COALTON viL Kettle par. Mid. Fife. 4 m. E. of
COALTOWN, EAST, vil. Wemys par. S. Fife,
4 m. NE. of Kirkaldy-14, along R. Forth, con-
tains Methil-hill Farm. Pop. 165. ^?-C.,WEST,
vil. as above. Pop. 372.
COALTOWN OF BALGONiE vil. Markinch par.
S. Fife. 4 m. N. of Dysart-16.
COALVILLE vil. (63) Ibstock par. W. Leicester.,
on Midld. rail., is a Cur. (Pet.) val. 7., patr.
Rev. J. W. Minton.
COALYLAND vil. Alloa par. S. Clackmn. 2 m.
NW. of Clackmannan-32. Pop. 234.
COANWOOD, EAST, tnshp. ( ) Haltwhistle par.
Sir. Northmbrld. 3m. S. of Haltwliistle-284.
Coar's End (7) 3 m. SE. of Beaconsfield, S.
COAT hmlt. (18) Martock par. 5. Somerset. 4 m.
SW. of Ilchester-121. Pop. 175 ; real prop. 24257.
P. COATBRIDGE vil. Old Monkland par. N.
Lanark, near Airdrie-35, on Monkland canal and
Glasg. and Airdrie rail, where it crosses the Cale-
donian, near Dundyvan ironworks. Pop. 1599.
COATDYKE vil. Old Monkland par. N. Lanark.
near the above. Pop. 459.
COATE hmlt. (13) Bampton par. W. Oxford.
2 m. E. of Bampton-71. Pop. 204. C. House,
P. COATE hmlt. (9) Durriugton par. S. Sus-
sex, 3 m. N W. of Worthing-56. tgg' COATE tythg.
(14) Bishop Canning par. Mid. Wilts. 2m. ENE.
of Devizes-89. Pop. 303. igT COATE tythg.
(34) Liddington par. NE. Wilts. 1 m. SE. of
Swindon-80. Pop. 43.
COATES par, (34) Crowthorne hund. Mid.
Gloucest. 3 m. W. of Cirencester-88, near Ake-
man St., Gt. West. Union rail., and Thames and
Severn canal. Acres 2330 ; pop. 373 + 3 ; poor r.
737. (Cirencest. U.) ; real prop. 27007. ; charities
17. St. Matthew Rect. (Gl. and Br.) val. 3C97.,
patr. Rev. W. Dewe. igp COATES hmlt. (44)
Winchcomb par. NE. Gloucest. near Winchcomb
-95. Real prop. 10767. jgg* COATES par. (83)
W. Aslacoe wap. W. Lincoln. 7 m. SE. of Gains-
boro'-148. Acres 950 ; pop. 47 ; poorr. 47. (Gainsb.
U.) ; real prop. 9607. St. Edith Vic. (Line.) val.
507., patr. Sir J. Ramsden, Bt. i^p" COATES
hmlt. (83) Applesthorpe par. NE. Notts. 5 m. S.
of Gainsboro'-148. Pop. 15. ggf COATES par.
(9) Bury hund. Arundel rape, W. Sussex, 2 m.
SSE. of Petworth-49, on R. Rother. Acres 510 ;
pop. 67 ; poor r. 237. (Sutton Incorp.) ; real prop.
4907. Living, a Cur. with Burton ; church, early
eng. fiT COATES tnshp. ( ) Barnoldswick par.
W. R. York. 7 m. SW. of Skipton-216. Acres
700; pop. 101+1; poor r. 327. (Skipt. U_!)
63"" COATES hmlt. (88) Thurgoland tnshp. W. R.
York. 3 m. W. of Barnesley-172.
COATES, GREAT, par. (83) Bradley-Haverstoe
wap. NE. Lincoln. 9 m. NE. of "Caistor-153,
a meet for the Laceby harriers. Acres 2200;
pop. 245 + 1 ; poor r. "857. (Caistor U.) ; real
prop. 18967. St. Nicholas Rect. (Line.) val.
5807., patr. Sir R. Sutton, Bt. ; church, has 2
brasses of the Barnardistons ( 1420, etc.). ^p~ C.,
LITTLE, par. as above, 1 m. SE. Acres 1060 ; pop.
40 ; poor r. 387. (Caistor U.) ; real prop. 37357.
St. Michael Vie. (Line.) val. 1207., patr. Trinity
Coll. Camb. igT C., NORTH, par. as above, 8 m.
SE. Acres 2420 ; pop. 225 + 1; poor r. 477.
(Louth U.) ; real prop. 26257. St. Nicholas Rect.
(Line.) val. 3827., patr. Duchy of Lancaster.
COATFLATT, and COATGILL, hmlts. ( ) Ortou
par. Mid. Westmrld. near Orton-276.
COATHAM, EAST and WEST, hmlts. ( ) Kirk
Leatham tnshp. N. R. York. 5 m. N. of Guisboro'
-245, a coast-gd. station, and bathing-place at R.
Tees' mouth, and meet for the Cleveland hounds.
Pop. 371, fishermen.
P. CoATHAM-MuNDEVTLLE tnshp. ( ) Haugh-
ton-le-Skerne par. S. Durham, 4 m. N. of Dar-
lington- 241, on Newcastle rail, and R. Skerne.
Acres 1500 ; pop. 138 ; poor r. 307. (Darlingt. U.) ;
real prop. 14997. C. Hall, G. Smith, Esq.
COATHILL. SeeCoTEHiLL,(7M/fl7>r7rf. $ST COAT-
HILL hmlt. (88) Warley tnshp. IV. R. York. 4 m.
W. of Halifax-197.
Coal/aw Hill, in Moorfoot range, SE. Edinbro',
COATS, EAST and WEST, vils. Cainbuslang par.
N. Lanark. 4 m. S. of GIasgow-44. Pop. 286,
COATSAWMOOR tnshp. ( ) Heigliington par.
5 m. NNVV. of Darlington-141. Acres 510; pop.
19 ; real prop. 37 &l.
COATYARDS tnshp. ( ) Nether- Witton par.
chplry. Mid. Northmbrld. 7 m. WNW. of Morpeth
-289. Pop. 20.
Cobb. See LYME REGIS, Dorset.
COBBIN END (1) 2m. NE. of Waltham abbey,
Cobbin's Hall (1) m. NE. of Waltham, as
Cobbler. See Sen Arthur, Argyll.
Cobbroo (73) near Ballincollig, Mid. Cork.
Cobhall (52) 4 m. NE. of Harrold, N. Beds.
P. COBHAM par. (6) Shamwell bund. Ayles-
ford lathe, NW. Kent, 4 m. SSE. of Gravesend-22,
on Watling St., and once a mkt. town, belonged
to the Cobhams (of whom was Oldcastle the
martyr), and being forfeited to the Crown,
was granted by Jas. 1. to the Stewarts, and
came to the Blighs. Acres 2800 ; pop. 758 + 2 ;
poor r. 350/. (N. Aylesf. U.) ; real prop. 44261. ;
charities 224/., of which 220/. to C. College, b.
1598 on the site of an older one, for 20 persons.
St. M. Magdalen Vic. (Roch.) val. 94/., patr.
Earl of Daruley, of C. flail ; church, early eng.
in part, and formerly collegiate, with a fine
view from churchyard, has a rich collection
of 18 brasses of the Cobhams and others, in-
cluding canopied ones of Lady Joan C. 1320, Sir
Jno. de C. 1354, Lady Margaret C. 1395, Sir John
C. (founder of college) 1407, Reginald C. a priest
1420, Ralph de C. in armour 1402, Sir R. Bray-
brooke 1-105, Sir N. Hawberk (very good) 1407,
Sir J. Brooke and lady (canopied) 1506, etc. The
Hall, half H -shaped, designed by I. Jones, and
restored by Wyatt, contains portraits by Van-
dyke, Rubens's ' Death of Cyrus,' with many va-
luable marbles and paintings ; the well-wooded
Park, which covers 1800 acres, has a large mau-
soleum in the grecian style, a noble avenue of
elms, limes, etc. to the vil., some oaks 25 and
30 ft. girth, and many charming prospects. Fair,
P. COBHAM par. (8) Second Elmbridge hund. N.
Surrey, 6 m. W. of Epsom-15, on R. Mole, includes
C. Street on Stane St. Acres 5240, part common ;
pop. 1617 + 19 ; poor r. 815/. (Epsom U.) ; real prop.
9597/. ; charities 411. St. Andrew Vic. (Win.)
val. 150/., patr. Rev. C. Weston ; church, has 3
brasses of a priest, etc. (from 1530). C. Park, seat
of H. Combe, fonnerly of the Downes, Ligoriiers,
and others; C. Court f . Fairs, 17 Mar. 11 Dec.
Cobler'a Green (47) 4 m. SE. of Duumow, Mid.
COBLEY tnshp. (54) Tardebigg par. Warwick.
locally in Worcester. 2 m. SE. of Bromsgrove-116,
on Birm. canal, is joined to TUTNALL.
Cobourg linage (28) 4 m. SW. of Newbridge,
P. COBRIDGE hmlt. (72) Burskm and Stoke-
on-Trent pars. N. Stafford, near Burslem-152, was
formerly called Rushton. Pop. in the potteries.
Christ Church Cur. (Lich.) val. 1001., patr. Rect.
of Burslem. It has an unendowed school.
Coccium of the Romans, is RIBCHESTER, Lane.
COOK BEVINGTON. Se BEVINGTON, Warwh.
fliT C.Common (48) 3m. NE. of Colchester, NE.
Essex. &JT C. Fosters (7) 2 m. E. of Chipping
Barnet, NE. Middlesex. ^" C. HILL hmlt. ( )
Moor Monkton tnshp. York Ainstv, 6 m. NW. of
York-199. 63" C 1 . ofArran, near N. end of Arran,
lii,tfsh. a great stone on the beach, which serves
as a seamark. gig C. River ( ) which rises above
Abberford, W. R. York, and runs 10 m. NE. to
the Wharfe below Tadcastle, is memorable for the
battle of Towton fought 1461, when it -was
choked with the bodies of the slain, ggp- C
Street (11) 2 m. SE. of Bishop's Waltham, SE.
Hants, on the roman way to Winchester.
Street (6) 3 m. S. of Maidstone, Mid. Kent.
Wat (48) 1 m. S. of Colchester, NE. Essex,
Cockairney, 4 m. W. of Burntisland, S W. Fife.
R. Moubray, Esq. a very old family.
COCKAYNE-HATLEY par. (52) Biggleswade
hund. E. Beds. 5 m. NE. of Biggleswade-45.
Acres 1460 ; pop. 99 ; poor r. 881. (Bigglesw. U.) ;
real prop. 10467. ; charities 21. St. J. Baptist
Rect. (Ely) val. 15U, patr. Rev. H. Cust.
Cockburn Bank, at the mouth of the Channel,
in lat. 49 50' N., long. 9 W., a sand, with 59 to
68 fath. on it, and 71 to 80 in mud, off it.
Cockburnlaw Hill, 4 m. NNE. of Dunse par.
Mid. Berwick, 912 ft. high, near R. Whiteadder,
has on the side, remains of Woden's or Edwin's
Hall, a pictish fort, surrounded by 3 walls of whin-
P. COCKBVRN'S PATH, or COPPERSMITH, par.
near the coast, N. Berwick, 18 m. NW. of Ber-
wick, 35 from Edinburgh, on N. Brit. rail, at the
end of Lammermuir, includes Auldcambus (with
the ruins of St. Helen's Kirk, once a cell to
Durham), and was called Coldbrandspath, after a
resident at the Old Tower. Size 7 m. by 4, or 8000
acres, partly low, but mostly hilly, schistose, with
sandstone, coal, and cliffs of lOO'ft. by the shore,
which has a fishing pier ; pop. 1149 + 1 ; real prop.
8725/. ; for peer 2337. Living (presb. Dunbar) val.
2467., patr. Crown. Dunglas, Sir J. Hall, Bt., once
the Homes and Douglases' seat, which Jas. VI.
visited 1603 and 1617. The road is carried over the
Peas or Peath, by a bridge 123 ft. high and 300
long, b. 1786. Not far is Fast Castle, the original
of the Master of Ravenswood's ; and there are re-
mains of camps about.
COCKBURY hmlt. (44) Winchcomb par. NE.
Gloucester, near Winchcomb-95.
COCKEN tnshp. ( ) Houghton-le-Spring par.
NE. Durham, 3 m. NE. of Durham-258, on R.
Wear, in a fine country. Acres 380, with coal ;
pop. 65 ; poor r. 157. (Chester-le-Street U.) ; real
prop. 6977. C. Hall, commanding good prospects,
W. S. Carr, Esq., opposite Finchale priory.
COCKENZIE par. q. s. in Tranent and Preston-
pans pars. W. Haddington. 1 m. NE. of Preston-
pans- 9, a sub-port to Leith, on Frith of Forth.
Pop. 1061, in the saltworks and fisheries. Living
(presb. Hadding.) val. /., patr. Communicants.
Cocken Hatch (47) 4 m. SE. of Royston, NE.
Herts, seat of Gen. Sir W. Clinton, belonged to
Royston priory, and was afterwards given to the
Cocker River ( ) runs 10 m. NNW., through
Buttermere and Crummock water to R. Derwent
at Cockermo', W. Cumbrld.
COCKERHASI par. ( ) S. Lonsdale hund. N.
Lancash. 6 m, S. of Lancaster-240, on the small
R. Cocker, which runs to the bay, near Preston
canal and rail., contains Ellel, Shireshead, Dol-
phinholme curs., and Thurnham, the seat of the
Daltons. Acres 10,420, of tnshp. 4860 ; pop.
3230 + 44, and 847 + 27, in the silk mills ; poor r.
3417. (Lancast. U.); real prop. 75447. ; charities
2 1/., of which 157. to school. St. Michael Vic.
(Manch.) val. 6557., patr. Lord of the Manor, J.
Dalton, Esq. At C. Point, and Plover Rock, are
2 fixed lights, 54 and 20 ft. high, put up 1847, to
lead into the channel, and seen 9 m. Fair, Easter
Cockerfiam House (2G) 1 m. N. of S. Molton, N.
Devon. R. Harding, Esq.
COCKERINGTON, NORTH, or ST. MART, par. (84)
Louth Eske hund. NE. Lincoln. 4 m. NE. of
Louth-143, belonged to the Scroopes, of whom
were Adrian the puritan regicide, and Sir Adrian
the royalist, and his son Sir Carr, the poet of Ch.
II.'s time. Acres 2030; pop. 227 + 2 ; poor r.
1271. (Louth U.) ; real prop. 2509Z. ; charities
28/., of which 20/. to Scroope's school. St. Mary
Cur. with Alvington. ^ C., SOUTH, or ST.
LEONARD, par. as above, 1 m. S. Acres 1430 ;
pop. 246 + 3 ; poor r. 114/. ; real prop. 27771. St.
Leonard Fie. (Line.) val. 163/., patr. Bishop.
## P. M. 21. COCKERMOUTH chplry. ( )
Brigham par. Allerdale-above-Derwent ward,
W. Cumbrld. 25 m. SW. of Carlisle, 306 from
London (or 341 by C. Rail."), where R. Cocker
joins R. Derwent, the place of election, a
polling and sessions town, and an Honour,
which came to Waldeof lord of Allerdale (who
built the castle in the Conqueror's time), and
through the Umfrevilles, Lucies, Percies, and
Seymours, to the Wyndhams, to whom it gave
the title of baron; has returned two members
from the time of Ch. I., the limits under the Re-
form act including the tnshps. of Eaglesfield,
Brigham, Papcastle, Bridekirk, and part of Do-
venby, no. of electors 339 (of IQL houses 1629) ;
and is unincorporated, being nominally governed
by a bailiff. Acres of boro' 9500, hilly, of old
boro' and tnshp. 2680 ; pop. 6420, and 4940 +41,
in a prosperous manufact. of coarse woollens,
cotton checks, ginghams, hats, stockings, and in
the tan works, collieries, etc. ; houses 1086, with
a public walk by the river 1 m. long, 3 chapels,
new moot-hall and mkt. place, house of cor-
rection, Ld. Wharton's gram, school (24Z.) with
a library attached, 2 banks, Leathe's widow's
hosp., schools, dispensary, savings bk. (34,453Z.
from 1229 depositors), Derwent 2-arched bridge
of 270 ft., Cocker 1-arched bridge of 160 ft.,
Union p. house ; assd. taxes 609/. ; poor r. 1323Z.
on 11.463Z. ; real prop. 15.377ZL ; charities 66/. St.
Mary Cur. (Ches.) val. 132Z., patr. Earl of Lons-
dale; church, b. 1711 and enlarged 1825. The
castle, b. out of the ruins of Papcastle, the old
seat of the lords, and dismantled 1648 by Parl.,
has remains of the walls, west front, drawbridge,
tower with dungeon underneath, gatehouse with
arms of the lords, as above. Wordsworth the poet
was a native (1770-1850). It was surprised by
Douglas 1387, and Mary Q. of Scots was here in
1568. A roman way went to Carlisle from Pap-
castle fort, the ancient Derventio, where many
antiquities have been found, now seat of Major
Skelton ; St. Helens, Rev. J. Bensour ; Woodhall,
J. Fisher, Esq. C. Rail. 8J m. long, down the
Derwent to Workington, was made 1845-7 ; cap.
143,333/., reed. (June 1849) 106.666Z., expend.
126,9G4Z. Cockermo' P. L. Union, contains the
pars, (with their tnshps.) etc. of Bassenthwaite,
Borrowdale, Bridekirk, Brigham, Buttcrmere,
Cammerton, Cockermouth, Gt. Clifton, Cross-Ca-
nonby, Crossthwaite, Dean, Dearham, Embleton,
Flimby, Gilcrux, St. John's Isell, Keswick, Lor-
ton, Loweswater, Mosser, Plumbland, Setmurthy,
Workington, Wythrop, with Allerby, Bewaldeth,
Bothel ; acres 106,756, pop. 35,676, cases relieved
(jr. 1846-7) 2782 (out-door 2484), expend. 7996*.
prop, rated 127,353Z. Sup. Registry comprises
the same up to Wythrop, with Maryport, New-
lands, Tuornthwaite ; pop. 35,681+348, births
(1845) 1153 (555 being females 95 illegit.)
deat.hs 698 marriages 208, of which 105 persons
signed with marks : 97 and ' many more ' deaths
from cholera in 1849. The New County Court dis-
trict corresponds with the Registry, except Kes-
wick sub-district, Newlands, and Buttermere,
which go to Keswick. Mkt. D. Mon. Fairs,
every other Wed. from May to Sept. 1 Oct, cattle ;
Whit. Mon. and Martinmas Mon. hiring.
Cockernhoe Green (46) 3 m. NE. of Luton, N.
Cochersand Abbey ext. par. ( ) at R. Cocker's
mouth, N. Lancash. 6 m. S.byW. of Lancaster,
near Cockerham, as above, was found. 1190, by
Theobald, brother of Abp. Hubert, and restored
for a time after the dissolution by Hen. VIII.
The octangular chapter-house and part of the
walls remaining belong to the Daltons of Thurn-
P. COCKERTON tnshp. ( ) Darlington par. S.
Durham, 1 m. NW. of Darlington-241, on a branch
of R. Skerne. Acres 1580 ; pop. 482 + 6, linen-
weavers ; poor r. 73Z. (Darlingt. U.) ; real prop.
COCKET vil. (37) Swansea par. W. Glamorgan.
Cocket Wick (48) 11 m. SE. of Colchester, NE.
COCKEY. See AINSWORTH, Lanccah.
COCKFIELD par. ( ) SW. Darlington ward, S.
Durham, 6 m. NE. of Barnard Castle-246, contains
Ingleton Cur. and Woodland, near C. Fell, where
are lines of entrenchments and coal has been
worked for 5 centuries. Acres 5230 ; pop. 1187
+ 39 ; poor r.!63/.(TeesdaleU.) ; real prop.2169/. ;
charities 5Z. Living, a Rect. (Dur.) val. with
Staindrop 3547., patr. Duke of Cleveland. In the
Whinstone Dyke, which crosses here, the coal
seams are " thrown up to the S. three fathoms"
out of place.
P. COCKFIELD par. (50) Babergh hund. W.
SuffoUi, 6 m. SSE. of Bury-St. Edmunds-71, be-
longed to Bury abbey. Acres 3470, part common ;
pop. 951 ; poor r. 330Z. (Cosford U.) ; real prop.
5282Z. ; charities 9/. St. Peter Rect. (Ely) val.
635Z., patr. St. John's Coll. Camb. C. Hall, seat
of Sir C. Blois, Bt., through the Brookes. Earl's
Hall, belonged to the De Veres, earls of Oxford.
Cockhampstead (47) 4 m. NW. of Bishop Stort-
ford, NE. Herts.
Cockhaven (22) near Bishop's Teignton, SE.
Devon. Lady F. Stephens.
Cockhill (29) near Buncrana, NE. Donegal.
gg" Cockkill (59) 3 m. NE. of Killarney, Mid
Kerry. |^ COCKHILL, limit. ( ) Castle Gary
par. SE. Somerset, near Castle Cary-113.
P. COCKING par. (9) Easebourne hund. Chi-
chester rape, W. Sussex, 3 m. S. of Midhurst-50,
is noted for its pippins. Acres 2370, hilly ; pop.
464 + 1 ; poor r. 290/. (Midhurst U.) ; real prop.
2325Z. ; charities, Challen's 47. Living, a Vic.
(Chic.) val. 250Z., patr. Bishop ; church, early eng.
COCKINGTON par. (22) Haytor hund SE. De-
von. 6 m. S. of Newton Bushel-188, near Tor Bay,
was onc a mkt. town. Acres 1560 ; pop. 203 ;
poor r. 36/. (Newton Abbot U.) ; real prop. 24487. ;
charities 411. of which 37/. to Gary's almsh.
Living, a Cur. with Tor Mohun; church, with
an 8-sided font and screen, is full of tombs of the
Carys of Tor abbey.
Cocklade, or Cockglode (82) m. NW. of Ol-
lerton, Mid. Notts, was seat of Dr. Aldrich.
COCKLAKE (19 j 3 m. S. of Axmiuster, N. So-
COCKLAW tnshp. ( ) St. John Lee par. S.
Northmbrld. 4 m. N. of Hexham-279, near the
Wall, and N. Tyne. Pop. 172. C.Tower, in ruins,
was the seat of the Erringtons. C. H'alls, 6 m.
NE. near Throckinytou.
Cockle Gat, or N. passage to Yarmouth Roads,
E. Norfolk, lying between the Barber and Cockle
sand W. and Scroby sand to E., is about 1 m.
broad, with 5 to 1 fath., and has C. light, in lat.
52 42' N. long. 1 47/ E. put up 1843, 36 ft.
high, and seen 63 m. |gT C. Hill (28) 3 ra. SE.
of Dromore, W. Down. |gT C. PAKK tnshp. ( )
Hebburn par. chplry. E. Northml>rld. 3 m. N. of
Morpeth-289, was part of Bothal barony. Pop. 53 ;
poor r. 197. (Morpeth U.). C. Tower, belonging
to the Ogles, formerly to the Bertrams, is machi-
colated, and has two curious fire-places in it.
Coclderne Hill near Linlithgow, W. Linthgiv.
500 ft. high, has traces of a camp, and a hole
called Wallace's cradle at the top.
CockleyBeck ( ) at the head of Scathwaite vale,
S. Cumbrld. under Wry Nose fell. ^g C. CLEY
par. (65) S. Greenhoe hund. W. Norfolk, 4 m.
SW. of Swaffham-92. Acres 4370 ; pop. 244 + 3 ;
poor r. 155/. (Swaff. U.) ; real prop. 13537. ; cha-
rities 167. St. Peter Rect. (Xorw.) val. 1587.,
patr. Mrs. Dashwood ; parsonage was St. Mary's
chapel. C. C. House, T. Buck, Esq.
COCKPEN par. 7 m. SE. of Edinbro', Mid.
Edinb. on the S. Esk, contains Stobbs' powder
factory. Size 2i m. by 1J with coal, stone ; pop.
2345 + 32 ; real " prop. 10,1807. ; for poor 5657.
Living (presb. Dalkeith) val. 1577., patr. Earl of
Dalhousie, chief heritor, of Dalhousie cast, which
has been modernised, and stands opposite the
site of C. House, which belonged to the " laird of
Cockpen " of the song.
Cockpoll Green (7) 3 m. SE. of Henley-on-
Thames, E. Berks.
Cock's Bridge (81) 3 m. NE. of Castleton, N.
Derby, igp C. Hill (25) 7 m. NE. of Tavistock,
-S \V. Devon.
Cochshot ( ) near Keswick, S. Cumbrld. has a
good view of Derwentwater.
COCKSHUTT tnshp. (73) with Crosemere, Elles-
mere par. N. Salop, 4 m. SE. of Ellesmere-169, is
a petty sess. town. Pop. 434. St. Helen Cur.
(Ljch.) val. 86/., patr. Vicar.
Cockstones ( ) a stone or druid circle, N, West-
mrld. between Askham and Ulleswater.
COCKTHORPK par. (68) N. Greenhoe hund. N,
Norfolk, 4 m. NE. of Walsingham-113, near the
coast, remarkable as the birthplace of three great
seamen, Mengs (killed 1666), Narborough, who
was his cabin boy (died 1688), and Shovell,
who was Narborough's (drowned 1708). Acres
530 ; pop. 42 ; poor r. 58/. (Walsingh. U.) ; real
prop. 6377. All Saints Rect. (Norw.) val. with
Bliikeney, Lit. Langham and Glandford, 5067.,
patr. Lord Calthorpe. iJaT" COCKTHORPE chplry.
(13) Ducklington par. W. Oxford. 2 m. S. of
Witnev-65, on R. Windrash, near C. Park, W.
Strickfand, Esq. a meet for the old Berkshire
COCKWOOD hmlt. (22) Dawlish par. E. Devon.
(5 m. E. of Chudleigh-182, at R. Ex's mouth.
Pop. 98. C. House, Rev. Dr. Drury.
Codale ( ) 2 m. W. of Bampton, N. Westmrld.
gave name to the Cundales of B. Hall, and con-
tains a cairn called the ' old church.'
CODBRO' quarter (54) Tamworth par. W.
Warwick. 4 m. N\V. of Henley -in-Arden-102.
P. CODDENHAM par. (50) Bosmere hund. Mid.
Suffolk, 3 m. SE. of Needham Mkt.-74, has a
savings bk. (26,6 17/. from 946 depositors). Acres
1540, part common ; pop. 924 + 1 ; poor r. 3837.
(Bosm. U.); real prop. 48927.; charities 807. to
Lady Gardeman's school, and poor. St. Mary
Vic. (Xorw.) val. with Crowfield 10097., patr. Rev.
J. Longe, vicar. Shrubland Hall, seat of Sir W.
Middleton, Bt., formerly of the Bacons, in the
midst of fine chesnuts. Fair, 2 Oct.
CODDINGTON par. (73) Higher Broxton hund.
SE. Cheshire, 6 m. N. of Malpas-168, containing
Aldersey and Chowley, and once a mkt. town,
was an old seat of the Botelers, Massies, and Cod-
dingtons. Acres 2640, of town 1220; pop. 324
and 109 ; poor r. 1251. (Gt. Boughton U.) ; real
prop. 19807. ; charities 21. St. Mary Rect. (dies.)
val. 2627., patr. Dean and Chap, who have the
manor; church, with norman columns, early
eng. arches, and modern belfry. g3" COD-
DINGTON par. (43) Radlow hund. E. Hereford.
3 m. N. of Ledbury-120. Acres 1510, part
in hops; pop. 158; poor r. 397. (Ledb. U.); real
prop. 13377. ; charities 377. All Saints Rect.
(Heref.) val. 170/., patr. Bishop, i^" CODDING-
TON par. (70) S. Newark wap. E. Notts. 2 m. E.
of Newark-124. Acres 1850, part moorland ; pop.
436 ; poor r. 1537. (NewarkU.) ; real prop. 34027. ;
charities 1447. of which Birche's 1417. All Saints
Cur. with E. Stoke ; church, ancient.
CoddonHill ( )2 m. S. of Barustaple, N.Devon.
623 ft. high.
P. CODFOUD, ST. MARY, par. (14) Heytesbury
hund. S. Wilts. 7 m. SE. of Warminster-96, on
R. Wiley, under Ogbury camp or circle on C. Hill,-
supposed to have been used for heathen rites.
Acres 1540 ; pop. 338 + 5 ; poor r. 2517. ( Warmin.
U.) ; real prop. 36457. Living, a Rect. (Sal.) val.
3067., patr. St. John's Coll. Camb. giT C., ST.
PETER, par. as above, m. W. contains Ashton-
Gifford. Acres 1770 , pop. 394 ; poor r. 1267. ; real
prop, with the above. Living, a Rect. (Sal.) val.
3807., patr. Pemb. Coll. Oxon. ; church, part
norman, with stone pulpit and square zig-zag
Codham Hall (47) 3 m. N. of Braintree, N.
Essex, was seat of the Lukes, where Butler wrote
part of ' Hudibras.'
CODICOTE par. (46) Cashio hund. Mid. Herts.
8 m. SSE. of Hitchin-34, was once a mkt. town.
Acres 2580 ; pop. 906 + 10, straw platters ; poor r.
4157. (Hitchin U.) ; real prop. 42087. ; charities
147. St. Giles Vic. (Roch.) val. 149/., patr. Bishop
of Ely. C. Bury, G. Wynam, Esq. near a roman
camp ; C. Lodge, C. Tapp, Esq. Fair, Whit. Mon.
Codling Ridges, three shoals, off E. Wicklow,
about 8 m. SE. of Bray Head, in a space 4 m. long,
and broad, buoyed, with 6 ft. water only in the
CODNOR hmlt. (71) Heanor par. E. Derby. 5
m. ENE. of Belper-134, near Cromford canal and
rail. Pop. 1314, stocking makers on 137 frames,
and in the iron works ; poor r. 2067. (Basford U.) ;
real prop. 51197. Living, a Cur. (Lich.) val. 1507.,
patr. Crown and Bishop. gSp" C. PARK ext. par.
near the above, has, on a hill, ruins of the castle
which belonged to the Greys of C., and came to
the Zouches and others. Acres 1320 ; pop. 815 ;
poor r. 667. ; real prop. 21617. Bp. Grey, Lord
Treasurer, was a native.
CODRINGTON par. (35) Lower Grumbalds Ash
hund. SW. Gloucest.2m. S. of Chipping Sodbury
-108 is joined to WAPLEY, and is a meet for the
Beaufort hounds. C. Court gives name to the
Codringtons of Dodington Park.
Codntm (70) near Macroom, W. Cork, M. H.
Cod's Head (114) near Conlagh Bay, W. Cork.
CODSALL. par. (62) S. Seisdon hund. SW
Stafford. 5 m. NW. of Wolverhampton-123, near
Shrewsb. and Ches. rail, contains Oaken. Acres
2580, with a sulphur spring ; pop. 1096 ; poor r.
1387. (S. Seisdon U.) ; real prop. 48067. ; ch.uitirs
587. St. Xicholasfur. (Lich.) val. 1467., patr. Lord
G G 4
Wrottesley of Wrottesley Hall ; church, early eng.
with norman traces, fine carved roof, and tombs of
CODSHEATH HUNDRED (61) Sutton-at-hone
lathe, NW. Kent, contains the pars, of Brasted,
Chevning, Halstead, Kemsing, Leigh, Otford,
Seal, Seven Oaks, Shoreham, and Sundridge;
acres 37,720, pop. 13,866, houses 2541.
Coed CasteU (36) 3 m. NW. of Newport, SJF.
Monmo'. gif C. Cleiston (57) 3 m. NXE. of
Lampeter, SW. Cardigan. igp C. Cock (79)
near Bettws, NIV. Denlngh. igp" C.-Gwydir