Copyright
James A Sharp.

A new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) online

. (page 180 of 293)
Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 180 of 293)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


patr. Viscount Maynard, of E. Lodge, (fig" E.-
GREY par. (34) Chippenham hund. NW. Wilts.
3 m. W. of Malmsbury-94, near Whitewalls
camp (the roman Mutuunionis), on Akeman St.
and R. Avon, belonged to the Parrys. Acres
790, with limestone; pop. 165 + 1; poor r. 31/.
(Malmesb. U.) ; real prop. 17707. ; charities 41.
Living, a Rect. (Gl. and Br.) val. 3007., patr. Rev.
W. S. Birch, rector. Coins and pottery have been
found, gg E.-iN-GoRDANO, or St. George, par.

(35) Port bury hund. NE. Somerset. 5 m. WNW.
of Bristol-114, near R. Avon's mouth, contains
Pill pilot station, and has a fine view of the sea.
Acres 1440 ; pop. 2199 ; poor r. 8687. (Bedminster
I'.); real prop. 59357. ; charities, Morgan's 187.
St. George Vic. (Ba. and W.) val. 160/., patr.
Bishop. jjaf E., LITTLE, par. (47) Dunmow
hund. NW. Essex, 2 m. NW. of Dunmow-38, near
GT. EASTON, above. Acres 1400 ; pop. 343 ; poor
r. 159/. (Dunm. U.) ; real prop. 25677. ; charities
207. to Banastre's almsh. Living, a Rect. (Roch.)
val. 3057., patr. Viscount Maynard, of E. Lodge,
an ancient seat burnt 1847, with some anti-
quities from Bartlow Hills ; church, has brasses
of H. Bourchier (1483, enamelled), and a priest.
Ijg" E., MAGNA, chplry. (64) Bringhurst par.
SE. Ijeicest. 1 m. NW. of Kockingham-84, near
R.Welland. Acres 2180; pop. 600+6; poor r.
3947. (UppinghamU.); real prop. 46137.; chari-
ties 257., of which Gl. to school. St. Andrew Cur.
with Bringhurst. E. Park, 1 m. NW. |^ E.-
MATDIT par. (52) Higham-Ferrars hund. Mid.
Northmptn. 6 m. S. of Wellingborough-67. Acres
2070, with limestone; pop. 214; poor r. 1707.
(Wellingb. U.) ; real prop. 16817. ; charities 37.
St. Peter and Paul Vic. (Pet.) sometime held by
Bp. Percy, val. 144/., patr. Christ Ch. Coll. Oxon. ;
church, has a spire with flying buttresses and inons.
of Bp. Morton, and the Longuevilles and Yelver-
tons, formerly of E. Park, ijir E. NESTON par.
(45) Clfly hand. SW. Northmptn. close to Tow-
cester-60, on R. Tove, contains Hulcote and
Showsley. Acres 720 ; pop. 169 + 2 ; poor r. 79/.
(Towces. U.); real prop. 30427. ; charities, Hal-
cote estate for church and school 1457. St. Mary
Vic. (Pet.) val. 1517., patr. Earl of Pomfretof E.
N. House, which was b. by Wren and Hawksmoor,
and where the collection of marbles given to Ox-
ford Univ. by the Countess of Pomfret was made ;
church, has mons. of the family the Fermors.
$&" E.-PiEKCY tythg. (34) Kington-St.-Michael



EAS



643



par. NW. Wilts. 3 m. NW. of Chippenham- f J3,
came from the Pierses and others to the fain, ot
Aubrey the antiquary, who was born here (IC-JC-
97). Pop. 41. |^-"E., UPPER and LOWER (35)
near Bristol-114, SW. Gloucest. on Glouc. rail.
Pop. in the collieries.

EASTONNESS. See EASTON-BAVENTS above,
Suffolk.

EASTOVER ( ) near Bridgwater, Mid. Somer
set. has St. J. Baptist Cur. (Ba. and W.) val.
1507., patr. Crown and Bishop.

EASTREAvil. (64) 2 m. E. of Whittlesea, NW.
Cambridge, on Manch. and Peterb. rail.

EASTRIDGE tvthg. ( ) Ramsbury par. NE.
Wilts. 4 m. NW. of Iiungerford-64. Pop. 173,
decreasing.

EASTRINGTON par. (86) Howdenshire wap E.
R. York. 3 m. ENE. of Howden-180, a station on
Hull rail., contains Bellasize, Gilberdike, New-
port-Wallingfen, and Portingten. Acres C910,
of town 3580 ; pop. 2076+40, and 405 + 8 ; poor
r. 1427. (Howd. U.); real prop. 21297. ; charities
417., of which 287. to Hewiey's school. St. Michael
Vic. (Yk.) val. 2027., patr.'Ld. Chancellor.

EASTRIP ext. par. (19) Bruton hund. E. So-
merset. 4 m. ENE. of Bruton-109, contains Brow-
ham Lodge. Acres 160; pop. 13.

EASTROP par. (12) Upper Basingstoke hund.
N. Hants, close to Basingstoke-45, on the canal,
near S. West. rail. Acres 440 ; pop. 94 + 3 ; poor
r. 237. (Basings. U.); real prop. 9707. Living, a
Rect. (Wine.) val. 737., patr. Sir W. Oglander,
Bt. rJiT EASTHOP tvthg. (34) Highworth par.
NE. Wilts, close to rfighworth-74. Pop. 544.

EASTRY HUNDRED (3) St. Augustine lathe, E.
Kent, contains the pars, of Barfreston rect., Bet-
teshanger r., Chillenden, Denton, Eastry tic.,
Eythorn r.. Ham r., Knowlton r., Tilmanstone t>.,
Waldershare ., Woodnesborough r., and Worth ;
acres 14,690, pop. 4372, houses 762. See SAND-
WICH DEANERY.

P. EASTRY par. in the above hund. 2 m. SW.
of Sandwich-68, belonged to the Saxon kings, who
had a palace here, and was a mkt. town under
Canterbury priory. Acres 2750; pop. 1629+18,
poor r. 5347. ; real prop. 74977. ; charities 1097., of
which Goddard's for education 887. St. Mary
Vic. (Cant.) val. with Worth 5817., patr. Archbp. ;
church, has a norman arch, and mons. of Bote-
lers, Paramors, Harveys, and the Bargraves of
Court Lodge, where Becket was hid 1164 in his
escape to France. Eastry P. L. Union, contains
the pars. etc. in the above hund. (except Denton)
with Ash, Deal, Elmstone, Goodnestone, Monge-
ham (Great and Little), Nonington, Northbourne,
Preston, Ripple, Sandwich, Sholden, Staple, Stour-
mouth, Sutton, Walmer, Wingham ; acres 44,808,
pop. 23,928, cases relieved (yr. 1846-7) 2301 (out-
door 1655), expend. 10,4007.", prop, rated 137,4487.
Sup. Registry comprises the same; pop. 23,!'"- 1.
It belongs to Deal New County Court dist. Fair,
2 Oct.

EASTVILLE par. tnshp. ( ) E. Bolingbroke
Soke, E. Lincoln, on Gt. North, rail, near New
Bolingbroke, belongs to E. B. Woodhouse, Esq.
Acres 1260, fenny ; pop. 142 ; real prop. 34837.

EastwelriW) 5"m. SW. of Aughrim, E. Cain-ay,
J. Usher, Esq. IgfT EAST\\ 1:1.1, ]>:ir. (3) Wye
hund. Scray lathe, Mid. Kent, 3 m. N N E. of Ash-
ford-53, near S. East. rail. Acres 820; pop. 106
+ 1 ; poor r. 517. (E. Ashf. U.) ; real prop. 8887. ;
charities 17. and a house. St. Mary Rect. (Cant.)
val. 1457., pa'.r. Earl of Winchelsea, of E. Place,
reb. by Bononi on the site of the old seat of the
Movies ; church has tombs of the Finches, and a
remarkable one said to be of Rich. Plantagenet,

TT 2



644



EAS



EAT



who at the death of his father Rich. III. became
chief bricklayer to Sir R. Moyle, and died 22 Dec.
1550, see the "Last of the Plantagenets."
A model brig, 60 ft. long, was launched in a lake
in the Park 1848. (gf~ EASTWELL par. (70)
Framland hund. NE. Leicest. 6 m. NNE. of Mel-
ton Mowbray-105, on the Wolds. Acres 1370 ;
pop. 131 + 1 ; poor r. 35Z. (M. Mowbray U.) ; real
prop. 1915Z. St. Michael Rect. (Pet.) val. 372Z.,
patr. Ld. Chancellor. i^IP Eastwell ( ) 2 m. from
Devizes, N. Wilts.

Eastwick (12) 9 m. NNW. of King's Clere,
NW. Hants. ^ EASTWICK par. (47) Braughin
hund. E. Herts. 5 m. SE. of Ware-20, on R.
Stort, near E. Count, rail., a petty sessions and
once a mkt. town. Acres 750 ; pop. 173 ; poor r.
95Z. '(Ware U.); real prop. 1341Z. ; charities 6Z.
St. Botolph Rect. (Roch.) val. 210Z., patr. R. P.
Ward, Esq., who has the manor, and of whose
fam. the church has tombs, and a brass of Joan
Lee (1564). E. Park, Mrs. E. Brown. igJTEAST-
WICK tnshp. (73) Ellesmere par. N. Salop, near
Ellesmere-169. Pop. 87.

Eastwick Park (8) 1 J m. W. of Leatherhead,
Mid. Surrey, was seat of the Earls of Effingham.

EASTWOOD par. (1) Rochford hund. S. Essex,
1 m. SW. of Rochford-38. Acres 4780 ; pop. 596
+ 6 ; poor r. 260Z. (Roch. U.) ; real prop. 4750Z. ;
charities 1Z. St. Lawrence and All Saints Vic.
(Roch.) val. 219Z., patr. Ld. Chancellor.

P. EASTWOOD par. (71) S. Broxtowwap. SW.
Notts. 8 m. NW. of Nottingham-124, on the canal
and R. Erewash. Acres 940, with coal and many
fossils ; pop. 1621 + 23, colliers and stocking
makers on 166 frames ; poor r. 433Z. (Basford U.) ;
real prop. 5609Z., of which 1035/. on mines. St.
Mary Rect. (Line.) val. 6607., patr. J. P. Pluinp-
tre, Esq., M. P. gif EASTWOOD, or Pollock par.
Upper ward, E. Renfrew, in a pleasnnt spot, con-
tains Pollockshaws-47, on R. Cart, Thornliebank,
and part of Levern. Size 4 m. by 3, with stone
and many fossils; pop. 7970 + 112, muslin weav-
ers, bleachers, etc. ; real prop. 18,622Z., of which
1431Z. on quarries and 1000Z. on mines ; for poor
1612Z. Living (presb. Paisley) once held by
Crawford and Woodrow, the church historians,
val. 268Z., patr. Sir J. Maxwell, Bt. of Pollock,
where are letters of the Regent Q. Mary, and the
original solemn league of 1587 ; church, old.
Auld House, . <gp Eastwood (29) near Tem-
plemore, NE. Tippery.

EASTWOOD ( ) near Keighley, W. R. York.
on Lane, and Yksh. rail, is a Cur. (Rip.) val. 150Z.,
patr. Crown and Bishop. Ig?" E. House (81)
near Rotherham, Mrs. S. Walker.

EASTWRITH (EAST) HUNDRED (9) Bramber
rape, Mid. Sussex, contains the pars, of Itching-
field, Sullington, Takeham, Warminghurst, and
parts of W. Chiltington and Shirfold ; acres
8000, pop. 1336, houses 221. E. (WEST) HUN-
DRED (9) Arundel rape, as above, contains the
pars, of Amberley, Billingshurst vie., W. Chilting-
ton rect., Greatham r., Parham /., Pulbro' r.,
Rudgwick v., Slinfold r., Storrington r., Wig-
gonholf r. ; acres 132,800, pop. 33,038, houses
6207. See STORRINGTON DEANERY.

EATHROPE limit. (53) Wappenbury par. Mid.
Warwick. 5 m. NNW. of Southam-82, seat of
Mrs. Vyner. Pop. 175 ; poor r. 63Z. (Warwk. U.).

P. EATINGTON, UPPER and LOWER, par. (54)
Kington hund. S. Warwick. 5 m. SE. of Strat-
ford- on- Avon-9C, on R. Stour, near Moreton rail,
contains Fulready, Lambcote, and Thornton.
Acres 4080 ; pop. 704 ; poor r. 324Z. (Stratfd. U.) ;
real prop. 5358Z. ; charities 34Z., of which 8Z. to
Sunday school. St. Thomas a Becket Vic.



(Wore.) val. 154Z., patr. E. J. Shirley, Esq. M. P.,
of E. Park, an old seat.

EATON tnshp. (13) Appleton par. N. Berks.
4m. SW. ofOxford-54. Pop. 127. g^" EATON
tnshp. (80) Davenham par. Mid. Cheshire, 2 m.
SSW. of Northwich-174, on Gr. June. rail. Acres
520 ; pop. 11 ; real prop. 604Z. jgg EATON tnshp.

(80) Eccleston par. W. Clieshire, 4 m. S. of Ches-
ter-183, on R. Dee. Acres 1130; pop. 64; poor
r. 65Z. (Gt. Boughton U.) ; real prop. 2226Z. E.
Hall, seat of Marq. of Westminster, a noble pile
450 ft. long, in the dec. english style by
Porden, was b. 1803 on the site of Vanbrugh's
old design, and contains, in the great gallery
(430 ft.) etc., portraits of the Grosvenors, with
West's ' Cromwell dissolving the Long Parl.' and
'Jacob blessing Joseph's sons,' Rubens's 'David
and Abigail,' Claude's 'Christ on M. Olivet,'
Guercino's ' Judith,' etc. A terrace 350 ft. long
leads to the gardens (42 acres) in which are
a roman altar and a pavement from Capri ; the
grounds beyond have fine views of the Welsh
hills, an iron bridge of 150 ft. over the river, and
a lodge near Victoria bridge in imitation of St.
Augustine's gate, Canterbury. gg"EATON tnshp.

(81) Prestbury par. E. Cheshire, 2 m. NNE. of
Congleton-162, on R. Dane. Acres 1110; pop.
535 + 1 ; poor r. 73Z. (Macclesfield U.) ; real prop.
2909Z. E. Hall, G. Antrobus, Esq., reb. in the
style of Crewe Hall. i^T EATON tnshp. (80)
Tarporley par. Mid. Clieshire, 1 m. ENE. of Tar-
porley-178. Acres 1290; pop. 525+2; poor r.
202Z. (Nantwich U.) ; real prop. 2911Z. ^
EATON chplry. (72) Ashborne par. W. Derby.
6m. NNW. of Ashborne- 139, is joined to ALSOP-
LE-DALE. Real prop. 1784Z. igp EATON hmlt.
(72) with Ledsall, Doveridge par. S W.Derby.
2 m. NNE. of Uttoxeter-138, near R. Dove. Pop.
45. g=g- EATON tnshp. (55) Leominster par. N.
Hereford. 1 m. SE. of Leominster-137, on a branch
of R. Wye, was the seat of the fam. of Hackluyt
the collector of Voyages, and the birthplace of
Cardinal de Eaton. Pop. 59; real prop. 2920Z.
igiT EATON par. (70) Framland hund. NE. Lei-
cest. 7 m. NE. of Melton Mowbray-105, on R.
Devon Acres 2470 ; pop. 404 + 5; poor r. 137Z.
(M. Mowbray U.) ; real prop. 2762Z. ; charities
32Z. St. Dennis Vic. (Pet.) val. 83Z., patr. Ld.
Chancellor. E. Lodge, 2 m. W. i^T EATON, or
IDLETON, par. (82-3) Bassetlaw wap. N. Notts.
2 m, S. of E. Retford-141, on R. Idle, had ten
manors before the Conquest. Acres 1540 ; pop.
189 ; poor. r. 90Z. (E. Retfd. U.) ; real prop. 1772Z.
All Saints Vic. (Line.) val. 80Z., patr. Bishop of
Ripon. fig?" EATON par. (61) Upper Munslow
hund. S. Salop, 5 m. ESE. of Church Stretton-
158, on E. Brook (which runs into R. Onny),
under Wenlock Edge, contains Hatton, Hunger-
ford, Lushcott-Longville, Upper Millichope, and
Ticklerton. Acres 5200 ; pop. 579 + 4, of town
77 ; poor r. 233Z. (Ch. Stretton U.) , real prop.
5222Z. St. Edith Vic. (Heref.) val. 280Z., patr.
Rev. R. Sandford, vicar, ggp EATON tnshp. (60)
N. Lydbury par. SW. Salop, 3 in. ENE. of
Bishop's Castle-159, on R. Onny. Pop. with
Choulton-87. t^ EATON tnshp. (73) Stoke-
upon-Tern par. NE. Salop, 6 m. NW. of Newport
-142, on R. Tern. Pop. 127.

EATON-BISHOP par. (43) Webtree hund. Mid.
Hereford. 4m. W. of Hereford-134, near R. Wye.
Acres 2270; pop. 434; poor r. 375Z. (Heref. U.);
real prop. 3724Z. ; charities 481Z., of which GofF's
for schools here and elsewhere 450Z. St. Michael
Rect. (Heref.) val. 444Z., patr. Bishop. E. B.
House, J. Phillips, Esq. |J3P E. BRAY par.
(46) Manshead hund. SW. Beds. 3 m. W. of



EAT

Dunstable-33, had a castle b. 1221 by the Canti-
lupes(?) Acres 2650, part common; pop. 1097
+ 14 ; poor r. 4067. (Leighton Buzzard U.) ; real
prop. 35031. St. Mary Vic. (Ely) val. 1897., pair. |
Trinity Coll. Camb. ; church, in ruins, 83" E.
CHUUCH. See CHURCH EATON, Staffd. T E.-
CONSTANTUTE par. (61) S. Bradford hund. Mid.
Salop, 5 m. NW. of Much Wenlock-148, on R.
Severn. Acres 890; pop. 294 + 5; poor r. 321.
(Acham U.) ; real prop. 13097. ; charities 47. St
Mary Cur. (Lich.) val. 1927., pair. Duke of
Cleveland. gp~ E. Court ( ) near , Worces-
ter. W. Hull, Esq. $3P E. DEANERY. See EATON
SOCON below, Beds.

Eaton Green (46) 1 m. ENE, of Luton, S.
Beds. ^ E.-GREEN hmlt. (62) Church Eaton
par. W. Stafford. 5 m. NW. of Penkridge-131.
|3 E. Hall (66) 2 m. SW. of Norwich, E. Nor-
folk, is a Vic. (Norw.) val. 87/., patr. Dean and
Chap. ^iT E.-HASTINGS par. (34) Shrivenham !
hund. NW. Berks. 3m. NNW. of Faringdon-68, '
on R. Isis. Acres 1330, woody; pop. 161; poor
r. 55/. (Faringd. U.); real prop. 21477, St.
Michael Rect. (Oxon.) val. 3787., patr. Rev. R.
Rice, rector. ijgP E., LITTLE, chplry. (71) St.
Alkmund's par. S. Derby. 3 m. N. of Derby-126,
on Little E. canal which joins Derby canal, near
R. Derwent and Midld. rail. Acres 490 ; pop.
712+ 10, stocking makers; poor r. 1517. (Shord-
low U.) ; real prop. 19367. Living, a Cur. (Lich.)
val. 1507^ patr. Vicar. Lit. E. House, Mrs.
Darwin. 33 E., LONG, tnshp. (71) Sawley
par. SE. Derby. 9 m. ESE. of Derby-126, near
Krwash canal and Midld. Count, rail. Pop.
859 + 10; poor r. 2267. ; real prop. 53687. St.
Lawrence Cur. with Sawley. igiP E. Mascott
(61) 5 m. SE. of Shrewsbury, Mid. Salop, E. H.
Williams, Esq.

P. EATON- SOCON par. (52) Barford hund. NE.
Beds. 1 m. SW. of St. Neot's-56, near R. Ouse,
containing Wyboston and the Union poor house,
had a castle of the Beauchamps, who found.
Bushmead priorv. Acres 7530; pop. 2600+51;
poor r. 14917. (St. Neot's U.) ; real prop. 13,0917. ;
charities, poor's land 207. St. Mary Vic. (Ely)
val. 43971, patr. T. Atkinson, Esq. ; church, has
2 brasses (from 1420). Eatonford, . >J< E.
DEANERY, archdy. of Bedford, dioc. of Ely, in-
cludes the benefices marked in Barford and Stod-
den hunds. with Thurleigh ., or 17 in all.

EATON-TREGOZE tnshp. (43) Foy par. SE.
Hereford. 3 m. N. of Ross-120, on R. Wye.
Top. 215; real prop. 24997.

Eau Brink Cut (65) joins R. Ouse to the Wash,
at King's Lynn, NW. Norfolk.

EAUDYKE hmlt. (69) Quadring par. SE. Lin-
coln. 1 m. SE. of Donington-107.

EAUGATE hmlt. (69) Moulton par. SE. Lin-
coln. 3 m. E. of Spalding-98.

EAVES tnshp. (72) Bucknall par. N. Stafford.
2 m. NE. of Stoke-upon- Trent- 148. Pop. 382 + 10.

EAVESTON tnshp. ( ) Ripon par. W. R. York.
6 m. WSW. of Ripon-212. Acres 1170 ; pop. 88 ;
poor r. 177.

Eaxholme of the Saxons, is Axholme, Somerset.

EBBEKSTON par. ( ) Pickering-Lvthe wan.
N. R. York. 6 m. ESE. of Pickering-226, near R.
Derwent, has a tomb to Alfred, king of Northum-
bria, who died here (it is said) after a battle 705.
Acres 6350 ; pop. 579 + 7 ; poor r. 717. (Picker. U.) ;
real prop. 43867. St. Mary Vic. (Yk.) val. with
Allerston 135/., patr. Dean.

Ebberty (26) 4 m. E. of Torrington, N. Devon.

EBBESBOKNK-WAKE par. (15) Chalk hund. S.
WUts. 8 m. SW. of Wilton-84, on the Downs.
Acres 2700; pop. 306 + 3; poor r. 1667. (Wilton



ECO



645



U.) ; real prop. 22427. St. J. Baptist Cur. (Sal.)
val. 1307., patr. the Succer.tor.

EBBS FLEET hmlt. (3) Minster par. 3^ SW.
by W. of Ramsgate, E. Kent, now m. inland,
was Hypwines jleote or Ipyids-flete of the Saxons,
where llengist and Horsa, St. Augustine and St.
Mildred, landed at various times, and whence,
round by the S. side of Thanet (a channel now
partly filled up), was the shortest way to the
Thames.

Kbbw River. See Ebwy R., below.

EBCHESTER chplry. ( ) Lanchester par. N.
Durham, 11 m. SW. of Gateshead-275 at Causey
burn (crossed by an arch of 103 ft, span) on R.
Derwent, is Vindomara of Antonine, on the roman
way from Lanchester, and had a monastery
founded before 660 by Ebba, and destroyed by
the Danes. Acres 550 ; pop. 331 + 8 ; poor r. 707.
(Lanches. U.); real prop. 11497, St. Ebba Cur.
(Dur.) val. 867., patr. Master of Sherborne hosp. ;
church, stands within the camp of 1GO paces
square, where a large urn, many inscriptions, and
altars have been found.

EBDIE par. is joined to ABDIE, Fife.

Ebdon (20) 8 m. NNW. of Axbridge, N. Somerset.

EBENEZER vil. (78) Llan-ddeiniolen par. ^V.
Carnarvon. 4 m. NE. of Carnarvon-235.

EbfordHouse (22) 1 m. E. of Topsham,.7?.Z>eron.

Eblana of Ptolemy is DUBLIN ; Eblanii, the
people of Dublin and Meath.

Ebley (35) 2 m. E. of Stroud, Mid. Gloucest.
E. Davies, Esq.

EBNALL tnshp. (74) Whittington par. NW.
Salop, 3 m. NNE. of Oswestry-171, near Elles-
mere canal. Pop. 240.

EBONY par. (4) Oxney and Tenterden hunds.
Shepway and Scray lathes, S. Kent, 4 m. SE. of
Tenterden-55 on R. Rother. Acres 2000 ; pop. 168
+ 11 ; poor r. 617. (Tenter. U.) ; real prop. 40867.
St. Mary Cur. with Appledore.

Eboracum of the Romans is YORK, a muni-
cipal city, and Caer Ebrauc of the Britons.

EBRINGTON par. (44) Upper Kiftsgate hund.
NE. Gloucest. 2 m. ENE. of Chipping Campden
-90, contains Hidcote-Boyce. Acres 3690 ; pop.
583 + 1 ; poor r. 2787. (Shipston U.) ; real prop.
35827. ; charities, " the milk of 10 cows" for poor.
St. Edburgh Vic. with Mickleton ; church, has
tombs of the Fortescues, who take hence the titlo
of viscount.

Ebudes Insulte of the Roman?, were the He-
brides or Western Islds. proper, and Skye, called
Ebuda Major.

Ebudum Prom, was Cape Wrath, Suthrld.

Ebworth Park (44) 6 m. SE. of Gloucester, Md.
Gloucest.

Ebwy Vale Furnace (42) 9 m. NW. of Ponty-
pool-149, NW. Monmouth. on R. Ebwy, which
rises oil the borders of Brecon, in two heads
uniting at Crumlin bridge, and passing Risca,
where it is joined by R. Sirhowy, runs about
23 m. SE. to R. Usk and the sea, 2 m. S. of New-
port. A rail, and canal run close to the stream
from the Vale, Beaufort, and other ironworks.

ECCIUNSWELL. See ITCHINGSWELL, Hants.

KCCI.KS par. 5 m. NW. of Coldstream-48, S.
Berwick, on R. Tweed, containing Leitholm and
Birnham, had a cistertian nunnery found. 1154
by Earl Cospatrick, and given to the Homes. Size

8 m. by 6, well cultivated ; pop. 1946 + 6, some in
the tile works; real prop. 19,4727. ; for poor 4247.
Living (presb. Dunse), val. 2547., patr. Crown ;
church, reb. about 1775, on the site of the old
pointed one. E. House, 3. Greig, Esq., has a few
traces of the nunnery. At Dead Riggs, a pillar

9 ft. high marks where a Percy fell ' Eccles,' from
1 TT 3



G4G



ECC



ECC



eccksia, a church, and related to ' eglwys ' in
welsh, igg*' Eccles, near Penpont, W. Dumfries.
P. ECCLES par. (89) Salford hund. S. Lancash.
3 m. E. of Manchester- 183, a station on Liver-
pool rail, near R. Irwell, and noted for its cakes,
contains Barton, Ellenbrook, Swinton, Walk-
den- Moor, Pendlebury, Pendleton, Worsley, and
Paddington cars, and Clifden. Acres 20,240,
with coal, including 7000 in Chat Moss; pop.
33,792 + 571, cotton and silk weavers, miners,
etc. ; poor r. 7. ; real prop. /. ; charities 777. of
which 34/. to Bradshaw and Sherlock's schools.
St. MaryFic. (Manch.) val. 5007., patr. Ld. Chan-
cellor ; church, with tombs of the Breretons and
Booths, belonged to Whalley Abbey, which had a
small house at Monks Hall "farm. Ainsworth, the
lexicographer, was a native (1G60-1743). Races,
Aug. on an oval of J m.

P. ECCLES par. (68) Happing hund. NE. Nor-
folk, 8 m. ESE. of X. Walsham-125, on the coast.
Acres with Hempstead ; pop. 53 ; poor r. I. ;
real prop. 7. Living, a Rect. (Xorw.) val. 757.,
patr. E. Lombe, Esq. ; church, carried away by
sea 1605. igp ECCLES par. (66) Shropham hund.
5. Norfolk, 2 m. NE. of E. Harling-89, near
Brandon rail. Acres 1490 ; pop. 124 ; poor r. 1047.
(Guiltcross U.) ; real prop. 1600/. St. Mary Rect.
(Xorw.) val. 2907., patr. Sir T. Beevor, Bt. of
Largham. E. Hall, .

Eccles House (81) 1 m. WNW. of Chapel-le-
Frith, NE. Derby, ,T. Goodman, Esq. under E. Pike.

P. ECCLESALL- BIERLOW tnshp. (81) Sheffield
par. W. R. York. 3 m. SW. of Sheffield-162 in that
boro', contains 25 hmlts. Acres 4400 ; pop. 19,984
+ 571, in the cutlery and hardware trade ; houses
4037, with 3 schools, and union poor-house ; poor
r. 42917. on 42,6087. ; real prop. 57,1557. of which
2 1507. on ironworks; charities 687. of which 517.
to schools. Living, a Cur. (Yk.) val. 160/., patr.
Vicar ; church, on site of one which belonged to
Beauchief Abbey, is near Banner Cross, seat of
Rev. W. Bagshawe. EC. Bierlw. P. L. Union,
contains the pars. etc. of Beauchief Abbey, Dore,
Norton, in Derby. and Ecclesall-B., Hallam (Xe-
ther and Upper), Totley, in W. R. York. ; acres
26,850, pop. 81,645, cases relieved (yr. 1846-7)
1929 (out-door 1210), expend. 77957./prop. rated
73,6207. Sup. Registry comprises the same up to
Ecclesall, with Fulwood, and St. Thomas Crookes ;
pop. 31,625 + 894 : 23 deaths from cholera in 1849.
It belongs to Sheffield New County Court dist.

P. M. ECCLESFECHAX vil. Hoddam par. S.
Dumfries. 13 m. E. of Dumfries, 73 from Edinbro'
in Annandale, on Caledn. rail., was an old par.
Pop. 768, gingham weavers ; houses 140, with a
chapel, distillery, etc. Mkt. D. , pork. Fairs,
monthly, cattle.

P. ECCLESFIELD par. (82) Strafforth wap. W.R.
York. 4 m. N. of Sheffield-162, containing Brad-
field, Bolsterstone, Chapel Town, Midhope.Oughti-
bridge, Stannington, Wadsley (all curs.), and 19
other hmlts. was Eclesfelt at ' Domesdy.' and be-
longs to Duke of Xorfolk. Acres 43,540, with coal
andiron, of town 9810; pop. 15,150 + 174, and
8832, some in a flax mill, and nail and cutlery
trades ; poor r. 26357. on 23,1007. (VVortley U.)";
real prop. 25,8387. of which 1555/. on ironworks
and mines; charities 4531. of which 1047. to Syl-
vester's hosp. for 71. and 697. to schools. St. J.
Baptist Vic. (Yk.) val. 5737., patr. Rev. E. Ryder;
church, called ' Chapel of the Moors,' was part of
an alien priory, which at first was a cell to St.
Wandrille's, afterwards to St. Anne's Coventry.
Ecclesf. Sup. Registry comprises Barnsley, Burton,
Cawthorne, Cumberworth, Darfield, Darton, Fel-
kirk, Hoy land (High and Low), Roystone, Scissett,



Silkstone,Thurgoland,WorsbroTigh,Woolley,Hoy-
land-Swaine, and W. Bretton ; pop. 39,506*+ 7-29 :
38 deaths from cholera at Worsbrough in 1849.
It belongs to Barnsley New County Court dist.

ECCLESGKEIG par. joined to ST. CYRUS, A7-
cardine. E. House, W. F. Grant, Esq.

P. M. ECCLESHALL par. (72-3) X. Pirehill hund.
W. Stafford. 7m. NW. of Staftbrd, 148 from London,
near M. West. rail, and R. Sow, a polling place, con-
taining Broughton, Chorlton, Cotes, Croxton curs.,
and 17 other tnshps., belongs to the Bps. of Lich-
field, whose seat, E. Castle, was b. before 1200,
reb. 1310 by Bp. Langton, and again 1695 by Bp.
Lloyd, after being damaged in the civil wars.
Acres 20,930, of town 1850, including Bishops
Woods, which furnishes crate rods for the potters ;
pop. 4730 + 26, and 1439 + 15; poor r. 1137/. on
31,5837. (Stone U.); real prop. 6408/. ; charities
104/., besides Powell's school. Holy Trinity Vic.
(Lich.) val. with Croxton 1707., patr. Bishop;
church, early eng., where Q. Margaret fled after
her defeat by Neville on Blore Heath. Byana
was a seat of the Bosviles; Pershall of the'Per-
shalls, near the roman way. Mkt. D. Frid. Fairs,
Th. before Mid. Lent, Ho'ly Th. 16 Aug. 1st Frid.
Nov. cattle, etc.

ECCLESHILL tnshp. (89) Blackburn par. Mid.
Lancash. 3 m. SSE. of Blackburn-212. Acres
820 ; pop. 510, decreasing ; poor r. 1617. (Blackb.
U.) ; real prop. 16307.



Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 180 of 293)