J. Smyth Carter.

The story of Dundas, being a history of the County of Dundas from 1784 to 1904 online

. (page 33 of 40)
Online LibraryJ. Smyth CarterThe story of Dundas, being a history of the County of Dundas from 1784 to 1904 → online text (page 33 of 40)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

the latter instance Mr. Robertson also received a medal for his heroism in
staying with his comrades, as he could easily have gained the shore when the
boat capsized.

The original home of the Mclntosh Red apple is lot 9,con.5,Matilda township.
Here while John Mclntosh f a pioneer resident, was making a clearing, a few
apple trees were discovered, one of which was destined to be famous. His
son, the late Allen Mclntosh, the real promoter of this popular apple, was
the propagator of other varieties, and instituted the Mclntosh nursery at Dun-
dela, Ont. A photo of the parent Mclntosh tree appears in this volume ,

Title of merit: By an Order-in-Council, passed 1789, it was duly declared


that every son of a Loyalist should have when of age 200 acres of land: that
every daughter of a Loyalist should have when married 200 acres; and that
the descendants of those who had been loyal to Great Britain during the Rev-
olutionary War should have their names distinguished from the names of
other people by the letters "U. E," signifying Unity of the Empire. In the
working out of this proclamation it is true that Canada proportionately has
more titled people than are found in any other country; an aristocracy of
merit, not of money.

In his official report, a copy of which is at hand, Peter McFarlane,Dominion
Cold Storage Inspector, gives a glowing account of a cheese and butter fac-
tory in Duudas which reflects the general development of the dairying inter-
ests throughout the county. The factory described by Mr. McFarlane as "a
model cheese and butter factory" is situated at Dunbar, and is owned by A.
A. Logan, of Morrisburg.

Steichmann and Tewit were the original government surveyors of Dundas
county. The former of these afterwards met death by drowning while pro-
ceeding from York to Kingston.

Von Schultz's powder horn, a relic of hostile days, is in possession of G. I.
Carman,of Iroquois, whose father was an officer at the battle of the Windmill.

Singing schools were early instituted in Dundas. Among the teachers
were. Mackenzie Stamp and John Lewis.

In this county the first vault for the dead was built in 1887 by Chas. Cassel-
man, on the east half of lot 34, con. 1, Williamsburg.

On July 17, 1902, a terrible cyclone passed through the township of Win-
chester, destroying life and property.

Early mills: In addition to those already referred to, was one built by John
Munroe, on the Point, below Mr. Flagg's,in Matilda, while another, owned by
David Robertson, was located a short distance from the St. Lawrence.on what
is known as the Robertson or Flagg creek. Grant's mill, on the Nation river,
in Edwardsburg, was built by Louis Grant, a land surveyor.

Population : The following statistical report of the population of Dundas
has been obtained from Ottawa. The table begins with the year 1824. The
population given for 1832 and 1851 appear to be in error : 1824 3,101; 1825
3,238; 1826-3,577; 18273,600; 18283,797; 18314,382; 18323,922; 1833, 4,728;
18345,262; 18355,518; 18365,725; 18376,012; 18386,565; 18399,761; 1840
17,212; 185113,811; 186118,777; (9,522 males and 9,255 females); 187118,-
777 (9,500 males,9,277 females) 188120,598; 189121,132; 190119,757. The pop-
ulation of 1901 is divided among the several municipalities as follows: Chester-
ville 932; Iroquois 1,097; Matilda township, 4,016;Morrisburg, 1,693; Mountain


township 3,427 ; Williamsburg township, 3,906; Winchester township, 3,583;
Winchester village, 1,101.


A Toronto correspondent has kindly furnished the following official list
of two companies, 1st Regiment Dundae Militia, who served during the war
of 1812-14:

Captain Ault's company: Captain, Michael Avilt; 1st lieut., James Fraser;
2nd lieut., Jacob Doran; ensign, Duncan Clark; sergeants Jonathan Ault,
Isaac Forrester, Nicholas J . Shaver, John Keeler; corporals, Farquer Snyder,
Nicholas J. Shaver, Jacob Dulmage; privates, Gabriel Forrester, John Saver,
John Fralick, Robt. Glassford, Geo. H. Shaver, Geo. Coons, David Doran,
Faxton Rathburn, Jacob Cains, Henry Weager, James Stamp, Geo. Johnson,
Alex. Reaven, Michael Barkley, Peter Freece, David Freece, John H. Shaver,
James Lennox, Michael Freece, Jacob Stamp, Jonathan Wickware, Elijah
Lennox, Jacob Strader, Samuel Faddle, David Fralick, Joseph Surcheal, Peter
Surcheal, John F. Casselman, Conrad Rinture, John A. Shaver, John Stewart,
David Sealy, Jacob Sipes, John Welsh, William Stewart, Michael Brouce,
Peter VanCamp, Wm. Servos, Henry Coons, Authony Wallace, Jacob Coons,
Lewis Godare, Jacob Fader, John VanCamp, John Coons, Edward Shaver,
Edward Foster, John Dorin, Godfrey Avickhousir, Joseph Lock, Baptiste La-
joy, Robt. Redman, Jacob Brouce, John Collison,

Captain Merkley's company: Captain, Geo. Merkley; 1st lieut., Alex., Rose;
2nd lieut., Christopher Merkley; ensign, Jacob Merkley; sergeants, Luke De
Penzira, Jacob H. Merkley, William Loucks, Adam Merkley ; privates, Jacob
Merkley, John Hickey, Martin Berkley, Conrad Casselman, Daniel Shell, Steph-
en Garlough, Charles Lasarte, Garret Marsailes, Peter Marsailes, Frederick
Ouderkirk, Andrew Barger, Moses Wood Peter Fetterly, Adam Crowberger,
Matthew Steiner, Henry Van Allen, Jacob Front, Anthony Crowder, Peter
Holmes, John Casselman, Hugh McCragan, Frederick Hanes, Wm. Knight,
Nicholas Ault, John Filler, Philip Fry mire, Conrad Fry mire, Frederick Baker,
Philip Loux, Joseph Hanes, Adam Nudle, John Barger, Tobias Myers, Jacob
Algire, James O'Brien, Nicholas Baker, Joseph Helmer, William Casselman,
Win. Scott, Jacob. Rosenberger, Lewis Swetsfager, Stephen Hunt, Everet P.
Barkley, John Van Allen, John Cook, Alex. Beadstead, Nicholas Dillaback,
David Hanes, Peter Granberger, Gasper Berkley, John Polly, Peter Loux,
John Crowbayer, Peter Pruner, John I. Shaver.

For the facts in this incident we are indebted to Mr. Croil: "The maternal
ancestor of the present Ross family was a daughter of Michael Merkley, a in the valley of the Mohawk. This girl Christiame (afterwards
Mrs. Ross) was keeping house for her father, her mother being dead. The
family consisted of herself, seventeen years of age; her sister Eve, fifteen; and


a little brother, between five and six. The father and a niece of his were away
from home and as evening approached the children grew anxious. Presently
the absent men appeared mounted on horseback and the dear children rushed
out to greet them. Just then a volley of bullets from a party of Indians in
ambush struck both father and niece and ere they were dead their scalps were
taken off. The house was plundered, the buildings set on fire, and the poor,
little, weeping, trembling orphans carried away by their savage captors. The
cries of the little boy as he begged to go to his father could not be appeased.
At length the Indians becoming enraged sent the girls ahead with the squaws.
Separated from his sisters the lad's cries grew louder until finally his life was
ended by a blow from a tomahawk, his dangling scalp being shown the sifters
as a warning to them to keep quiet. The march to Fort Niagara occupied a
period of five weeks and during that time the lives of the girls would have
been taken but for the interposition of the squaws. After remaining at Ni-
agara for several weeks they were sold to John Johnson, who took them to
Montreal and retained them as servants for about fcwo years. At the close of
that time Christiame married Jacob Boss, a discharged soldier. They settled
on a farm in Osnabruck township; were supplied by the government with
household requisites, but having no cow they finally decided that Mrs. Ross
should return to Montreal and earn enough money to buy a cow while her
husband should continue to effect a clearing. This they successfully accom-
plished and thereafter enjoyed many years of peace and prosperity. Mrs. Ross
lived to the age of 98,and so dearly did she prize her German Bible and prayer-
book that these were in accordance with her request placed in her coffin.
John S. and Jacob Ross, grandsons of Jacob and Christiame Ross, settled in


During the early days of settlement here Jacob Merkley and John Shaver
set out on foot for Montreal, drawing a hand sled, with provisions, blankets,
etc. The snow on the shore being very deep they followed the margin of the
St. Lawrence and at the close of six days arrived at Montreal. There they
purchased supplies,among other things an iron pot or cooler for boiling sugar,
and with their load started home. They made slow progress, but being young
stalwarts they pushed on with vigor. Finally Mr. Shaver became exhausted
and sank on the ice. His comrade with a power almost born of despair placed
the fallen brother on the load and hauled the double cargo to the nearest
dwelling. There they remained for a day when Mr, Shaver was again able to
resume his place at the ropes and finally reached home after an absence of
three weeks. The "cooler" referred to in this narrative is still in evidence at
the home of Herman Shaver, near Morewood, and a photo of it appears in this


The following account of which appears in Leavitt's History,re-
fers to the late Paul Glasford, for many years a prominent resident of Brock-
ville. The Glasford family, who settled early in Matilda township, had resid-
ed in the Province of New York, and while coasting along Lake Ontario
en route to Canada frequent stops were made to secure game and cook pro-
visions. During one such halt Paul (then six years of age) was lost and after
searching the forest for three days the distressed parents proceeded on their
journey believing their child had been devoured by wild beasts. What hap-
pened is best described in the words as they fell from the lips of Mr. Glas-
ford in after life: "I wandered away from the other children gathering wild
grapes and flowers, and before I was aware of the fact I was lost. I could not
make them hear my cries, and continued running about expecting to find the
lake. I at last was overcome with fatigue, and lying down cried myself to
sleep. When I awoke the sun was shining; I satisfied my hunger with grapes
and continued to travel through the woods by day, sleeping in the best hiding
place at night. I do not know how many days I had wandered about, when
I suddenly came in sight of the lake. I was overjoyed, thinking that I would
find my parents. I ran down to the beach and looked in all directions but
could see nothing but the clear blue water in front and the dark forest behind.
I had lived on the wild grapes all this time as I could find nothing else; and as
I had heard my father say that Niagara was toward the setting sun, I contin-
ued in that direction along the sandy beach day after day, concealing myself
at night in the bushes as I was greatly afraid of meeting with Indians, think-
ing they would take me with them. For fear that it would prove cloudy I
made a mark in the sand every night before going to sleep so that I would
not be mistaken the next morning in the direction to proceed. One day I saw
an Indian and squaw coming along the beach; I was frightened and hid in
the bushes and thereby escaped their notice. After they had disappeared I
proceeded on my journey until I reached the mouth of the Niagara river
where I was taken charge of and conveyed to the camp by some soldiers. I
told them that I had been lost in the woods; I was soon in my mother's arms,
my parents having delayed along the shore in the hope of receiving tidings of

A Winchester correspondent furnishes the following: "Many years ago an
old gentleman and his wife living west of Winchester Springs were having a
'bee' and for the event supplies were necessary. Accordingly our host
borrowed the five-gallon jug which did service for the whole neighborhood.
Strapping it fast to his back with moose-wood strings husband and wife set
out through the woods to Dixon's Corners, the nearest supply depot. Sundry
purchases were made at the store of Wm. Woods, while at the Dixon hotel
the jug was filled and the journey home was undertaken. Arriving there first,
the old lady, fearing her partner in joys and sorrows might remain all night


in the woods, went back in search of him and found him enjoying himself
immensely. He had placed the jug on a stump and lay down beside it sing-
ing the 23rd Psalm. The old lady gathered him up, placed the jug on her
back, and proceeded homeward, while the old gentleman managed to follow,
carrying a good jag within."

(Squire) George McMillan, of Dunbar, refers to his pioneer experiences in
that vicinity as follows: "I started out to face the world when thirteen years
of age and early engaged to cut the timber from three acres of land for which
I was to receive five dollars per acre. While thus engaged my board was
potatoes and buttermilk, until the last week when my employer threshed
some wheat and buckwheat, on the level sod with a span of horses; cleaned it
with a hand-fan, took it to the mill at Waddington, got it ground into flour,
and then we had bread. I took a similar job from Jeremiah Marcelis and was
to pay extra board if my time exceeded nine days per acre. Thus when the
job was finished only ten dollars was due me. Besides this I broke my axe
and had to pay Richard Allen, of Morrisburg, one dollar for fixing same. Mr.
Marcelis gave me an order for ten dollars for goods at Henry G. Merkley's
store at Morrisburg and carried my whole purchase home in a scantily filled
hankerchief. Going back still earlier, a trip to Armstrong's Mills (Chester-
ville) comes to mind. In 1838 (Uncle) Dan McMillan and I with an ox team
and cart went to Armstrong's Mills with a small grist. The condition of the
roads can be judged from the fact that the journey occupied a day. Arriving
there in the evening we had to wait until the following day and having no
money to pay for our board or lodging, Mr. Armstrong lent us some flour
with which Mrs. Armstrong baked us a small cake and also gave us some
milk. This we ate with a relish, after which we lay down and slept all night
on the bags. Next morning Mr. Armstrong tolled and ground our wheat, took
out the flour he had loaned us the previous evening and home we started. I
also remember the visit of the tax collector to my father's home. Our tax
was one dollar, and we at once set to work to thresh on the sod enough oats
to pay the call. I then engaged with a neighbor for two days in payment for
a horse and cart to take the oats to Bell's Corners, where Squire Bell paid us
for the eight bushels which we threshed one dollar, just enough to pay the

Original contractors : William Elliot and Benjamin Chaffey were the origi-
nal contractors of that portion of the Grand Trunk railway running through
tne county of Dundas.

Eighteenth century receipt : Following is a true copy, the original being
in the possession of James Dingwall, Cornwall, Ont. :


JOHNSTOWN HALL, 3rd April, 1778.

Received from Jacob Pickle ninety pounds in full for one year's rent due and
ending the thirteenth instant for the mill at Johnstown.

90 (Signed) JOHN JOHNSON.


"As it is apprehended that some mistake has been committed, in making
out the Grants for the Lotts, on the west side of the River Raisine and in the
Rear of the Lotts letters a, b, c, d, e & f in front and more particularly in that
that was Patrick Burk's, which I purchased from him, and have, as 1 supposed
a deed for, I hereby Promise and in case of accident to myself Bind my Heirs,
as far as honor can bind them, which I have Always held sacred, and have no
doubt they will, that should the deed I possess convey to me any other Lott
than the one I purchased from Patrick Burk, I will return it to the Proper
owner or Possessor on his or their releasing to me that that was Burk's and
was meant to be conveyed to me by the Deed I have, and as it appears also
that the Lott on which James Dingwall has Improved, and lives, was laid out
short of its Quantity of acres and Extent, in order to Compleat twelve hund-
red acres for me at the Point and in Muddy Bay I hereby Promise also that
I will release to him, as much of my Lotts, in his rear, as will make up his
Quota to a hundred acres, or to any other Persons, that it may be made to
appear appear Clearly to me that I made the same Promise all which I mean
to Perform if necessary in the course of the ensuing summer or sooner should
the Deed be received and be found erronious.

Given under my hand at Montreal the 22nd day of Dec'r 1804.




DR. WILLIAM JOHN ANDERSON, deceased, was born in County Antrim^
Ireland, in 1839, and was the son of Rev. Joseph Anderson, a pioneer Presby-
terian minister in this country. Dr. Anderson was educated at the Iroquois-
Grammar School, and in 1861 graduated in Medicine from Queen's University,
Kingston. After practising his profession at Smith's Falls for a number of
years, he purchased the Winchester Springs Sanitarium property, and con-
tinued to be the proprietor of that popular watering place until his death,
in 1904. Besides being a skilful, popular and conscientious physician and
surgeon, he always took an active interest in the educational, political, agri-
cultural and military affairs of this province.

DR. J. J. BLACKLOCK, the oldest practising physician in Dundas county,,
is a son of the late Ambrose Blacklock, a native of Scotland, who was for
some time a surgeon in the navy. The subject of this sketch spent three-
years in hospital work at Quebec, under the direction of Dr. James Douglas;,
also spent a similar period in Montreal, and graduated from McGill Medical
College in 1851. In 1852 he began the practice of his profession at Morrisburg,
remaining until 1864, when he went to Alexandria, Glengarry county, for a
time. He soon returned to Dundas, and opened an office at North Williams-
burg, where he remained four years; went to Chesterville as successor to Dr.
Grant, where he continued for 22 years; returning to Morrisburg in 1894. Dr.
Blacklock has been a successful physician. In 1858 he married Jessie, daugh-
ter of the late Major Donald McDonald.

DR. MILES BROWN, son of the late Rev. William Brown, was born June 8,
1842, in South Crosby, Leeds county. He was educated at the public and
high schools and Toronto Normal School, holding a first class certificate from
the latter institution. He taught school for a number of years, concluding:
with Morrisburg Public School in 1866 and '67. In 1871 he graduated at Vio-


4oria Medical School, Toronto, and began the practice of his profession at
Chesterville, Ont., but soon removed to Lyn, where he remained until 1878.
Jfle located at Morrisburg, and became editor and manager of The "Herald,"
which position he relinquished in 1880 to resume his practice in Chesterville.
"There he has since resided, having since 1891 his son, Dr. W. A. Brown, asso-
ciated with him in his practice. Our subject was a member of the first Coun-
ty Board of Examiners for Dundas under the Education Act of 1871; was the
first reeve of the village of Chesterville after its incorporation in 1890; was a
micinber of the council for a number of years, and of the Chesterville School
Board, of which he is at present chairman.

DR. W. A. BROWN, son of Dr. Miles Brown, was born at Chesterville, Jan-
uary 15, 1868. He was educated at Morrisburg and Chesterville public schools
*nd Iroquois High School. He taught school for a brief interval ; entered up-
on the study of medicine at McGill University, where he graduated in 1891,
winning the Holmes gold medal for that year. In 1901 he went to London,
England, where he attended various hospitals, and received the diploma of
the Society of Apothecaries of London, entitling him to practise medicine
and surgery in Great Britain. While there, he took a special course on dis-
eases of the eye and ear. Since 1891 he has been practising at Chesterville,

PERCIVAL C. CASSELMAN, M. D., C. M., is a son of Michael J. Casselman,
And was born in the township of Matilda in 1873. After attending the local
public schools and the Morrisburg Collegiate Institute, betook up the study
of medicine at McGill University, graduating from that institution in 1899,
.after a four years' course. The following year he also obtained the degree of
M. D for the Province of Ontario and State of New York ; spent one year on
the staff of the Royal Victoria Hospital, Montreal; and subsequently came
to Morrisburg, where he is at present numbered among the medical practi-

GEORGB WALLACE COLLISON, M. D., C. M., was born in Matilda in 1865.
His paternal grandparents were of U. E. Loyalist stock, the old home being
near Boston, Mass. His maternal ancestors emigrated from England to Can-
ada, and were numbered among the early settlers of Dundas. Allen Collison,
father of our subject, was a pioneer lumberman and farmer and lived to the ripe
age of 80 years; although his partner in life died when comparatively young,
leaving a family of small children. Dr. Collison received his primary educa-
tion at Dixon's Corners Public School; spent 2$ years at the Iroquois High
School (then under the able direction of W. A. Whitney, M. A.), taking his
nd class non professional in July, 1885. After teaching for three years, he
.Attended Ottawa Normal School, and afterwards returned to his profession,


teaching for 4i years the school where he had obtained his primary education.
At the completion of that time he entered the study of medicine at Queen's
College, Kingston, took the course in 3 years, graduating in 1898 with a full
honor certificate, and standing 3rd in a class of 42. He subsequently passed
the Ontario Medical Council and opened an office at Brinston's Corners, where
he has lately erected a home.

DR. W. C. DAVY was born at Pakenham, Ont., and when quite young mov-
ed with his parents to Morrisburg. His attendance at the Collegiate Insti-
tute of that town was followed by one year at Victoria University. He next
turned his attention to teaching, continuing in that calling for four years,
when he enrolled as a student at the Royal College of Dental Surgeons/gradu-
ating in 1904, and in May of that year began his practice at Morrisburg.

DR. GEORGE EMHETT was born near Whitby, South Ontario county,
April 13, 1867. He was educated at the public schools and Whitby Collegiate
Institute, graduating from the latter in 1886. He subsequently taught four
years in S. S. No. 13, Mount Zion, Ont. ; attended the Ottawa Normal School
in 1891, and later taught in Gananoque and Toronto. In 1892 he began the
study of dentistry, graduating from the Royal College of Dental Surgeons
in 1895, and also as Doctor of Dental Surgery from Toronto and Trinity Uni-
versities, receiving honor standing at both institutions. In April, 1895, he
opened an office at Morrisburg, where he has since conducted a successful

GEORGE ELLIS, M. D., son of Francis Ellis, was born in Matilda township.
He received his early education at Dundela Public School and Iroquois
High School. In 1896 he graduated from McGill University, and opened an
office in Morewood, where he practised four years. He then spent a year at
University College, London, and returning to Canada located at Chester-
ville, where he has recently erected a fine residence.

DR. H. B. FORD, son of H. W. Ford, of Bouck's Hill, received his educa-
tion at the local public schools, the Morrisburg Grammar School, and
Queen's University, graduating in medicine from the last-named institution
in 1885. He spent seven years of successful practice at Morewood and one
at Cookshire, before coming to Bouck's Hill, his present field of labor.

S. W. FRITH, L. D. S., son of Ebenezer Filth, was born at Riceville, Pres-
cott county, in 1867. He was educated at Vankleek Hill High School, and
thereafter engaged as a public school teacher for three years. He attended
Woodstock College, Royal College of Dental Surgeons, Toronto, graduating
in 1891 ; and opened an office at Winchester, Ont., his present place of prac-
tice. In 1901 he took a successful course at Haskell's School of Prosthetic


Dentistry, Chicago. In 1895 he married Annie, daughter of James Mul-
holland, of South Mountain.

JOHN HARKNESS, M. D., was born in the year 1841. He attended the
Matilda Grammar School from 1854 to 1857; graduated in medicine at McGill

Online LibraryJ. Smyth CarterThe story of Dundas, being a history of the County of Dundas from 1784 to 1904 → online text (page 33 of 40)