J. Smyth Carter.

The story of Dundas, being a history of the County of Dundas from 1784 to 1904 online

. (page 36 of 40)
Online LibraryJ. Smyth CarterThe story of Dundas, being a history of the County of Dundas from 1784 to 1904 → online text (page 36 of 40)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Merkley.

PETER DEWAR, an early Winchester settler, had the folio wing children: James, Peter, John,
Robert, Alexander, Margaret, Catherine, Jennett.

JOHN DILLABOUGH, an early resident of Williamsburg, was of Dutch descent. His children
were Levi, Simon, George, Samuel, Gordon, Mary, Charlotte, Cornelia.

PETER DOYLE was the original settler of the Doyle families in Matilda. His children were-
Sylvester, James, Peter, Michael, Bridget (Mrs Charles Knight).

CHARLES DURANT was born in Williamsburg township in 1835, but during the greater por
tion of his life has been a resident of Mountain township, serving as municipal clerk there
for fourteen years, and also representing that division in the counties council during 19U3-4.
For nearly 40 years he conducted a general store at Inkerman, where he still resides, having
retired from business a few years ago. Reference to Mr Durant was inadvertently omitted
from the chapter on Municipal Government.

RUFUS, HIRAM and SIMEON EARL came from Augusta to Winchester township about 1852.

FRANCIS ELLIOT and wife came from Scotland, and settled in Winchester township.

JOHN P. EMPEY, born of German parentage, came to Matilda about 1824, and settled on lot
4, concession 4. His wife was Mary Marselis, their family consisting of eleven children.

ISAAC ERRATT was one of the pioneers of the Melvin settlement, Winchester township. His



BIOGRAPHICAL NOTICES OF EARLY SETTLERS 425

wife was Catherine Hughes.

The FADSR families of Matilda and vicinity can be traced to one Lucas "Vetter," whose
death occurred in the year 1183, near Derdingen, Germany. The original name Vetter (mean-
ing cousin) has suffered the following changes: Feeter, Feder, Feader, Fader. The first mem-
bers of tne " Vetter " family, who em'grated to the province of New York, secured land to the
north of Scone Arabia; and the old Lutheran Church records there bear the family name.
Lucas Vetter, a friend of Sir William Johnson, removed to Montreal in 1780. His son Lucas
had grown up at Johnson Hall, a favorit? of the old baronet and a playmate of the younger
members of Sir Williaui's household. At the beginning of hostilities, he enlisted in the John-
son Greens, fought on the side of the British, and at the close of the war came to Canada, and
settled in Matilda township. Upon the night of his landing here, he rolled himself up in a
blanket >md went to sleep amid the bowlings of wolves in the surrounding forest. The Hanes-
ville branch of this family are descended from John Fader, born 1779, who married Elizabeth
Shave:- ; their children being Simon.Lucas, Margaret (Mrs Benjamin McFadden), Nelson, Mary
(M:s Solomon Manroe), George, Philip, Elizabeth (Mrs John Black), William R. and John J.

WILLIAM FAITH with the other members of his father's family landed at the old Matilda (Iro-
quuis) wharf one beautiful June morning just fifty-four years ago. Since then be has continu-
ously been a resident o' the county, and thus the recital of pioneer life is to him a practical is
me For y-six ye.irsago, Mr Faith removed to Winchester township, where he became a
pr jminerit farmer. He is now a resident of Winchester village ; interested in the public ques-
tions of the day, and has twice been elected to the reeve's chair by acclamation. He also serv-
ed two years as a member of the counties council. In religion he is a Methodist, having been
a class leader for 42 years ; and in politics a Conservative.

CAPTVIN ALEXANDER FARLINGER was born in Dundee, County Huntingdon, Quebec, on June

I, 1824. His grandfather was Nicholas Farline'er, a U. E. Loyalist who settled near Cornwall,
and his father, James Farlinger, who in early life settled in Dundee. After obtaining an edu-
cation, Captain Farlinger was engaeed in the forwarding business at Montreal and atPrescott,
and in 1354 moved to Morrisburg, where he lived the remainder of his life, a prosperous busi-
ness man \,nd a citizen of influence. His wife, whom he married on Jnno 1, 1854, is the daugh-
ter of the late Captain William Kyle. When Morrisburg was at the zenith of its prosperity.
Captain Farlinger played a leading part, purchasing produce, etc. ; and it was chiefly through
his efforts that the Molsons Bank opened a branch there in the handsome Farlinger Block,
still use'1 for that purpose. In politics our subject was a staunch Conservative; and, although
frequently urged to stand for parliamentary honors, he always declined, as his large real-
estate and business interests left him but little time to devote to public life.

JOHN FLAGG came f o Matilda about the year 1818, and purchased some land eastof what was
subsequently known as Flagg's creek, where he conducted a wheel-wright shop. He after
wards turned his attention to store-keeping, using a part of his shop for that purpose; but
later built a new store. He was shrewd in business, and thus worthily accumulated consider-
able property. Mr Flagg was the son of Joseph and Mary Flagg, and was born at Bethlehem,
Albany county, N. Y., in March, 1799. He died in May, 1884.

ANDREW FLETT, who married Rachel Clough, settled in Matilda.

EDWARD FOSTER drew considerable land in Canada for himself and family. His son John
came early to Matilda: his children being Edward, Elizabeth, Peter, Margaret, Mary, Nancy,
John, George, William, James, Moses.

C. J. Fox came to Winchester from Clarence township in 1836. He settled on lotl, Conces-
sion 6, where he died in 18SG.

ALFRED FORWARD was born in Sussex county, England, in 1826. He came to Canada with
his father in 1843, and later to Williamsburg township, where he died in March, 1902.

jAMissanl WILLIVM FRASKR, natives of Scotland, located about 1810 on lot 21, concession

II, Winchester.

James W. and JOSHUA FRITH, pioneer Winchester residents, were of English descent.

FROATS, a resident of Schoharie, was one of the earliest settlers along the St. Law-



426 THE STORY OF DUWDAS

rence, near the western boundary of Williamsburg. His children included John, Jacob,
Francis, George, Henry, Philip, David, Peter, Catherine, Betsey, and Mrs Henry Ouderkirk.

NICHOLAS and PHILIP FRYMIBE both served in the King's Royal Regiment of New York,
and after receiving their discharge came to Williamsburg township. Dundas county. Nicho-
las married Elizabeth Bourst, their family consisting of Conrad, Philip, Peter, Mary, Cath-
arine, Nancy, Betsey.

THOMAS FULTON, born in Tyrone county, Ireland, in 1799, came to Canada in 1840, and set-
tled on lot 5, concession 5. Winchester (Maple Ridge). He married a daughter of Alexander
Rose of Williamsburg. Their son R. D. Fulton now occupies the old homestead.

PATRICK GANNON emigrated from the county of Mayo, Ireland, when 19 years of age and
landed at Mariatown. After a number of years residence in Matilda he moved to Mountain.

PETER and JACOB GARLOUGH emigrated from the United States to Canada. The sons of the
former were Abram and George, while the children of the latter were Simon, John, Henry,
Peter, Mrs John Casselman, and Mrs Adam Weegar.

JOHN GIBBONS, a native of Limerick county, Ireland, came to Canada about 1826. He first
tried his fortunes in the vicinity of Peterboro, but afterwards came to Matilda, settling in
the 5th concession.

WILLIAM and JOHN GILMER were early settlers in the rear of Matilda. The latter's son John,
who still survives, has seventy-eight grandchildren and forty-nine great grandchildren, and
although somewhat aged can tell many good stories of life in the "Valley" in early days.

JOHN GILSON came from England in 1832. His first work in Canada was for a Mr Adams, of
Edwardsburg. Later he settled in Matilda.

JOHN GLASGOW, a native of Ireland, settled in Winchester township.

JOHN GRAHAM was born in Dumfrieshire, Scotland, in 1812, coming to Canada in 1840. Some
years later, he and his family settled in Matilda. He was one of the founders of the Presby-
teiian Church at Dixon's Corners.

JAMES GRANT, who settled on lot 1, concession 4, Mountain, was one of the earliest settlers
in that part of the township. He was of U.E. Loyalist descent, his father being Peter Grant, a
native of Inverness, Scotland.

ROBERT GRAY, one of the first settlers of Winchester township, bought 200 acres of land along
the Nation River for one dollar per acre. His wife was Sarah, daughter of John and Margaret
Welsh, who lived south of Boyd's Bridge. When Mr Gray and family came to Winchester
township they were completely isolated. Finally a man named Grandy settled in the vicinity,
and later the Baker brothers arrived. Mr Gray was captain and later major of a militia com-
pany and was present at the Battle of the Windmill; his sword being still in possession of his
son David. The hardships endured by Robert Gray and family were extreme. One incident
might be related. When coming to Winchester they brought nine small pigs, and in .tL
following autumn only one remained for the winter's stock of pork, the other eight having
been devoured by wolves and bears. John Gray, a son of our subject, was the first white
child born in Winchester township.

JOSEPH HAMILTON was born in the north of Ireland in 1814, and when a mere lad emigrated
with his parents to Canada. During the thirties he came to Dundas and settled on lot 19, con-
cession 6, Winchester township. He married Jane Cramer. Mrs Hamilton was one of the
early organizers of Methodism in that part of Winchester.

JOHN HAMILTON emigrated from Ireland in 1836. He remained a year in the vicinity of the
Long Sault before coming toMatilda, where he settled on the rear of lot 7, concession 3.

JOHN HARDY, a typical English soldier, whose remains lie in the North Williamsburg ceme-
tery, fought under Wolfe at the battle of the Plains of Abraham.

HENRY (HARRY) HARE was the son of a U E. Loyalist. His parents came to Canada at the
close of the war, and settled not far from Cornwall, where in 1793 our subject wa* born. Sub-
sequently they removed to the state of New York. When Henry grew to manhood, he re-
turned to Canada, and settled on a farm in concession 2, Matilda, which property is still the



BIOGRAPHICAL NOTICES OF EARLY SETTLERS 427

family home, bavin? descended first to his son John, born 1821, died 1899.

MICHAEL HART emigrated from Ireland, and settled on lot 17, concession 3, Williamsburg,
about the year 1860.

JAMES HAGGERTY. born IB county Derry, Ireland, March 9, 1812, settled on lot 8, concession 7,
Matil a, about 1830. His wife was Sarah Jane Quinn, also of Ireland. John Haggerty, a
brother of James, subsequently came to Canada.

WILLIAM HEPBURN came from Scotland, and settled in concession 10, Winchester.

NICHOLAS HERRIMAN, bom in Vermont, resided early in Williamsburg. His tamily consist-
ed of nine children.

IAOOB lass i migrated from County Wexford, Ireland, and settled in the county of Argen-
teuil, P. Q., where he remained about twenty- five years. In 1857 he came to Matilda, and set-
tled on lot 34, concession 8. He died in January, 1S75.

JOHN HICKEY. an early resident along the St. Lawrence, in Williamsburg, was a veteran of
the war of 1812-14; assisted in the capture of Ogdensburg, and was present at the Windmill
action in 1838. He was the son 01 a U. E. L., and at the time of his death held the rank of major
in a militia company. Mr Hickey was one of the early Methodists in the vicinity of his home,
where through the efforts of Ezra Healey a class had been formed. This pioneer field of
Meth >dism was long known as the "Hickey appointment."

HENRY HOGABOAM, JOSEPH LIBERTY, JOSEPH and WILLIAM MAHUE, were among the early
settlers in the front concessions of Winchester township.

JAMES HOCLEHAN settled in Matilda. His sons were Thomas, Martin. Michael, and John.
Thomas Houleuan, a brother of James, located in Winchester.

FRANCIS HPTT came from Lower Canada, lived at Mariatown, Williamsburg township, for
a time, and then came to Winchester township and settled in the Maple Ridge vicinity.

CHARLES JOHNSTON, an early s-ettler, married Hannah Feegle. Their children were William,
Hannah, Mary, John, James, Jane, Elizabeth (Mrs Charles Skinner).

DAVID JAC ;so.v emigrated from Ireland in 1815. He came to Matilda, where he remained a
brief time before settling on lot 7, concession 3, Winchester.

WILLIAM JOHNSTON, a native of County Fermanagh, Ireland, settled on lot 25, concession
4, Matilda. He was a missionary of the English Church, and often went on horseback through
the woods to preach in the Finch and Crysler vicinities. He taught school both before and
after coming to Canada. Mr Johnston possessed high intellectual ability, was a deep
thinker, took an interest in anything which promoted public good, devoted some time to liter-
ary pursuits (some products of his pen being yet extant), and for a number of years was
superintendent of education for the township of Matilda.

THOMAS JOHNSTON emigrated from Ireland, and settled on lot 33, concession 6, Matilda. His
wife was Hannah Murdock.

SIMON JOHNSTON was well and widely known, not only to the old generations who had
known him in his youth, but to many of succeeding generations who had learned to respect
and venerate him. He was born near Dublin, Ireland, in 1805. He married Mary Kitson, and
in 1837 came to Canada with his wife and four children, and settled at Vancamp's, Mountain,
township. The country was then forest- covered, and in that vicinity Mr Johnston was not
only an early settler but as well one of the first to sow the seeds of Methodism ; and for some
time a sabbath-school was held beneath his roof . As the settlement of Mountain increased,
he became connected with public affair*, being at different intervals assessor, collector,
councillor, deputy-reeve, and in 1861 was census commissioner for the county. His pioneer
experiences were of deepest interest; and, even amid the hardships incident to such a life, the
education of his children was his chief aim; and thus night and morning be was schoolmaster
at his own home. So great was his determination in that regard that often, while logging in
the fallow, he taught his boys with the aid of a chip and a piece of coal, with which rude
equipment they would work out a few sums when they sat down to rest. At home, during
the day, the older children often taught the younger ones the rudiments of the three R's.



428 THE STORY OF DUNDAS

More than once our subject walked to Kemptville, carrying a bushel of wheat, and returned
in the same manner with the flour he received in exchange. The typical Irish emigrant, so
well described by Mr Croil, is none other than Mr Johnston. He was a life-long Conservative;
was treasurer of Vancamp Public School from the timeof organization until one year previous
to his death, and treasurer of \ ancainp Methodist Church for some time. In 1853 he suffered
the loss of his wife, and was left with a family of nine children. Ten years later he married
Mrs (Dr ) Brigham, a daughter of William Munro. In 1882 he was again bereft of his helpmate,
and was left with only a grandchild, twelve years of age, to care for him ; but in 1892 she be-
came Mrs S. D. Thorpe, of Matilda, Mr Johnston living with them the remainder of his life.
He died in June. 1898, at the age of ninety-three.

WILLIAM JONES, one of the oldest surviving pioneers of Mountain township, was born in
County Fermanagh, Ireland ; and when five years of age emigrated with his parents to Can-
ada. After remaining at Prescott for some time, the family removed to the township of
Goulbourne, Carleton county. When William grew to manhood he came into Mountain, by
way of Kemptville, and purchased lot 23, concession 6, from James S. Johnston, paying for it
in labor. This lot had at one time been owned by Captain Peter Drummond, father-in-law of
Mr Johnston. The first building erected by Mr Jones on his farm was a log shanty 16 feet x 14
feet, with elm-bark roof, split basswood floor, one window, one door, and a stick chimney
plastered with a mixture of clay and cut straw. At first the nearest store was at Kemptville,
but soon Sidney Archibald opened a store at Archibald's Corners (Heckston). Mrs Jones was
Rebecca Smith, of Wolford ; and both she and her husband, although aged, have a vivid re-
collection of pioneer days.

PATRICK JORDAN, for years a resident of Connaught, Winchester township, was a venerable
Irishman, well worthy of mention. Throughout Dundas he was familiarly known as teacher,
cooiinis&ioner of High Court of Justice, and pension agent. Our subject was born in Kil'ala,
County Mayo, Ireland. He was educated at Queen's College, Dublin, having excelled in his
studies at the early age of eighteen. In 1848, the year of the immigrant fever, he came to Can-
ada. During the voyage, many passengers being stricken with fever, not a few succumbed.
Mr Jordan was among those to contract the disease, and for weeks his life hung in tha balance.
His clothing and money were taken from him, and he was garbed in a suit of coarse linen.
Landing upon the shores of Canada, a stranger in a strange land, he went to a beautiful home
to seek employment. He was given a spade, and directed to a garden, where he gladly set to
work to earn warm clothing. While thus employed, he was given his meals in an old kitchen
and a bed in a rough attic; but ha neither murmured or complained, for the sight ot beautiful
girls and children dying by starvation in Ireland was yet vivid to his mind. One evening,
two young ladies of his employer's family, who were going up for examination, were greatly
puzzled over some difficult problems ; and, seeing their dismay, the "green-horn," as he was
termed, offered his assistance, but wns derided; in fact his exhibition of "nerve" created quite
a laugh. However, a trial soon convinced them of his C'everness, and the young man was
kept as private tutor; and thereafter nothing was too good for him. He remained there one
year, during which time the young ladies graduated with brilliant success. He then betook
himself to his studies, soon obtained a first class certificate, taught foratime, was made school
inspector of Grenville county; but after a few years retired from that office, and resumed
teaching. After serving in all thirty-eight years in that capacity, he was superannuated. Mr
Jordan was a man of broad charity and true sympathy, a consistent Catholic, and in politics
a staunch Liberal. As Notary and J. P., no man could have better filled the position, and as
an orator he was famed, his wit and humor delighting many public gatherings. Often his
tongue and pen spoke highly both of royalty and loyalty. His writings were recognized by
the then Prince of Wales, now our great King Edward VII; and this letter is kept as an heir-
loom in the Jordan family. He died as he lived, on October 27, 1897, being survived by a wife
and eleven children. May we use the words of a great writer, "Gone, but thy name shall live on.'

ISAAC KECK came from Schoharie, and settled in concession 2, Matilda, while his brother'
Martin settled in concession 6.

GEORGE KENNEDY, of Matilda, emigrated from the vicinity of Belfast, Ireland, about 1850.




g 8.3 <* 3 g.



"S-S-Soa






in

tf x^'

H 8?'

E- 1 "2.

t_i .* CD

~ Cv , ,

H .S

m fe .

K^ C .

J ~x>!

tf 3 g

H fc ^'



g^ag-^l



f%6|^| U |-"K

>i^H di CC HH r- . ^ t- H-i



BIOGRAPHICAL NOTICES OF EARLY SETTLERS 431

ALKXANDER KENNEDY came from Perthshire, Scotland, about 1816, and settled in Indian
Lands, Glengarry county. In 1841 he with his family moved to Osgoode. In 1856 his son John
moved to Mountain, and settled on lot 21, concession 12. One of his neighbors was Barnabas
McCargar.

ROBERT KERB emigrated from County Antrim in 1832, and settled near Cornwall. After
remaining there six years, he came to M mntain, settled on lot 12, concession 9, in the vicinity
since known as Kerr's Ridge. His family were : Elizabeth (Mrs Agnew), John (who married
Eleanor Knox), Robert, Henry, Agnes, Margaret, Jane. Other early settlers on Kerr's Ridge
were : John and Brien McGahey, Augustine Dillabough, William Hoy, John Close, W.'lliam
Blain, William McLister, James Stewart. Shanties were of course constructed by each of
the early settlers, but the first log-house on KBIT'S Hidge was built by John Kerr, who also
owned the first stove in the neighborhood. This stove, a great attraction, was brought from
Cornwall to Prescott by boat, and from Prescottto Kerr's Ridge over a rude forest trail. The
first school at Kerr's Ridge was taught about 60 years ago, in a log shanty which had been
vacated by some discontented settler. An early teacher there was Mrs Foxton, from County
Wexford, Ireland.

JOHN KEYS came from Ireland, and landed on the front of Matilda June 9, 1830. He soon
chose a location in the 8th concession of that township, on what was long known as the Mor-
rison ridge along the present gravel road. His family came to Canada five years later.

JAMES KYLE was one of the very early settlers in the vicinity of North Winchester. His
children were Robert, Joseph S., William, John, Agnes (Mrs Smirl), Elizabeth (Mrs James
Fraser), Jane (Mrs Jacob Empey), Hessie. The coming of this family to the township was in
1839, when tlie father and two of the sons came through the woods a tedious march from Crys-
ler to North Winchester. Upon their arrival there they erected a shanty in the woods prepar-
atory to bringing the other members of the family.

SAMUEL KYLE, a native of County Dem , Ireland, and a brother of William Kyle, Morris-
burg's pioneer merchant, with whom he came to Canada in 1820, settled in the Gth concession
of Williamsburg (Colquhoun).

WILLIAM LANE, who resided in Williamsburg, was of English descent. His father settled
early near Dun bar,

ROBERT LARMOUR emigrated from Ireland, and settled in concession 3, township of Matilda,
in 1830. He served in the militia at the Battle of the Windmill. Two nephews (Mathewand
James) emigrated later to Dundas.

JOHN, HENRY and MICHAEL LOUGHLIN emigrated from County Derry, Ireland, in 1827.
They came to Mountain township, and for a couple of years worked for Peter Smith, an old
Scotch farmer. Finally they settled on lots 4 and 5, concession 10, Mountain, three miles
from the nearest sett 1 ement, to which they had been piloted by Mr Smith. Mrs Smith (Electa)
was also very ki d to them, and furnished them a bag of bread when starting for their new
home. There the brothers set to work, built a shanty, and during the first winter cut twelve
acres of timber, logged it in the spring, and after a "good burn" planted it in corn. The fol-
lowing autumn the corn was removed, and the field sown to fall wheat, which yielded 40
bushels er acre. About that time two sisters of the family, with their husbands, emigrated
to vtoiritain, *nd settled on adjoining lots; and soon others from the Emerald Isle followed.
Thj nvnes McCloskey, Bradley, Cassidy, Brown, Hyndman, Hoy, and others, are well asso.
cinted with the early settlement of North Mountain and adjacent vicinities.

VILLIAM, SAMCEL and JOHN LAVIS emigrated to Canada from the vicinity of Queenstown,
Ireland. Each settled in he third concession of Matilda.

JAMKS LOCKE was an early settler in central Matilda. His children were James, John,
4te;)hen. Joseph, Sarah ( Mrs Isaa ; Keeler), Hannah (Mrs Frederick Bouck), Rachel (Mrs Wil-
liam Sjule.-), Abby (Mrs Skinner).

JOHN V. LOUCKS was born In the township of Williamshurg, county of Dundas, May 15th.
1790. He was third in descent from liichard Loucks, who came from Saxony in the year 1707,



432 THE STORY OF DTJXDAS

settlin? in the town of Manhattan, state of New York, and whose sons Richard, Joseph and
Peter espoused the royal cause at the commencement of the American revolution. Joseph
and Peter succeeded in reaching Montreal through the woods, after experiencing many pri-
vations ; from there they joined the regiment commanded by Sir John Johnson, which was
called the Royal Regiment of New York, and fought under the old flag throughout the war.
Richard, the grandfather of our subject, however, was captured by the Revolutionists, and,
upon refusing to join them, was twice fined 20, one of the receipts for which still remains in
the possession of the family and reads as follows : "Stonrabey, July 28th, 1779. Received from
Richard Loux the fines which was layt aban him the sum of twenty pounts. (Signed) John
Deygert." Remaining true to the British colors, he was held prisoner-of-war at Stonrabey,
until the end of the hostilities. Previous to the war, Richard and his son William, the father
of John W. Loucks, teept a store and owned considerable property in the old Johnson settle-
ment, on the Mohawk river, not far from Albany. They were friends of and on intimate



Online LibraryJ. Smyth CarterThe story of Dundas, being a history of the County of Dundas from 1784 to 1904 → online text (page 36 of 40)