Copyright
James A Sharp.

A new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) online

. (page 184 of 293)
Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 184 of 293)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


S. Queen's Co.

EDMONDSLEY tnshp. ( ) Chester-le-Street par.
N. Durham, 5 m. NNW. of Durham-258, on a
branch of R. Wear. Acres 1870 ; pop. 253 + 10 ;
poor r. 457. (Chester U.) ; real prop. 27487.

EDMONDSTONE vil. Newton par. N. Edinbro 1 ,
2 m. N\V. of Dalkeith-7, where the Scots en-
camped 1547 at the battle of Pinkie. Pop. 143,
collieries. E. House, J. Wauchope, Esq.

Ednwndstown (74) near Ballaghadereen, E.
Mayo, H. Daniell, Esq.

EDMONDSTRIP - BEEXHAM and E. - LANCES
tythgs. (12) Kingsclere par. N.Hants. 1 in. N.
of Kingsclere-54.

EoMoHDTHORPH par. (C4)Framland hund.AT?.
Lcicest. 7m. ESE. of Melton-Mowbray- 105, near
the canal. Acres 2100; pop. 261+5; poor r.
95/. (M. Mowbray U.) ; real prop. 23207. ; chari-
ties 137. St. Michael Rect. (Pet.) val. 5G07., patr.
Ld. Chancellor. E. Hall, .

P. EDMONSCOTT. See EMSCOTE, Warwick.

EDMONSTON vil. near Biggar-28, E. Lanark, in
that par.

EDMONSTOWN vil. (22) Rathdown bar. S.
Dublin, 2 m. S. of Rathfarnham-3. Pop. 136.

P. EDMONTON HUNDRED (1) NE. Middlesex,
contains the pars, of Edmonton, Enfiekl, Iladlcy,
South Mimms, and Tottenham; acres 31,410,
pop. 30,683, houses 5400.

EDMONTON par. in the above hnnd. 7 m. NNE.
of London, on Enfield branch rail, near the New
River, a petty sessions town, containing Winch-
more Hill and Southgate, and divided into E.
Upper and Lower, Bury and S. Street wards.
Acres 7480; pop. 9027 + 93; houses 1125, in a
long broken street, with 2 churches, 6 chapels,
I-police stat., Booker's coach factory, savings
bk. (72347. from 480 depositors), Quaker college,
Latymer's school (3277.), Wild and Styles's almsli.
(1607.), Stanbridge's girls' school, and Union
p. house besides a new church, large chapel in
the pointed style, co. court house, etc., lately b.
on site of the Snells' old seat; poor r. 28317. on
36,5207. ; real prop. 42,9637. ; charities 6337. All
Saints Vic. (Lon.) val. 12007., sometime held by
Owen, author of ' Critica Sacra,' patr. Dean and
Chap, of St. Paul's, church, has 3 brasses
from 1530 (E. Askew and two husbands, etc.),
tombs of the Huxleys who b. Wyre Hall 1611, and
the Myddletons who were seated at Bush Hill,
and it had a chantry found, by P. Fanclour ; St.
Paul Cur. 1007., Vicar. Culland's Grove, Sir
W. Curtis, Bt., who holds the manor ; Pymmes,
was the seat of Ld. Burleigh along with Theo-
balds, Bury Hall of President Bradshaw ; at
Rectory House, Tillotson, when dean, resided;
some of G. Gibbons' carvings are at Bush Hill Pk.,
and Dr. Fothergill is buried at the Friends' ground
on Winchmore Hill. Dr. B. Taylor, the mathe-
matician, was a native. The " Merry Devil," and
the " Witch " of Edmonton, on each of whom a
play has been written, were one Peter Fabell,
who 'did use some sleightie tricks for his own dis-
port,' and a poor wretch named Sawyer, hung
1621. Edmond. P. L. Union, contains the pars,
etc. of Waltham Abbey, in Essex, Cheshunt, in
Herts., and Edmonton, Enfield (a workhouse),
Hampstead, Hornsey, Tottenham, in Midsx.;
acres 46,942, pop. 52,569, cases relieved (yr. 1846
-7) 3685 (out-door 2898), expend. 16,0697., prop.

VOL. I.



EDV



C57



rated 245,5537. Sup. Registry comprises the same
(except Hampstead) with Highgate and South-
gate ; pop. 42,542, births (1845) 1357 (674 being
females and 58 illegit.), deaths 960, marriages
219, of which 113 persons signed with marks:
20 and ' many more' deaths from cholera in
1849, at Cheshunt, etc. The New County Court
dist. includes Edmonton, Enfield, and Tottenham.
Fairs, St. Giles's and Ascension days at Beggar's
Bush in Entield Chase.

Edmund's Hill (51) 1m. E. of Bury-St.-Ed-
munds, W. Suffolk, Mrs. Cocksedge ?

Edmund's, St., College (47) 5 m. NW. of Ware,
E. Herts, for roman cath., a range 300 ft. long,
b. 1795 by Taylor. <^ E., St., Point (69) 8 m.
WNW. of Bumham Westgate, NW. Norfolk,
between Brancaster Bay and Lynn Deeps, has on
the lias cliffs, 100 ft. high, an old chapel and light
(Hunstanton?).

EDNAL tnshp. (56) Old Radnor par. E. Rad-
nor. 2 m. SE. of New Radnor-159. Pop. 50.
Living, a Cur. with Old Radnor.

EDNAM, or EDENHAM, par. Kelso dist. NE.
Roxburgh. 2 m. NE. of Kelso-42, a rural spot,
on Rs. Eden (as above) and Tweed, was the birth-
place of Thomson at the manse 1700-48. Size
3 m. by 3^, with good marl, rising ft. at E.
Hi/land Henderside Hill ; pop. 615, of vil. 146 ;
real prop. 83987. ; for poor 2467. Living (pre*b.
Kelso) val. 1587., patr. Crown. Stone coffins have
been found at Picts Knowe. E. House, near
Kelso Ab.

EDNASTON limit. (72) Brailsford par. Mid.
Derby. 5m. SE. of Ashborne-139. Pop. 217. E.
Lodge, J. Bowdon, Esq.

Edntdynate, near Weem, N. Perth. J. S. Robert-
son, Esq.

EDRENS, ST., par. (40) Dewislaud hund. NW.
Pembroke. 8 m. NNW. of Haverfordwest-251.
Pop. 124 + 1 ; poor r. 247. (Haverford U.) ; real
prop. 5927. Living, a Cur. (St. Dav.) val. 857.,
patr. Ld. Chancellor.

Edri Insuia, of Ptolemy, is Beginis, Wexford.

EDROM, or ADDERHAM, par. 3 m. E. of DUBM
-44, Mid. Berwick, on R. Wlritadder, where joined
by R. Blackadder at Allanton, had a paper-mill
at Chirnside bridge. Size 10 m. by 6, flat and
fertile, with good trout; pop. 1415, decreasing ;
real prop. 15,3357. : for poor 3297. Living (presb.
Chirn.) val. 2437., patr. Crown. Nisbet, Lord
Sinclair, has Dunse Spa; Kelloe, G. Buchan,
Esq. ; Kimmeryhame, Bonar, Esq. ; Allanbank,
and Blackadder Ho.

EDSTASTON chplry. (73) Wem par. N. Salop,
2 m. N. of Wem-ieai near E. Hall. Pop. 452 + 6.
Living, a Cur. with Wem.

EDSTOCK hmlt. (20) with Beer, Cannington
par. Mid. Somerset. 3 m. NW. of Bridgwater-139.
Pop. 15.

EDSTONE hmlt. (54) Wootton-Wawen par. Mid.
Warwick. 3m. SE. of Henley-in-Arden-112, on
R. Alne, was the birthplace of the poet Somer-
ville (1692-1742). Pop. 51. E. House, D. Dai-
ton, Esq.

EDSTONE, GREAT, par. ( ) Ryedale wap. N.
R. York. 5 m. ESE. of Helmsley-222, near R. Rye,
contains N. Holme. Acres 1800, of town 1190 ;
pop. 153, and 134 ; poor r. 437. (Helms. U.) ; real
prop. 22937. ; charities 27., with a share ill Lady
Lumley's charity. Living, aFtc. (Yk.) val. 1887.,
patr. G. W. Dowker, Esq. ^ E., LITTLE, tnshp.
Sinnington par. 1m. NE. of the above. Acres
790; pop. 15.

EDVIN-LOACH par. (55) Upper Doddingtree
hund. Worcester, locally in Hereford. 2 m. N. of
Bromyard-125, has remains of a camp. Acres 360,

Uu



C58



EDW



with hops ; pop. 62 ; poor r. 16/. (Bromy. U.) ;
real prop. 641/. Living, a Rect. (Heref.) vaL with
Tedstone- Wafer 156/., patr. E. Higginstone, Esq.
1^ E.-RALPH par. (55) with Butterley, Wolphy
hund. NE. Hereford. 1m. SW. of the above.
Acres 1060, limestone, with hops ; pop. 166; poor
r. 847. (Bromy. U.) ; real prop. 1674/. Living, a
Beet. (Heref.) val. with Collington 4271., patr. W.
Childe, Esq.

EDWALTON par. (71) N. Kushcliffe wap. 5.
Notts. 3 m. SSE. of Nottingham- 124, near Gran-
tham canal. Acres 830, moory; pop. 117; poor
r. 41/. (Bingh. U.) ; real prop. 1904/. Holy Rood
Cur. (Line.) val. 97/., patr. J. Musters, Esq. of
Annesley.

Edward's Lodge (126) near Woodf ord, S. Gal-
way.

EDWARDSTONE par. (48) Babergh hund. S. Suf-
folk, 4 m. E. of Sudbury-54, on a branch of R.
Stour, belongs to the bps. of Ely, and had a cell to
Abingdon, found. 1114 by the Monte-Chensys
or Munchensis, but given to Colne priory 1160.
Acres 1780 ; pop. 495 ; poor r. 280/. (Cosford U.) ;
real prop. 4196/. ; charities 457. St. Mary Vic.
(Ely) val. 203/., patr. C. Dawson, Esq. ; church,
nas'brass of B. Brand. Fair, 24 Dec.

EDWARDTHORPK hmlt. (87) Darfield tnshp.
W. R. York. 4 m. E. of Barnesley-172, on N.
Midld. rail. Pop. 40. E. House, .

Edwin's Hall. See Edinkens, above.

EDWINS hmlt (41) Llansawel par. NE. Car-
marthen. 10m. N.ofLlandcilo-fawr-202. Pop.182;
real prop. 2177/. Edwinsford, or Rhyd Odin, on
R. Cothy, Sir J. Williams, Bt.

P. EDWINSTOWE par. (82) Bassetlaw wap. Mid.
Notts. 1 m. WSW. of Ollerton-137, on R. Maun,
in Sherwood forest N. walk, contains Ollerton
mkt. town, Carburton, Perlethorpe curs., and
Clipstone. Acres 17,270 ; pop. 2418 + 42 ; poor r.
155/. (Southwell U.) ; real prop. 4162Z. ; charities
11C/., of which town lands 45/. St. Mary Vic.
(Line.) val. with Carburton and Ollerton 864/.,
patr. Dean and Chap. ; church, has an 8-sided
spire. Thoresby Park, Earl Manvers, where Lady
M. Montague was born (1690-1762).

EDWINSTREE HUNDRED (47) NE. Herts, con-
tains the pars, of Albury, Anstey, Aspeden, Bark-
way, Barley, Buckland, Much and Little Had-
ham, Great and Little Hormead, Layston, Mees-
den, Pelham Brent, Pelham Furneux, Pelham
Stocking, Throcking, Wakely, and Wyddiall;
acres 38,190, pop. 9925, houses 2002.

EDWORTH par. (46) Biggleswade hund. E.Beds.
3 m. SE. of Biggleswade-45, near the roman way.
Acres 1100 ; pop. 105 + 1 ; poor r. SOL (Bigglesw.
U.) ; real prop. 925/. St. George Rect. (Ely) val.
167/., patr. W. Hale, Esq.

Edioy River (56) runs into R. Wye at Aber-
edwy, .S. Radnor, below Builth, through some
fine scenery.

P. &. EDZELL par. 5 m. N. of Brechin-71,
NE. Forfar. and SW. Kincardine, on the heads
of the N. Esk, has the fine ruins of the Lindsays'
castle, belonging to Lord Panmurc, and a
tower at Auchmull. Size llm. by 6, with lime,
wood, and salmon; pop. 1064 + 9; real prop.
3100/. ; for poor 214/. Living (presb. Brechin),
val. 158/., patr. Crown.

EFENECHTYD par. (74) Ruthin hund. Mid.
Denbigh. 1 m. S. of Ruthin-195, near R. Clwyd.
Acres 800, with limestone ; pop. 234 ; poor r. 56/.
(Ruth. U.) ; real prop. 1445/. ; charities 8/. St.
Michael Rect. (Ban.) val. 200/., patr. Bishop,
sometime held by Bp. Lloyd. Some traces of a
camp at Pen-y-g*aer.

EFFIN par. (47, 55) Coshlea and Coshma bars.



EGG

S. Limerick, 3 m. SW. of Kilmalloch-140. Acres
5268, hilly, with good pasture ; pop. 2060, de-
creasing. Living, a Rect. and prebend. (Lk. A. A.)
val. 294/., patr. Earl of Dunraven. Newpark, J.
Baillie, Esq.

EFFIXGIIAM HUNDRED (8) Mid. Surrey, con-
tains the pars, of Great and Little Bookham, and
Effingham ; acres 7060, pop. 1781, houses 323.

P. EFFINGHAM par. in the above hund. 4 m.
NW. of Dorking-23, gives title of earl to the
Howards of Grange. Acres 2940, part common ;
pop. 581 + 2 ; poor r. 345Z. (Dork. U.) ; real prop.
4391/. St. Lawrence Vic. (Win.) val. 226/., patr.
Ld. Chancellor; church, has stalls. E. Hall,
M. Stringer, Esq.

EFFORD tythg. ( ) Milford par. S W. Hants.
1 m. SW. of Lymington-93. Pop. 292 ; real prop.
2486/.

EGBURY tythg. (12) Bourne St. Marv par. N.
Hants. 3 m. NNW. of Whitchurch-96. Pop. 131.

EGDEAN par. (9) Rotherbridge hund. Arundel
rape, W. Sussex, 1 m. SE. of Petworth-49, near
R. Rother. Acres 620 ; pop. 121 + 4 ; poor r. 122/.
(Sutton Incorp.) ; real prop. 683/. St. Bartholo-
mew Rect. (Chic.) val. 80/., patr. Biddulph,
Esq. Fairs, 1 May, 4 Sept.

Ege of the Saxons, is EYE, Nnrthmptn.

EGERTON tnshp. (73) Malpas par. S W. Cheshire,.
4 m. NNE. of Malpas-168, belongs to the Eger-
tons of Bilton, whose old seat here is a barn.
Acres 850; pop. 143+3; poor r. 63/. (Xantwich
U.); real prop. 1141/. E. Hall, 2m. S., now a
barn. |gg"" EGERTON par. (3, 6) Calehill hund.
Scray lathe, Mid. Kent, 7 m. NW. of Ashford-53.
Acres 2750, with hops ; pop. 880 + 2 ; poor r. 551 /.
(W. Ashfd. U.) ; real prop. 3293Z. ; charities 2/.
St. James Cur. (Cant.) val. 111/., patr. Dean and
Chap, of St. Paul's. Fair, 5 Aug.

P. EGERTON (89) near Bolton, S. Lancash.

21. EGERTON, HIGHER, hmlt. (18) Litton Che-
ney par. W. Dorset. 4m. ENE. of Bridport-135,
under E. Hill roman camp of 47 acres, double-
ditched and oval, 1386 ft. by 749, with a fine view.

Egerton Lodge ( ) near Melton Mowbray, NE.
Leicest. Earl of Wilton.

EGG-BUCKLAND par. (24-5) Roborough hund.
SW. Devon. 2m. NNE. of Plymouth-216, con-
tains Laria Green. Acres 3800, with slate, cop-
per, etc. ; pop. 1296 + 18 ; poor r. 400/. (Plympton
St. Mary U.) ; real prop. 8107/. ; charities 28/.
Living, a Vic. (Exet.) val. 474L, patr. Ld. Chan-
cellor. Fair, 2nd Wed. June.

EGGBROUGH tnshp. (87) Kellington par. W. R.
York. 4 m. W. of Snaith-173, on Goule canal, con-
tains HIGH and Low E. hmlts. and Hut Green.
Acres 2370; pop. 229; poor r. 8 1/. ; real prop.
2682/,

EGGERTON HUNDRED (17-8) Bridport divis.
W. Dorset, contains the pars, of Askerswell, Hook,
Longbredy, Winterbourne-Abbas, Wraxall, and
part of Poorstock ; acres 9090, pop. 1766, houses
343.

EGGESFORD par. (26) N. Tawton hund. N. De-
von. 2 m. S. of Chumleigh-1 84, on R. Taw. Acres
2500 ; pop. 168 ; poor r. 34/. (Crediton U.) ; real
prop. 623/. ; charities /. Living, a Rect. (Exet.)
val. 121/., patr. Hon. N. Fellowes, of E. House,
where the E. hounds are kennelled.

EGGINGTON chplrv. (46) Leighton-Bnzzard
par. S W. Beds. 2 m. "E. of Leighton Buzzard-41.
Pop. 390 + 5; poor r. 158/. (L. Buzzard U.) ; real
prop. 2154/. Living, a Cur. (Ely) val. 99/., patr.
Parishioners. E. House, F. Moore, Esq.

P. EGGIXGTON par. (71-2) Morleston hund.
S. Derby. 3 m. NNE. of Burton-on-Trent-125, on
R. Dove, near Icknield St., Grand Trunk canal,



EGG

ami Derby rail., was Eqhintune of ' Domesdy.'
and the scene of Sir J. Cell's defeat of the royalists
KJ44. Acres 2030; pop. 374+1; poor r. 99J.
(Burton U.); real prop. 521G/. ; charities 112/.
St. Wilfrid Rect. (Lich.) val. 453/., patr. Sir H.
Every, lit. of E. Hall, C. Pole, and J. Leigh, Ksqvs.

EGGLESTONE cliplry. ( ) Middleton-in-Tees-
d.'ile par. W. Durham, 5m. NNW. of Barnard
Castle-246, near E. Burn, which runs into R. Tees.
Acres 7700, moorland, with lead, which has been
worked for a long period; pop. 617+25, in the
mines and smelting works ; poor r. 731. (Teesdale
U.) ; real prop. Il,o32/., of which 8618J. on mines ;
charities 13/. Living, a Cur. (Dur.) val. 1002.,
patr. Hector. K. Hall, Mrs. Hutchinson, who has
1 he manor ; near it is Nemal Edge, with a fine
view, and the Standing Stones cromlech.

EGGLESTONE ABBEY tnshps. ( ) Startforth
par. .V. R. York. 1 m. SE. of Barnard Castle-246,
on R. Tees, has the church and some remains of
the premonstratensian abbey founded (Hen. II.)
by Ralph de Multon. Acres 900 ; pop. 77.
'EGGLETON tnshp. (55) Bishops-Frome par. E.
Hereford. 7 in. N \V 7 . of Ledbury-120, near R.
Frome. Pop. 179 + 2 ; poor r. 5il. (Ledb. U.) ;
real prop. 905/.

Eggsyke Farm ( ) near Whailey, NE. Lan-
cash., on the Calder, a spot commanding a very
line view.

P. EGHAM par. (7) Second Godley hund. NW.
Surrey, 1 m. W. of Staines-16, on the Thames
(at the bridge) and S. West, rail., near Runny-
mead and Magna Charta Isld. Acres 7440, with
wild camomile at Camomile Hill ; pop. 4448 + 24 ;
poor r. 1999/. on 14,952/. (Windsor U.) ; real prop.
22,55 1/. ; charities 807/., of which G29/. to Strode's
school and almsh., 38/. to Denham's almsh. St. J.
Baptist Vic. (Win.) val. 575A, patr. G. Gostling,
Esq. ; church, has tombs of an Abbot John of
Chertsey, and Sir J. Denham father of the poet,
whose Cooper's Hill is in the neighbourhood ;
Christ Ch. Virginia Water Cur. /., patr. Trus-
tees. E. Lodge, J. Dobinson. Esq. ; Kingswood
Lodge, Mrs. Reid. Fair, 29-31 May. Races, Aug.
at Runnymead, on a flat course of 1 m. 1694yds.

EGILSHAY ISLAND, Rousay and Egilshay par.
Mid. Orkney, in Strousay Frith, has an old church.
Pop. 190, fishermen.

Eglaiid House ( ) near Honiton, E. Devon.
Mrs. Elliott.

Eglantine (14) near Hillsboro', NW. Down.

EGLETON par. (64) Oakham-Soke hund. W.
Rutland. 1 m. SE. of Oakham-95, near R. Gwash,
belongs to Earl Winchilsea, Acres 1450, pop.
138; poor r. 59Z. (Oakh. U.) ; real prop. 1736/.;
charities 41. St. Edmund Cur. with Oakham;
church, reb. on site of a larger, to which a guild
for masses was attached.

P. EGLINGHAM par. ( ) N. Coquetdale ward,
NE. Nortkmbrld. 6 m. NW. of Alnwick-208, be-
tween Rs. Breamish and Alne, contains Bassing-
ton and 15 other tnshps., and belongs to the
Ogles. Acres 17,G50, moorland, with coal, lime,
and building stone, a mineral spring, and pike,
etc. at Kimmere; pop. 1832 + 20; poor r. 35/.
(Alnw. U.); real prop. 1888/. ; charities 2/. St.
Maurice Vic. (Dur.) val. 835/., patr. Archdn. of
Lindist'arne.

Eglinton Castle, 2 m. N. of Irvine, N. Ayr. on
R. Lugton, scat of the Earl of Eglinton, reb.
1820-5, came from the Eglintouns (who were here
in K. Malcolm's time) through the granddaughter
of Walter Stuart to Sir J. Montgomcrie, who took
Hotspur at Otterburnc 1388; in the fine grounds
tlie tournament was revived 1839 with great
splendour.



V.C.L c,:.s)

EGLISH par. (7, 8, 11-2) Tiranny and Armagh
bars. W. Armagh, 3 m. W. of Armagh-86, ou
Ulster canal, has remains of the Hy Nials' castle,
Navan rath. Acres 10,573, good, with limestone;
pop. 5601+19. Living, a Rect. with Armagh,
and Cur. (Arm. C.) val. 1627., patr. Rector. Elm
Park, Earl Charlemont ; Knappagh, J. Johnson,
Esq. See AGLISH for other names.

EGLISH BARONY (30, etc.) King's Co. contains
the pars, of Drumcullin and Eglish ; acres 28,704,
an. val. 12,0177., pop. 6560, houses 1113. ijg"
EGLISH par. (30-1, etc.) in the above bar. W.
King's Co. 3 m. NE. of Birr-81. Acres 14,799,
with bog and limestone ; pop. 3494 + 20. Living,
a Vic. with Fircal. E. Castle, H. English, Esq.
iSaf EGLISH vil. (61) Dunganuon bar. SE.Tyrone,
4 m. SW. of Dungannon-90.

EGLOSHAYLE par. (30) Trigg hund. Mid. Corn-
wall, 1 m. SE. of VV T adebridge-239, a petty sessions
town on R. Alen. Acres 6170 (or 4250); pop.
1357+2; poor r. 5497. (Bodmin LI.); real prop.
77937. ; charities 127. Living, a Vic. (Exet.) val.
3277., patr. Bishop ; church, has a stone pulpit.
PencaiTow, Sir W. Molesworth, Bt., with remains
of a castle and camp ; also barrows at Kelly
rounds. Park, belonged to the Peverells. From
'ecclesia,' a church, as Eghvys, Eccles.

EGLOSKERRY par. (25) N. East hund. NE.
Cornwall, 4 m. NW. of Launceston-213, on a
branch of R. Tamar, has remains of Penheal, the
old seat of the Speccots, etc. Acres 3060 (or
2829), blue felspar, with manganese ; pop. 552
+ 2; poor r. 1677. (Launcost. U.) ; real prop.
29217. ; charities 227. St. Petrock Cur. (Exet.)
val. with Tremaine 1117., patr. Rev. H. A. Simcoe,
curate.

EGLSVSFAIRACHYRIG chplry. (40) Henllam-
Amgoed par. W. Carmarthen. 16 m. NNE. of
Narberth-240, on R. Taff. Pop. 288 + 3 ; poor r.
617. (Narb. U.) ; real prop. 12247. St. David Cur.
with Henllam-Amgoed. ' Eglwys,' a church.

EGLWYS-BREWIS par. (20) Cowbridge hund.
SE. Glamorgan. 4 m. S. of Cowbridge- 173. Pop.24 ;
poor r. 37. (Cowbr. U.) ; real prop. 4287. St. Bride
Cur. (Llan.) val. 937., patr. J. D. Llewelyn, Esq. ;
church, 33 ft. by 21. |^ E.-CYMIN par. (40)
Derllvs hund. *S W. Carmarthen. 4 m. W. of Lau-
gharne-230. Pop. 349 ; poor r. 1 107. ( Narberth U.) ;
real prop. 14987. ; charities 17. . St. Margaret Rect.
(St. D.) val. 1477., patr. Ld. Chancellor ; church
has mon. of Sir J. Perrot. Ij^" E.-FACH vil. (59)
Scybory-Coed tnshp. N. Cardigan. 5 m. SW. of
Machynlleth-205, near R. Dovey. Living, a Cur.
(St. Dav.) val.747., patr. Rev. L. C. Davies. ijgp E.-
FACH par. (78) Isdulas hund. Denbigh, and Isaf
hund. Carnarvon. 7 m. N. of Llanrwst-217, on a
branch of R. Conway, contains Bodnod seat of
the Hanmers, Cefny-loed, Esgorebrill, Pennant,
and Maenan seat of the Lenthals on site of the
old abbey. Size 7 in. by 4, hilly; pop. 1632
+ 17 ; poor r. 5597. (Llanr/U.) ; real prop. 47587. ;
charities 352., of which 257. to Edwards's school.
St. Martin Vic. (St. As.) val. 2207., patr. Bishop.
Fairs, 24 Feb. 11 Mar. 24 Aug. 24 Nov. $g E.-
LLAN par. (36) Caerphilly hund. E. Glamorgan.
4 m. WNW. of Caeq>hilly-160 (which it' in-
cludes), near R. Taft' and Cardiff canal, contains
Encr-Glyn a seat of the Goodriches, Glyn-Taff
cur., llendredenny, Park, and Rhyd-y-Bor-
than. Acres 12,000, with coal, iron, and tin;
pop. 3813 + 100, in the mines, pottery, and foun-
dries; poorr. 11297. on 96387. (Cardiff U.); real
prop. 7. ; charities, Alldworth's girls' school 607.,
at Caerphilly. St. Helen Vic. (Llan.) val. with
Llanvabon 1507., patr. Bishop; St. Martin Cur.
12U/., Dean and Chap. Above Castell loch is

u u 2



660



EGL



EIS



Fynnon Taf spring. Edwards, who built Pont-y-
Prydd bridge, was a native. Vann, a seat of Earl
of Plymouth, formerly the Lewises, &r E.-
NEWYDD. See LLANFIHAXGEL-Y-CROYDDIN,
Cardigan. |^^ E. NYNYDD, i. e. Nun's church,
now a farm, near Margam abbey, S W. Glamorgan.
fif E.-Rnos par. (78) Crewddyn hund. NE.
Carnarvon. 2 m. NNE. of Conway-223, has re-
mains of Diganwy castle (Camden's Dictis), one
of the oldest seats of the welsh princes. Acres 4000,
with lead and copper at Llandudno ; pop. 630 + 7 ;
poor r. 3751. (Conw. U.) ; real prop. 16787. ; cha-
rities 227. St Hilary Cur. (St. As.) val. 1077.,
patr. Bishop ; church, in a pleasant spot, has tombs
of the Mostyns of Bodscallen and Gloddaeth.

EGLAVYSAEL. SeeLLANGADWALADR, Anglesea.

EGIAVYSFAIR (40) 6 m. ENE. of Narberth
-240, W. Carmarthen, on R. Taff.

P. EGLWYSWRSV par. (40) kemess hund. NW.
Pembroke. 5 m. S. of Cardigan-239, on the Sam
Helen, under Precelly Top. Pop. 560 ; poor r.
2171. (Cardig. U.) ; real prop. 25327. ; charities 17.
St. Eirw Vic. (St. Dav.) val. 1057., patr. Ld.
Chancellor. Berllan, Rev. J. Griffiths.

EGLYNOD-EAGLE tnshp. (74) Llangollen par.
SE. Denbigh, near Llangollen-184. Pop. 180;
real prop. 7187.

EGMANTON par. (83) Bassetlaw wap. Slid.
Notts. 1 m. S. of Tuxford-137, was given by
Hen. I. to Nigel d'Albini. Acres 2220; pop.
391+5; poor r. 977. (Southwell U.) ; real prop.
27307. ; charities 141. St. Mary Vic. (Line.) val.
148/., patr. Duke of Norfolk.

EGMERE par. (68) N. Greenhoe hund. N. Nor-
folk, 3 m. W. of "Walsingham-113. Acres 1440 ;
pop. 54 ; poor r. 42/. (Walsingh. U.) ; real prop.
15191. Living, a Rect. (Norw.) val. with Water-
den 1807., patr. Earl of Leicester; church, in
ruins.

Egmont (16) 3 m. NW. of Buttevant, N. Cork.
belongs to the Percivals of Lohort, who take the
title of Earl Egmont.

Egonesham of the Saxons, is ENSHAM, Oxon.

EGREMONT par. (40) Derllys hund. W. Car-
marthen. 4 m. NNW. of Narberth-240, on R,
Cleddau. Pop. 140, in stone quarries ; poor r.
627. (Narb. U.) ; real prop. 7637. Living, a Don.
(St. Dav.) val. 517., patr. R. Mansell, Esq.

P. M. EGREMONT par. ( ) Allerdale-above-
Derwent ward, S W.Cumbrld. 20 m. SW. of Carlisle,
290 from London, on R. Ehen, near Whitehaven
rail, a polling place, and once a boro', has the keep
gate, and part of walls (with ' herring-bone ' work)
of a norman castle b. on the site of an older one
by Will, de Meschines, lord of Copeland, in 12th
century, and is governed by a sergeant, bailiffs,
etc. Acres 2850, with soapstone ; pop. 1750 + 1,
in the iron and limestone mines, sailcloth and
check manufact., tanvards, and paper mill ; poor
r. 4177. ( Whitehaven" U.) ; real prop. 13,6567., of
which 1551/. on ironworks; charities 111. St. Mi-
chael Rect. (Ches.) val. 2497., patr. Gen. Wynd-
ham, who has the manor through the last Earl
Egremont. Tumuli and a small circle are in the
neighbourhood. Mkt. D .Sat. Fairs, 18 Feb. 3rd
Frid. May, 18 Sept. horses, cattle, etc.

P. EGREMONT (79) NW. Cheshire, 2 m. NNW.
of Birkenhead-199, on R. Mersey, at the steam
ferr}' to Liverpool. Living, a Cur. (Ches.) val.
7., patr. .

EGTON chplry. ( ) Cum Newland, Ulverstone
par. N. Lancash. 3 m. N. of Ulverstone-272, near
R. Leven. Acres 3390, with iron ore ; pop. 1024,
in the ironworks ; poor r. 3607. (Ulvers. U.) ; real
prop. 17327. St. Marv Cur. (Ches.) val. 927., patr.
J. P. Machell, Esq. "



P. EGTON par. (104) E. Langbaurgh lib. N. R.
York. 6 m. WSW. of Whitby-236, on R. Esk, near
Yk. and N. Midld. branch rail., contains E. BRIDGE
hmlt. Lunberhill, and Newbegin, was a mkt. town,
and had Grosmont priory, found, about 1200 by
Joanna de Tnrnham. Acres 13,570, moorland, with
Cold Kell well and Mallin Spout fall; pop. 1128
+ 5 ; poor r. 177/. (Whitby U.) ; real prop. 58337. ;
charities 41. St. Helda 'Cur. (Yk.) val. 1207.,
patr. Archbp. E. Bridge, R. Smith, Esq. Fairs,
Tu. before 15 Feb. 11 May, 4 Sept. and 22 Nov. ;
also for Tu. before Palm Sund. every week to
Midsummer, cattle, etc.

EGWAD hmlt. (41) Llanegwad par. Mid. Car-
marthen. 7 m. ENE. of Carmarthen-218. Pop.
339 ; real prop. 1513/.

Egypt (11) m. WNW. of Cowes, I. of Wight,
S. Hants, a seat of Sir T. Tancred, Bt. g|" EGYPT
hmlt. (20) Nettlecombe par. W. Somerset. 4 m.
S. of Watchet-156.

Ehen River ( ) rises near the Pillar, 5.
Cunibrld. and runs by Ennerdale Water and Egre-
mont, to the sea near Ponsonby.

EIDDA tnshp. (79) Yspytty par. E. Curnarvvn.
9 m. SSE. of Llanrwst-217, on R. Con way. Pop.
412 ; poor r. 1747, (Llanr. U.) ; real prop! 13617.

Eidh Water, runs from L. Callader, S W. Aber~
deen. to R. Dee.

Eigg, or Egg, Isld., Small Isles par. S W. In-



Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 184 of 293)