,
Dr. A. W. Beach ; grist mill, R. J. Walker ; general merchants, M. Kavan-
augh, P. J. Morrow, M. J. Christie & Co., M. J. Cleland ; grocer, X. N. Ellis ;
tinsmiths, R. W. Boyd, W. Bailey ; livery, J. A. Storey ; printing office, The
Mountain Herald ; jeweller, R. B. Phillips ; butcher, E. Foster ; laundry,
agency Iroquois Pearl Laundry; tailor, W. Thompson; baker, J. Mur-
dock ; live stock dealers, B. Storey, F. Barry ; shoemakers, H. Moore, A.
Ennis ; saddler, W. Baldwin ; carriage makers, R. H. Blow, D. Cleland ;
blacksmiths, J. Hunter, J. Barkley, J. A. Gilroy, J. N. Blakley ; ladder fac-
336 THE 8TORT OP DUlfDAS
tory, Thos. Mclntosh, proprietor ; grain grinding, H. Cleland ; cheese fac-
tory, Wm. Eager, prop. ; barber, T. Major ; hotel, Storey House, J. A. Storey,
prop. ; temperance house, B. J. Walker, prop.; painters, decorators, etc.,
Barrigar Bros. ; furniture dealer and undertaker, H. Cleland ; milliners, Mrs.
H. Cleland, Miss Ridley ; dressmakers, Mrs. J. N. Blakley, Mrs. Taylor, Mrs.
Cochrane, Miss Barkley ; societies, A. O. U. W., I. O. F., I. O. O. F., L. O. L, ;
Commissioner in H. C. J., and Clerk of 7th Division Court, M. J. Cleland ;
telegraph and telephone offices, five churches, and a graded Public school.
Vancamp postoffice was opened in 1877, with Byron Vancamp first post-
master. The present incumbent is Mrs. L. Vancamp. This place, earlier
known as Vancamp's Mills, could boast of a store, conducted by George Van-
camp. At one time a firm consisting of several Germans engaged in mer-
cantile trade. More recently Alfred Hope conducted a grocery. At present
there are a cheese factory, school house, and Methodist church.
WINCHESTER TOWNSHIP OFFICERS, 1904.
John Kittle (Councillor). Robt. Fraser (Reeve). Allen Mclntosh (Councillor).
Geo. Quart (Clerk). Patrick Kirby (Councillor). J. W. Bogart (Councillor).
ONTARIO, which holds the palm among Canada's fair provinces, can boast
of no fairer township than Winchester, named in 1798 after a city in Hamp-
shire, England. When the early residents settled along the Nation river and
began to unravel the tangled skein of their destiny they put heart and in-
telligence into their work, and soon various sections of the township became
dotted with the familiar shanties, and the sound of woodman's axe echoed
where now is heard the merry voice of children, the hum of modern harvest-
ing machinery, and the whirl of industry on every hand. Not only the un-
flinching perseverance of the settlers but likewise the uniform par excellence
of the soil contributed to their prosperity. Modern agricultural achievemen ts
of every character are now in evidence, well furnished farms, adorned with
buildings substantial and convenient, help to make rural life enticing.
The writer visited one neighborhood, the Melvin settlement, where
six homes had telephone connection.
Dairying has attained prominence in Winchester as in the other town-
ships of Dundas. Large quantities of cheese are manufactured,
much of which is sold on the Winchester Cheese Board. The origin
of this institution leads the enquirer back to 1894 when a board was founded,
with George Irving, president, and 8. S. Reveler, secretary, but after a f ew
weeks it ceased to be. A simifiar institution was then established at Chester -
ville and flourished for a time. At a meeting held March 31, 1898, the re-
organization of the Winchester Cheese Board was effected, the officers elected
being : William Faith, president ; Andrew Kennedy, vice-president ;
A. GK Smith, secretary. The following year Mr. Kennedy was
chosen president, continuin g in that capacity for five years. The history of
this Board has been one of progress. In 1903 there were placed on sale 28,800
boxes of cheese, which brought a cash return of about $240,000. The officers
for 1904 are : President,N. W. Morton ; vice-president, John Parker; sec-treas.
R. F. Blair. The Montreal houses represented at the Board are: A. A. Ayer &
340 THE STORY OF DUNDAS
Co., Hodgson Bros.,Lovell& Christmas, A. W. Grant, Jas. Alexander, D. A. Mc-
Pherson & Co.; the buyers include A.A.Logan, G.L.McLean, J.F. & J.W. Ault,
J.R. Wier. Following is a list of cheese factories in Winchester township, with
corresponding owners: Daisy, Preston Mclntosh; Dundas Star, Alex McMas-
ter; Ault's combination, No's 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, Ault Bros.; Winchester, No. 1, and
0. K., Lemuel Ellis; Smith's Hill, J. R. Weir; Morewood, J. Martin; Red Star
and C. D. C., joint stock; Register 534, Mulloy and Ganon; White Globe No.
1, Alpin Campbell; White Clover, John A. Campbell; Farmer's Friend, S. H.
Since rhe introduction of municipal government the progress in road build-
i ng and other public improvements has been marked. Several of the early by-
laws are of interest and show plainly that the chief magistrate and his co-
workers possessed practical knowledge of local requirements. A partial list of
municipal officers is here given:
Reeves 1850, Wm. Munro; 1851-2, John H. Munro ; 1853, John McCuaig ;
1854-63, Giles W. Bogart ; 1864, David Rae ; 1865, Orrin C. Wood; 1866, David
Rae; 1867, Giles W. Bog-art; 1868-74, David Rae; 1875-6, Giles W. Bogart; 1877-85'
John McKeracher; 1886-7, William Moffat; 1888-9, Thomas E. Coulhart ; 1890-4,
Thomas Hamilton; 1895-6, Frank Elliott ; 1897, J. F. Cass ; 1898, Humphrey
Errat ; 1899-1900, Alex. J. Meldrum; 1901-03, Thomas Hamilton; 1904, Robert
Clerks 1857-62, George Fitchell ;1863-4, William Rae; 1865, Martin Coyne ;
1866-90, William Rae ; 1891-8, David Halliday; 1899-1904, George Quart.
Cass Bridge postoffice, located along the Nation river, was opened in 1874,
with Joseph Cass, jr., postmaster. The merchants at different times included
John McKeracher, Joseph Cass, J. F. Cass and David Halliday. James E,
Summers, the present merchant, is also postmaster. A Public school and
cheese factory are located here.
Connaught postoffice was so named by Patrick Jordan, who became post-
master when the office was opened, in 1873. The present postal official is John
Morewood is one of the northern villages of Winchester township. The
origin of the name is difficult to ascertain . Early merchants were: W. Wal-
lace and Joseph McKay, and later Thomas Reveler and A. D. Hunter. The
first blacksmith was T. Dupius, while east of the village was the shop of
William Smirl, During the late 60's a sawmill was constructed by the
Messrs. Carlyle, and subsequently a grist mill was built by Thomas Moffat.
In 1862 the postoffice was opened. Alex. McKay being appointed postmaster.
Many improvements have since taken place in the little village, which now
includes the stores of Wesley McConnel, John McCormick (postmaster), and
Daniel McGregor; sawmill of W. Gillespie ; gristmill of W. Moffat; blacksmith
shops of Isaac York, Henry Smirl and William Bouck; harness shop, 8, Du-
plus; tin shop of J. Moore; painter, S. Shaver; shoemaker, Felix Lacille;
temperance house, conducted by Mrs. T. Stevenson; cheese factory, owned
by J. Martin, and a fine Public school of four departments.
North Winchester postoffice, so named by virtue of its geographical situa-
tion in the township, was opened in 1870, the first postmaster, Joseph S Kyle,
is still serving in that capacity. The name of James Kyle, an early merchant,
who was succeeded by his son, Jos, S., conducted a store, blacksmith shop, tailor
shop, shoe shop, carriage shop, and sawmill, these several industries giving em-
ployment to nearly twenty men, Thomas Stevenson was a resident store-
keeper for a time; the present merchant is Robert J. Kyle, More wood has
a daily mail service, being on the line of the Cannamore^ChesterviHe route.
The Methodists and Presbyterians have churches here,
Ormond is located one concession from the rear of Winchester township,
At this place a log school house was early erected. The first blacksmith was P,
Cameron; the first store-keeper Ira Morgan, Subsequent merchants were
Peter Campbell, William Pyke, J, Johnston, G, Meldrum, and Thomas Bison;
early shoemakers were A, McPhail, D. Brown and W, Poaps; the blacksmiths
included Ed, McLean, Thomas Seymour and A, Oarlyle, while an ashery was
operated by Clark Bros, The little village now contains a Public school, a.
Baptist church, a small grist mill, cheese and butter factory, the general
store of A, Campbell & Son, the blacksmith shops of R, Robinson and D, Mc-
Laren . Ormond has a daily mail service via the Winchester-Osgoode Sta-
tion route. The postoffice was opened in 1857, with Ira Morgan postmaster,
At present Alpin Campbell fills the position.
CHARMINGLY situated on a bay of the St. Lawrence is the pretty village
of Iroquois, the early history of which is closely interwoven with that of the
township of Matilda. Many of the old family names are borne by the present
residents. The story of Iroquois and vicinity from the time the first settler's
axe felled the forest trees to the present is replete with historic interest.
Point Iroquois, famous in story and legend, a jutting headland which forms
the western arm of the bay wherein the village nestles, is truly a pretty spot;
its comparatively level surface and ideal groves add materially to its charm.
Here the Iroquois, the most powerful of Indian tribes, encamped, held
their pow-wows, and stubbornly resisted the encroachments of the French.
Here they bartered with the pale faces, who finally took possession of their
heritage. When the British ousted the French, and in all subsequent
conflicts Point Iroquois was a favorite encampment. During the war
of 1812-14 the British government caused a fort to be erected on the
Point, because of its strategical position, commanding as it does the
river and opposite shore. In the autobiography of Jacob Carman, written by
himself in 1814, he says: "In this year my father took a large contract from
the British government to furnish all the square timber they should want to
build a fort on Point Iroquois, which took us all winter and a good part of the
summer, and from what I saw of the job it paid well. I saw him bring home
two boxes of silver coin, each containing one thousand dollars, and I found one
of the boxes to be a very good lift." Mr. Carman, the contractor, in this in-
stance received 200 acres of land on the Point in exchange for a horse, saddle
and bridle. AtPine Tree Point, some distance east of Iroquois, the erection
of a battery was also begun, but owing to the termination of the war neither
of these fortifications were completed. Stories of supposed hidden treasure
caused considerable fruitless research to be made at Point Iroquois.
In early days the land north of the Point, the site of the present village,
was a section of swamp or bog, enlivened by the noise of wild ducks and the
frogs' orchestra. Still earlier it is believed a strong current passed
over this land, thus rendering the Point an island. With the lapse of cen-
turies the channel to the south of the Point deepened, while to the north the