Dodner's, or Dodnash, Priory (48) 2 m. N. of
Manningtree, S. Suffolk, a small black prioiy,
found, it is said by the ancestor of Duke of Nor-
folk, and given to Wolsey.
DOD3LEV hmlt. (72) Leigh par. N. Stafford.
5 m. WNW. of Uttoxeter-135.
DODWELL hmlt.(54) Old Stratford par.S. War-
wick. 2 m. WSW. of Stratford-on-Avon-96, is
joined to LUDDINGTON.
DODWORTH tnshp. (88) Silkstone par. W. R.
York. 2 m. WSW. of Barnesley-172. Acres 1540 ;
pop. 1474 + 30, the linen trade, etc. ; poor r. 4027. ;
real prop. 51 14/., of which 1050/. on mines. Liv-
ing, a Cur. (Rip.) val. 7., patr. Vicar.
Doe Park ( ) near , Lancash. J. Roskell, Esq.
l^ D. Park Hall ( ) near , 2V. R. York. W.
Doecastle (26) 4 m. SE. of Dunfanaghy, N.
Donegal, Hart, Esq.
Daemon's Land (6) 3 m. NNE. of E. Grinstead,
Dog Isld. ( ) 8 m. NW. of Clifden, NW. Gal-
way, near Dog's Head.
Dogbury Hill ( ) near , Dorset., a meet for
Mr. Farquharson's hounds.
DOGBY LANE hmlt. (88 Kirk-Burton tnshp.
W. R. York. 4 m. SE. of Huddersfield-189.
DOGDYKE tnshp. (70) Billinghay par. Mid.
Lincoln. 4 m. SW. of Tattershall-128. Acres 850 ;
pop. 217; real prop. 2241*.
Dogger Bank, a great flat sand, stretching
across '5-8ths of the N. Sea, from lat. 54 and
55, long. 1J E. to 6i, being about 40 m. broad
and 320 long, chiefly of fine sand mixed with
oaze, in 7 to 30 lath, but generally 15 to 20. To
the N. on Fishers' Bank, cod are caught in great
numbers ; and a battle between English and
Dutch was fought 1781.
DOGMELUS, ST., or LLANDYDOCH, par. (58)
Kemess hund. NE. Pembroke. 1 m. SW. of Car-
digan-239, on R. Teifi, containing Bridge-End,
Cippen, and Pantygroes, has Cardigan Union p.
house, also, at Abbey barn, the remains of an
abbey found, by Martin de Tours (val. 877.) ; and
was a seat of the Welsh princes, where Rhys-ap-
Tewdwr defeated the sons of Codifor-ab-Coflwyw.
Pop. 2478 + 3, of vil. 818, fishermen, etc. ; poor r.
8137. (Cardigan U.) ; real prop. 52247. St. Thomas
Vic. (St. Da.) val. with Llantyd and Monington
1437., patr. Ld. Chancellor; church, has tomb of
liradshaw, to whom Hen. VIII. gave the abbey.
DOGMERSFIELD par. (8, 12) Mid. Odiham hund.
NE. Hants. 1 m. NE. of Odiham-40, on Basing-
stoke canal, was a seat of the Archbps. of Can-
terbury. Acres 1 650 ; pop. 305 + 3 ; poor r. 2057.
(Hartley Wintley U.); real prop. 19287. ; cha-
rities, \\ acres of poor's land. All Saints Rect.
(Win.) val. 3317., patr. Sir H. B. P. Mildmay, Bt.,
of D. Park, where are 12 views by Canaletti,
Holbein's ' Erasmus,' Lely's ' Prince Rupert,' with
several foreign masters ; and a lake of 44 acres.
DOGXOT, tythg. (15) Donhead St. Mary par.
S W. Wilts. 4 m. S. of Hindon-94. Real prop.
DOGS, ISLE OF (1) Stepney par. SE. Midlsx.
5 m. ESE. of St. Paul's, a marsh 7 ft. below high
water mark, belonging to Marq. of Westminster,
and formed by a bend of R. Thames opposite
Greenwich (to which is a ferry), between Lime-
house and Blackwall reaches, which are joined by
the ship canal. Extent 9 furlongs by 6, or about
840 acres (by estimation, but more correctly 600
acres), of rich grazing land. At Mill Wall are
Seaward's steam factory, also the iron cable and
iron ship factories, chemical works ; and Pitcher's
ship-yard on the E. side. Chapel Ho. farm, marks
the site of a chapel built before 15th century ;
and earthy phosphate of iron has been found.
DOGSTHOUPE hmlt. (64) St. John Baptist par.
NE. Northmptn. 2 m. N. of Peterboro'-81. Acres
2130; pop. 514 + 7; real prop. 35637.
DOGSTOWN par. (68) Middlethird bar. S. Tip-
pery. 4 m. S. of Cashel-100. Acres 406 ; pop. 69,
decreasing. Living, a Rect. with Knockgrafton.
DOGWELLS, ST., par. (40) Dewisland hund.
Mid. Pembroke. 7 m. N. of Haverford-West-251,
belongs to St. David's cathedral. Pop. 461, some
slate quarriers ; poor r. 1087. (Haverfd. U.) ; real
prop. 20987. ; charities, Edwardes' 87. St. Dogvael
^'^.(St. Da.)val. 717., patr. Bishop, Dean and Chap.
Sealey House, seat of W. Tucker, Esq., through
the Edwardes fain, of Trefgarn, now a farm.
Castle Coning, and several druid stones are about.
Doine Loch, at Balquhidder, SW. Perth, on
DOL-AC-ABERAIAVEN tnshp. (74) Corwen par.
NE. Merioneth, near Corwen-194. Pop. 242;
real prop. 14487. From dol, a dale or meadow.
Dolarddyn Hall (60) 4 m. E. of Llanfair, E.
Dolaugwyn (59) 2 m. NE. of Towyn, S. Merion.
an old seat.
Dolbadern Castle (78) 7m. ESE. of Carnarvon,
Mid. Carnarvon, on Llanberris lake, near the slate
quarry, a british fortress and the key to Snow-
don, was the prison of Owen Goch, and afterwards
occupied both by O. Glyndwr and the English.
The keep 75 ft. high remains, and has a fine view.
Near this are Caer Cwm-y-G16 camp, and Ceu-
nant fall of 60 ft.
DOL-BEN-MAEN par. (75) Evionydd hund.
S. Carnarvon. 4 m. N. of Criccieth-226, has cop-
per and manganese ore, and had an old fort.
Pop. 401 + 5 ; poor r. 1497. (Festiniog U.) ; real
prop. 10637. ; charities 57. St. Beuno Cur. with
Penmorva; church, b. 1426. Fair, 26 Aug.
DOLBRYN hmlt. (41) Kenarth par. NW. Car-
marthen, near Newcastle Emlyn-229. Pop. 455.
Dolbury Camp (21) at Butterleigh, 2 m. SE. of
Tiverton, E. Devon. gl D. Camp (19) british
and double ditch'd, of about 30 acres, on the top
of Mendip, N. Somerset.
Dolcoath Mine ( ) near Camborne-266, SW.
Cornwall, 170fath. deep, yields copper, tin, cobalt,
bismuth, vitreous silver, with quartz, etc., in the
chlorite and killas.
Dol-dderwen (56) 6 m. W. of Builth, N.Brecon.
DOLDREAVYN tnshp. (74) Llandderfel par. NE.
Merioneth. 4 m. NE. of Bala-194. Pop. 93; real
Dole Cothi (41) 7 m. NW. of Llandovery, NE.
Carmartlien. on R. Cothi, J. Johnes, Esq.
DOLEBANK hmlt. ( ) Bishop Thornton chplry.
W. R. York, near Ripon.
Dolerw (60) near Newton, SE. Montgomery.
Dolfor Hall (60) 2 m. S. of Newton, SE. Mant-
Dnlforgan Hall (GO) 2 m
ESE. of Newton,
DOLFORWYN" tnshp. (60) Bettws par. SE.
Montgomery. 3 in. NE. of Newton-175, on K.
Severn, has, near Pen-y-Gaer camp, remains of
a castle b. 1065-73 by Bleddyn ab Cynfyn, and
granted to the Mortimers. Pop. 234. The story
of the princess Hafren, which gives the name
Meadows of the Maiden,' is alluded to in Milton's
Conuis " Sabrina is her name, a virgin pure."
DOLGADFAX tnshp. (60) Llanbynmair par. W.
Montgomery. 9 m. E. of Machynlleth-205. Pop.
237 ; real prop. 9057.
Dolgan (60) 6 m. N W. of Llanidloes, S W. Mtgy.
DOLGANNED tnshp. (79) Abergele par. N IV.
Denbigli. near Abergele-214. Pop. 87.
DOLOEAD tnshp. (178) Llanfair-Caereinion par.
Mid. Montgomery, near Llanfair-178. Pop. 23.
P. M. DOLGELLY par. (59) Talybout hund.
Mid. Merioneth. 16 m. SW. of Bala, 208 from
London, on Sarn Helen roman way and R.Wnion
a branch of R. Maw, in a fine valley "Grove dale,"
under Cader Idris (-which is ascended from here),
is an assize and sess. town containing Brithdir
Isaf and Uwchaf, Cefnyr-Owen, Dolgledr, Dyf-
fr}-clan, and Garthgynfawr. Size 16 m. by 3,
chiefly mountain pasture ; pop. 3695, of town
2016," in the manufact. of flannels, webs, etc. ;
houses 515, with church, 4 chapels, 3 banks, sav-
ings bk. (23,2907. from 713 depositors), county
and town halls, mkt. house, co. gaol and house
of correction, 7-arched bridge, Dr. Ellis's free
gram, school 447. ; poor r. 15557. on 10,0597. ;
real prop. 3960/. ; charities 737. St. Mary liect.
(Ban.) val. 440/., patr. Crown ; church, has tombs
of Ch. baron Richards a native, and of Meiric ab
Vychan of Nannau, now seat of Sir R.W.Vaughan,
Bt. (of which fam. was Vaughan the antiquary)
where was an oak 27 ft. girth ; near it is
Moel Orthrwm british camp, and Cj-mrner abbey.
At Cwrt Plas, near the ' Ship inn,' Owen Glyndwr
held a parliament or council 1404. Fuller, in his
' Worthies,' gives this account of Dolgelly : " 1.
The walls," he says, " are 3 m. high," meaning
the mountains. "" 2. Men go into it over the
water," a bridge ; " but go out under the water,"
a trough across the road. " 3. The steeple thereof
doth grow therein," the bells hung on a tree.
" 4. There are more alehouses than houses," at
fair time, when they were divided off for the
sale of Cwrw dda. Coins of Trajan have been
found at Fynnon Vawr ; and it is the head qrs.
of co. militia, Dolg. P. L. Union, contains the
pars. etc. of Dolgeliy, Llanaber, Llanddwywe-is-
Graig, Llanddwywe-moch-Graig, Llanegryn, Lla-
nelltyd, Uanenddwyn, Llanfachreth, Llanfihan-
fel-y-Pennant, Llangelynin, Llanymowddwy,
lallwyd, Talyllyn, in Merioneth.; pop. 13,208,
cases relieved (1846-7) 2141 (all out-door), ex-
pend. 59747., prop, rated 40,1887. Sup. Registry
comprises the same ; pop. 13,211 +30. The New
County Court district corresponds with the Re-
gistry. Mkt. D. Tuesd. Sat. Fairs, 20 Feb. 21
Apr. 11 May, 27 June, 13 Aug. 20 Sept. 9 Oct.
22 Nov. 16 Dec. cattle, horses, cheese, etc.
DOLGLEDR tnshp. (59) Dolgelly par. as above.
Pop. 294 ; real prop. 15407.
Dolguog (59) near Maehynlleth. S. Merion. be-
longed to Llywarch Hen, the bard.
DOL-GWDEN tnshp. (60) Tref-Eglwys par.
S. Montgomery. 4 m. N. of Llanidloes- 188, in a
vale near R. Clywedog.
DOLGWYN-FELYN hmlt. (60) Dwyriew tnshp.
E. Montgomery. 3 m. S. of LIanfair-17"8. Pop. 118.
DOLL vil. (59) Maehynlleth par. W. Mont-
gomery, near Machynlleth-205.
par. (27, 33, 39) Upper Ormond bar.
W. Tipper;/. 8 m. S. of Nenagh-95, on the An-
glesea road. Acres 7354, with bog; pep. 1529
+ 48. Living, an appropriate Rect. to Killaloe as
P. DOLLAR par. 4 m. NNE. of Clackmannan-32,
N. Clackmnn. on a plain under the Ochills, and
R. Devon, has the fine ruins of Castle Campbell,
burnt by Montrose 1645, and an excellent school
found. 1819, by M'Nab, a native, with 12 masters,
for teaching languages, the arts, etc. Size 3 m. by
li, fertile, with coal, stone, iron, lead, and rising
above 1000 ft. at King's Seat and White Wisp
hills; pop. 1562 + 12, of vil. 1131, spinners and
bleachers, etc. ; houses 262 ; real prop. 44677. ;
for poor 2467. Living (presb. Stirlg.), val. 1597.,
patr. Tait of Harviestown. Dollarfield, R. Haig,
Esq. Fairs, 2nd Mon. May, 3rd Th. June, 2nd
Mon. Aug. 3rd Mon. Oct.
Dollar Farm (46) 1 in. W. of Luton, S. Beds.
DOLLARBURN hmlt. Manor par. Mid. Peebles.
5 m. NE. of Tweedsmuir-36, near Dollarlaw
Mountn. 2840 ft. high.
Dollinstown (49) near Kilcock, 5. Meath, A.
W. Gladstanes, Esq.
Dollis (7) h m. NW. of Finchley, N. Middlsx.
Dollis Hill (7) 2 m. W. of Hampstead, Mid.
DOLLYMOCNT vil.(19) Codock bar. SE. Dubln.
3 m. E. of Dublin near Clontarf. Pop. 190.
Dolly's Brae (49) near Tollymore Park, S.
Dollywaggon Pike or Fell ( ) near Helvellyn,
Dolobran ( ) near , Wartvick. C. Llovd, Esq.
Dolphin Bank, i m. long, 2 m. W. of the Keedles,
S. Hants, near the Shingles, with only 14 ft. water
at one point.
DOLPHINGSTON vil. Prestonpans par. W. Had-
dington, 1 m. W. of Tranent-19, near an old
castle. Pop. 63.
DOLPHINHOLME ( ) Cockerham par. N.
Lancash. 6 m. S. of Lancaster-240. Living, a
Cur. (Manch.) val. 1., patr. R. Garnett, Esq.
DOLPHINSBARN vil. (18) Dublin bar. S. Dublin,
a small suburb of Dublin, on Gd. canal.
P. DOLPHINTON par. Upper Ward, SE. La-
nark. 5m.NE.of Biggar-28, was the seat of Dolfin,
brother to 1st Earl Cospatrick. Size 3 m. by 4,
or 2926 acres, moory ; pop. 305 ; real prop. 198~87. ;
for poor 257. Living (presb. Biggar) val. 1587.,
patr. Lord Douglas, who has the barony. Prin-
cipal Leechman was a native. There is a camp
at Kiphill, and another. |gp DOLPHINTON, or
DOLPHISTON, vil. Oxr.am par. Mid. Roxburgh.
4 m. SSE. of Jedburgh-46, on R. Jed.
Dolserey (59) 2 m. NE. of Dolgelly, Mid.
DOLTOX par. (26) N. Tawton hund. N. Devon.
6 m. SE. of Torrington-194, near R. Torridge,
includes Stafford-Barton. Acres 2180 ; pop. 922
+ 5 ; poor r. 2807. (Torring. U.) ; real prop. 31917. ;
charities 67. St. Edmund Rect. (Exet) val. 3057.,
patr. Rev. P. Johnson.
DOLWAR tnshp. (60) Llanfihangel par. ,_N.
Montgomery. 5 m. SW. of
DOLWEN tnshp. (74) Llansaintfraid par. NE.
Montgomery. 4 m. ENE. of Llanfyllin-179. Pop.
DOLWYDDELAN par. (75) Nant Conway hund.
E. Carnarvon. 6 m. SSW. of Llanrwst-217, under
Moel Siabod, on R. Ledan, has two towers, etc,
of the old castle built by the N. Wales princes,
where Llewelyn was born, and which came to
the Berkenets, Meredith ap Evan (who b. Pen-
amnaen Ho.), and the G Wynnes. Pop. 75
poor r. 235Z. (Llanwr. U.) ; real prop. 1340/. ;
charities 4L St. Gwyrelau Cur. (Ban.) val. 107/.,
patr. Lord Willoughby d'Eresby of Gwydir.
Fairs, 16 April, 15 Aug. 20 Sept.
Dol-y-carreg (41) 3 m. NE. of Llangadog, E.
Carmrthn. on R. Towy.
Dol-y-eefnan (60) 1 m. S. of Llanfair, E.Mont-
Dol-y-corsllwyn (60) 4 m. S. of Dinas-Mowd-
dwy, NIV. Montgomery.
Dol-y-Felin (56) near Knighton, E. Radnor.
Dol-y-fonddu (60) 5 m. S. of Dinas-Mowddwy,
Dol-y-gamed (59) 4 m. NE. of Dolgelly, Mid.
DOL-Y-GARROG tnshp. (78) Llanbedr-y-Cennin
par. NE. Carnarvon. 7 m. S. of Conway-223, a
pretty spot on R. Conway, containing Ardda. Pop.
144; "poor r.'52/. (Conw. U.).
Dol-y-melynUyn (75) 4 m. N. of Dolgelly, Mid.
Merioneth. \V. Haddocks, Esq., has the Rhiadr du,
or black fall of 60 ft. into R. Mawddoch.
DO.MGAY tnshp. (60) Llandysilio par. NE.
Montgomery. 1 m. E. of Llanfyllin-179. Pop. 215.
DOJIINICK, ST., par. (25) Middle East hund.
E. Cornwall, 9 m. ENE. of Liskeard-221, near
R. Tamar, contains Halton, where speaker Rous,
the friend of Cromwell, was born. Acres 2680,
(or 2778) ; pop. 825 + 10 ; poor r. 426/. (Lisk. U.) ;
real prop. 3845A Living, a Rect. (Exet.) val.
318Z., patr. Rev. Y. L. Bazeley, rector.
Domuc of the Saxons, is DUNWICH, Suffolk.
Don Loch, in Mull, W. Argyll, at the Oban
ferry. Hj3T D. River, rises near Beu Aven, Mid,
Aberdeen. 5 m. above Corgarflf, and runs 70 m.
E. past Inverury (where R. Urie joins, and
whence a canal goes near it to Aberdeen), Alford,
and under 'Balgownie brig,' to the sea below
Old Aberdeen, to which it is navigable. The
floods do great injury but are useful, according
to the rhyme "A rood o' Don's worth twa o'
Dee, Unless it be for fish or tree." It has salmon
fisheries; and iron and manganese are found.
Igp D. River (81-2, 87-8) rises in the moors, 6 m.
SW. of Peniston, W. R. York, and runs about
50 m. SE. and NE. past Sheffield, Rotherham,
Conisborough, Doncaster, and Thome, to R. Aire
at Goole near Snaith.
P. DOSABATE par. (8, 12) Nethercross bar.
N. Dublin, 3 m. NE. of Swords-8, on Drogheda
rail. Acres 2715, with limestone and porphyry;
pop. 479 + 11, ofvil. 178, decreasing. Living, a
Vic. (D. G. K.) with Portraine, val. 83/., patr.
Bishop, sometime held by Pilkington, author
of " Dictionary of Painters," in the time of Abp.
Cobbe, who, 1730, b. Newbridge, now seat of C.
Cobbe, Esq., where is a collection made by Pil-
kington. Turrey, seat of Ld. Trimlestown, for-
merly of the Barnewells his ancestors, who are
buried in the old church.
DONACARNEY vil. (21) Lower Dnleek bar.
C. Meath, 3 m. E. of Drogheda-28. Pop. 129.
DONACAVEY par. (50-1, etc.) Clogher and
Omagh bars. S. Tyrone, containing Fintona-107,
was granted to the Willoughbys, and forms the
manor of Castlemaine. Acres 23,052, with lime-
stone, bog, and mountain; pop. 11,229, decreas-
ing, some linen weavers. Living, a Rect. (Arm.
C.), val. 828/., patr. Bishop. Derrebard, S. Vesey,
Esq. ; church, b. about 1650.
P. DONADEA par. (9, 10) Ikeathv and Ongh-
teranny bar. N. Kildare, 3 m. NW. of Clane-22, in
the bog of Allen. Acres 2110, with limestone;
pop. 376, decreasing. Living, a Rect. (Du. G. K.)
with Balrahan, val. 210/., patr. Crown and Sir
G. G. Aylmcr, Bt. of D. Castle, which was be-
sieged in 1691 by James's party.
DOXAGH par. (10, 11, 20, 30) Innishowen
. bar. N. Donegal, containing Cardonagh-lC5, at the
top of Trabregha bay, had an abbey found. 412
by St. Patrick. Acres 25,259, mountain and bog,
rising 2019 ft. at Slieve Snaglit, with silver ore,
slate, and limestone ; pop. 5447 + 9. Living, a
I Rect. (Dy. R.) val. 38G/., patr. Marquis of Donegal.
Remains of crosses, and memorials of the patron
saint are seen, l^g" DOXAGH par. (3, 4, 6, 7, 9)
Trough bar. N. Monayhan, 6 m. N. of Monaghan
-76, on R. Blackwater, contains Emyvale and
Glasslough. Acres 16,202, with lake, bog, marble,
and building stone ; pop. 10,246, decreasing.
Living, a Vic. (Ann. C.) val. 206/., patr. Bishop.
Anketell Grove, M. J. Anketell, Esq., whose an-
cestor fell 1688 in defeating a large body of Irish
at Drumbanagher rath ; Glasslough, C. P. Leslie,
Esq. Many coins, etc. have been found.
Donagh House (34) 3 m. SE. of Lisnaskea, SE.
Fermanagh, F. Skelton, Esq.
P. DONAGHADKE par. (3, etc.) Ards bar. N.
Down. 4 m. NE. of Newtownards, 118 from Dublin,
a police, petty sessions, chief coast-gd. and mail
packet station, 20 m. from Portpatrick, Scotland.
Acres 9593, with clay, slate, etc. ; pop. 8557 + 93,
of town 3151 + 17, in the export cattle and muslin
embroidery trades, and flax mills ; houses 635,
with 4 chapels, court-house, school, hospital,
magazine on site of a rath. Living, a Rect.
(Dn. C. D.) val. 220/., patr. Archbp. D. House,
D. Delacherois, Esq., who owns the town, which
belonged to Black Abbey ; Carrowdore Cast.,
N. D. Crommelin, Esq. ; Wooburn Ho., G. Dunbar,
Esq. The small natural harbour, a sub-port to
Belfast, has been enlarged to about 200 yds.
square, with 16 ft. water, and is defended by two
piers, having a fixed light in lat. 54 3"9' N.,
long. 5 32' W., put up 1836, red to seaward,
56 ft. high, and seen 12 miles. Off it lies the
Grosvenor rock, and 3 m. NE. is Copeland light.
Fairs, 13 June, 16 Aug. 10 Oct. 2nd Sat. in Dec.
P. DOXAGHCLONEY par. (19, 20, 27) Lower
Iveagh bar. W. Down. 3 m. SW. of Moira-90.
Acres 6697, fertile, with bog ; pop. 6373 + 72, in
the linen manufact. Living, a Rect. (Dn. C. D.)
val. 185/., patr. Bishop. Waringstown House,
Rev. H. Waring, b. 1667, and occupied by Schom-
berg after driving out James II.'s party.
DOXAGHCUMPKU par. (11, 15) S." Salt and
N. Salt bars. NE. Kildare, containing Celbridge
-14, near Newbridge (b. 1308) on R. LifFey, has
remains of St. Wolstan's priory found. 1202 by
Adam de Hereford, and granted to the Alens.
Acres 2351 ; pop. 1198. Living, two half Reels.,
one united to Cellridge, the other to Clondalkin.
D. House, W. Kirkpatrick, Esq. ; St. Wolstan's,
R. Cane, Esq.
DONAGHEDY par. (1-3, 5-7, 11) Strabane bar.
N. Tyrone, 5 m. NE. of Strabane-129, was granted
by James I. to the Drummonds, who b. a bawn
or castle here. Acres 39,398, with limestone and
clay slate ; pop. 10,608 + 12, many linen weavers.
Living, a Rect. (Dy. R.) val. 1563/., patr. Mar-
quis of Abercorn, who is part owner, and takes
title of Baron Mountcastle from an old seat here
(in ruins), first conferred on "Capt. Hamilton,"
6th earl, who commanded at the siege of Deny.
DONAGHENRY par. (38-9, 46-7) Dungannon
bar. E. Tyrone, contains Stewartstown-104, near
Lough Neagh, has ruins of Ld. Deputy Sydney's
castle. Acres 7154, with lake, lime and building
stone, coal, basalt, etc. ; pop. 5693 + 31, many linen
weavers. Living, a Rect. (Arm. C.) val. 473/.,
patr. Sir J. Staples, Bt., and Col. Caulfield.
J). House, Rev. F. Gore ; Ankctell Lodge, R. C.
Anketell, Esq. A cromlech, fort, and other remains
DONAGHMORE par. (130) Ibane and Barrvroc
bars. S. Cork, 4 m. SE. of Clonakilty-88, on that
bay, has remains of a fort. Acres 312, with slate ;
pop. 458 + 9. Living, a Red. (Ck. R. C.) val. 34/.,
patr. Bishop. gaT DOXAGHMORK, or DOXOUGII-
MOUK, par. (49-51, 61-2) Barretts and E. Mus-
kerry bar. Mid. Cork, 13 m. WN W. of Cork, a police
station, under the Boghra mountns. Acres 22,308,
chiefly mountain and bog ; pop. 7491 + 70. Living,
a Pert, and prebend. (Ck. R. C.) val. 986Z., patr.
Bishop. Fairs, 12 May, 21 Nov. D. House, .
Gives title of earl to the Hutchinsons. igT Do-
NAGHMORE par. (77-9, etc.) Kaphoe bar. SE.
Donegal, contains Castlelinn-136, on K. Finn.
Acres 46,378, hilly; pop. 12,955, decreasing.
Living, &Rect. (Dy. R.) val. 1909Z., patr. M. Irv-
ing, Esq. gi?" DONAGHMORE par. (40-1, etc.)
Upper Iveagh bar. W. Down. 3m. N. of Newry
-63, near the Dane's Cast. Acres 8396, well cul-
tivated ; pop. 4436, decreasing, many weavers.
Living, &Vic. (Dn. C. D.) val. 274/., patr. Archbp.
of Armagh; ch.-yard has an old cross.
P. DoXAGiiMOKE par. (6, 11) N. Salt bar. N.
Kildare, 2 m. SE. of Maynooth-15, on Royal canal.
Acres 301 ; pop. 29. Living, the half Rect., one
part with Kildrough, the other with Clondalkin.
Carton, Duke of Leinster. igp DONAGHMORE
par. See BALLYRAGGET, Kilkenny. g5|" Do-
MAGIIMORE par. (13) Clanwilliam bar. N. Lime-
rick, 3m. SE. of Limerick- 11 9. Acres 943; pop.
727. Living, a Rect. (Lk. A. A.) val. 87/., patr.
Bishop ; church, in ruins, with tombs of the
Roches, etc. gaj2l. DONAGHMOKE par. (18-25)
Lower Navan bar. Mid. Meath, contains Navan
-29, where R. Blackwater joins R. Boyne, and
has, close to the site of St. Patrick's abbey, a
round tower nearly 100 ft. high and 66 ft. round
at the base, with a figure over the door. Acres
3955, good; pop. 1524, decreasing. Living, a
Vic. with Navan. Blackcastle, R. Fitzherbert,
Esq. gig" DONAGHMORE par. (39, 45) Ratoath
bar. 5. Meath, 4 m. SE. of Ratoath. Acres 3413 ;
pop. 391 + 16. Living, a Rect. with Ratoath. D.
House, . gaP DONAGHMORE par. (70, 77) Mid-
dlethird and E. Iffa and Offa bars. &. Tipperary,
2 m. S. of Fethard-103. Acres 1796, with lime-
stone and bog ; pop. 459. Living, a Rect. (Ca.
C. W. L.) val. 23U, patr. Bishop; church, in
ruins, with some remains of another.
P. DONAGHMORE par. (27-8) Clandonagh bar.
SIV. Queen's Co. 1 m. N. of Rathdowney-90.
Acres 3528; pop. 1620 + 41, of vil. 496+11.
Living, a Rect. (Os. F. L.) val. 455, patr. Bishop.
Fairs, 28 Mar. 12-13 June, 31 Aug. 12 Dec.
P. DON AGHMORE par. (45-6, 53-4) Dungannon
bar. S. Tyrone, 2 m. NW. of Dungannon-94, had
a culdee house, of which a stone cross remains.
Acres 18,410, with bog and hill ; pop. 12,333 + 19,
- of vil. 542, in the ale breweries and weavers.
Living, a Rect. (Arm. C.) val. 1331/., patr. Bishop,
sometime held by Walker the defender of Derry,
who b. Mullagruen, seat of A. Mackenzie, Esq.
Parkanour, J. Y. Burgess, Esq. igg" DONAGH-
MOKE par. (17, 22) Gorey and Ballaghkeen liars.
E. WexfnraL, 6m. SE. of Gorey-61, near Cahore
pt., where Mac Murragh, last king of Leinster,
landed on his return from England, had re-
mains of a benedictine abbey cell to Dogmael's,
granted to Boyle, earl of Cork. Acres 7467, with
limestone ; pop. 2497 + 5, some fishermen. Living,
a Cur. (Os. F. L.) val. 27/., patr. II. Morgan, Esq.
of Johnstown Castle ; Peppard's Cast., T. White,
Esq. D. House, . (fcj)" DONAGHMOUE par.
(21-2,27-8) Upper Talbotstown bar. W. WiMm;
3m. NE. of Baltinglass-37, on R. Slancy, under
Brusselstown hill (1305 ft.), has some clan Mi
raths and two druidical circles. Acres 23,427,
with bog and mountain; pop. 3910, decreasing;
charities about 30/. Living, a Rect. (Du. G. K.)
val. 479/., patr. Bishop.
DONAGHMOYNE, or DONAMINE, par. (27-9, etc.)
Farney bar. S.Monaghan, 2m. NE. of Carrick-
macross-50, has remains of a fort and religious
cell. Acres 25,604, with Lough Mucknoe and
limestone; pop. 15,110 + 4. Living, a Vic. (Arm.
C.) val. 903/., patr. Bishop. D. House, 3. Bask-
DoNAGiirATRiCK par. (28, 42) Clare bar. N.
Galway, 2m. NE. of Headford-167, near Lough
Corrib. Acres 10,342 ; pop. 3770 + 8. Living, a
Rect. with Headford. igf DONAGHPATIUCK
par. (17-8, 24-5) Low. Navan and Up. Kells bars.
Mid. Meath, 3m. NW. of Navan-29, on R. Black-
water, had a small abbey and castle. Acres 4027,
with limestone ; pop. 786, decreasing. Living, a
Vic. (Meath) with Kilberry, val. 380/., patr. Col.
Everard of Randalstown. Gibbstown, J. Ger-
DONAGHY vil. (38) Dunganuon bar. S. Tyrone,
2 m. NW. of Stewartstown-104. fairs, 10 July,
DONAHA viL (66) Moyarta bar. SIV. Clare,
3 m. NE. of Carrigholt-208. Pop. 175.
Donald's Mountn. (17) 5 m. NE. of Dungiven,
Mid. Londondy. 1315 ft. high.
DonamoaHead( )nearBinghamstown, N.Mayo,
where there is a remarkable sfr>ne monument.
DONAMONA par. joined to KILLALOE, Clare.
Donan Castle, in Kintal], S W. Ross, at L. Ling
fem% belonging to the Seaforths, was b. on a rock
by Alex. III., given 1263 to the Fitzgeralds, and
battered down 1719 by a man of war.
DONANAGHTA par. (100, 108) Longford bar.
SE. Galway, contains Eyrecourt-101,on R. Shan-