terms with Sir John and Sir William Johnson. When peace was proclaimed in 1783, they
came to Canada, and settled in the township of Osnabruck, county of Stormont ; William
afterwards purchasing land and removing to the township of Williamsburg, Dundas county,
where he died in 1863, at the age of 95 years. There our subject, John W. Loucks, was born in
May, 1796, and reared a farmer with very few opportunities of acquiring an education. At
sixteen, when the second war with the United States broke out, in 1812, he enlisted in the Pro-
vincial Light Dragoons, serving under Captain Richard D. Fraser (afterwards Lieutenant-
Colonel) ; was present at the Battle of Crysler's Farm, and saw the first shot fired. With four
other troopers he was on picket duty at the ravine at Bushes Hill, about 400 yards from the
river, when he saw one of the Canadian Indians, of whom there were about forty stationed
near the woods, raise his musket and fire on the advancing Americans. This opened the bat-
tle. Mr Loucks was rewarded by tac Crown with a silver medal for meritorious conduct. He
also took part against the rebellion of 1837-'38, and was in the Battle of the Windmil I, at Pres-
cott, November 1838, being ensign in Captain John P. Crysler's company. Later he held a
captain's commission in the First Regiment Dundas Militia. Among the official list of names
of veterans of the War of 1812 who received an annual pension voted by parliament during the
session of 1888 was that of Mr Loucks. From 1846 until 1883 he held the office of clerk of the
fifth division court in the united counties of Dundas, Stormont and Glengarry, and was also a
justice of the peace. For more than forty years he was a warden of the Church of England.
On July 27, 1817, Mr Loucks married Atla, daughter of Dr. John Mosely, of Williamsburg ; and
they had six children four sons and two daughters. The eldest son, John William, represent-
ed the county of Russell at one time in the Dominion Parliament, and was major and pay-
master of the squadron of lancers raised by Judge Jarviti during the rebellion. He lived at
Russell, where he owned a flour and a saw mill. Guy, the second son, who lived wiih his
father, held a lieutenant's commission in Captain T. F. Rubridge.'s company of artillery, form-
ed at the time of the Trent affair. Allan, who is now over 70, resides at the old home, having
retired from active life. Mr. Loucks was always true to the principles of his forefathers, being
an ardent Loyalist and a firm British subject. He was a Conservative in politics and a warm
supporter of the late Sir John A. Macdonald, recording his last vote for the old "chii ftain" in
1891 at the age of 95 years; and pointed with pride to the fact of there being one majority at
that poll, which vote he claimed as his. We copy the following from "The Canadian Bio-
graphical Dictionary of Eminent and Self-made Men" (Ontario Volume), published in J880,
when Mr. Loucks was 83 years of age, and to which we are indebted for much of above sketch:
"He is a wonderfully well-preserved man clear-headed and strong, elastic in bcdy for a man
of that number of years, and has always borne a most excellent character. Mr Loucks has a
good memory, and his recollections of early times in Canada are full and instructive. He is
very communicative, a pleasant talker, and as cordial as a politician when before the people
soliciting votes." He was in his 97th year, and the oldest man in the county, when he quietly
passed away November 28th, 1892, leaving behind him a legacy of manhood, loyalty and pa-
BIOGRAPHICAL NOTICES OF EARLY SETTLERS 433
FREDERICK LOUNT settled on lot 8, concession 2, Williamsburg. His children were George
F., Catherine, Diana.
ROBERT LOWER Y was born in the county of Antrim, Ireland, in the year 1820, and with his
parents emigrated to America. Being strangers in a strange land, they experienced many
hardships and inconveniences, and anally settled on a small farm in Matilda. Young Robert
soon took the lead in clearing the land. Possessed of broad ambition, he launched into com-
mercial and political life, and in each attained a fair measure of success. He was clear-head-
ed in his calculations and shrewd in the -xecution of his plans. He died in April 186J.
ALEXANDER MACDONELL, a U. E. Loyalist, whose wife was Jennett Munro, resided near
New York City when the revolutionary war oroke out. He settled in Matilda.
MOSES MACPHERSON, a native of Scotland, married Ann McMartin on June 22, 1819. Early
in the 2J's they came to Canada, and settled in Williatnsburg township. Their children were :
Alexander, born 1820, and Hugh, born 1823.
THOMAS, GEORGE and JOHN MARCELLUS, three brothers, were the original members of that
name to settle in Dundas, Thomas being the oldest. Their descendants are now numerous
throughout the county.
THOMAS MARSHALL came from Ireland in 1836, and settled in Mountain township.
I'ETER MCINTOSH experienced the toils of bush life in Williamsburg township. His child-
ren included Joseph, William, Conrad, Christina, James, Isaac, Eliza, Hannah.
JOHN MC''ONNELL, a native of Ireland, came to Winchester in 1850 and set tied on lot 23, con-
cession 10. His sons w re Thomas, Charles, Alexander, William, James, Robert.
HCGH McCARGAR ^vas born of Irish descent in the township of South Gower about 1812, and
when a young man moved to Mountain, where he resided until his death, about thirty years
ago. He was highly respected; and for many years was a justice of the peace.
JOHN MclNTOSH, born August 15, 1777, married Hannah Doran; their children being Lewis,
David, dally, Allen (a veteran of 1838), Mnrgaret, Sophia, Fanny, John, Charlotte, and Alex-
ander. Our subject was a farmer, living with his father in the valley of the Mohawk river.
In 1801 he came to Canada, bought a farm along the St. Lawrence, a short distance west of the
present Mati da ^ra /el road. He later exchanged with Edmund Doran for the west half of
lot 9. concession 5, Matilda, wl.ere he built ashanty and mo' edhis family. At that time the
road to the front was a circuitous track marked through the woods along the ridges. The
first gospel ordinances in the vicinity were conducted by the venerable Mr Sawyer, in the
house of Mr Mclntosh, who also gave a portion of his house for a school-room during one
winter before the erection of the historic log school-house there.
JAMES McGtriRE, who after coming to Canada did garrison duty at Quebec, and later served
as a f irm laborer in ohe vicinity of North Williamsburg, possessed military distinction, being
one of the noble six hundred to execute that fatal "Charge of the Light Brigade." From the
home government he received a pension. His remains occupy anuamarked tomb in the ceme-
tery at North Williamsburg.
NEIL MclNTYRE came from Argyleshire, Scotland, in 1817. After remaining three years
near Mirtintown, G engirry county, he removed to Mountain township, and settled on lot 4,
concessions, lid family were: Jame-i, John, Matcolm, Donald, Margaret (Mrs McDiarmid),
Jane (Mrs McGregor), Isabel (Mrs Keenan). His son John of ten related of walking to Pres-
cott to attend divine service. On one occasion Rev. Dr. Boyd preached at South Gower ; and,
a tug of his harness being broken, Mr Mclntyre gave him his ox- gad, which was made fast to
the harness, to take the place of the broken tug ; and thus the reverend doctor was enabled to
return to Prescott.
DANIEL, MICHAEL and DENNIS MCMAHON, also JAMES, JOHN and WILLIAM O'BRIEN, were
early settlers in Winchester township.
DANIEL MCMILLAN emigrated from Ireland to Williamsburg township, Dundas county,
previous to IrfdO, and settled on lot 19, concession 7, where he made the first clearing. His
434 THE STORY OP DUNDAS
brother David came out in 1837, and settled nn lot 13, concession 8, of that township.
ARCHIBALD McPn AIL, born in. Perthshire, Scotland, in 1802, came with his wife to Canada
in 1828, and settled near Carleton Place. In 1850 they came to Mountain, and located on lot 15,
concession 12, which they purchased from Thomas Campbell, who also owned 700 acres in Os-
goode township. MrMcPhail's family consisted of two sons and two daughters. The sons
were John and D. P., the latter now residing on the old homestead lot. When they came to
Mountain the most primitive conditions prevailed. The road between Mountain and Osgoode
was yet unopened, and was even covered with heavy standing timber. To the west, their
nearest neighbor was Hezekiah Clark, while to the east no settlement was effected for a con.
JAMES MCSHANE, a native of County Derry, Ireland, came to Canada in 1851, and during his
first summer here he "wrought" on the macadamized road then being constructed between
Spencerville and Prescott. The following year he settled on the rear of lot 32, concession 6,
CHRISTOPHER MERCKLE (Merkley) was born in Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, Germany, in 1695. His
eon, Henry Merkley, was born on the Atlantic Ocean, in 1730. Henry was afterwards a U. E.
Loyalist, and in the flight ot himself and family to Canada his son Jacob was born at Garden
Island, opposite Kingston, in 1773. Jacob's children were Jacob J, Michael, Christopher, Henry,
Adam, Mary, Betsey (Mrs Marselis), Eva. One of these children (Jacob J.) married Elizabeth
Casselman, and settled west of North Williamsburg. Near his farm was a settlement of
Caughnawaga Indians ; and Jsoon the place was designated "Caughnawaga," while Mr Merk-
ley, being perhaps the most prominent and influential man in the district, became commonly
known as "Caughnawaga Jake."
DAVID and ALLEN MELVTN were perhaps the earliest settlers in the vicinity now known as
the Melvin settlement, Winchester township.
COL. GEORGE MERKLEY, born June 20th, 1788, died April 21, 1866, was one of the first white
children born in the county. In the war of 1812 he faithfully served as captain of a volunteer
company, and in 1837-8, as colonel of the Second Dundas Militia. He was among the first com-
missioners appointed by the Crown to try civil cases. About 1885 he built the stage-house at
Stata's Bay, and after a while sold it to the stage proprietors. At tlje time of his death, Mr
Merkley was the oldest native in the county.
HEN BY G. MERKLEY, born July 7, 1812, was a son of the late George Merkley and grandson
of Major Merkley, a U. E. L. who settled early on the land in Morrisburg upon which the
homestead still stands. Henry G. was a lieutenant during the rebellion of 1837-8, and when
the Dundas militia was called out upon active service he was appointed quartermaster of the
regiment. In education he always took an active interest, and for nearly a quarter of a cen-
tury served as a member of the Morrisburg Board of Education. A strong Conservative in
politics, he was the candidate of that party for the Commons in 1874, but was defeated by the
late William Gibson. In early life he learned the hatter's trade, which he followed for some
years; and in 1840 opened a general store. In 1841 he married Clara Flagg, daughter of
the late John Flagg, of Matilda. For many years he owned and managed a general lumber
and milling business at Inkerman, and afterwards built the factory at Morrisburg at present
owned by his son, A. H. Merkley.
JAMES MULLIN, born in County Armagh, Ireland, in 1822, settled in Matilda. He married
Nancy Cooper. He was a plain, outspoken son of Erin; was employed during the construction
of the Williamsburg canals, and could thus relate much of interest relative to life in the
vicinity of Flagg's Bay.
GEORGE MULLOY, a native of Castlebar, County Mayo, Ireland, emigrated to Mountain
township, Dundas county, and settled on lot 21, concession 7. In public life he played an active
part; was reeve of Mountain for 12 years, and was also a prominent advocate of L. O. L.
principles. His family consisted of fifteen children. Mr Mulloy died in March, 1888.
WILLIAM MUNRO, son of John Munro, was born in Matilda in 1804. In 1833, he came to Win
Chester, oneof thepioneer settlers inthetownship, and hewed out a home on lot 16, concession 3.
BIOGRAPHICAL NOTICES OF EARLY SETTLERS 437
ALEXANDER MUNRO and wife came from Inverary, Argyleshire, and settled on lot 14, con-
cession 4, Matilda. Their children were William, John, Jennie, Catherine (Mrs John Rose),
Isabella, Mary Ann.
JOSEPH MILLER'S family were Alexander, Joseph, James, William, Robert, Ellen (Mrs
JOHN MIDDAGH, a U. E. Loyalist, settled in the front of Matilda. His family consisted of
three sons and three daughters. His son John settled in Mountain township, while Henry
settled on lotl, concession 2, Winchester.
EDWARD MORROW, born In County Sligo, Ireland, in 1825, came to Canada at the age of eigh-
teen. He was accompanied by one sister and several brothers. They settled near the site of
South Mountain village.
THOMAS MOFFAT was a native of Moffat, Dumfrieshire, Scotland, and with his wife and one
child emigrated lo Canada in 1S42. After remaining in Montreal for a few months, he came
to Morrisburg, where he worked a farm for the late Jesse W. Rose. In 1850 he removed to
Winchester township, and was one of the early settlers in the Morewood vicinity. In politics
he was a Liberal and in religion a Presbyterian, being for many years an elder in the church.
BARNEY NETTLETON was an early settler at what is now SufFel's Station, along the C. P. R.,
in Mountain township.
ADAH N UDELL, of German descent, settled on the rear of lots 5 and 6, concession 1, Wil-
liamsburg. Bis children were Adam, Thomas, Nancy (Mrs Abram Cook), Dolly, Betsey.
MICHAEL O'SHAUGHNESSY emigrated from Ireland, and settled in the township of Williams-
JAMES BARKER, a native of Ireland, settled on Maple Ridge, Winchester township.
JAMES PAGE was born in Sussex county, England, in April 1767, and died in May 1890, his age
being thus one hundred and twenty-three years. At the age of 14 he ran away to sea, and was
under fire at the destruction of the Danish fleet at Copenhagen, and also fought under Nelson
off Trafalgar in 1805. For many years our subject lived near Bouck's Hill, his place of resi-
dence being yet well k nown as "Page's Corner." In 1838 he walked to Prescott, and served his
country until the close of hostilities. It was claimed that before his death he was the oldest
survivor of Nelson's followers in the world, an honor which Dundas. can worthily attribute to
one of her citizens. Being of humble circumstances, no gorgeous panoply of riches and honor
enveloped the bier of poor "Jamie," no martial cloak surrounded him. This memoir has been
gleaned from an article from the pen of the late Patrick Jordan, of Cannaught. which con-
The deeds of our heroes and valor done
Are recorded on every page.
Think of Nelson's battle fought and won,
And remember brave old Jamie Page.
ROBKRT PATRICK emigrated from Ireland, and settled in the rear of Matilda.
WILLIAM PATTERSON was born in Scotland, and came to Canada about 1820. When coming
to this country, he remained in Matilda fora time before settling on lot 1, concession 3, Win-
chester, which he purchased from Dr. Wylie. Mrs Patterson was Margaret Barrigar, a daugh-
ter of Walter Barrigar, their family consisting of eleven children. In early days their shop-
pine was done at the store of Henry Stearns, Mariatown.
JAMES PAUL settled on lot 34, concession 1, Matilda. He married Catherine Clark, a daugh-
ter of the pioneer school teacher of Dundas.
JOSEPH PAYNE, a Matilda settler, married Mary Foster. Their family consisted of Jona-
than, Joseph, William, John, Moses, James, Rachel (Mrs Thomas Botfield). Emeline, Nancy,
NICHOLAS POWERS was a pioneer settler east of what is now Cass Bridge, Winchester town-
ship. A son of his was drowned in the Nation River.
438 THB STORY OF DUNDAS
PETER PRUNER was a resident of Scoharie before em igrating to Williamsburg township. He
was a U. E. L. ; was a volunteer during the war of 1812-14, being present at the tk ing of Og-
densburg and the defeat of the Americans at Crysler's Farm.
WILLIAM QUART came from County Down, Ireland, and settled on lot 4, concession 6, Win-
chester township. His wife was Dorothy Maria Irving, also anative of Ireland. Their family
consisted of four sons.
DAVID RAE was born in Dumfrieshire, Scotland, in 1821, and when a mere lad emigrated with
his parents to Canada, settling in Glengarry county. He served in the Glengarry militia, and
bore arms during the stirring times of 1837-8. He subsequently removed to Winchester town-
ship; was reeve there for several years, and was warden of these counties in 1870. In religion
he was a Presbyterian, and in politics a Conservative. His wife was Jennie Carlyle.
ROBERT REDMOND married Lucy Chatterson, and settled in concession 3, Matilda.
MARCUS REDMOND, a U. E. Loyalist, was born in 1797, died in 1889. At the age of fifteen he
joined the active militia, and saw service at Crysler's Farm and later at the "Windmill."
WILLIAM REID was a native of County Antrim, Ireland. One of his sons, Samuel, married
Nancy Martin, who came from County Derry, Ireland. Mrs (Samuel) Reid, who still survives,
pathetically tells of the long ocean voyage of seven weeks; of the trip from Montreal to Pres-
cott in open boats ; and of pioneer life in Mountain. Other early residents in the vicinity of
Reid's Mills were John Gafney, Laurence Fitzpatrick, and Joseph Taylor.
WILLIAM JOHN RIDLEY was born in London, England, in 1818. When about 21 years of age
he. came to Canada, and subsequently settled in Mountain township, Dundas county. From
that time until his death in 1896, Mr Ridley took a very active part in educational matters,
and was deeply interested in all issues pertaining to the welfare of this county. He taught
school for twenty years; was superintendent of schools for some time, and for forty-two years
was clerk of the court for the township of Mountain. In religion he was a member of the
Church of England, and in politics a Conservative.
CAPTAIN WILLIAM RILEY, of the Second English Artillery, came to Canada in 1818, and did
garrison duty in Quebec City for two years. He had served fifteen years in the Arsenal School
at Woolwich, England, being tutor in that institution for three years. In the Peninsular War
he was wounded while serving under Sir John Moore, and was present at the burial of that
distinguished warrior on the ramparts of Corunna. Tiring of military life, he became finan-
cial agent of Sir William Johnson, and later came to Dundas and secured a government allot-
ment of 200 acres in concession 6, Winchester township, and 200 acres west of Dunbar, Wil-
liamsburg township. The latter, now known as the Marcellis property, he exchanged for a
tract of land east of North Williamsburg. Before leaving England he married Martha,
widow of the late Thomas Lane, and grandmother of Squire Lane, of North Williamsburg.
Captain Riley died June 9, 1844, and is buried at North Williamsburg.
GEORGE ROBERTSON settled in the vicinity of Cornwall. His children were Samuel, George,
David, James, Mrs Scarboro, Mrs John Doran. Two of the sons, Samuel and Da\ id, settled
along the St. Lawrence in Matilda.
ROBERT ROBINSON came from County Antrim, Ireland, during the forties. He worked in
the Hyndman settlement for a whil before settling on the east half of lot 22, concession 7,
Mountain. His father, John Robinson, soon afterwards came out, and located in the 8th con-
cession of Mountain. The children of John Robinson were : Robert, Arthur, John, Samuel,
Joseph, Charles, Edward, Thomas, George, James, Elizabeth (Mrs Thomas Smith), Martha
(Mrs Joseph Smith).
CAPTAIN ALEXANDER ROSE was born in Schoharie county, N. Y., in 1769, and died in 1835.
When about three or four years of age he was captured by the Indians and adopted by a chief
of the tribe. After the death of the chief, the Indians sold him to a blacksmith near Niagara
for a bottle of rum. Young Rose soon escaped from his new master, and joined the King's
army as a drummer boy. He later came to Canada, a U. E. Loyalist, and secured land near
the site of the then future Morrisburg. He was twice married. The children of his first fain-
^ ^ <U g.j ^ *~3 ^
OH ^ ^^ W , EQ
BIOGRAPHICAL NOTICES OF EARLY SETTLERS 441
ily were: Samuel, Barney, Sybil, Lydia, Huldah; those of his second family: Hugh, William,
Jesse, Charles, James, Robert, Isaac N., Elizabeth, Harriet. John Rose, a brother of Alexan-
der Rose, was born in 1764. After the close of the Revolutionary War he settled in Matilda,
and married Catharine Munro; their children were Hugh, Isabella (Mrs Morris Becksted), Jen-
nie (Mrs David Brown), Mary, Phoebe (Mrs Rev. W.H. Williams), Alexander, Reuben, Charles
C., Ann, Catherine, Lydia.
JOHN RYLANCE came to Matilda in the early sixties.
JAMES SARGEANT, who settled in Williamsburg, had two sons, Thomas and John, and two
daughters, Sarah and Barbara.
PETER SADDLEMYER, who came to Canada in 1837, was of German descent. In 1755 two boys,
George and John Saddlemyer. came to Philadelphia. John married Ursula Bassler, a quaint
Dutch lady. The parents of Peter Saddlemyer were Frederick and Nancy. Peter settled in
the township of Williamsburg, and soon afterwards married Eliza Becksted. Katie, a sifter
of Peter, married Harry VanAllen, and settled in Dundas county in 1833. Betsey, another
sister, married Jacob Becksted in 1820, and moved to Dundasin 1828. Three years afterwards
they bought the land now owned by their son Peter. They made a small clearing, and built a
shanty; but having no money with which to buy stock or seed they went to one Mackintosh
and bought a cow, and to Joaquin Barkley and boughtsome seed grain on credit. Fromsmall
beginnings they, however, prospered.
JOHN SAVOR was a Matilda settler. His family were : Jacob, John, Hannah, Esther, Mary,
Betsey, Catharine (Mrs Captain George Drummond), Nancy, Margaret.
DANIEL SCHELL, of German descent, located in the vicinity of North Williamsburg.
PHILIP AND JOHN SERVISS came from the Mohawk Valley, and settled in Matilda. The
children of John Serviss were : George, Betsey, Levi, Margaret, Nicholas, John, Lavina, Wil-
liam, Mary, Philip.
WILLIAM SHAVER was of U. E. Loyalist descent. In 1836 he moved to Winchester Springs
vicinity, then an unbroken forest ; but he lived to see that wilderness "blossom as the rose."
Mr Shaver's home was for many years a shelter for the pioneer Methodist preachers.
ANDREW SIPES, an early settler of Matilda township, was born 1764; his wife was Mary Mid-
dagh. Their family consisted of Sarah (.Mrs Grant), Mary (Mrs Dillabough). Dinah (Mrs David
Robertson), Cornelia (Mrs Samuel Robertson), Jacob, Hannah (Mrs Rose), John, Eva (Mrs
Samuel Rose), Catharine (Mrs Rose), Elizabeth (Mrs Munro), Andrew, George, Peter, Charlotte
(Mrs James Smyth),
ZOPHER SKINNER settled along the St. Lawrence in Matilda. His wife was Abbey Locke.
Their children were: James, Ormand. Joseph, Samuel, Charles, William, Mrs McGrifflth, Mrs
George W. Brouse, Mrs Breckenridge, Sarah.
WILLIAM T. SLATER, colonel during the war of 1812, was a very early settler in the vicinity
of Inkerman. He drew 400 acres of land, an area equal to that which he had abandoned in the
United States, rather than turn against the "Old Flag." His family were: John, David, James,
Mary, Margaret. Other early settlers in the vicinity were Robert Parker, Robert Mullin,
David Mulloy, James Little.
JAMES SMYTH, a native of Tyrone county, Ireland, came to Canada with his family in 1834 ;
settled at first in Oznabruck township, but later came to Matilda and settled on lot 6, conces-
sion 3. His sons were: James, George, William, Robert, Alexander.
THOMAS SMITH, who settled early on lot 22, concession 7, Mountain, was a native of County
Antrim, Ireland. In religion he was a Presbyterian and in politics a Conservative.
THOMAS SMYTH and wife, Mary Holmes, with their family emigrated from Ireland about
1830. They remained for a few years at Farran's Point before coming to Matilda, where they
set led on lot 5, concession 3. Their family were : Oliver, Eliza (Mrs Hugh Carter), Lucy (Mrs
Michael McLaughlin), Matilda (Mrs Thomas Marselis), Margaret (Mrs George Morris.)
WILLIAM SMITH, an early settler of Pleasant Valley, Matilda, is said to have owned the
first wagon in that vicinity.
442 THE STORY OP DUNDAS
.1 1 I.KS STAMP camo to Matilda and settled on lot 19. in the second concession.
JOHANN WILUBLM STRADER emigrated from Germany to the state of New York, and later
came to Canada a U. E. Loyalist, settling in concession 2, Matilda township. His children