Copyright
James A Sharp.

A new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) online

. (page 177 of 293)
Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 177 of 293)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


fellowships attached, and 86 students on the books
(1841) ; and has on the establishment 3 professors
of divinity, classics, and mathematics, 5 readers
in hebrew*, law, history etc., nat. philosophy, che-
mistry, 4 tutors, registrar, librarian, observer and
treasurer. Durh. P. L. Union, contains the city
as above, the pars. etc. of Brancepeth*, Brandon,
Broom, Cassop, Coxhoe, Hett, Kimblesworth,
Pittington*, Quarrington, Shadforth, Sherburn,
Sherburn Hospital*, Shincliffe*, Sunderland
Bridge, Tudhoe, Willington, Stockley; acres
41,467, pop. 27,919, cases relieved (yr. 1846-7)
1321 (out-door 1168, expend. 24157., prop, rated
101,5107. Sup. Registry comprises the city and
those places marked * above, with Croxdale, Eb-
chester, Esh, Lanchester, Medomsley, Muggles-
wick, Satley, Tanfield, Crook, and Hemlingford-
Row ; pop. 38,853 + 1583 ; births (1845) 1766 (822
being females, 108 illegit.), deaths 962, mar-
riages 339, of which 259 persons signed with
marks : 200 deaths from cholera in 1849. The New
County Court district includes the Registry, with
those of Chester-le-Street and Lanchester (ex-
cept Benfieldside, Billingside, Butsfield, Corside,
Greencroft, Healyfield, Ivestone, Medomsley, Eb-
chester, Muggleswick, and Cold Rowley, which
go to Shotley Bridge). The Excise district in-
cludes Durham, S. Shields, Hexham, Haltwhistle,
Alston, Wolsingham, Barnard Castle, Bishop
Auckland, Sunderland, and in 1835 had 63 officers,
and collected 245,2557. (each collector's round be-
ing 63 m.), of which 182,317/. was on glass,



DUR

17,7047. on paper, 26,9357. on malt, 13,3687. on
licenses, 35107. on bricks, 13747. on auctions, etc.,
and the total no. of traders (5863), included 1716
dealers in wine and spirits, 2251 in tobacco, 1404
in tea, 324 brewers and maltsters, 77 makers of
bricks, 12 of paper. Mkt. D. Sat. Fairs, 29-31
Mar. (horses), Whit. Tu. Sat. before 13 May, 15
Sept. Sat. before 23 Nov., cattle, sheep, etc. Races,
May, at Elvet, on a 2 m. course, and two yr. old
co. of | m.

DURHAM, OLD ( ) | m. E. of the above, the
site of the old saxon town, is opposite Maiden
Castle, a roman camp on the Wear, where altars
have been found.

Durham (35) near Roscommon, Mid. Roscomn.
E. Corr, Esq. igT D., or Derkam, Park (7) H m.
NNW. of Barnet, NE. Middlesex, seat of J.
Trotter, Esq., on site of the old seat of the Der-
hams, Frowyks, Austens, etc.

Durie House, 1 m. N. of Leven, S. Fife, near
some ironworks, C. Christie, Esq., formerly of
Lord Register Durie, and other Gibsons.

Durin Head (98) 8m. SW. of Donegal, S.
Donegal.

DURINISII, or DUIRINISH, par. in Skye, NW.
Inverness. 23m. NW. of Broadford-211, between
lochs Snizort and Follart, includes Waternish,
Stein, and Issav. Size 17 m. by 13, rising about
2000 ft. ( ?) at "Hallivails hills with kelp, fish,
otters, whales, etc. on the coast ; pop. 4983 + 22,
gaelic-speaking : real prop. 50277. ; for poor 2947.
Living (presb. Skye) val. 1587., patr. Macleod, of
Macleod and Dunvegan Castle. There are re-
mains of chapels, and danish forts about 30 ft.
round within two walls.

DURISDEAR par. 6 m. N. of Penpoint-66, A'".
Dumfries, on R. Nith, under the Lowthers, in-
cluding Carronbridge, belonged to Glasgow cathe-
dral, and has a ruined fort called Deers Castle at
\Vallpath pass, on the roman way from Carlisle.
Size 8 m. by 5, hilly pasture, with stone, traces of
coal; pop. 1445, decreasing, of vil. 107; real
prop. 82207. ; for poor 3757. Living (presb. Pen-
point) vaL 2217., patr. Duke of Buccleugh, of
Drumlanrig Castle, which was the seat of Duke
of Queensberry, whose mon. by Roubiliac, is in the
church. Enoch Linn's cave on the Carron.

DURLEIGH par. (20) Andersfield hund. Mid.
Somerset. 2 m. WSW. of Bridgwatcr-139, on a
branch of R. Parret. Acres 480 ; pop. 143 ; poor
r. 977. (Bridgw. U.); real prop. 11967. Living,
a don. Cur. (Ba. and W.) val. 227., patr. W. Good-
den, Esq.

Dttrleston Point and Say (16) 2 m. S. of Swan-
age bay, SE. Dorset.

DUKLEY par. (11) Lower Bishop's W T altham
hund. Mid. Hants. 3m. W. of Bishop's Waltham
-65, contains Mincingfield. Acres 4290 ; pop.
425 + 6 ; poor r. 2057, (Droxford U.) ; real prop.
22557. Living, a Cur. with Upham. D. Hall
Farm, 1 m. NE. igp DCRLEY tythg. (11) Eling
par. W. Hants. 5 m. W. of Southampton-74. Pop.
109 ; real prop. 4857. ^ Durlei/ (14) 5 m. SE.
of Marlborough, E. Wilts. Hon. Miss Hill.

Durn Water, runs 8 m. NNE. to the sea, N.
Banff, at Portsoy, rising under D. Hill, which
has serpentine and quartz in it.

DURMDALE, or DERXDALE, UPPER and LOWER
(55) 6m. NNW. of Hereford-134, Mid. Hereford.

P. DURNESS par. 13 m. NYV. of Grubmore-232,
NW. Suthrld. between Whitenhead and Cape
Wrath light, including Strathmore near L. Eri-
boll, and Far-out head, near Kyle of D., contained
Tongue and Eddradu'llis up "to 1724, and came
from the Bps. of Caithness to the Morrisons and
Mack ays. Size 15 m. by 13, hilly pasture (on



DUR

limestone), with salmon in the streams, red trout
in L. Borley, kelp, fish, seals, etc. along the rocky
coast ; pop. 110!) ; real prop. 17451. ; for poor231Z.
Living (presb. Tongue) val. 158/., patr. Crown;
church, has an old mon. of M'Kay of Davoch.
Doun, a gaelic poet, was a native. Dundorna-
ghil is a danish fort; Srno cave, 300 ft. by 200
high, has a good echo; and off shore are the
Stags rock, and (15 m.) Nun shoal.

DURNFOKD par. (14) Amesbury hund. SE.
Wilts. 2 m. SW. of Amesbury-77, on R. Avon,
near Ogbury camp, contains LITTLE D. hnilt.
(pop. 67) Xetton, Newtown, and Sutterton. Acres
3770 ; pop. 533 + 5 ; poor r. 296'. (Amesb. U.) ;
real prop. 4429Z. St. Andrew Vic. (Sal.) val.
131/., patr. Bishop; church, has early norman
doorways and figured saxon font, with tombs of
the Yonges of Little D. House, now seat of E.
llinxman, Esq. ; D. House, Miss Harris.

Durium Amnem, Ad, of the Romans, is near
TOTNESS, Devon, on li. Dart. Durnomagus, is
CASTOR, Korthmptn. Durnovaria, or Durocina, is
DORCHESTER, Dorset, near Maiden Cast, or Du-
rinutn. Durobrivis, or Durobnoae (from dwr,
water), is CHESTERTON, or WATER NEWTON,
near Ermine St. and the Nen, NE. Northmptn. ;
but by some fixed at Old Lynn and Dornford.
Durobrivis, or Duroprovae, a stipendiary town,
is ROCHESTER, Kent, on Watling St. Duroco-
brivae, is D UNSTABLE, or Maiden Bower, on Wat-
ling St. Beds. ; by some fixed at Berkhampstead.
Durocornovium, or Corinium, is CIRENCESTER, on
Fosseway, Gloucest. Durolevum, is Stone Chapel,
near OSPRINGE, Kent. Duroliponte, is GODMAN-
CHESTER, Hunts, on Ermine St. and Via Devana.
Durolitum, is ROMFORD, or near it, Essex.

P. DUROR q. s. par. in Appin and Lismore par.
N. Argyll. 8 m. WSW. of Glencoe, on D. Water,
which falls into L. Linnhe. Pop. 1692. Living
(presb. Lorn) val. 120/., patr. Crown.

Durotriges, were the people of Dorsetshire;
the same as the Morini. Durovernum, is CANTER-
BURY, Kent.

Durrani ( ) near Bideford, NW. Devon. J. S.
Ley, Esq.

DURRINGTON par. (9) Brightford hund. Bram-
ber rape, <S W. Sussex, 2 m. N W. of Worthing
-56, contains Coate. Acres 740; pop. 191 + 3;
poor r. 94Z. (E. Preston Incorp.) ; real prop. 2047/.
Church, in ruins, gif DURRINGTOX par. (14)
Amesbury hund. SE. Wilts. 2 m. N. of Amesbury
-77, on R. Avon, near Longwalls british camp.
Acres 2830 ; pop. 465 ; poor r. 251A (Amesb. U.) ;
real prop. 2700/. ; charities 11. Living, a Cur.
(Sal.) val. 100/., patr. Dean and Chap. Winton.

DCRRIS par. 7 m. NW. of Stonehaven-94,
On R. Dee, under tho Grampians, was called
Duires, etc. Size 8 m. by 5, or 17,000 acres, ris-
ing 1020 ft. at Cairnmonearn, with Red-beard
and other iron springs ; pop. 1109 + 7 ; real prop.
3773/. ; for poor 158/. Living (presb. Aberd.)
val. lf>8/., patr. A. Mactier, Esq., of D. House.
There was a fort at Castlehill.

P. M. DURROW par. (29, 35) Clannallagh bar.
S. Queen's Co. and (4) Galway bar. N. Kilkenny,
a petty scss. and police station on R. Erskin.
Acres 5559; pop. 2977, of vil. 1318+2; houses
239, with mkt. house, 2 chapels, dispensary, malt
house, corn mill. Living, a Vic. (Os. F. L.) val.
143/., patr. Dean and .Chap, of St. Canice cathe-
dral. Castle D. Visct. Ashbrooke, whence he takes
title of baron. Some castle ruins are seen. Mkt.
D. Frid. Fairs, 2 Feb. 4 Mar. 16 Apr. 21 May, 3
July, 20 Aug. 8 Oct. 19 Nov.

DURROW par. (38, 40) Moycashel bar. S.
Westmeath, and (8, 9, 16-7) Ballycowau, King's



DUR 633

Co. 3 m. N. of Tullamore-59, had a monastery
found. 546 by St. Columb, and an austin priory
by the M'Brenans, which Q. Elizabeth gave to
the Herberts. Acres 9773, with limestone ; pop.
2922, decreasing. Living, a Cur. (Meath) val.
76/., patr. Earl of Norbury, of D. Abbey, through
the Herberts, of whom the old church has tombs ;
near it is St. Columb's cross and well, and remains
of forts.

DURRUS par. (118, etc.) Bantry and W. West-
Carbery bars. S. Cork, 5 m. SW. of Bantry-201,
a petty sess. station, on the bay, with an old pillar
cross. Acres 9138, with mountain and waste ; an.
val. 3716Z. ; pop. 4483, decreasing. Living, a Vic.
(Ck. R. C.) val. 410/., pair. Bishop. O'Donovan's
Cove, T. O'Donovan, Esq.

Dursey Isld. (129) 10 m. W. of Castletown,
S W. Cork, between Kenmare and Bantry bays,
where the French landed 1790, contains 754 acres
of mountain land, belonging to Earl of Bantry.

P. M. DUHSLEY par. (35) Upper Berkeley
hund. W. Gloucest. 14 m. SSW. of Gloucester,
110 from London, near Bris. and Birm. rail,
a petty sessions, polling, and election town,
under the Coteswolds, and once a boro' governed
by a praepositus or bailiff, containing Wood-
mancote cur. belonged to the BerkeTeys, who
had a castle here, and came through the Can-
telupes, Chedders and others to the Estcourts.
Acres 13GO, with a puff-stone quarry, many fossils,
and Broad Well spring whence the name Dwr
ley or water meadow ; pop. 2931, in the cloth
trade, as in Leland's time, who calls it " a
praty clothinge towne ; " houses 586, many old,
with 2 chapels, mkt. house, 18 fulling mills, 2
banks, almshouses, dissenters' school (35/.), and
Union p. house; poor r. 1513/. on 4947Z. ; real
prop. 8939Z. ; charities 179Z., of which about 25/.
for Sunday schools, etc. St. James Red. (Gl. and
Br.) val. with Woodmancote 191/., patr. Bishop;
church, large, later eng. with Tanner's chapel,
and arms of the Berkeleys, etc. Bp. R. Fox of
Henry VIII.'s time, was a native (d. 1528) ; and
it gives title of visct. to Earl Berkeley. Near Stan-
combe park, P. B. Pumell, Esq. is an old her-
mitage, ifc D. DEANERY, archdy. of Glouc.
dioc. of Glouc. and Brist. includes the bene-
fices in Up. Berkeley hund. with Frampton etc.,
Hill cur., Kingswood c., Lasboro' rect., N. Nibley c.,
Thornburyc. Dursl. P. L. Union, contains the
pars. etc. of Cam, Coaley, Dursley, Nibley (North),
Nymphsfield, Owlpen, Slimbridge, Stinchcombe,
Uley, Wotton Underedge in Glouc. Kingswood in
Wilts.; acres 26,270, pop. 16,621, cases relieved
(yr. 1846-7)2602 (out-door 2206), expend. 80 15/.,
prop, rated 47,308/. Sup. Registry comprises the
same; pop. 16,621, decreasing: 6 deaths from
cholera in 1849. The New County Court district
includes the Registry, with Berkeley sub-district,
and Crompall, Kingscote, Newington-Bagpath,
Ozleworth. Mkt. D. Th. Fairs, 6 May, 4
Dec.

DURSTOJJ par. (21) N. Petherton hund. Mid.
Somerset. 4 m. NE. of Taunton-141, near Gt. West,
rail, has a priory and preceptory at BUCKLAND-
SORORUM. Acres 980 ; pop. 267 + 4 ; poor r. 90f.
(Taunt. U.); real prop. 23767. St. John don.
Cur. (Ba. and W.) val. 20/., patr. Rev. R.
Gray.

Durward, near Lenthrathen, Forfar. was the
seat of the Durwards.

P. DURWKSTON par. (15) Pimperne hund. N.
Dorset. 2 m. NW. of Blandford-103, on R. Stour,
contains Kuighton. Acres 1780; pop. 468 + 5;
poor r. 292/. (Blandf. U.) ; real prop. 16GU St.
Nicholas Rect. (Sal.) vol. with Bryanston 53S/.,



G34



DCR



pair. Lord Portman, who reb. the church 1850,
in early eng. style, after P. Hardwick's designs.

Duryard ( ) 1 m. N. of Exeter, SE. Devon.
C. Cross, Esq.

DUSTON par. (53) Nobot tie- Grove hund. Mid.
Northamptn. 2 in. W. of Northampton-66, has a
few remains of an austin abbey found, before 1112
by Will. Peverell. Acres 1/60; pop. 687+8;
poor r. 3471. (Northmptn. U.) ; real prop. 4975Z. ;
charities 22J. St. Luke Vic. (Pet.) val. 159Z.,
patr. Viscount Melbourne.

Dutch Sank, in North Sea, about 20 leagues E.
of Peterhead, Aberdeen, has 25 to 30 fath. on, and
50 to 60 off it.

Dutchman's Cap, or Back Isld., one,of the Trehi-
nish, W. of Mull, Argyll.

DUTHKL par. Inverness, and S. Elgin, 21 m. S.
of Nairn, 136 from Edinbro', on Rs/Bulnan and
Spey, includes Rothiemurcus near Cairngorm, and
was called Glenchearnich " heroes glen," because
they drove away the Cummings. Size 20 m. by



17, hilly, with wood, game, etc. ; pop. 1769, gaelic-
speakiug ; real prop. '26741. ; for poor 343Z. Living
(presb. Abernethv) val. 2301., patr. Earl of Sea-
field of Castle Grant.

DUTHIES vil. Glenbervie par. Mid. Kincardine.
6 m. W. of Stonehaven-94.

BUTTON tnshp. (80) Gt. Budworth par. N.
Cheshire, 5 m. NW. of North wich- 174, near Gd.
Junct. rail, (which has a viad. over D. Bottom of
20 arches, each 63 ft. span, 60 high) Trunk canal
and R. Weaver, was Duntune of ' Bomesdy.' and
belonged to the Buttons, whose jurisdiction over
the minstrels and pipers of the county is still
recognised in acts of parl. Acres 2550 ; pop. 361
+ 3 ; poor r. 1531. (Runcorn U.) ; real prop. 3351/.
D. Hall, was built by the Buttons 1513. Gives
title of baron to Buke of Hamilton, igp BUTTON
tnshp. ( ) Ribchester par. Mid. Lancash. 9 m.
NE. of Preston-217, on R. Ribble. Pop. 563 + 7 ;
real prop. 1797/. D. Hal/, m. N.

BUTTON-Y-BRAN, B.-CACCA, and B.-BIFFRITH,
tnshps. (73) Holt par. E. Denbigh, near Holt. Pop.
49, 110, and 179; poor r. 717. (Wrexham U.) ;
real prop. 2257/.

Duwhat, at Kirkoswald, Ayr. where Burns
lived in his youth.

BUXBURY tnshp. (89) Standish par. S. Lancash.
2 m. S. of Chorley-208, near the rail, and canal.
Acres 1090; pop." 371 + 18; poor r. 94A (Chorley
U.) ; real prop. 4496i, of which 1200/. on mines.
D. Hall, F. L. Standish, Esq.

BUXFORD limit (13) Ilinton-Waldridge par.
NW. Berks. 6 in. NE. of Faringdon-C8, on R. Isis,
near the ferry. Pop. 65.

P. BUXFORD par. (47) Whittlesford hund. S.
Cambridge. 5 m. W. of Linton-48, on Cambridge
rail, and R. Cam. Acres 2982 ; pop. 763 + 9 ; poor
r. 514/. (Lintou U.) ; real prop. 3885Z. ; charities
301., of which King's school, etc. 26Z., and Bedell's
for " hen-ings for poor in Lent " 31. St. Peter Rect.
(Ely) val. 429/., patr. Ch. Ch. Coll. ; St. John Vic.
169?., Clare Hall, church, with norman chancel
arch and doorway.

Dwarfie Stone, at Hoy, Orkney Islds. 32 ft. by
16, and 7 high, was hollowed into three rooms,
by some one who lived in it.

Dwarrick Head, N. side of Bunnet bay, N.
Caithness.

Dwelly Farm (6) 5 m. SE. of Godstone, SE.
Surrey, on Broad Mead Water.

BWY-AFON tnshp. (79) Llangerniew par. NW.
Denbigh. 6 m. NE. of Llanr\vst-217. Pop. 209.

BWYFFRWD tnshp. (74) Pennant par. N. Mont-
gomery. 8 m. N\V. of Llanfyllin-179. Pop. 90.

BWY-GYFYI.CIII par. (78) Uchaf hund. NE.



DYF

Carnarvon. 2 m. W. of Conway-223, on the coast

and Ilolyhd. rail, contains Isa-pen (Isa and Ucha,

i.e. lower and upper), and Ucha-pen (Isa and

Ucha), under Pen-maen bach hill. Pop. 709 + 26,

i some in copper works ; poor r. 109Z. (Conw. U.) ;

! real prop. 2354Z. St. Gwynin Vic. (Ban.) val.

i 125/., patr. H. and L. Eytbn, Esqs. Remains of

! cromlechs and camps are seen at Y Maenan

Hirion, etc.

BWYRIEW tnshp. (CO) Manafon par. E. Mont-
gomery. 2 m. SSK. of Llanfair-178. Pop. 270.

BYAN vil. (67) Bungannon bar. Tyrone, 3 m.
N. of Caledon.

P. BYCE par. Aberdeen dist. S. Aberd. 5 m. NW.
of Aberdcen-110, on R. Bon, has a druid circle
of 10 stones at Tyrebeggar hill. Size 4m. by 3,
granite; pop. 472, decreasing; real prop. 357*1 /.;
for poor 78?. Living (presb. Aberd.) val. 151/.,
patr. Gordon Skeneof D. House; church, has an
old font, etc.

Dye Water, at Strachan, N. Kincardine, runs
X. to R. Bee, from the Grampians.

Dyer's Hall (46) 6 m. S. of Ampthill, S. Beds.
giT B. HILL (82) near Sheffield, W. R. York.
Living, a Cur. (Yk.) val. 130/., patr. Crown and
Bishop.

Dyfed, or Dimetia, was part of S. Wales, in-
cluding Pembroke. Caermarth. Cardigan, and part
of Brecon, but afterwards confined to Pembroke.

BYFFRIN hmlt. (42) Llanthetty par. S. Brecon.
6 m. WX W. of Crickhowel-157, near the canal, and
R. Usk. Pop. 196; real prop. 1351/., from Dy-
fryn, a vale, {? BYFFRIN hmlt. (42) Vainor
par. S.Brecon. 3m. N. of Merthyr-Tydvil-171,
on the Taf vawr river. Pop. 113; real prop. 1 5 1 9/.

BYFFRIN-LLANFAIR tnshp. (60) Xewtown par.
SE. Montgomery, near Newtown-175. Pop. 375 ;
real prop. 1215/.

BYFFRUN-CIDUICII hmlt. (41) Llangadock par.
E. Carmarthen.. 3m. NE. of Llangadock- 195, on
the Towy under Trichrug ; pop. 759 ; real prop.
3195/.

BYFFRYDAN tnshp. (59) Bogelley par. Mid.
Merioneth, near Bolgelley-208. Pop. 125.

Dyffryn (41) 5 m. S. by W. of Llangadock, E.
Caermarih. seat of Lewis, Esq. igaf" BYFFRYN
vil. (36) St. Lythan par. SE. Glamorgan. 5 m. SW.
of Llandaff-162, near D. House, the old seat of the
Prices, gap" BYFFRYN tnshp. (60) Meifod par.
NE. Montgomery. 4 m. S. of LIanfyllen-179, on R.
Einion. Pop. 255. ' Byffryn,' ' diffryn,' or ' dyf-
frin,' i. e. dyfr hynt, a water-course in a wide vale.

Dyffryn Aled (79) 7 m. W. of Benbigh, NW.
Denbigh, on R. Aled, seat of E. W. Yorke, Esq.,
through the Wynnes. JpT B.-CLYDACII hmlt.
(37) Cadoxton par. W. Glamorgan. 2 m. NW. of
Neath-198, contains Neath Abbey. Pop. 1085
+ 15, in the coal, iron, and copper mines; poor r.
237/. (Neath U.); real prop. 10,990/. ; of which
7870/. on mines, and 1200Z. on ironworks. D. C.
House, Mrs. Williams. A rail, runs to the
river, gg" B.-ELLAN, and B.-GwY, tnshps.
(56) Cwm-Toyddwr par. NW. Radnor. 4 m.
SW. and 2 m. NW. of Rhayader-181, on R. Elian
and Wye. Pop. 376 and "507 ; real prop. 29S3/.
Cwm Elian, R. Peel, Esq. gif B.-HoNDDfr,
UPPER and LOWER, chplry. (42) Merthyr-Cynog
par. Mid. Brecon. 8 m.NNW. of l?recknock-171, in
the vale of Honddu. Pop. 386 + 7 ; real prop.
17681 Living, a Cur. (St. Bav.)val. 66/., patr.
Vicar. Mynachty belonged to Malvem abbey.

ifc BYFFKYNCLWYD BEANKKY. See LLAN-
BEDK-B. CLWYD.

Dyfi River. See Dovey, Cardigan.

BYFNANT vil. (41) Garth parcel, SW. Brecon.
8m. NNE. ofXeath-198.



DYK

DYKE and MOY par. N. Elgin, and Nairn, 3 m.
W. of Forres-123, on II. Findliorn, and coast, con-
tains Kintessack, Whitemyre, and the " blasted
heath" of Hardmoor, where Macbeth met the
witches. Size 6 m. by 3A, stone, with sand hills by
the shore, seals, fish, salmon, etc. ; pop. 1366, de-
creasing, of vil. 166 ; real prop. 601 1/. ; for poor j
284/. Living (presb. Forres) val. 245/., patr.
Crown and Grant of Moy. Brodie, W. Brodie, Esq. ;
Malvey, N. M'Leod, Esq. ; Darnaway, Earl of
Moray, an old place with the regent Randolph's
hall, and large plantations. t$iT DYKE hmlt.
(70) Bourne par. >S. Lincoln. 2 m. NNE. of Bourne
-97, on D. Drove. Pop. 241. (gg D. FEN hmlt.
Bourne par. near the above, ijap D. Good ( ^
near Wainfleet, E. Lincoln. ggFiD. HIGH (70)
near Grantham-110, SIV. Lincoln. gif D.
House (103) 1 m. W. of Hartlepool, E. Durham.

DVKESFIELD vil. ( ) Longburgh tnshp. N.
CitmMd. 6 m. NW. of Carlisle-301.

DYLAIS, UPPER and LOWER, tnshps. (37) Ca-
doxton par. W. Glamorgan. 6 m. NNE. and 2 m.
NE. of Neath-198, contain Crinant on R. Dylais,
and Sarn Helen. Pop. 767 + 25, in the iron and tin
works ; poor r. 321/. (Neath U.) ; real prop. 3161/.
Fairs, Whit. Mon. 29 Sept. 20 Nov.

Dymbols Hall (48) 6 m. W. of Harwich, NE.
Essex, Mrs. Richardson.

P. DYMCHURCH par. (4) Worth hund. Shep-
way lathe, SE. Kent, 4 m. NE. of Romney-70,
in Romney Marsh lib. near D. Wall on the coast,
a sea bank, about 15 to 30 ft. wide, 20 high, and
3m. long, with three sluice-gates for draining.
Acres 1210 marshy but fertile ; pop. 613 + 9 ; poor
r. 290Z. (Romn. U.) ; real prop. S393/. ; charities,
Bedingfield's for education, etc. 111/. St. Peter
Rect. (Cant.) val. 125/., patr. Ld. Chancellor. At
New Hall the courts for management of the
drainage are held.

DYMEIRCHION or TREMEIRCHION par. (79)
Rhuddlan hund. N. Flint. 3 m. ESE. of St. Asaph
-208, in the vale of Clwyd, contains Bachygraig,
Brvngwyn, Graig, Llan, and Maenefa. Pop. 613 ;
poor r. *26()/. (St. As. U.); real prop. 2406/.
Living, a Vic. (St. As.) val. 240/., patr. Bishop.

P. DYMOCK. par. (43) Botloe hund. NlV.Glou*
cest. 4 m. NNW. of Newent-113, on R. Leadon
and Heref. and Glouc. canal, was once a mkt.
town, belonging to the Dymokes (before Ed. III.)
champions of England. Acres 6270, with many
orchards; pop. 1776 + 12; poor r. 555/. (Newent
U.); real prop. 9943/. ; charities 1251., of which
91/. to Cam's school. St. Mary Vic. (Gl. and Br.)
val. 104/., patr. A. Thompson, Esq. Near Castle
Tump is an old seal of the Wyn tours, garrisoned
for (.'has. I. Whitehouse was the birth-place of
Kyrle, the ' man of Ross.'

Dynastow Court. See DINGESTOW, Monmouth.

Dyne Hall (47) 1 m. NNW. of Halstead, N.
Essex, J. Sperling, Esq.

Dynevor, or Dinevor, Castle (41) i. e. Dinas
fawr, close to Llandeilofawr, E. Carmrthn., Lord
Dynevor, who takes hence title of baron, has
some noble prospects from the grounds, and, on a
rock by R. Towy, the keep, etc. of Roderick
Mawr's castle, the seat of Rhys ap Twdwr, Rhys
ap (irtiffydd, and other S. Wales princes, given by
Hen. VIII. to Rhys ap Thomas, and burnt 1700.

DYNIIAM par. (35) with Ilinton. Lower (Innn-
balds Ash hund. SfV. Gloucest. 4 m. SSE. of
Chipping Sodbury-108, on a branch of R. Avon,
near Ilinton Hill camp, where the Britons and
Saxons fought 599, is a meet for the Beaufort
hound*. Acres 3290; pop. 530 + 2 ; poor r. is.V,
( ( :. Sodbury U.) ; real prop. 55721. ; charities.
Lungt oil's for schools, etc. 99/. fct. Peter Rect.



DYS



GB5



(Gl. and Br.) val. 50U, patr.W. Blathwayte,Esq.
of D. Park; church, has canopied brass of M.
Russell (1408) and another.

DYXHYU.E, ISSA and UCHA tnshps. (74) Rua-
bon par. SE. Denbigh. 1 m. SE. and 2 m. SW. of
Ruabon, near Offa's Dyke. Pop. 312, and 1027,
in the iron and coal mines ; real prop. 2079/
Wynnstay Park, SirW. W. Wynne, Bt.

"Dynish Isld. (89) Moyculla bar. Galtcay, S.
side of the entrance to Kilkerran bay.

Dyonysius Priory. See DENNIS'S," ST., Hants.
' * P. DYSART par. Kirkcaldy (list. S. Fife.
14 in. S. of Cupar, 16 from Edinbro', a sub-port to
Kirkcaldy, on the Frith of Forth, and Ed. and
North, rail., including Boreland, Dunichen, Path-
head, Sinclairton (after the Sinclairs of Ravens-
craig cast.), and Thornton, and watered by R.
Orr, had a good trade with Holland 1546, which
declined at the civil war ; is a royal burgh con-
tributory to Kirkcaldy (no. of electors 152) ; was
chartered by Jas. V. and under the new act is
governed by a provost and 24 council., with an
income of 88F/. Size 4m. by 3, with stone, lime,
ironstone, coal (which was on fire from pyrites
1662, 1741, 1790, etc.), and a rocky coast ; pop.
7591 + 49, of town 1885 + 8, employed as linen
weavers, nailers, saltmakers, shipbuilders, and in
the coasting trade; houses 454, old fashioned,
with a church, chapel, news-room, mechanics'
library, burgh school ; real prop. 10,824/. ; for
poor 1052Z. Living (presb. Kirkcaldy) val. of 1st
and 2nd charges, 26G/. and 208/., patr. Earl Rosslyn
of D. House. W. Wallace the mathematician, a
native, 1768-1843. The tide harb. is small, but a
new dock has been made, with a patent slip for
repairs, etc. A forge stands on the site of a black
priory ; near a stone at Kingslawburn the Danes
had a battle ; and a group of trees has been taken
for the arms of the town, which gives title of
earl to the Tollemaches of Buckminster Pk. Fairs,
6 May, 3rd Tu. June, 4th Wed. Aug. 8 Nov.

DYSART par. (5, 6, 10-1) Fassadinin bar. N.
Kilkenny, 1 m. S. of Castlccomer-60, on R. Dinin.
Acres 7938 ; pop. 23G7, decreasing. Living (Os.
F. L.) a Vic. held by Vicars choral of St. Canice,
Kilkenny, val. 100/. t^ DYSART par. (18-9)
Ferrard bar. S. Louth, 1 m. E. of Dunleer-38.
Acres 1912, good; pop. 608, decreasing. Living,
a Rect. with Dunleer. Barmeath, Sir P. Bellew,
Bt. who owns the place. giT DYSART par. (25,
32) Moycashel and Rathconrath bars. Mid. West-
meath, 6 m. SW. of Mullingar-48, on Lough
Ennel, had an abbey. Acres 7415, fertile, with
limestone, bog ; pop. 1129. Living, a Rect. with
Churchtown. D. House, seat of the Nugents.
l^T DYSART par. (47-8, 50) Athlone bar. W.
lloscommon, 8 m. SSE. of Mount Talbot, near R.
Suck. Acres 6569, with bog and limestone; pop.



Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 177 of 293)