Copyright
James A Sharp.

A new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) online

. (page 143 of 293)
Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 143 of 293)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


1470.

CROCHETSTOWN vil. (22) Tireragh bar. W.
Sligo, near Ballina-159. Pop. 155.

CROCK STREET hmlt. (21) Donyatt and II-
minster pars. S. Somerset. I m. SW. of Ilminster
-136. Pop. 54, in the potteries.

CROCKAGAY hmlt. (33) Mohill bar. S. Leitrim,
2 in. S. of Cloone-93.

CROCKAUSSA hmlt. (39) Mohill bar. S. Leitrim,
5 m. E. of Durmod-85.

Crocankagun (12) 5 m. SE. of Nobber, N.
Heath.

Crockanore Hill (7) near Multyfarnham, N.
Westmeath, 491 ft. high.

P. CROOKENHILL hmlt. (6) Evnesford and St.
Mary Cray pars. NW. Kent, 6 m. ESE. of Bromley
-10. Pop. 470.

CROCKER HILL hmlt. (9) Boxgrove par. W.
Sussex, 3 m. NE. of Chichester-62. Pop. 52.
^ C. Hill (1 1) 2 m. N. of Fareham, S. Hants.

CROCKERN PILL. See PILL, Somerset, a Bristol
pilot station on the Severn.

Crockern Tor (25) in Dartmoor forest, S. Devon.
commanding a good view, is a wild spot near the
Crokers' old seat, and where the Stannary courts
are opened, and then adjourned to a town.

P. CUOCKERNWELL ( ) 1 1 m. W. of Exeter
-164, Mid. Devon, near the Teign, in the midst
of some fine rocky scenery.

P. CROCKERTON (14) 2 m. S. of Warminster,
5 W. Wilts, is a Cur. with Deverill Longbridge.

P. CROCKETFORD vil. Kirkpatrick-Durham par.
NE. Kirkcudbt. near the following. Pop. 117.
igig~ CROOKETFORD vil. Urr par. NE. Kirkcudbt.
8 m. NE. of Castle-Douglas- 92, on R. Cargen.
Pop. 122.

Crockford Bridge (8) 2 m. S. of Chertsey, NW.
Surrey, over Bourn Brook.

Crochglass Mountain (30) 4 m. S. of Muff, NE.
Donegal, 1295 ft. high.

Crockleford (48) 4 m. E. of Colchester, NE.
Essex.

CROCKNABOYOGE hmlt. (3) Rosclogher bar.
N. Leitrim, 4 m. S. of Kinlough-141.

CROCKRAUN vil. (37) Sleivemargy bar. S.
Queen's Co. near Carlow-49.

Crocolana of the Romans, is BROUGH on the
Fosseway, Notts.

CUOE DISTRICT, Kintail par. S W. Ross, on C.
Water, which runs to L. Duich.

Croes-ati, or Atiscross ( ) near Flint, N. Flint.
had a cross to mark the boundary of a hund. of
the same name, which, with the shire, was under
the norman earls of Chester. Remains of build-
ings, scoriae, etc. have been found.

CROES tnshp. (57) with Berwyn, Caron-ys-
Clawdd par. E. Cardigan. 2 m. SE. of Tregaron
-204, on C. River, which joins R. Teivi below.
Pop. 250; real prop. 51 It



C1IO

Croesllrchan Cromlech ( ) near Talgarth, E.
Brecon, has its top stone lifted some inches by
a hawthorn which has grown under it.

CKOESLLWYBIR tnshp. ( ) I.luniilltx's par. -S.
Montgomery, near Llanidloes-188.

Croes-y-ceiling (36) 3 m. SSE. of Ponty-pool
14!), S. Monmouth.

CKOFOKD tythg. (21) with Nunnington, Wive-
liscombe par. W. Somerset. 2 m. E. of Wivelis-
combe-153. Pop. 455.

CROFT par. (55) Wolphy hund. N. Hereford.
5 m. NW. of Leominster-137, contains Newton,
on R. Lugg, belonged, from before the Conquest,
to the Crofts, who had a castle here. Acres
1980, part in hops; pop. 144 + 2; poor r. 31.
(Leomin. U.); real prop. 1169/. St. Michael
Rect. (Heref.) val. with Yarpole 2837., patr.
E. H. K. Davies, Esq. of C. Castle, where is
C. Ambrey, a double- ditched british camp.
1ST CROFT tnshp. (80) Winwick par. 5. Lan-
cash. 3 m. SE. of Newton-193, is joined to SOUTH-
WORTH, and is a Rect. (Ches.) val. /., patr.
Rector ; church, b. 1833. t^~ CROFT par. (C3)
Sparkenhoe hund. Mid. Leicest. 5 m. ENE. of
Hinckley-99, on R. Soar, and the Fosseway.
Acres 1010; pop. 321+4, stocking-makers; poor
r. 140/. (Blaby U.) ; real prop. 24167. Living, a
Rect. (Pet.) val. 5827., patr. Rev. R. T. Adnutt,
rector; church, has brass of a knight in mail
(1310). C. Hall, J. Brookes, Esq. U^ CROFT
par. (84) Candleshoe wap. E. Lincoln. 7 m. SE.
of Spilsby-129, on R. Steeping, near C. Sank or
road. Acres 5840 ; pop. 649 + 10 ; poor r. 2487.
(Spils. U.); real prop. 10,410/. ; charities 31. and
some houses. All Saints Vic. (Line.) val. 338/.,
patr. Lord Monson. C. End, 1 m. N W. C. Manor
House. ^ CROFT (61) 2 m. WN W. of Bridg-
north-139, SE. Salop.

P. CROFT par. ( ) E. Gilling wap. N. R.
York. & watering-place and station on Gt. N. of
Engld. rail. 263^ m. from London, 3 m. S. of
Darlington, on R. Tees, and Durham border, con-
taining Dalton, Gt. Smeaton, and Stapleton.
Acres 70GO, with a good sulphur spa, of town
with Halnaby 4700 ; pop. 744 + 5, and 422 ; poor
r. 208/. (Darling. U.) ; real prop. 42867. ; charities
lOt St. Peter Rect. (Rip.) val. 8257., patr.
Crown ; church, has tombs of the Clervaux, an-
cestors of Sir W. Chaytor, Bt. of C. Hall, who
has the manor. A small branch rail, runs to the
town.

Croft Lodge (51) 2 m. SSW. of Cambridge, S.
Cambridge. J. Martin, Esq. igf C. Lodge ( )
1 m. SVV. of Ambleside, W. Westmrld.

CROFTDYKE vil. Ceres par. Mid. Fife. 5 m. N.
of Largo-27. Pop. 129.

Crofthandy (31) 2 m. E. of Redruth, SW. Corn-
wall.

CROFTHEAD vil. Whitburn par. S. Linlithgw.
2A m. S. of Whitburn-20. igg" CROFTHEAD vil.
Neilston par. S. Renfrew, near Neilston-53, on
Severn water. Pop. 297.

Crofthole, or Craflhole (24) 2 m. S. of St. Ger-
niains, SE. Comical/.

CROFTON tnshp. ( ) Thursby par. N. Cum-
brld. 3 m. ENE. of Wigton-309, on Carlisle rail.
Pop. 80 ; real prop. 12297. C. Place, Sir W.
Briscoe, Bt, has been reclaimed from the heath
around. {3 CROFTON chplry. (11) Titchfield
par. S. Hants. 2 m. SW. of Fareham-73, near S.
West. rail, contains Stubbington. Pop. 809 ; real
prop. G9307. Holy Rood Cur. with Titchfield.
C. House, T. Naghten, Esq. jT CROFTON hmlt.
(70) Swarby par. S. Lincoln. 4 m. S. of Sleaford
-115. Pop. 17. 53 CROFTON. See CORFTON,
Salop. $3- CROFTON tythg. (14) with Wolf-



CRO



511



hall, Gt. Bodwin par. E. Wilts. C in. SW. of
1 limgerford-64, on Kennet and Avon canal. Pop.
108.

P. CROFTON par. (87) Lower Agbrigg wap.
W. R. York. 3 m. SW. of Wakefield-18'2, near
N. Midld. rail, contains Birkwood. Acres 970 ;
pop. 389 + 3; poor r. 1517. (Gt, Preston Incorp.);
real prop. 2983/. ; charities 19/. All Saints Rtct.
(Rip.) val. 334/., patr. Duchy of Lancas. C.
Hall, .

Crofton Hall (6) 4 m. SE. of Bromley, NW.
Kent.

Crofts ( ) 4 m. ENE. of Whitehaven, W.
Cumbrld.

CROGDEAN, or CROOKDEAN tnshp. ( ) Kirk-
whelpington par. Mid. Northmbrld. 9 m. E. of
Bellingham-294. Pop. 9.

CROGKN tnshp. (74) Llandderfel par. NE.
Merioneth. 5 m. E. of Bala-194, on R. Dee, is a meet
for Capt. Hopwood's harriers. Pop. 28.

CROGEN-IDDON and C.-W.-LAi)iE8tnshps. (74)
Llangollen par. S. Denl>igh. near Llangollen-184,
and Chirth Castle (which see). Pop. 197 and
151 ; real prop. 12477.

CROGENNANT tnshp. (59) with Morfa, Llan-
gelynin par. S W. Merioneth. 4 m. N. of Towyn
-217. Pop. 390 ; real prop. 80G/.

CROGHAN par. (3-10) Lower Philipstown bar.
N. King's Co. 4 m. N. of Philipstown-50, under
C. Hill, which is cultivated to the top. Acres
5794, chiefly bog; pop. 915 + 7. Living, a se-
questrated Rect. (Du. G. K.) val. 827. ^ CRO-
GHAN. See CROAGHAN, Roscomn. igf Croghan
(5) 12. m. NE. of Borisokane, N. Tippery.

Crogluin Mountns. (43) 5 m. W. of Arklow, S.
Wichlow, on the Wexfd. border, 1345 ft. high.

CROGHTON. See CROUGHTON, Cheshire.

CROGLIN, i. e. Caregg-llyn, par. ( ) Leath ward,
E. Cumbrld. 11 m. NNE. of Penrith-283, on C.
Water (which rises at Hoffenside beacon, and
runs WSW. 12 m. to R. Eden, through some wild
scenery), belonged to the Hastings, Whartons,
and Wyndhams. Acres 9180 ; pop. 336 ; poor r.
497. (Penrith U.) ; real prop. 21307.; charities.
Hunter's school (247.), where Dr. Locke, who
founded Westminster lying-in hosp., was edu-
cated. St. J. Baptist Rect. (Carl.) val. 2237., patr.
Rev. G. Bowman, rector. C. Hall, .

CROGO vil. Balmaclellan par. N. Kirkcvdbt.
8 m. W. of New Galloway-98.

CROGRONE par. ( )" E. Carbery bar. Cork,
formerly belonging to Timoleague abbey, and
since joined to Kilbritain and others.

Crolian, West, Mountain (91) 6 m. SE. of Clo-
gheen, S. Tippery. 1718 ft. high.

CROHANE par. (54-5) Sleivardagh bar. E.
Tippery. 2m. E. of Killenaule 96, on Limerick
border. Acres 5434; an. val. 44607. ; pop. 1817
+ 42. Living, a Rect. with Lismullin.

Crohery Lough (92) 4 m. S. of Ballyhaunis, SE.
Mayo.

CROICH par. q. *. in Kincardine par. N. Ross.
and Cromarty. near Bonar-200. Pop. 316. Living
(presb. Tain) val. /., patr. Crown.

Crokeplace Hall ( ) 5 m. SE. of Wokington,
W. Cumbrld.

Crolln Islih. Applecross par. W. Ross. 5 m.
NE. of Scalpa isld. Pop. 40.

Cromack Point (35) 3 m. WSW. of Kirkmaiden,
SW. Wigton.

Cromaglan Mountain (74} Magunihy bar. Mid.
Kerry, E. side of Upper Killarney lough, 1226 ft.
high.

Cromal, near Inverness, N. Invern. a british fort.

Cromane Point (56) 4m. NW. of Kilorglin, W.
Kerry, in Castlemaine harbour.



512



CRO



CRO



Cromar, i. e. Low Mar, a part of ifarr district,
S. Aberdeen, containing the pars. oi'CouI, Tarlaud,
Migvy, Logie, Coldstone, and part of Tulloch.

CROMAKTYSHIRB. See Ross.

* P. M. CROMARTY par., in the above co., on
C. Frith, 18 m. NNE. of Inverness, 185 from Edin-
bro', the shire and sessions town, sub-port to
Inverness, coast-gd. station, and a royal burgh
up to 1G70, when it became a burgh of barony
under the Urquharts; was made a parl. burgh
contributory to Wick by the Reform bill, no.
of electors 36 ; and under the new act is governed
by a provost and 6 council., with a revenue of
Z. Size 8 m. by 1 to 4, or about 7000 acres,
moor}-, but fertile in part ; pop. 2662, decreasing,
of burgh 1936, chiefly in the herring fishery,
which has declined, with a little trade and ship-
building ; houses 340, neat, with 2 chapels, 2 banks,
school, and quay for ships of 350 tons ; real prop.
389 1Z. ; for poor 910Z. Living (presb. Chanonry)
val. 252Z., patr. Crown. C. House, Ross, Esq.,
commanding a fine view of the Frith, etc., stands
near the old cast, and chapel of the Urquharts ;
Udal, Anderson, Esq. A danish camp and cairn ;
and an arch called M'Farquhar's Bed, under the
cliffs, which rise in some parts 250 ft. Mkt. D.
Tues. Fairs, day before Culbockie and Fortrose,
and after Invergorden fairs ; 3rd Wed. Nov. o. s.

Cromarty Frith, as above, between Ross, and
Cromarty., the Vara or Tua of Ptolemy, is the
mouth of the Conan, etc. forming a noble har-
bour 12m. long up to Dingwall, and 2 in. broad,
with 5 to 35 fath. water, free from danger ; the
entrance, between two bluff points called the
Sutors of C., is 1A m. across, with 12 to 30 fath.
and the Three Kings reef outside. C. Point (or
the Sutors) light, lat. 55 41' N., long. 4 2' W.,
put up 1846, is 50 ft. high and seen 9 m.

CROMBIE POINT vil. Torryburn par. S W. Fife.
3J m. SW. of Dunfermline-f 6. Pop. 54.

CROMBY viL Panbride par. S. Forfar. near
Monikie-56.

CROM DALE -par. 25 m. E. of Inverness-161, E.
Invent, and W '. Elgin, containing Grantown, on
R. Spey, which makes a bend (' crom ') here, and
is the scene of Claverhouse's defeat, 1690, by Col.
Livingston. Size 15 m. by 4 to 8, bare heath with
some wood ; pop. 3561 + 33 ; real prop. 3795Z. ; for
poor 616Z. Living (presb. Abertheny) val. 249/.,
patr. Earl of Seafield of Castle Grant, sole heritor.
An old fort at Lochindorb. An orphan hosp.
here(?).

Crome Hill (8) near Lisburn, NW. Down, on R.
Lagan.

CKOMEB (46) 4 m. ENE. of Stevenage-31, NE.
Herts.

P. CROMER par. (68) N. Erpingham hund. N.
Norfolk, 21 m. N. of Norwich, 129 from London,
a coast-gd. station, sub-port to Clare, and water-
ing place on the cliffs of the N. Sea with fine
prospects, was a mkt. town, and included Shipden
harb. which was swallowed up about Hen. IV. 's
time. Acres 800, decreasing from the encroach-
ments of the sea ; pop. 1240 + 1, many fishermen ;
houses 279, middling with a chapel, Read's school
(found. 1505 as a gram, school) and some remains
of the old wall; poor r. 362Z. (Erpingh. U.) ;
real prop. 4988Z. ; charities 28Z. of which IOZ. to
school, besides 75Z. from Goldsmiths' comp. St.
Peter and Paul Vic. (Norw.) val. 99Z., patr.
Bishop of Ely ; church, of flint, later eng. 15th
cent, with a tower 150 ft. high. Fine lobsters, etc.
are caught on the coast, which, on account of its
dangers, seamen call the ' Devil's throat ;' at Foul-
ness is the light, lat. 52 56' N., long. 1 19/ E.,
put up 1719, revolving once a minute, 274 ft.



h : gh, and visible 22 m. About 8 m. NNE. is C.
K.-iott, 3 m. long with 2 to 4 fath. ; 5 m. beyond
it is C. Bunk with 4 to 7 fath. C. Hall, Sir E. N.
Buxton, lit. ; Felbrig, Adml. Wyndham. Bacon,
who discovered Iceland, was a native. In winter
the sun is seen rising and setting in the sea.

Cramer Green (43) 6 m. SW. of Upton, SW.
Worcester. 3" C. Hide (46) 3 m. NNW. of
Hatfield, Mid. Herts.

P. M. CROMFORD chplry. (71, 82) Wirksworth
par. Mid.. Derby. 2 m. N. of Wirksworth- 140, on
that canal and rail, and R. Derwent, was a crown
manor called Crunford at 'Domesdy.' where Ark-
wright, 1775, built his first mill Pop. 1407 nil,
in the cotton mills, which are worked by a sough
or adit, 2 m. long, from the lead and zinc mines ;
houses 262, with lead and colour works, Ark-
wright's free school, Lady Armyne's bead house
for 6 wiuows (14Z.) ; poor r. 4207. (Bakewell U.) ;
real prop. 3072Z. Living, a Cur. (Lich.) val.
180Z., patr. R. Arkwrjght, Esq. of Willersley Cast,
or the Rock House, which has a portrait (by
Wright of Derby) of his father, who b. the
church, 1796-7, in a fine spot. Roman coins,
of the lower empire, have been found at Scar-
thinnick; and a rare muriate of lead in the
adit. C. Canal, 18 m. long, made 1789-93 by
Jessop, crosses R. Derwent by an aqueduct of
200 yds., R. Amber by another" aqueduct of 200
yds. (under the rail.), passes Butterley by a tunnel
of 2798 yds. and joins Erewash canal at Langley
mill, rising 80 ft. C. and High Peak Rail, mad'e
1830 for minerals, merchandize, etc. at a cost of
200,OOOZ., and worked by fixed engines and horse
power, is 33 m. long, passing (with a total rise
of 990 ft.) from the canal near Cromford, over
the shoulder of the Peak near the Buxton road
to the Peak Forest canal near Whaley bridge,
whence the way is open to Ashton under Lyne.
Much was expected from it, but it has proved un-
successful. Mkt. D. Sat.

CROMHALL ABBOTS par. (35) Upper Berkeley
hund. W. Gloucest. 3 m. E. of Thornbury-124,
near Glouc. and Brist. rail, belonged to St. Au-
gustine's abbey, Bristol, and contains C. Lygon,
once a seat of that fam. Acres 2810, heathy, with
coal, limestone ; pop. 732 ; poor r. 296Z. (Thornb.
U.) ; real prop. 3716Z. ; charities 51. St. Andrew
Rect. (Gl. and Br.) val. 468Z., patr. Oriel Coll.Oxon.
C. Park is near.

Cromlington Hall ( ) near , Northmlrld. seat
of M. Lawson, Esq.

Cromlix, near Dumblane, 5. Perth, has a good
mineral spring.

Cromore (25) near Doneraile, N. Cork. gap- Cm-
more (3) 3 m. NNW. of Coleraine, NE. Londondy.
J. Cromie, Esq.

CROMPTON tnshp. (88) Prestwich-cum-Oldham
par. SE. f^ancash. 3 m. N. of Oldham-191, in that
boro', contains HIGH C., Shaw, and Cowlishaw.
Acres 2290, moorland ; pop. 6729, in the cotton
mills and collieries ; poorr. 1236Z. (Oldh. U.) ; real
prop. 15.920Z. Living a Cur. (Manch.) val. 130Z.,
patr. Crown and Bishop. C. Hall, in ruins.

CROMWELL par. (83) N. Thurgaton wap. E.
Notts. 7 m. NE. of Southwell-132, on R. Trent.
Acres 1170 ; pop. 203 + 2 ; poor r. 52Z. (Southw.
U.) ; real prop. 2440Z. St. Giles Rect. (Line.) val.
420Z., patr. Duke of Newcastle. C. House, Rev. C.
Clinton. gS" Cromwell Fort ( ) near Waterford,
NE. Water ford. Major W. Snow, at the spot
whence the Protector threatened the town. t^"C.
PARK vil. Redgerton par. SE. Perth, near Perth
-40. Pop. 124, in the cotton works. igaT C.
Place (53) at Huntingdon, Mid. Hunts, seat of G.
Rush, Esq. a descendant of the Protector.



CRO

CromweWs Bush (33) near Duleck, E. Meath.
(g C. ford (3) near Rattwilly, N. Carlow.

Cromwellsfort (36) near Wexford, SE. Wexford,
J. Cornock, Esq.

Cronay Isld. 2 m. E. of Stower Head, W.Suthrld.

Cronbane Copper Mine (35) 4 m. S. by E. of
Eathdrum, SE. Wicklow, on K. Ovoca.

CRONDALL, UPPER AND LOWER, HUNDRED
(8, 12) Odiham div. NE. Hants, contains the pars,
of Aldershott, Crondall, Long Sutton, Famboro',
and Yateley ; acres 28,220, pop. 6508, houses 1131.

P. CRONDALL par. in the above hund. 4 m. SE.
of Odiham-40, on Basingstoke canal and roman
way to Silchester, containing Crookbam, Ewshott
curs., Dippenhall, and Swanthrope, belongs to
Dean and Chap, of Westminster. Acres 9540 ; pop.
2199+ 18, of tythg. 423; poor r. 1306/. (Hart-
ley Whitney U.) ; real prop. 1660/. All Saints
Vic. (Win.) val. 441/., patr. St. Cross Hosp.
Winchester; church, has brass of a priest (1370).
Roman coins, etc. have been found.

Crone (36) near Redcross, SE. Wicklow.

Crondea (43) 6 m. NW. of Caraew, SW.
Wicklow.

Cronesallagh (35) near Aughrim,.Mid. Wicklow.

CRONGORT vil. (8) Corcomroe bar. NW Clare,
7 m. NW. of Ennistymon-154.

CRONK-E-VODDEE ( ) Kirk-German par. /. of
Man, near Peel, is a Cur. (Sod.) val. 65/., patr. .
fsP C.-ny-Marroo ( ) 4 m. NE. of Castletown,
/. of Man, a tumulus near the coast.

CRONKILL tnshp. (61) Atcham par. Mid. Salop,

4 m. SE. of Shrewsbury-152, seat of F. Walford,
Esq.

Cronkley ( ) 15 m. NW. of Barnard's Castle,
N.R. York.

CRONROE vil. (25) Newcastle bar. E. Wicklow,
3 m. NW. of Wicklow-31. C. House, J. A. Eccles,
Esq. under C. Rock. Fairs, 12 May, 2 Oct

CRONTON tnshp. (80) Prescot par. S. Lancash.
3 m. SE. of Prescot-198, near Runcorn rail, con-
tains C. SMITHIES vil. and C. TOWNEND limit.
Acres 1000 ; pop. 402 + 11 ; poor r. 1001. (Presc.
U.) ; real prop. 2602/.

Cronybyme (24) 3 m. N. of Rathdrum, E.
Wicklow, A. W. Byrne, Esq.

Cronyhorne (47) near Carnew, S W. Wicklow.
T. Derinzy, Esq.

Cronyktery (26) 3 m. NW. of Wicklow, E.
Wicklow.

Crooghan (17) near Mulroy bay, N. Donegal.

P. CROOK tnshp. ( ) with Billy-Row, Brauce-
peth par. Mid. JDurfiam, 5 m. NW. of Bishop's
Auckland-248, on a branch of Weardale rail, be-
longed to the Hiltons and Bakers. Acres 4310 ; pop.
538 -r 53, in the coal mines ; poor r. 137f. (Auckld.
U.) ; real prop. 2354Z. Living a Cur. (Dur.) val. /.,
patr. Rector. C. Hall, Rev. R. Williamson, where
R. Baker, who wrote Hist, of St. John's Coll. Camb.,
was born. ^g CROOK limit. Alves par. N. Elgin.

5 m. W. of Elgin-138. Pop. 73. $3" CROOK
chplry. ( ) Kendal par. SW. Westmrld. 4 m.
WN W. of Kendal-262 ; pop. 257 + 1 ; poor r. 80/.
(Kendal U.); real prop. 1722/. Living, a Cur.
(Ches.) val. 77/., patr. Vicar. C. Hall, was a seat
of the Philipsons.

P. Crook Burn, at the head of R. Clyde, S W.
Lanark. (3f C. FARMS ( ) Thurnham tnshp.
N. iMncash. 4 m. SSW. of Lancaster-240. $3 C.
OK DKVON vil. Fossaway par. E. Perth, and W.
Kinross. 5 m. W. of Kinross-27, in a pleasant spot
at the crook or bend of R. Devon. Pop. 61.

CROOKUAKE or CROOKDALE ( ) Bromlield par.
W. Cumbrld. 6 m. SW. of Wigton-303, on Mary-
port rail. Pop. 191 ; real prop. 1780/. C. Hall, seat
of F. L. B. Dykes, Esq. through the Ballantines.



513

CROOKDEAK. See CROGDEAX, NitrthmMd.

CROOKE par. (18) Gualtiere bar. E. Water ford,
6 m. SE. of Waterford-96, near the harbour, had
a castle or preceptory of the Templars. Acres
1935; pop. 814, decreasing. Living, a Rect. (Ca.
E. W. L.) val. 135/., patr. Crown. Kilcop Ho. J.
Coghlan, Esq.

Crooked Rivulet (38) E. Muskerry bar. W. Cork,
about 3 m. long, falls into R. Blackwater, on the
borders of Kerry.

Crooked Wood (12) 4 m. SE. of Multyfarnham,
N. Wcstmeath.

CROOKES limit. (81) Nether Hallam tnshp.
W. R. York. 1 m. N W. of Sheffield-162.

Crookham (12) 5 m. ESE. of Newbury-56, &
Berks, near C. Heath. C. House, R Tull, Esq. ;
C. End House, Burley, Esq.

CROOKHAM tythg. (8) Crondall par. NE.Hants.
3 m. ENK of Odiham-40, near Basingstoke canal.
Pop. 728; real prop. 2056/. Christchurch Cur.
(Win.) val. with Ewshott 1001., patr. Vicar.
giT CROOKHAM tnshp. ( ) Ford par. N. Nortk-
mbrld. 8 m. NNW. of Wooler-320, on R. Till,
contains Harden and Pallinsburn.

P. CROOKHAVEN vil. (149) W. Carbery bar.
SW. Cork, 9 m. SW. of Skull-221, a police and
coast-gd. station, and sub-port to Baltimore, in
C. Haven, has Rock Isld. light. Pop. 395, de-
creasing, in the coasting trade. The harbour
though narrow is useful in bad weather for small
craft. Off Coghlan's tower is the Alderman rock.
C. House, R. N otter, Esq.

Crookhill Hall ( ) near Conisborough, W. R.
York. F. J. Woody ear, Esq.

CROOKHILLS hmlt. ( ) Preston-Richard tnshp.
S. Westmrld. 3 m. NE. of Milnthorpe-255.

CROOKHOUSE tnshp. ( ) Kirk- Newton par. N.
Northmbrld. 4 m. NW. of Wooler-320.

Crookin Cowey (32) nearBarhall bay, E.Down.

CROOKS and C. MOOR limits. ( ) Nether
Hallam and Eccleshall Bierlow tnshps. W.R.
York. 4 m. SW. of Sheffield-162.

P. CROOKSTON vil. Stow par. SE. Edinbro", 5 m.
NNW. of Stow-24. C. House, Borthwick, Esq.
^ C. Castle, 3 m. SE. of Paisley, S. Renfrew.
on R. White Cart, belonging to the Maxwells of
Pollok, was held by Darnley when he wooed Q.
Mary.

CROOKSTOWN, or MOVIDDY, hmlt. (83) E.
Muskerry bar. Mid, Cork, 7 m. SE. of Macroom
-171. C. House, J. B. Warren, Esq.

P. CROOM par. (21-2, 30-1) Coshma, Upper
Connello, and Pubblebrien bars. Mid. Limerick,
llm. SSW. of Limerick, 127 from Dublin, a petty
sessions and police station, on R. Maigue, has a
castle built by the O'Donovans, which upon its
forfeiture was rebuilt by the Fitzgeralds (who
took hence their cry of " Crom a boo"), and re-
peatedly captured by various parties down to
1691, when it was given up to Will. III. Acres
13,497, good, with limestone; an. val. 15.872/. ;
pop. 7097 + 12, of town 1470 + 20; houses 208,
with 2 chapels, dispensary, corn mills. Living,
a Rect. (Lk. A. A.) val. 1130/., patr. E. Croker,
Esq. who has the manor and old castle, now re-
stored. C, House, J. D. Lyons, Esq. It is to be
the head of a new poor 1. Union ; and Carrigeen
or Dysert round tower and old church are near.
Fairs, 3 May, 22 June, 1 Sept. 8 Dec. ftjp CROOM
hmlt. ( ) Sledmore par. E. R, York. 8 m. NW.
of Gt Driffield-196. Pop. 31.

CHOOME, D'AiiiTOT, par. (44, 54) Lower Os-
waldslow hund. S. Worcester. 3 m. NE. of Upton
-111, near Birmingham and Glouc. rail., belonged-
to Urso d'Abitot, earl of Worcester, and sinco
15C3 to the Coventrys. Acre** 1510; pop. Ji'J;

Li



514



CRO



poor r. 57Z. (Upton U.) ; real prop. 1752Z. St M.
Magdalen Rect. (Wor.) val. with Pirton 500/.,
patr. Earl of Coventry, of whose fam. the church
has mons. C. Park, seat of the Earl, was laid out
by Browne, of whom an urn records, that he
" formed this garden scene out of a morass ; " at
the house are pictures of the Ld. Keeper, etc. and
some fine Gobelin tapestry, ^g" C., EARL'S, par.
(44) as above, 1 m. NE. of Upton. Acres 1650 ;
pop. 194 ; poor r. 111. ; real prop. 1954Z. ; charities
\1L St. Nicholas Rect. (Wore.) val. 200Z., patr. Rev.
C. Dunne, rector. g3" C. HILL par. as above,
li m. SE. Acres 840 ; pop. 201 ; poor r. 119Z. ; real
prop. 1457Z. ; charities, Cotterill's 1 9Z, St. Mary
Rect. (Wore.) val. 200/., patr. Ld. Chancellor.

CROPREDY par. (53) Banbury and Bloxham
hunds. Oxford, and Kington hund. Warwick. 4 m.
N. of Banbury-71, on Oxford canal and the Cher-
well, containing Claydon, Wardington, Molling-
ton cur*., Bourton, and Coton Williamscote, was
the scene of a battle 1644, when Ch. I. obliged
Waller to retire. Acres 7820; pop. 2727 + 12;
poor r. 3731. (Banb. U.) ; real prop. 4669Z. ; cha-
rities 106Z., of which 38Z. to Calcott's and Bourton
Bchools. St. Mary Vic. (Oxon.) val. with the
above curs. 592/., patr. Bishop ; church, has tombs
of the Danbys of Cornbury, and Gostelows of
Prescot House.

CROPSTON tnshp. (63) Thurcaston par. Mid.
Leicest. 4 m. NNW. of Leicester-96. Acres 880 ;
pop. Ill ; poor r. 60Z. (Barrow-on-Soar U.).

P. CROPTHORN par. (44, 54) Mid. Oswaldslow
hund. S. Worcester. 3 m. ESE. of Pershore-102, a
fine spot, on R. Avon, containing Charlton and
Netherton. Acres 3520 ; pop. 782 + 4 ; poor r. 94Z.
(Persh. U.) ; real prop. 6277/. ; charities 16Z., of
which 10Z. to Holland's school. St. Michael Vic.
(Wore.) val. I., patr. Dean and Chap. ; church,
with tombs of the Dineleys, who had the manor.

CROPTON chplry. ( ) Middleton par. N. R.
York. 4 m. NW. of Pickering-226, on R. Severn,
has many british tumuli, and traces of an old
road. Acres 3810 ; pop. 335 ; poor r. 43Z. (Picker.
U.) ; real prop. 1850Z. ; charities 34/.

CROPWELL, BISHOP, par. (71) S. Bingham wap.
S. Notts. 3 m. SSW. of Bingham-124, on Gran-
tham canal and the Fosseway, near C. Wolds.
Acres 1380; pop. 533 + 6; poor r. 747. (Bingh.
U.); real prop. 2520/. ; charities U. St. Giles
Vic. (Line.) val. 177Z., patr. Bp. of Ripon. ^" C.-
BUTLER tnshp. Tythby par. as above, 1 m. N.
near the Fosseway. Acres 2080 ; pop. 678 + 12 ;
poor r. 116Z. ; real prop. 3384Z.

Crorywood (15) near Ferns, N. Wexford.



Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 143 of 293)