ALLOWENSIIAY hmlt. (18) Kingston par. SE.
Somerset. 2 m. NNW. of Ilchester-121 ; pop. 212.
ALLSAINTS' par. (46-47. 54-5) Raphoe bar.
E. Donegal, 4 m. N. of St. Johnstown-151, be-
tween R. Foyle and L. Swilly, is a petty sess.
town. Acres 9674, good land, with stone quarries ;
pop. 4280 + 11. Living, a Cur. (Dy. R.) val. 897.,
patr. Incumbent of Taughbovne.
Allsaints' Isld. (26) in L/Ree, SW. Longford,
had a monastery founded by the Dillons.
ALLSCOT tnshp. (61) Worfield par. E. Salop. 2
m. NNE. of Bridgnorth-139, near the Severn.
ALLSCOTT tnshp. (61) Wrockwardine par. 3 m.
W T NW. of Wellington-1 42, on R. Tern. Pop. 94.
P. ALLSTONEFIELD par. (72) X. Totmonslow
hund..ZVJE7. Stafford. 11 m. NE. of Cheadle-146,
on R. Dove, containing Elkstone, Longuor, Quarn-
forcl and Warslow, Curs, and 4 tnshps. belongs to
Duchy of Lancaster, and is the place where Cotton,
who lived at Beresford Hall, built a fishing-house
and he and I. Walton delighted to ramble. Acres
21,860, of town with Stanhope 2700 ; pop. 4701,
and 654 + 1, in the coal, copper, lead mines, silk-
mill, and Fairfield Head and Heathy Lee button
factories ; poor r. 5391. on 12,6137. ; real prop.
45267. ; charities 547. St. Peter Vic. (Lich.) val.
3007. ; patr. Sir J. Crewe, Bt. of Caulke abbey ;
church, early eng. with a pinnacled tower.
ALL STRETTON. See STRETTON, ALL, Salop,
AUstuds (47) 4 m. NNE. of Chelmsford, Mid.
ALLT tnshp. (60) Berriew par. E. Montgomery.
3 m. NW. of Montgomery-168. Pop. 17. ' Allt '
or ' alt ' a hill.
Alltgoch Hill (57) near Lampeter, S W. Cardi-
gan, on the Sam Helen way, has some druid
>tones on it.
ALLTGREIG hrnlt. (37) Llanguick par. W.
Glamorgan. 5 m. NW. of Neath-198. Pop. 1078.
ALLTGYMBYD tnshp. (79) Llanarmon par. Mid.
Denbigh. 9 m. WNW. of Wrexham-179. Pop. 16.
ALLT.MAWR par. (42) Builth hund. N. Brecon.
3 m. SE. of Builth-73, on R. Wye. Pop. 34 ; poor
r. 107. (Builth U.) ; real prop. 2307. Living, a Cur.
(St. Dav.) val. 487., patr. Vicar of Llanafan-fawr.
ALLTON tnshp. (71) Worksworth par. Mid.
Derby. 2 m. S. of Worksworth-140, is joined to
Alltrynes or Altyrinys (42) 13 m. NW. of
Monmouth, SW. Hereford, where R. Honddy
joins the Munnow, was an ancient seat of the
Sitsylts or Cecils.
AXLTYGAR hmlt. (41) Llangathen par. Mid.
Carmarthen. 3 m. W. of Llandilofawr-202.
Alltygoed (48) 3 m. N.W. of Cardigan, N. Pem-
Alltyr-odyn (41) 9 m. WSW. of Lampeter, S.
Cardigan, on R. Cletwr, Lloyd, Esq. has some
old welsh MSS. and Castell Hywel in the grounds,
near an old moat.
AUua, or Allo, River, the " strong Allo " of Spen-
cer, rises in the Mullogharevik mountns, Limerick,
and falls with R. Dallua into the Blackwater, near
Kanturk, N. Cork. $S" AUua Lough (81) near
the source of R. Lee, 1 m. W. of Inchagela, W.
Cork, is 4 m. long.
ALLWESTON hmlt. (18) Folke par. N. Dorset.
2 m. SE. of Sherborne-117. Real prop. 27017.
ALMELEY par. (56) Stretford and Wolphy
hunds. W. Hereford. 4m. W. of Weobly-145,
on Kington tram rail, includes 2 tnshps. Acres
3630 ; pop. 642 ; poor r. 2857. (Weob. U.) ; real
prop. 35967. ; charities 27. St. Mary Vic. (Heref.)
val. 2547., patr. Bishop ; church, had a chantry.
ALMER par. (15) Loosebarrow hund. E. Dorset.
5 m. SSE. of Blandford-103, on a branch of
R. Stonr, contains Mapperton. Acres 1520 ; pop.
189+1; poor r. 1257. (Blandf. U.) ; real prop.
15027. St. Mary Rect. (Sal.) val. 2847., patr.
T. S. Drax, Esq. of Charborough, who has the
manor. flSP A. COOMBE tythg. Sturminster
Marshall par. near the above.
ALMHOLME hmlt. (87) Bentley par. W. R.
York. 3 m. NNE. of Doncaster-162, near R. Don.
ALMINGTON tnshp. (73) Drayton-in-Halcs ]., t r.
W. Stafford. 1 m. E. of Mkt. Drayton-153, on
R. Tern, was a lordshp. of the Butlers. Pop.
189. A. Hall, .
ALMINGTON, or AMINGTON, tnshp. (62) with
Stony Delph. Tamworth par. N. Warwick. 2 m.
NE. of Tatnworth-115, on R. Anker, near Midld
count, rail, and Coventry canal. Pop. 276 + 1
real prop. 87737. Living, a Cur. (Wore.) val. 207,
patr. Capt. A'Court. A. Hall, C. Repington, Esq.
formerly the Clintons' seat.
P. ALMOND BANK vil. Methven par. E. Perth.
4 m. NW. of Perth-40, on A. River as below.
Pop. 245. gr A. Park (73) 2 m. N. of Shrews-
bury, Mid. Salop.
Almond River rises near Shots, N. Lanark, and
runs NE. about 22 m. over several falls through
some fine scenery, past Whitburn, Blackburn,
Livingston (where it receives Briech Water and
forms the border line of Linlthgw. and Edinb.
where witches were burnt), Mid. Calder, and
Kirkliston, to the Frith of Forth at Cramond or
Caer-almond. It is crossed by Glasgow rail,
and Union canal, produces trout, and turns many
mills. gip A., or Abnon, River rises near Tay,
Mid. Perth, and runs E. about 22 m. to R. Tay
at the roman Orrea near Perth, through the wild
Glen A. which has several remains and the burial-
place of Ossian.
ALMODINGTON tythg. (9) Earnley and Siddle-
ham pars. S W. Sussex, 4 MX. SSW. of Chichester
-62, near Pagham harb., was once a par. Church,
P. ALMONDBURY par. (88) Upper Agbrigg wap.
W. R. York. 2 m. SE. of Huddersfield-189, near
the canal, the rail, to Manch. and R. Colne, con-
taining S. Crossland, Farnley-Tyas, Holme, Hon-
ley, Linthwaite,. Lockwood, Marsden, Meltham,
and Meltham Mills, Upper and Nether Thong,
Milnes Bridge, and Armitage Bridge Curs, and 8
tnshps. and hmlts. was the roman Campodunum
and a saxon royal town,. and has remains of a castle.
Acres-30,140, of town 2550 ; pop.37,315 + 671 and
8828 + 174, in the cotton and woollen factories and
coalpits ; poor r. 8777. on 15,2627. (Huddersf. U.) ;
real prop. 15,2597.; charities 4237. of which 757. to
free gram, school, Wormall's for apprentices 1687.
Nettleton's for bridges, marriage portions, etc.,
1387. All Saints Vic. (Rip.) val. 2327., patr. Govs.
of Clitheroe school.
P. ALMONDSBURY par. (35) Lower Langley,
Thornbury, and Berkeley bunds. S W. Gloucest.
4 m. SW. of Thornbury-124, near Brist. and
Birm. rail, under the Cotswolds, containing
Hempton, Tockington, and 4 other tythgs. is
the place where, they say, Alcmond, K. Egbert's
father, was buried. Acres 6950, of tythg. 1900,
with lias ; pop. 1584 + 9 and 603 + 9 ; poor r.
4987. on 13,8637. (Thornb. U.) ; real prop. 33657. ;
charities 2557., of which, church lands 2367., with
a poor's house. St. Mary Vic. (Gl. and Br.) val.
5687., patr. Bishop ; church, cruciform and early
eng. with a fine W. door, was a cell to St. Au-
gustine's priory, Bristol. Knole House, W. Mas-
ters, Esq. has a good view.
ALMORITIA. See BALLYMORIN, Westmeath.
ALMSFORD, or ANSFORD, par. (19) Catsash
hund. E. Somerset, close to Castle Cary-113, near
R. Brue. Acres 920; pop. 293; poor r. 1187.
(Wincanton U.) ; real prop. 7. St. Andrew's
Rect. (Ba. and W.) val. 2977,, patr. F. Woodforde,
Esq. of A. Park.
Almshoebury (146) 1 m. W. of Stevenage, N.
Alnapest Hill (77) 7 m. W. of Stranorlar, Mid.
Donegal, 1199 ft. high, near R. Finn.
ALNE par. ( ) Bulmer wap. N. R. York. 4 m.
SW. of Easingwold-212, a station on Yk. and
lU-nvk. rail. 11 m - from York, contains Ald-
wark, Flawith, Tholthorp. Acres 10,250, of
town 2220; pop. 1703 + 55, and 494 + 8; poor
r. 877. (Easingw. U.) ; real prop. 28357. ; cha-
rities 471. St. Mary Vic. (York) val. 415Z.,
pair. C. Codrington, Esq. M. P. A. House,
S. Strangewayes, Esq.
ALNE, GREAT, par. (54) Barlichway hund. W.
Warwick. 2 m. NE. of Alcester-103, on A. River,
which rises near Umberslade Park, and runs SW.
about 12 m. near Henley-in-Arden, to the Arrow
at Alcester. Acres 162*0; pop. 404 + 61; poor r.
1947. (Alcest. U.) ; real prop. 1. ; charities 28/.
St. M. Magdalen Cur. with Kinwarton. flip A.,
LITTLE, hmlt. Aston Cantilow par. 2 m. NE. of the
above. Pop. 80.
Alne River ( ) rises near Alnham, Mid. North-
mbrld, and runs E. and SE. about 16 m. past
Alnwick to the N. Sea at Alnmouth.
AIJSESBOURNE PRIORY ext par. (48) Nacton
par. SE. Suffolk. 4 m. SE. of Ipswich-69, near
P. ALNESS par. E. Ross. 9 m. W. of Cromarty
-185, where A. Water joins Cromarty Frith, con-
tains Lochs Glaas and Moir. Size" 12 m. by 4,
part arable with hilly sheepwalks and traces of
iron- and silver; pop. 1269, ofvil. 202, gaelic-
speaking and decreasing ; real prop. 43257. ; for
poor 3197. Living (Presb. Dingwall) val. 2317.,
patr. Hon. W. Mackenzie, heritor. Navar, Sir H.
Alney Isld. (43) in R. Severn, close to Glou-
cester, Mid. Glouc. where Edmd. Ironsides and
Canute agreed to divide the kingdom, after single
P. ALNHAM par. ( ) N. Coquetdale ward, Mid.
Northmbrld. 7 m. NW. of Rothbury-304, near R.
Alne, containing Prendick, Screnwood, and Un-
thank, has remains of a double-ditched roman
camp, etc. on the moors. Acres 10,360 ; pop. 256,
of town 141 ; poor r. 461. (Rothb. U.) ; real prop.
4052/1 St. Michael Vic. (Dur.) val. 1807,, patr.
Duke of Northumberland; church, near the camp.
P. AJLNMOUTH, or ALEMOUTH, tnshp. ( ) Les-
Lury par. E. Northmbrld. 4 m. SW. of Alnwick
-308, near Yk. and Berwk. rail., a email sub-
port to Berwick and bathing-place at R. Alne's
mouth on A. Bay. Pop. 480 + 7, in a little coast-
ing trade; poor r. 1167. (Alnw. U.). The church
having been washed away, its site is now an island.
Bones of horses were once found, which gave rise
to a story that giants lived here.
P. M. S. ALNWICK par. ( ) E. Coquetdale
ward, NE. Northmbrld. 16 m. N. of Newcastle,
308 from London, or 342 by Yk. and Berwk. rail.,
containing A. SOUTH SIDE tnshp. (pop. 498),
Abbey Lands, Canongate, Denwick, Hulme Park,
and 7 limits., is an assize, sessions, election,
and polling town, on R. Alne, founded by the
Romans, and was the Ealnwic of the Saxons;
was given at the Conquest to Ivo de Vesco, from
whom it came to the De Vescis, who found,
the abbey 1147, and to the Percys (1310) who
walled it and reb. the castle 1411, prior to which
it was besieged (1093) by Malcolm of Scotland,
who with his son was slain before it ; captured
1135 by David of Scotld., attempted 1174 by
William the Lion (who was taken prisoner), burnt
by K. John 1215, and also by the Scots 1448 ; is
a borough by prescription, governed by 4 cham-
berlains and 24 council, elected by the'lO trades,
the freemen of which are chosen on St. Mark's
day, after passing through the " freemen's well,"
a muddy pool on the town moor, and riding the
bounds. Acres 16,260,with lime and stone quarries ;
pop. 6626, of town 4945, tanners, brewers, brick
and tile makers. Houses 749, with 2 churches,
7 chapels, townhall (b. 1731) and market-place,
ho. of correction, 4 banks, savings bank, gas and
water works, tanneries, breweries, 3-arched stone
bridge and another (b. by the Percys), clock-
house at Pottingate like St. Nicholas' at New-
castle, Bondgate (b. by Hotspur), library (1783),
mechanics' institute "(1824) and lecture- room,
gram, school (127.), mathemat. school (10/1), dis-
pensary, the Percy column (83 ft. high), Camp
hill pillar put up at the peace 1814. Poor r. 2386/.
on 25,401/1 ; real prop. /. ; charities 597. St.
Mary and St. Michael Cur. (Dur.) val. 175/. ;
church, later eng. with richly groined chancel,
carved stalls, and old effigies in S. aisle. St.
Paul Cur., val. 200/., patr. of both, Duke of
Northumberland, of A. Castle, which stands on
the site of a roman camp by the river, and <*
restored covers 5 acres within the walls, which
are flanked by 16 towers ; some norman traces
are still seen, and in the park are the gate and
tower of Eustace Fitz-John's premonstratensian
abbey (val. 1947.), which came to the Brandlings
and Doubledays Brisley hill pillar (90ft. high)
with a fine prospect the site of St. Leonard's
hosp^ Hulme abbey ruins (of which Bale was
a brother) founded by a crusader, in a spot like
Mount Carmel the figure of a hermit Mal-
colm's Cross, reb. 1774, where he fell, by the
Duch. of N. a descendant. Martin of Aln. a friar,
and Bp. William of Aln. (about 1430) were na-
tives; the co. militia have their head quarters
here, and it gives title of Baron Lovaine of Aln.
to Earl Beverley, a Percy. A branch rail, of 3 m.
is making to Lesbury on the main line. Aln. P.
L. Union contains the pars, (with their tnshps.)
of Alnwick, Edlingham, Eglingham, Embleton,
Felton, Long Houghton, Howick, Lesbury, Ren-
nington, Rock, Shilbottle, Warkworth ; acres
87,605, pop. 18,768, cases relieved (yr. 1846-7)
1951 (out-door 1795), expend. 6003Z., prop, rated
115,054/., poor ho. at Alnmouth. The Sup. Re-
gistry comprises the same? pop. 18,799+157,
deaths from cholera 1848-9, 112. New County
Court district corresponds with the Registry. >i
A. DEANERY, archdy. of Lindisfarne, dioc. of
Durham, includes the benefices marked in S.
Bamboro', and E. Coquetdale wards, with
Edlinghain v. Mkt. D. Sat. Fairs, Palm
Sund. eve, pedlery; 12 May, last Mond. July,
1st Tues. Oct. 28 Oct. Sat. before Christm. cattle,
ALOESBRIDGE HUNDRED (4) Shepway lathe,
SE. Kent, in Romney Marsh, contains the pars, of
Brookland, Fairfield, Snargate, Snave, and part
of Brenzett ; acres 7240, pop. 758, houses 132.
ALPEBTON hmlt. (7) Harrow-on-the-Hill par.
Mid. Middlesex, 8m. WNW. of St. Paul's, near
N. West rail. Paddington canal, and R. Brent.
Alpes (ad) Peninas of the Romans, is Brough-
ton, near Shipton, W. R. York, on the great al-
pine ridge of limestone.
Alpety, 4 m. NW. of Bervie, SE. Kincardine.
ALPHAMSTONE par. (47) Hinckford hund. N.
Essex, 4m. S. of Sudbury-54, near R. Stour.
Acres 1440 ; pop. 314 + 4; poor r. 108/. (Sudb. U.) ;
real prop. 26537, ; charities 13/. Living, a Rect.
(Roch.) val. 257/., patr. Ld. Chancellor.
ALPHETON par. (51) Babergh hund. SW. Suf-
folk, 6 m. N. of Sudbury-54, on a branch of R.
Stour, is a meet for the Suffk. hounds. Acres
2250 ; pop. 321 + 2 ; poor r. 1927. (Sudb. U.) ; real
prop. I. ; charities 21. Living, a Rect. (Ely) val.
275/., patr. J. Hodgson, Esq.
P. ALPHINGTON par. (22) Wonford hund. E.
Devon. 2 m. S. of Exeter-164, near S. Devon,
rail, and R. Exe, has an ancient cross. Acres
2720; pop. 1286 + 5; poor r. 4207. (St. Thomas
U.) ; real prop. 9206/. ; charities 29/. and some
poor's cottages. St. Michael Itect. (Exct.) val. i
852/., patr. Rev. R. Ellicombe, rector; church j
has a norman pillar font. A. House, . Fairs,
1st Thurs. June, 14 Oct. horses, cattle.
ALPINGTON par. (66) Lodclon hund. SE. Nor-
folk, 5 m. NW. of Loddon-112, is a Beet, with
Yelverton. Acres 630 ; pop. 197; poor r. 49/.
(Loddon U.) ; real prop. 17221. A.Hall, .
ALFORT hmlt. (81) Rowsley and Youlgreave
tnshps. NW. Derby. 5 m. NSW. of Castleton-
164, on A. Brook, which rises near Bleaklow
Stones in the Peak, and runs to the Ashop, at
Gillop Hey, near A. Rocks, 980 ft. high, with a
fine prospect. Tufa, for rock-work, etc. is sent
ALPRAHAM tnshp. (80) Bunbury par. Mid,
Cheshire, 6 m. NW. of Nantwich-164, near
Chest, and Crewe rail, and Birm. canal. Acres
1800 ; pop. 520 + 10 ; poor r. 163/. (Nantw. U.) ;
real prop. 2947Z.
P. ALRESFORD par. (48) Tendring hund. NE.
Essex, 5 m. SE. of Colchester-51, at the ' ford,'
on a branch of R. Colne. Acres 1640 ; pop. 289 ;
poor r. 1011. (Tendr. U.) ; real prop. 2188/. ; cha-
rities 1Z. St. Peter Sect. (Roch.) val. 3071., patr.
P. M. ALRESFORD, or ALSFORD, NEW, pat.
(11-2') Alton divis. Mid. Hants. 7m. ENE. of
Winchester, 57 from London, or 75 by S. West,
rail, a petty sessions town, on R. Itching, given
by Kenowalch of Wessex to the bps. of Win-
chester, returned one member to the parls. 23 and
35 Edw. I., and was bunit in 1690, 1710, and 1736.
Acres 1250 ; pop. 1578 + 14, some in the linsey
manufacture ; houses 279, with 2 chapels, bank,
savings bk., Perrin's gram, school (149/.) founded
1690, and Union p. house ; poor r. 710/. on 3250/. ;
real prop. 5506J. ; charities 166/. Living, a Rect.
with Old Alresford. A. Pond, of 200 acres, was
formed by Bp. Lucy, in K. John's time, and the
river made navigable to the town, but at present
it is useful only to Winchester. Abp. Howley, a
native, 1765-1848 ; Tichbourne Hall is an old seat.
Aires. P. L. Union contains the pars, marked *
in the Deanery below, with Kilmiston, Northing-
ton, Ropley, Tichborne, Beauworth ; acres 36,084,
pop. 7092, cases relieved (yr. 1846-7) 1116 (out-
door 930), expend. 4707/., prop, rated 31,036/.
Sup. Registry comprises the same (except Beau-
worth), with a pop. of 7094 + 12, and belongs to
the \V inchester New County Court district. * A.
DEANERY, archdy. and dioc. of Winton, includes
*Alresford r., Avington r., *Bighton r., Bradley r.,
*Bramdean r., *Brown Candover r., *Cheriton r.,
*Chilton Candover r., Easton r., Hinton Admiral c.,
*H. Ampner r.,*Itchenstoket>. ,1. Abbot's r.,*Oving-
ton r., Preston Candover v., *Sutton Bishop v.,
Swarreton r., *W. Tisted c., Wield c. , Worthy
King's r., Worthy Martyr, r. Mkt.D. Thurs. for
grain, and every Th. from 10 Oct. to Christmas for
sheep. Fairs, last Sat. April, Holy Th. 5 July, 1st
Th. after Michaelm. for cattle, pedlery.
ALRESFORD, OLD, par. Fawley hund, close to
the above. Acres 3660 ; pop. 502 + 5 ; poor r. 480J.
(Alresf. U.) ; real prop. 3951/. ; charities 21. St.
Alary Rect. (Win.) val. with New A. and Medsted,
1594/., patr. Bishop ; church, reb. 1753, has a good
tower. Old A. House, Earl of Guilford, belongs
to Lord Rodney, whose ancestor, the Admiral,
P. ALREWAS par. ("62) N. Offlow hund. E.
Stafford. 5 m. NE. of Lichfield-119, a station on
Midld. rail., on Gd. Trunk canal, and Ryknield
St. near Rs. Trent and Tame, containing t radley,
Orgreave, and Overley, was given to Lichf.
cathedral 822. Acres 4350 ; pop. 1658 + 5, some
;n the worsted-mill ; poor r. 356/. (Lichf. U.) ;
real prop. 6722Z. ; charities 26/. All Saints Vic.
(Lich.) val. 328/., patr. the Prebendary, ^g- A.
HAYES ext. par. near the above. Acres 1680,
formerly common, now reclaimed ; pop. 92 + 2 ;
real prop. 1849/.
ALSAGER chplry. (73) Barthomley par. 8E.
Cheshire, 4 m. SSE. of Sandbach-162, a stat. on
N. Staftl. rail., near Trunk canal and R. Wenlock.
Acres 2360; pop. 445; poor r. 1151. (Congleton
U.) ; real prop. 3722Z. ; charities 411. to free school,
etc. Living, a Cur. (Ches.) val. 100/., patr. Land-
Alscot Park (54) 2 m. SSE. of Stratford-on-
Avon. NE. Gloucester. J. West, Esq. on the
Moreton tram rail, and R. Stour.
Alsh Loch, at the head of Sleet Sound between
Ross, and Inverness, is 6 m. by 2, and near Ellan-
donan cast., an old seat of the Mackenzies.
ALSOP-LE-DALE chplry. (72) with Kat on, Ash-
borne par. W. Derby. 6 m. NNW. of Ashborne
-139, nearR. Dove. Pop. 67. Living, a Cur.
(Lich.) val. 49/., patr. Inhabitants, etc.
ALSTOE HUNDRED (65) N.Rutland, contains
the pars, of Ashwell r., Burley v., Cottesmore r.,
Exton v. T Greetham v., Horn, Market Overton r.,
Stretton r., Teigh r., Thistleton, Whissendine v.,
and Whitwell r. ; acres 27,900, pop. 4736, houses
920. See RUTLAND DEANERY.
P. M. ALSTON, or A. MOOR, par. ( ) Leath
ward, E. Cumbrld. 21 m. ESE. of Carlisle, 272
from London, or 300 by rail, thro' Preston, a poll-
ing and petty sessions town, containing Garrowgil
and Nenthead Curs, on a (now) well wooded hill
side, by R. South Tyne, near the Maiden Way,
under Middle Fell, is famous for its lead mines,
which also produce silver and copper, and was
forfeited by the Radcliffes 1715, to Greenwich
hosp. Acres 35,060, for the most part moorland,
with thousands of black-faced sheep ; pop. 6062,
of town 1650, decreasing, in about 40 mines,
furnaces, and in the shot, thread, and woollen ma-
nufactures ; houses 914, with 3 chapels, bank, sa-
vings bk., library, stone bridge, gram, school (22/.),
another school (3/.), and Union p. house ; poor
r. 126U on 9795Z. ; real prop. 25.748Z. ; charities
87/. of which 6Z. to Garrowgil school. St. Austin
Vic. (Dur.) val. with Garrowgil 139/., patr. Green-
wich hosp. ; church, reb. 1770. An underground
canal 5 m. long goes to Nenthead shaft ; and the
caverns of mountain limestone abound with, spars,
crystals, and minerals. Alst. P. L. Union con-
tains the above par.; cases relieved (yr. 1846-7)
424 (outdoor 356). Sup. Registry comprises the
same, and constitutes the New County Court
district. Mkt. D. Sat. Fairs, last Th. May, Frid.
before last day Sept. 1st Th. Nov. .Races," Easter
Alston (82) 4 m. SSW. of Chesterfield, Mid.
Derby. ^ Alston (23) 4 m. ENE. of Kings-
bridge, SE. Devon. (3" ALSTON tnshp. ( )
Ribchester par. Mid. Lancash. 7 m. NE. of Pres-
ton-217, near Long Ridge fell. Pop. 807 ; poor r.
2631. (Prest U.) ; real prop. 4300/. A. Lodge,
W. Blanslwrd Esq. of Grimsargh. $3" A. Sutton
(19) 2 m. SW. of Axbridge, N. Somerset.
ALSTONE tythg. (44) Cheltenham par. Mid.
Gloucester, close to Cheltenham-95, on Glouc,
and Birm. rail., has a mineral spring, and A.
Villa, . ^- ALSTONE hmlt. ( ) Gnosall
par. Mid. Staffd. 5 m. SW. of Stafford-141. flgp
ALSTONE ch-jlry. (44) Overbury par. Worcester.
locally in Gxncester. 4 m. NW. of Winchcomb-95,
near the Cotswolds. Pop. 89+1. St. Margaret
Cur. with Overbury.
AI.STONEFIELD. See ALLSTONEFIELD, Staffd.
Alsthorpe (82) 8 m. NE. of Chesterfield. NE.
ALT hmk. (88) Knott Lanes distr. SE. Lan-
cash. near Ashton-nnder-Lyne-186.
Alt River (89-90) rises near Knowsley Park,
5 W. Lancash. and runs NW. about 12 m. to the
Irish Sea, near Formby Point.
Altadore (12) near Newtown Mount Kennedy,
NE. Wicklow, Rev. L. W. Hepenstal, with a beau-
tiful glen called the Hermitage, and a waterfall.
' Alt,' high, or a hill.
Altamira (7) 6 m. SW. of Charleville, N.
Cork, PurceU, Esq.
Altamont (25) near Rathnew, E. Wicklow.
ALTARNUN par. (25) Lesnewth hund. E. Corn-
wall, 7 m. WSW. of Launceston-213, in a fine
spot, on a branch of R. Inny, at R. Lynher
head, near Brown Willey, is the largest par.
in the county, including Bolwentor Cur., Trewint,
Tredawl, etc. Acres 13,840 (or .12,770), granite
and hornblende, with stream tin ; pop. 1334 + 27 ;
poor r. 4417. (Launc. U.) ; real prop. 6820/. ;
charities Gl. St. Nunn Vic. (Exet.) val. 320/.,
patr. Dean and Chap. ; church, has a high tower
(higher than any except Probus), and the grave
of St. Nunn, the mother of St. David of Wales.
P. Jowle, the clerk here Ch. II.'s time, died 150
yrs. old. Trelawney, or ' oak place,' gave name
to that ancient family. Fairs, 2nd Mond. after 24
June, 1st Tues. Nov.
Altavawn Glen, 6 m. NETS, of Omagh-109.
N. Tyrone, a fine spot between Slievemore and
Munterlong, watered by the Ovenkillew, which
runs to the Strule.
Altavig Islds. NE. coast of Skye, W. Inverness.
near Aird Point.
Altavilla (20) 3 m. NNW. of Rathkeale, JV.
Limerick, J. Bateman, Esq. giP Altavilla (75)
near Cahir, S. Tipperary.
ALTBACH tnshp. (43) Hentland par. S. Here-
ford. 4 m. NW. of Ross-120.
Alibeagh (26) near Stradone, Mid. Cavan.
ALTCAR par. (90) W. Derby hund. S W. Lan-
cash. 6 m. WSW. of Qnnskirk-19, near R.
Alt, contains LITTLE A'., hmlt. Acres 3580,
partly marsh ; pop. 49(t; poor r. 114/. (Ormsk.
U.) ;" real prop. 67197. ; charities 71. ; St. Michael
Cur. (Ches.) val. 957., patr. Earl of Sefton, of
Alte Cadno (41) near Llandilofawr, E. Car-
mrthn., Sir W. Clayton, Bt.
Alterstone ( ) 7 m. N W. of Shap, ~N. Westmrld.
Altfllo (42) near Llanvillo, N.E. Brecon, has
a british oval camp, 208 yds. by 46.
ALTHAM chplry. (89) Whalley par. Mid. Lan~
cash. 4 m. W. of Burnley-211, near Leeds and
Liverp. canal, on R. Henburn. Acres 1160, with
coal mines ; pop. 349 ; poor r. 1627. (Burnl. U.) ;
real prop. 87997. St. James Cur. (Manch.) val.
117/., patr. R. T. R. Walton, Esq. of Marsden.
P. Althorne par. (2) Denzie hund. E. Essex,
6 m. S.E. of Maldon-37, in the marshes, near
R. Crouch, from which it is protected by dykes
made by Dutchmen, whose descendants live here.
Acres 2000 ; pop. 418 + 6 ; poor r. 1797. ; (Maid.
U.) ; real prop. 2731/. ; charities 21. ; St. Andrew
Vic. with Cricksea.
ALTHORPE par. (86) W. Manley wap. N. W.
Lincoln. 5 m. NE, of Epworth-156, where
Keadby canal and the Rs. New Idle and New
Thome join the Trent, contains Amcolts, Keadby,
andDerrythorpe. Acres 5460 ; pop. 1184 + 20, of
town 366 + 5 ; poor r. 557. (Thome U.) ; real
prop. 24917. ; charities 51. and a poor's house. St.
Oswald Beet. (Line.) value 400?., patr. Crown.
Althorpe Park (53) ext. par. Nobottle Grove
hund. Mid. Northmptn. 5 m. NW. of Northampton-
66, seat of Earl Spencer, to whom it gives the
title of viscount, contains one of the most valu-
able libraries in the country, collected by George