Copyright
James A Sharp.

A new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) online

. (page 205 of 293)
Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 205 of 293)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


(6447.); poor r. 9017. on 10,9457. (Plomesgate
U.); real prop. 12,2657,; charities 7167., of which
town lands 617. St. Michael Rect. (Norw.) val.
with Saxted 12017., patr. Pembroke Hall ; church,
of flint, b. by the Mowbrays, with carved roof,
8-sided pillars, fine effigies of Hen. Fitzroy (son
of Hen. VIII.), the Earl of Surrey who won the
battle of Flodden, and others of the Norfolk fam.,
and mons. of Hitcham, and Hawes, who wrote a
hist, of the hund. The castle, to which Q. Mary
retreated at the death of Ed. VI., and where
was a chapel, etc., has remains of the walls 44 ft.
high, 8 thick, with 13 towers 58 ft. high, a gate-
way with arms, and some outworks. Mkt. D.
Sat. Fairs, Whit. Mond. 11 Oct.

FRAMLINGTON, LONG, par. chplry. ( ) E. Co-
quetdale ward, E. Northmbrld. 5 m. ESE. of
Rothbury-304, near R, Coquet and the Devil's



FRA

Causeway on Watling St., which goes over the
moors. Pop. 549, some miners and colliers ; poor
r. 206/. (Kothb. U.) ; real prop. 3094/. Living, a
Cur. with Felton. At Hall hill is a roman camp.
Fairs, 2nd Tu. July, 25 Oct.

FRAMPTON LIBERTY (17-8)'Bridport divis. W.
Dorset, contains the pars, of Bettiscombe, Bin-
combe, Burton-Bradstock, Compton-Vallence,
Frampton, and part of Winterbourne-Came ; acres
10,050, pop. 2071, houses 398.

P. FRAMPTON par. in the above lib. 5 in. NW.
of Dorchester-120, on R. Froom, containing
Mageston and Southover, and once a mkt. town,
was Frantone of 'Domesdy.' when it had a cell
to St. Stephen's, Caen, which was given to the
Hattons. Acres 2080 ; pop. 391 + 2 ; poor r. 35GI.
(Dorch. U.) ; real prop. 3485Z. ; charities, Brown's
school, etc. 32/. St. Bartholomew Vic. (Sal.) val.
120/., patr. R. B. Sheriden, Esq. ; church, built
(Ed. IV.). F. House, F. Browne, Esq. (?) on site
of the priory, a meet for Mr. Farquharson's
hounds. Fairs, 9 Mar. 4 May. giP FRAMPTON
hmlt. (20) Lantwit Major par. SE. Glamorgan.
4 m. SSW. of Cowbridge-173. igT FRAMPTON
tythg. (34) Sapperton par. Mid. Gloucest. 3 m.
ENE. of Minchinhampton-98, near Cheltenham
rail. Real prop. 16922. Living, a Cur. with Sap-
perton. gig" FRAMPTON limit. (44) with Nairn-
ton, Winchcomb par. NE. Gloucester, near Winch -
comb-95. g3T FRAMPTON par. (69) Kirton
wap. SE. Lincoln. 3 m. S. of Boston -113, near R.
Witham. Acres 6200, fenny ; pop. 784 + 8; poor
r. 296/. (Boston U.) ; real prop. 10,7022.; cha-
rities 1812., of which 742. to school. St. Mary
Vic. (Line.) val. 109/., patr. C. K. Tuunard, Esq.,
of F. House. F. Hall, T. Tunnard, Esq. ; F. Hill,
seat of .

P. FRAMPTON-COTTERELI, par. (35) Upper
Langley hund. S W. Gloucest. 4 m. W. of Chipping-
Sodbury-108, on R. Frome, near Glouc. and
Bristol rail., contains Wick -Wick. Acres 1190,
with stone; pop. 1991 + 18, hat-makers, etc.;
poor r. 10222. (C. Sodbury U.) ; real prop. 64432.
St. Peter Rect. (Gl. and Br.) val. 5202., patr.
Duke of Beaufort and others.

P. FRAMPTON-ON-SEVERN par. (43) Lower
Whitstone hund. W. Gloucest. 7 m. WNW. of
Stroud-101, on Ship canal and R. Severn, came
1089 to Walter Clifford, father of Fair Rosamond.
Acres 2360 ; pop. 1051 ; poor r. 3291. (Wheaten-
hurst U.) ; real prop. 56792. ; charities 21. St.
Mary Vic. (Gl. and Br.) val. 3302., patr. S. W.
Silver, Esq. ; church, has mons. of the Cliffords
of F. Court, H. C. Clifford, Esq., an old seat.

FRAMSDEN par. (50) Thredling hund. Mid.
Suffolk, 3 m. SE. of Debenham-83. Acres 2100 ;
pop. 829 + 18 ; poor r. 6822. (Bosmere U.) ; real
prop. 489 II. St. Mary Vic. (Norw.) val. 2602.,
patr. T. Tollemache, Esq.

FRAMWELLGATE tnshp. ( ) St. Oswald par.
opposite Durham, at Bp. Flambard's old bridge
on R. Wear, is an ancient suburb, which partly
gives name to the borough and city.

FRANCIIE hmlt. (55) Kidderminster foreign,
N. Worcester. 1 m. NNW. of Kidderminster-126.

FRANKBY tnshp. (79) W. Kirby par. NW.
Cheshire, 5 m. WSW. of Birkenhead-199. Acres
430 ; pop. 125 + 1 ; real prop. 6702.

P. M. FRANKFORD vil. (31) Ballyboy bar.
Mid. King's Co. a police and petty sess. town,
12 m. SW. of Tullamore, 71 from Dublin, on R.
Silver, had a white friary found, before 1454 by
the Molloys of Broghill, and given to the Ley-
cesters. Pop. 1345 + 23 ; houses 225, with a
chapel and dispensary. Tremore, Count Magaw-
Icy. Mkt. D. Sat. Fairs, 28 May, 8 Nov.



FRA 733

Franliford (40) 4 m. S. of Loughbrkkland, W.
Down.

Frankfort ( ) near Urlingford, N. Kilkenny,
Lord Frankfort de Montmorencj'. igf Frankfort
(76) on Lough Gowna, N. Longford.

Frankfort Castle (45) near Dunkerrin, <S. King's
Co. J. Rolleston, Esq.

Frankland ( ) near Exeter, E. Devon.

FRANKLEY par. (54) Lower Halfshire hund.
N. Worcest. 6 m. NNE. of Bromsgrove-116, near
Birmg. and Glouc. rail. Acres 2000 ; pop. 170 ;
poor r. 742. (Bromsg. U.) ; real prop. 18062. St.
Leonard Don. (Wore.) val. /., patr. Lord Lyttle-
ton of Hagley, who takes hence the title of baron ;
church, in part as old as Hen. III. F. Lodge, .

Franks (6) 4 m. SSE. of Dartford, NW. Kent.

FRANKTON tnshp. (73) Ellesmere par. N. Salop,
4 m. SE. of Ellesmere-169. Pop. 199. gaT FRANK-
TON tnshp. (74) Whittington par. N W. Salop,
3 m. SW. of Ellesmere-169, near the canal. Pop.
275. gg" FRANKTON par. (53) Knightlow hund.
E. Warwick. 6 m. SW. of Rugby-83, near R.
Learn. Acres 1660; pop. 282 + 2"; poor r. 1872.
(Rugby U.) ; real prop. 28352. ; charities, Biker's
school, etc. 152. St. Nicholas Rect. (Lich.) val.
110Z., patr. Rev. J. Biddulph.

Frankmlle ( ) near Athboy, W. Meath.

FRANKWELL tnshp. (61) St'Chad par. Shrews-
bury boro', Mid. Salop. Pop. 1895. St. George
Cur. (Lich.) val. 1502., patr. Vicar.

FRANSHAM, GREAT, par. (66) Launditch hund.
Mid. Norfolk, 3m. S. of Litcham-101, on E. An-
glian rail. Acres 1500 ; pop. 329 ; poor r. 997.
(Mitford U.) ; real prop. 2456/. ; charities, fuel
allotment 142. All Saints Rect. (Norw.) val.
5042., patr. Magd. Coll. Camb. ifgj" F., LITTLE,
par. as above, m. S. Acres 1490 ; pop. 263 + 3 ;
poor r. 100/. ; real prop. 1904/. ; charities, fuel
allotment 152. St. Mary Rect. (Norw.) val. 4002.,
patr. Rev. A. W. Langton, rector ; church, has
brasses of Geof. Fransham (canopied, 1414), and
another.

P. FRANT, or FANT, par. (6) Rotherfield hund.
NE. Sussex, and Washlingstone hund. Kent, con-
tains part of Tunbridge Wells-36, and Bayham
Abbey. Acres 9430, with mineral springs ;" pop.
2280 + 21 ; poor r. 724/. (Ticehurst U.) ; real prop.
11,1272.; charities, Smith's, etc. 232. Living, a,
Vic. (Chic.) val. 49G2., patr. Rector of Rother-
field. Bayham Pk., Marquess Camden.

Fraoch Elan Castle, in Lochawe, N. Argyll.
near Kilchurn, was given 1267 by Alex. III. to
the M'Naughtens, who prepared it for Ch. Stuart
1745, and is the subject of a highland story in
which Fraoch the lover of Mego conies here to
gather for her a delicious fruit guarded by a ser-
pent, and is killed in killing the monster.

FRASTOW hmlt. ( ) Sedbergh tnshp. W. R.
York, near Sedbergh.

P. FRATING par. (48) Tendring hund. NE.
Essex, 6 m. ESE. of Colchester-51. Acres 1350 ;
pop. 271 + 1 ; poor r. 153/. (Tendr. U.) ; real prop.
27302. ; charities, workhouse and garden plots.
Living, a Rect. (Roch.) val. with Thorington
799/., patr. St. John's Coll. Camb. F. Hall, C.
Dawson, Esq.

FRATTON hmlt. (11) Portsea tnshp. S. Hants.
near Portsmouth-70, has Froddington, or F. House.
Pop. 233.

Fraw River. See Ffraw River, Anghsea.

Frazer's Bank, near Dalkey, SE. Dublin, S.
of Dublin bay, has 2J to 5 fath. on, and 6 to 15
off, it.

P. M. FRAZERBURGH par. in Buchan, N. Aber-
deen. 28 m. N. of Aberdeen, 152 from Ediubro', a
coast-gd. station and thriving port and burgh of



734



FRE



regality under the Frazers, governed by a pro-
vost, 2" bailies, 7 councillors, etc., includes Broad-
sea and Kinnaird's hd. and light, and v,-as found.
ICth cent. Size 6 m. by 3J, or 10,000 acres (cut
in two parts by Rathen), flattish, rising 810 ft.
at Mormond, with granite, ironstone, lime-
stone, and a sandy coast near L. Strathbeg, which
once opened to the sea, also mineral springs
and Philorth Water; pop. 3615 +60, in the fish-
eries, linen trade, etc. ; houses 714, with a church,
chapel, town-house and jail with a 6-sided cross
over it 36 ft. high (b. by the Frazers, who 1592
began a college, part of which remains), 3 banks,
water works, school; real prop. 81147. ; for poor
10047. Living (presb. Old Deer) val. 2197., patr.
Lord Saltoun of Philorth, heritor. The small tide
harb. improved for 50,0007., has 11 to 20 ft. water
for 200-ton ships, and anchorage outside beyond
Elie and Inch rocks, with two fixed lights on
the pier head. That on Kinnaird's hd. (anct.
Taixalorum Prom.) stands over the old castle,
near the Wine Tower, which has a cave under-
neath. Remains are seen of a chapel, a cell to
Deer abbey, and some picts' houses 10 ft. square.
Mkt. D. Fri. Fasts, 1st Th. May. and Nov.

FREAGH coast-gd. station (46) Ibrickan bar.
W. Clare, between Lisanor and Dunbeg bays.

Freagh Isld. ( ) in Birtirbuy bay, W. Galway,
belonged to the Martins of Ballynahinch.

Freamount (22) 3 m. SW. of Rockcorry, S W.
Monaghan, H. A. Kennedy, Esq.

FREAZLEY hmlt. (62) with Hall End, Poles-
worth par. N. Warwick. 3m. SE. of Tarn worth
-115. Real prop. 1785/. F. Hall, m. E.

P. FRECKIXGHAM par. (51) Lackford hund.
NW. Suffolk, 3 m. SW. of Mildenhall-70, on R.
Lark. Acres 2520; pop. 495 + 7; poor r. 2797.
(Mildenh.U.) ; real prop. 31857. ; charities, Shore's
for gowns 257. St. Andrew Vic. and Sect. (Ely)
val. 600/., patr. Peterhouse, Camb.

FRECKLETOX tnshp. (90) Kirkham par. W.
Lancasfi. 2 m. S. of Kirkham-225, near Naze
point at R. Ribble's mouth. Acres 1430 ; pop.
995 + 9, sacking and sailcloth makers; poor r.
/. (Fylde U.); real prop. 42867. Living, a
Cur. with Warton.

FREDERICKSTOWN vil. ( ) Strabane bar. 10 m.
NE. of Omagh, N. Tyrone. Fairs, 3 Jan. Mar.
June, and Oct.

Fredville (3) 7 m. SE. of Canterbury, E. Kent,
seat of J. P. Plumptre, Esq. M.P., formerly of the
Boys and Holies lams., has the ' Majesty ' oak
28 "ft. girth, ' Beauty ' 16 ft., and ' Stately ' 18 ft.,
in the grounds.

FREE tythg. (21) Bishop's Lydeard par. Mid.
Somerset. 5 m. NW. of Taunton-141.

FREEBRIDGE-LYNX HUNDRED (65, 69) NW.
Norfolk, contains the pars, of Anmer rect., Ash-
wicken r., Babingley r., Bawsey, W. Bilney cur.,
Castle-Acre vie., Castle-Rising r., Congham r.,
Dersingham v., Flitcham c., Gayton v. (where
poor ho. is), Gayton-Thorpe, Gaywood r., Grim-
stone r., Harpley r., Hillingdon r., Leziate r.,
Great and Little Massingham rs., Middleton v.,
Mintlyn, W. Newton r., Pentney c., Roydon r.,
N. Runcton r., Sandringham r., Setchey r., E.
Walton v., West-Acre don. c., East and West
Winch r. and c., Wolverton r., North and South
Wootton rs., and the town of King's Lynn ; acres
50,760, pop. 15,500, houses 3240. See LYNN
DEANERY. Freeh. Lynn P. L. Union, contains the
pars, in the above hund. (except King's Lynn,
Anmer, and Dersingham), with Castle-Acre ; acres
71,010, pop. 12,578, cases relieved (yr. 1846-7)
1353 (out-door 1232), expend. 56457., prop, rated
61,8407. Sup. Registry comprises the same; pop.



FRE

12,580 + 110. It belongs to King's Lynn New
County Court district.

FRF.EBRIDGE MAUSH-LAXD HUNDRED (65-9)
W. Norfolk, contains the pars, of Clenchwarton
rect., Emneth, North and West Lynn r., St. Cle-
ment and St. John Terrington r. and vie., Tilney
All Saints r., and St. Lawrence Tilney cur., St.
Andrew and St. Peter Walpole v. and r., Wal-
soken r., West Walton r., St. Germans Wiggen-
hall r., St. Mary Magdalen W., St. Mary the
Virgin W., and St. Peter Wigginhall vs. ; acres
57,280, pop. 13,237, houses 2757. See LYNX
DEANERY.

Freeburn Inn, 13 m. SE. of Inverness, NE.
Invern.

FUEEBY chplry. ( ) Melton-Mowbrav par.
NE. Leicest. 3 m. ENE. of Melton-Mowbray-105,
near the canal and R. Wreak. Acres 920 ; pop.
139 +2 ; real prop. 20767. ; charities 17. St. Mary
Cur. with Melton-Mowbray.

Freefield, near , Aberdeen. Col. Sir A. Lcith.

FREEFOLK MANOR par. (12) Upper Evingar
hund. N. Hants. 2 m. ENE. of Whitchurch-56,
contains the bank-note paper mills from the time
of Geo. L, and has a meet for the Vine hounds at
F. Wood. Acres 800; pop. 70; poor r. 257.
( Whitch. U.) ; real prop. 13077. Living, a Don.
(Win.) val. 157., patr. ST. Cross Hosp. F. House,
J. Portal, Esq. t^" F. PRIORS tythg. Whit-
church par. near the above. Pop. 173.

FREEFORD ext. par. (62) St. Michael's par.
S-.SfaJfo/,lm.SE.ofLiclifield-119. Acres 280 ;
pop. 77; real prop. 11847. F. Hatt, Gen. Dyott,
a descendant of Justice Shallow's " little D'iot,"
Hen. IV. pt. 2. act iii.

Freeground (11) 4m. E. of Southampton, S.
Hants.

FREEHAY (72) near Cheadle, NE. Staffd. has
St. Chad Cur. (Lich.) val. 507., patr. Rector of
Cheadle.

FREEHOLDERS QUARTER tnshp. ( ) Long
Horsley par. E. Northmbrld. 6 m. NN W. of Mor-
peth-289. Pop. 109.

FREEHOLDS hmlt. (34) Avening par. Mid.
Gloucest. 2 m. S. of Minchinhampton-98.

FREELAND hmlt. (45) Ensham par. Mid. Ox-
ford. 5 m. NW. of Oxford-54.

Freelands ( ) near Bromley, NW. Kent, C.
Pott, Esq.

Freemantle House (11) near Southampton, &
Hants. Gen. Sir G. H. Hewett, Bt. 3T F. Park,
near Kingsclere, N. Hants., was a seat of the
saxon and later kings.

FREEMOUNT vil. (6) Duhallow bar. N. Cork, a
police station, 7 m. N. of Kanturk-158. Pop. l'J7,
with Knocktemple Chapel.

Freemount Bogs (68) 8 m. E. of Killamey, S.
Kerry, contains 3046 acres. F. House, D. J.
Moynahan, Esq.

Freestone Hall (38) 5 m. NE. of Pembroke, S.
Pembroke. J. Allen, Esq. F. Bridge, a meet for
the Cressely hounds.

FREETHORPE par. (66) Blofield hund. E. Nor-
folk, 5m. NE. of Loddon-112, near Yarmouth
rail, and R. Tare. Acres 1050 ; pop. 283 ; poor
r. 1837. (Blof. U.) ; real prop. 19877. All Saints
Vic. with Reedham.

Freffans (36) near Trim, 5. Meath.

FREMIXGTOX HUNDRED (26) NW. Devon.
contains the pars, of Alverdiscott, Fremington
vie., St. Giles, Harwood rect., Huntshaw r., In-
stov,- r., W. Leigh v., Newton-Tracey r., Ro-
borough, Tawstock r., and Gt. Torrington ; acres
33,350, pop. 9031, houses 1855. See BARNSTAPLE
DEANERY.

P. FREMIXGTOX par. in the above hund. 3 m.



FRE



FRE



735



W. of Barnstaple-192, at F. Pill, on R, Taw, was
a boro' which sent members to parl. of 6, 7 Ethv.
III. Acres GGOO, much garden, with stone,
pipe-clav, and salmon fisheries ; pop. 132G + 14 ;
poor r. 6127. (Barnst, U.) ; real prop. 61817. ; cha-
rities 8G7., of which Doddridge's for lecturer,
scholarship 637. St. Peter Vic. (Exet.) val. 373/.,
patr. Rev. W. C. Hill, vicar ; church, has some
old tombs.

FREMINGTON hmlt. ( ) Reeth tnshp. N. R.
York. % m. E. of Reeth-242, on R. Swale.

FRENCH tnshp. (73) Wem par. N. Salop, near
Wem-163, is joined to TILLEY.

French Wood (89) near Preston, Mid. Lancash.
J. Swainson, Esq.

FKENCHAY tythg. (35) Winterbourne par.
SW.Gloucest. 4 m. NE. of Bristol-114, on a
branch of R. Avon, has a coal vein \ in. thick, in
solid rock. Pop. 594. Living, a fleet. (Gl. and
Br.) val. 500?., patr. St. John's Coll. Oxon. F.
House, E. Brice, Esq. (?)

Frenchgrove (119) 4 m. SE. of Hollymount,
SE. Mayo, French, Esq. near F.Bog of 2122
acres.

Frenchman, or Lrmebtirner, 3 m. N. of Mulroy-
head, NW. Donegal, a dangerous rock, with the
sea breaking on it in a smoky foam, and the
Inner F.3m. SW. of it.

Frenchman's Rock, off Sandwick, SW. Kirk-
cudbt., so called from a pirate who was wrecked
here after robbing the church.

FRENCHMOOR tythg. (15) Broughton par. W.
Hants. 7m. SW. of Stockbridge-66, near Salis-
bury rail. Pop. 58 + 1 .

FRENCHPARK: BARONY (13-7, etc.) NW. Ros-
comn. contains the pars, of Kilcolagh, Kilma-
cumsy, Kilnamanagh, Tibohine, and parts of
Castlemore, Creeve, and Kilcolman ; acres 71,930,
an. val. 29,6097., pop. 28,859, houses 52G3.

P. M. FRENCHPARK. vil. (15) as above, 8m.
S\V. of Boyle, 111 from Dublin, a police station,
with some remains of Clonshanvil black abbey,
found. 1385 by the M'Dermots. Pop. 515 + 7, in
the butter and pig trade ; houses 88, with mkt.
house, Taughboyne chapel, dispensary'. F. House,
Lord De Freyne, the head of the Frenches a
name which comes thro' De Fraxinis, De Freigne,
De Freynche. F. Bog, 5603 acres. Mkt. D. Th.
Fairs, 1 Jan. 17 Mar. 21 May, 12 July, 21 Sept. 10
Nov.

P. FRENSIIAM par. (8) Farnham hnnd. SW.
Surrey, 3 m. S. of Farnham-38, on a branch of
R. Wey, near Waverley abbey, contains Churt,
Pitford", and Shotter Mills cur. Acres 8780, with
hops, and two great ponds, one 3 m. round, which
abounds with fowl; pop. 1583 + 20, of tythg.
700 ; poor r. 13737. (Farnh. U.) ; real prop. 25697. ;
charities 31. St. Mary Cur. (Win.) val. 1067.,
patr. Rev. J. Colmer.

FRENZE par. (50) Diss hund. S. Norfolk, 1 m.
E. of Diss-8G, on a branch of R. Waveney, near
E. Union rail. Acres 500 ; pop. 46 ; poor r. I.
(DepwadeU.); real prop. 4987. St. Andrew Rect.
(Norw.) val. 707., patr. S. Smith, Esq. ; church,
has 8 brasses of the Blenhaysetts, etc. from 1475.

FRESDON tythg. (34) Highworth par. NE.
Wilts. 2 m. ENE. of Highworth-74. Pop. 43 + 2.

P. FRESHFORD, or AGHOURA, par. (9, 13)
Crannagh bar. N. Kilkenny, a petty sess., police,
and revenue station, 8 m. NW. of Kilkenny, 72
from Dublin, had an abbey found, by St. Lactan.
Acres 2178, with limestone, coal ; an. val. 247 71. ;
pop. 2650, of vil. 2075; houses 372, with a
chapel, dispensary, fever hosp., flour mill. Living,
a Rect. and prebend. (Os. F. L.) val. I., patr.
Bishop; church, has nonnan porch dated 1133.



Upperword, W. De Montmorency, Esq. who
owns the town ; Kilrush, A. St. George, Esq.
near Ballylarkin ruins. Balleen Cast, belonged
to the earls of Kilkenny. Fairs, 5 Aug. 31 Oct.
5, 17 Dec.

P. FRESHFORD par. (19) Bath-Forum hund.
NE. Somerset. 3 m. W. of Bradford-103, on R.
Avon, in a fine spot, containing several limits.,
has at Woodwick remains of a cell to Hinton
abbey, which it belonged to, and came to the
Davisons and Lord Methuen. Acres 440, with
stone, fullers' earth, etc. ; pop. 645, some cloth
workers ; poor r. 2987. (Bradf. U.) ; real prop.
2711/. ; charities 301. St. Peter Rect. (Ba. and W.)
val. with Woodwick 3407., patr. S. Dawes, Esq.

P. FRESHWATER par. (10) W. Medina lib. I.
of Wight, S. Hants. 9 m. WSW. of Newport-82,
on R. Yar, which rises near F. Gate, containing
Easton, Middleton, Norton, and Weston, and was
the birthplace of Hooke (1635-1702), whose father
was curate. Acres 4760 ; pop. 1299 + 11; poor r.
7. (I. of W. Incorp.) ; real prop. 55047. ; Charities
511., of which 277. to Urry's school. All Saints
Rect. (Win.) val. 7 107., patr. St. John's Coll. Camb. ;
church, has some old effigies. F. Gate is a creek
on F. Bay, with a rock in front, having near it a
cave open to the sea, 120 ft. deep, 35 wide, with
many wildfowl ; not far are Neptune's cave
(200"ft.) and an arched rock 600 ft. from the main.
F. House, W. Mitchell, Esq. On the hills above
stood the Needles light.

FRESHWELL, HUNDRED (47) N. Essex, contains
the pars, of Ashdon, Great and Little Bardfield,
Bard'field-Saling, Bumpstead-Helion, Hadstock,
Hempstead, Redwinter, Great and Little Samp-
ford ; acres 27,710, pop. 7496, houses 1530.

P. FRESSINGFIELD par. (50) Hoxne hund. N.
Suffolk, 7m. ENE. of Eye-89, where Abp. San-
croft was born and died. Acres 3780; pop. 145(5
+ 10 ; poor r. 9777. (Hoxne U.) ; real prop. 84447. ;
charities 467., of which 107. to Sancroft's school.
St. Peter and Paul Vic. (Norw.) val. with Withers-
dale 5977., patr. Emanuel Coll. Camb. ; church,
has brass of W. Brewse (1489).

P. FRESTON par. (48) Samford hund. S. Suf-
folk, 3 m. S. of Ipswich-G9, on the Orwell, has an
old square tower of the Latymers, 10ft. by 12,
and 6 stories high. Acres 1680 ; pop. 224 + 4 ;
poor r. 757. (Samf. U.) ; real prop. 17797. St. Peter
Rect. (Norw.) val. 3697., patr. Rev. J. T. Bond.

Freswick Water, or Water of Wick, rises in
Loch Watten, Mid. Caithness, runs 6 m. E. to F.
Bay, near F. House (on the site of the old castle)
and F. Point.

P. FRETHERNE par. (43) Upper Whitstone
hund. W. Gloucester. 7 m. WNW. of Stroud-101,
near R. Severn and Ship canal, was the Saxon
Fethanieag. Acres 380 ; pop. 242 + 2 ; poor r. 717.
(Wheatenhurst U.) ; real prop. 14427. ; charities,
Bayley's for preaching, etc. 957. St. Mary Rect.
(Gl. and Br.) val. 2827., patr. Sir E. Tierney, Bt.
F. Lodge, S. Whitelev, Esq., once a seat of the
Cliffords.

FRETTENHAM par. (67) Taverham hund. E.
Norfolk, 6 m. NNE. of Norwich-108. Acres
1420 ; pop. 285 + 2 ; poor r. 2837. (St. Faith's U.) ;
real prop. 23237. St. Peter Rect. (Norw.) val.
with Staininghall 3957., patr. Lord Suffield of
Uiixworth.

Fretum Britannicum or Gallicum of the Ro-
mans, is Straits of Dover, Kent.

French Water, joins R. Dee, NW. Kincardine.
at Banchory Ternan bridge, passing over a fall,
etc. from the Grampians.

Freuchie Loch, 5 m. SE. of Kenmore, Mid.
Perth, at the head of R. Bran.



736



FRE



Freugh ( ) near , Wigton. P. Maitland, Esq.

Frew, Fords of, where R. Goodie joins R. Forth,
S. Perth.

FREYNESTOWN par. (15, 21) Upper Talbots-
town bar. W. Wicklow, 5 m. N. of Ballinglass-37.
Acres 1569 ; pop. 294, decreasing. Living, a Vic.
with Dunlavia ; church, in ruins.

FREYSTHOP par. (40) Roose hund. S. Pembroke.

2 m. S. of Haverfordwest-251, near R. Cleddy.
Fop. 671 + 4 ; poor r. 736/. (Haverfrd. U.) ; real
prop. 19337. Living, a Rect. (St. Dav.) val. 1457.,
patr. Ld. Chancellor. Clariston, G. Roch, Esq.

Friar Crag ( ) a promenade on Derwent-
water, Cumbrld. near Keswick, commanding a fine
view of the lake. (^- F. Isld. 3 m. WSW. of
Dog's Head, W. Galway, has a shoal near it.
Igg- F. MERE quarter (88) Saddleworth chplry.
W. R. York, on Lancast. border, 6 m. SK. of
Rochdale-198. Living, a Cur. (Manch.) val. ISO/.,
patr. Vic. of Rochdale.

Friars (6) at Aylesford, Mid. Kent, a seat of
Earl of Aylesford. igiT Friars (9) near Chiches-
ter, W. Sussex, a seat of Fonnerau, Esq. thro'
the Booths. tgT Friars ( ) 1 m. ESE. of Win-
chelsea, E. Sussex, by the sea,

FKIARS BUILDINGS hmlt. ( ) Ilulne Park
tnshp. NE. Northmbrld. near Alnwick-308. Pop.
19. ^ F. Isld. ( ) 1 in. W. of Achris Point,
W. Galway, has some old church ruins. (^ F.
Place (7) 3 m. W. of Paddington, Mid. Middlesex,
on Gt. West. rail, near the Acton Wells, igg"
Friars, The (78) near Beaumaris, Anglesea, seat of
Lady Williams.

Friarstown (24) 3 m. S. of Tallaght, S. Dublin,
P. Shaw, Esq. gig" Friarstown (13) 4 m. S. of
Limerick, N. Limerick.

FRIARTON vil. E. Church par. SE. Perth, in
the city. Pop. 62.

FRICKLEY par. (87) X. Strafforth wap. W. R.
York. 8 m. NW. of Doncaster-162, is joined to
CLAYTON. F. Hall, R. Dawson, Esq. (?)

FRIDAYTHORPE par. ( ) Buckrose wap. E. R.
York. 8 m. NE. of Pocklington-212. Acres 2070 ;
pop. 320 + 4 ; poor r. 1037. (Pockling. U.) ; real
prop. 14027. Living, a Vic. (Yk.) val. 1127., patr.
Archbp.

Fridhy (8) at Mickelham, Mid. Surrey, seat of
late 'Conversation' Sharp, author of 'Essays.'

FRIENDLEY hmlt. (88) Warley tnshp." W. R.
York. 3 m. W. of Halifax- 197.

FRIESDEN, or FRITHSDEN, hmlt. (46) Pitstone
par. Bucks, and Great and St. Mary Berkhamp-
stead pars. Herts. 2 m. NE. of Berkhampstead-26.
Pop. 268.

FRIESTHORPE par. (83) Lawress wap. Mid.
Lincoln. 9m. NE. of Lincoln-132. Acres 610;
pop. 53 + 7 ; poor r. 157. (Line. U.) ; real prop.
6667. Living, a Rect. (Line.) val. 1147., patr.
Dean and Chap.

FRIESTON par. (69) Skirbeck wap. SE. Lincoln.

3 m. E. of Boston-113, near the coast, contains
F. SHORE hmlt and Crane End. Acres 3980,
fenny ; pop. 1276 + 19 ; poor r. 6507. (Boston U.) ;
real prop. 12,5497.; charities 1307., of which 9/, to
free school. St. James Vic. (Line.) val. with
Butterwick 3807., patr. Rev. J. Glover.

FRILFORD tnshp. (13) Marcham par. N. Berks.
3 m. W. of Abingdon-56, near R. Ock. Acres
1180; pop. 141 + 2; poor r. 647. (Abingd. U.) ;
real prop. 13387.

FRILSHAM par. (13) Faircross hund. Mid.
Berks. 6 m. NE. of Newbury-56, on a branch of
the Thames. Acres 920 ; pop. 182 ; poor r. 1257.
(Bradfield U.) ; real prop. 13897. ; charities 177.
St. Frideswide Rect. (Oxon.) val. 1317., patr. R.
Floyd, Esq.



FRI

P. FRIMLEY chplry. (8) Ash par. A 7 /T. Surrey,
9 m. NW. of Guildford-29, under F. Ridge, near
R. Blackwater and S. West. rail. Acres 7770, part
common ; pop. 1535 + 15 ; poor r. 7247. (Farnham
U.) ; real prop. 55577. ; charities, a share with Ash.
Living, a Cur. (Win.) val. 707., patr. Rector. F.
House, .

FRINDSBURY par. (6) Shamwell hund. Ayles-
ford lathe, 2V. Kent, 1 m. N. of Rochester-29, on
R. Medway and Thames canal, containing Upnor
Castle, was called Estingham, and given to Bps.
of Rochester by K. Offa. Acres 3010, with chalk,
clay ; pop. 2142 + 29 ; poor r. 8917. (N. Aylesf. U.) ;



Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 205 of 293)