row boats until the advent of the little steamer "Rob Roy"in the spring ot 1895,
This craft plied between Morrisburg and Waddington, but on account of its
insufficient motive power was ill adapted for the strong currents of the river
Thus the competition did not greatly diminish the work of the row boat, which
was also better adapted for smuggling, a practice then quite common. Morris-
burg at this time was a bright and thriving village, some of the Industries be-
ing the mills and lock-gate works of Benjamin Qhaffey, the latter requiring
large quantities of square timber which was brought in by the farmers dur-
ing the winter. MoKenzie's fanning mill factory was well patronised as was
Austin Doran's carding mill. The farmers also supplied large quan tit ies of
oordwood for steamboat fuel which was retailed from the wharves of I, N,
384 THE STORY OF DUNDA8
Rose and Captain Farlinger, who were general merchants at that time;
others being George Dillen, James Holden, T. Dardis, Mr. Carman, and F.
Bradfleld . The hotels were those of Messrs. Waite, D. Broeffle, T. Dardis
and A. McMartin. In addition to the merchants, among the prominent men
to be seen upon the streets were Lieut. Hilliard, one of the Duke of Welling-
ton's Peninsular veterans; T. 8. Rubidge, C. E.; A. Macdonnell (Inch); A. G.
Macdonell, barrister; Dr. Sherman, Jesse W. Rose. The only church in the
village was the small R. C. church, near the canal. The Episcopals attended
Mr. BoswelPs church and the Lutherans Mr. Hayunga's church a few miles
east of the village in the locality designated 'the churches.' The Presbyterians
worshipped al North Williamsburg, and the Methodists at Mariatown, then a
hamlet of some importance. The Crimean war in which Great Britain partic-
ipated was in progress at this time and constituted an engrossing topic. The
fall of Sebastopool was celebrated in Morrisburg by the lighting of bon-fires
in a field, a little to the northwest of the business portion of the village; rock-
ets were improvised by saturating balls ot candle wick in burning fluid, coal
oil not being used in those days. At the close of the fireworks function an ad-
journment was made to the ballroom of Waite's hotel where patriotic and en-
thusiastic speeches were delivered by Mr. West, P, L. S., and Mr. Macdonnell
(Inch), the latter being quite conspicuous in the old tartan coat of his earlier
years which at this later period was too small to meet in front."
The advent of the G. T. R., the excellence of the surrounding country, and
other conditions promoted rapid growth,and in the Canada Directory of 1857-8
many new names appear. Among these are:Richard Allen, blacksmith; J. J.
Blacklock, M. D.;E. J. Boswelljr., druggist; Bradfield & Bro., merchants ; D. A.
Breckenridge, druggist; G. A. Carman, carriagemaker and proprietor of
Dundas Exchange; W. Cash, shoemaker; C. De Castle, lockmaster; H. Gale,
blacksmith; J. Hessin, saddler; Geo. Johnston, carpenter; R. Martin, tanner;
Joseph McGee, carriagemaker ;P. McGillivray, tailor; P. McNulty, shoemaker;
H. G. Merkley, merchant; J. W. Millar, merchant; W. J. Morgan, preventive
officer; J. B. Murphy, hotelkeeper; Samuel Nash, blacksmith; W. J. Nash,
mill owner; J. Paterson, merchant; A. G. Purkis, station agent; Samuel Ro-
setter, fanning-mill manufacturer; Messrs. Northrup, millers ; Smith & John-
ston, stationers; W. Swayne, inn-keeper; the Misses Vanallen, dressmakers ;
Ira Warner, carpenter ; H. G. Weagant, merchant.
On October 17, 1860, Morrisburg was incorporated, the Council elected in
January, 1861, consisting of A. G. Macdonell (Reeve), J. H. Casselman, I. N.
Rose,W. Millar, F. Bradfield, J. P. Looking back to the early forties what
changes have taken place! In 1860 the Morrisburg Banner, was established, a
newspaper edited by Jas. Holden; and in 1863 appeared the Dundas Courier,
founded by H. C. Kennedy. In the early issues of the latter are the follow-
GROUP OF MORRISBURG RESIDENCES.
Res. W. D. Meikle. Res. H. Montgomery. Res. L. F. Selleck.
Res. Wm. Eager. Res. Dr. T. F. Chamberlain.
Res. Mrs. Alex. Farllnger. Res. J. S. Jamieson.
Res. F. Herbick. Res. G. Dillen, jr.
Res. R. Gibson.
Res. M. Gibson.
St. James' Rectory.
Res. W. B. Cook.
ing additional names : T. Wildin, tailor; Jas. Chalmers, watchmaker; Wm.
Gibson, miller; Miss M. Pen-in and Mrs. J. Perkins, milliners; R. G. Nash,
machinist; T. F. Chamberlain, physician; Samuel Garvey, merchant; A. M.
Empey & Co., merchants; W. Flynn, proprietor Canadian marble works; J.
Glasford, merchant; P. H. Runions, dealer in boots and shoes; Messrs. Dean,
hotel-keepers; J, P. Kinney, merchant. About the middle sixties we find A.
F. Porteous, photographer ; W. Hickey, blacksmith; Isaac Allen, hotelkeeper;
Patterson & McGowan, tinsmiths; W. A. Plantz, grocer and stationer; F.
Tyrrell, attorney-at-law; Lyle & Gibson, carriage manufacturers ; A. Cam-
eron, merchant; H. C. Burritt, M. D.; Gilbert Smith, tailor; Wm. Broder,
Free trade intercourse with our American cousins increased the com mer-
cial activity, and from an authentic source we learn that during one Saturday
in April, 18 '6, more than 60 horses were shipped from Morrisburg by ferry
and G. T. R. Prosperity continued unabated into the seventies. The village
market was one of the best, indeed it eclipsed most others in eastern
Ontario. From distant points, within a few miles of Ottawa, from Cambridge,
from west and east, the rush was to the Morrisburg market with golden
grain and butter for the gold of the buyers. As an instance we
quote the following from the Courier: "George Munro,Esq., a well-to-do farm"
er of Finch, brought a load of butter to town which he disposed of without
the slightest difficulty at a high figure, receiving in cash as the total value of
the load the snug sum of four hundred and two dollars." At times competition
grew keen; loads of butter were auctioned without weighing and sometimes
the buyers suffered through this rivalry. Frequently the street from the mar-
ket square to Garvey's corner was crowded with barley, wheat and butter-lad-
en wagons, the drivers waiting with eagerness an opportunity to unload*
Among those prominent in the grain trade were: A. C. Hartwell, Brad-
field Bros., Wm. Gibson, A. Clement, Captain Farlinger; and in the butter
trade, T. McDonald, Wm. Broder, John Barry, W. and J. Meikle, Wm. Gar-
vey, and J . F. Gibbons.
As to the selection of the name of the village, we quote from the Brockville
Recorder of May, 1864. The article is headed "Morrisburg," and reads as fol-
lows: "The inhabitants of the thriving little village have just been presented
with the sum of $100 by Hon. James Morris, of this town. The village was
named out of compliment to the honorable gentleman, and for this he desired
to show his appreciation by the gift we have named. The $100 was given by
Mr. Morris to aid in securing a bell or clock for the town hall."
In 1866 Morrisburg had a population of 1,400, three hotels, a fine school house,
several churches, many fine private dwellings and thriving mercantile and in-
dustrial shops. The late 60's and early 70's saw an increase in building, Lock
368 THE STORY OF DTTNDA8
street, and the vicinity between St. James' church and the G. T. R. station
in particular. Another benefit secured was the opening of an agency of
the Molsons Bank, with Geo. K. Morton, manager. About that time the pro-
posd Ottawa-Morrisburg railway was receiving attention, and the Electric
city (Waddington) was smiling across the water in anticipation of a Portland-
Ogdensburg line. Neither project, however. was ever realized.
The market to which we have referred was not the creation
of a day; in one month, during the autumn of 1872, there was purchased at
Morrisburg for the English trade 6,482 tubs of butter, which meant in round
figures $130,000 paid to the farmers during that month. The payment of
many thousands of dollars daily on this market became common, and
on more than one occasion the funds at the local bank were exhausted. In
1874 the Morrisburg Herald was founded by Arthur Brown. During the
seventies among those added to the business and professional ranks were : C.
E. Hickey, M. D.; F. Soper, dentist; F. C. Denesha, provision merchant ; W.
A. Fitchell, painter; Thos. Russell, builder; W. Armstrong, proprietor G.T.R.
hotel; Howson Bros., tinsmiths; J. W. Kilgour & Bros., cabinetmakers ; J. F.
Millar, proprietor of foundry; D. A. Breckenridge, druggist; George Ross,
hotel-keeper; Thos. Bell, merchant; Clement & Flynn, merchants; P. Lalonde,
grocer; McKendry & Porter, merchants; Wm. Baker, merchant; J. W. Low,
cabinetmaker; Wm. Kingston, market clerk; John Capell & Co., merchants;
F. B. Carman, druggist; Mrs. R. D. Billiard, tailoress; H. G. Merkley & Son,
proprietors of planing mill, etc.; J. Stickles, manufacturer of dairying utensils;
J. Halliday & Co., merchants; J. P. Whitney, barrister; Miles Brown, M. D.;
J. M. Watson, grocer. Many of Morrisburg's beautiful residences were erected
in the latter seventies. In 1879 the organization of a fire company occurred
and the village council made a substantial grant towards the movement, the
uniforms being purchased in Montreal by the company's captain, C. S. Crysler.
The present music hall, a spacious anditorum which compares very well with
those in many larger towns, was opened in 1880.
Other changes might be noted during the 80's. A directory of that period
contains many additional names, including G. E. Millar, barrister;
R. Lovell, V. S.; D. B. Rutherford, M. D.; Munroe & Capell, merchants; A.
Lalonde. shoe merchant; Adam Johnston, barrister; R. A. Smith, M. D.; J. H.
Bedford, L. D. S.; H. E. Snyder, grocer; Bush & Stata, dealers in marble.
More recently among those who have come and gone we find Frank Allison,
grocer; Dr. J. A. Saunders, dentist; Wra. Kilgour, cabinetmaker; Fred Hep-
burn, confectioner; N. Ralph, saddler; F. W, Sherman, grocer; Vanallan &
Son, boot and shoe merchants; A. Burr, market gardener; J. F. Gibbons, mer-
chant; Baker & Sons, bakers; B. King, furniture manufacturer; R. Lyle, car-
riage manufacturer ; W. H. Sherman, proprietor of Sherman House; J. Lahue,
butcher ; W. Mead, carriagemaker . Sinee the incorporation of the village
the following were among the municipal officers :
Beeves 1861-76, A. G. Macdonell; 1877-81, T. F. Chamberlain, M. D.; 1881-7,
William McKenzie; 1888, J. P. Gibbons ; 1889, G. P. Graham ; 1800-2, Thos. Mc-
Donald; 1892 (latter part), A. G. F. Drew ; 1893-6, John H. Meikle; 1897, S. B.
Fell; 1898-1901, George F. Bradfield; 1902, H. Montgomery; 1903, A. A. Logan;
1904, G. L. Brown, 0. E.
Clerks 1861, A. C. Hartwell; 1862-75, John Fetterly ; 1876, James Mallen;
1877-81, William H. Garvey; 1881-2, James Mallen; 1883, William H. Garvey;
1884-86 John Fetterly; 1887-92, F. F. Plantz; 1893-98, A. C. Whitteker; 1899-
1904, F. R. Chalmers.
For many years Morrisburg was a port of entry, and among the American
consuls located here were: James Beddington, Sellar Leischman, W. A.
Schofield, Seward 8. Crapser, Albert Fowler, John B. Hamilton. In March,
1890, Geo. F. Bradfield was appointed vice and deputy consul which position
he retained until the removal of the office in 1902. In addition to the Bob Boy
previously mentioned, the ferry steamers which have plied between Morris-
burg and Waddington include the Eureka, Swan, Shickluna, Kendrick, Arctic,
Alaska, Jubilee and Stranger.
The County Begistry office is situated at Morrisburg; the registrars have
been Col. Alex. Macdonell, John P. Crysler, Simon S. Cook and Thomas Mc-
Donald, the latter appointed in June, 1892. Mr. McDonald, a native of Winches-
ter township, served eleven years as a Public school teacher before coming to
Morrisburg, in I860, and four years later entered mercantile life in which ca-
pacity he has since continued.
Morrisburg may aptly be designated the village of pretty and stately homes.
These are not without architectural beauty. Variety of design is also a notice-
able feature, thus removing that sameness characterestic of many towns.
The several educational and religious institutions of the village are an addi-
tional evidence of progress. An excellent system of waterworks is in opera-
tion, the water being obtained from the St. Lawrence river, at Whirlpool
Point, which is an assurance of its absolute purity. The system also furnishes
adequate fire protection as well as water for the Grand Trunk engines.
The superb electric light and power plant, owned by the village, was installed
in 1901, at a cost of $35,000. About 2,800 lights are in use, and the rates are
exceedingly low. As a summer resort the vicinity is annually gaining in
favor ; the beautiful island homes of Messrs. J. Wesley Allison, and James
Corrigan, situated opposite Morrisburg, are especially fine. Among the more
recent indications of growth is the laying of granolithic walks along the
principal streets of the village.
372 THE STORY OF DUNDAS
The older residents recognize the changed conditions of the country of late
years, since grain growing is not as profitable as formerly; the introduction of
dairying, and the opening of the C. P. B. through the rear townships of the
county, diverting trade to the new villages along the line, have had a reac-
tionary influence upon Morrisburg and its market in common with other St.
Lawrence towns, yet the village has continued to hold its own notwithstand-
ing, while the near future holds out promise of industrial activity on a much
larger scale than heretofore realized.
The several professions are represented by medical practitioners Dr. J.
BlackJock, Dr. Chas. E. Hickey, Dr. E. McLaughlin, Dr. P. C. Casselman ;
barristers, Geo. F. Bradfield, J. P. Whitney, K. C., I. Billiard, R. F. Lyle,
Myers & Myers ; dentists, Dr. Geo. Emmett, Dr. W. C. Davy ; druggists, F.
B. Carman, L. F. Selleck ; Geo. L. Brown, C. E. ; Dr. W. W. Williams, V. S. ;
banks, Molsons, W. 8. Connolly, manager ; Bank of Ottawa, C. B. Graham,
manager ; hotels, St. Lawrence Hall, W. H. McGannon, prop.; Windsor
House, Reuben McDonell, prop.; Central Hotel, Jas. McAvoy, prop.; American
House, Mrs. Samuel Johnston, proprietress ; grist and flour mills, owned by
Gibson & Co., and J. A. Far-linger ; postmaster, P. Gormley ; general mer-
chants, W. & J. Meikle, Thomas McDonald, E. Duffy, Mullin Bros.; dry
goods merchants, D. C. Bush; grocers, Casselman Bros., W. G. Becksted, A. B.
Sherman, John Fitzpatrick ; hardware merchants, R. H. Bradfield & Co.,
Bradfield Bros. & Co.; tin and hardware depots, Geo. J. How-
son, T. W. Howson, Charles P. McMartin ; marble works, James Mc-
Laughlin, Jas. Laskey ; jewelers, F. R. Chalmers, J, M. Whitteker ; furniture
dealers and undertakers, W . Marsh & Son, J. T. Jarvis ; boot and shoe stores,
L. Tupper, J. F. Casselman & Co. ; opticians, A. A. Whitteker, T. D, Dodd ;
photographers, S. B. Fell, J. M. Whitteker ; restaurants, C. J. Weegar, Fred
F. Sherman ; tailors, A. H. Casselman, F. A. Nash, R. H. Montgomery ; dress
and mantle makers, Misses Snyder, Misses Merkley, Mrs. Jos. Lahue, Miss
K. McNaughton, Misses Simmons, Misses O'Neil ; milliners, Miss A. Pariseau,
Misses Gillespie & Hilliard; baker and confectioner, Geo. Cameron; implement
dealers, W. H. Fetterly, J. Fetterly; printing offices, The Herald, The Leader;
collector of customs, A. J. Laflamme ; laundries, Key's Steam Laundry, Web-
ster Keys, prop., Chinese laundry ; saddler, E. Swayne ; butchers, R. J. Dil-
len, Becksted Bros., Geo. Dillen, jr. ; barbers, Fleming & Son, C. Loucks, F.
Stata, J. R. Mattice; G.T.R.station agent,S.R.Loucks;G.T.R.freight agent, G.
E. Myers ; proprietary medicine, The F. Williams Co. ; sawmills, J. S. Mc-
Kenzie, A. H. Merkley ; boot and shoe makers, W. Lamble, S. Burvis ; poultry
station, Scott, Ash ton & Co. ; carriagemaker, John Pyper ; blacksmiths, John
Eamon, Thos. Campbell, John Frymire, Robt. Bennett ; foundry, John Dain,
prop. ; cheese and butter factory, Wm. Eager, prop. ; liveries, F. A. Weegar,
Armstrong & Earaon ; machine shop, N. B. Nash, prop. ; bicycle repair shop,
W. W. Flynn, prop. ; painters, decorators and paper hangers, Geo. Carter,
W. T. Armstrong & Son, W. C. Casselman, W. H. Lapierre, W. Tracey ;
hacks, F. A. Weegar, Mrs. J. McGillvray ; draymen, A. Casselman, A. Me-
Koy, C. Clark ; builders and contractors, B. S. Wickware, Eli Hopper, Jacob
Weegar, Charles Mattice, J. Gillespie, L. Cheeley ; market gardeners, P. Her-
bick, J. Harrison, L. Southworth.
No community ia in a position to thrive without industries. In this particular
Morrisburg merits notice, with its excellent situation, superior transporta-
tion facilities by G. T. R. and river St. Lawrence, valuable waterpower and
other advantages. At time of writing an effort is being made to secure the
establishment of tin plate works, an industry which would undoubtedly
restore to Morrisburg her former industrial prestige. Ex-residents the world
over cherish the memory of this historic village, and it is verily true that the
hum of industry would induce many of them to return to their first love.
the short line of the C. P. E. from Smith's Falls to Montreal no
more prosperous village exists and none has a more likely future than the vil-
lage of Winchester. On all sides the country looks prosperous, due to its ex-
cellent soil*, its many well tilled and well conducted farms and comfortable
homes constituting an agricultural community second to none. But behind all
this a story lingers telling of pioneer struggles and privations.
The village site occupies portions of four farm lots in Winchester township.
In con. 6, east half lot 3 was owned and occupied by Wilson Forth, and north
half of lot 4 by Caleb Henderson; in con.7,George, John and Wm. Dixon were
the original owners of lot 3, and Benjamin Bates of west half lot 4, While the
forest still held sway and dreams of a future village were yet unrealized
Armstrong's Mills, now known as Ohesterville, was reckoned a settlement of
considerable importance. On the site of Winchester, the village of which we
now write, a small log house was erected by Benjamin Bates, and another 'by
Wilson Forth. These residences bounded on all sides by unbroken forest soon
proved the neucleus of a prosperous settlement, and in time to accommodate
the needs of the residents a small store was opened by Joseph Miller, who also
conducted a blacksmith shop, situated on lot 3, con. 6. Samuel Brown, a car-
riagemaker, toiled in a rude building on the site of the present Mercill block.
Fjarly in the forties a log school house was erected, on lot 8, con. 7, being in
striking contrast to the present handsome hall of learning.
The next merchant to cater to the needs of the public Was William Bow,
Who in 1854 opened a general mercantile business in a log building on the
corner of which is now Main and Ottawa streets. In February, 1855, the little
cross-road hamlet which up to that time had been known as Bates' Corners
received postal service, the office was named West Winchester, and Mr. Bow
received the appointment of postmaster, a position which he has since filled
with acceptance, tfntil the middle forties the residents obtained their mail
at Matilda (Iroquois) village, and later at Chesterville, then known as Win-
chester. With the establishment of the postoffice business increased. Scott
Broder succeeded Joseph Miller as merchant, and a little later James Milled
WINCHESTER VILLAGE} 377
became proprietor. John Brown and William Musgrove conducted a shoe
shop, and John A. Chambers a blacksmith shop,
In industrial circles the name of M. F. Beach, formerly of the township of
Oxford, has long been prominent, In 1850 Mr. Beach came to West Win-.
Chester and erected a sawmill on lot 4i con. 6. The clearing there was then
so limited that Mr. Bow engaged Alex. Bilow to remove the timber and make.
ready a. site for the mill* The new industry flourished, and soon Mr. Beach
was joined by his brother Asa. A large lumbering and mercantile business
was carried on by the firm, the chief product of the former being sqiiared
timber for the Quebec market. This timber was placed afloat on the Nation,
Bideau and Castor rivers, About the year!867their interests were enlarged by
the erection of steam grist and planing mills, and about 1870 a sash and door
factory was added, Finally, after Asa's removal to Cbesterville, where he
e ngaged in general store-keeping on his own account, Wm. Hughes became
the partner of M, P, in the mercantile business. When Mr. Hughes retired
from the firm A, P, Annable took his plaoe.bqt soon the latter also withdrew,
and Mr, Beach, after running the store for some time, sold out to James
Alexander. But to return to the milling business, the growth in that de*
partment had been rapid, affording considerable impetus to the little village,
So well had Mr, Beach's plans developed that in 1883 he began the erection of
a brick flour and grist mill on the St. Jjawrenee, at Iroquojs, but before its
completion a counter occurrence transpired, On the morning of July 12, 1884,
his entire plant, mills and factory, store and a number of dwellings at Win=
Chester were consumed by fire, the loss exceeding $75,000, with no insurance,
Undaunted by the heavy reverse, Mr, Beach at once began the work of
rebuilding, which he soon accomplished, and a few years later he constructed
a large furniture factory,
Messrs, J, D, and A , J, kaflamine, men of shrewd business, ability, located in
the village to 1898, They bought farm produce and conducted a general mer*
pantile trade; this firm still flourishes under the direction of J, D, Jjaflamrne,
The first hotel'keeper in ^ village was John Pixom others have been
Thomas Pixon, Thomas Veiteh, James ieott, Mr, Beta", P, C, Bowen, Jacob
Pixon, Kiram Wallace, Medical men from Obegtervllle and Dr, Wylie,
of Matilda, visited the village for many years. W, II, Chamberlain, M, D,,
was the first resident doetor, followed by Dr. 0, M, Biekey, BOW of Morrisburg,
Ont,, Pri, Melntyre, Beddiek, and Gonnerty, sow of Smith's Falls, About the
middle sixties the roll of tradesmen reveals the names of H. Merdll, earriaf
makeri W, L, Seott, tailor? Samuel and John Boss, oarriag emakere and black,
smiths; T, Suddaby, eabinetmaker, IB ig Andrew Brodr, the present
representative of Pundits in the Souse of Commons, began business as ft pro*
duee and general merchant, Many others, whom the writer is unable to name,
878 THB STORY OP DUNDAS
have contributed in a measure to the general prosperity of the place.
Winchester is a modern village. Its rise has been phenomenal, and to the
minds of the older residents of to-day a great transformation is recalled. Be-
fore the embryo of settlement had formed Chesterville and Inkerman were
aglow with promise, yet, as if by magic, Winchester sprung up in their midst.
Through succeeding years the citizens hare been largely a unit in promoting
the welfare of the village. While various conditions and events have been
agencies of growth, not the least of these was the opening of the C. P. B.,
important alike to the development of the village and township. The new
station was named Winchester, the choice of the C. P. B. people. Up to this
time the postofflce had been designated West Winchester, but now to prevent
confusion the office assumed the same name as the station. In 1888, the year
of the incorporation of the villlage, a more prosperous era dawned. Business
in all lines flourished. About this time a branch of the Union Bank had been
started; the Winchester Press was founded; a new roller mill with a capacity
of one hundred barrels per day was opened; the foundry and machine shop
built by Cox andMcArthur had been transferred to George Henderson, who in-
creased the output to meet the growing trade;an increase in building followed,
and the C. P. R. agent reported that the local cash receipts had surpassed the
most hopeful expectations of the Company. The first village council con-
sisted of reeve, Aaron Sweet; councillors, Robert Beddick, Hugh Christie
Henry Mercill and James Alexander. The first municipal clerk, N. W. Beach,
still retains that office. Subjoined is a consecutive list of reeves A Sweet,
1888-9; J. 8. Boss, 1890-2; Dr. 9. Reddick, 1893; J. S. Boss, 1894-5; M. Bailey,
1896; David Christie, 1897; William Faith, 1898-9; J. S. Boss, 1900; W. J. Fras-
er, 1901-2; C. A. Beach, 1903; J. Drinkwater, 1904.