Copyright
James A Sharp.

A new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) online

. (page 169 of 293)
Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 169 of 293)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Derrv ' in tapestrv ; roval exchange on Cork hill,
b. 1769-79 by Cooley for 40,0007., 100 ft. square,
in corinthian style, with a dome, and statues of
Geo III. by Van Nost, and Dr. Lucas, a bene-
factor to the college part is used as a mechanics'
institute (estab. 1837) ; custom-house (which
ranks next to the bank) on Liffey, near Drogheda
rail, stat.b. 1781-91, by J. Gand'on, for 546,0007.,
and has two courts with A S. or river front 375 ft.
by 205, with doric portico, and dome 125 ft. high
(topped by a statue of 'Hope' by Banks), heads
emblematical of Irish rivers by Smyth, long room
76 ft. by 75 (where little business is done), a N.
portico with statues by Banks, the stamp office
(which was in Ld. Powerscourt's old house),
board of works, poor-law, and other offices are
kept here ; commercial bldgs. Dame St. b. 1799
for 38,0007., including hall, 60 ft. long, of chamber
of commerce (b. 1820), stock exchange, and
' Ouzel galley,' or arbitration court (found. 1705) ;
linen hall (1728) and stores in 6 courts covering
3 acres, with statue of Geo. IV. by Kirk; corn
exchange on Burgh quay, with a hall of 130 ft. ;
bank of Ireland, Hibernian, provincial, national,
royal, Lond. and Dub. joint stock, and 3 other
ba'nks ; 3 assurance companies ; 2 savings banks
(with 132,8617. from 6751 depositors); 2 loan
funds (with 74377. capital) ; 3 police courts (3
magistrates to each), police barracks (with a force
of 1150 officers and men, in 7 divisions, under 2
commissioners), ballast office, wide street commis-
sion and pipe-water committees' offices; Hiber-
nian and Alliance gas companies ; water reservoirs
Portobello, James and Blessington sts. ; 7 stone
and 2 iron bridges (as below) ; Conciliation hall
(shut up) on Burgh quay, near Carlisle br. ; royal,
Richmond (infantry), Portobello (cavalry), castle,
Beggar's Bush, Pig'eon ho., and artillery barracks ;
markets, at Smithfield for cattle, Spitalfields and
Kelvin St., bacon, butter, hay, etc., Boot Lane,
fish, Green St., fowls, fruit, potatoes, etc., and 10
small mkts. (Castle mkt. being the site of Hen.
Il.'s wicker pavilion, where he kept court 1172);



DUB

theatre royal in Hawkins St. (1820), Queen's and
Abbey St. theatres, Portobello gardens, Maceaud's
gymnasium, zoological gardens in Phoenix pk.,
Dub. society's botanical gardens of 37 acres at
Glasnevin on R. Tolka (which belonged to Tickell,
when Addison visited him) ; cemeteries at St.
James St., Harold's Cross (27 acres),and Glasnevin
of 20 ac. (near the gardens) where Curran,
O'Connell, etc. are buried; Shalloway's baths,
Luxembourg ( ?) ; statues of Will. III. at College
Green (1701), Geo. I. at Dawson St. (1722, first on
Essex bridge till 1753), Geo. II. at Stephen's Green
(1758), Geo. III. in the bank, Geo. IV. at the linen
hall, Lucas in the exchange (1771), also of Grattan
and T. Drummond (late under-secretary) ; roy.
Dublin society at Leinster ho. (where an Irish
polytechnic exhibition was held 1841), 140 ft.
by 70, found. 1731, with 9 professors and lecturers,
and 3 masters of arts attached, museums of nat.
hist, (the minerals arranged by counties) and agri-
cult., a collection of casts, botanic garden as aboVe)
museum of model farms, etc. library of 12,000 vols. ;
royal Irish academy, Grafton St. (of literat. arts,
antiq.) found. 1782, with 180 members (who
publish their transactions), a Celtic lib. and
a museum; royal agricult. (1841) and horticult.
(1845) societies, nat. hist, society (1838) with a
museum ; geolog. societv ; Irish archa-olog. so-
ciety (1840); roy. Irish institn. (1842) of native
artists, etc. ; roy. Hibern. academy, Abbey St.
(1823) in the house left byJohnston the architect ;
two art-unions ; college of surgeons on Stephen's
Green (1806), a doric front, cost 25,0007., with
portraits, a library, 3 museums (one 84 ft. by 30)
4 theatres, laboratory, etc. ; apothecaries' hall
(1790), Peter St. and Richmond hosp. schools
of anatomy, Park St. school of medicine (1824);
archbp. Marsh's library, 17,000 vols. and MSS.
(with many of Stillingfleet's) found. 1707, Dub.
library, D'Olier St. (1791) with 1500 members;
King's or blue-coat hosp. (1670) for 150 boys,
who are put to trade or to sea, chartered by Ch. II.,
reb. 1773 at Oxmantown, with ionic front 300 ft.
long, chapel, school, dormitories, etc ; Hibernian
marine society, or seamen's orphan school (b. 1770),
and chapel ; sailors' home ; two of Erasmus Smith's
schools, endowed with estates forfeited 1641 ;
national education bldgs. (old Tyrone ho.) with
training school, etc. (which the" Queen visited
1849) ; Kildare-place bldgs. for scripture schools ;
Independent college ; church educat. societv's
model school, and about 90 parochial, protestant,
rom. catholic, and other schools (attended by
15,130 children); Kilmainham hosp. for 250 old
soldiers (and 3000 out pensioners) found. 1680 by
Duke of Ormonde. 306 ft. by 288, with a piazza,
dining hall (which the Queen visited 1849), 100 ft.
by 50, portraits of Ch.IL, Will. III., Anne, etc.);
old chapel on the site of Strongbow's Templars'
priory, of which there are traces ; foundling hosp.
(b. 1704) refound. 1797, for 1000 children, with
chapel, infirmary, and hall 120 ft. by 40, which
has a portrait of Archbp. Boulter, who" fed the city
poor here 1727-8; FerrulFs widows' (1793) alms"-
house, James St. and Gt. Britain St. widows'
almsh., Forteck's almsh., widows' retreat (1815),
George's and Knight's almshouses, old men's
protestant asylum ; Pleasant's female orphan ho.
and chapel (1818) for 10, and about 10 other
orphan schools ; 3 asylums for female sen-ants ;
ho. of industry, with branches at Richmond ; sur-
gical hosp. for 120, Hardwicke fever hosp. for
144, Talbot dispensary, and Island Bridge lu-
natic asylum; Sir Pat. Dun's hosp. found. 1781,
b. 1803, for 150 patients, with 5 professorships
and lectureships attached, Steeven's hosp. (1720-



DUB



DUB



COS



3) for 300, with a court 114 ft. by 94, and chapel,
Meath or county hosp. for 100, b. 1770, on site
of Swift's garden, which he called 'Naboth's
vineyard,' city hosp. (1832), charitable or
Jervls St. infirmary (1721), St. Vincent's hosp.
and dispensary (1835) for 80, attended by sisters
of charity, Mercer's hosp. (b. 1734), fever
hosp. and ho. of recovery (1804), Whitworth
hosp. (1818) at DrumcondVa, royal infirmary or
military hosp. ; lying-in hosp. for 140, found.
1745 by Dr. Mosse (the oldest in the kingdom),
b. 1751-6, 125 ft. by 82, with a chapel, hall,
and gardens, where stands the rotunda 80 ft.
diam. in which concerts (and latterly political
meetings) are held, also Anglesea, Coombe
(1829) for 40, S. Eastern (1834) for 25, Western
(1835) and Kingstown (or Clarence St.), lying-
in hosps. and dispensaries; the general (1782),
S. Eastern, Adelaide (1839, for protestants), Lord
Netterville's general (1834), and 5 parochial, dis-
pensaries, sick poor institution (1794) ; St.
Mark's eye and ear hosp. (1745), national eye
infirmary, Claremont deaf and dumb institn.
(1810) and the juvenile association branch for
100, catholic deaf and dumb institn., Simp-
son's hosp. for blind and gouty (1780-1),
Molyneux (1815, with a chapel) and Richmond
blind asylums; Richmond penitentiary (1837)
and chapel, Magdalen asylum (1766) and chapel,
Dub. female penitentiary ; Bow St. and general,
asylums for women ; Westmoreland female Lock
ho'sp. (1792); children's hosp. (1822), provost
hosp. (?), hosp. of incurables for 92 (1744),
Maison de Sante (1816) for convalescents, cow-
pox institn. (1804) ; St. Patrick's hosp. for lunatics,
found, by Swift, b. 1757, Richmond county lun.
asyl. (1815) ; mendicity institn., N. and S. Union
poor houses ; about 20 religious and benevolent
societies, connected with various bodies, some
having their head quarters at Society house ; united
service, Kildare St., Sackville St., friendly bro-
thers, reform, Connaught, Stephen's Green, law,
chess, and yacht, clubs. - Rates (1845) : grand
jury cess for public bldgs., roads, charities 31,780/.,
paving, lighting, 44,169/., police 21,412/., wide
streets 7178/., ministers' money 7285/., pipe-water
10,114/. ; poor rates (1847) 12d. and lod. in the
; charities, about 43,000/. Livings (Du. G. K.)
are : St. Andrew Vic. val. 586/., patr. Ld. Chan.,
Archbp. etc., church, oval, 80 ft. by 60, reb.
1793-1807, in a good pointed style, by F. Johnston,
for 22,000/., with steeple 230 ft. high, old tombs,
and oak carvings from Trin. Coll. ; St. Anne Vic.
493/., Archbp., ch. b. 1707, the burial-place of
Mrs. Hemans and Rev. C. Otway ; St. Audeon's
or Owen's, 116/., Archbp., ch. o'ld, pointed, and
partly ruined, with effigies of Rowland Fitz-
Eustace (1455), and others some of wood; St.
Bridget Cur. 2631., Dean and Chap. St. Patrick's,
ch. b. 1684; St. Catherine Rect. 380/., Earl of
Meath, ch. highest in city, b. 1761 by Jno.
Smith, with doric front 92 ft. broad, and mon. of
Whitelaw, a rector, who wrote part of Walsh's
Hist, of Dublin ; ' St. George Cur. 6631., Eccles'
family, ch. 92 by 84 ft., in ionic style, with
steeple 200 ft. high, and portico 90 ft. wide, by
Johnston ; St. James Vic. 367/., Earl of Meath ;
St. John Our. 181/., D. and Chap. Christ Ch. ; St.
Luke Cur. 10G/., D. and Chap. St. Patrick's, ch.
b. 1708; St. Mark Vic. 371/., Ld. Chan., Archbp.,
etc. ; St. Mary Rect. 1029/., D. and Chap. Christ
Ch. ; St. Miciian Rect. 7201., same patr., ch.
large, cruciform, mostly reb. 1824, was the only
one N. of Liffey till 1697 ; St. Michael Cur. 20-21.,
D. and Chap. St. Patrick's, ch. reb. 1815, with
a high tower; St. Nich. within and without Curs.



96/. and 240/., same patr., latter ch. is the
restored N. transept of cathedral (the other b.
1707) ; St. Paul Rect. 308/., D. and Chap. Christ
Ch. ; St. Peter with St. Kevin Rect. (held by
archdn.) 2378/., Archbp., ch. in Aungier St.
very large, cruciform ; St. Thomas Rect. 7151.,
D. and Chap. Christ Ch., ch. 1758-62, by Jno.
Smith ; St. Werburgh Rect. 265/., Archbp., ch.
reb. 1759 on site of that in which Ware the an-
tiquary was buried; St. Matthias Cur. /.,
Trustees; St. Stephen Cur. 100/., Archdn.; Ma-
riner's chapel Cur. 1., Trustees ; also Bethesda,
Baggot St., Free church, George's, Swift's Alley,
and Trinity, proprietary chapels, in the patr. of
Trustees, with 11 or 12 others attached to schools,
asylums, etc. Holy Trinity or Christ Ch. cathe-
dral, which takes precedence as the older one,
was found, about 1038 as a monastery by Sitric
the Dane and Bp. Donat, made an austin priory
1163 by Abp. O'Toole, a deanery 1541, and is now
held in commendam with Kildare, was the place
where a synod met 1185 which Giraldus attended,
where the impostor L. Simnel was crowned 1487,
where parl. met 1559, and Jas. II. had mass per-
formed, is in a mixed norman and early eng.
style (1170-80), partly burnt 1283, repaired 1512,
and lately restored, is cruciform, 233 ft. by 25
to 38 (or 90 through the transepts), including
a tower 1283, a choir reb. 1349-62, S. transept
norman door, mixed norman crypt and old font,
and has effigies of Strongbow (restored 1569) and
his cousin Eva, Ld. Chan. Bowes, Rob. Earl of
Kildare, F. Agard, etc. The chapter includes a
dean, precentor, chancellor, archdeacon, 3 pre-
bendaries, 6 vicars choral ; and a gram, school is
attached. St. Patrick's, or the archbp.'s, cathe-
dral, begun 1190 by Abp. Comyn on site of St.
Patrick's church, restored 1362 (after a fire) by
Archbp. Minot, dissolved by Edw. VI. and used
as a law court 1546-54, is much decayed, but in
course of restoration, stands 300 ft. by 67 (or 1 57
through the transepts), and comprises a ruined
N. porch, buttresses, Abp. Minot's NW. tower
(1370) 221 ft. high, including a spire put up
1749, chapter ho. in S. transept, St. Nicholas ch.
in N. transept, lady chapel, and traces of others,
some good windows, the stalls and banners of
knights of St. Patrick, and mons. of Swift (with
a bust) and his ' Stella,' Archbps. Tregury (1471),
Smythe, Jones, and Marsh, also of 1st Earl of
Cork's wife (very large, with several effigies),
Schomberg (placed there by Swift), who was
killed at the Boyne, and brasses of Sir H. Wallop,
Fitton, etc. Near it are the deanery, with a
portrait of Swift by Bindon ; the old palace, now
a police barrack; and a gram, school. St. Mi-
chan's rom. cath. chapel is in the pointed style ;
Conception ch., a large grecian doric, which cost
40,000/. ; St. Andrew, doric and cruciform, 160 ft. by

150, b. 1832-7. D.Casth, the official residence

of the lord-lieutenant, and much modernised, is at
Cork hill, on the site of Meyler Fitz-Henry's (b.
1205, and completed by Archbp. Hen. de Londres),
was made the viceroy's seat 1560 by lord-dep.
Sussex (before which it was at the archbp.'s
palace, Kilmainham, etc.), and includes, the chief
court, 280 ft. by 130, of brick faced with stone
(entered by a gate with "Justice" and "Forti-
tude" on it), which has the viceregal palace,
presence chamber and throne, council chamb.
(with portraits of viceroys), secretary and war
offices, St. Patrick's fine hall or ball-room 82 ft.
by 41 and 38 high (with paintings by Waldre)
the E. court 250 by 220, with the treasury, ord-
nance (40,000 stand of arms, etc.), and other
offices, chapel royal 73 by 35, reb. 1814 by



606



DUB



Johnston in pointed style (with carved roof and
heads of kings, etc. stained arms of viceroys and
prelates), and the Birmingham or record tower
(the oldest part, b. 1411, but restored), where the
" Down Survey " of Ireland made 1657 by Sir

W. Petty, and other relics, are kept. Trinity

College, with a park of 20 acres (almost identified
with the university), was found. 1591 by Q. Eliz.
on the site of All Hallows monastery, is governed
under Laud's statutes of 1637 by" a chancellor,
vice-chan., provost, vice-provost, etc. has 7 senior
and 27 junior fellows (who are now licensed to
marry), 70 scholars, about 1600 students (mostly
non-resident) in 3 classes, as fellow commoners,
pensioners, sizars, and the professorships are :
regius divinity (found.)-1607, reg. civil law-1668,
reg. feudal andenglish law-1761, reg. greek-1761,
Erasmus Smith's orator}'- 1724, Er. Smith's nat.
philosophy- 1724, Er. Smith's mathematics-1762,
Er. Smith's modern hist.-1762, Er. Smith's
hebrew-1762, Andrew's astronomy-1783, Abp.
Whateley's polit. economy-1832, moral philoso-
phy-1837, biblical greek-1838, irish language
-1840, reg. physic-1837, anatomy and surgery
-1785, chemistry-1783, botany-1785, geology
-1844, civil engineering-1842, mineralogy, music,
applied chemistry, etc., Queen's modern lan-
guages-1777, also the Donellan, Bp. Berkeley's
greek-1846, and Abp. King's divinity-1729, lec-
turers, with a catechist-1607, and numismatist
-1840, besides schools of physic (1840) and
engineering ( 1842) ; the buildgs. (restored by
Chambers) consist of three quadrangles, hav-
ing a corinthian front to College Green 308 ft.
(opposite the statue of Will. III.) and N. front
270, the 1st or Parliament square, 560ft. by
270, has the chapel of 80 ft. (by Chambers),
hall 70 by 35, museum of irish and other anti-
quities 60 by 40, theatre 80 by 40, by Cham-
bers (with portraits of Q. Eliz. Bp. Berkeley,
Swift, Ld. Clare, etc. and statue by Hewetson
of Prof. Baldwin, who left 80,000/. to the univer-
sity), refectory 75 by 35 (with portraits of Grattan,
Flood, Burgh, Abp. Cox, etc.), Library sq. 288
by 194, has a noble room 210 by 40 with 150,000
vols., including Usher's books and MSS., the
Fagel library, copy of the Brehon laws,Brian Bora's
oak harp 32 in. high, Mary Q. of Scots' ' Sallust '
of 15th cent, with her name, and Q. Victoria's in
it, ' Book of Kells ' with the Queen's and Pr.
Albert's names, Wickliffe's MSS., busts, etc., also
the Fellows' garden behind, with the magnetical
observatory, ' Botany bay ' sq. has the labo-
ratory, anatomy theatre, provost's house designed
by Ld. Burlington, printing office (with a good
done portico), etc. schools of physic and patho-
logy ; the astronomical observatory at Dunsink
found. 1785 by Provost Andrews, is united to the
college. The prizes, etc. are : Dr. Downes's di-
vinity-1797, Primate's hebrew-1794, Bp. Law's
mathematical-1796, Madden's fellowship-1798,
Bp. Berkeley's greek-1752, vice-chancellor's, di-
vinity professor's, Abp. King's divinity-1836,
Elrington theolog., pol. economy, mod. lang., hist.,
medicine, bib. greek, irish, botany, commencement
gold medal, moderatorship med., St. Columba
scholarships for preaching in irish (5 of 30/.),
Bedell scholarships for do. (4 of 20/.), education
commissioners' royal scholarships (30 of 25t to
50/.), the Lloyd, and Academic Associatn. exhi-
bitions. It returns two members by the Reform
bill (in place of one before), with 1780 electors
who have graduated M. A. or higher, holds the
patronage of 21 livings, and among its students
has produced Usher, Berkeley, Bedell, Chandler,
Congreve, Parnell, Farquhar, Southern, Delany,



DUB

Swift, Goldsmith, Burke, Grattan, Flood, O'Con-
nell, Moore, Lloyd, Hamilton, M'Cullagh, etc.
The ' Queen's University of Ireland,' estab. 1850,
for the 3 colleges at Cork, Belfast, Galway, is
under a chancellor, and 17 members of senate ;
one was attempted by Abp. Leek 1311 and Abp.
Bicknor 1320, and by a bull of Pope Sixtus VI.

1475. Stone quays 2 \ m. (S. side) and If m.

long, face the river, which is narrow, looks like a
canal, is apt to flood in winter, and runs through
the city for 3 m. ; the bridges (beginning W.) are :
Sarah br. (1791) of one arch 104ft. span, 38 wide,

King's iron br. (1827) 100 ft. span, near S. West,
rail, station, Barrack br. (the oldest) 4-arched,
close to a new gothic gate, where a battle was
fought 14th cent., Queen's br. (1768) in place of
Arran's, 3-arch, 140 ft., Whitworth br. (1816),
3-arch, in place of Ormond br. (reb. 1428, and
swept away 1802), Richmond br. (1813-6),
near Four Courts, 3-arch'd, 220 ft. long, 52 wide,

Essex br. (b. 1676, reb. 1753-6), 5-arch'd, 250
ft. long, Wellington iron br. (1816), 140 ft,
span, Carlisle br. (1791-4), 3-arch'd, 210 ft. by
48, with a fine view of city, and Conciliation hall
near it. D. Harbour, of 4 sq. m., in the hands of
the Ballast Board (with income in '43 of 37,1 74/.),
and 53 pilots under them, has been so much
improved by dredging, and the making of Clon-
tarf breakwater, that it has 11 to 24 ft. according
to the tide, and admits 900-ton ships to the
quays. Near the custom ho., on the N. side of
the river, are St. George's dock, of 8 acres, made
1821, with 16 ft. water, and warehouses, cellars,
etc., a dock made 1816, 320 ft. by 250, and
another; lower down are Royal Canal docks
(1796), Halkin's graving slip, on N. quav, near
the Ballast office, made 1833 for 15,000^ and a
light which leads over the bar. On the S. bank
are Grand Canal docks for 100 sail, into which the
R. Dodder falls ; thence a wall or pier runs 3 \ m.
E. past Pigeon Ho. fort and dock, etc. to Poolbeg
light, which is 68 ft. high, and shows 13 m. ;
the river's mouth close to this has 10 ft., with
6 ft. on the bar. There is a steady increase in
the shipping trade. In 1846, 451 sail of 41,531
tons (279 being under 50 t. each, and 51 built in
the colonies), and 46 steamers of 10,901 1. (4 under
50 t.), belonged to the port, which has Kings-
town, Howth, Balbriggan, Arklow, Wicklow, for
sub-ports ; and the tonnage Inwards and Out-
wards, ineluding repeated voyages, was ' coast-
wise' 5051 of 427,581, and 1577 of 127,878 t.
(besides 897 steamers of 247,139, and 904 of
248,224 t.), from and to 'colonies,' as W. In-
dies, N. America, etc., 136 of 43,368, and 134 of
41,926 t., from and to 'foreign ports' 118 of
11,841, and 63 of 9200 t (besides 84 foreigners
of 16,783, and 81 of 16,533 t.) ; total customs
1,062,4377., the trade being in coffee, E. and W.
Indian sugar, tea, tobacco, Canada timber, french
and Spanish wines (a staple article), provisions,
grain, etc. Excise collection ('49) 352,193/. ;
post-office revenue 56,829/., or total of 750 offices
197,231Z. In 1848, of 45.234 taken into custody,
14,256 were discharged, 30,978 convicted (1039
being under 15 yrs., 9706 drunk., 16,592 not able
to read or write), of whom 1792 were sent to a
jury, and 1067 sentenced. The Royal Canal,
92 m. long, from Longford, comes round the X.
side of city to the LifFey, near the custom ho.,
with a basin off m. to ho." of industry, etc. ; Grand
Canal, 95 m. from Ballinasloe, runs along the S.
side to the docks nearly opposite the above, and
has a branch of f m. and basin to foundling hosp. ;
passengers, grain, potatoes, turf, stone, brick,
manure, etc. are conveyed. Some traces of the



DUB



DUB



city walls, which were about 1 J m. in circuit, are
seen at Hoey's Court and of St. Mary's abbey,
founded about 900, and given to Jas. earl of Kil-
dare, in a sugar house ; but nothing is left of the
following : St. Thomas abbey (Hen. II.), found,
by Will. Fitz-Andelm, and given to the Braba-
zons, St. J. Baptist priory (12th cent.), by
Alured de Palmer, St. Mary de Hogges nun-
nery, f. 1166, and Allhallows priory, f. 1166 by
K. Dennot on site of Trin. Col., St. Saviour's
cistertian friary, f. 1202-18 by Will. Mareshall, on
site of Four Courts, and given to the Ormondes,
St. Francis monastery, f. 1235, Holy Trin.
austin friary, f. 1259, on "site of Theatre Royal,
a white friary, f. 1248 by Sir T. Bagot, St.
Stephen's Hosp., on site of Mercer's, Steyne
hosp., f. 1220 by Hen. de Londres, Dean Allen's
hosp., f. 1504, or of St. Olave's abbey, Wite-
sc-lian friary, St. Mary les Dames nunnery, and a
Templars' preceptory, which are of doubtful foun-
dation. Marsh's old gate in Kevin St., stands
near the horse police barrack ; a british kistvaen
was found 1646 ; a roman cath. chapel occupies
the site of Smock Alley playhouse ; and in Tho-
mas St. is the house where Lord E. Fitzgerald

was arrested 1798. Phoenix Park (properly

Fionn uisge, or ' fair water,' spring, which is there)
to the W. contains 1753 acres, is 7 m. round, and
has the Viceregal Lodge, chief and under secre-
tary's houses, ordnance survey depot, Star fort,
magazine (or Wharton's Folly) and military in-
firmary, Hibernian school and chapel for soldiers'
children, constabulary barracks, zoological gar-
dens, Wellington testimonial 205 ft. high, Ches-
terfield pillar (1745), with a 'phrcnix' on the
top, and a cromlech opened 1838. In the suburbs
are Ringsend, Irishtown, Sandymount, Balls-
bridge, Woodlands and its strawberry bed, Donny-
brook (fair, Aug. 26.), Ranelagh (where a nun-
nery stands in the old gardens), Rathmines,
Harold's Cross cemetery, Dolphin's Barn, Kil-
miiinham, Island Bridge, Glasnevin gardens
(which the Queen visited 1849), etc., Drum-
condra, Clontarf, Finglass (a living held by Par-
nell and Dr. Walsh), Hampstead, where Steele, and
Delville, where Delaney and Swift, lived. Round
towers are seen at Clondalkin, Swords, Lusk,
Rathmichael ; old castles at Howth, Castleknock,
Lucan, Leixlip (near the salmon leap), Mala-
hide ; cromlechs, etc. at Kilternan, Shanganagh,
Howth, Mt. Venus, Druid's Glen ; pillar stones at
Glanismole, Bally na Craig, and New Grange,
near the great cairn, St. Doolagh's old church

at Balgriftin. Synods were held here 1177, '92,

and 1217 ; convocations 1614 and '34 ; parls.
1333, 1408, '10, '13, '16, '20-1, 1559, 1613, 1661,
1729, etc. up to the Union. The plague raged
1204, 1348, '61, '70, '83, 1439, '47, '66, '70, '89,
1525, '38 (sweating sickness), '75, 1604, '50 ; the
cholera 1832 and '49. The Liffey was frozen over
1338, 1739-40 ; left dry for 2 min. 1452, and over-
flowed in the storm of 1839. The first mayor was
T.Cusack, 1409, the first ' lord' m. Sir D. Belling-
ham, 1665 ; 6 muskets were first brought from
Germany 1439; claret was first imported 1490 ;
english liturgy first read 1550, and printed 1551,
along with the bible, being the oldest printed
books ; potatoes first brought from Santa Fe"
(Mexico) by Jno. Hawkins 1565; first map of
the city 1605; tanistry and gavelkind custom
abolished by decision of king's bench 1605 ; first
post estab. (Ch. I.) ; first theatre 1661, on site of
St. Michael's rom. cath. church ; first newspaper,
4 Pue's Occurrences,' pub. 1700 ; lit with im-
proved oil lamps 1785. with gas 1825; first
sund. school estab. 1786 ; first mail coach went



out 1790, before which letters by ship for Cahir-
civeen, etc. went sometimes to America and back

before delivery ; first steam engine set up 1791,

and first steamer from Dublin 1816. The knights
of St. Patrick were founded and first installed
1783; delegates for parl. reform met in Rotunda



Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 169 of 293)