Copyright
James A Sharp.

A new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) online

. (page 196 of 293)
Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 196 of 293)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and the tonnage Inwards undOutwards, including
repeated voyages, was ' coastwise' 1325 sail of
97,434, and 1236 of 45,845 t., from ' colonies' 6 of
718 t., from and to foreign ports 23 of 1646, and
15 of 863 t. (besides 11 foreigners of 1194, and 1
of 54 t.) ; total customs 4351Z. Hamo and Simon
de F., Wilson l.he musician, and Bp. Marsh ( ?)
were natives ; and it gives title of baron to the
Duncombes. " ArJern of Faversham," a tragedy
printed 1592, is founded on the murder of an
Ardern, 1550, by his wife. St. Crispin, they say,
was apprenticed to a shoemaker here. Faversh.
P. L. Union, contains the pars, in the above hund.
(except St. Thomas and Otterden), with Bough-
ton, Doddington, Dunkirk, Graveney, Hernehill,
Lynsted, Selling, Tevnham ; acres 44,052, pop.
15,915, cases relieved (yr. 1846-7) 1869 (out-door
1431), expend. 7502Z., prop, rated 77.860Z. Sup.
Registry comprises the same except Buckland,
Dunkirk, Stone ; pop. 15,914 + 99 : a ' few ' deaths
from cholera in 1849. The New County Court
district corresponds with the Registry. Mkt. JDs.
Wed. Sat. Fair, Michaelmas.

FAVIHLEY or FAINLEY tnshp. ( ) Hartburn
par. Mid. Northmbrld. 10 m. W. of Morpeth-289.
Pop. 12.

Favor Royal (59) near Augher, S. Tyrone, J.
Montray, Esq.

JAWCETT-FOREST tnshp. ( ) Orton and Kendal



pars. Mid. Westmrld. G m. NE. of Kendal-26'2,
belonged to Byland abbey. Pop. 83.

FAWDINGTON tnshp. ( ) Cundall par, N. P.
York. 5 m. NE. of Boroughbridge-206, near R.
Swale. Acres 330 ; pop. 40.

FAWDON tnshp. ( ) Gosforth par. SE. North-
mbrld. 3 m. NNW. of Newcastle-275. Pop. 544,
decreasing, colliers ; poor r. 50Z. (Castle Ward U.).
<gp FAWDON tnshp. ( ) with Clinch and Hart-
side ( ) Ingram par. N. Northmbrld. 9 m. NNW
of Rothbury-304, near R, Beamish. Pop. 54.

FA WEATHER hmlt ( ) Bingley tushp. IV. R.
York, near Bingley-202.

P. FAWKHAM par. ( ) Axton hund. Sutton-at-
Hone lathe, NW. Kent, 5 m. SE. of Dartford-15.
Acres 1060, part common ; pop. 277 + 7 ; poor r.
68/. (Dartf. U.) ; real prop. 1416Z. St. Mary Rect.
(Roch.) val. 252Z., patr. P. Pusey and T. C.
Adams, Esqrs.

FAWLER hmlt. (13) Sparshott par. NW. Berks.
4 m. W. of Wantage-GO, had a chapel. Pop. 144.
l^T FAWLER hmlt. (45) Charlbury par. Mid.
Oxford. 7 m. SSE. of Chipping-Norton-73, on R.
Evenload. Acres 980 ; pop. 123 ; poor r. 134Z.
(C. Norton U.) ; real prop. 1894/.

FAWLEY par. (13) Desborough hund. S1V.
Sucks. 2 m. NNW. of Henley-35, near the Thames
on Oxfd. border, belonged to the Whitelocks, of
whom was the author of the ' Memorials.' Acres
20 JO, woody ; pop. 280 + 3 ; poor r. 388/. (Henley
U.) ; real prop. 2734Z. St. Mary Rect. (Oxon.)
val. 397Z., patr. W. P. Freeman, Esq. of F. Court,
which was b. by Wren 1684, on site of one occu-
pied by Ch. I.'s troops 1642 ; church, has mons. of
the Whitelocks.

FAWLEY tnshp. (55) Dilwyn par. Mid. Hereford.

2 m. NNE. of Weobly-145. Pop. 142.
FAWLEY tnshp. (43") Fownhope par. S.Hereford.

3 m. NNW. of Ross-120, on R. Wye. Pop. 57.
F. Court, was seat of the Kyrles, of whom was
the " Man of Ross."

P. FAWLEY par. (11) Dibden lib. S. Hantf. 5 m.
SSE. of Southampton-74, on Southampton Water,
contains Hythe cur., Badminstone, and 7 other
hmlts. Acres 6590 ; pop. 1972 + 12 ; poor r. 1435/.
(New Forest U.) ; real prop. 33931. All Saints
Rect. (Win.) val. with Exbury 1 179Z., patr. Bishop.

FAWLEY (UPPER) HUNDRED (11-2) Win-
chester divis. Mid. Hants, contains the pars, of
Old Alresford, Beanworth, Cheriton, Hiuton
Ampner, Kilmiston, Titchborne, and part of
Upham ; acres 13,080, pop. 2187, houses 422.
F. (LOWER) HUNDRED, contains the pars, of
Avingtou, Chilcombe rect., Easton, Morestead
r., Ovington, Owslebury cur., Bishop Stoke r.,
Twyford vie., Winnall r., Headbourne Worthy r.,
Martvr- Worth}', and part of Kingsworthy ; acres
27,780, pop. 5201, houses 1012. See WINCHESTER
DEANERY.

FAWLEY, NORTH, par. (13) Kintbury Eagle
hund. W. Berks. 4 m. S. of Wantage-60, contains
S. FAWLEY lib. (pop. 44) and Watcombe. Acres
2870 ; pop. 225 + 3 ; poor r. 167/. (Want. U.) ; real
prop. 21737. St. Mary Vic. (Oxon.) val. /.,
patr. Wroughtons.

Fawnlees ( ) 1 m. NW. of VVolsingham, Mid.
Durttam, G. Wooler, Esq.

FAWN'S tnshp. ( ) Kirkwhelpington par. Mid.
Northmbrld. 9 m. E. of Bellingham-294. Pop. 8,
in 1 house.

Fan-side, 3 m. N. of Bervie, SJS. Kincardine.

FAWSLEY HUNDRED (53) W. Northmptn. which
consisted of Gravesend and Alwardeslea hunds.
before Hen. III., contains the pars, of Ashby St.
Legers vie., Badby v., Barb} r rect. (a view here),
Braunstoiir.,Catesby,Charwelton ;., Daventry cur.,



FAW

Bedford v., Everdon r. (where the hand, court),
Farthingstoner., Fawsley v., Helledon v., Kilsby v.,
Litchboroogh r., Newnham c. (a view), Norton
v., Preston-Capes r., Staverton ., Stowe Nine
Churches r. (a view), Weedon Beck ., Welton . ;
acres 49,190, hilly, pop. 15,959, houses 3201. See
BAVENTRY DEANERY.

FAWSLEY par. in the above hund. 3 m. S. of
Baventry-72, once a mkt. town, the seat of the
Knightleys from Hen. III., and a meet for Lord
Southampton's hounds. Acres 1550 ; pop. 48 + 2 ;
poor r. /. (Davent. U.) ; real prop. 29797. St.
Mary Vic. (Pet.) val. 1001., patr. SirC. Knightley,
15t. of F. Court an ancient half tudor build-
ing, with two great fire-places in the kitchen, [
back to back, 12 to 14 ft. long, and a timbered
hall, 52 ft. long, with a great carved oriel window, \
mantel-piece, blazonry, portraits, etc. in the
park is a beech 19 ft. girth, where the hund. court |
was held ; church, has a brass (1516) and effigies
of the Knightleys, who were great supporters of
the puritans. Bp. Wilkins was a native (1614-72). j

FAXFLEET tnshp. (86) S. Cave par. E.R. York.
8 m. KSE. of Howden-180, on R. Humber, oppo-
site R. Trent's mouth, contains Osmerdike. Acres
1630 ; pop. 358 + 18 ; poor r. 647. (Howd. U.) ; real
prop. 21227. F. Grange, 1 m. NE.

FAXTON chplry. (52) Lamport par. Mid. North-
mptn. 4 ra. SSW. of Rothwell-77, contains Maws-
ley. Acres 2120 ; pop. 108 ; poor r. 617. (Brixworth
U.); real prop. 34177. ; charities, see LAMPORT.
/'. Lodge, 1 m. SW.

Fay Gate ( ) 3 m. NE. of Horsham, N. Sus-
sex., on S. Coast branch rail.

Fayland ( ) near , Somerset, has a roman
camp, where many coins and urns were found
1815.

FAYNOL, tnshp. (74) Llanfair-Byffiyn-Clwyd
p-.r. Mid. Denbigh. 2 m. SE. of Ruthin-195. Pop.
194; real prop. 11187.

FAZAKEULEY tnshp. (90) Walton-on-the-hill
par. SW. Lancash. 4 m. N. of Liverpool-206.
Acres 1860 ; pop. 428 +2 ; poor r. 957. (W. Berby
U.) ; real prop. 57977. ; char, school 37. F. Hall,
R. Bullin, Esq.

P. FAZET.EY tnshp. (62) Tamworth par. SE.
Stafford. 1 m. S. of Tamworth-115, near Midld.
rail., on Watling St. and F. Canal (llm.) which
joins Coventry and Birmingham canals. Pop. 1120,
in the print, woollen, coal, and other works; poor
r. 9977. (Tamw. U.) ; real prop. 81757. ; char. 37.
Living, a Cur. (Lich.) val. 2357., patr. Sir Robert
Peel, Bt. of Dray ton Manor. Fairs, 21 Mar., 2nd
Mon. Jan. Feb. Apr. Sept. Bee. ; 3rd Mon. July,
Aug. Nov. ; last Mon. May, June ; 1st Mon. after
Michaelmas.

Feachory Water, rises between Ben Vollich and
B. Chualach, NW. Perth, and runs 13 m. E. to
R. Garry at Strowan.

Feagile. See Figile River, King's Co.

P. FEAKLE par. (19, 20, etc.) Upper Tulla bar.
W. Clare, 5 m. NW. of Scarriff-120, contains
Baurroe. Acres 36,972, with bog and mountain ;
pop. 10,156 + 131, of vil. 95. Living, a Cur.
(K. K. C. K.) val. 447., patr. Bean and Chapter of
Killaloe. Caher, B. O'Hara, Esq.

Feale River, rises over the bounds of Limrk.
Kerry and Cork, runs 12 ra. NW. past Abbeyfeale,
etc. then 25 m. W. past Listowel to the Shannon,
where it is called the Cashen. " By the Feale's
wave benighted," etc.

Fealough (31) near Carrickmacross, S. Mona-
ghan, has L. Fea Castle, J. Shirley, Esa. M.P.

FEARBY tnshp. ( ) Masham par. At. R. York.
2 m. W. of Masham-223. Acres 600 ; pop. 237 ;
poor r. 687. (Lcyburn U.) ; real prop. 14587.



FEB



701



Fearcall of the Irish, was BAI.I,TBOY and BAI,-
I/YCOWAN, Meath, the O'Molloys' country. Fear-
mor; see Hy Conall Gaura, Limerick.

Fearfulls (46) 3 m. WNVV. of Hatfield, Mid.
Herts.

FEAEN, or FERN, par. 7 m. W. of Brechin-71,
Mid. Forfar. on Rs. Cruich and Noran under the
Grampians, has ruins of Vain Castle. Size 5 m.
by 2, sheep-walks, etc. with wood, blue slate;
pop. 404, decreasing ; real prop. 42927. ; for poor
687. Living (presb. Brechin) val. 1557., patr.
Crown.

P. FEARN par. 9 m. NW. of Fair-207, N. Ross.
contains Balintore, Hiltown, fishing places, on
Moray Frith, and remains of an abbey 99 ft. by
25, found. (Alex. II.) by Farquhar, Earl of Ross,
who was buried here, as are the Rosses of Balna-
gowan, etc. Size 2 m. by 2, flat, with Loch Eye,
and good stone ; pop. 1914 + 22 ; real prop. 52437, ;
for poor 2547. Living (presb. Fain) val. 2067.,
patr. Crown. There are ruins of Cadboll Cast.,
and Lochlin Cast, (two towers joined at the
corners) with druid stones.

P. Fearnall Heath ( ) near Worcest. Worccst.

Fearndun of the Saxons, is FARRINGDON, Berks.
Fearnham is FARNHAM, Surrey.

FEARNHEAD tnshp. (80) Warrington par. S.
Lancash. 2 m. NE. of Warrington-184, is joined
to Poulton. Pop. 222.

FEATHERSTONE tnshp. ( ) Haltwhistle par.
SW. Northmbrld. 3 m. SW. of Haltwhistle-284,
on R. South Tyne. Pop. 265 ; poor r. 187. (Haltw.
U.). F. Castle, Sir H. Fetherstonehaugh, Bt,
whose fam. were here before the Conquest, at first
on the hill, where the strata are 'featherwise', then
in the old moated seat in the ' haugh ' or valley, in
the midst of rich grounds, gap" FEATHERSTONE
tnshp. (62) Wolverhampton par. S. Stafford.
5 m. NNE. of Wolverhampton-123, near Gd.
Junction rail. Pop. 34. ggp- FEATHERSTONE
par. (87) Lower Agbrigg and Upper Osgoldcross
waps. W. R. York. 2 m. W. of Pontefract-177,
near Yk. rail., contains Acton, Whitwood, and
Purston Jaglin. Acres 4050, of town 1 190 ; pop.
1065 + 12, and 318 ; poor r. 767. (Barwick Incorp.) ;
real prop. 26617. ; charities, Featherstone's hosp.
etc. 107. All Saints Vic. (Yk.) val. 2567., patr.
Christ Ch. Oxon.

Featherwood ( ) 12 m. N. of Bellingham, Mid.
Northmbrld.

P. FECKENHAM par. (54) Upper Halfshire
hund. E. Worcest. 5 m. NW. of Alcester-103,
belonged to the Culpeppers and Hanburys, and
had a prison in the forest. Acres 6740, for-
merly forest ; pop. 2800 + 4, needle and fish-hook
makers ; poor r. 10467. (Alcest. U.) ; real prop.
10,7857. ; charities 1077. of which 577. to Hanbury's
free gram, school. St. J. Baptist Vic. (Wore.)
val. 1187., patr. Rev. E. Neal. John de F. an
excellent rom. rath, divine, whom, if he had con-
formed, Eliz. would have made Abp. of Canterbury,
was a native (d. 1585). Fairs, 26 Mar. 30 Sept.

FEDAL vil. near Muthil, S. Perth.

FEDAMORE par. (13, 22, 31) Clanwilliam and
Small County bars. Mid. Limerick, a police sta-
tion, 5m. NW. of Bruff-134, on R. Camoge, con-
tains Temple Roe, which belonged to the Tem-
plars. Acres 6739, good ; an. val. 79647. ; pop.
4076 + 65, of vil. 173, decreasing. Living, a
Vic. (Lk. A. A.) with Glenogra, val. 3237., patr.
Bishop. Grange, T. O'Grady, Esq. ; Ballinaguard,
J. Croker, Esq. Fairs, 5 May. 9 Oct.

Fedderat Castle, 3m. NE. of New Beer, N.
Alierdeen.

FEDW tnshp. (74) Hernant par. N. Mont-
gomery. 6 m. WNW. of Llanfyllin-179. Pop. 96.



702



FEE



FEL



Feede Hill (4) 4 m. N. of Dundalk, N. Louth,
771 ft. high.

P. FEENAGH par. (24-5, 28-9) Carrigallen,
Mohill, and Leitrim bars. Mid. Leitrim, 3 m. SW.
of Ballinamore-94. Acres 9564, bog and water ;
pop. 4426 + 25. Living, a Rect. (K. C. A.) val.
639Z., patr. Bishop. ^i FEENAGH vil. (45)
Upper Connello bar. S. Limerick, 5 m. SE. of
Newcastle- 145.

P. FEENY vil. (30) Tirkeeran bar. Mid. Lon-
dondy. 4 m. SW. of Dungiven-132. Pop. 156.

FEERING par. (47) Lexden hund. NE. Essex,
5 m. NE. of Witham-37, near E. Union rail and
R. Blackwater. Acres 2430; pop. 817+8; poor
r. 405Z. (With. U.) ; real prop. 5278Z. All Saints
Vic. (Roch.) val. 218Z., patr. Bishop of London.

Feeringbury, 1 m. N. of the above.

FEETHAM hmlt. ( ) Milbecks tnshp. N. R.
York. 4m. W. of Reeth-242.

Feigh Hills ( ) near Bengore Head, N. An-
trim.

FEIGHCULLEN par. (17-8) Connell and E. Of-
faly bars. W. Kildare, 4 m. N. of Kildare-31, on
Gd. canal. Acres 4157, with lead; pop. 1357
+ 46. Living, a Beet. (Du. G. K.) val. 189Z.,
patr. Crown.

FEIGHIN'S (ST.) OF FORE par. (4, 7, etc.) Fore
bar. NE. Westmeath, 3 m. E. of Castle Pollard-52,
on L. Lene, including Collinstown, grew out of a
priory found. 630-65 by St. Fechan (which be-
came a cell to Evreux 1209, and was given to
the Delvins), and was a boro' returning 2 mem-
bers till the Union. Acres 11,083, hilly, on lime-
stone ; pop. 2945 + 51. Living, a Cur. with Rath-
graff. Some ruins and raths are seen.

FEIGOR hmlt. ( ) Lawkland tnshp. W. R.
York. 3 m. NW. of Settle-235, near R. Ribble.
Pop. 36.

FELAWS HOUSES, ext. par. to St. Stephen par.
Ipswich boro', SE. Suffolk.

FELBOEOUGH HUNDRED (3) Scray lathe, Mid.
Kent, contains the pars, of Challock, Chartham,
Chilham, Godmersham, and Molash ; acres 17,502.
pop. 3409, houses 591.

FELBRIDGE vil. ( ) Godstone par. SE. Surrey,
2 m. NW. of E. Grinstead, on F. Water, which
divides it from Sussex. Living, a Cur. (Win.) val.
I., patr. heirs of J. Evelyn, Esq. late of F. Park,
now seat of Earl Liverpool, who married an Evelyn.

FELBRIGG par. (68) N. Erpingham hund. NE.
Norfolk, 2 m. SSW. of Cromer-129. Acres 1440,
heathy ; pop. 133 ; poor r. 100Z. (Erpingh. U.) ;
real prop. 1290Z, St. Margaret Rect. (Norw.) val.
with Metton 310Z., patr. W. Wyndham, Esq. of
F. Hall, formerly seat of the statesman ; church,
has 6 brasses of the Felbriggs, etc. from 1380,
some very fine.

Fdcourt (6) 3 m. N. of E. Grinstead, SE. Sur-
rey, Sir T. Turton, Bt. of Sterboro' Castle.

Felderland House (3) 1 m. S. of Sandwich,
E. Kent.

FELDOM tnshp. ( ) Marske par. .ZV. R. York.

4 m. NW. of Richmond- 233. Pop. 39.

Feldon (7) 2 m. SW. of Hemel-Hempstead,

5 W.Herts.

Feldy Green (80) 3 m. W. of Knutsford, N.
Cheshire.

FELISKIBK, or FELIX-KIRK, par. ( ) Bird-
forth wap. N. R. York. 3 m. NE. of Thirsk-217,
contains Boltby, Sutton-under-Whitestone-Cliffe,
andThirlby. Acres 6990, of town 1010; pop.
931 + 2, and 119; poor r. 42Z. (ThirskU.); real
prop. 1782Z. St. Felix Vic. (Yk.) val. 450Z., patr.
Archbp. Mount St. John, C. Elsley, Esq. be-
longed to Knights of St. John.

Felix Hall (47) 2 m. SSW. of Coggeshall, NE.



Essex, near E. Union rail., seat of late Lord
Western.

FELIXSTOW, or FELSTOW, par. (48) Colneis
hund. SE. Suffolk, 9 m. SSE. of Woodbridge-77,
on F. Roads, between Rs. Stour and Deben, near
Languard Fort, where St. Felix the Burgundian
landed, had a priory dedicated to him by Rog.
Bigod, who gave it 1150 to Rochester abbey, and
which was granted to Wolsey and the Seckfords.
Acres 1170; pop. 552 + 19; poor r. 187Z. (Woodb.
U.); real prop. 36501. ; charities, poor's estate 17Z,
St. Mary Vic. with Walton. At Old Hall are
remains of a royal palace occupied by Edw. III.,
and near it was Walton Castle, partly roman, and
a seat of the Bigods. F. Cottage, Sir S. Flud-
yer, Bt

FELKINGTON tnshp. ( ) Norham par. Durham,
locally hi Northmbrld. 6 m. SSW. of Berwick-337,
contains Grievestead. Acres 1400 ; pop. 141 ;
poor r. 77Z. (Berwick U.).

FELKIRK par. (87) Staincross wap. W. R. York.
4 m. NE. of Barnesley-172, near the canal and
N. Midld. rail., contains Brierley, Havercroft,
Hiendley, and Shafton. Acres 6360; pop. 1186
+ 3 ; poor r. 1. ; real prop. /. ; charities 33/.,
of which 19Z. to school. St. Peter Vic. (Yk.) val.
136/., patr. Archbp.

FELL-BECK, hmlt. ( ) Bishopstole par. W. R.
York. 3 m. ENE. of Pately-Bridge-224. i^- F.-
End (91) 4 m. ESE. of Lancaster, N. Lancash.
^ F.-Foot Inn ( ) 4i m. W. of Ambleside, S W.
Westmrld. in Lit. Langdale, under Bow and Coni-
stone fells. ^ F. House ( ) 2 m. ESE. of Kirk-
ley-Stephen, E. Westmrld. g3 F.-Lane hmlt.
( ) Keighley par. W. R. York, near Keighley-206.

FELLEND vil. ( ) Ravenstone-Dale tnshp. E.
Westmrld. near Ravenstone-Dale-275.

FELLEY ext. par. (71) N. Broxtow wap. W.
Notts. 6 m. SSW. of Mansfield-138, near Annesley
Hall, has at a farm some remains of a priory cell
to Worksop, found. 1152 by Ralph de Brito.
Pop. 41.

FeWiampton (61) 4 m. S. of Church Stretton,
SW. Salop.

Felling (105) lim. SE. of Gateshead, .ZV. Durh.
on Yk. and Berwk. rail.

FELLISCLIFFE tnshp. ( ) Hampsthwaite par.
W. R. York. 3 m. SW. of Ripley-215, contains
Kettlesing, Swincliffe, and West-Svke-Green.
Acres 2320; pop. 363 + 1; poor r. 107/. ; real
prop. 2645Z.

Fellow Green (8) 7 m. SW. of Chertsey, NW.
Surrey. F.-End, 2 m. NNE.

Fellows Hall (11) near Tynan, NW. Armagh,
T. K. Armstrong, Esq.

FELLSIDE tnshp. ( ) Whickham par. N. Dur-
ham, 5 m. SW. of Gateshead-275 ; pop. 593 + 18 ;
real prop. 2740Z. Gibside Hall, Earl of Strath-
more.

FELMERSHAM par. (52) Willey hund. NW.
Beds. 6 m. NW. of Bedford-50, on R. Ouse, con-
tains Radwell. Acres 2400 ; pop. 531 + 9 ; poor r.
201/. (Bedf. U.) ; real prop. 1750Z. ; charities 12Z.
St. Mary Vic. (Ely) val. with Pavenham 169/.,
patr. Trin. Colt Camb. ; church, has brass of a
clergyman.

FELMINGHAM par. (68) Tunstead hund. NE.
Norfolk, 2 m. WSW. of N. Walsham-125. Acres
2010 ; pop. 408 + 1 ; poor r. 315Z. (Tunst. Incorp.) ;
real prop. 3353Z. ; charities, allotment of 39 acres.
St. Andrew Vic. and Rect. (Norw.) val. 169Z. and
147Z., patr. Bishop and Mrs. W. Postle. F. Hall,
1 m. SW.

FELPHAM par. (9) Avisford hund. Arundel
rape, S W. Sussex, J m. E. of Bognor-67, on the
coast, is Felham of Alfred's Will, and contains



FEL

Flamsham and Aukton. Acres 1800 ; pop. 555 ;
poor r. 1847. (Westhampnett U.) ; real prop. 47997.
St. Mary Vic. and sin. Rect. (Chic.) val. 1667.,
patr. Dean.

FELSUAM par. (50) Thedwestry hund. Mid.
Suffolk, 6 m. WSW. of Stowmarket-76. Acres
1440 ; pop. 398 ; poor r. 2797. (Stow. U.) ; real
prop. 27827. ; charities, town and poor's estate 607.
St. Peter Rect. (Ely) val. 7., patr. Rev. T. An-
derson, rector. F.Hall, m. W. fair, 16 Aug.
sheep.

P. FELSTEAD par. (47) Hinckford hund. Mid.
Essex, 3 m. ESE. of Dunmow-38, near R. Chel-
mer. Acres 7170 ; pop. 1798 + 1 ; poor r. 13887.
(Dunm. U.) ; real prop. 90257. ; charities 6547., of
which G277. for Ld. Rich's hospital, free school,
etc. Holy Cross Vic. (Roch.) val. 3967., patr.
Viscount Wellesley.

P. FKLTHAM par. (7) Spelthorne hund. SW.
Middlesex, 4 m. ESE. of Staines-16, on S.West.
rail., belonged to Earl Mortaigne at 'Domesdy.'
and came to the Cottingtons, Beauclercs, and
others. Acres 2620 ; pop. 1029 + 10 ; poor r. 5217.
(Staines U.) ; real prop. 53987. ; charities 517.
St. Dunstan Vic. (Lon.) val. 3027., patr. ; church,
of flint, covered with ivy. F. Hill, 1 m. SSW.

FELTHORFE par. (66) Taverham hund. Mid.
Norfolk, 6 m. NNW. of Norwich-108. Acres
2250 ; pop. 574 + 7 ; poor r. 3937. (St. Faith's U.) ;
real prop. 16357. ; charities 367., of which 307. for
Brereton's almsh. etc. St. Margaret Rect. (Norw.)
val. 1907., patr. Bishop. F. Bull, 1 m. W. f. Hall,
a seat of the Marshams of Stratton Strawless.

FELTON par. (55) Broxash hund. Mid. Here-
ford. 6 m. SW. of Bromyard-125. Acres 990,
with hops; pop. 113; poor r. 797. (Bromy. U.);
real prop. 18797. St. Michael Vic. (Heref.) val.
2077., patr. T. Hill, Esq.

P. FELTON par. ( ) E. Coquetdale and E.
Morpeth wards, E. Northmbrld. 9 m. S. of AJn-
wick-308, on R. Coquet, containing Acton, Ely-
haugh, Greens, Swarland, Bockenfield, Esho'tt,
and Thirston, was wasted by John 1215, when
the barons ofNland. did homage to Alex, of Scot-
land. Acres 13,950; pop. 1585, of town 623
+ 1 ; poor r. 2577. (Alnw. U.) ; real prop. 13,3357. ;
charities 237. St. Michael Vic. (Dur.) val. with
Long Framlingham 2757., patr. Lord Chancellor.
F. Hall, T. Riddell, Esq. through the Widdring-
tons (who b. it), Lisles, Scropes, etc. Races, Oct.
(gif F., OLD, tnshp. in the above par. is joined to
ACTON, F. PETH, or F. PATH, vil. Thirston tnshp.
Igg- FELTON. See WHITCHURCH, Somerset.
^" FELTON tythg. (19) Winford par. NE. So-
merset. 6m. SW. of Bristol- 114. Pop. 246.

FELTON BUTLER tnshp. (60) Gt. Ness par. NW.
Salop, 6 m. NW. of Shrewsbury-153. Pop. 65.
$g* F.-RYE (55) 1m. NNW. of Ludlow-143,
-S. Salop.

P. FELTON, WEST, par. (74) Lower Oswestiy
hund. NW. Salop,4m. SE. of Oswestry-171, near
Llanymynech canal, contains Haughton, Sutton,
and 6 other tnshps. Acres 6160 ; pop. 1087, of
town 214; poor r. 1417. (Oswes. Incorp.) ; real
prop. 69517.; charities 267. St. Michael Rect.
(Lich.) val. 10237., patr. Earl Craven. The
Nursery, J. Dovaston, Esq.

Feltrim ( ) near Cork, E. Cork, W. Fagan,
Esq. (gf FELTRIM vil. (15) Coolock, bar. E.
Dublin, 6 m. NE. of Dublin, near the Fagans' old
castle.

P. FELTWELL ST. MARY and ST. NICHOLAS
par. (65) Grimshoe hund. S W. Norfolk, 5 m. N W.
of Brandon-78, near R. Brandon, contains F.
ANCHOR ext. par. (pop. 19). Acres 14,810, fenny,
part common ; pop. 1512 + 28, some crape weavers



FEN



703



on 30 looms ; poor r. 5107. (Thetford U.) ; real
prop. 11,0717. ; charities 1997. of which 1167. to
Mundeford's free school, almsh. etc., 747. fuel al-
lotment. Living, a Rect. (Norw.) val. 12077.,
patr. Ld. Chancellor and Bishop of Ely. F. Isodge,
Eyres, Esq. ; church, has brass of Marg. Mun'd-
ford (1520). Fairs, 20 Nov.

FEN-STANTON par. (51-2) Toseland hund. SE.
Hunts. 2 m. S. of St. Ive's-60, on the roman road,
near R. Ouse. Acres 2400 ; pop. 1032 + 7 ; poor r.
4737. (St. Ive's U.) ; real prop. 79657. ; charities
1837., of which 307. to Ellis's school. St. Peter and
Paul Vic. (Ely) val. with Hilton 2757., patr.
Trinity Hall, Camb.

FENBY par. (85) Bradley Haverstoe wap. NE.
Lincoln. 5 m. SSW. of Grimsby-163, is joined to
ASHBY.

FENCE (81) near Macclesfield, E. Cheshire.

P. FENCE HOUSES ( ) about 5 m. NNE. of
Durham, N. Durh. on Yk. and Berwk. rail.

FENCE-IN-PENDLE ( ) Whalley par. E. Lan-
cash. near Clitheroe-217. Living, a Cur. (Manch.)
val. 7., patr. Mrs. E. Holden.

FENCOTES, GREAT and LITTLE, hmlts. ( )
Kirkby-Fleetham par. N. R. York. 3 m. NE. of
Bedale-223.

FENCOTT tnshp. (55) with Westwood, Thorn-
bury par. NE. Hereford. 3 m. NW. of Bromyard
-125. 3=1 FENCOTT hmlt. (45) Charlton-on-
Otmoor par. Mid. Oxford. 4 m. S. of Bicester-54,
near R. Ray, belongs to Colne of Stoke-Lyne.
Acres with Murcott 750; pop. 144; poor. r. 1147.
(Bices. U.) ; real prop. 12077.

Fender Water, near Blair Atholl, N. Perth, has
a fall of ft.

Fenella's Castle, at Fettercairn, SW. Kincardine.
near Balbigno and Strath-fenella, was burnt 994,
for the murder of Kenneth III. by Fenella, mother
of Craithilinthus, whom the king had executed ;
after which she escaped to Den Fennella on the
coast.

FENHAM tnshp ( ) Holy-Island par. Durham,
locally in E. Northmbrld. 5 m. NNW. of Belford
-322, on F. Flats, between Holy Isld. and the
main land. Pop. 140.

FENHAM tnshp. ( ) St. Andrew par. SE.
Northmbrld. 2 m. NW. of Newcastle-275, came
through the Templars and Crown to the Riddells.
Acres 420, with coal ; pop. 74 ; poor r. 7. (New-
cast. U.). F. Hall, Col. Bell.

FENHAMPTON (55) 1 m. SW. of Weobly, W.
Hereford.

FENINGSCOWLES or FENISCOWLES (89) near
Blackburn, Mid. Lancash. seat of Sir W. Fielden,
Bt. Living, a Cur. (Manch.) val. 1807., patr. Vicar
of Blackburn.

FENIT, or FENOR, par. and isld. (28) Trugha-
nacmy bar. AT. Kerry, 6 m. WNW. of Tralee-187,
between Tralee and Ballyheigue bays, near Sam-
phire Isld., belonged to the Locks. Acres 686 ;
pop. 315. Living, a Rect. with Kihnelchedar ;
church, in ruins.

P. FENITON par. (22) Hayridge hund. E.
Devon. 3 m. WSW. of Honiton-148, near the
bridge, on R. Otter, where Ld. Grey defeated the
Cornishmen 1549. Acres 1340 ; pop. 315 ; poor r.
1747. (Honit. U.) ; real prop. 36587. ; charities 107.
St. Andrew Rect. (Exet.) val. 3727., patr. C.
Flood, G. Northcote, Esq., of f. Court, and an-
other.

FENLAKE hmlt. (52) E. Cotts tnshp. Mid.
Beds. 1 ni. SE. of Bedford-50, near F. Barns, on
R. Ouse. Pop. 138.

P. FENNAOH par. (12-3, 16-7, 19, 20) Forth,
E. Idrone, and Rathvillv bars. Mid. Carlow, in
3 detached parts, containing Tullow-48 (on R.



704



FEN



Slaney) Ballyknockan and Ballybrommell, was a
seat of the Leinster kings, and has the ruins of
Rathnageeragh Castle, near R. Bun-en and Mt.
Leinster. Acres 10,904, with granite ; pop. 4314.
Living, a Rect. (Os. F. L.) val. 549/., patr. Crown
and Bishop. F. Lodge, ; Castleraore, J. Eus-
tace, Esq. ; and many other seats.

FENNEMERE tnshp. (73) Baschurch par. NW.
Salop, 7 m. NW. of Shrewsbury-153. Pop. 43.

FENNOR par. (19, 26) Lower Duleek bar. E.



Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 196 of 293)