Copyright
James A Sharp.

A new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) online

. (page 10 of 293)
Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 10 of 293)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


W .) val. with Hornblotton, 188?., patr. Rev. J.
G. Thring, rector.

Alfoxton (20) 5 m. ESE. of Watchet, N.
Somerset. L. St. Albyn, Esq.

Alfred Mine (33) near Hayle, SW. Cornwall

Alfred's Tower (19) 5 m. NE. of Wincanton,
E. Somerset, in Stourhead Park, has a fine pro-
spect.

P. M. ALFRETON par. (71) Scarsdale hund. E.
Derb. 13 m. NNE. of Derby-139, on a hill, near
Midld. rail, and Erewash canal, a polling place,
containing Riddings Cur., Greenhill Lane, Sum-
mercotes, Swanwick, and Birchwood, Codnor
Park, Butterley, etc., was founded, they say, by
Alfred, and belonged to Beauchief ab. Acres 4550";
pop. 7577 + 188, of town 1774, in the colleries,
ironworks, stone-quarries, potteries, and stocking-
manufact. ; houses 354, irregular, with 2 churches,

3 chapels, 2 banks, savings' bk. Swanwick school
(50?.).; poorr. 823?. on 11,922?. (BelperU.); real
prop. 18,103?.; charities 108?. St. Martin Vic.
(Lich.) val. 150?., patr. W. P. Morwood, Esq. of A.
Halt, who has the manor through the De Alfretons,
Chaworths, Babingtons, and Zouches; church,
ancient. Roman remains have been found at
Greenhill Lane. Mkt. D. Mond. and Frid. Fairs,
8 Oct. 29 Nov. * A. DEANKXY, archcly. of
Derby, dice, of Lichfield, contains some of the
benefices marked in Scarsdale hund. with Cod-
nor c., Heanor ., Pentridge t\, Ripley c.

AI.FRICK chplry. (55) Suckley par. W. Wore.



ALK



31



7 m. WSW. of Worcester-Ill, near R. Teme.
Acres 1790 ; pop. 434 ; poor r. 248?. (Martlcy U.) ;
real prop. 4078?.; charities 14?., of which" 8?. to
Lloyd's school. Living, a Cur. with Suckley.

P. ALFRISTON par. (5) Alciston hund. Lewes
rape, SE. Sussex, 5 m. SE. of Lewes-50, near S.
Coast rail, on R. Cuckmere, belonged to Michel-
ham priory. Acres 2120, chalky ; pop. 668 ; poorr
437?. (Eastbourne U.) ; real prop. 3154?. ; St. An-
drew Vic. (Chic.) val. 135?., patr. Ld. Chancel-
lor; church, decorated eng. with stone stalls,
piscina, founder's tomb in the chancel (which has
a norman arch), and an old cross. Roman coins
have been found, curious sculptures are to be seen
at the inn, and barrows have been opened on the
Wendover hills, which command a fine view.
The Alf. apple is a fine autumn fruit, and the Hor-
ticult. Soc. has a white rennet grown here, 15 in.
round, weighing 11 J Ib, Fairs, 12 May, 30 Nov.

ALGARKIRK par. (70) Kirton wap. SE. Lin-
coln. 6 m. SW. of Boston-113, on Gt. North, rail,
near Fossdyke Wash, so called after Algar, the
sax on ' eorl ' of Mercia, who was killed at Threk-
ingham 870, and whose pillar, they say, is in the
churchyd. Acres 6050, fenny ; pop. 754 + 10 ;
poor r. 262?. (Bost. U.) ; real prop. 10,229?. ; chari-
ties 24?. with a share in Fossdyke hosp. St. Peter
and St. Paul Rect. (Line.) val. with Fossdyke
1310?., patr. Rev. B. Berridge, rector, of A. House,
who has the manor; church, early eng. with
norman traces, and a brass (1498), and tombs of
the Berridges.

AUiam (19) 4 m. NNW. of Bruton, E. Somerset.

ALHAMPTON tythg. (19) Ditcheat par. E.
Somerset. 2 m. NNW. of Castle Cary-113, near
R. Brue. Pop. 386 ; real prop. 3205?.

Alicana, of the Romans, is ILKLEY, W. R. York. ;
Alione, or Alone, is near AMBLESIDE, Westmrld.

Alice Holt Forest (8) near Binstead, NE. Hants.
was called Aisholt, and is 2 m. by 2, strong loam,
with large oaks, etc.

Aline Loch, 12 m. NW. of Oban, N. Argyll, in
the Sound of Mull, near A. Castle, a ruin.

ALKBOROUGH, or ATJKBOROUGH, par. (86) N.
Manley wap. NW. Lincoln. 10 m. NW. of Brigg
-155, where R, Trent joins the Humber, con-
tains Walcot, and remains of Countess Close ro-
man camp 300 ft. square, near Julian's Bower.
Acres 2540 ; pop. 528 + 6 ; poor r. 182?.(Brigg U.) ;
real prop. 3405?. ; charities 2?., and a poor's alms-
house. St. J. Baptist Vic. (Line.) val. with Whit-
ton 209?., patr. Bishop and Rev. C. Constable.

ALKERTON tythg. (35) Eastington par. W.
Gloucester. 4 m.'W. of Stroud-101. Pop. 1108 + 5.
A. House, W. Fryer, Esq. gap" ALKERTON par.
(45) Bloxham hund. NW. Oxford. 6 m. WNW.
of Banbury-71, near Broomhill. Acres 650 ,
pop. 190 ; poor r. 78?. (Banb. U.) ; real prop.
1268?. St. Michael Rect. (Oxon.) val. 153?.,
patr. Rev. R. Hughes, rector, sometime held
by the unfortunate Lydiat, a native (1572-1646),
whose family had the manor. ' If dreams yet
flatter, once again attend, Hear Lydiat's life, and
Galileo's end.'

ALKHAM par. (3) Folkestone hund. Shepwav
lathe, E. Kent, 4 m. WNW. of Dover-71, con-
tains Reindein House. Acres 3190 ; pop. 595 + 5 ;
poor r. 2907. (Dov. U.) ; real prop. 3491?. St.
Anthony Vic. (Cant.) val. with Capel-le-Ferne
152?., patr. Archbp. ; church, norman. and early
eng. A. House, R. Halford, Esq.

Alkincoates or Alcancotes ( ) near Colne. E.
Lancash., T. Parker, ESQ., an old seat.

AI.KIXGTOJT tythg. (35) Berkeley par. W.
Gloucester, close to Berkeley-114, near Glouc.
and Brist. rail. Pop. 1175 + 1. ; real prop. 7990?.



ALK



ALL



A. Hall. g^ ALKINGTON tnshp. (73) Whit-
church par. N. Salop. 1 m. SSW. of Whitchurch
-165, near Ellesmere canal. Pop. 135.

ALKMERE tnshp. (61) St. Chad. par. Mid.
Salop. 2 m. SSE. of Shrewsbury-153, is joined
to BELTON.

ALKMONTON tnshp. (72) Longford par. 5.
Derby. 5 m. SE. of Ashborne-139, had St. Leo-
nard's hosp. found, before 1474. Pop. 102 + 3.
Living, a Cur. (Lioh.) val. 50Z., patr. W. Evans,
Esq.

ALKRINGTON tnshp. (88) Prestwich-cum-Old-
ham par SE. Lancash. 1 m. S. of Middleton-
192, on R. Irk. Acres 680 ; pop. 338, in the
cotton factories ; poor r. 43Z. (Oldham U.) ; real
prop. 1745/. A. Hall, 3. Lever, Esq., was seat
of Sir Aston L., who collected his museum here,
which was sold in London.

Allachy Burn, rises near Mt. Battock, S. Aber-
deen, and runs to R. Tanar near Aboyne.

ALLALEIGH hmlt. (23) Cornworthy par. SE.
Devon. 4 m. SE. of Totness-196. Pop. 93.

ALLAN, BRIDGE OF, vil. Lecropt and Logie
pars. S. Perth. 2 m. NNW. of Stirling-35, where
R. Allan joins the Forth, in a pretty spot, near
the Airthsay Wells. Pop. 561.

Allan Say (34) 2 m. E. of Whitehorn, SE.
Wtgton. SW. side of Wigton bay.

Allan Water, rises near Blackford, S. Perth, in
the Ochil hills, and runs SW. about 14 m. through
the fine vale of Strath-allan to the Forth, at
Bridge of Allan, as below, and has good trout.
IfiT A., or Elland, Water, rises in Melrose par.
NW. Roxburgh, and runs S. about 6 m. to the
Tweed near Abbotsford, through the Glendearg
of Scott's " Monastery." igap" A. Water, rises in
Caldcleugh hill, SW. Roxburgh, and runs N.
about 5 in. to the Teviot, near Branxholme Ho.,
3 m. SW. of Hawick.

AUanbank, 1J m. SW. of Chirnside E. Berwick,
was seat of the Stuarts, Bts.

Allanby Hall ( ) 7 m. NW. of Penrith, Mid.
Cumbrld.

Alland's Bay (27) between Brownston and
Swiney heads, E. Waterford.

Allanshields ( ) 7 m. NNW. of Stanhope, NW.
Durham.

ALLANTON vil. Edrom par. E. Berwick. 4 m. E.
of Dunse-44, where the Rs. White and Black
Adder join. Pop. 267, in the Allanbank papermills.

AUanton, 9 m. NNE. of Lanark, NE. Lanark.
has collieries and ironworks.

ALLAKD'S. See E. BURNHAM, Bucks.

AUardyce House, 1 m. NW. of Bervie, SE.
Kincardine, belonging to R. B. Allardice, Esq.
is a ruin.

ALLBRIGHTS (47) near Clare, N. Essex, is a
Cur. with Ovington.

Allbrook (11) 6 m. SSW. of Winchester. Mid.
Hants, on R. Itching.

ALLCANNINGS par. (14) Swanbor. hund. Mid.
Wilts. 4 m. E. of Devizes-89, on Wilts, and
Berks, canal, near the Avon and Wans-Dyke,
contains Etchilhampton and Fallaway. Acres
7630 ; pop. 1148 + 33 ; poor r. 386i (Devizes TJ.) ;
real prop. 6429J. ; charities 19Z. St. Anne Rect.
(Sarum) val. with Etchilhampton 1100Z., patr.
Lord Ashburton. Fair, 6 Aug. cattle and horses,
at St. Anne's hill, on the Downs.

Allcott Hall (62) 2. m. SW. of Coleshill, NW.
Warwick, near R. Cole.

ALLDER. See ALLDWORTII, Berks.

ALLEN, ST., par. (31) W. Powder hund. Mid.
Cornwall, 4 m. N. of Truro-235, on A. River,
which runs to the Fal at Truro. Acres 3610
(or 3493) ; pop. 652 + 2 ; poor r. 125/. (Truro U.) ;



real prop. 3084Z. Living, a Vic. (Exet.) val. 174/.,
patr. Bishop. Near Gwarnike 3-ditched camp,
was the Bevills' old seat, now a farm. Par. feast,
Rogation Sund.

Allen, Bog of, a dreary swamp in the middle of
Ireland, traversed bv the Roval and Grand canals,
extends, at intervals, from Clane in Kildare west-
ward through King's and Queen's Cos. and West-
meath to the Shannon, or about 50 m. by 25, and
can be seen from the Hill of Croghen near Phil-
lipstown. Av. depth 25 ft., moss at the top and
dark peat beneath, which becomes hard and black
lower down, lower still is a thin bed of clay on a
mass of clay and limestone gravel. Two tracts in
Kildare and about the Barrow are estimated to
cover 90,000 acres, and though patches have been
reclaimed, it is still for the most part unproductive.
One cultivated piece, 4 m. E. of Rathangan, Kild.,
surrounded with bog, is called the Isle of A. ;
at one end of this, near the Grand canal, is the
Hill of A., 676 ft. high, the site of Fingal's or
" Almhin's hall" of Moore's song, commanding a
wide prospect of the naked plain around ; and
under it is the vil. of ALLEN, which gave title of
visct. to that family.

Allen Hall (82) "i m. NW. of Matlock, Mid.
Derby, on R. Derwent. igg A. Park ( ) 3 m.
E. of Wolsingham, Mid. Durham.

Allen, or Allyn, Though (20 etc.) 8 m. N. of Car-
rick-on-Shannon, Mid.Leilrim, in a wild country,
and supplied by the Shannon (which has its head
not far off in Cavari), is 8 m. by 3, 160 ft. above
the sea, and surrounded by the Slieveanierin and
other mountns., from 1400 to 1900 ft. in height.

Allen, or E. Allen, River ( ) rises at Allen-
heads, S. Northmbrld. and runs N. about 12 m.
past Allendale to the S. Tyne, near Ridley Hall.

ALLEN, WEST HIGH and Low, grieveshps. Al-
lendale par. as below, on the West Allen R. which
runs into the E. Allen near Whitfield ; pop. 968
and 439. Living, a Cur. (Dur.) val. 167/., patr.
Vicar.

P. M. ALLENDALE par. ( ) S. Tindale ward,
S. Northmbrld. 7 m. SW. of Hexham-209, on
East Allen R., under A. Hill, near Leeds and
Thirsk rail., is a polling place, containing W.
Allen, Allenhead, and Nine Banks Curs., Broad-
side, Catton, Forest, Keenley, and Park. Acres
45,810 moorland, with Beaumont's lead mines,
producing 2500 tons yearly, with some silver;
pop. 5729 + 18, of town 1217 ; houses 221, with 3
churches, 4 chapels, savings bk., free gram, school
(62/.), bridge (b. 1825) ; poor r. 1490/. on 11,208/.
(Hexh. U.) ; real prop. 37096/. ; charities 66/. Liv-
ing, a Vic. (Dur.) value 143/., patr. T. W. Beau-
mont, Esq., who has the manor ; St. Peter Cur.,
120/., patr. Vicar. A camp at Old Town. Mkt.
D. Fricl. Fairs, 10 May, 14 Nov.

ALLENFORD FARM ext. par. (15) Martin par.
S. Wilts. 8 m. SW. of Salisbury-81 ; pop. 17.

ALLENHEADS ( ) Allendale par. as above, 7 m.
SSW. at the source of R. Allen, has rich lead
mines (which have been worked from time im-
memorial), coal, and rock crystal. Living, a Cur.
(Dur.) value 507. patr. Vicar ; church, reb. 1826.

Allensdale (33) near Innistioge, E. Kilkenny.

ALLENSMOOR par. (43) Webtree hund. S.
Heref. 4 m. SW. of Hereford-134, on Aber-
gavenny tram rail. Acres 1930 ; pop. 668 + 7 ;
poor r. 299/. (Heref. U.); real prop. 3309Z. ;
charities 15Z. St. Andrew Vic. (Heref.) val.
1., patr. Dean. A. House, W. Pateshull, Esq.

ALLENSTOWN vil. (24) Lower Navan bar Mid.
Meath, 3 m. SE. of Kells, near A. Hill, J. X.
Waller, Esq.

ALLENTON, or ALWINTON, par. ( ) W. Co-



ALL



ALL



quetdale ward, Mid. Northmbrld. 9 m. WX\V. (
Rothbury-304, where R. Allen or Altcin joins
the Coquet, contains Biddleston, Borrowdon,
and 9 other tnshps. Acres 31,940 moorland;
pop. 812, of town 78 ; poor r. 537, (Rothb. U.) ;
real prop. 16,7887. ; charities, 221. to Harbottle
school, etc. St. Michael Vic. (Dur.) val. with
Hallystone 1007., pa.tr. Duke of Northinbrld. of
Alnwick.

ALLER hmlt. (18) Hilton par. Mid. Dorset. 8 m.
WSW. of Blandford-103, on a branch of R.
Trent ; pop. 91.

ALLER par. (18) Somerton hund. Mid. Somer-
set. 2 m. NW. of Langport-128, near R. Parrot,
contains Oath, where Guthrum and his people
were baptized after their defeat by Alfred, and
A. Moor, where a skirmish took place 16G4.
Acres 4290; pop. 559 + 6; poor r. ISO/. (Langp.
U.) ; real prop. 82367. ; charities 87. St. Andrew
Rect. (Ba. and W.) val. 623/., patr. Eman. Coll.
Camb., sometime held by the father of Cud-
worth, author of the " Intellectual System of the
Universe," who was a native 1617-88 ; church,
ancient, with a saxon arch and effigies of a
Botreaux.

ALLERBY tnshp. ( ) Aspatria par. W. Cum-
brld. 3. m. NE. of Maryport-311, near Carl. rail.
and Solway Frith, is joined to OUGHTERSIDE, and
belongs to" Dykes of Dovenby. Real prop. 10887.

ALLERDALE-ABOVE-DEKWENT WARD ( )
SW. Cumbrld. contains Cockermouth, and Ra-
venglass, the pars, of Arlecdon c., Bootle r., St.
Bridget's Beckermet c., Brigham ., Cleator c.,
Corney r., Dean r., Distington r., Drigg c., Egre-
mont r., Gosforth r., Haile c., Harrington r., Irton
c., St. John Beckermet c., Lamplugh r., Lorton c.,
Loweswater c., Millom v.. Moresby r., Mnncaster
c., Ponsonby c., Salter, "Waberthwaite r., Whi-
cham r., Whitbeck c., Workington r., and parts
of St. Bees c., and Crosthwaite; acres 275,970>
pop. 41,261, houses 8399. See Coupland Deanery.

ALLERDALE-BELOW-DERWENT WARD ( )
Mid. Cumbrld. contains Maryport, Allonby, Kes-
wick, the pars, of All Hallows c., Aspatria v., Bas-
senthwaite c., Bolton c., Bridekirk v., Caldbeck r.,
Cammerton, Canonby-Cross c., Dearham v., Flim-
by c., Gilcrus v., Holme-Cultram c., Ireby c.,
Isell ., Plumblands r., Torpenhow v., Uldaje r.,
Westward c., and parts of Bromfield ., and Cros-
thwaite . ; acres 170,400, pop. 29,896, houses
6055. >Jf A. DEANERY, archdy. and dioc. of Car-
lisle, contains the benefices marked above, and
those in Leath ward, with Kirkbride r., Nicol
Forest c., Wigton ., Workington r.

ALLERFORD tythg. (20) Sel worthy par. NW.
Somerset. 4 m. W. of Minehead-163 ; pop. 181;
real prop. 340 1/.

Allersgill (), 1 m. WSW. of Stanhope, W.
Durham, on R. Wear, in Weardale.

ALLERSTON par. ( ) Pickering Lythe wap.
N. R. York. 4 m. ESE. of Pickering-226, near
It. Derwent. Acres 9110; pop. 414 + 3; poor r.
947. (Picker. U.); real prop. 3857. St. Mary
Cur. with Ebberston.

ALLERTHORPE par. ( ) Harthill wap. E. R.
York. 2 m. SW. of Pocklington-212, near the
canal, contains Waplington. Acres 2050, of town
1430, part common ; pop. 199 + 1, and 154 ; poor
r. 297. (Pocklngt. U.) ; real prop. 18437. ; chari-
ties 197., and 2 poor's houses. Living, a Cur.
with Thornton. |gT AI.LERTHORPE tnshp. ( )
Pickhill par. N. R. York. 4 m. ESE. of Bedale
-232, near Leeming Lane and R. Swale, is joined
to SWAINBY.

AUerton (25) 2 m. WNW. of Totness, S. Devon.
^ AUerton (24) 3 m. SE. of Modbury, S. Devon.
VOL. I.



giT ALLEKTOJJ tnshp. (80) Childwall par. SW.
Lancash. 4 m. SE. of Liverpool-206, near the
Mersey, has an ancient oak and Calder druid
(?) stones. Acres 1410; pop. 443 + 7; poor r
847. (W. Derby U.) ; real prop. 69227. A. Hall,
P. Ellames, Esq., was the seat of Roscoe and the
Lathams ; A. Priory, T. Rathbone Esq.

P. ALLERTON tnshp. ( ) Bradford par. W. R.
York. 3 m. NW. of Bradford-196, contains A.
LANES and 7 other hmlts. Acres 1970; pop.
1914+18 in the collieries and factories ; poor r.
5457. (Bradf. U.) ; real prop. 10,5897. Living, a
Cur. with Wilsden.

ALLERTON BYWATER tnshp. ( ) Kippax par.
W. R. York, 5 m. NW. of Pontefract-177, on
R. Hire, near N. Midld. rail. Acres 870 ; pop.
490 + 12; poor r. 937. (Preston Incorp.); real
prop. 30857. U^ A. CHAPEL par. (19) Bemstone
hund. Mid. Somerset. 3 m. SW. of Axbridge
-130. Acres 1490; pop. 331 + 2; poor r. 1507.
(Axbr U.) ; real prop. 7. ; charities II. Liv-
ing, a Rect. (Ba. and W.) value 2237.. patr. Dean
and Chap, of Wells. ^ A. CHAPEL chplry. ( )
Leeds par. W. R. York. 2. in. NNE. of Leeds-189,
contains A. GLEDHOW, A. MOOR, andMEANwooD.
Acres 3040 ; pop. 2580 + 65 ; poor r. 4567. (Carlton
Incorp.) ; real prop. 13,0127. Living, a Cur. (Rip.)
value 3G17., patr. Vicar, ig?" A. EAST and WEST
vils. ( ) 4 m. SSW. of Berwick-on-Tweed, N.
Northmbrld. gif A. MAULEVERER par. ( )
Upper Claro wap. A 7 : R. York. 4 m. ENE. of
Knaresboro'-202, on a branch of the Nidd and
E. and W. York rail, containing Clareton, belonged
to Rich. Mauleverer, who (Hen. II.) found, a be-
nedictine priory, celt to Marmoustier ab., France,
given to King's Coll. Oxon. Acres 2300 ; pop.
277 + 2, of town, with Hopperton, 258 + 2 ; poor
r. 657. ; real prop. 39677. ; charities 37. St. Martin
Cur. (Rip.) value 657., patr. Lord Stourton, of A.
M. House, near Claro Hill.

ALLERTON, NORTH. See NORTHALLERTON, N.
R. York.

ALLERTONSHIRE WAPENTAKE ( ) N. R. York.
contains the- pars, of Birkby, Hutton-Conyers,
Northallerton, Osmotherley, W. Rouncton, Sessay,
Sigston Kirby, Thornton-le-Street, and parts of
Leake, N. Otterington, Gt. Smeaton, Sockbum,
and Weath ; acres 51,500, pop. 10,025, houses
2063.

P. ALLESLEY par. (53) Knightlow hund. Mid.
Warwick. 2 m. NW. of Coventry-91, near North
West. rail. Acres 3950; pop. 963 + 9; poor r.
4777. (Meriden U.) ; real prop. 10,6637. ; charities
1147., of which 457. to Flint's school. All Saints
Rect. (Wore.) value 7497., patr. Rev. W. T. Bree,
rector. A. Park, Rev. J. Neale, was the Hast-
ings' seat, who had a castle here.

ALLESTREE par. (72) Morleston hand. S.Derby.
2 m. N. of Derby-126, near Midld. rail, and R.
Derwent. Acres 990; pop. 507; poor r. 547.
(Belper U.) ; real prop. 31177. ; charities, church
land, etc. 327. St. Andrew Cur. with Mack-
worth ; church, ancient, with tombs of the Mundys
of A. Hall and Markeaton.

Alley Green (46) 2 m. SW. of Luton, NW.
Herts.

ALLHALLOWS par. ( ) Allerdale below Der-
went ward, W. Cumbrld. 7 m. SW. of Wigton
-303, near Maryport rail, on R. Ellen. Acres
1860, with coal, lime, and freestone quarries;
pop. 235 + 3; poor r. 1-47. (Wigt. U.); real prop,
21127.; charities U Living, a Cur. (Carl.) val.
807., patr. Bishop. ^ Allhallows (21) 4 m. NE.
of Collumpton, NE. Devon, igf ALLHALLOWS
par. (1) Hoo hund. Aylesford lathe, N. Kit,
8 m. NE. of Rochester-29, has Yantlet Creek

D



34



ALL



coast gd. station on the Thames. Acres 24GO ; pop.
268 ; poor r. 1497. (Hoo U.) ; real prop. 39537. St.
Mary Vic. (Roch.) val. 2477., patr. Dean and Chap.

P. ALLIHIES, or BEARHAVEN, vil. (14) Bear bar.
W. Cork, 6 m. W. of Castletown-Bearhaven-223,
in Ballydonagan buy, has a copper mine which in
1836 yielded 6000 tons, and employed above 1200
men, being one of the most productive in the
country. Pop. 196.

ALLINGHAM (6) 3 m. NE. of Maidstone, Mid.
Kent, is a Vic. with Thornham.

ALLINGTON tnshp. (73)Gresfordpar. E.Denbigh.
3 m. N. of Wrexham-179 ; pop. 859. (S3T AL-
LINGTON, or ALVINGTON, EAST hmlt. (24) Chivel-
stone par. S. Devon. 5 m. SE. of Kingsbridge-
208. 835 ALLINGTON par. (17) Godderthorne
hund. W. Dorset, close to Bridport-135, on E.
Brit, had St. M. Magdalene's lepers' hosp., found.
1553, val. 71. Acres 960, part in hemp and flax ;
pop. 1545 + 24, some in the flaxmill ; poor r.
6717. (Bridp. U.) ; real prop. 45567. St. Swithin
Cur. (Sal.) val. 1087., patr. Rev. H. Fox, incum-
bent. Fair, 22 July, cattle, etc. ifsT ALLING-
TON tythg. (11) S/Stoneham par. S.Hants. 5 m.
NE. of Southampton-74, near Gosport rail, and
R. Itching. Pop. 536 ; real prop. 34987. i^T AL-
LINGTON par. (6) LarkSeld hund. Aylesford lathe,
Mid. Kent, 1 m. NW. of Maidstone-34, on the
Medway, near A. Knoll (326 ft. high), was a mkt.
town, and has, at a farm, remains of Steph. de
Penchester's castle, where Sir T. Wyatt the elder
was born, 1503-42. Acres 920 ; pop. 49 +1 ; poor r.
347. (Mailing U.); real prop. 11487. St. Lawrence
Rect. (Cant.) val. 145/., patr. Earl of Romney, of
The Mote, who has the manor. Fair, St. Law-
rence's day. ijip ALLINGTON par. (14) Ames-
bury hund. SE. Wilts. 3 m. ESE. of Amesbury
-77, on a branch of R. Avon, near Icknield St.,
belonged to Farleigh priory. Acres 460 ; pop.
94 + 1 ; poor r. 287. (Amesb. U.) ; real prop. 92 U. ;
Living, a Rect. (Sal.) val. 236Z., patr. Earl of
Craven, of Ashdown. fg ALLINGTON tythg.
(14) Allcannings par. Mid. Wilts. 4 m. ENE. of
Devizes-81, near Wilts, and Berks, canal. Pop. 188.
ijip ALLINGTON tythg. (34) Chippenham par.
NW. Wilts. 2 m. NW. of Chippenham-93. Pop. 120.

ALLINGTON, EAST, par. (24) Stanboro'
hund. <S. Devon. 3 m. NE. of Kingsbridge
-208, is a meet for the Slapton harriers. Acres
4220 ; pop. 729 + 5 ; poor r. 3687. (Kingsbr. U.) ;
real prop. 45707. St. Andrew Rect. (Exet.) val.
3457., patr. Mrs. Fortescue ; church, has screen,
brasses, and tombs of the Fortescues, gif* A.
WEST. See ALVINGTON WEST. $3f A. EAST
par. (70) Winnibriggs wap. S W. Lincoln. 4 m.
NW. of Grantham-110, is a Cur. with Sedgebrook.
Acres with West A. 2070 ; pop. 276. ^T A.
WEST par. close to the above. Pop. 120 + 41 ;
poor r. 1057. (Newark U.) ; real prop. 35967. ; cha-
rities 17/. Holy Trinity Rect. (Line.) val. 2627.,
patr. Ld. Chancellor. A. House, Dowager Lady
Welby, in elizabeth. style. igT A. Hill (52 ) 3 m.
S. of St. Neot's, E. Bedfd.

ALLITHWAITE, UPPER and LOWER, tnshps.
( ) Cartmel par. N. Lancash. 2 m. NE. of Cart-
mel-254. Acres 3710 and 2360; pop. 740 and
8077. ; poor r. 5267. (Ulverstone U.) ; real prop.
74377. A Lodge, .

Allnach, or Ailnach, Water, rises in Cairngorm,
S W. Banff, and runs NE. about 9 in. to R. Aven,
near Tomantoul.

P. M. ALLOA par. S. Clackmn. 2 m. WNW. of
Clackmannan, 32 from Edinbro', near the Scot. Cen-
tral rail., a bonding-port at the steam ferry the head
of the Frith of Forth,where R.Devon joins,a sheriff's
pourt and burgh of barony, watered by A. Burn,



ALL

and containing Cambus, Collyland, Holton Square,
and Tullibody (where Abercrombie was born),
was given by Dav. I. 1365 to the Erskines, who
here received Q. Mary, and had charge of her son
Jas. VI. and his son Pr. Henry. Size 4 m. by 2, of
rich land by the "bonnie links o' Forth," with
coal ; pop. 7921 + 155, of town 5434 + 102, in the
shipping trade, in the collieries (155 hands), iron
(135), woollen (165), and glass (54) factories,
brick and tile works ; nouses 839, with 2 churches,
5 chapels, court-house, custom-house, 3 banks,
assembly-rooms, library, gas and water works,
5 ale breweries, factories, schools ; real prop.
23,3537. ; for poor 16087. Living (Presb. Sterling)
val. 2997., patr. Crown ; church, a new pointed one
with a steeple. Fordyce, author of ' Sermons to
Young Women,' was minister. A. House, the
old seat of the Erskines, Earls of Mar, where
K. Jas. was nursed, was partly burnt 1800, and
has a tower of 13th cent. 89 ft. high, 11 thick.
Shaw Park, Earl of Mansfield. The harb. has 12 to
22 ft. water (3 more than Leith) with a good dry-
dock. In 1846, 122 sail of 19,070 tons (36 being
under 50 t. each, and 8 built abroad), and 4 steam-
ers of 308 t. belonged to the port ; and the tonnage
Inwards and Outwards (including repeated voy-
ages), was, ' coastwise ' 183 of 8448 and 456 of
22,409 tons, to 'colonies' 18 of 7209 t., from
and to ' foreign ports,' 15 of 1275 and 24 of 3790 t.
(besides 15 foreigners of 1244 and 65 of 6240 t.) ;
exports (val. 7.) are coal, glass, ale, woollens,
imports (val. 7.) flax, linseed, timber, iron ;
total customs 18597. A branch rail, to the Central
is making, and the Dumf. and Stirlg. line will
pass through it. Mkt. D. Wed. Sat. Fairs, 2nd
Wed. in Feb. May, Aug. and Nov.

P. ALLONBY chplry. ( ) Bromfield par. W.
Cumbrld. 22 m. SW. of Carlisle, 316 from London,
near Maryp. rail., a fishing and bathing place
and sub-port to Carlisle, on Solway Frith, oppo-
site Rigg light vessel. Pop. 811 + 3; poor r. 1767.
(Wigton U.) ; real prop. 28677. ; charities 47. to
school. Living, a Cur. (Carl.) val. 947., patr.
Vicar ; Jos. Huddart, the hydrographer, a native,
1741-1816.

ALLOSTOCK tnshp. (80) Gt. Budworth par.
Mid. Cheshire, 4 in. NE. of Middlewich-167, on
a branch of R. Weaver belongs to Shakerley
of Somerford. Acres 2540 ; pop. 427 ; poor r. 1167.
(Northwich U.) ; real prop. 42107.

Allow River (78) rises near Llanerchymedd,
Mid. Anglesey, and runs W. about 10 m. to Holy-
head bay, at Pen-y-gored. ' Allow,' the chief.

ALLOWAY old par. now united to Ayr, W. Ayr.
2 m. S. of Ayr-74, near the ' Brig-o'-Doon,' not
far from Burns's monument and the cottage in
which he was born 1759. The roofless walls of the
" auld haunted kirk," where Tarn o' Shanter saw
the warlocks dance, still remain ; but the wood-
work has been made into snuff-boxes and other
relics for the poet's admirers, and the churchyard
is crowded with graves.



Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 10 of 293)