Copyright
James A Sharp.

A new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) online

. (page 124 of 293)
Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 124 of 293)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


houses 6564.

P. M. * CLOGHER par. (57-9, etc.) in the
above bar. 15 m. SSE. of Omagh, 98 from Dublin,
is a sessions town and police station, among the
mountns. on the Blackwater, the seat of the
princes of Errigal (which was its early name),
and till 1850 of a bishopric, which arose out of
an abbey founded by St. Macartin before 506,
and burnt 1395, and is a nominal boro' which
returned two members till the Union. Acres,
including Augher, Fivemiletown, Newtown Sa-
ville, 49,761, fertile, with 19,761 waste, and free-
stone and limestone, and rising 1255 ft. at Slieve
Beagh ; pop. 17,813, decreasing, of town (which
belongs to the bishop) 702 + 18 ; houses 103, in
one street on a hill, with the cathedral, bishop's
palace b. by Primate Beresford close to the remains
of the seat of the native princes, deanery, bridewell,
Bp. Garnett's free-school, loan fund, savings bk.
(9286Z. from 303 depositors) and Union p. ho. Liv-
ing, a Meet, attached to the deanery (Arm. C.) val.
783/., patr. Crown. Church or Cathedral b. 1744,
and since altered, is cruciform, and hasmons. of the
bishops, with the supposed Clogh or, or gold stone,
a remnant of heathen worship. The diocese, which
at one time included those of Clones, Ardstrath,
and Louth, and was held by Abp. Magragh, J.
Lesley, etc., is under the new arrangement joined
to Armagh, of which province it is part ; it ex-
tends 76 m. by 25 over Monaghan, and parts of
Fermanagh, Donegal, Tyrone, and Louth, with
22,591 acres of land and a present net revenue of
8687J. It contains benefices, 45 pars., and 67 liv-
ings of which 35 are in Primate's patronage. The
chapter consists of a dean, archdeacon, precentor,
chancellor, and five prebendaries. The rom. cath.
diocese suffragan to Armagh, includes 39 pars.,
the bishop's seat being at Clogher. Clogher P. L.
Union, contains 17 electoral divs. in Tyrone and
Monaghan, with 24 guardians; acres 101,227,
pop.39,801, ho.room for 700, cases relieved(1847-8)
1756 (besides 2623 out-door), expend. 4973/.,prop.
rated 42.275J. M kt. D. Sat. Fairs, 3rd Sat.
monthly ; 6 May, 26 July.

Clogher Head (42) 2 m. S. of Sybil Head, W.
Kerry. ^ C. House (100) 8 m. NW. of Holly-
mount, S. Mayo, P. C. Lynch, Esq.

Clogherbeg (22) near Elphin, Mid. Roscmn.

CLOGHERBRIEN par. (28-9) Trughanacmy bar.
NW. Kerry, 2 m. NW. of Tralee-187, near the
bay. Acres 3410, good ; pop. 1444 + 11. Living,
a Meet, with Bnllinahaglish.

CLOGHEREEN vil. (65) Maguinhy bar. Mid.



CLO



441



Kerry, near Killarney-184, andMucross abbey on
the lower lake, under Mangerton mountn.

CLOGHERNY, or DONAGHANEIGH, par. (44, etc.)
Omagh bar. Mid. Tyrone, 3 m. SE. of Omagh-109.
Acres 17,792; pop. 7553 + 77. Living, a Meet.
(Arm. C.) val. 5531., 1930 acres glebe, patr. Trin.
Coll. Dub.

P. CLOGHJORDAN dist. par. (1C) Lower Or-
mond bar. N. Tippery. a police station, 5 m. SE.
of Borrisokane-91. Pop. 1164 + 34 ; houses 185,
with 4 chapels, dispensary, hospital, distillery.
Living, a Cur. (K. K. C. K.) val. 76/., patr. Vicar
of Modreeny. Fairs, 12 May, 12 Aug. 1 Dec.

Cloghkeating (10) 8 m. NE. of Borrisokane, N.
Tippery.

CLOGHMILLS vil. (23) Kilconway bar. N. An-
trim, 9 m. SE. of Ballymony-140. Pop. 158.

Cloghmore (54) near Rosstrevor, S. Down.

Cloghna Head (143) E. side of Rosscarbery bay,
S. Cork,

Cloghnarold (29) 1 m. W. of Kathkeale, W.
Limerick, on R. Deel, J. F. Massey, Esq.

Cloghoge (26) near Lough Nilly, SW. Fer-
managh.

Cloghogle (25) 3 m. S. of Newtown Stewart,
Mid. Tyrone.

CLOGHORNA hmlt. (3) Innishowen bar. N.
Donegal, 6 m. NW. of Cardonagh-165.

Clogh- Oughter Castle (20) on L. Oughter, Mid.
Cavan.

CLOGHPRIOR par. (9, 10, 14-5) Lower Ormond
bar. N. Tippery. 4 m. SW. of Borrisokane-91,
has remains of Grace's castle, near R. Shannon.
Acres 3724, part common with limestone ; pop.
1306, decreasing. Living, a Rect. with Finnoe.
Ashley Park, G. Atkinson, Esq. ; Carney Castle,
A. French, Esq.

CLOGHRAN-HIDART, or BALLYCOOLANE, par.
(13-4) Castleknock bar. W. Dublin, 5 m. NW. of
Dublin. Acres 778; pop. 111.

P. CLOGHRAN-SWORDS par. (11, 14-5) Coolock
bar. Mid. Dublin, 5 m. N. of Dublin. Acres 1668,
with limestone ; pop. 549 + 7. Living, a Rect.
(Du. G. K.) val. 1761., patr. Crown. Castle Moat,
J. M'Owen, Esq., on the site of a rath, command-
ing a fine sea view.

Cloghrane (29) near Tralee, N. Kerry.

Cloghroe (73) near Blarney, MuLCork, Fitz-
gerald, Esq. lEr CLOGHROE vil. ( ) Barrett's
bar. Mid. Cork, near Cork- 160.

Cloghslukagh Mountn. (26) 3 m. SE. of Mullin-
gar, Mid. Westmeath.

Cloghvieree (25) near Goresbridge, Mid. Kilheny.
on R. Barrow.

CLOGHY hmlt. (25) Ards bar. E. Down, 4 m.
NE. of Portaferry-103, near C. Bay, 1 m. wide.

CLOGMORE hmlt. (91) Moycullen bar. SW.
Galway, 16 m. SW. of Oughterard-151.

Clogrenan Hill (6) 4 m. N. of Leighlinbridge,
2V. Carlow, above C. House, H. W. N. Rochfort, Esq.

CLOGSCOLTIA hmlt. (93) Galway bar. S. Gal-
way, near Gal way- 133.

CLOHAMANvil. (9) Scarewalsh bar. N. Wexford,
2 m. SE. of Newtown-Barry-61. C. House, S.
Swiny, Esq.

Clohina ( ) near Macroom, W. Cork, Dr. H.
Baldwin,

CLOMANTAGH par. (8, 9, 12-3) Cramagh bar.
N. Kilkenny, 3 m. W. of Freshford-72, so called
from the druidical circle called Clogh man Ta, or
' Stone of God,' has remains of two castles b. by
the Shortalls. Acres 3703, with limestone ; pop.
1058+6. Living, a Rect. (Oa. F. L.) and a Cur.
val. /. Wordsgift, Sir R. St. George, Bt.

CLONABRENY. See RUSSAGH, Meath.

Clonacody (70) near Fethard, S. Tippery.



442

Clonad (24) 4 m. S. of Tullamore, Mid. Kiny's
Co. near C. Wood.

Cix>NAGANE,or CLONEGANE,par. (3,4,7,8) Up-
per Third bar. N. Water ford, 9 m. NW.of Water-
ford-96, near R. Suir, belongs to Marq. of Water-
ford of Curraghmore. Acres 4939 ; pop. 4759 +
70. Living, a Jtect. with Newtown-Lennan, val.
640/., patr. Crown ; church, rebuilt 1794, has
tombs of the Beresfords.

Clonagh (24) 4 m. SW. of Tullamore, Mid.
King's Co. giT CLONAGH par. (19, 28) Lower
Connello bar. NW. Limerick, 4 m. W. of Rath-
keale-136. Acres 2428, good land ; pop. 690 + 5.
Living, a Rect. with Rathkeale.

CLONAGHLIS par. (15) S. Salt bar. E. Kildare,
6 m. E. of Clane-22, on Gd. canal. Acres 478 ;
pop. 127.

CLONAGOOSE, or CLONEYFOKD. See CLONT-
GOOSE, Carlow.

Clonaheany (15) near Crossakeel, W. Meath. W.
B.Wade, Esq.

P. M. CLONAKILTY vil. (135) E. Carbery-East
bar. Kilgarriffe par. S. Cork, 26 m. SW. of Cork,
188 from Dublin, a sessions town (for W. Riding)
and chief police station, and a sub-port to Cork
on C. Bay, is a boro', governed by a sovereign and
burgesses, with a revenue of 74Z., who returned
two members before the Union, and was found,
by the Boyles, to whom it belongs. Pop. 3993
+ 13, in the export linen and grain trade,
through the bar harbour, which admits only
small craft ; houses 592, with church, 2 chapels,
classical school, shirehall and bridewell, house
of industry, bank, dispensary, mkt. house, linen
hall, infantry barracks, pub. library, news-room.
Bp. Collins was a native. Clonak. P. L. Union,
formed in 1849, contains 20 electoral divs. in Cork,
with 21 guardians; acres 80,454, pop. 52,178,
prop, rated 61.139Z. Fairs, 6 April, 1 June, 1
Aug. 10 Oct. 12 Nov. Mkt. D. Friday, linen
yarn, poultry.

Clonakilty Bay (135-6) Ibane and Barryroe bar.
8. Cork, about 7 m. wide at the mouth, between
Dunowen head and Seven heads, has 7 to 20 fath.
water and leads up to the harb. which is shallow,
with Inchydoney isld. in the middle.

CLONALLAN par. (47, 51, 54) Upper Iveagh
bar. /S W. Down. 2 m. N. of Warrenpoint-60, on
Carlingford bay, has some castle remains. Acres
11,658 ; pop. 6553, some in the oyster fisheries.
Living, a Sect, held by the Chancellor of Dro-
more (Dn. C. D.) val. 607/., patr. Bishop. C.
House, Rev. G. Davis ; Narrow Water house, R.
Hall, Esq.

Clonally ( ) near Ballygawley, S. Tyrone, J.
L. Spear, Esq.

CLONALVY par. (33-4) Upper Duleek bar. E.
Meatii, 6 m. SE. of Duleek-22. Acres 3125, well
cultivated, with freestone ; pop. 769, decreasing.
Living, a Vic. with Julianstown.

CLONAMERY par. (33) Ida bar. E. Kilkenny,
2 m. SE. of Inistioge-80, on R. Nore, has remains
of Clowen cast Acres 3390 ; pop. 836 + 6. Liv-
ing, a Prebend, and a Beet, with Innistioge.

Clonamully (8) near Bellanode, W. Monaghan.

CLONARALYNAGH, UPPER and LOWER, hmlts.
(17) Rathcornath bar. W. Westmeath, 2 m. XE.
of Ballymore-62.

Clonard, near Belfast, SE. Antrim, R. Thomp-
son, Esq. I83P CLONARD vil. (3) E. Balrothery
bar. N. Dublin, near Balbriggan-19.

P. CLONARD par. (40-1, 46-7) Upper Moyfen-
rath bar. SW. Mcath, 12 m. SW. of Trim-21, a
police station, on R. Boyne, Mullingar rail, and
Royal canal, was for some centuries the seat of a
bishopric found, by St. Tinian, and afterwards of



CLO

a monastery and nunnery. Acres 13,324, with
bog and marsh; pop. 4503+15. Living, a Vic.
(Meath) with Killyon, val. 230/., patr. Bishop ;
church, has an old font. Some remains exist of
old buildings, etc.

Clonard, Great (42) 2 m. SW. of Wexford, 5.
Wexford, near C., Little.

CLOXARNEY par. (8, 9) Delvin bar. NE. West-
meath, 2 m. N. of Castletowndelvin-42. Acres
2308, bog and limestone ; pop. 897 + 5. Living,
i a Rect. with Castletowndelvin.

P. CIX>NASLEE dist. par. (2) Tinnehinch bar.

! N. Queen's Co. 13 m. X W. of Maryboro', 59 from

| Dublin, a petty sess. town, on R. Barradois, was

i part of Kilmanman, and belongs to Gen. Dunne

of Brittas. Pop. 561 ; houses 96, with 2 chapels.

Fairs, 3 May, 7 Nov.

CLONASSY hmlt. (40) Iverk par. S. Kilkenny,
near Mullinavat-87.

Clonatin (7) Gorey bar. near Gorey, N. Wex-
ford, Hon. Capt. M. Stopford, R. N.

Clonbar Bog ( ) Duumore and Clare bars.
Galway, near Tuam, extends over 7378 acres.

Clonbeale House (35) 3 m. NE. of Parsons-
town, W. King's Co. D. Molloy, Esq.

CLONBEG par. (73-4, etc.) Clauwilliam bar.
W. Tippery. a police station, 4 m. SW. of Tip-
perary-112, on R. Aperlow, under the Galtee
mountns. has remains of Moore abbey. Acres
15,112, with mountain and bog; pop. 4377 + 7.
Living, a Rct. (Ca. C. W. L.) with Killaldriff,
val. 608/., patr. Bishop. The deer which abounded
here, have disappeared. Ballynacourty, seat of
Rev. J. M. Dawson, commanding a fine view of
Dawson's table on Galtimore.

CLONBERN par. (17, 30-1) Ballymoe bar. JV.
Galway, 6m. NE. of Tuam-129. Acres 3903,
mostly bog; pop. 2333 +4. Living, a Vic. with
Kilkerrin.

Clonboy (45) 1 m. NW. of O'Briensbridge, SE.
Clare, G. Kingsmill, Esq. near R. Shannon.

Clnnbrick Lough (43) 6m. E. of Quin, Mid.
Clare.

Clonbrin (27) 6 m. NE. of Portarlington, SE.
King's Co.

Clonbrock (60-1) near Ahascragh, E. Galway,
Lord Clonbrock, on C. River which runs past
Ahascragh to R. Suck, near Ballinasloe.

CLONBRONY par. (9, 10, etc.) Ardagh and Gra-
nard bars. Mid. Longford, 4 m. N. of Edgeworth's
town-66, was the site of a nunnery, and belonged
to the O'Ferrals. Acres 11,706, with bog and
limestone; pop. 5114, decreasing. Living, a Vic.
(K. C. A.) val. 176Z., patr. Bishop. Kilshruly,
Major J. Edgeworth, of the family of Maria
Edgeworth, and of the excellent abbe' who at-
tended Louis XVI. on the scaffold.

CLONBULLOGE par. (67-8, 75) Clanwilliam bar.
W. Tippery. 5 m. SE. of Tipperary-112, on R.
Arra. Acres 3954, poor land ; pop. 1546 + 9.
Living, a Rect. with Tipperary. C. House, ;
Lismacue, W. Baker, Esq. i$3P CLONBULLOGE
vil. (19) Coolestown bar. E. King's Co. a police
station, 6 m. S.byW. of Edenderry-37, where R.
Philipstown joins R. Figile, in the bog of Allen,
was nearly destroyed in 1798. Pop. 313.

Clonluoger (24) 5 m. N. of Templemore, NE.
Tippery.

P. Clonbur ( ) near Ballinrobe, Maya.

Clonburren (16) Idrone East bar. Mid. Carlow,
on Burren river.

Clonburris (17) near Clondalkin, SW. Dublin,
and C. Cottage.

CLONCA par. (4, 5, etc.) Innishowen bar. NE.
Donegal, contains Malin-169, near Malin Head, is
the most northern part in Ireland. Acres 19,643,



CLO

barren and hilly, rising 8C8 ft. at Crocknamara ;
pop. 6778 + 12. Living, a Rect. (Dy. K.) val. 6C4/.,
patr. Marquis of Donegal. Malin Hall, R. Harvey,
Esq. Druid, and other remains arc found.

CLONCAGH par. (39) Upper Connello bar. S.
Limerick. 2 m. SW. of Ballingarry-141 ; acres
4543, good land ; pop. 1389. Living, a Vic. with
Clonelty ; church, in ruins, on the site of St. Ma-
doc's Abbey.

Cloncamed (35) 6 m. S. of Athboy, W. Meath.

CLONCARRAGH vil. (24) Inchiquin bar. N.Clare,
near Carofin-139.

CI.ONCAT vil. ( ) Upper Kells bar. W. Meath,
3 m. N. of Athboy-34.

Clonconey (42)" 3 m. SE. of Piltown, S. Kil-
kenny, H. H. Briscoe, Esq.

Ctoncosheeran (3) near Dungarvan, S. Water-
ford. Sir J. N. Humble, Bt.

CLONCREW par. (45-54) Upper Connello bar.
S. Limerick, 9 m. SE. of Newcastle-145, belongs
to the see of Limerick. Acres 1715 ; pop. 485.

Cloncullen (30) near Trim, Mid. Meath.

Cloncwnber Lodge (17) 4 m. NE. of Eathangan,
W. Kildare.

CLONCURRY par. (4,5,9) Ikeathy bar. N. Kil-
dare, 3 m. W. of Kilcock-17, on Royal canal, had
remains of a monastery found, by the Roches
1347, and came through the Aylmers to the
Lawless fam. to whom it gives title of baron.
Acres 8390 pasture ; pop. 1(566 + 6. Living a Vic.
with Kilcock. fis^" CLONCURRY dist. par. (12-
17) Ofialy bar. W. Kildare, 3 m. NE. of Rathan-
gan-39. Acres 541 9 ; pop. 644, decreasing.

CLONDAGAD par. (40-1, 49,50) Islands bar.
Mid. Clare, 6 m. SW. of Clare-137, on R. Fergus.
Acres 16,978, two thirds b&g, mountain; pop.
5088 + 43. Living, a Vic (K. K. C. K.) val. 158/.,
patr. Bishop. C. House, .

CLONDAHORKEY par. 23, 26, etc.) Kilmacrenan
bar. N. Donegal, contains Dunfanaghy-170, near
Hornhead and Sheephaven. Acres 29,632, hilly,
with slates, waste, and bog, rising 2190 ft. at
Muckish; pop. 6908+43. Living, a Beet. (Dy.R.)
val. 324/., patr. Trinity Coll. Dublin. Marble Hill,
G. Barclay, Esq. M'Swine's Gun, is a cave
through which the sea rises in stormy weather ;
and there are remains of a friary.

a. CLONDALKIN par. (17-8, 21-2) Upper-
cross and Newcastle bars. 5. Dublin, a police
station, 3 m. NW. Tallaght-6, on Cork rail, and
R. Camma, had a monastery, and a palace
of the danish kings called Dunawley. Acres
4934, with limestone; pop. 2546, decreasing;
of vil. 505. Living, a Vic. (Du. G. K.) with 6
others, val. 499/., patr. Bishop ; church, near the
old monastery, with a stone cross and a round
tower in good condition, 100 ft. high, 15 diam.,
and commanding a fine view. A monastery of
St. Joseph was established here 1813, with a
school attached. Newlands, P. Crotty, Esq.

CLONDAVADDOG par. (16-7, etc.) Kilmacrenan
bar. N. Donegal, G m. N. of Milford-156, near
Faned point and light, between Lough Swilly and
Mulroy bay. Acres 27,367, hilly, with slate
(rising 1196 ft. at Knockalla); pop. 10,344+85.
Living, a Rect. (Dy. R.) val. 481/., patr. Trin.
Coll. Dub. Croaghan House, R. H. Patton, Esq.

CLONDAW vil. (20) Ballaghkeen bar. Mid. Wex-
ford, 3 in. NE. of Enniscorthy-80.

CLONDERALAW BARONY (58, etc.) 5. Clare,
contains the pars, of Kilchrecst, Kilfiddane, Kil-
ladysert, Killimer, Killofin, Kilmihil, and Kil-
muny ; acres 98,541, pop. 29,413, houses 4661.

Chnderalaw (61) 3 m. NE. of Knock, S. Clare,
G. Studdert, Esq. on C. Bay, in R. Shannon.

CLONDERMOT, or GLENDERMOTT, par. (13-4,



CLO



443



20, 22) Tirkeeran bar. W. Londondy. contains
New Buildings and part of Londonderry-143.
Acres 21,509, good ; pop. 10,295. Living, a Rect.
with Templemore, and a Cur. (Dy. R.) val. 109/.,
patr. Dean of Deny.

Clondervis (13) near Oldcastle, W. Meath.

CLONDRA. See Richmond Harbour.

CLONDROIIID par. (58-9, etc.) W. Muskerry
bar. W. Cork, 4 m. NW. of Macroom-171, on R.
Foherish, has several druid, remains, and also
Mccarty's castle of Carrig-a-Phouca, in good
condition. Acres 27,114, hilly, with bog, slate,
freestone ; pop. 6258 + 96. Living, a Rect. (Oo.
R. C.) val. 882/., patr. Bishop. Hanover Hall,
J. Bo wen, Esq.

CLONDUFF par. (47-8, etc.) Upper Iveagh bar.
S. Down. 3 m. S. of Rathfriland, on R. Bame,
under the Mourne mountns., belonged to Bangor
abbey. Acres 21,242, good, with mountain and
bog ; pop. 8687 + 77. Living, a Vic. (Dn. C. D.)
val. 186/., patr. Bishop. A cromlech near this is
said to be the burial-place of Finn-Mac Coul.

CLONDULANE par. (27-8, 35-6) Condons bar.
NE. Cork, 1 m. E. of Fermoy-137, on R. Black-
water. Acres 4926, with limestone; pop. 1823
+ 24. Living, a Vic. Ck. (R. C.) val. 320/., patr.
Bishop. Carey's ville, E. K. Carey, Esq. on the
site of Ballymacpatrick castle, which was taken
1642. Remains of other castles are visible.

CLONE par. (15, 20) Scarewalsh bar. N. Wex-
ford, 2 m. S. of Ferns -72. Acres 6266, good, with
freestone and slate; pop. 1504 + 23. Living, a
Rect. (Os. F. L.) val. 328Z., patr. Bishop. Sols-
borough, Rev. S. Richards.

CLONEA vil. (7) Upper Third bar.^V. Waterford,
5 m. W. of Portlaw-106. ^ CLONEA par. (23,
31-2) Decies-without-Drum bar. 8. Waterford, 4
m. NE. of Dungarvon-124, on C. Bay. Acres
2108 ; pop. 813 + 4. Living, a Vic. with Strad-
bally. C. Castle, W. M'Guire, Esq.

Clonearl (10) near Phillipstown, N. Ring's Co.
W. H. Magan, Esq.

P. CLONEE vil. (51) Dunboyne bar. SE. Meath,
a police station, 8 m. NW. of Dublin. Pop. 255
+ 4. Summerseat, C. Garnet, Esq. l^" Clones
(41) 3 m. N. of Longwood, SW. Meath.

Cloneen (64) 9 m. NE. of Cork, E. Cork.
giTCLONEEN, or CNONYNE, par. (62-3, 70-1) Slie-
vardaghand Middle Third bars. S.Tipperary,4m.

E. of Fethard-103. Acres 7543, arable and
pasture; pop. 1959 + 28. Living, a Rect. with
Felhard.

P. CLONEGALL vil. (18) Upper St. Mullin'a
bar. E. Carlow, 15 m. S. of Carlow, 60 from Dub-
lin, a police station, on R. Deny. Pop. 431, de-
creasing. Fairs, 31 July, 12, 22 Nov. 11 Dec.

Clonegane. See Clonagane, Waterford.

Clonegath (26) 2 m. $E. of Monastereven, W.
Kildare.

Clonegneera House ( ) near Durrow, S. Queen's
Co. P. Hare, Esq.

Clonelly (5) 2 m. NE. of Kesh, N. Fermanagh,

F. W. Barton, on Lough Erne.

CLONELTY par. (28-9, 36-7) Glenguin bar. W.
Limerick, 3 m. E. of Newcastle- 145. Acres 3749,
good; pop. 1437-11. Living, a Vic. (L. A. A.)
with Clonea, val. 170/., patr. Vicars Choral of
Limerick Cathedral. Knockaderry House, T.
D'Arcy Evans, Esq. There are remains of the
church, and a castle.

CLONENAGH and CLONAGHEEN par. (11-3, etc.)
Cullenagh and E. and W. Maryboro' bars. Mid.
Queen's Co. 3 m. SW. of Maryborough-50, on R.
Nore. Acres 47,188, with "bog; pop. 18,403.
Living, &Rect. (Os. F. L.) val. 1422/., patr. Crown
and Bishop.



444



CLO



CLO



Clonervey (21) near Stradone, Mid. Cavan.

P. M. a. CLONES par. (35-6, etc.) Claiikelly bar.
SE. Fermanagh (11-2, etc.) Dartree and Mona-
ghan bars. W. Monaghan, 4 m. NW. Newbliss-72,
a chief police and pettj r sessions station, belonged
to the M'Mahons, and has remains of the abbey
founded by St. Tierney, the abbot of which was
primus abbas with a nearly perfect round tower
ft. high. Acres 42,878, with water, limestone,
and freestone ; pop. 23,506 + 125, of town 2877,
in the linen trade ; houses 410, with 5 chapels,
bank, mkt. house and cross, dispensary, loan fund,
brewery, and Union poor house. Living, a Rect.
(Arm. C.) vaL 1687/,, patr. Sir T. B. Lennard, Bt.
who has the manor through the Loftus family.
Clones P. L. Union, contains 8 electoral divs.
in Monagh. and Ferman. with 18 guardians;
acres 74,505, pop. 42,320, ho. room for 850, cases
relieved (1847-8) 2024 (besides 4009 out-door),
expend. 7625?., prop, rated 55.055Z. Mkt. D. Th.
yarn. Fairs, last Thurs. everv month.

Cloneybain (19) 4m. N. of Ballina, NW. Tip-
perary.

CLONFAD par. (32-3, 39) Fortullagh bar. S.
Westmeath, 3m. W. of Rochfortbridge-49, includes
part of TyrrelPs Pass. Acres 4872, middling,
with limestone and marble ; pop. 1457 + 11. Liv-
ing, a Sect. (Heath) val. 152/., patr. Bishop.
Calverstown, J. Hornidge, Esq. $3T Clonfad (27)
near Kinnegad, SE. Westmeath.

CLONFEACLE par (4, 8) O'Neilland and Ar-
magh bars. NW. Armagh, 3 m. NW. of Armagh
-81, on the Blackwater and Ulster canal, has
remains of O'NiaTs Castle at Benburb, and be-
longed to the Culdees who had a religious house,
first found, by St. Lugaid. faf CLONFEACLE par.
(54-5, 61-2) Dungannon bar. SE. Tyrone. Acres
26,218, good, with lime and freestone and water;
pop. 18,930, decreasing of vil. 123. Living, a
Rect. (Arm. C.) val. 1330/., patr. Trinity ColL
Dublin. Dartray Lodge, seat of W. Olpherts.

CLONFEET par. (12-5, etc.) Duhallow bar. N.
Cork, containing Newmarket-164, and Kanturk,
on R. Allua and other streams, belonged to the
M'Auliffes who have several castles here. Acres
62,110, with bog and mountain and culm; pop.
17,328 + 318. Living, a Vic. (Ck. R. C.) vaL 462/.,
patr. Bishop.

* CLONFERTpar. (100-1, 108-9) Longford bar.
S. Galway, 4 m. NE. of Eyrecourt-101, on R.
Shannon and Gd. canal, a police station, and seat of
a diocese, which grew out of an abbey found. 558
by St. Brendan. Acres 24,876, chiefly bog ; pop.
3704, decreasing. Living, a Vic. (K. K. C. K.)
val. 341Z. ; church, or cathedral, restored by Bp.
Dawson 1630. The diocese to which Kilmacduagh
was united 1587, is now joined to Killaloe and
Kilfenora, in prov. of Armagh ; reaches over
Roscomn., great part of Galway, and a par. in
King's Co. ; extends about 48 m. by 40, or 250,000
acres, of which 7794 belonging to the see, pro-
duced a revenue of 2385Z. ; and comprises 38 pars,
or 17 benefices, of which 12 are Unions, and 10
in patr. of Bishop, 5 of Marq. Clanricarde. The
chap, consists of a dean (458t), archdeacon, and 6
prebendaries. The Rom. cath. diocese suffragan
to Tuam, includes 23 unions, the bishop's seat
being at Loughrea. Fairs, 12 May, 12 Aug.
22 Nov.

Clonfree (29) near Strokestown, Mid. Roscomn.
G. Knox, Esq.

Clonganny (17) 4 m. S. of Ballycane, E. Wex-
ford.

CLONGEEN par. (35, 40) W. Shelmaliere bar.
S. Wexford, 5m. SW. of Taghmon-94. Acres
5379; pop. 1955 + 24 of vil. 154+1. Living,



an impropriate Cur. with Tintem. Long Graigue,
C. Sutton, Esq., where the rebels 1798, had a
skirmish with Sir John Moore.

CLOXGESH par. (4, 8, 9, 13) Longford bar. NW.
Longfd. 3 m. NW. of Longford-73, contains
Newton Forbes, on R. Shannon. Acres 12,832,
good, with bog and limestone; pop. 6504, de-
creasing. Living, a Rect. (K. E. A.) with 2 others,
val. 931Z., patr. Bishop. Castle Forbes, Earl of
Granard.

CLONGILL par. (11, 17-8) Morgallion bar. N.
Meath, 5 m. E. of Kells-30, has an old castle.
Acres 2387, good pasture ; pop. 226, decreasing.
Living, a Rect. (Meath) with Kilshane, val. 2T2/.,
patr. Crown and Bishop. Arch Hall, S. Garnet,
Esq.

CLOXGOREY BAWN hmlt. (8) Connell \>ar.Mid.
Kildare, 3 m. N. of Newbridge-26.

Clongoweswood College (14) near Clane, N. Kit-
dare, was established , for the education of child-
ren of rom. cath. nobilitv and gentry.

Clongouma (2) 10 m. if. of Borrisokane, N. Tip-
pery.

Clonin (11) 4m. NE. of Phillipstown, N.
King's Co.

CLONKEEHAN par. (14) Louthbar. Mid. Louth,
4m. N. of Ardee-43, on R. Glyde. Acres 605,
good land ; pop. 380 + 5. Living, a Rect. with
Charlestown. Corballis, T. L. Norman, Esq.

CLOJTKEEN, or C. KERRILL, par. (56, 72, 85)
Tiaguin bar. Mid. Galway, 8 m. NE. of Athenry
-120, had a franciscan abbey found. 1435 by the
Mall-Kerrills. Acres 8214, good, with bog ; pop.
1971 + 16. Living, a Rect. with Ballymacward.
IgT CLOXKEEN vil. (32) Killian bar.' NE. Gal-
w*zy,6m.NE. ofNewtownBellew-106. i$iPCLON-
KEEX hmlt. (8) Carbury bar. N. Kildare, 9 m.
NW. of Robertstown-29. igfp CLONKEEN par.
(6, 14) Clanwilliam bar. N. Limerick, a police
station, 7m. ESE. of Limerick-119, belongs to
the Bp. of Cashel. Acres 1 143, well cultivated ;
pop. 621 ; church, norman. gig" CLOXKEEN par.
(13-4) Ardee bar. W. Louth, 5m. NW. of Ardee
-43. Acres 4322, hilly, with building stone ; an.
val. 4582Z. ; pop. 2158 + 17. Living, a Rect.
(Arm. C.) val. 263Z., patr. Bishop. Cardistovn,
J. Carraher, Esq.

Clonkerran (3) 8 m. NW. of Robertstown, N.
Kildare.

Clanlack (11) 5 m. NE. of Phillipstown, N.
King's Co.

CLONLEA par. (35, 43) Lower Tulla bar. E.
Clare, 5m. S. of Tulla-127. Acres 8833, with
mountain, bog, and much limestone ; pop. 3749
+ 64. Living, a Rect. with O'Mullod ; and a Vic.
val. 108i, patr. Bishop. Belvoir, J. D. Wilson,
Esq. ; Stackpoole Court (in ruins) gives title of
baron to Earl of Limerick.

Clonlea Lough (43) 6 m. E. of Ennis, Mid. Clare,

Clonlee (36) near Kinnetty, S. King's Co.

CLOXLEIGH, or LIFFORD, par. (63, 70-1, 79)
Raphoe bar. E.Donegal, 3 m. SE. of Raphoe-137.
Acres 12,517 ; pop. 5686, decreasing. Living, a
Rect. (Dy. R.) val. 1049/., patr. Bishop. C. House,
on R. Foyle, Rev. W. Knox.



Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 124 of 293)