Copyright
James A Sharp.

A new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) online

. (page 13 of 293)
Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 13 of 293)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


early eng. on site of a norman one.

AMBROSETOWN par. (41, 46) Bargy bar. S.
Wexford, 4 m. SSW. of Taghmon-94, contains
Tullycanna. Acres 2197, good land ; pop. 690, de-
creasing. Living, a Rect. with Duncormuck.

AMCOTTS tnshp. (86) Althorpe par. NW.
Lincoln. 5 m. E. of Crowle-162. on R. Trent, had
St. Thorn. JiBecket's chapel, which fell down 1849.
Pop. 417 + 6.

Amen Hill (61) near Shrewsbury, Mid. Salop.
lias a fine prospect.

America (51) 7 m. W. of Ely, Mid. Cambridge.

P. M. AMERSHAM par. (7) Burnham hund.
SE. Bucks, and Dacorum hund. Herts. 29 m. SE.
of Buckingham, 26 from London (or 30 by N.
West, rail.), among the hills by R. Misbourne,
containing Coleshill, was the saxon Agmundes-
ham, and a boro' (from Jas. I. and Edw. I. to II.),
returning two members (among others Waller
and Alg. Sydney), till disfranchised by the Re-
form act. Acres 8230; pop. 3645 + 83, in the
manufact. of cotton, straw plat, black lace, silk
crape, and wooden chairs ; houses 554, in a long
street, with 3 chapels, townhall, and mkt. ho.
on pillars (b. 1682, by Sir W. Drake), Dr.
Challoner's free gram, school (86Z.), found. 1620,
with 3 exhibitions at Oxford, lord Cheyne's
writing-school (20Z.), Drake's almshouses (ISO/.)
and Sunday school (111.), Mrs. Bent's almsh. (40Z.)
for 6 widows, Bennett's and Hall's almsh., and
Union p. house ; poor r. 1197Z. on 8844Z. ; real prop.
4859Z. ; charities 428Z. St. Mary Rect. (Oxon.)
val. 1331/., patr. T. T. Drake, Esq. of Shardeloes,
who has the manor (through the Tothills), which
belonged to the Neviles and Warwick the king-
maker ; church, has a painted window and tombs
of the Drakes. Wm. Tillsworth and other suf-
ferers were burnt here in Mary's reign. Amers.
P. L. Union contains the pars. etc. of Amers-
ham, Beaconsfield, Chalfont (St. Giles and St.
Peter), Chenies, Chesham and Ch. Bois, Lee,
Gt. Missenden, Penn, Sear Green, in Bucks, with
Coleshill, Herts. \ acres , pop. 18,207, cases
relieved (yr. 1846-7) 2663 (out-door 2327), ex-
pend. 8836Z., prop, rated 60,078Z. Sup. Registry
comprises the same up to Penn, with Latimer-
Islehampstead ; pop. 18,212 + 87, deaths from
cholera (1849) 42. It is divided between Chesham
and Gt. Marlow New County Courts. Mkt. D.
Tues. Fairs, Whit Mond. 5 Sept. for sheep.

Amerston Hall ( ) 7 m. N. of Stockton-on-
Tees, SE. Durham, near A. Hill.

AMERTON tnshp. (72) Stowe par. Mid. Staffd.
5 m. NE. of Stafford-141. Pop. 120. t^ A.
Bank (7) 2 m. SE. of Maidenhead, S. Berks, on
the Thames.

AMESBURY HUNDRED (14) SE. Wilts, contains
the pars, of Allington rect., Amesbury cur., Bos-
combe r., Bulford, W. Cholderton r., Durnford vie.,



Durrington c., Figheldean v., Ludgershall
ton, *Newton-Toney r., N. Tidworth, W. Wei-
low, and parts of Hurst, Shinfield, Swallow-
field, and Wokingham ; acres 42,620, pop. 7142,
houses 1416. >fc A. DEANERY, archdy. and dioc.
of Sarum, contains the benefices marked in the
above and Alderbury hunds., with Bramshaw c.,
Landford r., Whiteparish v., *Wilsford v., Winter-
borne-Charboro' r.

P. AMESBURY par. in the above hund. 7m.
N. of Salisbury, 77 from London, or 104 by S.
West, rail., a decayed mkt. town on Salisbury-
Plain and R. Avon (where delicious loach are
caught), near Stonehenge, containing LITTLE
or WEST A. hmlt. (pop. 65), was the saxon
Ambresbury, so called after Ambrosius, a de-
scendant of Constantine, and successor to Vor-
tigern, or from Ambrius, a monk who found, a
monastery here, and had a rich mitred abbey
or nunnery, found. 980, by Elfrida, wife of K.
Edgar, made a cell to Fontevrault 1177, placed
under Hen. III.'s wife Eleanor (who died here
1291), val. 496Z. and given to the Hertfords, along
with the manor, which was held by Will. Long 1 -
sword, the Lacys, Warrens, Montacutes, etc.
Acres 6060, good, with pipe clay ; pop. 1171 +
23 ; houses 213, with a chapel, Rose's gram,
school (65Z.), Spratt's free sch. (50Z.); poor r.
544Z. on 6599Z. ; real prop. 7057Z. ; charities 157Z.
St. Mary and St. Melorin Cur. (Sal.) val. 141Z.,
patr. Dean and Chap, of Windsor ; church, nor-
man, but much altered, with foliated windows,
corbels, font, and a brass (1470). A. Park, Sir
E. Antrobus, Bt. on the site of the nunnery, was
b. by Inigo Jones, for the Duke of Queensbury
(with whom Gay here spent part of his life), and
given to some refugee nuns from France at the Re-
volution of 1789. Addison was born at Milston,
and Vespasian's camp, the Cursus, and several bar-
rows are near. Amesb. P. L. Union contains the
pars. etc. in the hund. above, up to Fighelden,
with those marked *, and Idmiston, Maddington,
Orcheston (St. George and St. Mary), Rollstone,
Shrewton, Tilshead, Winterborne Earls, Wint.
Dauntsay, Wint. Gunner, Wint. Stoke, Woodford ;
acres 63,590, pop. 7698, cases relieved (yr. 1846-7)
903 (out-door 698), expend. 4240Z., prop, rated
53,923. Sup. Registry comprises the same (pop.
7706 + 62), and is part of Salisbury New County
Court. Fairs, 17 May, 22 June, 6 Oct. 18 Dec.
horses, cattle.

Ameshaugh ( ) 2 m. S. of Alston, E. Cumbrld.
on R. Tyne.

AMESTON vil. Inverkeilor par. E. Forfar. 5 m.
NE. of Arbroath-62, has A., or Anniston, House,
J. Rait, Esq.

Amfield House (11) 6 m. SW. of Winchester,
Mid. Hants, near Salisb. rail., J. White, Esq.

Amigan Castle (20) near Croagh, Mid. Limerick,
a ruin.

AMINGTON. See ALMINGTON, Warwick.

P. AMISFIELD vil. Tinwald par. Mid. Dumf. 4 m.
NNE. of Dumfries-73, on R. Locker, has re-
mains of a roman camp, and of the Charteris'
Tower, with a curiously carved door. Pop. 140.

Amisfield Park, 1 m. E. of Haddington, Mid.
Hadngtn. on R. Tyne, seat of Earl Wemyss,
through the Charteris family, has Rubens' ' Ver-
tumnus and Pomona,' and some other good
paintings.

* P. M. AMLWCH par. (78) Twrcelyn hund.
N. Anglesey, 15m. NW. of Beaumaris, 261 from
London, a sub-port to Beaum. on the Irish sea,
has grown up since 1762, contains Llan-wenllwyfo
Cur. and Llanerchymedd, and is a contributory
boro' to Beaumaris, under the Reform bill, no.



AMM



AMW



of electors . Pop. of par. 6217 (boro' 3373),
of town 1243, employed in the rich copper mines
(285 hands) of Parys mountain (belonging to
Marq. of Anglesey and Ld. Dinorben), in the
smelting, alum, and vitriol works, and shoe mak-
ing (132) ; houses include 4 chapels, bank, brew-
ery, Kynier's school (15); poor r. 1611/. on!
7423Z. (Angles. U.) ; real prop. 4717/. St. Elaeth !
Cur. (Ban.) val. 217/., patr. Bishop; church, b. j
1801. The harbour, cut out of the cliff, admits !
200-ton ships, and has a breakwater, but is ex-
posed to 'N. winds, with the E. Mouse and other
rocks lying off it ; a fixed light on the N. pier in
lat. 53"25' N., long. 40 20' W., is 26 ft. high, and
seen 9 m. Soapstone is found. Fair, 12 Nov. cattle.

Amman, or Ammond, River (41) rises in the
Mynydd Du, or Black mountains, SE. Carmar-
then, and falls into R. Loughor at Bettws.

Ammerdown (19) 5 m. NW. of Frome, E. So-
merset J. Jolliffe, Esq.

Atnnish, Upper and Lower, (55) 2 m. E. of Leo-
minter, N. Hereford.

AMORIL vil. (19) Batheaston par. NE. Somerset.
2 m. NE. of Bath-104.

AMOTHERLEY chplry. ( ) Appleton-le-Street
par. N. R. York. 2 m. NW. of New Malton
-217, near R. Eye. Acres 1580; pop. 239; poor r.
129/. (Malt. U.) ; real prop. 1837/.

AMOUNDERXESS HUNDRED ( ) Mid. Lancash.
contains Fleetwood, the pars, of Bispham cur.,
Garstang, Kirkham vie., Lytham c., St. Michael-
on-Wyre e., Poulton-le-Fylde v-, Preston v., and
parts of Lancaster ., and Ribchester v. ; acres
145,110 of moor and marsh, pop. 93,033, houses
16,332. ifc A. (or ST. ANDREW'S) DEANERY,
archdy. and dioc. of Manch. includes the benefices
marked above, with Chipping v., ChurchTown v.,
Cockerham v.

AMPFIELD vil. (11) 4 m. ENE. of Romsey, W.
Hants, is a Cur. (Win.) val. /., patr. Vicar of
Hursley. A. House, J. White, Esq.

P. A'MPLEFORTH par. ( ) Ryedale and Birdforth
waps. N. R. York. 4 m. SW. of Helmsley-222, con-
tains A. BIRDFOKTH, A. ST. PETER, and A. OS-
WALD KIRK tnshps. (pop. 239, 207, and!59), with
St. Andrew's rom. cath. college established at
A. Lodge, 1802. Acres 2270 ; pop. 446, of town
with part of Oswald Kirk par. 605 ; poor r. 172Z.
(Helmsl. U.) ; real prop. 4749Z. ; charities 29/.
St. Hilda Vic. (York) val. 261/., patr. Archbp.

AMPNEY CRUCIS par. (34) Crowthorne hund.
SE. Gloucester. 3 m. E. of Cirencester-88, con-
tains Hillcott End. Acres 2660 ; pop. 591 ; poor
r. 344L (Cirenc. U.) ; real prop. 4703/. ; charities,
80/. to Pleydell's school. Holyrood Vic. (Gl. and
Br.) val. 84/., patr. Ld. Chancellor. A. Park, Earl
Ducie. |^ A. DOWN par. as above, 3 m. SE. on
A. Brook, near Ermine St. and Thames and Severn
canal, was held by Ralph du Todini at ' Do-
mesdy.' and came to the Duchy of Lancaster, the
Villierses, Speaker Hungerford (Rich. II.), the
Dunches, Sec. Craggs and the Eliots. Acres 2470 ;
pop. 425 ; poor r. 159/. (Cirenc. U.) ; real prop.
3569/.; charities 21. All Saints Vic. (Gl. and
Br.) val. 116/., patr. Ch. Ch. Coll. Oxon. ; church,
early eng. built about 1260 by the K. Templars,
has effigies of Sir Nic. de Villiers, a crusader
( 1294). A. D. House, Hon. P. Bouverie, lately re-
stored, was built (Hen. VIII.) by the Hunger-
fords. Us?" A. ST. MARY, or ASHBROOK, par. as
above, 4 m. E. of Cirencester. Acres 1170; pop.
121 + 1 ; poor r. 99Z. (Cirenc. U.) ; real prop. 1380/.
Living, a Cur. (Gl. and Br.) val. 71/., patr. M. H.
Beach, Esq. of Williamstrip. ^ A. ST. PETER,
or EASINGTON, par. as above, 1 m. E. Acres 860 ;
pop. 196 + 1 ; poor r. 86/. (Cirene. U.); real prop.



12787. Living, a Cur. (Gl. and Br.) val. 60/., patr.
Bishop.

P. AMPORT par. (12) Upper Andover hund.
NW. Hants. 4 m. WSW. of Andover-63, con-
tains E. Cholderton and Sarson. Acres 3460-
pop. 771 + 6; poor r. 622/. (And. U.); real prop.
2153J. ; charities 150/. to Dr. Sheppard's school and
almshouses, found. 1812. St. Mary Vic. (Wine.)
val. with Appleshaw 858/., patr. Dean and Chap,
of Chichester. A. Park, Marquis of Winchester.

P. M. AMPTHILL, par. (46) Redbornestoke
hund. Mid. Beds, a stat. on N. West. rail. 59 m.
London, or 45 by road, and 8 SSW. of Bedford,
a petty sess. and polling town, under the hills,
was held by Lord Fanhope (Hen, VI.), who b.
the castle which became the head of an Honour
and the seat of Q. Catherine after her divorce
1530. Acres 1928, with rabbit warren ; pop. 2001 +
32, some lace makers ; houses 355, with 3 chapels,
old moot-hall, new mkt. -house, bank, savings bk.,
town-pump, brewery, Mrs. Emery's free school
(15Z.), Cross's almshouses for 12, and Union p.
house ; poor r. 585Z. on 5154J. ; real prop. 6956/. ;
charities 152/. of which poor's estate 1171. St.
Andrew Rect. (Ely) val. 283/., patr. Ld. Chancellor ;
church, cruciform and later eng. has 3 brasses
(from 1506), and tomb of Gov. Nicholl (with the
ball with which he was shot, in it). A. Park, or
Honour, to which Hough ton is joined,, is seat of
Lord Holland, on the site of the old castle, and
has a cross with an inscription to Catherine by
H. Walpole, and some valuable paintings and a
museum, at the house. In Hougnton Pk. are re-
mains of the house built by " Sidney's sister, Pem-
broke's mother," with the pear-tree under which
they say Sir Philip Sidney wrote part of his
' Arcadia.' and Pomfret his verses. Ampt. P. L.
Union contains the pars. etc. of Ampthill, Clophill,
Cranfield, Flitton, Flitwick, Gravenhurst (Upper
and Lower), Hawnes, Higham Gobion, Hougnton
Conquest, Lidlington, Marston Moretaine, Maul-
den, Milbrook, Pulloxhill, Shitlington, Stepping-
ley, Westoning, and Silsoe; acres 42,592, pop.
15,681, cases relieved (yr. 1846-7) 1815 (out-
door 1624), expend. 6755Z., real prop. 57,898/.
Sup. Registry comprises the same up to Westoning
(pop. 15,681 + 133), and constitutes the New
County Court district. Mkt. D. Thurs. Fairs, 4
May, 30 Nov. cattle.

P. AMPTON par. (51) Thedwestry hund. NW.
Suffolk, 4 m. N. of Bury St. Edmund's-71.
Acres 870 ; pop. 147 + 3 ; poor r. 20*. (Thingoe
U.) ; real prop. 764/. ; charities 4401. to the Cal-
thorpes' school, almsh. etc. St. Peter Rect.
(Ely) val. 172Z., patr. Lord Calthorpe of A. Hall,
who holds the manor; church, has a brass.

AMROTH par. (38-40) Narberth hund. SE. Pem-
broke. 6 m. SE. of Narberth-240, on Carmarthen
bay. Pop. 779 + 14, fishermen and colliers ; poor
r. 252/. (Narb. U.) ; real prop. 2772/. ; charities,
Rees' school, etc. 20i St. Elidyr Vie. (St. Dav.)
val. 112/., patr. C. P. Callen, Esq.; church, early
eng. A. Castle, Ackland, Esq. on the coast,
formerly a seat of the Elliots and called Eare
Wear.

AMSDALE. See AINSDAI.E, Lancash.

P. AMTJL.RIE vil. Dull par. Mid. Perth. 9 m.
NNE. of Crieff-47, on R. Brand, near Loch
Ereuchie. Fair, 1st Wed. May, cattle.

AJTWELL, GREAT, par. (47) Hertford hund.
E. Hert*. 2 m. SE. of Ware-20, on E. Count,
rail, and a branch of R. Lea, is the Emmewelle,
or Emma's Well, of ' Domesdy.' near the source
of the New River, and contains Hoddesdon
Cur. Acres 25 10; pop. 1545 f 22; poor r. 608
(Ware U.) ; real prop. 8455/. St. J. Baptist Vic



44 ANA

(Roch.) val, 1127., patr. Rev. M. Barnard, vicar,
and others ; church on a hill in a pleasant spot, has
the graves of Reed, editor of Shakespere, and War-
ner who wrote "Albion's England." Below it
springs the chief head of the river, near a small
isld., which has a monument by Mylne, to Sir
Hugh Mydelton, who accomplished his great
work 1607-13. A. Place was seat of Scott the
Quaker poet, who wrote the lines, " I hate the
drum's discordant sound." A. Bury, Col. Brown,
near Barrow hill where remains have been
found ; Hayleybury college, is for E. I. Company's
civil cadets. 1. Walton was a frequent visitor,
and Hoole, the translator of Tasso, a resident
SiT A., LITTLE, lib. All Saints' par. as above, 2 m.
NW. has at Chadwell the other head of the New
River, and an artesian well. Acres 480; pop.
461 + 10 ; real prop. 20647. A. End, J. B. Dickin-
son, Esq. in Ware par. near the above.

Anabich Isld., Harris par. Western Islds. S.
coast of Lewis. Pop. 41.

ANADORN vil. (37) Kinalarly bar. S. Doum.
4 m. W. of Downpatrick-94, on A. Rivulet,
which runs to Dundrum bay at the bridge, near
Castle Hill, a seat of the Mac Artanes.

Anafane Glen (23) near Glendalough, Mid.
Wicklow, has lead mines. Fairs, 14 May, 8 Nov.
Anaverna (4) 4 m. N. of Dundalk, N. Louth,
seat of the late Baron M'Clelland.

ANBALLY vil. (70) Clare bar. Mid. Galway, 12
m. NE. of Galway-133, near a ruined castle,
and a periodical lake called Turloughmore. Pop.
229.

Ancalites of the Romans, had part of Oxfords.
with Henley for their capital.

Ancarig of the Saxons, is THORNEY, Cambridge.
ANCASTER par. (70) Loveden wap. SW.
Lincoln. 6 m. NE. of Grantham-110, on R.
Sleaford, containing Sudbrooke and W. Wil-
loughby, is the roman Causennee, on Ermine St.
where coins, bricks, etc. have been found, and the
spot where Col. Cavendish beat the Roundheads,
May 1643. Acres 2800, with oolite quarries, out
of which Belvoir castle, Wollaton hall, etc. were
built; pop. 530 + 4; poor r. 2417. (Granth. U.);
real prop. 38767. ; charities 77. St. Martin Vic.
(Line.) val. 1517., patr. Lamb, Esq. ; church,
norman and early eng. has circular stone font.
Gave the extinct title of duke to the Berties of
Uffington.

Ancholme River (83, 86) rises in the Wolds
near Mkt. Rasen, N. Lincoln, and runs N. about
22 m. past S. Kelsey (where Caister canal joins)
and Brigg, to the Humber near S. Ferriby. A
straight cut made along its whole course, is called
New A. River. " Ankham eel, and Witham pike,
In all England is none like."

Anchor, or Weston, Head (20) in the Bristol
chan. N. Somerset. 1 m. NW. of Weston-super-
Mare, near Brean down, has Worle mill sea-mark
on it and Brean rock and Weston ledge in front
Anchor Church (71) 6 m. SSW. of Derby, S.
Derby, is a rock on R. Trent, like a gothic church,
where an anchorite once lived.

Anchor Hill and Little A. Hill (43) 1 m. NS.
of Monmo. NE. Monmo.

Anchorage, near Bothwell Bridge, Lanark.
ANCOATS (88) suburbs of Manchester, SE.
Lancash. has print and dye works, and A. Hall,
an old timbered seat of the Moseleys, of Rolleston,
late lords of the manor of Manchester. St. Andrew
and All Souls Curs. (Manch.) val. 1507. each,
patr. Dean.and Chap.

P. ANCROFT chplry. ( ) Islandshire, Dur-
ham, locally in Northmbrld. 5 m. S. of Berwick-
upon-Tweed-337, near Yk. rail., in a rich vale



AND

near the coast opposite Holy isld. contains Scre-
merston Cur., Cheswick, and Haggerston (an old
seat), and has a fine view at Ladythorn. Acres
9570 ; pop. 1670 + 29, of town 491 ; poor r. 4657.
(Berw. U.) ; real prop. 13,4737. Living, a Cur.
(Dur.) val. 131/., patr. Dean and Chap. ; church,
very old, belonged to Holy isld.

P. ANCRUM par. Jedburgh distr. N. Roxburgh.
3 m. NW. of Jedburgh-46, on Watling St.
where R. Ale runs to the Teviot, near A. Moor,
where the English were defeated 1545, by the
Regent Arran and Scott of Buccleuch, was
held by the bishops of Glasgow who had a seat
here, and was given 1633 by Ch. I. to the Kerrs
with the title of earl, now held by Marquis
of Lothian, of Mt. Teviot. Acres 8400, good well
cultivated soil, with red and white stone quarries ;
pop. 1407, of vil. 499 ; real prop. 91747. ; for poor
4497. Living (Presb. Jedb.) val. 224/., patr. Sir
Walter Scott, Bt., of A. House, commanding a
fine view. Chesters, W. Ogilvie, Esq. Maltan
Walls, in ruins near the old cross, belonged to the
Knights of Malta. A pillar to Wellington stands
at Penielheugh on Lilliard's Edge, so called from
a Scottish lass who followed her lover and fell
in the above battle. Bnchan, author of the
" Domestic Medicine," was a native ; and Thom-
son visited at the manse.

P. ANDENSHAW or OPENSHAW (88) 1 m. E. of
Manchester, SE. Lancash.

ANDERBY par. (84) Calceworth bund. E. Lin-
coln. 9 m. NE. of Spilsby-129, near the coast,
has a canal to Alford. Acres 1080 ; pop. 243 + 3 ;
poor r. 85/. (Spilsby U.) ; real prop. 20967. St.
Andrew Red. (Line.) val. with Cumberworth
548/., patr. Mag. Coll. Camb.

Anderida Portus of the Romans, is PEVENSEY,
Sussex, at the end of Ermine St. and the great
Sylva A., or ' Andredswald ' of the Saxons.

Anderrow, or Arderry, Lough ( ) 8 m. WNW.
of Oughterard, NW. Donegal.

Andersey (20) 3 m. SE. of Bridgewater, Mid.
Somerset, on R. Parret.

ANDERSFIELD HUNDRED (20-1) Mid. Somerset.
contains the pars, of Broomfield, Creech St.
Michael, Enmore, Goathurst, Lyng, and parts of
Durleigh, Chilton Trinity, and N. Petherton ;
acres 10,950, pop. 2992, houses 582.

ANDERSON, or ANDERSTONE, par. (15) Coomb's
Ditch hund. Mid. Dorset. 5 m. S. of Blandford-
103, on a branch of R. Stour. Acres 750 ; pop.
43 ; poor r. 147. (Blandf. U.) ; real prop. 10567.
St. Michael Rect. (Sal.) val. 1467., patr. B. Tre-
gonwell, Esq. of A. House. ^T ANDERSON par.
q. s. in Barony par. Glasgow city, NW. Lanark.
Pop. 3759. Living (Presb. Glasg.) vaL I., patr.
Managers, etc.

ANDERTON tnshp. (80) Gt. Budworth par. N.
Cheshire, 2 m. NW. of Northwich-174, near Gd.
Junct. rail, and Trunk canal. Acres 490 ; pop.
331 + 1, in the salt-works ; poor r. 104/. (Northw.
U.) ; real prop. 12,4087. of which 10,8467. on mines,
gap" ANDERTON tnshp. (87) Standish par. S.
Lancash. 3 m. SE. of Chorley-208, near Bolton
rail, and Manch. and Leeds canal, under Riving-
ton Pike. Acres 1110; pop. 339; poor r. 1047.
(Chorl. U.) ; real prop. 19727.

ANDOVER DIVISION (12, 14) NW. Hants, con-
tains Andover. and the hunds. of Upper and Lower
Andover, Barton-Stacey, Upper Pastrow, Upper
Thorngate, and Upper and Lower Wherwell ;
acres (exclusive of Andover) 80,830, pop. 13,245,
houses 2732. ifgp A. HUNDRED Upper half, in the
above div. contains the pars, of Amport vie., with
Appleshaw cur., Fyfield reel., Grately r., Kimpton
r., Quarley r., Shipton-Bellinger t>., Thruxton r.,



AND



AND



45



and S. Tidworthr. ; acres 18,430, pop. 2888, houses
563. Lower half contains Upper Clatford r.,
Knight's-Enham r., Foxcott, Monxton r., Penton-
Mewsey r,, Weyhill r., and part of Abbot's Ann
r.; acres 10,070, pop. 1173, houses 468. * A.
DEANERY, archdy. and dioc. of Winch, contains
the benefices in the above hund. and those in
Upper and Lower Evingar, Up. and Low. Pastrow,
Up. and Low. Wherwell, with Litchfield r., Over
Wallop r., Nether Wallop .

** P. M. ANDOVER par. (12) locally in the
above hund. 12 m. NW. of Winchester, 63 from
London, or 65 by A. Road stat. as below, a
polling and sessions town on A. Canal and
R. Anton under the Downs, containing Fox-
cote Cur., Charlton, Wildern, and 5 other hmlts.
was the roman Andaoreon on the way to Ciren-
cester, near Brehill (or Bury-hill) and Okebury
camps the saxon Andefera, the seat of Ethel-
red 994 (when Olaus of Norway was baptized,
and a treaty made with the pirate Anlaf ) and
the Andovere of ' Domesdy.', returns two mem-
bers (since Eliz. and once in Edw. I.), the Reform
bounds including Foxcote and Knight's Enham,
no. of electors 243 (and of 10Z. houses 645);
was first chartered by John, and under the late
act is governed by a mayor (who is returning-
ofBcer), 4 aid. 12 council, with the style of " bailiff,
approved men and burgesses of boro' of A." and
revenue of 12467. Acres of boro' 10,982, of
par. 7670 ; pop. 4997, and 4941 + 10, some malt-
sters and in the manufact. of shags for silk hats,
etc. (formerly of shalloons) ; houses 953, with 4
chapels, new townhall (b. 1825) and market-
place on arches, bank, savings bk., Hanson's
free gram, school (20/.) found. 1569, Pollen's
(10/.) and Sambourne's (307.) free schools, Pol-
len's and Hanson's almshouses, and Union p.
house ; assd. taxes 17047. ; poor r. 25567. on 88587. ;
real prop. 16,5417. ; charities 1897. St. Mary Vic.
(Wine.) val. 433/., patr. Win. coll. ; church, made
(before Edw. I.) a cell to St. Florence ab. Anjou,
was reb. 1849. A hosp. was founded Hen. III.'s
time ; and it gives title of visct. to Earl of Suffolk
and Berkshire. A. Canal, 22 m. long, with a fall of
179ft. and 24 locks, begins at Barlow's mill and
runs by the Anton, past Stockbridge and Eomsey
to Southampton Water, at Redbridge. And. P.
L. Union contains the pars. etc. in the hund.
above (except Weyhill), with Andover, Barton-
Stacey, Bullington, Chilbolton, Faccombe, Good-
worth, Hurstborne Tarrant, Linkenholt, Long-
parish, Tangley, Vernhams Deane, Wherwell,
Penton Grafton, in Hants, and Chute, Ludgers-
hall, N. Tidworth, Chute Forest, in Wilts. ; acres
83,525, pop. 16,998, cases relieved (yr. 1846-7)
2485 (out-door 2028), expend. 10,2067., prop,
rated 86,9467. Sup. Registry comprises the same,
except P. Grafton and Ch. Forest ; pop. 16,998
+ 58. It belongs to Whitchurch New County
Court. Mkt. D. Sat. Fairs, Mid- Lent Sat. and
Old May Day, cheese, horses, leather ; 1 Aug.
sheep; 16, 17 Nov. sheep, horses, cheese, etc.
Weyhill Fair, 10-16 Oct.

P. ANDOVER ROAD, a station on S. West. rail.
9 m. ESE. of the above, 56 from London, is
rising into a town.

P. ANDOVERSFORD vil. (44) Dowdeswell par.
E. Gloucester. 6 m. NW. of Northleach-82, on
R. Isborne and the Cotswolds.

ANDREAS. See KIRK ANDREAS, /. of Man.

Andradswald, the Coel or Coed Andred of the
Britons, was a forest in the Weald of Sussex, ex-
tending into Hants, and Kent, 120 m. long by 30
broad, where Sigibert, King of Wessex, being
driven from his throne, was slain by a swineherd.



Was so called from the ancient city of Anderida,
or Andredchester, near the modern Pevensey, or
(according to Camden) Newenden on R. Rother,
ruins of which existed in Stephen's time.

Android ( ) 4 m. S. of Ballymena, W. Antrim,
on Belfast rail.

Andrew New Green (8) 1 m. SW. of Chertsey,
N. Surrey.

Andrew's (2) 6 m. SE. of Maldon, E. Essex.

ANDREW'S (Si*.), or BALLYHALBERT, par. (18)
Ards bar. NE. Down. 2 m. E. of Kircubbin-111,
between Lough Strangford and the Irish Sea,
containing Ballyhalbert, had a benedictine cell
to Lonley abbey, Normandy, founded by John
de Courcey before 1210, and given to the Archbp.
of Armagh. Acres 4002, fertile and well culti-
vated ; pop. 2656. Living, a Vic. (Pn. C. D.) val.
with Ballywalter and Innishargy 404/., patr.
Primate.

ANDREW'S (ST.) DISTRICT, E. Fife, contains the
pars, of St. Andrew, Anstruther Easter and
Wester, Cameron, Carnbee, Crail, Denino, Elie,
Ferry-Port-on-Craig, Forgan, Kemback, Kilcon-
quhar, Kilrenny, Kingsbarns, Largo, St. Leo-
nard's, Leuchar's, St. Monance, Newburn, a^:d
Pittenween ; pop. 30,259, houses 6362.

* P. M. &. ANDREW'S, ST., city in the above
distr. 8 m. E. of Cupar, 41 from Edinbro,' a sub-
port to Kirkaldy, on A. Bay and the North Sea,
a decayed royal and parl. burgh, and seat of a



Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 13 of 293)