far. 3 m. E. of Forfar-58. Pop. 117.
Drummen House ( ) near Xeath Abbey, W.
Glamorgan. Hawkins, Esq. (?), under the D.
Hills, which have a kistvaen, or stone chest, at
DRUMMIX hmlt. (26) Lower St. Mullins bar.
& Carlow, near St. Mullins.
DRUMMOXD vil. Kiltearn par. E. Ross. 5 m.
XE. of Dingwall-182, on Cromarty frith. Pop.
I 72. Fairs, June, Dec.
Drummond Castle, 3 m. S. of Crieff, S. Perth.
Lord Willoughby d'Eresby, on a rock command-
ing a fine prospect, was b. 1490, and dismantled
1G89, but since restored, and visited by Q. Victoria
1842. It has a famous flower garden, gsf D.
Hill, near the head of Loch Tay, Mid. Perth.
Drummuir, or Drummore, 3 m. SW. of Keith,
Mid. Banff. Adml. Duff.
DRDMMULLY par. (16) Dartree bar. W. Mo-
naghan, and (42, etc.) Coole bar. S. Fermanagh,
3 m. SW. of Clones-76. Acres 7349, with bog
and limestone; pop. 4534 + 85. Living, a Rect.
(Arm. C.) val. 227Z., patr. Bishop. Farm Hill,
C. Crowe, Esq.
P. Drumnadrochit, or Drumindrochit Inn, 15 m.
XE. of Fort Augustus, NE. Inverness, on Loch-
Xess, at mouth of Glen Urquhart.
Drumnayessin ( ) near Bushmills, NE. An-
trim, Major W. Stewart.
DrumnakiUy ( ) near Omagh, Mid. Tyrone,
A. M'Causeland, Esq.
Drumnasole (25) 4 m. X. of Gleuarm, E. An-
trim, A. Furnley, Esq.
P. DRUMOAK, or DALMAIK, par. Aberdeen dist.
S. Aberd. 9 m. SW. of Aberdeen-110, on R. Dee,
is partly in Kincardine. Size 4 m. by 2, heathy ;
pop. 811+1; real prop. 31047. ; for poor 93/.
Living (presb. Aberd.) val. 158/., patr. Irvine, of
Drum, which stands near D. Loch.
DRUMOCHY vil. Largo par. S. Fife, near Largo
-27, on Frith of Forth. Pop. 156, spinners, etc.
P. DRUMOD vil. (35) Mohill bar. S. Leitrim,
a petty sessions and police station, 3 m. SW. of
Mohill, 85 from Dublin. Pop. 185 + 2, in the
ironworks. Fairs, 3 Jan. 28 Mar. 14 May, 29
June, 13 Aug. 10 Oct. 10 Dec.
P. DRUMORE vil. Kirkmaiden par. STf r . Wig-
ton, near Kirkmaiden-153, on D. Bay, near Mull
of Galloway. Pop. 276.
Drumou<hter Forest, near L. Ericht, SE. Inver-
ness., and D. Pass, a wild spot.
DRUMPEMJER vil. Old Monkland par. NW.
Lanark. 7 m. E. of Glasgow-44.
P. M. DKUMQUIN vii. (33) Omagh bar. W.
Tyrone, 7m. W. of Omagh, 118 from Dublin, was
found, in Jas. I.'s time by Sir J. Davis. Pop. 452
+ 5 ; houses 80, with a chapel, schools, and dis-
pensary. Mht. D. Th. Fairs, 17 Jan. 21 Mar.
2 May, 9 June, 15 Aug. 17 Sept, 9 Nov. 12 Dec.
DKUMRAE vil. (29) Glasserton par. SE. IVigton.
3 m. SW. of Sorby-139.
DKUMRAGH par. (34-5, etc.) Omagh bar. Mid.
Tyrone, contains Omagh-109. Acres 20,1 03, hilly
with bog; pop. 11,453 + 10, many weavers. Living,
a Rect. (Dy. R.) val. 989/., patr. Trin. Coll. Dub-
lin. New Grove, S. Galbraith, Esq.
DRUMRANEY par. (23, 30) W. Kilkenny bar.
W. Westmeath. 2 m. W. of Ballymore-G2, had near
St. Enan's well an abbey burnt in 10th cent.
Acres 9102, with limestone ; pop. 3367, decreas-
ing. Living, a Rect. (Meath) with Ballyloughloe,
and a Cur. val. 93/., patr. Rector. Remains of the
old seat of the Dillons, and other castles, raths,
etc. are about.
DRUMRAT par. (39, 40) Corran bar. 5. Slir/o,
3 m. S. of Ballymote-122, has remains of an ab-
bey found, by St. Fechin. Acres 3730, with bog
and limestone; pop. 1754+15. Living, a Vic.
Drumraymond (42) near Randalstown, W. An-
trim, a seat of Lord O'Neill.
DRUMREILLY par. (8) Tullyhaw bar. NW.
Cavan (18, 21) Carrigallen and Dromahaire bars.
Leitrim, 8 m. N W. of I3allinamore-94, was part of
Templeport till 1835. Acres 34,622, with moun-
tain, limestone, and bog ; pop. 10,289 + 101.
Living, a Vic. (K. E. A.) val. 146/., patr. Bishop.
Garradise, on that lough, seat of W. Percy, Esq.
Drumroe (21, 29) near Cappoquin, W. Water-
ford, Sir W. J. Sloman, Bt. near R. Blackwater.
Drumroragh (38) near Mount Nugent, S. Cavan.
Drumrourk Hill ( ) Glenarought bar. S. Kerry.
DRUMS vil. Errol par. SE. Perth. 5m. E. of
Perth-40, near Frith of Tay. Pop. 73.
Drumsully ( ) near Cappamore, .ZV. Limerick.
DRUMSHALLON par. (21) Ferrardbar. S.Louth,
4m. NE. of Drogheda-28, near the sea, had an
abbey found, by St. Patrick, afterwards a cell to
Christ. Ch. Dublin. Acres 3585; pop. 1135 + 9.
Living, a Rect. held by precentor of Christ. Ch.
D. House, G. Henzill, Esq.
P. DRUMSHANBO vil. (23) Leitrim bar. Mid.
Leitrim, 12 m. NW. of Mohill, 106 from Dub-
lin, a police station, where R. Shannon leaves
Lough Allen. Pop. 517 + 4, formerly in the iron-
works ; houses 80, with Kiltaghart church, and
2 chapels. Fairs, 15 Feb. 1 Apr. 16 May, 13
June, 18 July, 16 Aug. 6 Oct. 16 Nov.
DrumsilUi (30) 1 m. NE. of Carrigallen, SE.
Leitrim, A. O'Brien, Esq.
P. DRUMSNA vil. (31) Leitrim bar. SW. Lei-
trim, 1 m. SE. of Jamestown, a petty sess. and
police station, in a fine spot on R. Shannon. Pop.
516 + 9. Fairs, 20 May, 22 June, 25 Aug. 7 Oct.
13 Dec. Mount Campbell, Sir J. Rowley, Bt.
DRUMSNAT par. (8, 9, 12-3) Monaghan bar.
N. Monaghan, 3 m. SW. of Monaghan-76. Acres
5019, middling; pop. 3439 + 2. Living, a Vic.
(Arm. C.) val. 92/., patr. Bishop. Thornhill, J.
DRUJISTURDYMUIR vil. Monificthpar. R. For fur.
6 m. NE. of Dundee-45, under Laws hill. Pop. 176.
DRUMSURN vil. ( ) Keenaught bar. N. Lon-
dondy. 3 m. SE. of Newtown-Limavady-142.
DuiTMSwnons vil. ( ) Dartrce bar. W. Mnna-
y/i'iii, ,'i m. SSE. of Clones-7G.
Drumuie, near , Suthrld. H. M'Pherson, Esq.
DRUMVAIOH vil. Kilmadock par. S.Perth, near
Doune-44. Pop. 49.
DRUNG par. (16-7, 21-2) Tulligarvey bar. .2V.
Cavan, 5 m. NE. of Cavan-70. Acres 11,495,
with building stone ; pop. 6551 + 54. Living, a
Vic. (K. E. A.) with Laragh, ral. 1134/., patr.
Bishop. Fort William, a rath, occupied by Will.
II I.'s forces. Rakeny, T. Clements, Esq.
Drung Mountn. (63) Iveragh bar. W. Kerry,
near Dingle bay, 2104 ft. high.
Drunkie Loch, SW. side of L. Vennachar, S W.
Druridge ( ) 7 m. NE. of Morpeth, E. North-
mbrld. on D. Bay, near Widdrington Castle.
DRURY hmlt. (79) Pentrobbin tnshp. Mid.
Flint, near Hawarden-189.
Druxton (25) 3m. NE. of Launceston, W.
Devon, on R. Carey.
Drws Ardudwy (75) 8 m. SE. by E. of Harlech,
Mid. Merion. a line pass (' dwrs,' a door), near
Rhinog Fawr. gaf" D.-y-Coed (75) 4m. NW.
by N. of Beddgelert, & Carnrvn., a pass under
Mynydd Mawr. i^ D.-y-Nant (74) 8 m. NE.
of Dolgelly, E. Merioneth., under Benglog.
DRY DUAYTON. See DRAYTON-DRY, Cam-
bridge, tgsi" D. Loch, at the head of R. Dee,
DRYBECK tnshp. ( ) St. Lawrence Appleby
par. N. Westmrld. 3 m. SW. of Appleby-270, on
a branch of R. Eden. Pop. 86 ; real prop. 686/.
&. Dryburgh Abbey, 3 m. ESE. of Melrose,
S. Berwick, in a fine spot on R. Tweed, was found.
1150 by Hugh Morville, as a cell to Alnwick,
burnt 1322 by Ed. II., restored by Rob. Bruce,
destroyed by the English 1544, and given to the
Marrs 1604, and has norman and other remains
of the church transept, choir, St. Mary's aisle,
where Scott and the Haliburtons are buried.
D. House, Lord Erskine, through Earl Buchan,
has a temple with a bust of Thomson, a statue of
Wallace, etc. ; Bemerside, Haig, Esq. ; Mertouu
Ho., Lord Polwarth.
DRYDEN vil. Lasswade par. Mid. Edinbro 1 , 4 m.
SW. of Dalkeith-7.
Dryfe River, rises in Hutton par. S. Dumfries.
and runs 17m. S. to R.Annan, near Sockerby,
through Dryfesdale, or Dry'sdale (as below),
which it overflows in rainy seasons.
DRYFESDALE, or DRYSDALE, par. S. Dumfries.
contains Lockerby-67, in Annandale, on R. Dryfe,
as above. Size 7 m. by 3, good, part pasture, w'ith
shell, marl, lime, soft stone, whinstone ; pop.
2093, decreasing ; real prop. 7733/. ; for poor
31 II. Living (presb. Lochmaben) val. 166/., patr.
Crown ; church at Lockerby. Near the old ch.-
yard, by the river, are Maxwell's Thorns, where
400 Johnstons routed 2000 Maxwells 1593. There
are remains of 5 border towns at Old Walls,
Netherplace, etc., 9 roman and british camps at
Bengali, Gallberry, D. Gate, etc. including one
where J. Agricola defeated the natives under
Gnldus, a roman way to Birrenswark, and of
Beekton chapel, which the K. Templars had; and
there are fine views from Currie law, Whitewynd
hill, and the manse on Kirkhill.
Dry grange, 2m. NE. of Melrose, N.Roxburgh.
T. Tod, Esq. on R. Tweed.
DRYIIII.I, hmlt. (*8) Dcnl.y tnshp. W.R. York.
3m. NNW. of Poniston-175.
Dryhope Gistle, 15 m. SW. of Selkirk, ,V,V.
Selkirk, the birthplace oi' Mary Scott, " tlio
Flower of Yarrow," and ancestor of the authoress
of " The Flowers of the Forest."
Drylaw Hill, 6 m. W. of Dunbar, 2V. Haddngtn,
P. DRYMEX par. N. Stirling. 20 m. W. of Stir-
ling, 58 from Edinbro', including part of Buck-
lyvie q. s., on R. Forth, Duchray, and Enrick.
Size, 15m. (or more) by 9, hill and moor; pop.
1515, decreasing, of vil. 344 ; real prop. 10,033Z. ;
for poor 175Z. Living (presb. Dumbarton) val.
/., patr. Crown. Cashlie has a cairn. Fairs,
1st Tu. Jan. 3rd Tu. Feb. 3rd Wed. April and
July, 10 May, 9 June. 23 Aug. o. s. and 1st Frid.
Drynam (12) near Swords, N. Dublin.
DRYPOOL par. (86) Middle Holderness wap.
E. R. York, close to Hull-171, on R. Humber, con-
tains Sonthcoates. Acres 1290, of town 240 ;
pop. 3390 + 46, and 2223; poor r. 339Z. (Scul-
coates U.) ; real prop. 4810Z. ; charities, Scott's for
poor 100Z. St. Peter Cur. (Yk.) val. 300Z., patr.
Simeon's Trustees. Frismerk, near this, was
swallowed up by the Humber.
DRYSMVYN hmlt. (41) Llangathen par. Mid.
Carmarthen. 3 m. W. of Llandeilo-fawr-202, in the
vale of Tywi, near Grongar Hill and D. Castle,
of which the walls remain, and which belonged to
the S. Wales princes.
DRYSTOKE. See STOKEDRY, Rutld.
DRYTON tnshp. (61) Wroxeter par. Mid. Sa-
lop, 7 m. SE. of Shrewsbury- 153, on R. Severn.
DUAGH par. (17-8, etc.) Clanmaurice and Iragh-
ticonnor bars. If. Kerry, 4 m. SE. of Listowel-
171, on R. Feale. Acres 18,843, with mountain
and bog ; pop. 5065 + 131, of vil. 345 + 13.
Living, a Vic. (Lk. A. A.) with Kilcarragh, val.
245/., patr. Rev. R. Hickson of D. Glebe. D.
House, 0. Fitzmaurice, Esq. ; Balliuruddery, the.
Knight of Kerry.
Dualla (61) near Cash el, Mid. Tipperary, R.
Duart Castle, in Mull isld. N. Argyll, at SE. end
of the Sound, Campbell, Esq. of Fossil, near the
Lady's rock, where Maclean of D. tried to drown
his wife, which Johanna Baillie has dramatised
in her " Family Legend," and Campbell made the
subject of his 'Glenara.'
DUBBLIESIITE vil. Markhinch par. S. Fife. 3 m.
SE. of Falkland-25, near R. Leven.
P. DUBFORD, near Banff, NE. Banff.
Dulth Loch, at Inverary, Mid. Argyll, on the
DUBLIN (28 sheets) a seaside county, Leinster
province, E. Ireland, the seat of the Blanii or Eblanii
of Ptolemy, was overrun 10th cent, by the Danes,
who occupied Fingall (' foreign people') N. of the
Taffy, and were defeated at Clontarf by Brian
Boru, was made shire ground 1210 by John, is
traversed by Rs. Liffy and Tolka, the rails, and
canals from the metropolis, and bordered by
Wjcklow (S.), Kildare (SW. and W.), Meaih
(XW.), the Irish Sea (E.). Length from Kippure
mountn. to beyond Balbriggan 32 m., greatest
breadth 18, av. ditto 12 ; relative size 109-
10,000ths; circuit 110, of which 42 are coast (de-
fended by 26 martello towers), having along it :
Dublin and Swords fishing districts (85 m. strictly)
with 416 vessels and 2096 hands, 10 coast-gd.
stations, and Balbriggan light, Rush, Lambay
isld., L. Shinny, Swords, Malahide bay, Baldoyle
bathg. place, Howth (once a packet stat.) where
Gco. IV. landed 1821, off which is Ireland's Eye
isld., Bailey It., under Hill of Howth, Dublin bay
(in which are, Clontarf, Black rock bathing pi.,
Kingstown packet stat., where Q. Victoria landed
1849, Dalkey isld., and off which are Burford and
Kish banks and floating light), Bray bathg. plare.
It contains 354 sq. m. or 226,414 acres, of which
196,063 are arable, 5519 plantation, 5520 in towns,
19,312 uncultivated bog, etc. ; 76,276 families, of
whom 20,200, or 48 per cent., live by agricult.,
34,700, or 26 per cent., by manufact., trade, etc.,
6931 professions and independent, 26,306 by
manual labour, 14,498 in 3rd and 4th, or lowest
class houses ; 372,773 persons (being a decrease
of 7394 since 1831) of whom 242,914 are in Dub-
lin, Kingstown, Balbriggan, 201,843 are females,
155,610 under 20 yrs. of age, 273,513 county-
born ; 45,460 houses, besides 3239 uninhabited,
and 237 building; 9 baronies (exclusive of the
co. of the city), E. and W. Balrothery (N.),
Castle Knock (Mid. W.), Coolock (Mid. E.),
Dublin (MidA Nethercross (N.), Newcastle (S.),
Rathdown (SE.), Uppercross (SW.) ; 78 parishes
(of which Lusk is the largest, 16,184 acr.) besides
part of another, and the city pars. ; 6 market
towns, Dublin, the capital, etc. as below, Swords
old boro', Balbriggan, Newcastle old boro',
Kingstown, Ballymore-Eustace, Dublin (where
there are two) with Balrothery and Rathdown,
being poor law unions, Swords and Balbriggan,
being sess. towns, and with Lucan and Rathfarn-
ham, police districts (including 37 stations and
243 men), the head quarters being Clontarf; re-
turns six members to parl., viz. 2 for co. (elect.
2820), 2 each for the city and university, as below ;
is governed by a lieutenant, vice lieut, 23 deputy
lieuts. and about 112 magistrates ; is in the Dublin
military district, in the Kilmainham assize dis-
trict, and diocese of Glendelagh in province of
Dublin. Gross rental (1846) 250,2017. or 20s. Id.
per acre ; val. to poor r. 558,794/. ; county rate
('48) 26,344Z. Savings bks. ('48) 2, with *3940Z.
from 295 depositors ; loan funds ('48) 4, with a
capital of 5920/. and circulating 6547Z. Schools
(national) in '48, 129, with 22,149 children attend-
ing, in 1841, 12,451 went to schools of all kind,
and 37 per cent, of the pop. could not read or
write. Av. no. of committals ('45-8) 358, of whom
189 were convicted, ditto for city 1579 and 959.
Births (1841) 1 in 33 ; deaths 1 in 48, in city 1 in
32. The climate is mild, the soil clayey, mixed
with gravel, having a substratum of mountn.
limestone in the N., where there are few hills,
clay slate to SW., and granite SE. on the Wichloia
border, where Kippure rises 2743 ft., Three rock
1763, Garry cast. 1532, Tallaght hill 1306, and
other points without names from 1100 to 1800
and 2000 ft. ; magnesian limestone is found on R.
Dodder, schistose at Hill of Howth (567 ft.),
greenstone in Man of War hills. A little lead is
worked at Ballycorus, Clontarf, and the Scalp
pass ; fullers' earth at Castleknock ; and potters'
clay and traces of copper are seen. A few in
Dublin are employed in the silk manufact. (first
brought in by the French refugees), of poplins,
tabbareas, velvets, ribbons ; linen is made at Cha-
pelizod ; Balbriggan has some cotton and stock-
ing manufactures. In '47, a bad year, 387, 402,
161, 297 persons were employed in the cotton,
woollen, worsted, flax mills, respectively. Among
many mineral springs are, Lucan, Finglass (where
the observatory stands), and Leixlip, near R.
Liffey salmon leap. Oysters and fish are taken
on the coast. State of agriculture, middling ;
the dairies supply the capital. Acres in crop ('48)
92,391, of which* the chief are oats 20,412, wheat
16,413, potatoes 8465, barley and rye 2870, tur-
nips 3062, meadow and clover 39,117, etc., and
the value of live stock in '41 on 5090 farms above
1 acre, was 356,0 12/., including 16,530 horses,
27,819 head of cattle, 20,876 sheep (34,000 in '48),
13,080 pigs, etc. Among the antiquities are,
cromlechs at Howth, Dalkey, Killeny, Brennans-
town ; round towers at Clondalkin, Swords, Lusk,
Shankill ( ? ), Ireland's Eye ; a rath at Greenhills ;
abbey or other ruins at Howth, Kilbarrock, Grace-
dieu (a nunnery), Holmpatrick ; churches at
Dalkey, St. Doolagh (very small and curious),
Malahide, Lusk, Swords ; castles at Clontarf,
Bullog, Drumnagh and Brymore (the Barnewells')
Kilgobban (Walshes'), Artane (Donellans'), Bal-
griffin, Swords (Archbps. palace), Feltrim (Fa-
gans'), Portrane (Cusacks', etc.), Baldongan, Naul
(Cruises'), Castleknock (Tyrrels'), Balyfin, Sag-
gard, Timon. At Kilmainham the Templars had
a preceptory ; Usher wrote some of his works in
Lambay isld. ; Donnybrook is known for its fair ;
and Dundrum for its goats' whey ; at Glasnevin is
a botanic garden and cemetery ; and Kedesdale
and Tallaght are seats of the archbp. Other
seats are: the Lord Lieutenant Phoenix Park,
Marq. of Ely Hatfifarnham Cast., Earl Howth H.
Castle, E. Norbury Cobra Ho., E. Charlemont
Marino, E. Donoughmore Palmerston Ho., E.
Mountcashell M. Lodge, Visct. Molesworth Swords,
V. Frankfort de Montmorncy Maryville, Lord Bra-
bazon Kilruddery, Ld. Cloncurry Maretirno, Ld.
Trimlestown Turvey, Ld. Clanmorris Fortfield,
Ld. Plunket Old Connaught, Ld. Talbot de Mala-
hide M. Castle, Domville, Bt. Santry, Coghill,
Bt. Drumcondra, Kennedj', Bt. Johnstown, Steele,
Bt. Monkstown, Borough, Bt. Coolock, Coulthurst,
Bt. Lucan Ho., Stamer, Bt. Beauchamp, Marsh,
Bt. Castleknock, Lees, Bt. Blackrock, Whitshed,
Bt. Jobstown, Shaw, Bt. Bushy Ph., Palmer, Bt.
Kenure Pk., Power, Bt. Roebuck Ho., Betham,
Knt. king-at-arms, Stradbrook, Cockburn, Knt.
Shanyanagh, Hamilton, M. P. of Abbotstown,
Taylor, M. P. of Ardgillan, Yernon of Clontarf,
Cobbe of Newbridge, Crofton of Roebuck Cast, (old),
Hussey of Westtown, Dunne of Brittas, Malone of
Pallas Ph., Latouche of Rathfarnham, Lindesay
of Glasnevin, White of Killikee and of Stillorgan,
Wood of Greenwood, Beresford of Abbeville, Byrne
of Cabinteely (?), Guinness of Beaumont, also
frisson Hall, Belcamp, Portrane, Seapark Court,
Drynam. Priory was Curran's, where the " monks
of the screw " met. A railroad goes to Kings-
town ; 25 m. of the Drogheda to Howth, Lusk,
etc. ; 10 of the Gt. S. and Western to Milltown ;
also about 10m. of the Royal, and 8 of the Grand
canal, go out westward. Roads : 1. To Stillorgan
5 m., Bray 11 ; thence to Wexford 92. 2. To
Tallaght 5, Blessington 16 ; thence to Carlow.
3. Clondalkin 4, Rathcone 8 ; thence to Athy and
Carlow. 4. Lucan 7, Maynooth 12 ; thence to
Galway 133. 5. Richardstown 4, Clonee 8 ; thence
to Enniskillen. 6. Finglass 2, Ashborne 12;
thence to Derry. 7. Swords 7, Lusk 12, Bal-
briggan 18 ; thence to Belfast.
DUBI.IN, COUNTY OF THK CITY OF (14, 18, 22)
Mid. Dublin, contains part of the pars, of Booters-
to\vn, Donnybrook, Monckton, St. Peter, St. Mark,
and Taney ; acres 1650, pop. 12,600, houses 1736.
*# P. M. * DUBLIN city (18) the capital of
Ireland, E. Dublin, 292 m/frorn London (or 267
by rail, to Holyhead, and thence 60, making about
12 hrs. run), 138 from Liverpool, the seat of the
Viceroy, of an archdiocese and university, etc., a
bonding port, at the Liffey's mouth, where joined
by the Dodder aud Tolka, 10 m. from the sea at
D. Bay, on a line champaign spot in sight of the
Wicklow and other hills, was \.\\&Eblana of Pto-
lemy, and Bally -ath-Cliath, i.e. 'hurdle-ford town'
or Dubh-Unn, i. e. 'black water' of the Irish ; was
taken 498, and again 836, and fortified 9th to llth
cents, by the Danes, who, under Sitric, were beaten
101-1 by Brian Boru at Clontarf, but held it till
reduced 1170 byStrongbow; visited 1172-3 by
Hen. II. who gave it to the men of Bristol, and
1210 by John, who parcelled out the shires, and
made it the capital of the Pale ; fortified 1205,
and the castle b. 1205-13 ; had a mint from 1251,
was nearly all burnt 128.3, besieged 1313 by Ed.
Bruce ; visited 1394 by Rich. II. (and again 1399)
who knighted four Irish kings in the cathedral,
and by Hen. V. 1413 ; frequently threatened by
the O'Tooles, O'Byrnes, and Mores from the moun-
tains ; besieged 1534 by Thorn. Fitzgerald upon
his rebellion, and by O'Nial 1646 ; had a pop. of
8159 in 1644; taken 1647 byParl., against whom
it was held by Marq. of Ormonde, who was de-
feated at Baggotrath 1649; occupied 1688 by
Jas. II., who fled hence after the battle of Boyne ;
was visited by Will. III. ; was the scene of
Lord E. Fitzgerald's insurrection two years before
the Union (1800), and of Emmet's 1803; was
visited by grand duke of Russia 1818, George IV.
1821, Brit. Association 1835, and by Q. Victoria
1849; returns two members to parl. (besides two
forTrin. Coll. as below) the bounds including the
city and libs, (which on the SE. rock stretch to
Blackrock) no. of electors 15,049 (of 10/. houses
16,000) ; was first chartered by Hen. II. or by
John, and under the late act is divided into 15
wards (with altered bounds, including 29 pars, as
below, Grangegorman, part of Glasnevin, Christ Ch.
liberty, and St. Patrick's Dean) governed by a lord
mayor, 15 aid. 45 council , high sheriff, recorder, etc.
with a revenue of 16,614/. Size 3J m. by 2, and
10$ m. round, by the circular road or 3700 acres
(but only 4943 acres within parl. bounds) on moun-
tain limestone, with an av.fall of 30 - 9 inches of rain.
Pop. (1682) 60,000, (1777) about 137,000, (1804)
167,899, (1821) 185,881, (1841) 232,726 + 2907
(or 49,511 families), of whom about one-fourth
are protestants, 111 established clergy, 102 rom.
cath. clergy, 1885 lawyers, 692 medical men, 638
teachers, and 23,859 servants, employed in a ge-
neral and shipping trade, with a few in iron cast-
ing and cabinet making, in Guinness's and other
breweri<-, Rigby's gun and Hutton's coach fac-
tories, E.nif^r-nd glass-works, besides a few more
who are weavers of tabbinets and poplins, wool-
lens, etc. Houses 21,771 (in about 800 streets)
of which 1661 are empty or building, and an. val.
of holdings, 670,435/. ; they are slated, and none
older than 16th cent., many of the largest, as
Charlemont, Aldboro', Leinster Houses, etc., which
belonged to the nobility before the Union, are
turned into hotels, public offices, schools, or else,
as in Donore and Thomas Court liberties, into
lodgings for the poor. Carlisle bridge has the
best view of the city, taking in the Post Office
and Nelson pillar (fluted doric, by Wilkins, 130 ft.
high) in Sackville St. which is 120 ft wide, the
custom ho., Trinity coll. and the Bank (or old
parl. house) on College Green, the Four Courts,
etc., the handsomest quarters being to the NE.
and SE. Besides St. Stephen's Green of 13 J acres,
nearly one mile in circuit, first planted 1670
(with statue of Geo. II.), there are 4 squares,
Merrion (begun 1762) 12 acres, 1030 ft. by 530,
with a fountain; Fitzwilliam (the newest);
Mountjoy 450 ft. square ; and Rutland, with Ro-
tunda garden. The chief buildings are, 2 cathedrals
and 20 churches (as below) ; the archbp.'s (1816)
and 8 rom. cath. churches, a Jesuits' church, 6
friaries, 9 convents, 3 monasteries ; 26 episcopal,
5 wesleyan, 5 presbyterian, 3 independent, 2
Unitarian, and 9 other chapels, and a synagogue ;
the University and Castle as below ; sessions
house, b. 1797 in place of the Tholsel (b. ICH.'i) ;
mansion ho., Dawson St.,with statue of George I.
in front, and portraits of Yiceroys, speaker Foster,
Ch. II., Geo. II., Wfll. IV. by Gtibbins, etc. ; city
assembly room or court ; co. gaol and court ho. at
Kilmainham ; Newgate prison (1773) by Coolev,
170 ft. by 130; city marshalsea (1804), Four
courts ditto (1775), sheriffs' prison in Green St.
(1794), house of cor. or Richmond bridewell for
women ; courts of law or Four-Courts, i. e. of
chancery, queen's bench, exchequer, common
pleas, on site of Saviour priory, found. 1202 by
the Marshalls (near Richmond br.), begnn 1776
(the \V. side) by Cooley, finished 1800 by Gandon,
450 ft. by 170, and 140 square inside, with a
corinthian portico, a fine dome over the hall 64 ft.
diam. with statues and bas-reliefs it has a statue
of O'Loghlen by M'Dowall (1849), and adjoining
are the rolls, nisi prius, and bankruptcy courts ;
queen's inns of court, by Gandon, near Broadstone
liarb. and Mullingar rail, station, a centre with
wings 110 ft. long, hall 81 by 42, and lib. (b.
1827) 85 by 65 ; general post-office, 1815-8 by F.
Johnston (cost 50,0007.) 223 ft. by 150, and 50
high, with ionic portico 80 ft. wide, and statues
l>y Smyth ; bank on College Green (visited by
the Queen 1849, and used by parliament before
the Union) is the first building in Dublin, b.
1729-39, for 95,0007. with a fine ionic front 147 ft.
wide, E. corinthian portico by Gandon 1785, W.
portico by Parker 1787-94, military guard-room
by J. Kirk, the old commons' house, a circle of 55 ft.
diam., the peers' house (now board room) 73 ft.
by 30, with a statue of Geo. III. by Bacon, bust of
Wellington, and ' Battle of Boyne ' and ' Siege of