Copyright
James A Sharp.

A new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) online

. (page 195 of 293)
Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 195 of 293)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Oxford. F. Grove, is a meet for the Heythrop
hounds.

Farmingwood Hall (64) 5 m. W. of Oandle, 2V.
Northmptn. the Ladies Fitzpatrick, was the old
lodge of Rockingham forest.

Farmley (23) near Abbeyleix, S. Queen's Co.

Farmley House (15) 4 m. SW. of Ferns, 2V.
Wexford, on R. Slaney, G. R. Richards, Esq.

Farmly (23) 4 m. NE. of Callan, W. Kilkenny,
W. L. Flood, Esq.

Farn Islds. See Fern Jslds. Northmbrld.

Farnagh Hall (71) 5 m. N. of Derby, Mid.
Derby.

FARNBOROUGH par. (13) Compton hund. Mid.
Berks. 5 m. SSE. of Wantage-60, is a meet for
the Bramshill hounds. Acres 2720 ; pop. 204 ;
poor r. 1377. (Want. U.) ; real prop. 29447. AH
Saints Rect. (Oxon.) val. 2917., patr. R. C. Price,
Esq.

P. FARNBOROUGH par. (8) Lower Crondall
hund. NE. Hants, on S. West. rail. 31 m.
from London, 8 m. ENE. of Odiham-40, on
Basingstoke canal. Acres 2370 ; pop. 356 + 2 ;
poor r. 1317. ; real prop. 24627. ; charities 37.
Living, a Rect. (Win.) val. 1237., patr. H. Cloy-
ton, Esq. F. Place, W. Lawrell, Esq. Farnboro'
P. L. Incorporation, formed in 1846, contains the
pars. etc. of Cove, Farnboro', Hawley, and Yate-
ley ; expend. 9487., prop, rated 10,7707. Sup.
Registry was taken from Farnham in 1846 ; pop.
7124 + 42. It belongs to Farnham New County
Court district.

P. FARNBOROUGH par. (6) Ruxley hnnd. Sut-
ton-at-Hone lathe, NW. Kent, 4 m. SSE. of
Bromley-12, was a mkt. town, and has Bromley
Union poor ho. and an E-police stat. Acres 1420 ;
pop. 680 + 5 ; poor r. 2307. (Broml. U.) ; real prop.
24437. ; charities 27. St. Giles Cur. with Chels-
field ; church, b. 1639. Gave title of baron to the
Longs. Fair, 12 Sept. Igif FARNBOROUGH par.
(53) Kington hund. SE. Warwick. 6 m. ESE. of
Kington-83, near F. Hill and Oxford canal, was
Fernberge at ' Domesdy." and came to the Says
and Raleighs. Acres 2430 ; pop. 367 ; poor r.
2107. (Banbury U.) ; real prop. 38827.; charities
507., of which 427. to Freckleton's school. St. Bo-
tolph Vic. (Wore.) val. 3047., patr. W. Ilolbeeh,



FAR

I'lsq. of F. Park through the above. A meet for
the Warwick, hounds.

FARXCOMB tvthg. (8) Godalming par. W.
Surrey, 1 m. N^E. of Godalming-33. Real prop.
32727. Living, a Cur. (Win.) val. I., patr. .
Igr Farncomb (44) 3 m. WSW. of Chip. Camden,
NE. Gloucest.

FARXDALE, EAST SIDE, tnshp. ( ) Lasting-
hain par. N. R. York. 9 m. NE. of Helmsley-222.
Acres 4850 ; pop. 383 ; poor r. 1857. (Helms. U.) ;
real prop. 36067. J3T F., HIGH QUAKTER, or
West Side tnshp. ( ) Kirkby-Moorside par. W.
R. York, near Kirkby Moorside-228, contains
Bransdale-East-Side. Acres 8950 ; pop. 275 ; poor
r. 987. 1J3" F., Low QUARTER, tnshp. as above.
Acres 3560 ; pop. 188 ; poor r. 271.

FAKNDISH par. (52) Willey hund. Beds, and
Higham-Ferrars hund. Northmptn. 5 m. SE. of
Wellingboro'-67. Acres 810 ; pop. 80 ; poor r.
M:>/. (Wellingb. U.) ; real prop. 11737. St. Michael
Sect. (Ely) val. ICO/., patr. C. Chester, Esq.

P. FAKXDOX par.(73) Higher Broxton par. iS W.
Cheshire, 7 m. S. of Chester- 183, at the 10-arch'd
bridge on R. Dee, containing Barton, Churton,
Clutton, and Crewe, in Holt Borough, was Foren-
dtm of ' Domesdy.' and the birthplace of Speed the
historian (d. 1629). Acres 3050, of town 1120 ;
pop. 999 + 23, and 521 ; poor r. 1737. (Gt. Boughton
U.) ; real prop. 38107. ; charities 397., of which
247, to schools. St Chad Cur. (Ches.) val. 1157.,
patr. Marquis of Westminster ; church, reb. on
site of one burnt 1645, has a stained window
with portraits of the Cheshire royalists. gg
FARXDON par. (70) S. Newark wap. E. Notts.

2 m. SW. of Newark-124, at the ferry on R. Trent,
and the Fosseway. Acres 1710 ; pop. 575, stock-
ing makers ; poor r. 967. (Newark U.) ; real prop.
5870*. ; charities 327. St. Peter Vic. (Line.) vaL
with Balderton 2442,, patr. the Prebend.

FARNDON, EAST, par. (63) Rothwell hund. N.
Northmptn. 2 m. SW. of Mkt, Harborough-83.
Acres 1070 ; pop. 250 ; poor r. 1627. (M. Harboro'
U.) ; real prop. 31527. ; charities 317. St. J. Bap-
tist Sect, (Pet.) val. 4007., patr. St. John's ColL
Oxon. (3 F., WEST, hmlt. (53) Woodford par.
SE. Northmptn. 8 m. SW. of Daventry-72. Pop.
128.

FARNELL, FARXWELL, or FERXELL, par. 3 m.
SE. of Brechin-74, E. Forfar. on the S. Esk, has
remains of the Airleys' castle, and includes
Kiunaird old par. the seat of the Carnegies. Size

3 in. by 2, low and well cultivated, with wood,
and Monroman muir at R. Pow's head ; pop. 620
+3; real prop. 52462.; for poor 882. Living
(presb. Brech.) val. 2517., patr. Crown. Salmon
and trout are caught.

FARXEY BARONY (30-2, etc.) Monaghan, con-
tains the pars, of Donaghmoyne, Magheracloone,
Magheross. and parts of Inishkeen and Killanney ;
acres 67,436, an. val. 46,3967., pop. 44,107. houses
7%4.

Farney Castle (40-1) nearThurles,3./u/. Tippery.
Major W. Armstrong.

Farnham (20) 2 m. W. of Cavan, Mid. Cavan,
Lord Farnham, near R. Erne. lgy FARNHAM
par. (47) Clavering hund. NW. Essex, 2 m. N. of
Bishop Stortford-30, near Cambridge rail. Acres j
1360, part common ; pop. 549 + 2 ; poor r. 6211.
(Stortford U.); real prop. 2825> : . ; charities 617.
of which 457. to Gosling's school. St. Mary Rect. \
(Roch.) val. 5187., patr. Trinity Coll. Oxon. !
lgp FARNHAM tnshp. ( ) Allenton par. Mid. \
Northmbrld. 4 m. W. of Rothbury-304, near R. ,
Coquet. Pop. 40.

P. FARNHAM par. (50) Plomesgate hund. E. ;
Suffolk, 2 m. SW. of Stixmundham-89, near j



FAR



697



R. Aide. Acres 740; pop. 186; poor r. 767.
(Plomesg. U.); real prop. 14747. St. Mary Cur.
(Norw.) val. 787., patr. W. Long, Esq.

FARXIIAM HUXDRED (8) StV. Surrey, con-
taining the pars, of Elstead, Farnham, Frensham,
and Seal, was given to Bps. of Winchester by
Ethelbald, and called Fearn-ham, i. e. fern town ;
acres 26,680, pop. 9438, houses 1802.

P. M. FARXIIAM par. in the above hund. 10 m.
WSW. of Guildford, 38 from London, on R. Wey,
a polling and petty sess. town noted for its hops,
and which sent members to parls. of 4 Ed. II. and
28 Hen. VI., contains Badshot, Culverlands, Run-
wick, and Hale and Wrecklesham curs., with F.
Castle the seat of the Bps. of Winchester, first b. by
Bp. de Blois, brother of K. Stephen, razed by Hen.
III. but reb. and garrisoned for Ch. I. b}' Denham,
from whom it was taken 1642 by Sir W. Waller,
and being dismantled was restored as at present
by Bp. Morley at the Restoration. Acres 10,510,
of which above 900 are in hop grounds of 10 to 60
acres, which let from 67. to 207., and produce 6 J cwt.
per acre ; pop. 6615 + 78, of town 3400 + 26, for-
merly in the clothing but now in the hop trade,
first introduced about 1700; houses 636, in one
street, with 2 chapels, mkt. house, bank, savings bk.
(39,0957. from 1130 depositors), gram, school (227.),
Windsor's almsh. (807.), and Union p. house;
poor r. 3o927. on 21,3987.; real prop. 13,6497.;
charities 2687., of which H. Smith's for poor 737.
St. Andrew Vic. (Win.) val. 4307., patr. Archd. of
Surrey; church, which belonged to Waverley
abbey (of which the remains are near) has some
good tracery in the windows. Remains of the old
castle keep are standing. Moor Park was the
seat of Temple ; Bp. Nicholas de F., and Toplady
the calvinist divine, were natives. F. Hill, 700 ft.
high (300 above the surface), near the common,
is of sand and gravel, and gives rise to 14 or 15
springs of pure soft water, yielding 685,454 gals,
per day, enough for 8739 houses at 75 gal. per house.
Farn. P.L. Union, formed in 1846, contains the pars,
etc. of Farnham, Frensham, Frimley, Waverley in
Surrey, and Aldershot (a workh.), and Ducken-
field in Hants. ; expend. 59777., prop, rated 34,9027.
Sup.Reffistry comprises the same (except Waverley
and Duckingfield), with Ash, Puttenham, Scale,
hi Surrey, Bramshott, Headley, Kingsley, Long
Sutton, and Yately in Hants. ; pop. 10,658 + 122.
The New County Court district includes the Re-
gistry (except Bramshott which goes to Mid-
hurst), with that of Farnboro'. Mkt. D. Thurs.
Fairs, Holy Thurs. Midsum. day, 13 Nov. horses,
cattle, etc.

FARXHAM par. ( ) Lower Claro wap. W. R.
York. 2 m. N. of Knaresborough-202, on a branch
of R. Ure, containing Ferensby and Scotton, be-
longs to the Maudes of Woodlands. Acres 2780,
with copper veins, of town 1350 ; pop. 580, and
170; poor r. 417. (Gt. Ouseburn Incorp.); real
prop. 17807. Living, a Cur. (Rip.) val. 130., patr.
Incumbent and Shann, Esq.

FARNHAM, LITTJJE, par. (15) Cranborne hund.
NE. Dorset. 7 m. W. of Cranborne-93. Acres
2200; pop. 117; poor r. 27. (Wiuborne U.); real
prop. 15337. St. Laurence Rect. (Sal.) val. 1497.,
patr. Ld. Chancellor. Fair, 21 Aug. cheese.

P. FARNHAM-ROYAI, par. (7) Burnham hund.
5. Sucks. 4 in. N. of Windsor-22, near Gt. West,
rail, containing Hedgerley-Dean, Seer-Green cur.,
and Salt- Hill, belongs to the crown, and was held
by finding a glove at the king's coronation. Acres
2910; pop. 1258 + 6; poor r. 4757. (Eton U.);
real prop. 34157. ; charities 1047., of which Hether-
ington's school 147., church estate 857. St. Mary
Rect. (Oxon.) val. 5397., patr. Eton Coll. Bp.



698



FAR



FAR



Chandler and J. Bryant are buried here, gif F.-
TOLLAKD. See TOLLABD FARNHAM, Dorset.

FARNHILL tnshp. ( ) Kildwick par. W. R.
York. 3 m. S. of Skipton-216, on Leeds and Liver-
pool canal. Acres 400, with lead at Glusburn
Moor; pop. 459; poor r. 1567. (Skipt. U.) ; real
prop. 33597.

FARNHURST, or FERNHURST, par. (9) Ease-
bourne hund. Chichester rape, NW. Sussex, 4 m.
NNE. of Midhurst-50. Acres 4680 ; pop. 762 ;
poor r. 5851. (Midh. U.) ; real prop. 20867. Living,
a Cur. (Chic.) val. 111/., patr. Earl of Egmont.

P. FARNINGHAM par. ( 6) Axton hund. Sutton-
at-Hone lathe, NW. Kent, 4 m. S. of Dartford
-15, on R. Darent, was Ferninqhame at ' Domesdy.'
and a mkt. town under the Beales. Acres 2880 ;
pop. 701, some in the paper mills ; poor r. 3357.
(Dartf. U.) ; real prop. 46847. ; charities 1417., of
which Roper's for this and other places 121/. St.
Peter and Paul Vic. (Cant.) val. 2607., patr.
Archb. ; church, has 5 brasses from 1451 (W.
Gylborne a priest, etc.), and an old 8-sided sculp-
tured font, 4 ft. 3 in. high. Eynesford Castle is
near. Fairs, 15 Oct. horses.

FARNLEY chplry. (88) Leeds par. W. R. York.
3 m. WSW. of Leeds-189. Acres 2070 ; pop.
1530, in the cloth trade, with 135 looms at work ;
poor r. 2907. ; real prop. 6328/. Living, a Cur.
(Rip.) val. 204/., patr. Vicar.

FARNLEY tnshp. ( ) Otley par. W.R. York.
2 m. NNE. of Otley-205, near R. Wharfe. Acres
1810 ; pop. 217 + 2 ; poor r. 51/. (Carlton Incorp.) ;
real prop. '25881. Living, a Cur. (Rip.) val. 407.,
patr. F. H. Fawkes, Esq., of F. Hall, where
among other paintings are Guide's ' Magdalene,'
and Vandyke's ' Duchess of Aremberg.'

FARNLEY TYAS tnshp. (88) Almondbury par.
W.R. York. 3 m. SSE. of Huddersfield-189, con-
tains F.-HEY hmlt. and Woodsome-Lees. Acres
1740 ; pop. 844 ; poor r. 141/. (Huddersf. U.) ; real
prop. 33607. Living a Cur. (Rip.) val. 100/., patr.
Earl Dartmouth.

FARNSFIELD par. (71, 82) Thurgaton wap.
Mid. Notts. 4 m. NW. of Southwell- 132, near
R. Greet. Acres 3920 ; pop. 1099 + 8 ; stocking
makers; poor r. 1997. (Southw. U.); real prop.
49367. ; charities 337., of which 201. to school. St.
Michael Vic. (Line.) val. 165/., patr. Chap, of
Coll. Ch. Southwell. F. House, W. Houldsworth,
Esq.

FARNUA par. joined to KIRKHILL, Inverness.

P. FARNWORTH chplry. (89) Deane par. S.
Lancash., 3 m. SSE. of Bolton-le-Moors-197, near
Leigh and Manch. rails. Acres 1450 ; pop. 4829
+ 190 in the cotton, coal, paper works; poor r.
4477. (Bolton U.) ; real prop. 20,4827., of which
85647. on mines. Living, a Vic. (Manch.) vaL
1507., patr. Hulme's Trustees.

P. FARNWORTH par. chplry. (80) Prescot par.
SW. Lancash. 4 m. SE. of Prescot-198, near
Runcorn Gap rail., contains Bold, Cronton, Diton,
and Widness. Pop. 3836 ; poor r. I. ; real prop.
I. St. Luke Cur. (Ches.) val. 1727. patr. Vicar.
gg FARNWORTH vil. Widness tnshp. near the
above.

Farout Head, E. side of Durness Bay, N.
Suthrld. 7 m. E. of Cape Wrath.

P. FARR par. 20 m. NW. of Kildonan-239, N.
Suthrld. on the coast between F. Head and
Strathy. Hd., includes Strathy q. s. par. Armadale
and Sandy bays, and is watered by Rs. Borgie,
Naver (with a loch), and Strathy. Size 30 m.
by 14, mountainous, rising ft. at Clibrigg hill,
with a rocky, cave-eaten coast, where seals,
whales, etc., are caught; pop. 2217+ 14, gaelic-
speaking ; real prop. 8087. ; for poor 3937. Living



(presb. Tongue) val. 1G7L, patr. Duke of Suther-
land, sole heritor ; church, has a danish pillar near
it. Tumuli, and 6 or 7 pictish forts, are seen.

Farraghroe (14) near Longford, Mid. Lonqford,
W. Boull, Esq/

Farraline Loch, E. side of L. Ness, NE. Inver-
ness, was a seat of the Frazers of Stratherrick.

Farranekilty (43) near Dingle, W. Kerry, P.
Hussey, Esq.

Farrenconnell House ( ) near Mount Nugent,
S. Cavan, R. Nugent, Esq.

Farrer Water, runs from L. Monar. N. Inver-
ness. 14 m. E. to R. Beauly at Erchless Cast.,
through Glen- Farrer or Farradale.

FARRINGDON chplry. (15) Iwerne Courtney
par. N. Dorset. 6 m. NNW. of Blandford-103,
formerly gave name to the hund. Pop. 34.

P. FARRINGDON par. (8) Upper Selborne hund.
NE. Hants. 2 m. S. of Alton-47. Acres 2430;
pop. 545 + 4 ; poor r. 3447. (Alton U.) real prop.
27367.; charities 17. All Saints Rect. (Wine.)
val. 4767., patr. Hall's Representatives. i^ Far-
ringdon (89) 4 m. S. of Preston-217, Mid. Lancash.

FARRINGDON HUNDRED (13, 34) NW. Berks.
contains the pars, of Gt. Barrington, Gt. Coxwell,
Shilton, and parts of Gt. Farringdon, Inglesham,
and Langford, in the vale of White Horse ; acres
9880, pop. 4545, houses 897.

P. M. FARRINGDON, GREAT, par. in the above,
and Shrivenham hunds. 30 m. WNW. of Reading,
68 from London, and 5 from F. Road Station, on
Gt. West. rail, a polling and petty sessions town,
containing Little Coxwell, Littleworth curs. Hos-
pital, Wadley, under F. Hill, whence there is a fine
view, was Fearndun, a seat of the W. Saxons,
where Edw. the Elder died, and had a castle
razed by Stephen, upon which John founded a
cistertian cell to Beaulieu, Hants., which was
given to the Seymours and Englefields. Acres
6910, with hop grounds ; pop. 3593 + 56, in the
hog and bacon trade ; houses 529, with chapel,
townhall, 2 banks, savings bk. (22,2787. from 654
depositors), school, and Union p. house ; poor r.
14827. on 99837, ; real prop. I, charities 1537., of
which Union's 457. All Saints Vic. (Oxon.) val.
with Little Coxwell 2657., patr. Simeon's Trustees ;
church, on the hill, early eng. cruciform, with
curious door hinges, 4 brasses of the Parkers,
etc. (from 1471), and mon. of Unton, Elizabeth's
ambassador, who challenged the Duke of Guise
for speaking against his queen. At Radcot bridge
Hen. IV., when Earl of Derby, beat De Vere
1387. F. Grove, a meet for the Old Berksh.
hounds ; F. House, seat of W. Bennet, belonged
to Pye, sometime poet laureate. Faringd. P.
L. Union, contains the pars. etc. of Ashbury,
Balking, Buckland, Buscot, Charney, Coleshill,
Compton Beauchamp, Coxwell (Great and Little),
Eaton Hastings, Farringdon (Great and Little),
Hatford, Hinton, Langford, Longcot, Longworth,
Pusey, Shellingford, Shrivenham, Stanford, Uf-
fington, Woolstone, Lichlade in Glouc., with
Bourton, Fernham, Kingston Lisle, Watchfield in
Berks., and Grafton, Kelmscot, and Radcot in
Oxfd. ; acres 65,880, pop. 15,582, cases relieved (yr.
1846-7) 2522 (out-door 1944), expend. 79617.,
prop, rated 95,3037. Sup. Registry comprises the
same up to Woolstone, with Littleworth, Draycot-
Moor, and Goosey; pop. 15,583 + 145. The New
County Court district corresponds with the Regis-
try. Mkt. D. Tnes. Fairs, 13 Feb. Tuesd. before
and after Michael., 29 Oct., horses, cattle, hogs.

FARRINGDON, LITTLE, tythg. (34) Langford par.
6 m. NW. of the above, locally in Oxford. Acres
1010 ; pop. 153 ; poor r. 887. (Fan-ing. U.) ; real
prop. 17937. Living, a Cur. with Langford. giT



FAR

F., HIGHER and LOWER, hinlts. (18) Babcary
par. SE. Somerset. 4 m. VVSW. of Castle-Cary
-113.

Farringford Hill (11) near Freshwater, I. of
Wight, S\ Hants. J. Hamborough, Esq.

P. FARRINGTON tnshp. (89) Penwortham par.
Mid. Lancash. 3 m. S. of Preston-217, a station on
Wigan rail, and R. Lostock. Acres 1940, part
marshy; pop. 1719 + 104, in the cotton mills;
poor r. 231/. (Prest. U.) ; real prop. 6447/. Liv-
ing, a Cur. (Manch.) val. 120/., patr. Incumbent.
fliP FARRINGTON lordshp. (56) Knighton par.
NE. Radnor, near Knighton -165. Pop. 117;
real prop. 1563/.

P. FARRINGTON-GURNEY par. (19) Chewton
hund. NE. Somerset. 10 m. NW. of Frome-103,
belonged to the Gourneys, now to Duchy of
Cornwall. Acres 890 ; pop. 605 + 4 ; poor r.
203 (Glutton U.) ; real prop. 3933/., of which
1431/. on mines. Living, a Cur. with Chewton
Mendip.

FARSID vil. (88) Imokilly bar. E. Cork, 3 m.
SW. ofCastlemartyr-149. Pop. 212.

P. FARSLEY tnshp. ( ) Colverley par. W. R.
York. 4 m. NE. of Bradford-196, is joined to COL-
VERLEY. St. J. Evangelist Cur. (Rip.) val. 150/.,
patr. Vicar.

FARTHERFORD, LOWER, hmlt. ( ) Okehamp-
ton par. Mid. Devon, near Okehampton-195.

FARTHING PITTS hmlt. (21) Wellington par.
SW. Somerset, near Wellington- 148.

FARTHINGHOE par. (45) King's Sutton hund.
SW. Northmptn. 4 m. NW. of Brackley-63.
Acres 3320 ; pop. 409 ; poor r. 21 9Z. (Brack. U.) ;
real prop. 2974Z. St. Michael Rect. (Pet.) val.
434Z., patr. Earl Wilton. Seat of G. Rush, Esq.
Thicknesse, a tourist, etc., was a native.

P. FARTHINGSTONE par. (53) Fawsley hund.
W. Northmptn. 5 m. SSE. of Daventry-72, con-
tains Castle Dykes double-ditched camp of 13
acres, and another of 7 acres, of which nothing
certain is known. Acres 1820 ; pop. 315 + 2 ;
poor r. 159/. (Davent. U.) ; real prop. 2510/. ; cha-
rities, Knightley's school 71. St. Mary Rect.
(Pet.) val. 285Z., patr. Bishop.

FARTHORPE limit. (83) W. Ashby par. Mid.
Lincoln. 2 m. N. of Horncastle-134.

FARTOWN hmlt. (88) Huddersfield par. W. R.
York, near Huddersfield-189.

FARTULLAGH BARONY (25-7, etc.) S. West-
meath, the O'Dowley's and Tyrrels' old country,
contains the pars, of Carrick, Castlelost, Clonfad,
Enniscoffey, Kilbride, Lynn, Moylisker, Pass of
Kilbride, and parts of Mullingar and Newtown ;
acres 39,340, an. val. 23,674i, pop. 93,124, houses
1613.

P. FARWAY par. (22) Colyton hund. E. Devon.
2 m. S. of Honiton-148. Acres 3420 ; pop. 376
+ 1 ; poor r. 193Z. (Honit. U.) ; real prop. 2720/. ;
charities 9/. St. Michael Rect. (Exet.) val. 247/.,
patr. Rev. T. Putt ; church, has norman remains.

Faseny (46) 1 m. SE. of Ware, E. Herts.

Faskadle, or Faskadil, 7 m. W. by S. of Loch
Moydart, N. Argyll.

Faskally, near Moulin, N. Perth, where R. Tum-
mel joins R. Garry, A. Butter, Esq., with the Black
Spout fall in the grounds.

FASKINE vil. Old Monkland par. NW. Lanark.
4 m. SW. of Airdrie-32. Pop. 408.

Fasque, 2 m. N. of Fettercairne, W. Kincar-
dine. Sir J. Gladstone, Bt.,

FASSADININ BARONY (10-1, etc.) N. Kilkenny,
contains the pars, of Castlecomer, Donaghmore,
Dunmore, Dysart, Grangemaccomb, Kilmacar,
Kilmademoge, Kilmenan, Mayne, Muckalee, and
Darts of Abbeyleix, Attanagh, Coolcraheen, Kil-



FAV 699

madum, Mothell, Odagh, Rathaspick, Rathbeagh,
and Rosconnell ; acres 68,174, pop. 30,537, houses
4999.

Fassfeni, between Lochs Shiel and Eil, N. Ar-
gyll. 8 m. WNW. of Fort William, Sir D. Came-
ron, Bt.

Fast Castle, near St. Abb's Head, N. Berwick.
on a wild cliff by the sea, belonged to the Homes,
Logan of Restalrig, etc., now to Halls of Dunglas,
and is the original of the Master of Ravenswood's
in the ' Bride of Lammermuir.'

Fastnet Rock ( ) 5 m. SW. of Cape Clear, S W.
Cork, in lat. 51 24' N., long. 9 36' W., has a
lighthouse building on it, is 103 ft. above low
water, and has a shoal J m. from it, with 12 ft.
water.

Fatfidd Starth ( ) 7 m. NNE. of Durham, NE.
Durham, near Lambton Park.

Fathom Park (29) near Newry, SE. Armagh.

Fatlips Castle, at Symington, N. Lanark, was
a feat of the Lockharts, etc.

FAUGH tnshp. ( ) with Fenton, Hayton par.
NE. Cumbrld. 4 m. SSW. of Brampton-311, on a
branch of R. Eden, near Newcastle rail. Pop.
339; real prop. 2093J.

FAUGHALSTOWN par. (7, 8, 12) Fore bar. N.
Westmeath, 3 m. SW. of Castlepollard-52, on L.
Derveragh. Acres 7050, with limestone; pop.
1618 + 6. Living, a Vic. with Rathgraff. Re-
mains of castle, raths, etc., are found.

Faughan Hill ( ) near Kells, Mid. Meaih,
364 ft. high.

FAUGHANVALE par. (15-6 etc.) Tirkeeran bar.
W. Londondy. 4 m. E. of Londonderry- 143, on
F. River, which joins L. Foyle, was granted, 1609,
to the Grocers' Com p., whose cast, was taken
by parl. Acres 18,528, well cultivated, with
slate ; pop. 5929, decreasing. Living, a Cur. (Dy.
R.) val. 94/., patr. Dean of Deny. Foyle Pk.,
L. Alexander, Esq. ; Willsbrough, T. Scott, Esq.

FAUGHART, or FOGHARD, par. (3, 4, 7) Upper
Dundalk bar. N. Louth, a police station, 3 m. NE.
of Dundalk-50, on the Pale, contains F. Fort
(60 ft. high), Dungooley a seat of the O'Nials,
and had a nunnery found. 638, by St. Monenna,
with a monastery by St. Bridget (a native ?).
Acres 2480, with limestone ; pop. 1869 + 22. Liv-
ing, a Rect. (Arm. C.) val. 222/., patr. Bishop.
F. House, D. M'Neale, Esq.

FAULD tnshp. (72) Hanbury par. E. Stafford.
H m. W. of Tutbury-128, on R. Dove. Acres
860 ; pop. 56.

FAULDHOCSE vil. Whitburn par. S. Linlithgw.
3m. S. ofWhitburn-20.

FAULKBOURN par. (47) Witham hund. Mid.
Essex, 3 m. NW. of Witham-37, belonged to
Hamo Dapifer and the Fortescues. Acres 750 ;
pop. 157; poor r. 62/. (With. U.) ; real prop.
1924Z. ; charities 71. St. German Rect. (Roch.)
val. 267/., patr. J. Bullock, Esq. of F. Hall, which
is restored on the old seat, of which the gate re-
mains, and on the site, it is said, of a roman
villa ; a cedar here is 18$ ft. girth, larger
than any in Engld. Church, has 2 brasses from
1576.

FAULS tnshp. (41) Frees par. N. Salop, 4 m.
NE. of Wem-163. Pop. 102.

FACLSTONE hmlt. (15) Bishopstone par. S.
Wilts. 3 m. SSW. of Wilton-84.

Faunchin River. See Funcheon, Cork.

FAVERSHAM HUNDRED (3) Scray lathe, N.
Kent, contains the pars, of Badlesmere reef., Buck-
land, Davington, Eastling r., Faversham rie.,
Goodnestone r., St. Thomas Isle of Harty cur.,
Leaveland r., Luddenham r., Newnham p., Norton
r., Oare c., Ospringc ., Preston r., Sheldwicks P*



700



FAV



FAW



Stalisfield r., Stone, Throtvley ., and part of
Otterdea r. ; acres 24,510, pop. 10,255, houses
1991. See OSPRINGE DEANERY.

P. M. FAVERSHAM, or FEVEKSHAM, par. In and
Out Liberty, in the above hund. 9 m. WN W. of Can-
terbury, 47 from London, near S. East, rail., a bond-
ing port and member of Dover cinque-port, near
R. Swale, or F. Creek, opposite Sheppey Isld., was
Favresfield, a seat of the saxon kings, where Athel-
stan, 930, held a wittenagemot, was Favreshant
at ' Domesdy.' and given by Stephen to his cluniac
abbey found. 1147, with the privilege of sanctuary,
which being granted by Hen. VIII. to the
Cheyneys, came through the Arderns and others
to Sondes, Earl Feversham ; is a boro" by pre-
scription, the bounds under the new act in-
cluding Brent Hill, and parts of Davington,
Ospringe, and Preston, governed by a mayor, 4
aid., 12 council., with the style of " may. jurats,
and commonalty of town of F." and revenue of 839Z.
Acres 2270, of which 1840 are 'out;' pop. 4621
+ 40 (580 being ' out '), in the corn and coasting
trade, also in the valuable oyster fisheries, which
are under the " Company of free fishermen and
dredgermen ; " houses 917, with 3 chapels, guild-
hall, partly timbered, theatre, assembly room,
bank, savings bk. (58.172/. from 1834 depositors),
gaol, custom-house, gov. powder factory, where
as many as 13,000 barrels yearly have been made,
and which blew up 1781, Dr. Cole's gram, school
(200/.), Menfield's and Napleton's almsh. (85/.)
and Union p. house ; poor r. 1888Z. on 15,423/. ;
real prop. 4803Z. ; charities 1193Z., of which
Hatche's for maintaining the creek, etc. 592/.,
Caslock's for apprenticing 2271. St. Mary Vic.
(Cant.) val. 342Z., patr. Dean and Chap. ; church,
cruciform, on the site of the old saxon one, has a
crypt, effigies, and 5 brasses (from 1458) of Hatche,
2 priests, and others. Only part of the abbey
walls, in which Stephen and his queen were
buried, are left. Hen. VIII. was here 1519, 1522,
and 1545 ; his sister Mary 1515 ; Eliz. in 1573 ;
Ch. II. 1660 ; Jas. II. seized by the sailors 1688, in
trying to escape to France. In 1846, 286 sail of
10,211 tons (216 being under 50 t. each) and 1
steamer of 9 t. belonged to the port, which has
Herne Bay, Milton, Whitstable, for sub-ports;



Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 195 of 293)