poor 4077. Living (Presb. Cupar) val. 2307.,
patr. Earl of Glasgow, once held by T. Bucha-
nan and Principal Haliburton. Strathers was
the old seat of the earls of Crawford ; Craighall, of
the Hopes ; Scotstarvet, of the Scotts, with an old
tower. Lindsey of Pitscottie was a native ; and
1785, Lunardi's balloon, which went up at Edin-
burgh, came down here.
Cerigduan Cromlech (42) near Devynock castle,
CERIST tnshp. ( ) Mallwyd par. SE. Merio-
neth. 2 m. S. of Dinas-Mowddwg-200. Pop. 1377.;
real prop. 4297.
CERNE SUB-DIVISION (18) Mid. Dorset, con-
tains the hundreds of Buckland- Newton, Cerne,
Whiteway, and the liberties of Alton-Pancras,
Piddletrenthide, and St. Nicholas Sydling ; acres
63,860, pop. 9176, houses 1776. CERNE, TOT-
COMBE, AND MODBURT HUNDRED, in the above
division, contains the pars, of Cattistock, Cerne-
Abbas, Nether-Cerne, Compton-Abbas, God-
manstone, Hillfield, and part of Hawkchurch;
acres 14,600, pop. 2720, houses 632.
P. M. CERNE- ABBAS par. in the above hun-
dred, 7 m. N. of Dorchester (near S. West, rail),
127 from London, a petty sess. town, among the
hills on C. River (which rises near Mintern, and
passes 8 m. S. to the Frome near Dorchester), has
the tudor gate-house, oarn, etc. of the benedictine
abbey, found. 987 by Ailmer, Earl of Cornwall,
plundered by Canute 1015, and occupied by Q.
Margaret, 1471, on her way to Tewkesbury.
Acres 3010, with chalk; pop. 1342 + 14, employed
in the leather, glove, and parchment manufac-
ture ; houses 255, many old, with a chapel and
Union p. house ; poor r. 649/. on 4314Z. ; real prop.
52957. ; charities 14/. St Mary Vic. (Sal.) val.
811., patr. Lord Rivers, who has the manor, abbey,
etc. ; church, large and later eng. (15th cent.)
with tower. St. Edwald, brother of King Ed-
mund the martyr, was buried, and Card. Morton,
born at Bere Regis, was a monk, in the abbey.
Traces of the abbot's house are found in an old
seat at Beauvoir park. On Trendle hill, a gigan-
tic figure, 180 ft. high, has been cut in the
chalk, of which nothing certain is known. Cerne
P. L. Union, contains the pars, in the above
hund. (except Compton-Abbas and Hawkchurch),
with Alton Pancras, Batcombe, Buckland New-
ton, Cerne, Up, Cheselborne, Frome, St. Quentin,
Hermitage, Mappowder, Melbury Bubb, Mel-
combe Horsey, Minterne Magna, Piddletrenthide,
Pulham, Sydling, St Nicholas, Wootton Glan-
ville ; acres 45,990, pop. 7259, cases relieved (yr.
1846-7), 1272 (out-door 1107), expend. 4113/.,
prop, rated 51,41 31. It belongs to Dorchester
Sup.-Registry and New County Court district.
Mkt. D. Wed. Fairs, 28 Apr. Whit Mon.
2 Oct. cattle.
CERNE, NETHER, par. as above, 2 m. S. Acres
1330 ; pop. 71 ; poop r. 51/. (Cerne U.) ; real
prop. 489/. Living, a Cur. (Sal.) val. 60/., patr. R.
B. Sheridan, Esq. M. P. ^ C., UPPER, par. (8)
Sherborne hund. Mid. Dorset. 1 m. N. of Cerne-
Abbas. Acres 1050 ; pop. 107 + 2 ; poor r. 97. (Cerne
U.) ; real prop. 10707. ; charities, Mellor's, 107.
Living, a Rect. (Sal.) val. 1527., patr. J. White, Esq.
P. CERNEY, NORTH, par. (44) Rapsgate hund.
E. Gloucest. 4 m. N. of Cirencester-88, near
Ermine St. and a small roman camp on the
downs near the racecourse, contains Calmsden
and Woodmancote. Acres 4000; pop. 668 + 4;
poor r. 3067. (Cirenc. U.) ; real prop. 52657. All
Saints Rect. (Gl. and Br.) val. 6547., patr. Uni-
versity Coll. Oxon. C. House, W. Croome, Esq.
P. CERNEY, SOUTH, par. (32) Crowthorne hund.
SE. Gloucest. 3 m. SW. of Cirencester-88, on
Thames and Severn canal. Acres 3100 ; pop. 1077
+ 9 ; poor r. 3357. (Cirenc. U.) ; real prop. 66797. All
Hallows Vic. (Gl. and Br.) val. 2317., patr. Bishop ;
church, early eng., has norman porch with heads,
a pointed chancel arch with zigzag moulding
and carved piscina.
CERJUOGAU MAWR, or KERXIOGGY, hmlt. (74)
10 m. SE. of Llanrwst, W. Denbigh, near the
watershed of the Dee and Conway, on the old
coach road, has a fine veiw of Snowdon near it.
Cerones of the Romans, were in W. Inverness.
P. CERRIG-CEINWEN par. (78) Malltraeth
hund. S. Anglesea. 5 m. NE. of Aberffraw-246.
Pop. 550 + 18; poor r. 1807, (Angles. U.); real
prop. 16207. ; charities 4Z. St. Ceinwen Cur. with
Llangristolus. Henblas, .
Cerrig Dwyi Hill, near Ystrad Ffin, NE. Car-
marthen, about 600 ft. high, commands a fine view
of the source of the Towy, and has the cave of
Thomas ap Catherine, the welsh Robin Hood.
P. CERRIG- Y-DKUIDION par. (74) Isaled huiid.
SW. Denbigh. 9 m. NW. of Corwen-194, on a
branch of R. Dee, and so called, it is said, from
certain druid remains or stone tombs, which
stood here in Llwyd's time, and are now dis-
persed, contains Clustyblaidd, Cwmpeuanner,
Gwernheurn, Hafod-y-Maidd, Llaethwryd, Park,
and Voel. Acres, about 20,000, chiefly moorland ;
pop. 1039 + 3, graziers, etc. ; poor r. 3457. (Corw.
U.) ; real prop. 7. ; charities 2027., of which
Davis's 997. and Baron Price's almsh. 987. St.
Mary Rect. (St. Asa.) val. 5007., patr. Bishop.
Near it is Tyn-y-Rhyd vil., and at Pen-y-Gaer
was a castle, which they say was the retreat of
Caractacus before his seizure by the Romans.
CESSFORD vil. Eckford par. NE. Roxburgh. 6 in.
NE. of Jedburgh-46, on Kail Water, has a ruined
castle 39 ft. by 20, built by the Kerrs before 1446,
and belonging to the Duke of Roxburgh, who
takes from it title of baron. Pop. 150.
Cessnoch Water, rises at Sorn, Mid. Ayr. and
runs 14 m. N. to R. Irvine, below Kilmarnock.
C. House, G. J. Campbell, Esq.
Cestre-scyre of the Saxons, is Cheshire.
CEULAN-Y-MAES-MAWR tnshp. (59) Llanfi-
hangel-Geneur-Glynn par. N. Cardigan. 5 m.
ENE. of Aberystwith-208, under Taliesin's bed,
contains Penrhylog, on C. River, which joins R.
Lery. Pop. 597.
CEUSWYN tnshp. (59) Talyllyn par. S. Merio-
neth. 5 m. S. of Dolgelly-208. Pop. 362.
P. CHACELEY, or CHASELEY, par. (44) Lower
Pershore hund. S. Worcest. 3 m. SW. of Tewkes-
bury-103, near R. Severn. Acres 1710 ; pop.
364+1; poor r. 1387. (Tewkesb. U.); real prop.
38297. ; charities 477., of which Tuberville's free
school 127. St. J. Baptist Cur. (Wore.) val. 1347.,
patr. Vicar of Longdon ; church, ancient. C.
Rye, \ m. S.
CHACKMORE hmlt. (45) Radclive par. NW.
Bucks. 1 m. NNW. of Buckingham-55. Pop.
238. Church in ruins.
CHACOMBE. See CHALCOMBE, Northmptn.
CHAD, ST., par. (61) Shrewsbury borough,
Mid. Salop. (SiT CHAD, ST., par. See ST. MARY
and ST. CHAD, Stafford.
Chadacre Hall (51) 7 m. N. of Sudbury, W.
Chad's (St.) Well, near Battle Bridge, London,
a mineral spring once famous for its cures.
CHADBCRY tythg. (54) Norton par. SE. Wor-
cester. 2 m. N. of Eveham-95. Pop. 28.
CHADD (73) near Malpas, S Jr. Cheshire, is a
Cur. (Ches.) val. 1447., patr. Rector.
CHADDENWICK tythg. (19) Mere par. SW.
Wilts, near Mere-179. Pop. 16; real prop. 7177.
CHADDERTON tnshp. (88) Prestwich-cum-Old-
ham par. SE. Lancash. 1 m. NW. of Oldham-
191. Acres 3020; pop. 5397, in the cotton and
silk factories and colleries ; poor r. 10887. (Old-
ham U.) ; real prop. 12,264/. St. John and St.
Matthew Curs. (Manch.) val. 1507. and 1307., patr.
of both Crown and Bishop. C. Hall, late seat of
the Hortons. Chaderton, the first master of Em-
manuel Coll. Camb., was a native.
CHADDESDEN par. (71) Appletree bund. S.
Derby 1 m. E. of Derby-126, near the rail, and
canal, a meet for the Donington hounds. Acres
2080 ; pop. 472 ; poor r. 1367. (Shardlow U.) ; real
prop. 45667. ; charities 54/., of which Wilmot's
school 357., and Berryford's for poor widows and
fatherless children 161. St. Mary Cur. (Lich.) val.
89/., patr. Sir R. Wilmot, Bt, of C. Hall, of whose
fam. was Sir Edward, physician to George I.
P. CiiADDESLEY-CoRBETT par. (54) Lower
Halfshire hund. N. Worcester. 4 m. SE. of Kid-
derminter-126. Acres 5780 ; pop. 1434 + 3, some
in the worsted mills ; poor r. 4467. (Kidderm. U.) ;
real prop, 12,4377. ; charities 4727., of which to
school, poor's land, and Delaber's almsh. 3287.,
Yates's almsh. etc. 1047. St. Cassyon Vic. (Wore.)
val. 5417., patr. Ld. Chancellor ; church, norman
and later styles, with font, and brass of T. Forest
and fam. C. Lower, 1 m. S.
Chaddlewood (24) 5 m. ENE. of Plymouth,
S W. Devon. W. H. Symons. Esq.
CHADDLEWORTH par. (13) Kintburv Eagle
hund. W. Berks. 6 m. S. of Wantage-60, con-
tains Woolley, where was a small priory. Acres
3660 ; pop. 481 ; poor r. 3257. (Want.'U.) ; real
prop. 36757. ; charities 1227., of which Saunders's
and Wynne's school 1007. St. Andrew Vic.
(Oxon.) val. 2727., patr. Dean and Chap. West-
minster; church, with norman doorway. C.
House, G. Nelson Kerr, Esq., b. 1810, on the site
of an older one.
CHADKIRK. See ROMILEY, Cheshire.
CHADLEY (54) 4 m. E. of Stratford-on-Avon,
CHADLINGTON HUNDRED (44-5) NW. Oxford.
contains the pars, of Ascott, Chastleton, Churchill,
Cornwell, Enstone, Fifield, Fulbrook, Idbury,
Kiddington, Kingham, Minster-Lovell, North-
moor, Chipping Norton, Hook Norton, Great and
Little Rollright, Salford, Salsden, Shipton, Spels-
bury, Swerford, Swinbrook, Taynton, and part of
Charlbury; acres 69,990, pop. 15,666, houses
3197. igTC., EAST, chplry. Charlbury par. in
the above hund. 3 m. SSE. of Chipping Norton-
73, contains C. West, 1 m. NW. of it. Acres
3300; pop. 654; poor r. 3137. (C. Norton U.);
real prop. 48257. ; charities, church estate 28/.
C. House, A. T. Rawlinson, Esq.
CHADNOR (55) 2 m. NE. of Weobley-145, Mid.
CHADSHUNT par. (53) Kington hund. S. War-
wick. 1 m. NNE. of Kington-83, had an oratory
to St. Chad. Acres 1230; pop. 36; poor r. 67.
(Southam U.) ; real prop. 20857. All Saints Cur.
with Bishop's Itchington.
CHADSTONE hmlt. (52) Castle Ashby par. Mid.
Northmptn. 7 in. E. of Northampton-66. Pop. 52.
CHAD WELL ward (1) Barking par. S W.Essex,
3 m. WSW. of Romford-12, on East. Union rail.,
is a K-police station. Pop. 758 + 2 ; real prop.
38957. US" C.-Sr. MARY par. (1) Barnstable
hund. SW. Essex. 10 m. SE. of Romford-12, near
Tilbury fort, on the Thames. Acres 1540 ; pop.
236 + 7 ; poor r. 152/. (OrsettU.) ; real prop. 27197. ;
charities, Symond's 127. St. Mary Rect. (Roch.)
val. 4277., patr. Rev. J. P. Herringham, rector.
gaT C. SPRINGS, near Ware park, SE. Herts, one
of the heads of the New River, partly supplied by
an artesian well.
CHADWICK hmlt, (89) Spotland tnshp. SE.
Lancash., 2 m. W. of Rochdalc-198. C. Hall,
T. Smith, Esq. giP CHADWICK hmlt. (54) par.
of Bromsgrove-116, 3 m. N. of it, JV. Worcest.
Real prop. 44807.
CHADWICK-END (54) 7 m. NW. of Warwick,
CHAFFCOMBE par. (21) S. Petherton hund. S.
Somerset. 2 m. ENE. of Chard-139. Acres 1160 ;
pop. 288 +4 ; poor r. 1047. (Chard U.) ; real prop.
17087. St. Michael Rect. (Ba. and W.) val. 1437.,
patr. Earl Poulett.
CHAFFORD HUNDRED (1) S W. Essex, contains
the pars, of Aveley vie., Childerditch v., Cranham
rect., North and South Ockendon rs., Rainham v.,
South Weald v.. Stifford r., Grays and West Thur-
rock vs., Upminster r., Great and Little Warley
rs., and Wennington r. Acres 34,930 ; pop.
12,347 ; houses 2049. * C. DEANERY, archdy. of
Essex, dioc. of Rochester, contains the benefices
marked above, with Brentwood cur.
Chafford ( ) near , Kent, seat of Rev. Sir H.
P. M. CHAGFORD par. (25) Wouford hnnd.
Mid. Devon. 8 m. SE. of Okehampton-195, in a
pretty spot on R. Teign, is a stannary town,
which belonged to Dodo the Saxon, and was
given by the Conqueror to Bp. of Coutances. Acres
8710 ; pop. 1836, of town 1043, some in a woollen
factory ; poor r. 7367., on 56587. (Okehamptn. U.) ;
real prop. 60417. ; charities 447., of which church
lands 307. St. Michael Beet. (Exet.) val. 5397.,
patr. Mrs. G. Haines ; church has tomb of Ch.
Justice Whyddon, who had the manor. Remains
of chapels are found. C. House, B. Fulford, Esq.
Mitt. D. Th. Fairs, last Th. March, Sept. and
Oct. 1st Th. in May.
P. CHAIGLEY hmlt. ( ) Mitton par. Mid. Lan-
cashire, 5 m. W. of Clitheroe-217. Pop. 266.
P. CHAILEY par. (5) Street hund. Lewes rape,
Mid. Sussex, 5 m. N. of Lewes-50. Acres 6580,
part in hops ; pop. 1091 + 6 ; poor r. 6497. ; real
prop. 54397. ; charities, Thomsett's for education,
97. St. Peter Rect. (Chic.) val. 5057., patr. Mrs.
Hepburn and Mrs. Blencowe ; church, early eng.
Chailey P. L. Union, contains the pars. etc. of
Barcombe, Chailey, Chiltington (East), Ditchling,
Hamsey, Newick, Plumpton, Ringmer, Street,
Westmeston, Wivelsfield ; acres 37,040, pop. 7809,
cases relieved (yr. 1846-7) 1312 (out-door 998),
expend. 44737., prop, rated 33,2767. It belongs to
Lewes Sup. Registry.
CHALBURY par. (15) Badbury hund. E. Dorset.
4 m. N. of Wimborne Minster-100, had a chapel
at Didlington, and commands a view of the sea.
Acres 440 ; pop. 152 ; poor r. 537. ( Wimb. U.) ;
real prop. 17227. Living, a Rect. (Sal.) val. 1687.,
patr. Earl of Pembroke.
CHALCOMBE, or CHACOMBE, par. (45) King's
Sutton hund. S W. Northmptn. 8 m. NE. of Ban-
bury-71, near R. Chirwell, had a priory found, in
Hen. II.'s time, by Hugh de Chacombe, and given
to the Foxes. Acres 1730; pop. 488, stocking
makers, with 25 hosiery frames at work ; poor r.
3717. (Banb. U.) ; real prop. 44137. ; charities
41. St. Peter and Paul Vic. (Pet.) val. 2507.,
patr. C. W. Martin, Esq., of C. Priory ; church,
with dec. eng. tower and windows, perp. eng.
porch, fine norman font, and brass of the Trinity
Chalcot (15) 4m. SSW. of Hindon, SW. Wilts.
VV. Long, Esq.
CHALDON par. (8) First Wellington hund. E.
Surrey, 5 m. NE. of Reigate-21, near Brighton
rail. Acres 1380 ; pop. 197 + 2 ; poor r. 637. ( Keig.
U.) ; real prop. 1293/. ; charities 11. St. Peter
Rect. (Wine.) val. 2557., patr. J. Legrew, Esq.
CHALDON-HERRING, or EAST CHALDON, par.
(17) Bindon lib. S. Dorset. 9 m. WSW. of Ware-
ham-115, near the coast, includes C. WEST, once
a separate par. Acres 3000 ; pop. 285 + 1 ; poor r.
1727. (Wareh. U.) ; real prop. 22047. St. Nicho-
las Vic. (Sal.) val. 621., patr. J. Weld, Esq.,
House ( ) near Hemel Hempstead, S.E. Herts.
seat of Mrs. Innes.
CHALE par. (10) W. Medina lib. I. of Wight,
S. Hants. 7 m. S. of Newport-82, Undercliff, in-
cluding Black-gang Chine, on C. Bay (3 m. long),
where the ' Clarendon ' was lost, belonged to Ca-
risbrook priory, and afterwards came to the Pel-
hams. Acres"l880; pop. 610 + 7; poorr. Z. (I.
of W. Incorp.) ; real prop. 3041 1. ; charities 22/.,
to Weeke's school. St. Andrew Rect. (Wine.) val.
334/., patr. Rev. C. Richards. St. Catherine Down
above the church is the highest point (750 ft. at
the beacon) in the island, of which it commands
the entire view ; and has the tower of an old
chantry, on the site of a hermitage, now turned
into a seamark. A landslip of 100 acres took
place at Pitlands 1799, in a frost, and it is re-
ported that Week Down, which formerly cut off
the view of Shanklin Down, is more than 100 ft.
CHALFIELD, GREAT, par. (14) Bradford hund.
W. Wilts. 2 m. NE. of Bradford- 100, on a branch
of R. Avon, contains LITTLE C. and Cottle. Acres
1200 ; pop. 59 ; poor r. 81. (Bradf. U.) ; real prop.
22227, St. Catherine Rect. (Sal.) val. 1627., patr.
Lady Neale. ijgp C., LITLLE, tythg. with Cottles,
ext par. to the above, m. W. Pop. 41 ; poor r. 20/.
P. CIIALFONT-ST. GILES par. (7) Burnham
hund. . Bucks. 3 in. SE. of Amersham-26, on
the Misbourn stream, where Milton, during the
plague of 16G5, wrote his ' Paradise Regained,'
' L'Allegro,' and other pieces. Acres 3550 ; pop.
1228 ; poor r. 837/. (Amersh. U.) ; real prop.
76737.; charities 68Z., of which 58/. to school.
Living, a Rect. (Oxon.) val. 615/., patr. Bishop of
Lincoln ; church, has a square font. The porch
of the house (now tenanted by a tailor) in which
the great poet used to sit, has fallen IB. W. Penn
is buried in the Friends' cemetery. C. House, R.
P. CIIALFONT-ST. PETER par. as above, 2 m.
SE., is a petty sess. town. Acres 4930 ; pop.
1483 + 7, some silk weavers ; poor r. 742/., real
prop. 7280/., charities 22/. Living a Vie. (Oxon.)
val. 73 1/., patr. St. John's Coll. Oxon. ; church b.
1726, with stone facings, from the ruins of Ve-
rulam. Vatch, seat of G. Palliser, Esq., near C.
P. CHALFORD tythg. and hmlt. (34) Minchin-
hampton and Bisley pars. Mid. Gbntcest. 3 m. SE.
of Stroud-101, near Gt. West. rail, on the canal
and a fine part of R. Frome called C. Bottom. Pop.
2000, in the broad cloth trade, which employs
many mills ; real prop. 29477. Living, a Cur. (Gl.
and Br.) val. 1507., patr. Archd. of Gloucester.
Some of the springs are strongly petrifying.
P. CHALFOKD tushp. (13) Aston Rowant par.
SE. Oxford. 3 m. S. of Thame-44. Real prop.
CHALGRAVE par. (46) Manshead hund. SW.
Beds. 5 m. SE. of Woburn-41, contains Tebworth
and Wingfield. Acres 2130 ; pop. 818 + 7 ; poor
r. 3467. (Woburn U.) ; real prop. 42697. ; charities
a share with Hockliffe. All Saints Vic. with
Hockliffe ; church early eng. with effigies.
P. CHALGROVF. par. (13) Ewelme hund. SE.
Oxford. 8 m. SW. of Thame-44, contains Ruf-
ford, near C. Field, where. Hampden was mortally
wounded 1643, in a skirmish with the royalists
under Rupert, and where a memorial was placed
18 June 1843, the 200th anniversary of the day.
Acres 2120; pop. 690 + 15; poor r. "5467. (Thame
U.), real prop. 2652/., charities 977., of which 447. for
church. St. Mary Vic. (Oxon.) val. with Ber-
wick Salome, 2767. ; patr. Chr. Ch. Coll., church
has an 8-sided font, with twisted pillar.
Chalk Farm (1) near Cheshuut, Herts., seat of
G. Walker, Esq. gg- C. Farm (7) under Prim-
rose Hill, NW. London, now de*p6t of N. West,
rail., covering 32 acres, was a spot notorious for
the duels fought there, one of the most fatal of
which was that between Col. Montgomery and
Capt. Macnamara in 1803.
P. CHALK par. (1, 6) Shamwell hund. Avles-
ford lathe, NW. Kent. 2 m. SE.byE. of Graves-
end-22, on the N. Kent rail. Acres 2040,
chalky, with marsh ; pop. 385, some gun-flint
makers ; poor r. 1507. (N. Aylesf. U.) ; real prop.
52737. ; charities 17. St. Mary Vic. (Roch.) val.
1787. patr. Ld. Chancellor; church of flint, with
some curious carvings over the porch, a stone
sedilia, and chantrey. E. Chalk, i m. E. Fair,
CHALK HUNDRED (15) S. Wilts, contains the
pars, of Alvesdiston vie. (with Broad Chalk),
St. John Berwick reel. Bower r. and Broad
Chalk r. Ebbesborne-Wake cur. Fifield-Bavant
r., Semley r. and part of Tollard-Royal r.
Acres 26,610; pop. 3315; houses 649. * C.
DEANERY, archdy. and dioc. of Sarum, contains
the benefices marked in Chalk, Cawden with
Cadworth, and Dunworth hunds. Wilts., with
Bishopstone r., Compton Chamberlayne v., Da-
merham v., Dinton v., Fonthill Bishop, Hindoii
don. c., E. Knoyle r., W. Knoyle v.
CHALKHOUSE GREEN (13) 3 m. N. of Reading
-38, SE. Oxford.
CHALLACOMBE par. (27) Sherwill hund. N.
Devon. 9 m. NE. of Barnstaple-192, on R. Bray.
Acres 5450 ; pop. 305 + 6 ; poor r. 717. (Barnst. U.),
real prop. 20217. ; charities 37. Holy Trinity Rect.
(Exet.) val. 2007., patr. Earl Fortescue.
CHALLOCK par. (3) Felborough hund. Scray
lathe, Mid. Kent. 4 m. N. of Ashford-53. Acres
3620 ; pop. 429 + 6 ; poor r. 2807. (E. Ashford U.) ;
real prop. 22477. ; charities 57. St. Cosmus and
Damian Cur. with Godmersham ; church, has
brass of T. Thorstan (1504). EastweU Pk., Earl
of Winchelsea. Fair 8 Oct
CHALLOW, EAST, chplrv. (13) Letcombe-Regis
par. W. Berks. 1 m. WN*W. of Wantage-60, on
Berks, and W T ilts. canal. Pop. 336 + 1 ; poor r.
2297. (Want. U.) ; real prop. 30547. St. Nicholas
Cur., with Letcombe-Regis. (|g* C. WEST chplrv.
as above, 1 m. W. Pop. 248 + 10 ; poor r. 997. ;
real prop. 12247. St. Lawrence Cur. with Let-
Chalmington House (18) 4 m. W. of Cerne
Abbas, W. Dorset. W. Bower, Esq.
CHALTON hmlt. (46) Toddington par. S. Beds.
3 m. N. of Dunstable-33. Pop. 224 ; real prop.
17057. i|iP CHALTON, or CHAI.KTON, par. (11)
Upper Finch-Dean hund. E. HaiAs. 6 m. S. of
Petersfield-54, near C. Down, contains Idsworth.
Acres 3470, pop. 659 + 10 ; poor r. 1507. (Catho-
rington U.), real prop. 13237. St. Michael Rect.
(Wine.) val. with Clanfield and Idsworth 5807.,
patr. King's Coll. Camb.
CHAI.VEY chplrv. (7) Upton par. S. Bucks.
2 m. N. of Windsor-22, near Gt. West. rail. Pop.
CHALVINGTON par. (5) Shiplakc hund. Pevensey
rape, SE. Sussex, 4 m. W. of Hailsham-59, near
R. Cuckraere. Acres 1690 ; pop. 192 ; poor r. 227/.
(W. Firle U.) ; real prop. 1097/. St. Bartholomew
Rect. (Chic.) val. 176/., patr. A. E. Fuller, Esq.;
church, decorated eng.
Chamber Hall (89) N. side of Bury, SE. Lan-
cash. W. Hardman, Esq., fonnerly seat of the
late Sir R. Peel, Bt, who was born close to it,
1788-1850. g^ C. House Farm (12) 3 m. E. of
Newbury, S. Berks.
Chambers' Court ( ) near Longdon, Worcestsh.
Mrs. Mainwaring. igp C. Green (3) 5 m. WN W.
of Ashford, Mid. Kent, a meet for E. Kent hounds.
CHAMBOIS tnshp. ( ) Bedlington par. Durham,
locally in Nortiimbrld. 2 m. N. of Blythe-288, on
the coast. Pop. 109.
Champion Lodge (7) at Camberwoll, S. London,
seat of Lady de Crespigny. C.Hill, J. Goldsmid, Esq.
Champions ( ) near , Herts, seat of W
Champneys (46) 2 m. WNW. of Berkhamp-
P. CHANCE-INN vil. Ceres par. Mid. Fife, 2 m.
SW. of Cupar-32. Pop. 132.
Chancellor's Town (77) near Clonmel, S. Tip-
Chanderic's Rocks (11) in Lough Strangford,
N. Down, 2 m. W. of Grey Abbey.
Chandler's Cross (7) 3 m. N. of Rickmans worth,
Chandlersford (11) 2m. WNW. of Bishopstoke,
S W. Hants, on S. West, branch rail, to Salisbury.
CHANDLINGS ext. par. (13) Hornier hund. N.
Berks, near Abingdon-56. Pop. 11.
Chanes Isld. in Scalloway bay, SW. Shetld.
Islds. 3 m. SSE. of Skelda ness.
Channel, The, or British or English Channel,
between England and France, called 'La Manche,'
i. e. the Sleeve, by the French, and Oceanus Bri-
tannicus bv the Romans, stretches from a line from
Dover to C. Grisnez (18 m. long) to one from the
Land's End to Roches de Porcal (97 m.) near Aber-
vach, washes the coasts of Kent, Sussex, Hants.
Dorset. Devon. Cornwall, includes the Channel
Islds., I. of Wight, Scilly islds.,and contains about
23,900 geog. sq. m. A line at the mouth, or ' chops,'
from 49 20' N. (the parallel where ships usually
enter) to the middle of Straits of Dover, lies
WSW. i W. and ENE. E., and is 280 m. long.
Greatest breadth (Sidmouth to St. Malo) 128 m.,
average above Beachy Head 38, thence to Port-
land 67, and below it 83, general average 70.
At the Straits, where the submarine telegraph
crosses, a chalk ridge (12 to 30fath. deep) shoot-
ing up at the Ridge and Varne banks (only
1 to 4 fath.) joins the two countries, thence
the depths gradually increase to 60 fath. down
the Channel (as well as up the N. Sea) inter-
rupted by the E. and W. Vergoyer banks (3 to
5 tilth.) off Boulogne, and several hollows (5 to
30 fath. deeper than the neighbouring parts)
called the W., XW., S. and Kurd's, Deeps (about
lat. 50 N., and long. to 3' W.) the bottom
throughout being chiefly coarse gravelly ground.
In-shore the depths are 15 to 22 fath. to Dunge-
ness, 12 to 22 to Beachy, 15 to 55 to Prawle
Point, 35 to 45 to the Lizard. Length of the
English coast about 390 m , with several good
harbours, and lights at S. Foreland, Dungeness,
Beachy, Owers, and Bembridge (floating), Needles
(469 ft. high), St. Alban's Head, Portland, Start
Point, Eddystone, Lizard, Longships, Seven
(floating), Scilly; the French coast is
510 m., with one tolerable haven at Havre, a
strongly fortified dockyard at Cherbourg, inside
a breakwater of 2| m. ; and lights at C. Grisnez,
Cayeux, la Heve, Dieppe, Barfleur, Cherbourg,
La Hogue, the Caskets or Casquets, Frekel,
Heaux de Brehat, Isle Bas, Ushant. Old forts of
Hen. VIII. and Elia. are at Dover, Calshot, South-
sea, Hurst, Portland, Weymo', etc. ; and the flat
coasts of Kent and Sussex between Eastwear bay
and Seaford are defended by 74 martello towers,
b. in the late war they are of brick, round, 40 ft.
diam. (at bottom, 30 at top), 30 high, bomb-
proof, and mounted with a swivel, and are about
i m. apart. Along the english side are Dover
(anct. Portus Dubris) with its harb., breakwater,
and Castle hill (460 ft. of chalk) ; Folkstone hill,
575 ft. (chalk) ; Roar and Swallow banks in E.
Bay; Dungeness; Rye harb. at R. Rother's
mouth (Portus Nouns') and Stephenson's bank, in
W. Bay ; Winchelsea and Hastings (cliffs about
230 ft. high) ; Beachy Head (582 ft.) at the end of
the S. Chalk Downs, with the Rattan, Sovereign,
and Holywell shoals off it; Newhaven at R.