Copyright
James A Sharp.

A new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) online

. (page 107 of 293)
Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 107 of 293)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of the seats are : Marq. Headford Virginia PL,
Lord Farnham Farnham, Young, Bt. Bailieboro 1
Ho., Finley, Kt. Brackley, Maxwell of Arley
Cot., Bailie of CarrighUl, Enery of Ballyconnell
Ho., Butler of Quivey Lodge, Humphreys ofBally-
haise Ho., Coote of Bellamont or Cootehill, Morton
of Kilnacrott, Nesbitt of Lismore Lodge, O'Reilly
of Baltrasna, Saunderson of Cast. Saunderson.
Roads : 1. Cavan to Stradone 5, Virginia 17, thence
Kells 27 ; or by Stradone to Bailieboro' 17, Kings-
court 23. 2. to Butler's Bridge 3, Belturbet 8 ; or
Cootehill 13, or Newtown Butler 20. 3. Bally-
jamesduff 10, Mt. Nugent 14. 4. Crossdoney 5,
Scrabby 12 ; or to Arvagh 11 ; or up the hills to
Killeshandra 10, Ballyconnell 18, Swanlinbar 26.



CAV

P. M. CAVAN town (20) Urney par. Upper
Loughtee bar. Mid Cavan, 70 m. from Dublin, the
county, assize, and sessions town, a military and
chief police station, near Lough Swellan, had a
castle b. by the O'Reillys, who also found.
Keadue abbey 1300, and is a nominal boro'
which returned 2 members before the Union. Pop.
3749 + 81, agricultural; houses 522, with par.
church, chapel, county courthouse, infirmary and
gaol, infantry barracks, college or royal school
(6427. with 5 exhibitions) of which Dean Swift's
friend Sheridan was some time master, bank,
savings bk., loan fund, and Union p. house. Bra-
die's castle marks the centre of the borough, near
which Capt. Wolsey and his men defeated the
Duke of Berwick 1690. It publishes the ' Anglo-
Celt ' newspaper. Farnham, Lord Farnham ;
Cast Saunderson, A. Saunderson, Esq. Cavan,
P. L. Union, contains 23 elect, divs. in Cavan,
with 30 guardians, acres 180,442, pop. 97,271,
ho. room for 1950, cases relieved (1847-8) 3859
(besides 12,928 out-door), expend. 19,6847., prop,
rated 127,2827. Mkt. D. Tues. Fairs, 1 Feb.
Easter Mond. 14 May, 30 June, 14 Aug. 25 Sept
12 Nov.

Cavanacoe ( ) near Strabane, N. Tyrone, B. G.
Humphrev, Esq.

Cave Acre (12) 3 m. SE. of Andover, If. Hants.
ff C. Hill (57) near Belfast, SE. Antrim, a
basalt peak, on a limestone base, 1200 ft. high,
commanding a view as far as Scotland, (Jsp" C.
Lodge (73) 5 m. NW. of Kilconnell, Mid. Galway,
near C. House. igg C. Hole, near Portland light,
S. Dorset, a hollow through which the sea rises
in rough weather.

P. CAVE, NORTH, par. ( ) Harthill wap. E. R.
York. 2 m. NW. of S. Cave, as below, contains
S. Cliffe cur., Drewton, and Everthorpe. Acres
6360, of town 3270; pop. 1217 + 21, and 897
+ 15 ; poor r. 3967. (Howden U.) ; real prop.
48657. All Saints Vic. (Yk.) val. 2477., patr. the
Burton family.

P. M. CAVE, SOUTH, par. ( ) Harthill wap.
E. R. York. 24 m. SE. of York, 182 from London,
containing Broomfleet and Flaxfleet, is a petty
sessions town in a hollow by the Humber. Acres
7480, of town 4630; pop. 1852 + 65, and 1288
+ 45 ; houses 2 1 6, with 3 chapels, bank, and school ;
poor r. 2947. on 71907. (Beverley U.) real prop.
73027.; charities 247. of which 187. to Jobson's
school. All Saints Vic. (Yk.) val. 1687., patr.
H. G. Barnard, Esq., who has the manor (through
the Bolderos), and at C. Castle, which commands
fine prospects, a portrait of Washington, whose
family emigrated from this in 1657 ; church, b.
1601. Mkt. D. Mon., when much business in
corn is done. Fair, Trinity Mon.

Cave Town (10) 4m. SE. of Boyle, N. Roscomn.

Cave's Inn, or Cave in the Hole (53) 3 m. NE. of
Rugby, E. Warwick, on Watling St., was kept by
the Caves for many generations, and is on the site
of Hallywell priory cell.

Cavelow (31) 2 m. N. of Penryn, S W. Cornwall.

Cavenagh's Country of the Irish, was Idrone
bar. Carlow, which came to the Carews.

P. CAVENDISH par. (47) Babergh hund. SW.
Suffolk, 5 m. NW. of Sudbury-54, on R. Stone,
gives name to the Devonshire family, who were
settled here, and of whom was John, who helped
to kill Wat Tyler, his father the chief justice,
beheaded by Jack Straw's mob for this act of the
son, and William, who was Wolsey's usher and
biographer, and uncle of the loyal Duke of New-
castle, the founder of Chatsworth. Acres 3450 ;
pop. 1353 + 14 ; poor r. 8907. (Sudb. U.) ; real prop.
45517.; charities, Grey's school, 1047. St. Mary



CAV

Rect. (Ely) val. 547/., patr. Jesus Coll. Camb. C.
Hall, .

Cavendish Bridge ( ) on the Trent, near Risley,
S. Derby, a meet for the Donington hounds.

CAVENHAM par. (51) Lackford hund. N W. Suf-
folk, 4 m. SE. of Mildenhall-70, on R. Lark. Acres
2630 ; pop. 277 + 1; poor r. 128/. (Mildenh. U.) ;
real prop. 1206/. ; charities 437., of which poor's al-
lotment 227. St. Andrew Vic. (Ely) val. 1137., patr.
Ld. Chancellor. C. Hall, H. S. Waddington, Esq.

Cavens Castle, at Kirkbean, SE. Kirkcudbt.
under Criffel, belongs to Oswald of Auchencruive,
once to the Regent Morton.

CAVERS par. Hawick district, S. Roxburgh. 6 m.
S. of Hawick-50, in two parts, between Rs. Rule
and Slitterick, near R. Teviot, contains Denholm,
and part of the Catrail with some camps. Size
20 m. by 2 to 7 (rising 1830 ft. at Wisp, which
has a view from sea to sea) ; pop. 1709 + 8 ; real
prop. 13,0707. ; for poor 516/. Living (Presb.
Jedburgh) val. 2507., patr. J. Douglas, Esq., of C.
House, author of " Errors regarding Religion,"
etc., and descended from Douglas of Otterbourne.
Stobbs, Sir W. F. Elliot, Bt., where Lord Heathfield
was born. At Carlenrigg wood Johnny Arm-
strong was killed and roman urns have been found.

CAVERSFIELD par. (45) Buckingham hund.
2V. Sucks, locally in Oxford. 1 m. N. of Bices-
ter-54, where the pretender Carausius in 291 or '94
was killed by Alectus. Acres 1200 ; pop. 178 + 5 ;
poor r. 877. (Bicest. U.) ; real prop. 7. St.
Lawrence Vic. (Oxon.) val. 69Z., patr. Bullock's
Trustees ; church, part norman, with a circular
font, and brass of a ' heart.' C. House, seat of
Mrs. Bullock. Coins of the above generals or
' emperors ' have been found at Steeple Clayton.

P. CAVERSHAM par. (13) Binfield hund. SE. Ox-
ford. 1 m. N. of Reading-38, on R. Thames, near
C. Hill, where (1643) Prince Rupert had a skir-
mish with the parliamentarians, belonged at the
Conquest to the Gifards, and had a priory or cell
to Notley abbey. Acres 1500 ; pop. 1642 + 28 ;
poor r. 7267. (Henley U.) ; real prop. 98287. ; cha-
rities, Earl of Kildare's 131. St. Peter Cur.
(Oxon.) val. 116/., patr. Chr. Ch. Coll. ; church,
of flint, partly norman and later styles (Hen. I.
to Hen. IV.). Under the hill is a mineral
spring. C. Park, seat of W. Crawshay, Esq.,
which belonged to the Marsacs and Cadogans, to
whom it gives title of visct., was laid out by
'Capability' Brown and the ho. is rebuilding
on site of that burnt Jan. 1850 ; in the first house
Ch. I. was allowed to see his children, and Lord
Knowles entertained Anne queen of Jas. I.

CAVERSWALL, or CARESWELL, par. (72) N.
Todmonslow hund. N. Stafford. 4m. W. of Chea-
dle-146, containing Weston-Coyney and Hulme,
had a strong castle b. in Rich. I.'s time by Will, de
Careswell, which came to the Montgomerys, Gif-
fords, Ports, Hastings, and later to the Vanes, but
is now turned into a nunnery. Acres 5380 ; pop.
1505 + 30 ; poor r. 2497. (Chead. U.) ; real prop.
1 1,G70/., of which 53477. on mines and iron works ;
charities 317. St. Peter Vic. (Lich.) val. 217/.,
patr. T. H. Parker, Esq. ; church, has mon. of
Will, de C. the founder of the castle, and of Earl
St. Vincent C. Hall, .

CAVERTON vil. Eckford par. NE. Roxburgh. 5 m.
S. of Kelso-42, near the racecourse. Pop. 50.

CAVII, tnshp. (86) Eastrington par. E. R. York.
2 m. NE. of Howden-180, is joined to PORTING-
TON, and has traces of the seat of the Cavils. Real
prop. 7677.

Cuw House ( ) near Londonderry, NW. Londy.
G. Tomkins, Esq.

CAWDEN AND CADWORTH HUNDRED (14-5)



CAW



381



5. Wilts, contains the pars, of St. Martin Barford
rect., Baverstock r., Britford vie., Burcombe, cur.,
Coombe-Bissett t>., Fovant r., Groveley-Wood,
Nether Hampton, West Harnham c., Homington
c., Odstock r., St. Anthony Stratford r., Sutton
Mandeville r., Whitsbury, and parts of Bramshaw
and Wilton ; acres 25,100, pop. 4818, houses 958.
See CHALKE DEANERY.

P. 9< CAWDOR, or CALDER, par. 2V. Inverness.
and S. Nairn. 3 m. SW. of Nairn-126, on R. Find-
horn. Size 4 m. by 3, or about 26,000 acres,
moory ; pop. 1030, of vil. 146 ; real prop. 27907. ;
for poor 1931. Living (Presb. Nairn) val. 156/.,
patr. Earl of Cawdor, of C. Castle, an ancient
moated structure, b. 1400 (on the site of one
which belonged to Macbeth ' Thane of Cawdor '),
with old tapestry, secret passages, etc., and a
venerable tree in a vault under the tower, where
they drink ' success to the hawthorn,' i. e. to the
house of Cawdor. Some very old timber is about.
Fair, 2nd Tu. Mar.

CAWDRY tnshp. ( ) Leek par. 2V. Stafford.
near Leek-154. C. Farm House, near the above.

CAWKWELL par. (83-4) N. Gartree wap. E.
Lincoln. 7 m. N. of Horncastle-134. Acres 540 ;
pop. 47 ; poor r. 121. (Home. U.) ; real prop. 7437.
St. Peter Vic. (Line.) val. 46/., patr. Earl of Yar-
borough.

CAWOOD chplry. ( ) Melling par. N. Lan-
cash. 10 m. NE. of Lancaster-240, is joined to
ARKHOLME.

P. CAWOOD par. ( ) Lower Barkstone, Ash
wap. W. R. York. 9m. S. of York, 186 from Lon-
don, near N. Midld. rail, at the ferry on R. Ouse,
a petty sess. and once a mkt. town, with some
remains of the old palace of the Archbps. of York,
in which Wolsey was arrested 1530. Acres 2840 ;
pop.1108 ; houses 261 ; poor r.4137. (SelbyU.) ; real
prop. 57917. ; charities 431/., of which Feoffment
estate 2477., Duffield's school 103/., James's hosp.
76/. All Saints Cur. (Yk.) val. 120/., patr. Preb.
ofWistow. Fairs, 12 May, 19 Dec.

CAWRSE HUNDRED (60) E. Montgomery, con-
tains the par. of Forden, and parts of Alberbury,
Castle-Caereinion, Church Stoke, Pool, and Wor-
then ; pop. 2322, houses 429.

P. CAWSAND vil. (24) 2 m. SW. of Plymouth
-216, SE. Cornwall, a coast gd. and pilot station
on C. Bay, which lies at the mouth of the Sound,
opposite the W. end of the Breakwater, and has
safe anchorage for line of battle ships. One of
the ' Armada' was fired here by the people 1597 ;
and 93 deaths out of 789 took place 1849.

Cawsand Beacon (24) near Oakhampton, on
Dartmoor, Mid. Devon. 1792 ft. high, as deter-
mined by survey.

CAWSTON par. ("66-8) S. Erpingham hund. 2V.
Norfolk, 4 m. WSW. of Aylsham-118, near R.
Wensum and E. Count, rail, is held of the duchy
of Lancaster. Acres 4430 ; pop. 1130 + 2 ; poor r.
546/. (Aylsh. U.) ; real prop. 49997. ; charities 111.
St. Mary Rect. (Norw.) val. 8087., patr. Pem-
broke Hall, Camb. ; church, has an ancient poor
box. flif" CAWSTON limit. (53) Dunchurch par.
E. Warwick. 2 m. SW. of Rugby-83, a meet for
N. Warwick hounds. C. House, Lord J. Scott.

CAWTHORN tnshp. ( ) Middleton par. 2V. R.
York. 3m. NNW. of Pickering-226. Acres 1540;
pop. 20 ; poor r. 61. (Pickering U.).

P. CAWTHORNE par. (88) Staincross wap. W.
R. York. 4 m. WNW. of Barnesley-172, contains
Barnby-Basin at the end of that canal, B.-Fur-
nace, Deacon-Brook, and Norcroft. Acres 3440,
with coal, lime, and ironstone ; pop. 1437, miners ;
poor r. 4347. ; real prop. 81037., of which 1200/.
on mines; charities, school 57. All Saints Cur.



382



CAW



CEF



(Rip.) val. 119Z., patr. Archbp. of York; church,
later eng. C. House, T. West, Esq. gg CAW-
THORPE hmlt. ( ) Bourne par. .$. Lincoln, near
Bourne-97. Pop. 94 ; real prop. 3365Z.

CAWTHORPE, LITTLE, par. (84) Calceworth
hund. E. Lincoln. 4 m. ESE. of Louth-143. Acres
780 ; pop. 196 + 6 ; poorr.49Z. (Louth U.) ; real prop.
66U St. Helen sequestrated Vic. (Line.) val. 69Z.

CAWTON tnshp. ( ) Gilling par. N. R. York.
4 m. S. of Helmsley-222, a meet for the Sinning-
ton hounds. Acres 900 ; pop. 101 + 1 ; poor r. 14/.
(Helms. U.) ; real prop. 1338/.

P. M. CAXTON par. (52) Longstow hund. S W.
Camb. 20 m. SW. of Cambridge, 50 from London,
a decayed town on Ermine St. which belonged to
the fams. of D'Eschallers, Frevile, Burgoyne, and
others, and was the birthplace of Matthew Paris,
the historian (about 1200-59). Acres 2000, pas-
ture, etc. ; pop. 558 + 14 ; poor r. 345Z. on 1955Z. ;
real prop. 2379Z. ; charities 47/., of Langwith's
39Z., with 9 townhouses. St. Andrew Vic. (Ely)
val. 80Z., patr. Dean and Chap, of Windsor;
church, has some old tombs. C. End, 2 m. W. ;
Bourne Hall, Earl Delawarr. Caxton and Arring-
ton P. L. Union, contains the pars. etc. of Arring-
ton, Bourne, Caldecot, Caxton, Croxton, Croydon,
Elsworth, Eltisley, Eversden (Great and Little),
Gamlingay, Gransden (Little), Hardwick, Hatley
(East and St. George), Kingston, Knapwell, Long
Stow, Orwell, Papworth (St. Agnes and St. Eve-
rard), Tadlow, Toft, Wimpole in Camb., and
Gransden (Great), Yelling, in Hunts. ; acres 45,436,
pop. 10,080, cases relieved (yr. 1846-7) 941 (out-
door 630), expend. 6771Z., prop, rated 43,361Z.
Sup. Registry comprises the same; pop. 10,077
+ 113. It belongs to Cambridge New County
Court district. Mkt. D. Tu. Fairs, 5 Mar. 18 Oct.

Cayne River ( ) a small mountain stream, 6 m.
N. of Dolgelly, Mid. Merioneth, which has a fall
called the Pistyll-y-Cayne, of nearly 200 ft. over
a wall-like rock. Near it is the Mawddach fall.

CAYNTON tnshp. (73) Edgmondpar. NE. Salop,
3 m. NW. of Newport-142. Pop. 51 ; real prop.
2275Z.

CAYO HUNDRED (41) E. Carmarthen, contains
the pars, of Cilycwm, Conwil-Cayo, Llandyfeisant,
Llansawel, Llansorda, Talley, and parts of Llan-
deilofawr, Llandingat, and Llan-y-Crwys ; pop.
8066, houses 1820. flip CAYO vil. Conwil-Cayo
par. in the above hund. 6 m. N W. of Llandovery
-191. Real prop. 3063/.

P. CAYTHORPE par. (70) Loveden wap. S W.
Lincoln. 9 m. ESE. of Newark-124, contains
Friston. Acres 3820 ; pop. 821 + 10 ; poor r. 3281.
(Newk. U.) ; real prop. 8242Z. ; charities 77. St.
Vincent Rect. (Line.) val. 976?., patr. Rev. C.
Crofts; church, decorated eng. and cruciform.
C. House, C. Packe, Esq. gg CAYTHORPE tnshp.
(71) Lowdham par. S. Notts, 5 m. S. of South-
well-132, on. R. Trent. Pop. 315 + 3, stocking
makers, on C7 hosiery frames; poor r. 69Z.
(So thw. U.); real prop. 1253/. gS CAY-
TJ 1 >RPE hmlt. ( ) Rudston par. E. R. York. 3 m.
NKofGt.Driffield-196.

CAYTON par. ( ) Pickering Lythe wap. N. R.
) r-k. 4m. SSE. of Scarborough-187, on the coast
,ad branch rail., contains Osgodby. Acres 2430,
of town with Deepdale and Killerby 1140 ; pop.
572 + 6, of town 503 + 6; poor r. 113Z. (Scar-
boro' U.) ; real prop. 4146Z. ; charities I/. St.
Leonard Cur. with Seamer. g3P CAYTOK hmlt.
( ) S. Stainley par. W. R. York. 3 m. NE. of
Ripley-215.

Ceanmharra Hill, W. end of Tiry Isld. NW.
Argyll, has large caves, swarming with sea birds.

Ceaster, or Caester, of the Saxons, is CHESTER.



Cecil (56) near Augher, S. Tyrone, F. J. Ger-
vais, Esq.

Cecil Lodge (7) near Abbot's Langley, W.
Herts, seat of Capt. White.

P. CECILSTOWN vil. (24) Duhallow bar. N. Cork,
a petty sessions and police station, 6 m. E. of
Kanturk-158. Pop. 346 + 1. Fairs, 25 Apr. 14
May, 18 Oct. 24 Nov.

Cedar House (7) at Hillingdon, W. Middlsx. so
called from a fine cedar, which before it was cut
down spread its branches over a space 89 ft. by
96 ; was 59 ft. high, 15J ft. girth at the ground,
12 girth at 7 ft. from the ground, 15 girth at
14 where the branches divided ; two of which
were 10 and 12 ft. girth.

CEDRIS tnshp. (59) Talyllyn and Llanfihangel-
y-Pennant pars. Mid. Merioneth. 6 in. SSW. of
Dolgelly-208. Pop. 166 ; real prop. 752/.

CEFEN-LOCH tnshp. (74) Llanrhaiadr-yn-
Mochnant par. N. Montgomery. 5 m. N. of Llan-
fyllin-179. Pop. 331 ; real prop. 1132/.

CEFFENPAWL tnshp. (56) Abbey -cwm-hir par.
N. Radnor. 6 m. ENE. of Rhayadergwy-181,
where R. Clywedog joins the Ithon. Pop. 139 ;
real prop. 1237Z.

CEFN, or CEVN, hmlt. (36) Gelli-gaer par. E.
Glamorgan. 6 m. N. of Caerphilly-160, on a hill
by a branch of R. Taf. Pop. 611 ; real prop.
8405Z., of which 3350Z. on mines.

Cefn Amlwch (75) near Nevin, S W. Carnrvn.
Hon. Mrs. Finch, having a cromlech in the neigh-
bourhood. $&" C. Bryn Hill (37) near Reynold-
stone, W. Glamorgan. 581 ft. high, has a cromlech
called Arthur's Stone, consisting of 6 blocks
supporting another, besides many cairns, etc.
around. gg C. CYMER tnshp. (79) Llangwym
par. S. Denbigh. 13 m. SW. of Ruthin-195. Pop.
119. ^" C. Farchen (40) near Whitland Abbey,
W. Carmarthen. ^ C. Glas (36) 9 m. N. of
Llantrissant, E. Glamorgan. ^g~ C. Llewtrcf
(57) near Llanwnnen, /S. Cardigan, where some
triangular silver coins, undescribed, were found.
^ C. Mabley (36) 6 m. NNE. of Cardiff, E. Gla-
morgan, was the seat of the Kernes family. i^p" C.
Sidan, E. side of Carmarthen bay, S. Carmrthn.
a sand between Rs. Burry and Towy, 5 m. by 2.
ifg" C. Trynfa (41) 3 m. NNW. of Llandovery,
NE. Carmrthn.

P. CEFN-Y-BEDD ( ) 4m. from Wrexham
-179, SE. Denbigh. ^g" C.-Y-CoED tnshp. (78)
Eglwysfach par. N W. Denbigh. 4 m. SSE. of Con-
way-223. Pop. 290. 3 C.-y-Gaer Camp (42)
near Brecknock, S. Brecon, near C. Park, P. Wil-
liams, Esq. gg C.-Y-GURDY tnshp. (79) Llan-
gwyfan par. NE. Denbigh. 5 m. N. of Ruthin-195.
Pop. 114.

CEFNBLAIDD hmlt. (41) Talley par. E. Car-
marthen. 7 m. N. of Llandeilofawr-202. Pop. 376.

Cefncethinfawr (41) 3 m. S. of Llandeilofawr,
E. Carmrthn.

CEFNDEISIOG tnshp. (60) Llanfihangel par. N.
Montgomery. 5 m. SW. of Llanfyllin-179.

CEFXDU tnshp. (79) Rhuddlan par. NW. Flint.
near Rhuddlan-209.

CEFNHAFODAN tnshp. (56) Llangirrig par. S.
Montgomery. 5 m. S. of Llanidloes-188. Pop. 336.

Cefni River (78) rises above Llangefni, N. An-
glesea, and runs 12 m. SW. under the 19-arched via-
duct on Chest, and Holyhd. rail, to Malldraeth bay.

CEFNLENYD ext. par. ( ) Deythur hund. NE.
Montgomery, about 7 m. E. of Llanfvllin-179.
Pop. 15.

CEFNLLYFNOG tnshp. (60) Meifod par. NE.
Montgomery. 3 m. S. of Llanfyllin-179. Pop. 52.

CKFNLT,YS, or KEVENI.LEECE, HUNDRED (56)
Mid. Radnor, contains the pars, of Blethvaugh,



CEF

Cefnllys, Llanbadarn-fawr, Llandrindog, Llanfi-
hangel-Rhydithon, Pilleth, Whitton, and parts of
Abbey-cwm-hir, Llandegley, Llandewy-Ystruil-
denny, and Llangynllo ; pop. 3187, houses 541.

# CEFNLLYS, or KEVENLEECE, par. as above,
8 m. SE. of Rhayader-181, on R. Ithon, contain-
ing Cwmbreeth, Trefonnon, and Trelegoed, with
ruins of a fortress called Castell Glyn Ithon, b. by
Ralph Mortimer about 1242, is a polling-place
and a contributory boro' to New Radnor, the
limits being those of the old boro', about 2 m. by
i m. in extent, no. of electors , and is nomi-
nally governed by a bailiff, recorder, and bur-
gesses. Pop. 379 ; poor r. 997. (Rhaya, U.) ; real
prop. 1640/. ; charities, Palmer's 227. St.Michael
Rect. (St. Dav.) val. 1357., patr. Bishop.

CEFN-LLYS ISAF and ISCHAF tnshps.(60) Lla-
nerfyl par. 2V. Montgomery. 4 m. WN W. of Llan-
fair-178. Pop. 192 and 223.

CEFNNPOST tnshp. (74) Llanfihangel-Glyn-y-
Mvfyr par. NE. Merioneth. 6 m. NW. of Corwen
-194. Pop. 76 ; real prop. 3397.

CEFNPENNAR limit. (36) Aberdare par. NE.
Glamorgan. 4 m. SW. of Merthyr-Tydfil 171,
within that boro', on the canal and R. Cynon,
under TwjTimawr. Pop. 834, in the iron works,
real prop. 21597.

CEFNRHOS ISA and UCHA tnshps. (59) Towvn
par. SW. Merioneth, near Towyn-217. Pop. 633
and 93 ; real prop. 25967.

CEFNTREFFRAW tythg. (78) Aberffraw par.
S W. Anglesea, near Aberffraw-246.

CEFNYBERIN tnshp. (60) Kerry par. SE. Mont-
gomery. 2 m. ESE. of Newtown-175. Pop. 83.

Cefn-yr-Ogo (79) near Abergele and Gwyrch
castle, N W. Flint, a limestone rock and cave, com-
manding a fine land and sea prospect, near which
Rich. II. was taken by Northumberland, and
given up to Bolingbroke.

CEFN-YR-OWEN tnshp. (59) Dolgelly par. Mid.
Merioneth, near Dolgelly-208 ; pop. 66 ; real
prop. 4167.

CEFYN, or CEVK, tnshp. (79) Cilcen par. Mid.
Flint. 5 m. NW. of Mold-191, on a hill near R.
Alyn. Pop. 302. ^ Cefyn ( ) 2 m. SW. of
St. Asaph, N. Denbigh. Mrs. Lloyd, in a fine
spot on R. Elwy, near some caves where fossil
bones have been found.

Cegid River (78) falls into the sea at Port Pen-
rhyn, N.Carnrvn. after passing under the viaduct
600 ft. long, on Ches. and Holyhd. rail.

CEIDIO. See RHODOGEIDIO, Anglesea.

CEIDIO par. (75) Dinlaen hund. S W. Carnar-
von. 5 m. WNW. of Pwllheli-234. Pop. 138 ;
poor r. 947. (Pwllh. U.) ; real prop. 8577. ; cha-
rities, church lands 47. St. Ceidio Cur. (Bang.)
val. 857., patr. T. P. Parry, Esq.

CEIRCHIOG par. chplry. (78) Llyfon hund.
S W. Anglesea, 4 m. N. of Aberffraw-246. Pop.
160; poor r. 997. (Angles. U.) ; real prop. 6167.
Holy Rood Cur. with Llanbenlan.

Ceiriog River (74) rises under Cader Ferwyn,
S. Denbigh, and runs 18 m. E. past Chirk to
R. Dee, through a fine valley, where O. Gwyn-
nedd met Hen. II.

P. M. CELBRIDGE vil. (11) Kildrought and
Donaghcumper pars., X. and S. Salt bars., NE.
Kildare, llm. W. of Dublin, near Gt. S. and
West, rail., a petty sessions and police station,
on R. Liffey, was found, by the earls of Limerick,
and bought by Speaker Conolly of hospitable me-
mory. Pop. 1289, many in the woollen and cotton
trade ; houses 220, with church, chapel, savings |
bk. (11,8397. from 354 depositors), Conolly's j
school (3097.), factories, hospital, and Union p. i
house. Castletown, Col. Conolly, has many family \



CER 383

and other portraits. C. Abbey, or Marley House,
seat of J. Ashworth, Esq., formerly of M'iss Vau-
homrigh, Swift's 'Vanessa,' who planted some
laurels, and died here 1723; Oakley Park, R.
Maunsel, Esq. Celb. P. L. Union, contains 15
elect, divs. in Kildare, Dublin, Meath, with 19
guardians; acres 86,801, pop. 25,242, ho. room for
1120, cases relieved (1847-8) 897 (besides 38 out-
door), expend. 36647., prop, rated 130,7767. M kt.
D. Sat. Fairs, last Tnes. Apr. 8 Sept. 7 Nov.

&. CELLAN, or KELLAS, par. (57) Moydyn
hund. S. Cardigan. 3 m. NE. of Lampeter-209, on
R. Teifi and the roman way to Loventium or Lla-
nio, has the ' Llech Cynon ' barrow, the ' Bedd-v-
Forwyn ' kistvaen, or stone tomb, the Byr faen,
and other sepulchral heaps, with remains of a
cromlech, camps, and other antiquities. Pop. 475 ;
poor r. 787. (Lamp. U.) ; real prop. 12697. Living,
SL Rect. (St. Dav.) val. 837., patr. Bishop. ; church,
has an old font. Rev. M. Williams, the welsh
antiquary, was a native.

CELLAR-HEAD hmlt. (72) Rownall and Hulme
tnshp. 2V. Staffd. 4 m. NW. of Cheadle-146.

CELLARDYKES vil. Kilrenny par. and burgh.
SE. Fife. 8 m. SSE. of St. Andrew's-41. Pop.
1486 fishermen.

CELLIWYNN hmlt (36) near Llantrissant, E.
Glamorgan.

CELLWS hmlt (56) Llanbadarn-fawr par. Mid,
Radnor. 7 m. SE. of Rhayader-181. Pop. 194.

Celnius Fluv. of the Romans, is the Doveron,
Banff, near Deskford or Ad Celinam (or SeK-
nam), and Celnius or Cullen.

CEMAES. See KEMESS, Pembroke.

CEMAS-COED vil. (78) Trewalchmai chplry.
W. Anglesea, 5 m. NN E. of Aberffraw-246.

P. CEMMAES tnshp. (78) Llanbadrig. par. N.An-
glesea, 10 m. NE. of Holyhead-260, near C. Creek,
'in Yrwylfa bay. Pop. 909 ; real prop. 26367.

P. CEMMES" par. (60) Machynlleth hund. W,
Montgomery. 6 m. NE. of Mnchynlleth-205, on R.
Dvfi, contains Brynuchel, Gwernybwlch, and
Tafolog. Pop. 935+2; poor r. 3427. (Machyn.
U.) ; real prop. 1. ; charities 57. St. Tydecho
Rect. (St. As.) val. 2887., patr. Bishop. Moel
Eiddau roman camp commands a fine view. Fairs,
1 May, 9 Sept. 24 Nov.

CENARTH. See KENARTH, Carmarthen.

Cenefar of Alfred's Will, is CANDOVER CHIL-
TON, Hants.

Cennen River (41) a branch of R. Sawddwy at
Llandeilofawr, Carmarthen, passing by Carreg
Cennen.

Cenia of the Romans, in Cornwall, was on the
R. Fal's mouth, the Cenionis Ostia. The Ceno-
manni were a tribe of the ICENI, Norfolk.

CENIN viL (75) Llanfihangel-y-Pennant par.
S. Carnarvon. 5 in. N. of Criccieth-226. Pop.
215 ; real prop. 17197.

CENOL (i. e. middle) parcel (42) Llanfihangel-
Cwmdu par. E. Brecon. 5 m. NW. of Crickhowell
-157, on R. Rhiangol and Via Julia roman way.
Pop. 246 ; real prop. 9917.

Cent, or Centlond, of the Saxons, is Kent; and
the Centingas were the Kentish men.

Ceortesige of the Saxons, is CHERTSEY, Surrey.
Ceostefne, is KESTEVEN, or S W. Lincoln. Cerdi-
cesford, is CHARFORD, Hants.

Cerdyn River (41, 57) runs 5 m. SE. to the
Teifi, S W. Cardigan, near Llandyssil.

Ceredigion, or Caredigion, the old name of Cardi-
gan., when it included great part of Carmarthen.

P. CERES par. Cupar distr. Mid. Fife. 3m. SE. of
Cupar-32, near R. Eden and Magus Muir, where
Abp. Sharp was murdered by Burley and his
associates, contains Chance Inn and Craigrothie.



384



CER



Size 8 m. by 1 to 4, or 8000 acres, hilly but fer-
tile, with coal, lime, basalt ; pop. 2944 + 18, of
vil. 361, weavers, etc. ; real prop. 12,6177. ; for



Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 107 of 293)