Copyright
James A Sharp.

A new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) online

. (page 137 of 293)
Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 137 of 293)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


harriers meet round here. Corwen P. L. Union,
contains the pars. etc. of Bryneglwys, Cerrigy-
druidion, Llantisilio, Llangollen, Llansaintfraid
Glynceiriog, Llanarmon, Llangwm, Llanfihangcl,
Glyn Traiau, in Denb., Bettws, Corwen, Gwyd-
delworn, Llansaintfraid, Llangar, Llandrillo, in
Merioneth. ; pop. 15,098, cases relieved (yr. 1846-
7) 1254 (out-door 1150), expend. 4177/., prop,
rated 52,568Z, Sup. Registry comprises the same,
except Glyn-Traian ; pop. 15,089 + 107. The New
County Court district corresponds with the Re-
gistry, except Llangollen, which goes to Ruabon.
Mkt. D. Tu. Frid. Fairs, 12 Mar. 24 May, 11
July, 7 Oct. 20 Dec. cattle, etc.

Cory, Great and Little (35) 6 m. NNW. of
Launceston, NE. Cornwall.

CORYATTS. See CORFE GATE, Dorset.

CORYTON, or CORRITON, par. (25) Lifton hund.
W. Devon. 6 m. N. of Tavistock-207, on R. Lyd,
came from the Kellys of C. House (now a farm)
to the Kingdons. Acres 1710 ; pop. 374 + 6 ;
poor r. 95Z. (Tavist. U.) ; real prop. 2200/. ; cha-
rities 20Z. St. Andrew Rect. (Exet.) val. 208/.,
patr. Sir R. Newman, Bt.

Coryton House (21) 1m. W. of Axminster, E.
Devon. W. Tucker, Esq.

COSBY par. (63) Guthlaxton hund. S. Leicest.
6 m. SSW. of Leicester-96, on a branch of R.
Soar, near Midld. Count, rail., contains Little-
thorpe. Acres 2550 ; pop. 1013, some stocking-
makers, with 250 frames at work ; poor r. 400/.
(Blaby U.) ; real prop. 4670Z. ; charities 6/. St.
Michael Vic. (Pet.) val. 138/., patr. J. Pares, Esq.

Cosbytown (15) 2 m. NE. of Derrygonnelly,
N. Fermanagh, on Lough Erne.

COSCOMB hmlt.(44) Didbrook par. NE. Gloucest.
2 m. NE. of Winchcomb-95. Pop. 18.

P. COSELEY vil. (62) Sedgley par. S. Stafford.
1 m. S. of Bilston-121, on Birmingham canal.
Pop. in the iron and coal trade. Living, a Cur.
(Lich.) val. 138Z., patr. Lord Ward.

COSFORD (61) 3 m. SE. of Shiffnd-I3f>, E.Salop.

COSFORD HUNDRED (48, 50) 5. Suffolk, con-
tains the pars, of Aldham rect., Bildestone r.,
Brettenham* r., Challesworth r., Elmsett r., Had-
leigh, Hitcham r., Kersey cur., Kettlebaston r.,
Layham r., Lindsey, Naughton r., Nedging r.,
Semer r. (where poor ho. is), Morieux Thorpe* r.,
Wattisham c., Whatfield r., and part of Boxford
r. ; acres 30,640, pop. 10,806, houses 2193. See
SUDBURY DEANERY. Cosf. P. L. Union, con-
tains the pars. etc. in the above hund. with Brent-



COS

Eleigh, CockSeld*, Edwardstonc, Gnoton, Laven-
ham*, Hilden, Monks-Eleigh, Polstead, Preston* ;
acres , pop. 18,237, cases relieved (yr. 1846-7)
2002 (out-door 1391), expend. 6438Z., prop, rated
80,882Z. Sup. Registry, comprises the same ; pop.
18,238 + 18. It belongs to Hadleigh New County
Court district, except those places marked* above,
which go to Sudbury.

COSFOKD hmlt. (53) Newbold-on-Avon par. E.
Warwick. 2 m. N. of Kugby-83, on Midld. Count,
rail. Pop. 82; real prop/944Z. ^ C. House
(8) 4 m. N. of Haslemere, SW. Surrey, J. Haw-
kins, Esq., in a beautiful spot.

P. COSGROVE par. (46) Cleley hund. S. North-
mptn. 1 m. N. of Stoney Stratford-51, near R.
Ouse, N. West. rail, and Gd. Junct. canal, contains
Old Stratford on Watling St. Acres 1760 ; pop.
701 + 8 ; poor r. 237/. (Potterspury U.) ; real
prop. 5154Z. St. Paul Rect. (Pet.) yal. 363Z.,
patr. Mrs. Mansel of C. House. C. Priory, .

P. COSHAM vil. (11) Wymering and Widley
pars. S. Hants. 4 m. NNE. of Portsmouth-70,
under Portsdown hill, a station on S. Coast and S.
West, rails., where they join, near the barracks,
Postbridge, etc.

COSHESTON par. (38) Castlemartin hund. S.
Pembroke. 2 m. NNE. of Pembroke-264, near
Milford Haven. Pop. 513 ; poor r. 113Z. (Pemb.
U.) ; real prop. 2691Z. ; charities, Jones's 30Z.
Living, a Rect. (St.Dav.) val. 160/.,patr. G. Bowl-
ing, Esq. C. House, Rev. J. Holcombe.

COSHLEA BARONY (47-50) SE. Limerick, con-
tains the pars, of Ardpatrick, Ballingaddy, Bal-
lingarry, Ballylanders, Ballyscaddan, Darragh,
Emlygrennan, Galbally, Kilbeheny, Kilfinnane,
Kilflyn, Knocklong, Particles, and parts of Ath-
neasv, Kilreedy-Major, and Kilguane ; acres
95,232, pop. 38,388, houses 5947.

COSHMA BAROKY (30-2) S. Limerick, contains
the pars, of Anhid, Athlacca, Bruff, Dronun, Dy-
sert, Kilreedy-Minor, Tankardstown, and parts of
Adare, Bruree, Croom, Drehidtarsna, Effin, Hack-
mys, Killeenoghty, Killonahan, Monasteranenagh,
Tullabracky, and Wregare ; acres 49,053, pop.
21,705, houses 3263.

COSHMORE and COSHBRIDE BARONY (28-9,
etc.) W. Waterford, contains the pars, of Kil-
cockan, Kilwatermoy, Tallow, Templemichael, and
parts of Leitrim, Lismore, and Mocollop; acres
89,403, pop. 36,986, houses 4880.

COSMASTON vil. (20) Lavernock par. SE. Gla-
morgan. 5 m. S. of Cardiff-160.

COSMUS, ST. See BLEAN, ST. COSMUS, Kent.

COSSALL par. (71) S. Broxton wap. SW. Notts.
6 m. WNW. of Nottingham-124, near the canal,
on R. Erewash and Derby, border, contains C.
HARSH hmlt. (pop. 57). Acres 720 ; pop. 334,
some stocking-makers ; poor r. 207. (Basford U.) ;
real prop. 1941Z. ; charities, Willoughby's hosp.
for 8, 132Z. Living, a Cur. with Wollaton.

P. COSSEY, or COSTESSEY, par. (66) Forehoe
hund. E. Norfolk, 4 m. NE. of Norwich-108, on
R. Wensum. Acres 3150; pop. 1074; poor r.
3897. (Fore. Incorp.) ; real prop. 5039Z., charities
41. St. Edmund Cur. (Norw.) val. I., patr.
Corporation. C. Hall, partly elizabethan, Lord
Stafford, has a beautiful chapel, a portrait of Q.
Mary by Holbein, and the Arundel family after a
design of Vandyke.

P. COSSINGTON par. (03) E. Goscote hund. N.
Leicest. 2 m. SE. of Mount Sorrel-105, on Midld.
rail., near Rs. Soar and Wreak, and Segshill
camp on Fosscway. Acres 1810; pop. 310 + 3,
some stocking-makers; poor r. 211Z. (Barrow U.),
real prop. 3732Z., charities 97Z. All Saints Rect.
(Pet.) val. 448Z., patr. Rev. J. Babington, rector;



COT



489



church, has a piscina and stalls. C. Lodge, 1 m
SE.

P. COSSINGTON par. (20) Whitley hund. Mid.
Somerset. 4 m. NE. of Bridgwater-139, in a pretty
spot. Acres 1400 ; pop. 248 ; poor r. 100Z. (Bridgw.
U.) ; real prop. 2868/. ; charities, Brent's 18Z. St.
Mary Rect. (Ba. and W.) val. 254/., patr. Rev.
J. S. Broderip, rector.

Cosson, or Cawsorn, Tor (8) 3 m. SE. of Oak-
hampton, Mid. Devon. 2090 ft., the highest peak
in Dartmoor.

COSTELLO BARONY (80-2, etc.) C. Mayo, con-
tains the pars, of Aghamore, Annagh, Bekan,
Kilbeagh, Kilmoree, and parts of Castlemore,
Kilcolman, Kilturra, and Knock ; acres 144,462,
an. val. 31,302Z., pop. 48,389, houses 8869.

Costelloe's Country of the Irish is BALLYHAU-
NIS, Mayo.

COSTESSEY. See COSSEY, Norfolk.

COSTOCK, or CORTLINGSTOCK, par. (71) Rush-
cliffe wap. S. Notts. 5 m. NNE. of Loughboro'-109,
on a branch of R. Soar. Acres 1320 ; pop. 470 + 6,
stocking-makers, on 30 frames; poor r. 125Z.
(Loughb. U.) ; real prop. 2500Z. ; charities, a share
in Parkyns's, with BUNNY. St. Giles Rect. (Line.)
val. 395Z., patr. Trustees ; church, with a ' steeple
like a barn, and roof like a dove-cote,' has re-
mains of stained glass, and an old mon.

COSTON par. (70) Framland hund. NE. Leicest.
6 m. ENE. of Melton Mowbray-105, on a branch
of R. Wreak. Acres 1680 ; pop. 147 ; poor r. 47Z.
(M. Mowbray U.) ; real prop. 2580Z. St. Andrew
Rect. (Pet.) val. 334Z., patr. Ld. Chancellor. C.
House, E. Phelp, Esq. ^ COSTON par. (66)
Forehoe hund. Mid. Norfolk, 4 m. NE. of Hing-
ham-99, on R. Blackwater. Acres 300 ; pop. 48 ;
poor r. 23Z. (Foreh. Incorp.) ; real prop. 10541.
St. Michael Rect. (Norw.) val. 240Z., united to
the archdy.

COSTON, or GORTON, HACKETT par. (54) Upper
Halfshire hund. NE. Worcest. 4 m. NE. of Broms-
grove-1 16, on Birmg. and Glouc. rail. Acres 1400 ;
pop. 211 ; poor r. 122Z. (Bromsg. U.), real prop.
2690Z. St. Michael Cur. with Northfield ; church,
ancient. C. Hall, R. Biddulph, or F. Moore, Esq.

COT TOWN vil. St. Madoes par. SE. Perth. 4 m.
SE. of Perth-40, near Frith of Tay. Pop. 62.

COTCLIFFE WOOD ext. par. ( ) Leake par.
N. R. York. 5 m. N. of Thirsk-217. Pop. 15.

COTE tythg. (35) Olveston par. S W. Gloucester.
3 m. W. of Thornbury*124, near R. Severn. Pop.
17. C. House, G. Daubeny, Esq. COTE hmlt. ( )
with Aston, Bampton par. W. Oxford. 2 m. W. of
Bampton-71. gg~ COTE hmlt. (88) Fixby tnshp.
W. R. York, near Halifax-197.

COTEHILL, or COATHILL, tnshp. ( ) Wetheral
par. N. Cumbrld. 4 m. E. of Carlisle-301. Pop.
253, in the gypsum quarries, etc.

a. Cotele, or Cotehele (25) 3 m. ESE. of Cal-
lington, E. Cornwall, on R. Tamar, Earl Mount-
Edgecumbe, an ancient quadrangular pile with
narrow windows, a gate tower, timber- roofed hall
with stained arms, chapel with bell tower and
old font, and full of curious old furniture and
antiquities of various sorts, as suits of armour,
carved chairs and cabinets, oriental bed in which
Ch. II. slept, drinking cups, tapestry, etc. ; in the
grounds are some chestnut groves, in which an
Edgecumbe hid himself from Rich. III.'s party.

COTES tnshp. (71) Prestwold par. N. Leicest.
1 m. NE. of Loughboro'-109, on R. Soar, near
Midld. rail. Acres 530 ; pop. 75 ; real prop. 1 165Z.
$&- COTES, or COATES (61) 4 m. WNW. of
Church Stretton, S W. Salop. ^ COTES tnshp.
(72) Eccleshall par. NW. Stafford. 4 m. NNE. of
Eccleshall-148. Acres 820; pop. 328 + 6; real



490



COT



COT



prop. 36487. Living, a Cur. (Lich.) val. 100?.,
patr. Vicar.

COTES-DE-VAL hmlt. (63) Kimcote par. S.
Leicester. 3 m. N. of Lutterworth-89. Pop. 6.
l^ C. END (2) 9 m. ENE. of Rochford-38, SE.
Essex. flg C. Park (71) 1m. SE. of Alfreton,
E. Derby.

P. COTGRAVE par. (71) Bingham hund.iS.TVbtts.

4 m. SW. of Bingham- 124, near Grantham canal
and the Fosseway, contains Straggl ethorpe. Acres
3350, with limestone; pop. 850 + 1, stocking-
makers, on 20 frames ; poor r. 2007. (Bingh. U.) ;
real prop. 52847. ; charities, Crosse's 31. All Saints
Rect. (Line.) val. 6287., patr. Earl Manvers.

COTHALL vil. near Forres-123, N. Elgin, on
Findhorn river.

GOTHAM par. (70) Newark hund. SE. Notts.

3 m. S. of Newark-124, on R. Devon. Acres
1210 ; pop. 87 + 1 ; poor r. 97. (Newark U.) ; real
prop. 1755Z. Holy Trinity Don. Cur. (Line.) val.
357., patr. Duke of Portland. C. Lodge, 1 m. SW.
IgT COTHAM hmlt. (86) Keelby par. N. Lincoln.

5 m.W. by N. of Grimsby-163, had a small cistertian
nunnery found, in Stephen's time by Alan Mun-
ceaux, which was given to the Skipwiths.

COTHELSTONE par. (20-1) Taunton hund. Mid.
Somerset. 5 m. NNW. of Taunton-141, under C.
Hill, 1250ft. high, with a view of 11 counties.
Acres 1240, with blue lias ; pop. 104 ; poor r. 497.
(Taunt. U.) ; real prop. 14157. Living, a Cur.
(Ba. and W.) val. 587., patr. Vicar of Kingston.
C. Park, E. J. Esdaile, Esq.

COTHERCOTT tnshp. (61) Church Pulverbatch
par. Mid. Salop, 5 m. NNW. of Church Stretton
-158. Pop. 33.

COTHEKIDGE par. (55) Upper Doddingtree
hund. W. Worcest. 4m. W. of Worcester-Ill, on
R. Teme, contains Hewson and Otherton. Acres
1900, part in hops ; pop. 228 ; poor r. 2087. ( Mart-
ley DV) ; real prop. 30587. ; charities 8/. St. Leo-
nard Cur. (Wore.) val. L, patr. Rev. R. Berke-
ley, of C. Hall, in a fine spot.

P. COTHERSTON tnshp. ( ) Ronald-Kirk par.
N. R. York. 4m. NW. of Barnard Castle-246, on
R. Tees, containing Briscoe, and 4 other hmlts.
with remains of the Fitz-hughs' castle. Acres
8120 ; pop. 566 ; poor r. 2442. (Teesdale U.) ; real
prop. 41127.; charities 27.

COTHILL hmlt. (13) Marcham par. N. Berks.
2m. NNW. of Abingdon-56. Pop. 45. C. House.

Cothy River (41, 57) rises 4 m. NE. of Llan-y-
crwys on the borders of Carmarthen, and Cardigan.
and'runs 25 m. SW. past C. Bridge, to R. Towy,
near Llanergwad. Good trout fishing.

COTISCUE hmlt. ( ) Coverham tnshp. N. R.
York. 2 m. SW. of Middleham-232.

COTLANDSTOWN. See COGIILANSTOWN, Dublin.

COTLEIGH par. (22) Colyton hund. E. Devon.
3m. ENE. of Honiton-148. Acres 1040; pop.
269 + 7; poor r. ISO/. (Honit. U.); real prop.
16917. ; charities, Hobbs's 157. Living, a Rect.
(Exet.) val. 2297., patr. Rev. W. Michell, of C.
House, rector.

CotleyHiU Camp (14) 2 m. NW. of Heytesbury,
S. Wilts, an incomplete circle 480 ft. diam., single
ditched, where roman remains have been found.

COTMANHAY hmlt. (71) llkeston par. E. Derby.
8m. NE. of Derby-126, on Erwash canal. Pop.
747. Living, a Cur. (Lich.) val. 1507., patr. Crown
and Bishop.

COTMERE hmlt. (73) Horseley tnshp. W. Staf-
ford. 2 m. WNW. of Eccleshall-148.

COTNESS tnshp. (86) Howden par. E. R. York.

4 m. SE. of Howden-108, on R. Humber. Acres
240 ; pop. 38 + 1 ; real prop. 8837.

COTON par. (51) Wetherley hund. S. Cam-



bridge. 2m. W. of Cambridge-50. Acres 1130;
pop. 307 + 8; poor r. 1177. (Chesterton U.); real
prop. 17837. ; charities 377., of which church es-
tate 307. St. Peter Rect. (Ely) val. 2137., patr.
Catherine Hall ; church, has tomb of Downes,
translator of the Apocrypha, gap" COTON hmlt.
(53) Ravensthorpe par. Mid. Northmptn. 7 m.
NE. of Daventry-72. Acres 860; pop. 128;
real prop. 11587. giT COTON hmlt. (53) Cop-
redy par. N. Oxford. 4 m. NE. of Banbury-71.
Pop. with Williamscote 193. giT COTON hmlt.
(61) 6 m. SE. by S. of Bridgnorth-139, SE.
Salop, near C. Hall, J. Forster, Esq. (JiT COTON,
or C. CLANFORD, hmlt. (72) Gnosall par. Mid.
Stafford. 3 m. W. of Stafford-141, was the
birthplace (1659) of W. Wollaston, who wrote the
" Religion of Nature." C. Hall, . igp COTON
hmlt. (72) Hanbury par. E. Stafford. 3 m. W. of
Tutbury-128, on R. Dove, near the viaduct on N.
Stafd. rail. 114 ft. high, 693 long. Acres 770 ; pop.
72 + 2. C. Hall, . gg COTON tnshp. (73) St.
Mary and St. Chad par. Mid. Stafford. 2 m. NNE.
of Stafford-141. See HOPTON. igcP COTON hmlt.
(73) Milwich par. Mid. Stafford. 4 m. ESE. of
Stone-141. JiP COTON hmlt. (62) Wiggington
par. SE. Stafford. 1 m. NW. of Tamworth-115.
Pop. 216.

COTON, FAR and NEAR, hmlt. (63) Mkt. Bos-
worth par. W. Leicest. 1 m. SW. of Mkt. Bosworth
-106, a meet for the Atherstone hounds. Pop. 67.
^ C. Hall (53) 4 m. NE. of Rugby, E. Warwick.
near Watling St., Marchioness of Queensberry,
commanding a fine view, iggf C.-TN-THE-ELMS
tnshp. (71-2) Lullington par. S. Derby. 5m. S. of
Burton-on-Trent-125. Pop. 351; real prop. 27257.
C. Park, 2 m. E.

Cots Loch, near St. Andrew's, N. Elgin, between
L. Spynie and the sea on R. Lossie, was part of
Spynie, which in 13th cent, was an arm of the sea.

"Cotswold Hills (34-5, 43-4) Upper and Lower,
run NE. and SW. through Gloucest. by Marshtiekl,
near Bath, Painswick,Wotten-under-Edge, Stroud
(near which is Symond's hill 795 ft.), Painswick,
Cheltenham (Cleeve hill 1134ft), Winchcombe,
Chipping Camden (Broadway hill 1086 ft.), to.
Warwick, border, and thence through England ;
forming a fine champaign, well watered, healthy
district, 54 m. long, and sometimes 8 broad, at an
average of 500 to 600ft. high. Soil, a clayey
loam, with gravel, or stonebrash, and a sub-
stratum of lias and building stone. Some of
the downs are still open, but the greater part is
enclosed with stone walls. There is little wood-
land ; corn, turnips, sanfoin, etc. are raised ; and
the large coarse-woolled sheep are the chief stock.
Estates are large, and seats numerous ; farms,
from 200 to 1000 acres, on 7 to 21 yrs. lease. The
Thames and Severn canal and Swindon Junct.
rail, cross it at Stroud.

Cott. See Skinburness, Cumbrld.

Cott House (21) near Honiton, E. Devon. 3.
Danby, Esq.

Cottabury (23) 3 m. W. of Dartmouth, S. Devon.

COTTACH vil. Dunscore par. W. Dumfries. 8 m.
NW. of Dumfries-73, near R. Cairn. Pop. 252.

Cottage Isld. (15) in Lough Gill, N. Sligo.
lg|" C. Vale (33) near Cloone, S. Leitrim.

COTTAM tnshp. ( ) Preston par. Mid. Lancasli.
3 m. NW. of Preston-217, on Wyre rail, is joined
to LEA. Pop. 53. giT COTTAM chplry. (83) S.
Leverton par. NE. Notts. 7 m. E. of E. Retford
-141, near R. Trent. Acres 900 ; pop. 89 ; real
prop. 9507. Living, a Cur. with S. Leverton.
t^ COTTAM, or COATHAM, chplry. (94) Lang-
toft par. E. R. York. 5 m. N. of Gt. Driflield-196
near C. Warren. Acres 2760, waste land ; pop. 41 ;



COT

poor r. 237. (Driffield U.) ; real prop. 1229/. Liv-
ing, a Cur. with Langtoft.

Cottenden Street (5) 11 m. NNW. of Battle, E.
Sussex.

P. COTTENHAM par. (51) Chesterton hnnd.Mid.
Cambridge. 5 m. N. of Cambridge-50, is famous
for its cream cheese, but most as the spot to which
Abbot Geoffry, of Croyland, who held the manor,
sent in 1109 his monks, who first established an
academical course at Cambridge. Acres 7510, part
common, with excellent pasture ; pop. 1833 + 20 ;
poor r. 602/. (Chesteit. U.) ; real prop. 11,952/.;
charities 428?., of which Mrs. Pepys school and
apprenticing 153/., church estate 1407. All Saints
Rect. (Ely) val. 7707., patr. Bishop. The vil. was
nearly half burnt Apr. 1850, when 40 farms, inns,
chapel, etc. were destroyed to the val. of 100,0007.
Abp. Tenison was a native (1636-1715), and it
gives title of baron and earl to the Pepys fam. who
were settled here.

COTTERDALE hmlt. ( ) High Abbotside tnshp.
N. R. York, near Hawes-249.

COTTERED par. (46-7) Odsey hund. NE. Herts.
2m. W. of Buntingford-31. Acres 1760; pop.
465 + 3 ; poor r. 1657. (Buntingf. U.) ; real prop.
2116?.; charities 11 31., of which Soames's school
40Z. St. Mary Rect. (Eoch.) val. with Broadfield
348/., patr. W. Brown, Esq.

CotterhiU ( ) W. of Muker, N. R. York, a
range, of which the highest point is Shunner Fell,
2350 ft. high, where Rs. Eden, Swale, and Ure,
rise.

COTTERSTOCK par. (64) Willybrook hand. NE.
Northmptn. 2 m. NNE. of Oundle-78, on R. Nen,
near Northmpt. rail. Acres 690 ; pop. 204 + 4 ;
poor r. 307. (Oundle U.) ; real prop. 15987. ; chari-
ties 51. St. Andrew Vic. (Pet.) val. with Glap-
thorn 91/., patr. Earl of Westmoreland; church,
was made collegiate 1339 by J. Gifford, and has
stalls, canopied brass of a priest (1420), etc. Two
roman pavements, one very perfect, and other
remains, have been found. C. Hall, C. Berkeley,
Esq., formerly of Norton, the friend of Dryden
where the great poet wrote his ' Fables,' and spent
the latter part of his life.

COTTESBATCH par. (53) Guthlaxton hand. 5.
Leicest. 2 m. S. of Lutterworth-89. Acres 1230 ;
pop. 82; poor r. 197. (Lutterw. U.) ; real prop.
2429/. St. Mary Rect. (Pet.) val. 106/., patr.
Rev. R. Marriott, some time held by Wells, who
wrote ' Geography of the Bible.'

COTTESBROOK par. (53) Guildsboro' hund. Mid.
Northmptn. 9 m. NNW. of Northampton-66, has
traces of a small priory cell to Sulby. Acres
3860 ; pop. 252 + 3 ; poor r. 1887. (Brixworth U.) ;
real prop. 24297. ; charities 677., of which Lang-
ham's hosp. 607. All Saints Rect. (Pet.) vaL
4007., patr. Sir J. Langham, Bt. of C. House.

COTTESFORD par. (45) Ploughley hund. N.
Oxford. 5 m. N. of Bicester-54. Acres 1520,
healthy; pop. 187 + 2; poorr. 1077. (Bicest. U.) ;
real prop. 14897. St. Mary Rect. (Oxon.) val.
3447., patr. Eton Coll. C. House, C. Turner, Esq.

COTTESLOE HUNDRED (46) N. Bucks, contains
the pars, of Aston-Abbotts, Cheddington rect.,
Choulesbury cur., Creslow, Cublington r., Dray-
ton- Beauchamp r., Drayton-Parslow r., Dunton
r., Eddlesboro' vie., Grove r., Hardwicke r., Haw-
ridge r., Hoggeston, Great and Little llarwoodr.,
Ivinghoe v., Linchlade c., Marsworth ., Ment-
inore r., Mursley r., Pitstone c., Slapton r., Soul-
bury c., Stewkley v., Swanbourne v., Tattenhoe .,
Whaddon v., Whitchurch v., Wing ., Wingrave
., Winslow, and part of Shenley ; acres 70,010,
hilly, pop. 19,297, houses 1872. See MURESLEY
DEANI.KV



COT



491



COTTESLOE, NORTH and SOUTH, in the above
hund. 4m. WSW. of Leighton-Buzzard-41.

P. COTTESMORE par. (64) Alstoe hund. N".
Rutland. 4m. NE. of Oakham-95, near the canal,
containing Barrow, came through the Beau-
champs, Durants, Harringtons, etc. to the Noels.
Acres 2420, woody, with limestone ; pop. 670 + 4 ;
poor r. 907. (Oakh. U.) ; real prop. 40347. ; chari-
ties 52/. St. Nicholas Rect. (Pet.) val. 893/., patr.
Earl of Gainsborough, of Exton Pk. C. House,
Earl Lonsdale's hunting seat, where the ' C.
hounds ' are kennelled, and which the Pr. Regent
visited 1813-4.

COTTFIELD vil. Alves par. N. Elgin, 6 m. W.
ofElgin-138.

COTTINGHAM par. (64) Corby hund. N. North-
mptn. 8 m. N. of Kettering-74, near R. Wei-
land, containing Middleton, had a leper's house,
and was the saxon Cotingham. Acres 3220 ;
pop. 1033 + 13 ; poor r. 252/. (Ketter. U.) ; real
prop. 2941/. ; charities 437., of which 71. to school.
St M. Magdalene Rect. (Pet.) val. 4267., patr.
Brasenose Coll. Oxon. C. House, late H. Boul-
ton, Esq. (?); Rockingham, Lord Sondes ; Carl-
ton, Sir J. Palmer, Bt.

P. COTTINGHAM par. ( ) Harthill wap. E. R.
York. 4 m. NW. of Hull-171, on N. Midld. branch
rail, and once a market town, containing Duns-
well, Newland Cur., and Haltemprice farm
(where was the austin canonry found. 1324
by the Wakes, who had a castle here, see Bay-
nard (7.), has some countiy seats of the Hull mer-
chants. Acres 8530, with mkt. gardens, etc. ; pop.
2618 + 4; poor r. 879/. (Sculcoates U.) ; real prop.
26,0737. ; charities 697., of which 407. to Kirby's
school. St. Mary Vic. (Yk.) val. with Skidby
1247., patr. Bp. of Chester; church, with a good
tower, has tombs of a Stuteville (who held the
lordship, and) built it 1272, and of the Burtons of
Hall Bank House, with 2 brasses of a monk
(canopied 1382) and priest. An intermitting
spring here flows once only every 2 or 3 years. C.
Castle, T. Thompson, Esq. Fairs, 11 Nov.

COTTINGLEY hmlt. ( ) Bingley tnshp. W. R.
York, near Bingley-202. C. Bridge, C. F. Bus-
field, Esq. ; C. House, Mrs. S. Ferrand.

COTTINGWITH, EAST, chplry. ( ) Aughton
par. E. R. York. 8m. SE. of"York-199, on R.
Derwent and Pocklington canal. Acres 1140 ;
pop. 308; poor r. 1227. (Pocklington U.) ; real
prop. 18897. ; charities 307., of which 47. for edu-
cation. Living, a Cur. with Aughton. gif C.,
WEST, tnshp. Thorganby par. as above. 1 m. SW.
on R. Derwent. Pop. 201.

COTTLES ext. par. (14) Gt. Chalfield par. W.
Wilts. 2 m. NE. of Bradford-100. See LITTLE
CHALFIELD. C. House, J. B. Hale, Esq.

COTTON tnshp. (80) Sandbach par. JUid. Che-
shire, 4m. N. of Sandbach-162, on R. Dane.
Acres 350 ; pop. 101 + 2 ; poor r. 497. (Congleton
U.) ; real prop. 7707. |gT COTTON tnshp. (73)
Ruyton-of-the-Eleven-Towns par. NW. Salop, 8
m. NW. of Shrewsbury-153. Pop. 14. i& COT-
TON tnshp. (73) Wwn par. N. Salop, 3 m. N. of
Wem-163. Pop. 439. ^COTTON par. (50)
Hartismere hund. N. Suffolk, 5 m. NNE. of Stow-
market-76, on E. Count, rail. Acres 1820 ; pop.
545 ; poorr. 3797. (Hartism.U.) ; real prop. 30977. ;
charities, town estate 127. St. Andrew Rect.
(Norw.) val. 35'5/., patr. M. Turner, Esq. C. Hall,
i m. SW.

COTTON ABBOTS tnshp. (80) Chrisleton par.
W. Cheshire, 3 m. ESE. of Chester- 183, near Crewe
rail. Acres 290; pop. 15. <y C.-EDMONDS
tnshp. as above, 1 m. NNE. Acres 430 ; pop. 77 ;
real prop. 9217. O C.-END hmlt. (46) E. Cotts



492



COT



COU



tnshp. Mid. Beds. 3 ra. SE. of Bedford-50. Pop.
508. i^ C.-END, or FAR COTTON, hmlt. (52)
Hardingstone par. Mid. Northmptn. 2 in. S. of
Northampton-66, had a leper's hospital found, by
the Conqueror. Pop. 279. C. House, H. Shuttle-
worth, Esq. ^ C. Hall (47) 2 m. E. of Haver-
hill, SW. Suffolk. ^ C. OF LOWNIE, vil.
Dunnichen par. S. Forfar. 4 m. SE. of Forfar-58.
Pop. 100.

COTTON, UPPER and LOWER, tnshp. (72) Al-
ton par. NE. Stafford. 4m. NE. of Cheadle-146.
Pop. 519, in the lime quarries ; real prop. 2209?.
Living, a Cur. (Lich.) vaL 44?., patr. T. Gilbert,
Esq. C. Hall, .

Cotton's Hope ( ) 13 m. NNW. of Bellingham,
W. Northmbrld.

Cottrell (20) 5 m. E. of Cowbridge, SE. Gla-
morgan., Sir G. Tyler, knt.

COTWAT, END vil. (62) Sedgeley par. S. Staf-
ford. 2 m. NW. of Dudley-119.

COTWAUL tnshp. (61) with Moortown, Ercall-
Magna par. Mid. Salop, 5 m. NW. of Wellington
-142. Pop. 439.

Couchiere (La) Rock, on the Bane de Violet,
SE. corner of Jersey, Channel Islds. See La
Conchiere.

Cougar Hill, in N. Uist, Western Islds.

COUGHALL tnshp. (80) Backford par. NW.
Cheshire, 3 m. N. by E. of Chester-183, on Elles-
mere canal.

COUGHTON hmlt. (43) Walford par. S.Hereford.
2 m. S. of Ross-120, near E. Wye. Church, in ruins.
$gp" COUGHTON par. (54) Barlichway hund. W.
Warwick. 2 m. N. of Alcester-103, on R. Arrow,
contains Sambourn. Acres 3070 ; pop. 955 ; poor
r. 116?. (Alcest. U.); real prop. 2110Z. ; charities
34:1., and Throckmorton's almsh. St. Peter Vic.
(Wore.) val. 161?., patr. Sir R. Throckmorton,
Bt. of C. Hall, a venerable seat b. by the Spines ;
church, has tombs of the family. C. Kings, 1 m. S.

Coul, atContin, E.Ross. Sir G. S. M'Kenzie, Bt.

COULAGH hmlt. (101, 114) Bear bar. W. Cork,
4 m. NW. of Bearhaven-223, on C. Bay, between
Kilcatherine point and Cod's head. Pop. 270.



Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 137 of 293)