good stone and shell marl. Pop. 1203 ; real prop.
8891/. ; for poor 449J. Living (Presb. Chirnside)
vaL 247/., patr. Sir J. Hall, Bt of Whitehall ;
Ninewells, Home, Esq. ; Idington, Hay of
Dunse. A roman millstone and urns have been
found. Fair, last Thurs. Nov. linen, sacking,
ifc C. PRESBYTERY, synod of Merse and Teviot-
dale, includes Ayton, Chirnside, Coldingham,
Coldstream, Edrom, Eyemouth, Foulden, Hutton,
Ladykirk, Mordington, Swinton, Whitsome. Ditto
Free Cliurch, see DUNSE.
CHIRTON tnshp. ( ) Tynemouth par. SE.
Northmbrld. 1 m. W. of Shields-276, on the rail,
and R. Tyne. Pop. 4360, decreasing the colleries
being worked out; poor r. 7817. (Tyncm. U.).
Chisamil Bay, S. side of Barra, Western Islds.,
has the ruined walls, keep, etc., of the M'Neill's
C/ilsbury Castle (14) 6 m. SE. of Marlborough,
E. Wilts, a camp on the Wansdyke, which goes
CmsELBonouGH par. (18) Iloundsborough
hund. 8. Somerset. 5 m. W. of Yeovil-123, on E.
Parret. Acres 810; pop. 540 +14; poor r. 117/.
(Yeov. U.) ; real prop. 19287. ; charities 17. St.
Pet. and St. Paul Rect. (Ba. and W.) val. with
W. Chinnock, 4497., patr. Col. Wyndham. Fair,
last Tues. Oct
Chiselbury ( ) 5 m. WSW. of Wilton, SW.
Wilts, a romanised-british camp on White Sheet
ridge, single ditched, of 10 J acres, 714yds. in cir-
CHISELHAMPTOW par. (13) Dorchester hund.
Mid. Oxford. 6 m. NNW. of Abingdon-56, on R.
Thame. Acres 1210; pop. 153 + 3; poor r. 126Z.
fAbing. U.); real prop. 16037. St. Mary Cur.
(Oxon.) val. with Stadhampton 1357., patr. C.
Peers, Esq. of C. House, once seat of the
P. CHISELHURST par. (8) Ruxley hund. Sut-
ton-at-Hone lathe, NW. Kent. 3 m. E. of Brom-
ley-10, belonged to the Walsinghams of Scad-
bury (now a farm), where Sir Francis, the
statesman, and Ld- Keeper Bacon, were born, >
now to Visct. Sydney of Frognall, through the
Betensons. Acres 4050 ; pop. 1792 ; poor r. 6497.
(Broml. U.); real prop. 81177.; charities 797., of
which 397. to Harvil's and Moore's schools, be-
sides Phillpot's almshouses. St. Nicholas Beet.
(Cant.) val. 487., patr. Bishop of Rochester;
church, of -flint, has mons of the above, and of the
Berties, Sir P. Warwick, and Dr. Wollaston.
Camden, seat of Marq. Camden, formerly of the
CHISEXBURY tythg. (14) Enford par. Mid.
Wilts. 8 m. WNW. of Ludgershall-71, on R.
Avon, near C. Camp, or Trendle, which is about
5 acres, and 595 yds. in circuit. Pop. 149 ; real
prop. 7967. C. Priory, E. Stagg, Esq. 1^ C.-
DE-LA-FOLLY tythg. Netheravon par. near the
above. Pop. 42.
Chisfield, or Chivesfield, Lodge(4&))$ m. NNE. of
Stevenage, N. Herts. W. Parkins, Esq.
CHISHALL, GREAT, par. (47) Uttlesford hund.
NW. Essex, 4 m. SE. of Royston-38. Acres
1410; pop. 466 + 9; poor r. 2237. (Royst. U.);
real prop. 28667. ; charities 67. St. Swithin Vic.
(Roch.) val. 1737., patr. J. Wilkes, Esq. (^ C.,
LITTLE, par. as above, 1 m. S. Acres 1420 ; pop.
96; poor r. 217.; real prop. 12557. St. Nicholas
Rect. with Haydon.
Chisholm's Pass, near L. Glass, E. Ross, in a
fine spot, belonging to the Chisholms of Erchless.
CHISLEOON par. (34) Kingsbridge hund. NE.
Wilts. 8 m. S. of Highworth-74, contains Bad-
bury and Hodson. Acres 5710; pop. 1176 + 3;
poor r. 8257. (Highw. U.) ; real prop. 76087. ; cha-
rities, Harvey's 127. Holy Cross Vic. (Sal.) val.
1737., patr. T. Calley, Esq.
P. CHISLETT par. (3) Bleangate hund. St.
Augustine lathe, E. Kent, 6 m. NE. of Canter-
bury-55, near S. East. rail. Acres 5180 ; pop.
1097 ; poor r. 6897. (Blean U.) ; real prop. 14,5917. ;
charities 1507., of which 407. to school. St. Mary
Vic. (Cant.) val. 2317., patr. Archbp. ; church, early
eng. C. Court, T. Wood, Esq.
Chisnall Hall (89) 4m. NNW. of Wigan, W.
Lancash. seat of J. Hamerton, Esq., formerly of
Chissel, or Chessel (11) 1 m. NE. of South-
ampton, S. Hants. Lord Ashtown.
CHISWELL. See CHESILTON, Dorset.
Chiswell Green (7) 2m. SW. of St. Alban's, W.
P. CHISWICK par. (7) Ossulstone hund. Mid.
Middlesex, 7 m. WSW. of St. Paul's, on R.
Thames, containing Turnham Green cur. on Stane
Street (where Chardin the traveller and Ld.
Heathfield lived), and Strand - on - the - Green
(where the real Joe Miller and Zoffany the
painter died), was the residence of Ld. Deputy
Sydney, Allen Lord Bathurst, Sir S. Fox, Earl of
Burlington, and others. Acres 1120, part mkt.
gardens, and including the Horticultural Society's ;
pop. 5811+82; poor r. 21977. (Brentford U.) ;
real prop. 24,2827.; charities 1307., of which
school 477. St. Nicholas Vic. (Lon.) val. 6017.,
patr. Dean and Chap, of St. Paul's, who own the
manor, called Sutton, held by Duke of Devonshire ;
church and ch. yard, have mons. of Chaloner,
who discovered or worked the first alum works in
England; of Holland the actor, and Hogarth
(who lived near C. Field), with lines on both by
Garrick ; Rose the translator of Sallust, with lines
by Murphy ; Earl Macartney, who died at Corney
House, a seat of the Russells, now down ; Lou-
therburg the painter, Duchess of Cleveland, Char-
din; Countess of Falconberg, 3rd daughter of
Cromwell, who died at Sutton Court ; Kent, the
landscape gardener ; Ralph, a political writer and
Dunciad hero, who died at C. House, afterwards
Whittingham's printing-office ; Dr. Morell ; Grif-
fiths, who first edited the Monthly Review;
Sharp, the engraver, U. Foscolo. C. House, seat
of Duke of Devonshire, on site of one in which
Carr, James's favourite, lived, was b. by Kent
from a design by Earl Burlington, in imitation of
the Capra Villa, has a portico ascended by two
flights of steps with a double approach, and
crowned by an 8-sided dome, with wings added by
Wyatt ; and contains Vandyck's ' Ch. I. and
family ', Murillo's ' Belisarius ', Giordano's ' Acis
and Galatea', Van Eyck's 'Ld. Clifford' (1444),
Zucchero's 'Mary, Q. of Scots,' Domenichino's
' Madonna ', Douw's ' Rembrandt in his painting-
room ', Pope by Kent, and other masters, with
a collection of drawings, and Canova's ' Hebe,'
etc. In the grounds are the gate of Beaufort
House (Sir T. More's seat, Chelsea, with some
lines by Pope on it), and that of Corney House,
many antiques, rows of cedars, and a conserva-
tory 300 ft. long. The Emperor Alexander visited
it in 1815, and Fox and Canning both died here.
C. Grove, seat of , has some walnut and chest-
nut trees. Estates descend by ' borough english '
CHISWORTII tnshp. (81) Glossop par. NW.
Derby. S m. NW. of Chapel-le-Frith-167. Pop.
CHITHURST par. (9) Dumpford hund.Chichester
rape, W. Sussex, 2 m. WNW. of Midhurst-50, on
R. Rother. Acres 1100; pop. 232 + 6; poor r.
717. (Midh. U.) ; real prop. 7227. Living, a Cur.
CHITTERN. See CHILTERN, Wilts.
CHITTLEHAJMPTON par. (26) S. Molton hund.
N. Devon. 5 m. W. of S. Molton-178, on R. Taw.
Acres 5700, with slate ; pop. 1893 ; poor r. 8107.
(S. Molt. U.) ; real prop. 83867. ; charities, church
lands 187. St. Urith Vic. (Exet.) val. 4137., and
St. John Cur. val. 7., patr. of both, Heirs of
Lord Rolle, of whose family the church has tombs
and a carved pulpit, with a brass of J. Cobleigh
(1466). Hudscot, Misses Rolle.
CHITTOE, or CHITWAY, tythg. (14) Bishop's
Canning par. Mid. Wilts. 5 m. NW. of Devizes
-89. Acres 880 ; pop. 207 ; poor r. 1267. (Devizes
U.). Living, a Cur. (Sal.) val. 60?., patr. Bishop.
P. CHIVELSTONE par. (23, 4) Coleridge hund. S.
Devon. 4 m. SSE. of Kingsbridge-208, near Start
Point, contains Ford, Arlington, and Prawle.
Acres 2720 ; pop. 591 ; poor r. 4227. (Kingsb. U.) ;
real prop. 35717. St. Sylvester Cur. with Stoken-
Chicerton (31) 4m. NNW. of Truro, W. Cornw.
seat of W. Peter, Esq., through the Thomases.
Chlorus's Camp (14) or Figbury Ring, 4 m. NE.
of Salisbury, SE. Wilts, on the roman way to
Winchester, a circular british camp of 15 acres,
1078 yds. round, with an interior ditch.
P. CHOBHAM par. (8) First Godley hund. NW.
Surrey, 5 m. SW. of Chertsey-21. on Bourn brook,
near C. Ridge and Bagshot heath. Acres 9470,
sandy ; pop. 1989 + 5 ; poor r. 7517. (Cherts. U.) ;
real prop. 95207. ; charities 257., of which church
estate 231. St. Lawrence Vic. and Holy Trinity
Cur. (Win.) vaL 1487., patr. J. Thornton, Esq.
of C. Place. C. Lodge, T. Bainbridge, Esq., in
the Park, where Abp. Heath, deprived at the
Revolution, died. Coins were found here 1772.
CHOCKNELL hmlt. (55) Leigh par. Worcest.
6 m. WSW. of Worcester, was once a separate
CHOLDERTON, EAST, tythg. (12-4) Amport
par. NW. Hants. 5 m. W. of Andover-63. Pop.
328 ; real prop. 21347.
P. CHOLDEKTON, WEST, par. (14) Amesbury
hund. SE. Wilts. 4 m. W. of Amesbury-77. Acres
1390 ; pop. 170 + 1 ; poor r. 497. (Amesb. U.) ;
real prop. 13517. ; charities, Cracherode's for edu-
cation 127. St. Nicholas Sect. (Sal.) val. 2257.,
patr. Oriel Coll. Oxon.
Chole Bank, 4 m. S. of St. Anne's, Alderney,
Channel Islds., is 6 m. long, with only 10 ft. water
in one part, increasing to iO fath.
CHOLLERTON par. ( ) NE. Tindale ward, S.
Northmbrld. 5 m. N. of Hexham-279, on R. Tyne
and the Wall, containing Birtley cur., Barrasford,
Broomhope, Chipchase, seat of the Herons, Col-
well, Gunnerton, and Swinburn, seat of Mrs.
Strickland. Acres 16,020; pop. 1129, of town
C9 ; poor r. 4127.(Hexham U.) ; real prop. 15,6417. ;
charities 21. St. Giles Vic. (Dur.) val. 3617.,
patr. Rev. C. Bird, vicar. St. Oswald's chapel at
Halydene, or Hefenfeld, commemorates King Os-
wald's victory over Ceadwallon 635.
CHOLMONDELEY tnshp. (73) Malpas par. S.
Cheshire, 6 m. W. of Nantwich-164, is a meet
for the Cheshire hounds. Acres 2480 ; pop. 260 ;
poor r. 105;. (Nantw. U.) ; real prop. 2G231. C.
Castle, seat of Marquis Cholmondeley, who has the
manor, was reb. 1804, in the pointed style. The
old hall was garrisoned for Charles 1643, and
taken by Earl of Denbigh, 1644.
CHOLMONDSTONE tnshp. (73) Acton par. S.
Cheshire, 4 m. N. of Nantwich-164. Acres 1470,
part common ; pop. 206 + 2 ; poor r. 687. (Nantw.
U.) ; real prop. 22887. C. Hall, i m. E.
CHOLSALL hmlt (13) St. Helen par. N. Berks.
1 m. NNW. of Abingdon-56.
P. CHOLSEY par. (13) Reading hund. Mid.
Berks. 2 m. SSW. of Wallingford-46, a station
on Gt. West, rail., near R. Thames, had an
abbey, found. 986 by Etheldred to atone for
his brother's murder, and also a seat of the
abbots of Reading, which with the manor con-
taining one of the largest farms in England,
came through the Warwicks to Ld. Kensington.
Acres 5060, part common; pop. 1191+21; poor
r. 10677. (Wallingf. U.) ; real prop. 74207. ; chari-
ties 37. St. Mary Vic. (Oxon.) val. 3407., patr.
Ld. Chancellor ; church, part norman. The abbey
Grange or barn which remains, is 100 yds. by 18,
with a tall roof supported by 17 pillars on each
side, 12 ft. in girth.
CHOLSTREY tnshp. (55) Leominster par. N.
Hereford. 2 m. W. of Leominster-137. Pop. 160.
CHOLWICK TOWN (25) 5 m. NE. of Plymton-
Earle-212, S. Devon.
Chon Loch, near L. Katrine, 5. Perth. 5 m.
NW. of Aberfoyle, is 2 m. long, in a fine spot at
the source of the W. head of R. Forth.
Choon Castle (33) 5 m. NW. of Penzance, S W.
CHOP GATE hmlt. ( ) Bilsdale - Midcable
chplry. N. R. York. 5 m. SE. of Stokesley-238.
CHOPPINGTON tnshp. ( ) Bedlington par. Dur-
ham, locally in Northmbrtd. 3 m. ESE. of Mor-
peth-289, at the bridge, on R. Wansbeck. Pop.
CHOPWELL tnshp. ( ) Winlaton par. N.
Durham, 8 m. SW. of Gateshead-275, near R.
Derwent. Acres 3150, with coal; pop. 320 + 7;
poor r. 877. (Gatesh. U.) ; real prop. 31967.
CHORLEY tnshp. (81) Wilmslow par. NE.
Chestiire, 5 m. NW. of Macclesfield-167, a station
on Manch. and Birm. rail. Acres 770 ; pop. 561 ;
poor r. 1477. (Macclesf. U.); real prop. 23637.
(gP CHORLEY tnshp. (73) Wrenbury par. S.
Cheshire, 4 m. W. of Nantwich-164. Acres 1280 ;
pop. 183 + 2; poor r. 527. (Nantw. U.); real
P. M. CHORLEY par. (89) Leyland hund. Mid.
Lancash. a part of Croston till 1793, is a polling
place (for N. Lane.) and petty sessions town, on
R. Yarrow and Leeds canal, 28 m. SSE. of Lan-
caster, or 210 from London by N. West. rail, on
which it is a station. Acres 3110, hilly, with coal,
lead, iron, alum, flag, slate, ashlar, mill stone and
hone-stone in C. Forest; pop. 13,139 + 385, in the
cotton mills (2206 hands), print and bleach works
(236), mines (108) ; houses 2146, with 2 churches,
4 chapels, town-hall and prison, savings bk. (75227.
from 288 depositors), gram, school (117.), Cooper's
almshouses, national schools, gas and water
works, mills, and Union poor house; poor r.
15667. on 31,6807. ; real prop. 31,9827. ; charities
1297., of which poor's lands 897. St. Lawrence Reel.
(Manch.) val. 10227., patr. Rev. J. S. Master,
rector, church, part, norman, with old monu-
ments, etc. ; St. George Cur. 7., Rector ; ch.
built 1825. Astley Hall, Ladv Hoghton ; Gilli-
brand Hall, H. Fazakerley, E"sq. ChorL P. L.
Union, contains the pars. etc. of Adlington,
Brindle, Chorley, Coppul, Croston, Eccleston,
Heapy, Hoghton, Leyland, Rivington, Whittle-
le-Wood, with Anderton, Anglezart, Bretherton,
Cuerden, Charnock (Heath and Richard),Clayten-
le- Woods, Duxbury, Euxton, Heskin, Ulves
Walton, Welsh Whittle, Wheelton, Withnell;
acres 37,968; pop. 38,36, cases relieved (yr.
1846-7) 4492 (out-door 4161), expend. 69667.,
prop, rated 129,6407. Sup. Registry comprises the
same up to Whittle-le- Wood, with Douglas, Bisp-
ham, Sharpies, Parbold, and Wrightlington ;
pop. 38,836 + 435 ; births (1845) 1498 (697 being
females, 208illegit.) deaths 741 marriages, of
which 418 persons signed with marks. The
New County Court district corresponds with the
registry. Mht. D. Tues. Fairs, 26 Mar. 5 May,
20 Aug. 4-6 Sept. cattle, cloth, hardware.
CHORLEY tnshp. (61) Stottesden par. SE.
Salop, 5 m. N. of Cleobury Mortimer-137. Pop.
114. C. Hall, T. Crump, Esq. ^" CHORLEY
hmlt. (62) Farewell par. S. Stafford. 3 m. NW.
ofLichfield-119. Pop. 158. C. Halt, .
P. CHORLEY WOOD (7) 2 m. NW. of Rick-
mansworth-18, S W. Herts. E. Morris, Esq. Christ
Church Cur. (Roch.) val. 407., patr. Hayward,
CHORLTOX tnshp. (73) Malpas par. S. Chesh.
2 m. WNW. of Malpas-168, is a meet for the
Wynnstav hounds. Acres 610 ; pop. 150 ; poor
r. 341. (WrexhamU.); real prop. 11607. Coins
of Valerian were found 1818. C. Hall, T. C.
Clutton, Esq. $3T CHORLTON tnshp. (73)
Wybunbury par. S. Chesh. 5 m. ESE. of Nant-
wich-164, on Gd. Junct. rail. Acres 700; pop.
141 + 4 ; poor r. 347. (Xantw. IT.) ; real prop. 11527.
Igg" CHOKLTON chplry. (73) Eccleshall par. NW.
Stafford. 6 m. NW. of Stone-141, on Gd. Junct.
rail, contains C. Hill Acres 1660; pop. 243;
poor r. 1221. (Newcastle-under-Lyne U.) ; real
prop. 40807. St. Lawrence Cur. (Lich.) val. 711.,
CHORLTON-BY-BACKFORD tnshp. (80) Back-
ford par. NW. Chesh. 3 m. N. of Chester- 183, on
Ellesmere canal. Acres 580 ; pop. 85 ; poor r. 397.
(Gt. Boughton U.) ; real prop. 11247. C. House,
3. W. Swan, Esq. gg" C.-CUM-HARDY chplry.
(80) Manchester par. SE. Lancash. 3 m. SSW.
of Manchester-183, on a branch of R. Mersey.
Acres 1400; pop. 632; poor r. 1047. (Chorlton
U.) ; charities 87. ; real prop. 49827. Living, a
Cur. (Manch.) val. 103/., patr. Dean and Chap.
ggC.HiLL tnshp. (73) Chorlton chplry. as above,
NW. Stafford. Pop. 122.
CHORLTON-ON-MEDLOCK, or C. Row, tnshp.
(88) Manchester boro', SE. Lancash. 1 m. S. of
Manchester-183. Acres 700; pop. 28,336 + 777,
cotton spinners, etc. ; houses 5486, with 3 churches,
several chapels, town hall, dispensary, peniten-
tiary ; poor r. 25467. ; real prop. 141,0647. All
Saints Cur. (Manch.) val. 107/., patr. Rev. Dr.
Burton, Curate ; St. Luke Cur. /., Mrs. Smith ;
St. Saviour Cur. 1., S. Birch, Esq. Chorl. P.
L. Union, contains the pars. etc. of Ardwick,
bury, Flixton, Gorton, Hulme (where poor ho.
is), Openshaw, Stretford, with Barton-on-Irwell,
Burnage, Levenshulme, Moss-side, Openshaw,
Rusholme, Urmston, Withington ; acres 24,357,
pop. 93,736, cases relieved (yr. 1846-7) 5073 (out-
door 4407), expend. 11,0437., prop, rated 381,9657.
Sup. Registry comprises the same up to Stretford,
with Birch, Eccles, Pendlebury; pop. 93,726
+ 3545. It belongs to Manchester N ew County
CHOSELEY ext. par. (69) Ringstead par. NW.
Norfolk, 5 m. of Burnham Westgate-118. Pop. 8.
CHOULESBURY par. (7) Cottesloe hund. Mid.
Bucks. 8 m. SE. of Aylesbury-40, contains a
british and saxon moated camp 1 m. in circuit,
called Bury Banks. Acres 170, part common ;
pop. 124 ; poor r. 617. (Aylesb. U.) ; real prop.
320/. ; charities 1227., of which Xeale's 1207. St.
Lawrence Cur. (Oxon.) val. 417., patr. Trustees ;
church, within the camp.
CHOULTON tnshp. ( ) N. Lydbury par. S W.
Salop, 4 m. ESE. of Bishop's Castle-159, on R.
Onny, is joined to Eaton.
CHOWLEY tnshp. ( ) Coddington par. SW.
Chesh. 6 m. N. of Malpas-168. Acres 580 ; pop.
77 ; real prop. 10237.
CHRISHAI..L. par. (47) TTttlesford hund. NW.
Essex, 5 m. W. of Saffron Walden-42. Acres
2690, part common; pop. 521+4; poor r. 3287.
(S. Walden U.) ; real prop. 27577. ; charities,
Martin's for 33 pars. 567. Holy Trinity Vic.
(Roch.) val. 2007., patr. Bp. of London ; church,
has 3 brasses (a knight and lady, canopied, 1370,
Chrisliall Grange (47) 6 m. E. of Royston, S.
Chrishmett (6) 4 m. ESE. of Maidstone, Mid.
CHRISTCHURCH (LOWER) HUNDRED (15) Ring-
wood division, SW. Hants, contains the par. of
Soplev, and part of Christchurch ; acres (exclu-
sive of Christchurch) 3730, pop. 3877, houses 828.
C. (UPPER) HUNDRED (15-6) U. Lymington di-
vision, /S W. Hants, contains the pars, of Hordle,
Milford and Milton, and part of Boldre; acres
(exclusive of Christchurch) 11,130, pop. 4722,
* P. M. 2i. CHRISTCHURCH par. in the above
hund. and Westover lib. 20 m. SW. of South-
ampton (to which it is a sub-port) 100 from Lon-
don,near S.West.rail., a coast gd. station on C.Baij,
the Tweon-ea,or Twynam-bourne (on Rs. Avon and
Stour), of the Saxons, and Thuinam of ' Domes-
dy.' when it was a crown manor, has remains of
the norman keep of a castle built Hen. I.'s
time by Rich. Earl of Devon, and of the priory
rebuilt on the site of one older than the Con-
fessor, by Bp. Flambard ; returns one member to
parl. (two before the Reform act, from the reign
of Eliz.), the new limits including the par. which
contains Bure, Burton, Hinton-Admiral, Hum
(part without the boro'), Iforcl, Parley, Street,
Tuckton, Winkton, and Holdenhurst chplry,
no. of electors being 315 (of 107. houses 1405) ;
and is nominally governed by a mayor, recorder,
etc. who do not appear to have been affected by
the Municipal act. Acres of boro' 24,640 ( ?), old
boro' 123; pop. of par. 5994 + 65, of boro' 1922,
engaged in the salmon fisheries, which belonged
to the late Sir G. Rose, Bt. of Sandhills, who had
the manor, in the breweries, and some in the
watch-spring and stocking manufact. ; houses in
boro' 398, in one street, with a chapel, 2 banks,
barracks, 2 bridges, 2 breweries, national (formerly
a gram.) school over the Mary chapel, Magdalen
hosp. (417.), and Union p. house ; assd. taxes 5577. ;
poor r. 27177. on 25,9367. ; real prop. 46027. ; cha-
rities 3127., of which Clingan's for apprenticing
1287. Holy Trinity Vic. (Win.) val. with Hol-
denhurst Cur. 1647., patr. Dean and Chap. ; the
fine cruciform church, which belonged to the
priory, has norman nave, early eng. porch, and
later eng. chancel, is 311 ft. by 104, with tower
built (15th cent.) by the Montacutes, and con-
tains some pillars 36 ft. high and 36 in. girth,
with three tiers of arches above, Prior Draper's,
the Countess of Salisbury's, the Virgin Mary's,
chapels, 2 chantries, St. Michael's loft formerly
the gram, school, the W. window 36 ft. high, a
font, 36 stalls with grotesque caricatures of the
friars, an ancient altarpiece curiously carved
and as old as the founder, with a crypt under-
neath, mon. of the Wests, of a Chidiock knt.,
and several marks of brasses. Remains of the
refectory, walls, etc. of the priory are seen and
traces of a roman temple to Mars have been found.
Edw. VI. visited this place 1552. Greaves are
used here to feed pigs and manure turnips. On
account of the shape of the coast, the tide flows
twice in 12hrs.as at Poole, but the river, which was
made navigable to Salisbury, is rendered useless
by the shoal bar harbour at the mouth. The
bay to the E. has anchorage in 4 to 5 fath., and
to the S. off Hengistbury or C. Head, on which
is a camp, is a chalk ledge or reef stretching out
towards the Needles. St. Catherine's hill has
another camp. Heron Court, Earl of Malmes-
bury; Belvidere, J. Griffiths, Esq. and other
seats. Christch. P. L. Union, contains the par,s. of
Christchurch, Holdenhurst, Sopley ; acres 35,586,
pop. 7828, cases relieved (yr. 1846-7) 1172 (out-
door 1014), expend. 36157., prop, rated 34,7767.
Sup. Registry comprises the same, with Brams-
grove ; pop. 7838 + 75 ; 235 deaths from cholera
in 1849. The New County Court district cor-
responds with the Registry. Mkt. D. Mon.
Fairs, Trin. Th. 17 Oct. cattle, etc.
P. CHRISTCHURCH par. is joined to KII.MUIRS,
Inverness, ijaf" CHRISTCIIURCH par. (36) Lower
Caldicott hund. S. Monmo. 2 m. EXE. of New-
port- 1 48, a petty sessions town, near R. Usk,
containing Caerton-ultra-Pontem. Acres 5320,
limestone; pop. 1310+45; poor r. 418/. (New-
port U.); real prop. 10.019Z. ; charities, church
lands, 651. Living, a Fie. (Llan.) val. /., patr.
!< CHRIST/CHURCH, or OXFORD, DEANERY,
archdy. and dioc. of Oxon, includes JJinsey cur.
and the benefices in Oxford.
Christendom (9) near Waterford, NE. Water-
ford, B. Whitney, Esq.
CIIRISTIAN-MALFORP par. (34) N. Damerham
and Chippenham bunds. N. Wilts. 4 m. NE. of
Chippenham-93, a meet for the Beaufort hounds,
on Gt. West. rail, containing Avon on that river,
is Cristemelford of ' Domesdy.' when it belonged
to Glastonbury. Acres 2810; pop. 1179 + 17;
poor r. 523Z. (Chippenham U.) ; real prop. 6780Z. ;
charities, Willes' school 31. All Saints Rect. (Gl.
and Br.) val. 6721., patr. Bp. of Bath and Wells.
The Herberts had an old seat here.
>fc CHRISTIANITIES EXETER, DEANERY, arch-
dy. and dioc. of Exeter, includes the benefices in
Exeter, and Heavitree vie.
%> CHRISTIANITY, or LEICESTER, DEANERY,
archdy. of Leicester, dioc. of Peterboro', includes
the benefices in Leicester. ^ CHRISTIANITY
DEANERY, archdy. and dioc. of Lincoln, includes
the benefices in Lincoln.
Christianstown (17) 4 m. N. of Kildare, W.
Kildare. ^ Christianstoicn (11) 3 m. SE. of
Louth, Mid. Louth.
CHRISTIONYDD, COED, and KENWICK, tnshp.
(74) Ruabon par. SE. Denbigh. 2 m. NW. of
Chirk-173, on C. River, which runs to the Dee.
Pop. 562 and 2992, in the iron and coal works ;
real prop. 4330/.
CHRISTLETON par. (80) Lower Broxton hund.
NW. Chesh. 2 m. SE. of Chester-183, on Crewe
rail, and Ellesmere canal, containing Cotton-
Abbotts, C.-Edmunds, Littleton, and Rowton, be^
longed to Hugh Lupus at the Conquest, who gave
it to Chester Abbey, whence it came through the
Birminghams and others to the Sneyds, Harpurs,
etc. Acres 3070, of town 1480 ; pop. 875, de-
creasing, of town 625 ; poor r. 2677. (Gt. Bough-
ton U.); real prop. 4661Z. ; charities, Seller's
school 1 II. and 21. more. St. James Rect. (Ches.)
val. 827Z., patr. Lady Champneys. C. Hall, T.
CHRISTMAS COMMON lib. (13) Pirton par. SE.
Oxford, 2 m. SE. of Watlington-45.
CHRISTON par. (19) Winterstoke hund. N.
Somerset. 4 m. NW. of Axbridge-130. Acres
350 ; pop. 91 ; poor r. 44Z. (Axb. U.) ; real prop.
I. ; charities, Gore's 107. Living, a Rect. (Ba.
and W.) val. 99/., patr. Sir G. Smyth, Bt. and
M. Gore, Esq. ; church, early eng. gif C. Sank
( ) 5 m. NNE. of Alnwick, N. Northmbrld. on
Yk. and Berwk. rail.
P. CIIRISTOW par. (22) Wonford hund. Mid.
Devon. 4 m. NW. of Chudleigh-182, on R. Teign.
Acres 3680; pop. 624 + 2; poor r. 299Z. (St
Thomas U.) ; real prop. 2456Z. ; charities, Stoke's
almshouse, etc. 30Z. St. James Vic. (Exet.) val.
157Z., patr. Viscount Exmouth of Canonteign ;
church has tomb of the great admiral, who is
buried here, and a carved screen and norman font.
Pope House, was a cell to Cowick priory ( ?).
CHRISTSKIRK par. joined to K.INNETHMONT,
Aberdeen, has a ruined church.
Chroish Loch, near Contin, NE. Ross, has at
R. Conan's head plenty of trout.
CHRYSTON par. q. . in Cadder par. N. Lanark.
near Glasgow-44. Size 4$ by 3i; pop. 21,670.
Living (presb. Glasg.) val. 70Z., patr. Managers.