J. Smyth Carter.

The story of Dundas, being a history of the County of Dundas from 1784 to 1904 online

. (page 34 of 40)
Online LibraryJ. Smyth CarterThe story of Dundas, being a history of the County of Dundas from 1784 to 1904 → online text (page 34 of 40)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


in 1862 ; practised for a few months at (West) Winchester, and then removed
to the old homestead, "Drumard," where he has since resided, a practical
farmer and a successful physician. Believing that every man owes a part of
his time to the community in which he lives, the Doctor has always taken an
interest in local institutions. From 1863 to 1866 he was superintendent of
Matilda Schools. About 1868 he became a public school trustee, and has
since continued as such. In 1875 he was appointed trustee of the Matilda
High School (Iroquois) ; but, in consequence of seconding a motion to increase
the head master's salary $50 a year, was not reappointc-d until 1878 ; since
which time he has been a member of the board, being chairman since
1880, with the exception of one year. A mild Conservative in politics, a
thorough-going liberal in religion, and with a strong liking for scientific sub-
jects and history, he has alwa,ys kept his library table well supplied with
new books and a varied assortment of papers and magazines, scientific and
literary.

T. J. JAMIESON, M. D., the practising physician of Mountain, Ont., is the
son of David Jamieson and Mary J. (Gibson) Jamieson, and was born near
Wellington village in the township of North Gower, Carleton county, June
14, 1861. He received his early education at the Wellington Public Schoo.
and Perth Collegiate Institute. Under the private tuition of his brother (the
Rev. W. H. Jamieson, D. D., of Blenheim, Ont.), he prepared his matricula-
tion work for entrance to medical college and Medical Council of Ontario
In 1884, he entered the Royal Medical College of Kingston, and graduated
from Queen's University in the spring of 1888; he also graduated from Trin-
ity University, Toronto, with honors, standing at the head of a list of twenty
Queen's students who went up to Trinity for final examinations. In the
spring of 1888 the Doctor opened an office at Mountain, where he has since
pursued the active duties of his profession with skill and success.

DAVID JOHNSTON, M.B., practising physician and surgeon, Iroquois, Ont.,
was born in the township of Williamsburg, county of Dundas, July 28, 1861.
He is the third son of John Johnston and Mary (McLean) Johnston, both
natives of Scotland. His early education was secured at the public schools
and Morrisburg High School; and after teaching for three and a half years
he matriculated at the University of Toronto in 1883, and entered the Toron-
to School of Medicine, graduating in 1887 with the degree of Bachelor of
Medicine. In August of the same year he began the practice of his profession



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES 405

in Iroquois as successor to the late Dr. George Colquhoun. On the death of
the late William M. Doran, in 1891, he was elected a trustee of the Iroquois
High School, which position he has since occupied, with the exception of a
few years which he served in the village council. He is a past master of
Friendly Brothers Lodge A. F. & A. M., an Oddfellow, and also a member of
the "Independent Order of Foresters," "A. O. U. "W.," "Chosen Friends,"
"Woodmen of the World." In religion the Doctor is a Presbyterian, and in
politics a Liberal.

I. J. LANE, M.D., born in Williamsburg township in 1857, is the son of Wil-
liam H Lane and his wife, Alley Casselman. He attended the North Wil-
liamsburg Public School and the Iroquois High School, at the latter institu-
tion obtaining a third class certificate. After teaching for a time, he enter-
ed the St. Catharines Collegiate Institute, and secured a second class B. certi-
ficate. He resumed teaching, but subsequently took up the study of medi-
cine at Queen's University, graduating in 1886. He first practised at Mooer's
Forks, Clinton County, N. Y. ; went to Edinburgh, Scotland, where he took
a special course at the Royal Infirmary Institution; and upon his return to
Canada settled in his native village, North Williamsburg, where he has since
built up a large practice.

PETER MCLAUGHLIN, of Winchester, Ont., was born at Dundela, township
of Matilda, in 1860 His education at the public school was supplemented by
a course at the Morrisburg High School, where he secured a second class
certificate After teaching the Rowena Public School for two years, he at-
tended St Catharines Collegiate Institute, obtaining there a first class Eng-
lish certificate He taught for three years as English master in St. Cath-
arines and Strathroy Collegiate Institutes, and entering Trinity Medical Col-
lege secured the degree of M. D., C. M., in 1888, taking first class honors and
a special certificate of honor in his class. Since then he practised at Win-
chester Springs for three years and at Smith's Falls for one year, as partner
with the late Dr. W. Gt. Anderson, and for the past eleven years in the village
of Winchester.

EDWARD MCLAUGHLIN, M. D., was born at Dundela, township of Matilda,
where he attended the local school. After graduating from the Morrisburg
High School, he taught the Irena Public School for three years, and began
the study of medicine under Dr. John Harkness. He attended Queen's Medi-
cal College, Kingston, graduating in 1886. After practising at Harrowsmith,
Frontenac County, for three years he came to Morrisburg, where he has since
been engaged in active practice.

DR. NEIL MALLOCH, born in the township of Osgoode, county of Carleton,
in 1865, is a son of Peter Malloch, a native of Perthshire, Scotland, who eini-



406

grated to Canada in 1843. The subject of this sketch was educated at the
Smith's Falls High School and Gait Collegiate Institute. After teaching for
five years, he enrolled as a student of medicine at McGill University ; gradu-
ated in 1897 with honors, and selected Winchester, Ont., as his place of prac-
tice. In 1898, he married Jennie Wallace, daughter of J. B. Wallace, of
Matilda. In religion the Doctor is a Baptist.

ALLAN BEVITT PARLOW, M. D., C. M., youngest son of the late George
Parlow, was born at Matilda, December 24, 1868. He attended the public and
high schools at Iroquois, matriculating from the latter in 1890. In 1894 he
secured the degree of M. D., C. M., from Queen's University, and settled in
Aultsville, where he practised five years. In 1899 he removed to Iroquois,
where he now practises. The Doctor married, in 1894, Anna E. Hales, of King-
ston, the union being blessed by two children.

ROBERT REDDICK, M. D., C. M., a practising physician of Winchester, was
born in Marlboro township, Carleton county, Ont., November 18, 1848 He
was enrolled as a student in medicine at McGill University, graduating in
1874. He then practised in Kemptville for one year, before settling in Win-
chester. In religion he is a Presbyterian and in politics a Conservative. His
connection with the Canadian militia exceeds a period of twenty years. His
grandfather, Daniel Reddick, was in the battle of Waterloo. On February
25, 1879, the Doctor married Mary R., daughter of J. B< Wallace, of Matilda
township.

JOHN SHIELDS, L. D. S., D. D. S., son of Peter Shields, was born at Smith's
Falls, Ont., where he was educated at the public and high schools. He at-
tended the Royal College of Dental Surgeons, Toronto, graduating in 1899.
He is at present practising at Chesterville, Ont.

DR. JAMES STEPHENSON, a native of Augusta township, Grenville County,
was born in September, 1834. He graduated from McGill College in 1859, and
began his professional practice in Iroquois. For several years he was reeve
of the municipality. Both in his general practice and in his service as G. T.
R. physician for about fifteen years, the Doctor has been successful. He still
resides in Iroquois, but has abandoned practice, owing to his advanced years.

J. WESLEY ALLISON is a son of David Allison, and was born at Dunbar,
township of Williamsburg, May 4, 1862. He was educated at the public
school near his home, and in 1882 left his native county to try his fortune
elsewhere. During the first eight months he engaged with a farmer, and at
the close of that time entered "railway life," in which sphere his keen fore-
sight and marked executive ability soon gained for him a prominent place in
the arena of "business and finance." Success followed success ; and in a few



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES 407

years his phenomenal rise had been acquired. It has been said, "There is a
tide in the affairs of men which, taken at its flow, leads on to fortune." Such
seems to apply to Mr Allison, whose force of character and upright persever-
ance have figured in his attainments. But notwithstanding the prestige and
influence which encircle his career, his love for the old county of his birth is
paramount ; and his beautiful island home in the vicinity of Morrisburg
affords him the exercise of that love. Mr Allison has offices in both New York
and Chicago ; and his business interests are extensive. The following is a
partial inventory of his business and official connections : treasurer of the
Eastern Trust Co. ; president of the Philadelphia Steel and Iron Co. ; U. S.
agent Canadian Government Railway System ; Allison, Meldrum & Co.,
bankers ; president of the Cramp Steel Co., L't'd ; vice president and secretary
of the National Association of Automobile Manufacturers ; president of the
Depew Syndicate ; vice president of the Muncie, Middletown and Greenfield
Railway ; president of the New York, Pennsylvania and Southwestern
Railroad Co. ; a director of the Metropolitan Railway Co. of the City of
Mexico ; and trustee in a number of other corporations.

MAHLON P BEACH, Iroquois, Ontario, was born on November 10, 1833, in
the township of Oxford, county of Grenville, Ontario. His father was Mahlon
Beach, a son of David Beach, and was born in the the state of New Jersey,
on October 26 , 1793. Mr Beach has a family record which shows his lineage
back to three pilgrim Beach brothers, who landed in America from England,
about 1625, and settled in Connecticut. When but a child the father of Mr.
Beach moved to the township of South Gower, county of Grenville, with his
parents, who were among the first settlers in that district. The mother of
Mr. Beach was Mercy May, daughter of Lyinan Clothier, and she was born
in the state of New York, on May 12, 1798. When a child she moved to the
township of Oxford with her parents; her father built the first mills in what
is known as the village of Kemptville. M. F. was educated at the common
schools and early in life set out to carve bis own fortune. He first worked at
the millwright business, and in 1856 went to the township of Winchester,
county of Dundas, and there built a small steam saw mill. He then added
other machinery and buildings, such as planing mills, sash and door factory,
etc., and also a flour mill. During the years of 1861-2-3-4, he engaged in square-
timber operations, taking the timber to Quebec. In the spring of 1883 he
bought a water privilege and mill-site on the St. Lawrence, moved to Iroquois
in June of the same year, and there commenced building a roller flour-mill,
which was put in operation in the fall of 1884. A few years later he built a
handsome residence overlooking the St. Lawrence. At Mr. Beach's place in
Winchester, where he still continues the old business, he saw grow up what



408 THE STORY OP DUNDAS

is now the village of Winchester. Between the years 1861 and 1878, Mr.
Beach was connected directly and indirectly in general store business; and he
has always been successful in his undertakings. On the morning of July 12,
1884, his mills at Winchester were destroyed by fire, and a number of other
valuable buildings, residence, a quantity of sawn lumber, flour, wheat, etc.,
to the amount of $75,000, were all swept away without any insurance. This
naturally crippled him financially; but, nothing daunted, he again commenc
ed building up the mills, but on a more elaborate scale, adding thereto a
furniture factory, the whole industries now employing in the neighborhood
of one hundred men. In 1898 the flour mills at Iroquois were shut down per-
manently, owing to the diverting of the water-power caused by the enlarge-
ment of the canal and the building of the new locks at Iroquois. In 1903 the
Winchester business was incorporated under the name of The M. P. Beach
Company, Limited, and Mr Beach is now president of that company and also
president of The Beach Foundry Company, Limited, organized in the same
year by his son, Benson C. Beach, who is manager. His public career has
been confined to municipal affairs ; he was warden of the United Counties of
Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry for the year 1873. He is a Liberal in poli-
tics and a Methodist in religion. He married, on October 18th, 1865, Louise
C. Wickwire, of the township of Augusta, county of Grenville. There is a
family of ten boys, all of whom are living and engaged in professional or
business callings.

WILLIAM Bow, of Winchester, Ont., was born in the city of Aberdeen, Scot-
land, May 18, 1825, and was educated at Gordon School and Aberdeen Univer-
sity. In 1840 he came to Canada, and settled in Winchester township, Dun-
das county, where until 1847 he engaged in land clearing. He then taught
school until 1854, when he started in mercantile business on his own account.
In February, 1855, when a postoffice was opened at (West) Winchester, he was
appointed postmaster, a position which he has since filled with acceptance.
In 1862 he was appointed a Justice of the Peace; in 1866 a commissioner in
Queen's Bench ; was police magistrate for the County of Dundas from May
30, 1887, till 1889; and on November 25th of the latter year was appointed to
his present position of police magistrate. From 1865 to 1903 he was a druggist
and pharmacist at Winchester, and is now a successful dealer infancy goods,
stationery and optical supplies. Mr Bow has always been prominent in the
life of Winchester, and has watched its growth from that of a typically
rural settlement to its proud position as one of the most thriving villages in
eastern Ontario.

ARTHUR BROWN, Inspector of Public Schools for the county of Dundas,



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES 411

was born in South Crosby, county of Leeds, May 13, 1840. The clerical in-
stinct in the family must have been strong, for his great grandfather, William
Brown, a staunch Methodist, was commonly designated "Priest Brown."
William Brown, father of our subject, was a devoted and zealous minister in
the Methodist ranks. Arthur, the eldest son of his parents, attended the
Matilda Grammar School for about two years, when the family removed to
Farrnersville (now Athens). There being no grammar school there at the
time, he attended the common school until he obtained a teacher's certificate,
and began teaching in Mallory town in 1857. He attended the Belleville Semi-
nary in 1858 and 1859. Later he spent some time in the Farmersville Gram-
mar School, first as student and then as teacher, and continued teaching,
mostly in public schools, until January, 1874, when he came to Morrisburg,
and assumed the management of The Morrisburg "Herald," a Liberal news-
paper which was about being started. Notwithstanding his interest in
editorial work he still continued to give a great deal of attention to ed-
ucational matters; and when in 1878 Rev. William Ferguson, on account of
his advanced age, retired from the position of Inspector of Public Schools
for Dundas, Mr Brown was unanimously chosen by the counties council as
his successor. His career since has fully justified the confidence then so
strikingly expressed by the council. He has devoted his whole attention to
the schools of this county for more than a quarter of a century, and is regard-
ed and justly so as one of the best inspectors in the province. Education-
ally, this county is far in advance of any other eastern county, and well
abreast of any county east or west. This is no doubt to a considerable ex-
tent due to the character of the people. Nevertheless, Mr Brown has con-
tributed largely to the results obtained.

ROBERT BALDWIN CARMAN was born at Iroquois, Dundas county, on Oct-
ober 23, 1843, his parents being of U. E. Loyalist stock. He was educated at
Matilda Grammar School and at Belleville Seminary, afterwards Albert Col-
lege, where in 1866 he concluded his course in Arts and received his degree of
B. A. from Albert University in 1867, and that of M. A. in 1868. In 1866 7 he
attended Lawrence Scientific School in connection with Harvard University,
Boston, and upon his return acted as professor of chemistry in Albert Univer-
sity for four years, and then began the study of law, taking his barrister's de-
gree in 1873. He then began practice in Cornwall, and was appointed deputy
judge of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry in 1879 and junior judge in 1883.
He was a member of the volunteer corps at Belleville, and was at Prescott
during the Fenian raid of 1866, acting as sergeant. Judge Carman is a Free-
mason and an Orangeman, and in religion a member of the Church of Eng-
land. He married, on June 1, 1873, Cecilia L. Hulet.



412 THE STORY OP DTJNDAS

HON. GEORGE P. GRAHAM, Provincial Secretary of Ontario, was born at
Eganville, Renfrew county, March 31, 1859. He is a son of the late Rev. W.
H. Graham, a pioneer minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Canada.
Since he was about 12 years of age, Mr Graham has been steadily at work,
the greater part of that time in connection with newspapers. When 21 years
old, he bought The Morrisburg "Herald," which he conducted with consider-
able success. Later he became assistant editor of The Ottawa "Free Press,"
and in 1893 went to Brockville as managing director, treasurer and editor of
The "Evening Recorder, "a publication which he has made one of the brightest
and most influential of provincial newspapers. In public life he has long
been active. Before he reached the age of thirty he was reeve of Morrisburg
and a member of the Counties Council of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry.
In 1891 he contested Dundas for a seat in the Legislature and was defeated
by J. P. Whitney, K. C., but in 1898, and again in 1902, he was elected for
Brockville. From the time of his appearance in the Legislature Mr Graham's
abilities won recognition, and hip debating powers and executive capacity
have proved of valuable assistance. He has always taken an active interest
in amateur sports. He was president of the first hockey club organized in
Morrisburg, which won several championships, and a playing member of the
lacrosse and baseball clubs of that town, and, during his residence in Brock-
ville, has been an enthusiastic officer of various athletic clubs. In religion
he is a Methodist. He is a Past Grand Master of the A. O. U. W.

ADAM HARKNESS: Just ten days before his death, Mr Harkness wrote
Messrs J. S. Carstairs, B. A., and A. C. Casselman, of Toronto, to request
them to prepare his biography for this volume. This work was almost finish-
ed, when all were shocked by his sudden and untimely death.

The Harkness family is one of the best known families of eastern Ontario;
the various branches having sprung from John Harkness, a native of Coun-
ty Tyrone, Ireland, who emigrated to Canada in 1820. Three years later, he
married Catharine, the daughter of Peter Fetterly, a U. E. Loyalist ,pf Pala-
tine German descent, who had served in the King's Royal Regiment of New
York. In 1826, John Harkness settled on a farm in the third concession of
Matilda (the present home of Dr John Harkness), and manifested those
characteristics that have so distinguished succeeding generations of Hark-
nesses. He prospered through thrift and honesty; his public spirit was re-
cognized by his fellow-citizens, who made him their representative in the
District Council of the Eastern District; he became a Justice of the Peace;
and passed away full of years in 1862. His wife died in 1885. Here six sons
and two daughters were born. Two of the sons died in infancy; the other
four are well and widely known in the valley of the St. Lawrence. Robert,



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES 413

the eldest, a man of extensive knowledge and great literary ability, went to
British Columbia when gold was discovered there; and died as editor of The
Picton (Ont.) "Times"; Adam, the subject of this memoir, served the public
in various capacities for fifty years; John is practising medicine from the old
homestead ; and Andrew, residing at Lancaster, a gold medallist of McGill
University in medicine, rendered signal service in 1892 to the county of Glen-
garry by opposing the separation of that county from the trinity of counties
services that were recognized by an address and a costly presentation.
Adam Harkness, the fifth child and third son of his parents, was born on Oct-
ober 10, 1835. Until he was eleven years of age he was instructed at the local
common schools. For the next three years he attended school only during the
winter; but during the intervals of farm labour he prosecuted his studies,
and thus kept well abreast of his brothers, then attending the Matilda
County Grammer School. In 1853 Rev. Egerton Ryerson was making one
of his tours of the province in the interest of free schools and public libraries.
Young Harkness attended the meeting in Matilda, and thus manifested that
deep interest in public and educational affairs that was so eminently charac-
teristic of his whole career. He became a profiting reader of the New Science
which was to create a revolution in the world of thought and religion. The
person who talked with Adam Harkness on the most trivial topic got not
merely the result of his wide human experience but the benefit of a broad,
humanitarian culture. His method of study induced reflection; he kept a
diary, and soon thus was laid the foundation of the easy, lucid and dignified
style that characterized his speeches and writings. For years he contribut-
ed articles to "The Week," at one time the only paper published in Ontario
devoted to literature; thoughtful studies of such topics as "Dearer Labor,"
"Silver and Gold," "Good Roads," appeared from his pen in "The Farmer's
Sun," of Toronto. Not often do even our city papers contain abler editorials
than those in "The Courier," Morrisburg, in 1892, and "The St. Lawrence
News," Iroquois, in 1893, when he for some months was in charge of those
papers, doing the work in his office at Iroquois. He had always hoped for
leisure to devote himself to writing a History of Canada, as he had seen it
develop from isolated colonies into a united nationality. In 1899 he wrote to
one who looked on him as his intellectual father, as the inspirer of all that was
best in him : "My orbit is pretty well fixed. I have failed to realize on many of
my earlier aspirations. The most I can hope for now is leisure to put my im-
pressions of my time and my country in some more permanent form, and it does
not seem very probable that that hope will be realized ; still if my influence on
my younger and more vigorous friends has been salutary, the world will be a lit-
tle better because I have lived." In 1895 he wrote "Iroquois High School (1845-
1895) ; a Story of Fifty Years." This book, notable for beingthe first attempt to



414 THE STORY OF DUHDAS

trace the history of a Canadian high school, received brilliant comment from
the city press. * * * * His services in this connection, so willingly
given as a tribute to friends, never received any recognition. The sur-
plus of $50, after all expenses were paid, helped to provide the magnificent
stereopticon for the High School laboratory a fitting memorial for a devotee
of science and the historian of the school. Not only as a writer but as a public
man does Mr Harkness challenge our attention. In 1858, as secretary of the
Conservative committee of the township, he shared in the stirring events of
that fearful struggle for a seat in the first elective legislative council for the
St. Lawrence Division between George Crawford and Dr. William Brouse.
The following year he was appointed clerk of the township. These were the
beginnings of a long public career, which in deference to his abilities, his
keen political instincts, and his penetrating grasp of public questions, should
have culminated in the parliaments of our country. Happy should be the
land, the laws of which are made by such men as Adam Harkness; but the
" bars of circumstance " confined him to a narrower arena, in which he was
not less useful, if less known of the world. After serving as clerk forthirteen
years, he resigned and in 1872 was elected deputy-reeve of Matilda. In 1875
he was elected reeve, and in 1876 became warden of the United Counties of
Stormont, Dund as and Glengarry. In 1879 on the resignation of Robert Toye



Online LibraryJ. Smyth CarterThe story of Dundas, being a history of the County of Dundas from 1784 to 1904 → online text (page 34 of 40)