Copyright
James A Sharp.

A new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) online

. (page 146 of 293)
Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 146 of 293)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


2 m. W. of Malpas-168. Acres 1260 ; pop. 240 ;
poor r. 1507. (Wrexham U.); real prop. 18747.
giP CUDDINGTON tnshp. (80) Weaverham par.
Mid. Cheshire, 5 m. WSW. of North wich- 174.
Acres 990; pop. 253; poor r. 947. (Northwich
U.) ; real prop. 26197. C. House, . ^- CUD-
DINGTON par. (8) Second Copthorne hund. NE.
Surrey, 1 m. NNE. of Ewell-13, near Nonsuch
park." Acres 1850; pop. 158 + 2; poor r. 1357.
(Epsom U.) ; real prop. 7. St Mary Vic. (Win.) ;
no church.

Cuddoo Rock ( ) off Ballynahinch bar. NW
Galway, 3 m. NE. of High isld.

CUUHAM, or COWDHAM, par. (6) Ruxley hund.
Sutton-at-Hone lathe, NW. Kent, 6 m. "SSE. of
Bromley-10, was a mkt. town under the Apper-
fields, who were seated here. Acres 5930 ; pop.
776 + 11; poor r. 6337. (Broml. U.); real prop.
42757. ; charities, Wood's 57. St. Peter and Paul
Vic. (Roch.) val. 7., patr. Ld. Chancellor;
church, has a brass (1503).

Cudliptown Manor (25) near Tavistock, S W.
Devon.

CUDWORTH par. (18) S. Petherton hund. 5.
Somerset. 3 m. ENE. of Chard-139. Acres 1070 ;
pop. 155 + 1 ; poor r. 437. (Chard U.) ; real prop.
13237. St. Michael Cur. (Ba. and W.) val. 637.,
patr. Bishop. ^ Cudworth (8) 5 m. SSE. of
Dorking, 5. Surrey.

P. CUDWORTH, HIGH and Low, tnshp. (87)
Roystone par. W. R. York. 3 m. NE. of Barnes-
ley-172, on N. Midld. rail. Acres 1520 ; pop. 552
+ 10 ; poor r. 2357. ; real prop. 33817.

CUERDALE tnshp. ( ) Blackburn par. Mid.
Lancash. 2 m. E. of Preston-217, on R. Ribble.
Acres 500; pop. 106; poor r. 217. (Prest. U.);
real prop. 11327. C. Lodge, J. Parker, Esq., be-
longs to the Asshetons of Downham.



622



CUE



CUERDEN tnshp. (89) Leyland par. Mid. IM.H-
cash. 5 m. NNW. of Chorley-208, on Preston and
Wigan rail. Acres 930; pop. 573; poor r. 7 1/.
^Chorl. U.); real prop. 2981/. C. Hall, seat of
W. T. Parker, Esq., through the Banastres. Dr.
Kuerden, whose MSS. collections for the county
are at Manchester, was a native.

CUERDLEY tnshp. (80) Prescot par. /S W. Lan-
cash. 5 m. WSW. of Warrington-184, near R.
Mersey. Acres 1420; pop. 221, decreasing; poor
r. 66/. (Warring. U.) ; real prop. 2682/.

Cues (43) 1 m. W. of Newent, NW. Glpucest.

CUFFABOUTS vil. Carriden par. N. Linlithgw.
2 m. SE. of Bo'ness-19. Pop. 16.

Cuffnells (15) near Lyndhurst, SW. Hants, in
New' Forest, seat of Sir E. Poore, Bt., late of Sir
G. Rose.

CUFFS hmlt. (20) Dunster par. W. Somerset.
near Dunster-lGl, is joined to KITSWAUL.

Cuffsborough (28) 4 m. E. of Rathdowney, S.
Queen's Co.

CUGLEY tvthg. (43) Newent par. NW. Glou-
cester, near Newent-113. Pop. 490; real prop.
237 U.

Cuigh Ulagli, i. e. Ulagh's fifth, of the Irish,
is ULSTER.

Cuilcagh Mountain (6) Tullvhaw bar. NW.
Cavan, '2188 ft. high. igT C. Mountain (37)
12 m. SW. of Enniskillen, S W. Fermanagh, 2188
ft. high.

Cuilleen (52) near Athlone, S. Hoscommon.

Cuilloghan Lough (10) 2 m. E. of Ballyconnell,
N. Cavan.

CUILMORE hmlt. (51) Athlone bar. S. Roscmn.
5m. SW. of Athlone-76.

Cuircne, of the Irish, is Kilkenny-West bar.
Westmeath.

GULAG vil. Assynt par. W. Sutherld. on C.
Water, which runs into L. Inver.

Culbo, near , Cromarty, W. Mackenzie, Esq.

P. CULBOLKIE, or KILBOLKY, vil. Urquhart par.
E. Ross. 3 m. E. of Dingwall-182. Pop. 107.

CULBONE, or KILNER, par. (20) Carhampton
hand. NW. Somerset. 8 m. W. of Minehead-163,
a fine spot in a steep hollow on the coast, near
Porlock bay. Acres 1560, rising 1200 ft. behind
the vil. ; pop. 34, decreasing; poor r. 211. (Willi-
ton U.); real prop. /. St. Cnlbone Rect. (Ba.
and W.) val. /., patr. Earl of Lovelace ;
church, in a cove on the cliffs 400 ft. high, near
a stream which tumbles down to the sea.

Culbowquay Light-house (1) near Hollywood,
N. Down, in Belfast lough.

CUIXIABOCH vil. Inverness par. N. Invern.
near Inverness-161. Pop. 279.

Culcava (14) near Hillsborough, NW. Down.
H. Bradford, Esq.

CBLCHETH tnshp. ( ) Winwick par. S. Lan-
cashire, 3 m. S. of Leigh-197, on Liverp. and
Manch. rail., has a poor ho. Acres 5330 ; pop.
2193, decreasing; poor r. 603/. (Leigh U.); real
prop. 8097Z. ; charities 60?., of which III. to Twiss
green school. C. Hall, T. Withington, Esq.
Igif"* CULCHKTH hmlt. Newton par. as above,
near Newton- 193, and C. Hall, R. Keymer, Esq.

Culcrench, 1 m. NW. of Fintry, Mid. Stirling.
A. G. Speirs, Esq.

P. CULDAFF par. (11-2, etc.) Innishowen bar.
NE. Donegal, 3 m. E. of Cardonagh-165, on C.
River and bay, where salmon, etc. are caught.
Acres 20,089, mountainous, with bog and lime-
stone; pop. 5883, decreasing, of vil. 133. Liv-
ing, a Rect. (Dy. R.) val. 482/., patr. Marquis of
Donegal. Fairs, 10 Feb. May, Aug. and Nov.
C. House, G. Young, Esq.

Culduthel, near , Inverness. A. Fraser, Esq.



CUL

CULECUDDEN, 10 m. WSW. of Cromarty-185,
E. Cromarty, an old par. joined to KIRKMICHAEU

Culfargie, at R. Farg's mouth, SE. Perth.
where it joins R. Erne.

CULFEIGTOWN, or CARET, par. (10, 14, etc.)
Carey bar. N. Antrim, 1 m. E. of Ballycastle-143,
near Fair head and Cushenden watering place,
where the Macdonnells defeated Mac Quellan
1569. Acres 26,337, hilly, rising 1253 ft. at
Carnlea, with coal and building stone ; pop. 4577,
decreasing. Living, a Rect. (Dn. C. D.) val. 294/.,
patr. Bishop. Churchfield, T. Casement, Esq.

CULFORD par. (51) Blackbourn hund. W. Suf-
folk, 4 m. NNW. of Bury St. Edmunds-71, on R.
Lark, belonged to Bury abbey. Acres 2490;
pop. 352+3; poor r. 1741. (Thingoe U.); real
prop. 1791/. St. Mary Rect. with Ingham. C.
Hall, seat of R. B. deBeauvoir, Esq., formerly of
Marq. Cornwallis through the Bacons who b. it
1591 ; church, has tombs of Sir Nat. Bacon and wife.

CULGAITH chplry. ( ) Kirkland par. E. Cum-
berld. 6 m. E. of Penrith-283, near R. Eden.
Pop. 361 ; poor r. 62Z. (Penr. U.) ; real prop. 24347.
All Saints Cur. (Carl.) val. 80Z., patr. Vicar.

Culgath (49) near Kilcock, S. Meath.

CULGROAT vil. Stoneykirk par. W. Wigton.
near Stoneykirk-149.

CULHAM par. (13) Dorchester hund. S. Oxford.

1 m. S. of Abingdon-56, at the bridge on R.Thames
(b. 1416 by Geof. Barbour), has an old seat
of the abbots of Abingdon, now a farm. Acres
1680 ; pop. 404 ; poor r. 144/. (Abingd. U.) ; real
prop. 3531/. ; charities 41/. St. Paul Vic. (Oxon.)
val. 100Z., patr. Bishop. ^g C. UPPER (7) 2 m.
E. of Henley-on-Thames-35, E. Berks., near C.
Court, Hon. F. West.

CULHORX vil. Inch par. W. Wigton. near Stran-
raer-151, and C. House.

Cull Isld. (51) in Ballytiege Lough, S. Wexfd.

Cui,LAHiLLvil.(35) Clarmallagh bar. S. Queen's
Co. 4 m. SW. of Durrow-65.

Culland Hall (72) 7 m. WNW. of Derby, S.
Derby.

CullancTs Grove (7) 7 m. N. of London, NE.
Middlesex, at Southgate, Sir W. Curtis, Bt.

Cullane House ( ) near Newmarket-on-Fergus,
S. Clare, R. W. Studdert, Esq.

Cullaun ( ) near Claremorris, SE. Mayo, F.
French, Esq. ggT C. Lough (17) Inchiquin bar.
N. Clare, near Cowfin Lough.

Cullaunyheeda Lough (35-6) 4 m. E. of Quin,
E. Clare.

Cullaville (30) 2 m. SW. of Crossmaglen, SW.
Armagh, H. O'Callaghan, Esq.

Cullavin Mountain (8) 15 m. E. of Limerick,
NE. Limerick, 1525 ft. high.

Culleen (11) near Lough Bunny, N. Clare.

CULLEENAI.EENA hmlt. (27) between Loughs
Mask and Corrib, N. Galway.

Culleenamore (13) 3 m. SW. of Sligo, N. SUgo.

Culk-lo, near Aberdour, 5. Fife, produces ex-
cellent sandstone for building.

* P. CULLEN par. 11 m. W. of Banff, N. Banff.
169 from Edinbro', where C. Burn falls into Moray
frith at C.Bay, is a sub-port to Banff, and royal and
pad. burgh under the Earl of Seafield (who takes
hence title of baron), made contributory to Elgin
by the Reform act, the bounds including part of
Portnockie, no. of electors 37 ; was first chartered
1455 by Bruce, whose queen Eliz. died in the old
castle, and under the new act is governed by a pro-
vost and 19 council., with a revenue of 96i Size

2 m. by 1, fertile, rising 1000 ft. at Bin Hill, a
sea-mark ; pop. 1564 (with Portnockie 2622),
some fishermen and linen weavers ; houses 365 in
one street, with church, bank, schools, bede house,



CUL

prison, bridge ; real prop. 2244/. ; for poor 3047.
Living (presb. Fordyce), val. 156/., patr. Earl Sea-
field, sole heritor, of C. House, which stands on
a rock over the burn, and has some good pic-
tures and large plantations. There is a small
harb. but no trade. At King's Cairn, K. Indul-
fus fell after beating off the Danes. Fairs, 3rd
Frid. Mav, last Tues. Sept. gif CULLEN par.
(29, 30. 38-9) Duhallow bar. NW. Cork, 4 m.
NW. of Millstreet-170, on R, Blackwater. Acres
13,674, with bog and building stone; an. val.
84787.; pop. 5490+111. Living, a Vic. with
Droumtarriffe. Rathroe, D. M'Carthy, Esq. An
old castle is here. gaT CULLEN par. (98, 112)
Kinalea bar. S. Cork, 6 m. NE. of Kinsale-174,
near the sea. Acres 4250, good; pop. 1330+8.
Living, a Rect. with Templebreadv. Glvnney,
G. Dunne, Esq. $3" Cullen (26) near Slane, E.
Meath. (if CULLEN par. (58) Clanwilliam bar.
W. Tippery. 5 m. NW. of Tipperary-112, a police
station, and once a mkt. town. Acres 1986 ;
pop. 1013, decreasing, of vil. 275. Living, a
Rect. (Ca. E. W. L.) with 3 others, val. 5587.,
patr. Bishop. Remains were found here in a
bog 1774.

CuUenagh Rivulzt (23) rises near Ennistymon,
N. Clare, and runs about 5 m. to Drumcallaun
Lough. Sif CuUenagh (142) near Skibbereen,
S if. Cork. giT Cullenagh (65) 8 m. W. of Kil-
larnej', Mid. Kerry, R. Mahony, Esq.

CCLLKNAGH BARONY (23, 25, etc.) S. Queen's
Co. contains the pars, of Ballyroan, Dysartgallen,
Kilcolmanbrack, and parts of Abbeyleix, Clone-
nagh, Fossy or Timahoe, Kilcolmanbane, and
Rosconnell ;" acres 44,095, an. vaL 29,2847., pop.
16,663, houses 2757.

CuUenagh Mountain (24) in the above bar, 4 m.
NE. of Abbeyleix, 1045 ft high. igT C. Bog,
near Maryboro', Queen's Co. is 1524 acres.

CULLENSTOWN vil. (24) Bantry bar. W. Wex-
ford, 2 m. NW. of Clonroche-87. ^" CuUens-
town (35) 4m. NW. of Taghmon, 5. Wexford.

P. CULLENSWOOD vil. ( ) Uppercross bar. 5.
Dublin, near Dublin. Pop. 546.

Culientra (16) 4 m. S. of Ballycane, N. Wex-
ford. gg- Culientra (36) near Wexford, S. Wex-
ford, on R. Slaney.

Cullentragh (22) 3 m. S. of Pointzpass, E.
Armagh. $3 C. Lough (92) 4 m. N W. of Bally-
haunis-128, SE. Mayo.

CULLENWAINE par. (44, 46-7) Clonlisk bar.
S W.King's Co. (16, 22) Ikerrin bar. NE. Tippery.
contains Moneygall-84. Acres 4755, with bog ;
pop. 2327 + 67. Living, a Rect, with Temple-
harry. Fairs, 20 A'lg. 1 1 Nov.

P. CULLEKCOATES tnshp. ( ) Tynemouth par.
SE. Northmbrld. 2 m. N. of Shields-276, a small
bathing place on the coast, where a rare regalecus
glesne, or ribbon fish, 12 ft. long, was caught 1849.
Pop. 738+ 19, fishermen, etc.

CULLIFORD-TRKE HUNDRED (17) Dorchester
div. S. Dorset, contains the pars, of Broadway
rect., Buckland-Ripers r., W. Knighton r., Os-
inington vie., Radipole cur., W. Stafford r., Whit-
combe don. c., Winterbourne-Herringstone, Wint.
Monckton r., part of Wint. Ccrne, audW. Chicke-
rell; acres 11,920, pop. 2698, houses 429. See
DOHCHESTEK DEANKUV.

CuUin Louyh (60) 2 m. W. of Foxford, Mid.
Mayo, about 3 m. long and 3 wide.

CULLINGWORTH limit. ( ) Bingley tnshp. W.
R. York, near Bingley-202. Pop. , worsted
makers. Living, a Cur. (Rip.) vaL 1307., patr.
Crown and Bishop.

CULLINGWORTII-GATE hmll. Wilsdcn tnshp.
near the above.



CUL



523



Cullion ( ") near Mullingar, Mid. Westmeath,
G. Levinge, Ksq.

P. CULLFVOE, near Lerwick, Shetld. Isldt.

CuHoden (63) 5 m. N W. of Mkt. Bosworth, W.
Leicest.

Culloden Heath, or Drummossie Moor, Croy par.
NE. Inverness. 3 m. E. of Inverness, a desolate
spot (now partly cultivated), near Moray Frith,
where Charles Stuart was finally defeated 16
May, 1746, by the Duke of Cumberland. At C.
House, seat of G. Forbes, Esq., then of the Ld.
president, the prince lodged the night before, and
left his cane. Pieces of armour, etc. are some-
times found ; and a cairn is building where the
duke stood, 100 ft. diam.

CULLODEN, SMITHTOWN OF, vil. Inverness par.
NE. Invern. near Inverness-174. Pop. 64.

P. M. CULLOMITON, f. e. CULME-TON, Or COL-

LUMPTON, par. (22) Hayridge hund. NE. Devon.
11 m. NE. of Exeter, 160 from London, on Gt.
West. rail, and R. Culme, a petty sess. and polling
place, which belonged to Alfred, and afterwards to
Buckland abbey. Acres 5790 ; pop. 3909 + 9, in
the woollen manufact. and paper mills; houses
801, some old, with 6 chapels, school, tanneries,
bank; poor r. 2163/. on 17,9227. (Tiverton U.) ;
real prop. 19,0497.; charities 2237., of which Spi-
cer's for apprenticing 947., Hill's for clothing, etc.
557. St. Andrew Vie. (Exet.) vaL 400/., patr.
R, B. De Beauvoir ; church, later eng. with vine-
leaf screen, a wall painting of St. Christopher, two
curiously carved "pieces of oak," and a florid
eng. (1528) chapel, built by Lane, a clothier,
who lies in it. Hillersdown, J. Hole, Esq. The
Black Down hounds hunt round here. Mkt. D.
Sat. Fairs, 1st Wed. May and Nov. cattle, etc.

Culloo Head (78) 3 m. N. of Bray head, W.
Kerry.

P. CULLYHANNA vil. (27) Upper Fews bar. S.
Armagh, 4 m. N. of Crossmaglen-58. Pop. 154.

P. CULI.YLACKEY vil. (32) Lower Foome bar.
N. Antrim, 3 m. NNW. of Bally mena, on R.
Maine. Pop. 238. C. House, 3. Dickey, Esq.

CULM-DA VY hmit (21) Hemyock par. 2 m.
NE. of Culmstock, as below, has a chapel.

Culme River (22) rises in the Black Down hills,
NE. Devon, and runs 25 m. past Cullompton, as
above, to the Ex near Exeter. The E. Devon
otter hounds hunt along it.

CULMINGTON par. (51, 61) Lower Munslow
hund. 5. Salop, 4 m. N. of Ludlow-143, on R.
Corve, contains Bache, Burley, and Seifton. Acres
3160; pop. 541 + 3, of town 91; poor r. 2317.
(Ludl. U.) ; real prop. 49067. ; charities 17. All
Saints Rect. (Heref.) val. 6057., patr. Rev. W.
Johnstone, rector.

P. Culmore (9) near Newtown Limavady, N.
Londondy. Gig" C. Fort (14) 4 m. N. of Lon-
donderry, N. Londondy. at R. Foyle's mouth.

CULMSTOCK. par. (21) Hemyock hund, NE.
Devon. 6 m. NE. of Cullompton-160, on R. Culme.
Acres 4530 ; pop. 1446, in the woollen mills ; poor
r. 984t (Wellington U.) ; real prop. 59447. ; cha-
rities 137. All Saints Vic. (Exet) val. 250/.,
patr. Dean and Chap. ; church, with stone screen.
Fair, 21 May, cattle.

CUI.MCLI.IN par. (43-4, 46-7) Upper Deece and
Ratoath bars. S. Meath, 3 m. E. of Summcrhill
-23. Acres 5565; pop. 1010+7, of vil. 51.
Living, a Vic. with Knockmark. C. House, A.
Dopping, Esq.

(i i.i-HO par. (50) Carlford hund. S. Suffolk,
4 m. W. of Woodbridge-77. Acres 1620; pop.
70 , poor r. 697. (Woodb. U.) ; real prop. 1004/1
St. Botolph Cur. (Norw.) val. 557., patr. Gur-
don, Vsq. C. Hull, i m. S.



524



CDL



CUM



CCLREACH vil. (16) Inch par. NW. Wigton.
near Stranraer-151. gip CULREACH vil. (34)
Whitehorn par. SE. Wigton. 3 m. S. of White-
horn- 144.

* P. 21. CULROSS, or COOROSS, par. on Frith of
Forth, SE. Perth. 4m. SE. of Clackmannan-32,
ncliuling Blairburn (theDundases' seat), Lowval-
leyfield (Sir R. Preston, Bt.), is a decayed royal
and parl. burgh, made contributory to Stirling (25
electors), by Jas. VI., who chartered it 1588, when
it had a flourishing trade, and under the new act
is governed by a magistrate and 19 council., with
a revenue of oil Size 4 m. by 4, or 10,000 acres,
part fertile and moorland, with building and
ironstone, potters' clay, and coal ; pop. 1444, de-
creasing, of burgh" 603, with no trade, but
was noted for making kitchen ' girdles ; ' houses
{burgh ) 125, on a hill facing the sea, with prison,
par. and Geddes' schools ; real prop. 58577. ; for
poor 3527. Living, a collegiate charge (presb.
Dunferml.) val. 157Z. for 1st minister, 1167. for
2nd, pairs. Ladies Keith and Baird ; church, has
effigies, etc. of the Bruces, of Kinloss (who found,
almshouses here), and was part of the cistertian
abbey found. 1217 (on site of St. Serfs hermitage)
by Malcolm, thane of Fife, and given to Colvill
of C., a title borne by Adml. Lord Colville.
Near it are the old church and St. Mungo's
chapel ; at Dunnemarle, ruins of the castle where
Lady Macduff and her sons were murdered by
Macbeth; and at Gibscroft two camps where
Banquo, llth cent., fought with the Danes. C.
Abbey, seat of Earl Dundonald,who first made coal
tar here, was built by Sir W. Bruce, and has been
since restored. The salt pans and coal pits, which
went under the sea, and Jas. VI. visited, are not
worked. From cul, back, and TOSS, a peninsula.

CULSALMOND par. Garioch dist. Mid. Aberdeen.
10 m. NW. of Old Meldrum-128, on R. Urie. Size
3^ m. by 3, flat and fertile, with good slate at
Corsdowhill; pop. 1104, decreasing; real prop.
46107.; for poor 867. Living (presb. Garioch)
val. 166/., patr. Sir J. Forbes, Bt. Freefield, Gen.
Sir A. Leitb, K. C. B. ; Newton, M'Intosh ( ?).

Culsh, near , NE. Aberdeen. A. Fordyce, Esq.

CULTER par. Upper Ward, SE. Lanark. 2 m.
SW. of Biggar-28, on C. Water (a branch of R.
Clyde), includes part of Kilbucho, q. s. Size 8 m.
by 4, low and fertile by the river, where much
flax is grown, with hilly pasture (rising 1700ft.
at C. Fell), also ironstone and mineral springs;
pop. 536 + 4, of vil. 197; real prop. 52307.; for
poor 1137. Living (presb. Biggar) val. 2177.,
patrs. Baillie of Lamington and Dickson of Kil-
bucho. Four picts' houses or rings are seen, and
a barrow. C alter oiler's House, R. G. Baillie, Esq.

Cutter, or Leuchar, River, rises in L. Skene, S.
Aberdeen, and runs 5 m. SE. to R. Dee below
Peterculter, near C. House, Duff, Esq. ( ?) turn-
ing a paper and saw mills.

Colter's Corner (7) 3 m. E. of Staines, SW.
Middlesex.

CULT/HOUSE vil. Whitburn par. S. Linlithgow.
near Whitburn-20.

Cultibar ( ) near Coolaney par. Mid. Sligo, H.
W. Featherston, Esq.

Cultoquhey, 3 m. NW. of Crieff, Mid. Perth.
Maxton, Esq., is well wooded.

Cultra (1) near Belfast Lough, N. Down. II.
Kennedy, Esq.

Cidtragh Lough (26) 2 m. SW. of Stradone,
Mid. Cavan.

Cultropcar (44) near Dunshaughlin, S. Meaih.

CULTS par. Cupar dist. Mid. Fife, in the Howe,
S m. SSW. of Cupar-32, on the Eden, and so
called from 'Quilques,' a corner, includes Pits-



lessie, C. MILLS vil. (pop. 46) and 3 other hmlts.
Size 2 m. by Ik, or 2600 acres, good soil, with
stone, coal, lime ; pop. 886, decreasing ; real prop.
3208/. ; for poor 111/. Living (presb. Cupar) val.
1 627., patr. St. Andrew Coll., once held by the
father of Wilkie, who was born here (1785-1841).
Traces of a roman camp at Walton Hill. Crauford
Priory, Lady M. Crawford.

CULVENNAN viL (12) Kirkcowan par. N. Wig-
ton. 9 m. NE. of Glenluce-141, near C. Hill,
Gordon, Esq.

Culver Cliffs (10) E. end of I. of Wight, S.
Hants, about 400 ft. high, with a fine sea view,
hail a breed of hawks in Elizabeth's time, and an
eagle's nest was taken as late as 1780, by a ga-
therer of samphire which is found here, but at
present it abounds only with sea-gulls. Lignite
is found under it. From culvre, saxon for pigeon.

Culver House (22) 5 m. WSW. of Exeter, Mid.
Devon, gg" C. House (22} near Chudleigh, S.
Devon. J. Seppings, Esq. (?) i^ C. Lodge (47)
near Gt. Hadham, E. Herts. Mrs. Pitcairne.

Culverden House (6) near Tunbridge Wells,
SW. Kent, H. Busk, Esq.

CULVERLANDS tythg. (8) Farnham par. 5" W.
Surrey, 3 m. SE. of Farnham -38. Pop. with Til-
ford 509 + 6.

CULVERLEY ext. par. (11) Dibden lib. S. Hants.
5 m. SW. of Southampton-74. Pop. 46.

Culvers (8) near Carshalton, W. Surrey, S. Gur-
ney, Esq.

CULVERSTONE-GREEN hmlt. (6) Meopham and
Ash pars. NW. Kent, 4 m. S. of Gravesend-22.

CULVERTHORPE chplrv. (70) Haydon par. S.
Lincoln. 4 m. SW. of Sleaford-115. Acres 860 ;
pop. 139 + 3 ; poor r. 317. (Sleaf. U.); real prop.
10647. St. Bartholomew Cur. with Haydon. C.
Hall, H. Handley, Esq.

P. CULWORTH par. (53) King's Sutton hund.
S W. Norihmptn. 7 m. N. of Brackley-63. Acres
2060; pop. 713 + 11; poor r. 3367. "(Brack. U.);
real prop. 47357. ; charities 1227., of which 777. to
Danver's school. St. Mary Rect. and Vic. (Pet.)
val. 5287., patr. S. Spence/Esq. C. House, Capt.
Rye, R. N.

Culzean Castle, at Kirkoswald, W. Ayr., Marq.
of Ailsa, built 1777, by Earl Cassilis, on a rock
100 ft. high, after designs by Adam, with a fine
prospect ; it has an armoury, and near it are C.
Coves, a fairies' haunt.

CUMBER, LOWER, par. (14-5, 22-3) Tirkeeran

j bar. W. Londondy. 5 m. E. of Londonderry-143,

; on R. Burntallaght and other streams, belonging

| mostly to the Irish Society, was_ separated from

I UPPER C. in 1794. Acres 14,782, hilly; pop.

4510, decreasing, some weavers. Living, a Rect.

(Dy. R.) val. 5277., patr. Bishop. Oaks, seat of

A. "Lyle, Esq. Druidical remains are visible.

l^ C., UPPER, par. (22-3, 28-9) Tirkeeran bar.

W. Londdy. 9 m. SE. of Londonderry-143, and

(6, 7) Strabane bar. N. Tyrone. Acres 26,329,

hilly, rising 2236 ft. at Sawel in the Sperrin range ;

pop. 7052, decreasing, some weavers. Living, a

Preiend.and.Rtf.(Dy.R.)val. 1198i,patr. Bishop.

Learmount, J. Beresford, Esq. ; C. House, T. R.

Browne, Esq.

Cumberhead Hill, near Lesmahago, W. Lanark.
has lead in it, with iron ore, spars, ha;matite,
pitchstone, etc,

CUMBERLAND ( ) a sea-side, lake, and bonier
county, N. England, between R. Dudden and Sol-
way Frith, was one of the last seats of the old
british Cymri, Cumri, or Cumhri, with the local
name of Voluntii (forest people) or Brigantes (hill
people), in Maxima Gesariensis ot'the Romans, who
overran it under Hadrian and Sevems (builders



CUM

of the two boundary walls), was part of the
saxon Northumbria^ and bestowed by Edmd. I. on
Malcolm K. of Scots, but bv the Conqueror granted
to Ranulph and Will, de Meschines by the tenure
of border service, and finally annexed to Engld.
by Hen. III., is traversed by part of the roman
walls (as above), the Rs. Eden, Irthing, Caldew,
Derwent, etc., the Lane, and Carl, and Newcast,
rails., and bordered by Solway Frith and Dum-
fries, on N., Roxburgh, on NE. (separated at the
Rs. Liddel and Esk, N. of which was the strip of
' Debatable Land '), R. Irthing and Northmbrld. on
NE., Durham on E. (at Alston moor), Westmrld. on
S. (at R. Eamont and Ulleswater), Lancash. on S.
(at R. Dudden), and Irish Sea ( W .). Length, from
Ravenglass, NE., to Spadeadam Waste, 64 m.,
greatest breadth 35, av. do. 22 ; relative size 263-
10,000ths ; circuit about 215 m., 75 being coast,
along which are Moricambe bay and Bowness
(where the Wall ends) in Solway Frith, Allonby
watering place, Maryport. Workington, White-
haven, St. Bee's hd. and light, Ravenglass, and R.
Dudden. It contains 1523 sq. m. or 974,720 acres
(969,490 by addition of pars.), of which about
300,000 ( ?) are mountain and lake ; 178,038 + 835
persons, of whom 35,000 are in Carlisle,Whitehaven,
Penrith, Maryport,Cockermouth,Wigton, 91,746
are females, 82,149 under 20 years of age, 153,770
natives of co., 26,053, or 14'6 per cent., live by
trade, commerce, manufact., 15,611 or 8-8 percent,
by agricult. (5254 being farmers and graziers),
1700 are educated professions, 6597 independent,
27,230 labourers and servants, besides others ;
5 wards in 2 divisions, E. Div. containing Esk-
dale (N.), Cumberland (Mid.), Leath (E.),
W. Div. containing Allerdale-above-Derwent
(Mid.), Allerdale-below-D. (S.); 106 parishes
(St. Bee's the largest 73,620 ac.), besides 5
ext. par. places ; above 340 vils. hmlts. etc. ; 18
market towns, Carlisle city (e.), the county, assize,
and (caster and midsummer) sessions town, and
scat of a bishopric, Cockermouth (epiphany sess.),
1'enrith (michaelmas sess.), Whitehaven, Wig-



CUM



525



ton (e.), Alston (e.), Bootle (w.), Brampton (e.X
Longtown (e.), Aspatria (to.), Egrempnt (w.),
Hesket-Newmarket (e.), Irby(?), Keswick (M>.),



Kirk-Oswald (e.), Maryport, Ravenglass, Work-
ington, the first six with Keswick being new-
county courts, the first nine, poor law unions
and sup. registries ; returns nine members (in-
stead of 6 as formerly) to parl., viz. 2 for E.
Div. (pop. 95,445, elect. 5107), with Carlisle
for election town, and those above marked (e.),
with Dalston and Penrith, for polling places,
2 for W. Div. (pop. 82,378, elect. 3993), with
Cockermo' for elect, town, and the same, with
those marked (ir.) for polling places, 2
each for Carlisle and Cockermo' (el. 1067 and
339), 1 for Whitehaven (el. 546) ; is governed
by a lord lieu!., high sheriff, 12 deputy lieuts.
about 85 magistrates; is in the N. circuit, and
chiefly in the archdy. and dioc. of Carlisle, pro-
vince" of York. Real prop. (1815) 737,8487.,
('43) 910,3347., of which 47,827/. on mines, 18177.
on quarries, 33027. on iron works ; ditto rentals,
505,32 17. or 10s. 4d. per acre (when wheat was 77s.),
and 603,7257. or 12s. 4%d. per acre (wheat 55s.).



Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 146 of 293)