# P. M. iji DOWN, or DOWNPATRICK, city (37,
etc.) Lecale bar. S. Down. 94 m. NNE. of Dublin,
the county, assize, and sessions town, a chief police
station, and head of a diocese, in a valley on R.
Quoile, near Lough Strangford, was Dunum of
Ptolemy, Rath Keltair of the princes of Ulladh,
who had a palace where the old fort stands, was
the site of an abbey found, by St. Patrick 432,
and burnt by the Danes ; taken from Prince Mac
Dunleve 1177 by De Courcy who b. the castle,
which was taken from him by De Lacy in John's
time ; was burnt by Edw. Bruce 1315", who here
called himself king of Ireland ; and plundered by
O'Neil 1552 ; returns one member to parl. (2 be-
fore the Union from 1585), the limits, which are
unaltered by the Reform act, being co-extensive
with the " demesne," no. of electors 222 (of 101.
houses 285) ; and is a boro' by prescription, now
governed by 19 commissioners. Acres of par.
11,484, marshy, with building stone, of boro'
1487, of town 278 ; pop. of par. 8812, decreasing,
of boro' 4866 + 8, of town 4651, in the breweries,
tanneries, etc. and a small export trade from
Quoile quay, to which craft of 100 tons come;
houses in town 808, in four streets or quarters
(cngli sh, scotch, irish and Saul), with the cathedral,
church, 6 chapels, county court house and assem-
bly rooms, co. gaol, co. infirmary, mkt. house, fever
hosp., 3 banks, savings bk. (5526/. from 290 de-
positors), barracks, diocesan school (106/.), par.
and other schools, Southwell's hospital (237Z.)
clergy widows' houses, gas-works, and Union p.
house. Living, a Reel, attached to deanery (Dn.
C. D.) val. 1153A, patr. Crown ; church, reb. 1735.
The Cathedral, restored 1790, on the site of that
b. 1412, and burnt 1538 by Lord Deputy Grey, is
embattled, with tower, pinnacles, and buttresses,
and contains a fine E. window, tomb of Lord
Kehany, and the niches in which stood the famous
effigies of St. Patrick the patron saint, St, Bridget,
and St. Columb, who according to the legend, Hi
tres in Duno, tumulo tumulantur in uno, were buried
in one grave below. Inch abbey ruins and a well-
preserved rath near the race-course. At Struel
well pilgrims held a ' patron.' No remains exist
of two priories, a friary, a nunnery, and a lepers'
hosp. It publishes the ' D. Recorder ' newspaper ;
and the manor belongs to D. Kerr, Esq. of Montalto.
Finnabrogue, seat of J. Maxwell, Esq. >5< D. DIO-
CESE, prov. of Armagh, and once held by Jeremy
Taylor, and Hutchinson, was united with Connor
1441, and Dromore in 1842, extends over most part
of Down and small part of Antrim, a space of 52 m.
by 28, or 201,950 acres, of which 30,244 belong to
the see, and comprises 49 benefices, one of which
is a union, 13 are in patr. of Bishop, 7 in Crown.
Total benefices in united diocese, exclusive of
exempt jurisdiction of Newry, 137 ; bishop's re-
venue 4204Z. ; seat, D. and Connor House, Belfast.
The chapter consists of a dean, archdeacon, pre-
centor, chancellor, treasurer, 2 archdeacons, 7
rural deans, etc. Rom. Cath. diocese, with Connor
annexed, in prov. of Armagh, contains 40 pars.,
the cathedral being at Belfast, the bishop's seat.
D. Presbytery includes Ardglass, Ballynahinch,
Boardmills, Clough, Downpatrick, Dromara,
Kilmore, Killinchy, Lissara, Magherahamlet,
Saintfield, Seaford," Strangford. Downp. P. L.
Union, contains 24 elect, divs. in Down, with
27 guardians; acres 147,064, pop. 74,938, ho.
room for 1060, cases relieved (1847-8) 1633
(all indoor), expend. 6059Z., prop, rated 167,393/.
Mkt. D. Sat. Fairs, 1st Sat. every month.
P. DOWN par. (6) Ruxley hund. Sutton-at-
Hone lathe, NW. Kent, 5 m. SSE. of Bromley-10,
belonged to the Petlees. Acres 1380 ; pop. 444 + 2 ;
poor r. ISO/. (Brom. U.) ; real prop. 2125Z. ; cha-
rities, Philips'? school 5Z. Living, a Cur. (Cant.)
val. 105Z., patr. Rector of Orpington; church,
has 2 brasses, a piscina, sedilia, and mons. of
the Petlees, who had D. House, now seat of Col.
Down Ampney House (34) 2 m. N. of Crick-
lade, E. Gloucest. seat of Hon. P. L. Bouverie, for-
merly of the Hungerfords. See AMPNEY, DOWN.
j^ D. Barn (7) 3 m. E. of Uxbridge, W. Middle-
sex, ifip D. Bog ( ) near Philipstown, King's
Co. contains 1547 acres, iJiP D., EAST, par. (27)
Braunton hund. N. Devon. 6 m. NNE. of Barn-
staple- 192. Acres 3390; pop. 473+3; poor r.
163Z. (Barnst. U.) ; real prop. 3128Z. ; charities bl.
St. J. Baptist Rect. (Exet.) val. 346Z., patr. C. Chi-
P. DOWN-END hmlt. ( ) Horsley par. Mid.
Gloucest. 3 m. SW. of Minchinhampton-98. Liv-
ing, a Car. with Mangotsfield. IgP D. Farm
(15) 3m. S. of Salisbury, 8. Wilts. $g D.
Grange (12) 2m. SW. of'Basingstoke, N.Hants.
1&- D. Hall (47) 5 m. SSE. of Bishop Stortford,
W. Essex, W. Selwyn, Esq., was a seat of Prior's at
the end of his life. gg D. HOLLAND tnshp. (90)
Halsall par. SW. Lancash. 3 m. WSW. of Orms-
kirk-219, on Leeds and Liverpool canal. Acres
3290 ; pop. 740 ; poor r. 105/. (Ormsk. U.) ; real
prop. 5307Z. ^ D. House (18) 6m. NE. of
Dorchester, Mid. Dorset. Sir J. W. Smith, Bt.
gg D. House (43) 8 m. SW. of Upton-on-Severn,
SW. Worcester. G. Dowdeswell, Esq. ^ D.
House (35) 2 m. NW. of Bristol, S W. Gloucest. E.
Ludlow, Esq. giP D. HUSBANDS. See HURST-
BOURNE, Hants, gal" D., LOWER, tnshp. (60) N.
Lydburv par. iS W. Salop, 2 m. SE. of Bishop's
Castle-159. Pop. 116. ^ D., ST. MART, par.
(26) N. Tawton hund Mid. Devon. 6 m. NW. of
Crediton-180, near R. Taw. Acres 1890; pop.
407 ; poor r. 129Z. (Credit. U.) ; real prop. 2008Z. ;
charities 2Z. Living, a Rect. (Exet.) val. 233Z.,
patr. B. Radford, Esq. ; church, part norman,
with some curious carvings. gap" D. Place (7)
3 m. WN W. of Windsor, E. Berks, on R. Thames,
H. Harford, Esq. i^" D. Rossal ( ) 2 m. NW.
of Shrewsbury, Mid. Salop, near R. Severn, seat
of Lady Fielding. ^ D., WEST, par. (27)
Braunton hund. N. Devon. 6 m. NNW. of Barn-
staple-192, had a chantry. Acres 5000 ; pop. 637
+ 1 ; poor r. 189Z. (Barnst. U.) ; real prop. 4024/. ;
charities 5Z. Holy Trinity Vic. (Exet.) val. 190Z.,
Downe Hitt, Edenkillie par. NW. Elgin, a bar-
row on R. Divie.
Downeen Castle (143) near Ross-Carbery, S.
Cork, R. Smyth, Esq.
Doivnfield, near , Fife. J. H. Rigg, Esq. and
D. Hill camp.
Doumhall Height ( ) near Wigton, NW. Cum-
brld. a meet for the Aikton harriers.
P. DOWNHAM par. (51) Ely hund. Mid. Cam-
bridge. 2 m. NNW. of Ely-67, near Peterboro' rail,
has some remains of the bishops' palace. Acres
10,550; pop. 2140 + 42; poor r. 446Z. (Elytl);
real prop. 14,930Z. ; charities, town lands 158Z.
St. Leonard Rect. (Ely) val. 1108/., patr. Bishop.
D. Hythe, 1 m. W. gip DOWNHAM par. (1)
Barnstaple hund. S. Essex, 3 m. E. of Billericay
-23, near R. Crouch, has some traces of the Trem-
nales' old seat. Acres 790, part common ; pop.
254 ; poor r. 202Z. (Biller. U.) ; real prop. 2876Z. ;
charities 1Z. St. Margaret Rect. (Roch.) val. 402Z.,
patr. R. B. Berens, Esq. D. Hall, . gip DOWN-
HAM tnshp. ( ) Whalley par. Mid. Lancash. 3 m.
NE. of Clitheroe-217. " Acres 1870 ; pop. 386,
some cotton spinners ; poor r. 88Z. (Clither. U.) ;
real prop. 2101Z. ; charities 36Z., of which Asshe-
ton's school 26Z. St. Peter Cur. (Manch.) val.
1 29Z., patr. Hulme's Trustees. D. Hall, W. Asshe-
ton, Esq. who has the manor.
DOWNHAM division (66) Wymonham par. Mid.
Norfolk, 1 m. NE. of Wymonham-100. Pop. 1286.
Downham ( ) 9 m. WNW. of Wooler. N.
DOWNHAM. See DOWNHOLME, N. R. York.
P. M. DOWNHAM MARKET par. (65) Clack-
close hund. W. Norfolk, a station on Lynn and Ely
rail. 88 m. from London or 84 by road, and 40 m.
W. of Norwich, on a hill by R. Ouse, is a polling
and petty sess. town, once belonging to Ramsey
abbey, which had a small priory here. Acres 2880,
fenny, with wildfowl, etc. and good dairv land ;
pop. 2953 + 76 ; houses 563, with 4 chapels, an
excellent butter mkt. which used to supply the
most part of Cambridge butter,' an old bridge, bell
foundry, mustard mill, bank, savings bk. (5522Z.
from 294 depositors), and Union p. house ; poor r.
800Z. on 9137Z. ; real prop. 11,669Z. ; charities 149Z.
St. Edmund Rect. (Norw.) val. 403Z., patr. W.
Franks, Esq. ; church, ancient, with 8-sided font.
D. House, W. Say, Esq. In 1568, 27 large fish
upwards of 20 ft. long were taken here. Downh.
P. L. Union, contains the pars. etc. of Barton
Bendish, Bexwell, Boughton, Crimplesham, Den-
ver, Dereham (West), Downham (Market),
Fincham, Fordham, Hilgay, *HoIme, Marham,
Roxham, Runcton, Ryston, Shouldham, Should-
ham Thorpe, Southery, Stoke Ferrv, Stow, Shad-
sett, *Tottenhill, *VVallington with Thorpland,
Wathington, Wereham, Wimbotsham, *Worn\e-
fay, Wretton, *Wiggenhall (St. Germans, St.
lary, St. Mary Magdalene, and St. Peter), Wel-
ney ; acres 85,350, pop. 19,200, cases relieved (vr.
1846-7) 2086 (out-door 1662), expend. 7910Z.,
prop, rated 127,944Z. Sup. Registry comprises the
same ; pop. 19,202 + 385. The New County Court
district corresponds with the Registry (except
those places marked *, which go to King's Lynn).
Mkt. D. Sat. Fairs, 3 Mar. horses, 8 May, cattle,
13 Nov. ; and week before and after Old Michael-
DOWNHAM, SANTON, or SANDT, par. (65) Lack-
ford hund. NW. Suffolk, 4 m. NW. of Thetford
-80, on R. Ouae and Ely rail., was 16G8 nearly
overwhelmed with sand, which in several years
gradually travelled from Lakeneath 5 in. off,
covered a space of 1500 to 2000 acres, and almost
choked the river. Acres 3860 ; pop. C8 ; poor r.
571. (Thetf. U.) ; real prop. 8947. St. Mary Cur.
(Ely) val. 597., patr. Lord W. Powlett. D. Hall,
DOWNHAMFORD HUNDRED (3) St. AllgUStine
lathe, NE. Kent, contains the pars, of Adisham,
Fordwich, Ickham, Littlebourn, Staple, Stod-
marsh, and Wickhambreux ; acres 10,670, pop.
3223, houses 611.
DOWNHEAD par. (19) Whitstone hund. E. So-
merset. 5 m. ENE. of Shepton-Mallet-116. Acres
1310; pop 207; poor r. 162/. (S. Mallet U.);
real prop. 13327. All Saints Cur. with Doulting.
gaT DOWNHEAD hmlt. (18) W. Camel par. SE.
Somerset. 3 m. ENE. of Ilchester-121.
Downhill (2) 5 m. NW. of Coleraine, N. Lon-
dondy. Sir A. H. Bruce, Bt. ^ Downhill (29)
near BaUina, W. Sligo, on R. Moy, T. Howley,
DOWNHOLME, or DOWNHAM, par. (97) W. Hang
wap. N. R. York. 4 m. SW. of Richmond-233,
near R. Swale, contains Ellerton Abbey (which
was a nunnery), Stainton, and Walburn. Acres
5800, of town 1190 ; pop. 248 + 1, and 121 + 2 ;
poor r. 367. (Rich. U.) ; real prop. 15357. ; cha-
rities, education, etc. 87. St. Michael Cur. (Rip.)
val. 757., patr. J. T. Hutton, Esq. ; church, later
norman, with an old font.
DOWNIE vil. Monekee par. S. Forfar. 6 m.
SSE. of Forfar-58.
DOWNIES vil. Banchary-Devenick par. NE.
Kincardine. 4 J m. S. of Banchory-128. Pop. 122.
Downing (79) 3 m. NW. of Holywell, N. Flint.
seat of Visct. Fielding, through the Pennants,
where the, antiquary and naturalist was born,
was b. 1627 in shape of an H, and has some
Vandykes, Pennant's library, etc. and on the
front the fine Welsh motto Heb Dduw heb ddim,
a Duw a digon, ' Without God, without any tiling,
with God, enough.' Garreg roman watch-
tower is near.
DOWNINGS par. (13, 18) Clane bar. N. Kildare,
3 m. SW. of Clane-22. Acres 4729 ; pop. 1293.
Living, a Vic. with Carogh. D. House, .
Downley Flint Hall (7) 2 m. NW. of High
Wvcombe, 5. Bucks.
DowNrATRiCK. See DOWN, Down.
Downpatrick Head (7) 4 m. NNE. of Bally-
castle, 126 ft. high.
Downs (61) 3 m. SW. of Bridgnorth, SE. Sa-
lop, igg" DOWNS vil. (13) Newcastle bar. .ZV.
Wichlow, a police station, 13 m. N. of Newtown
Mount Kennedy, in the beautiful Glen of D.
Downs Hall (1) 1 m. SE. of Hoddesdon, W.
Exsex. fl^- D. House (22) 1 m. E. of Crediton,
NE: Devon. J. W. Buller, Esq.
Downs, Tlie, a roadstead 5 m. by 4, off Deal,
E. Kent, inside the Goodwin sands, by which it
is sheltered, with anchorage in 6 to 10 fath. water,
not far from Deal sand, which has only 12 ft. in
one part. To the N. is the Gull stream or way
from the Thames, and light ; and towards Dover,
is the S. Sand light. Inside the Brake sand to-
wards Ramsgate, are the Small Downs, about 2
m. over, with 2.J to 5 fath. The Carlisle blew up
Downs, South, a chalk ridge in S. Sussex, of
50,000 acres, chiefly pasture, for 200,000 to 300,000
'S. Down ' sheep, a hardy, fine-grained breed.
DOWNSIIAY vil. (16)* Worth Matravers par.
SE. Dorset. 1 m. SE. of Corfe Castle-116, had
quarry of Purbeck marble, of various colours.
Downshire Park (5) near Blessington, N. Wick-
low, Marquis of Downshire.
DOWNSIDE hmlt. (19) Backwell par. NE. So-
merset. 7 m. SW. of Bristol-114. Pop. 178.
r DOWNSIDE tythg. (19) Midsomer Norton
par. NE. Somerset. 2 m. NNE. of Shepton Mallet,
has one of the oldest nonconformist chapels in
the co., and St. Gregory's rom. cath. college.
Pop. 616; real prop. 31037. Living, a Cur. (Ba.
and W.) val. 657., patr. Vicar. ^T Downside
(8) 4 m. WNW. of Leatherhead, N. Surrey.
Downton (16) 3 m. SW. of Lymington, SW.
Hants. ifaP" DOWNTON par. (55) Wigmore hund.
N. Hereford. 5 m. E. of Ludlow-153, on R. Teme,
Acres 1170; pop. 104; poor r. 647. (Ludl. U.).
real prop. 12047. St. Giles Vic. (Heref.) vaL
1547., patr. Ld. Chancellor. D. Castle, T. A.
Knight, Esq. was b. in a mixed gothic and
grecian style by R. P. Knight to exemplify his
' Analytical Inquiry.' D. House, W. Cockburn,
Esq. Downton (61) 3 m. E. of Shrewsbury, Mid.
Salop, lisp" DOWNTON tnshp. (55) Stanton Lacy
par. S. Salop, 3 m. NNE. of Ludlow-143. Pop. 90,
D. Hall, Sir W. E. R. Boughton, Bt.
DOWNTON HUNDRED (14-5) <S. Wilts, detached,
contains the pars, of Bishopstone, Downton,
Bishops Fonthill, Hendon, E. Knoyle, Nunton,
and Standlyuch ; acres 23,590, pop. 6745, houses
P. DOWNTON par. (15) in the above hund.
6 m. SSE. of Salisbury-81, on R. Avon, near S.
West, branch rail., had a castle, and was a mar-
ket town and a borough by prescription, returning
2 members till disfranchised by the Reform act,
contains EAST D. tythg. (pop. 1785), Charlton,
Church, Hamptworth, Redlynch Cur., Wick and
Witherington, and belongs to Bps. of Winchester.
Acres 11,420; pop. 3648, of borough 743, malt-
sters, tanners, lace and paper makers, tick weavers,
etc. ; houses 152, with 3 chapels, Ashe's freeschool
(447.), borough cross, 3 bridges and a workhouse ;
poor r. 21087. (Alderbury U.) ; real prop. 10947.^
charities 1027. St. Lawrence Vic. (Sal.) val. with
Nunton 5717., patr. Winchester Coll. ; church, has
tombs of the Duncombes of Barford, now seat of
R. Shaftoe, Esq. D. House, a seat of the Shuck-
burghs. Dean Raleigh, grandson of Sir Walter,
was a native ; and borough-english custom pre-
vails. At the Court House, K. John is reported
to have lived. Fairs, 23 April, 2 Oct., cattle, etc.
Downton Hall (56) 1 m. E. of Radnor. E. Rad-
nor. P. Lewis, Esq.
Dowr Rivulet (55) Imokilly bar. E. Cork.
Dowries Rivulet (23) Ballynahinch bar. W.
Galway, falls into Ballvnakill harbour.
Dowrish ( ) 2 m.'NNW. of Crediton, Mid.
DOWRY. See DOORA, Clare.
Dowry Hill (1) 4 m. NE. of Blessington, .ZV.
Wicklow, 1060 ft. high.
DOWSBY par. (70) Aveland wap. S. Lincoln.
6 m. NNE. of Bourn-97, contains E. Graby.
Acres 1900; pop. 232; poor r. 1167. (Bourn U.);
real prop. 34477. ; charities, a share with Sco-
TIII.KN-. St. Andrew Rect. (Line.) val. 4247.,
patr. Rev. K. Foster, rector.
Dowsdale Bars (64) 3 m. ESE. of Crowland,
Dowsing, Inner, a sand outside Lynn Deeps,
E. Lincoln. 9 m. E. of Thrusthorpe, is 6^ m. by
1, lying N. and S., with 7 ft. water only at one
point, but 4 to 10 fath. near it. About 16 m.
NE. is the Outer D., 6 m. by , lying NW. and
SE. with 2 to 6 fath. on, and 7 to 10 oft'. Between
these sands is an unaccountable hole, called
' Little Silver Pit,' 20 to 50 fath. deep, but only
13 to 18 at the edge.
DOWTH par. (19, 20) Upper Slane bar. E. Meath,
3 m. E. of Slane-28, on R. Boyne, where the
battle was fought, near the Moat of D., a danish
camp 286 ft. high. Acres 1164; pop. 382+2.
Living, a Cur., with Duleek ; church in ruins, has
tombs of the Nettervilles of D. House, who found.
a hosp. and school at the de Lacy's castle. D.
Hall, J. N. Blake, Esq.
DOWTHORPE hmlt. ( ) Ellerby tnshp. E. R.
York. 5 m. S. of Hornsea-190.
Dowthwaite Head ( ) 6 m. ESE. of Keswick,
Mid. Cumbrid. where Airey Force or fall rises,
before it passes through Gowbarrow Pk.
DOXEY hmlt. (72) Seighford par. Mid. Stafford.
2 m. NW. of Stafford-141.
DOXFOKD tnshp. ( ) Ellingham par. NE.
Northmbrld. 6 m. N. of Alnwick-303. Pop. 56.
Doyle's Column or Jerbourg Tower, SE. point of
Guernsey, Channel Islds., 408 ft. high (from sea),
was put up in honour of Gov. Sir J. Doyle.
Doylis Wood (12) near Andover, NW. Hants.
a meet for Mr. T. A. Smith's hounds.
DOYNTON par. (35) Upper Langley hund. 5 W.
Gloucest. 5 m. S. of Chipping Sodbury-108, on R.
Boyd, a branch of R. Avon. Acres 1720, with
lead ; pop. 529 + 8 ; poor r. 1277. (C. Sodbury U.) ;
real prop. 39867. Holy Trinity, Rect. (Gl. and Br.)
val. 4331., patr. Ld. Chancellor.
Dozmery, or Dosmery, Pool (30) 9 m. NE. of
Bodmin, E. Cornwall.
DRAINAGE MARSH ext. par. (70) Swineshead
par. SE. Lincoln, near Swineshead-109. Pop. 9.
DRAINIE par. 2 m. N. of Elgin- 138, N. Elgin,
on Moray Frith, between Rs. Spynie and Lossie,
includes Kinneddar and Ogstown old pars., Los-
siemouth, and Stotfield. Size 4 m. by 2, flat and
fertile, with stone; pop. 1515 + 22, of viL 16;
real prop. 49187. ; for poor 2457. Living (presb.
Moray) vaL 2427., patr. dimming of Altyre.
Drake House (82) 5 m. NE. of Dronfield, NE.
Drake's, or St. Nicholas, Island (24) in Plymouth
Sound, SW. Devon, off Redding's Point, under
Mt. Edgecumbe, with a dangerous passage called
the Devil's Bridge, between. ^ D. Place (21)
near Wellington, W. Somerset. Ifi^ D. Place
( ) near Upton, S. Worcest. Capt. Allen.
DRAREHOLES hmlt ( ) Clayworth and Ever-
ton pars. N. Notts. 4 m. SE. of Bawtry-153.
DRAKELOW tnshp. (72) Church Gresley par.
S. Derby. 1 m. SVV. of Burton-125, on R. Trent
Acres 1400 ; pop. 62 ; real prop. 2605/. D. Hall,
Sir T. Gresley, Bt. i^ DRAKELOW ( ) 3 m.
SE. of Bawtry, N. Notts, near R. Idle, the Ches-
terfield canal, and roman way to Littleboro'. In
making the canal tunnel, coins of Constantine,
etc. were found.
DRAKESTOWN par. (11-2) Morgallion bar.
N. Meath, 6 m. NE. of Kells-39. Acres 2692, in
pastures ; pop. 889 + 10. Living, a Rect. (Meath)
with 2 others, val. I., patr. Crown and Bishop.
DrahewaJh Mine (25) 5 m. E. of Callington, E.
Cornwall, near Calstock, has molybdena, etc., in it.
DRANGAN par. (62-3) Middlethird bar. S. Tip-
perary, 5 m. NE. of Fethard-103. Acres 5427 ;
pop. 2021 + 22, of viL 401. Living, a Rect. with
DraperhiU (28) near Brookeborough, E. Fer-
P. M. DRAPERSTOWN vil. (40) Loughlins-
holme bar. S. Londondy. a police station, 8 m.
NW. of Magherafelt, 122 from Dublin, belongs to
j Draper's Comp. Pop. 517 + 16 ; houses 61, with
mkt-house, dispensary, Ballynascreen church,
and school. Mkt. D. Wed. Fairs, 1st Frid.
Draphane Castle. See Craignethan, Lanark.
DRAUGHTON par. (52) Rothwell hund. Mid.
Northmptn. 5 m. SW. of Rothwell-77. Acres
1360, with building stone ; pop. 208 + 3 ; poor r.
1001. (Brixworth U.) ; real prop. 20377. ; charities,
Chapman's 31. St. Catherine Rect. (Pet.) val.
343/., patr. H. H. H. Hungerford, Esq. D. Lodge,
1 m. N. fliT DRAUGHTON tnshp. ( ) Skipton
par. W. R. York. 4 m. E. of Skipton-216, near R.
Wharfe. Acres 2660; pop. 211; poor r. 977.
(Skipt. U.) ; real prop. 27157.
DRAX par. (87) Barkstone Ash wap. W. R.
York. 5 m. SE. of Selby-181, near R. Ouse, con-
taining LONG DRAX, Camblesford and Newland.
Acres 7490, of town 2440; pop. 1161 + 13, and
364; poor r. 1487. (Selby U.); real prop. 21787. ;
charities 9307., of which 9247. to Read's school
and almshouse. St. Peter Vic. (Yk.) val. 817.,
patr. Ld. Chancellor. giT D., LONG, tnshp. in
the above par. 1 m. N. near Rs. Ouse and Der-
went, belongs to the Lawsons, and had traces of
an austin priory found. Hen. I.'s time by Will.
Paganel, and given to the Constables. Acres 900,
good but marshy ; pop. 171 + 3 ; poor r. 777. ; real
DRAYCOT-CERNE par. (34) Malmesbury par.
N. Wilts. 3 m. N. of Chippenham-93, near R.
Avon, and Gt. West. rail. Acres 1090 ; pop. 181 ;
poor r. 1087. (Chippen. U.) ; real prop. 19067. ;
charities 257. St Peter Rect. (Gl. and Br.) val.
2347., patr. Earl of Mornington of D.-C. House,
through the Longs, of whom the church has
tombs, with a brass of Sir E. Cerne and lady
(1370). 33 D.-MooR hmlt. (13) Longworth
par. NW. Berks. 5 m. W. of Abingdon-56. Acres
920; pop. 238; poor r. 1377. (Abing. U.) ; real
prop. 15897. ^ D. St. George ( ) near,
Wilts, a seat of the Cravens of Chilton.
DRAYCOTE hmlt. (53) Bilton par. E. Warwick.
5 m. SW. of Rugby-83, near Dunsmore, near D.
Hill. Pop. 142.
DRAYCOTT liberty (71) Wilne par. S. Derby.
6 m. ESE. of Derby-126, on Midld. Count, rail,
and R. Derwent. Pop. 895; real prop. 49827.
UiP DRAYCOTT hmlt. (13) Ickford par. Mid.
Oxford. 4 m. W. of Thame-44. Pop. 12 ; real
prop. 4537. ^P DRAYCOTT hmlt. (19) Cheddar
and Stoke Rodney pars. NE. Somerset. 4 m. SE.
of Axbridge-130. Pop. 590. $3 DRAYCOTT
hmlt. (18) Limington par. SE. Somerset. 1 m.
SE. of Ilchester-121. Pop. 50 ; real prop. 7537.
ifaT DRAYCOTT hmlt. (44) Blockley par. Worcest.
locally in Gloucest. 3 m. SE. of Chipping-Campden
-90, near Northwick Pk. is a meet for the Beau-
fort hounds. Pop. 193; real prop. 8277. D.
House, E. Burroughs, Esq.
DRAYCOTT-FOLIAT tythg. (14) Wilcott par.
Mid. Wilts. 8 m. E. of Devizes-89. ^g D.-Fo-
LIATT par. (34) Kingsbridge par. NE. Wilts. 4 m.
SSE. of Swindon-80. Acres 740 ; pop. 26 ; poor
r. 417. (Highworth U.) ; real prop. 10757. Living,
a Rect. (Sal.) val. 1657., patr. A. Goddard, Esq. ;
no church. Bp. Buckeridge, who wrote against
Bellarmine, was a native, 1J&&" D.-IN-THE-CLAY
tnshp. (72) Hanbury par. E. Stafford. 4 m. SE.
of Uttoxeter-135, near R. Dove, contains Moreton
and Stubby Lane. Acres 1780; pop. 431; poor
r. 1947. (Uttox. U.) ; real prop. 38867. ggr D.-
iN-THE-Mooas par. (72) S. Todmonslow hund.
N. Stafford 2 m. SW. of Cheadle-146, contains
Todmonslow and Cresswell. Acres 3690; pop.
518 ; poor r. 1827. (Chead. U.) ; real prop. 49657. ;
charities 47. St. Peter Red. (Lich.) val. 452?.,
pair. Sir E. Vavasour, Bt. ; church, has some old
tombs, and a danish stone in ch.-yard.
DRAYTON par. (13) Ock hund. N. Beiks. 2 m.
SW. of Abingdon-50, near Uerks. and Wilts, canal
and Gt. West. rail. Acres 1950 ; pop. 5'2l + 2 ; poor r.
1 917. (Abing. U.) ; real prop. 3551/. ; charities 371.
St. Peter Cur. with St.Helen, Abingdon. i^TDRAY-
TON tythg. (12) Barton-Stacey par. NW. Hants.
4 m. SE. of Andover-03, on R. Anton. Pop. 46.
1). Lodge, . igiT DRAYTON tnshp. (64) Bring-
hurst par. Sfi. Leicester. 2 m. W. of Rockingham
-84, near R. Wetland. Acres 980; pop. 148.
(St. Faith's U.); real prop. 16927.; charities 14/.
St. Margaret Rect. (Norvv.) val. with Hellesdon
6497., patr. Bishop. D. House, Mrs. Lacon.
g=gr DHAYTON hmlt. (53) Daventry par. W.
Northmptn. t, m. W. of Daventry-72. Pop. 388.
D. Grunge, 1 in. N W. i^f DRAYTON par. (45)
Bloxham hund. N. Oxford. 2 m. NW. of Ban-
bury-71, belonged to the Ardens and Grevilles.
Acres 540; pop. 20G + 2 ; poor r. 173/. (Banb.
U.) ; real prop. 17027. ; charities 307. St. Peter
licet. (Oxon.) val. 316/., patr. Earl Delawarr,
who has part of the manor, the rest belonging to
Earl Guilford of Wroxton ; church, with tombs of
the Grevilles whose old seat is the workhouse.
g^P DRAYTON par. (13) Dorchester hund. SE.
Oxford. 6 m. ESE. of Abingdon -56, on R. Thame.
Acres 820 ; pop. 327 ; poor r. 317/. (Abingd. U.) ;
real prop. 2174/. ; charities 5/. St. Leonard
Cur. (Oxon.) val. 7., patr. Christ Ch. Coll.
gg Drayton (61) 1 m. NNE. of Shiffnall, E.
Salop. gif DRAYTON par. (18) Abdick hund.
iS. Somerset. I m. SW. of Langport-128, near R.
Parret, contains Burton-Pynsent, Middleney,
Week, and Westover. Acres 2250 ; pop. 469 ;
poor r. 222/. (Langp. U.) ; real prop. 39327.
Living, a Cur. (Ba. and W.) val. 977., patr. R. T.
Combe, Esq. ; church, has norman doonvay.
e^T DRAYTON tnshp. (62) 1 m. NNE. of Penk-
ridge in that par. Mid. Stafford. giT DRAYTON
(9) 2 m. E. of Chichester, W. Sussex, on S. Coast,
rail, gir DRAYTON hmlt. (54) Old Stratford par.
S W. Warwick. 2 m. W. of Stratford-on-Avon-96.
Pop. 20; real prop. 8047. (gp DRAYTON (54)