(presb. Ayr.) val. Z., patr.. Communicants. F.
House, Duke of Portland.
FULLAWAY, or FULLWAY, tythg. (14) Allcan-
nings par. Mid. Wilts. 4 in. E. of Devizes-89.
FULLERTON tythg. (12) Wherwell par. NW.
Hants. 3 m. S. of Andover-63, on the canal.
FULLETBY par. (84) Hill hund. E. Lincoln.
3 m. NE. of Horncastle-134. Acres 1940; pop.
243 ; poor r. 134Z. (Horncast. U.) ; real prop.
2295Z. St. Andrew Rect. (Line.) val. 302Z., patr.
Mrs. A. R. Rockliffe.
FuLLNECKvil. (88)Pudseychplry. W.R. York.
5 m. E. of Bradford-196, a Moravian settlement,
FULLWAY. See FULLAWAY, Wilts.
P. FULMER par. (7) Stoke hund. SE. Sucks.
3 m. EXE. of Uxbridge-15. Acres 1780, part
common; pop. 355 ; poor r. 1481. (Eton U.) ; real
prop. 2223/. ; charities 23Z. St. James Rect.
(Oxon.) val. 285Z., patr. Dean and Canons of Wind-
sor. F. House, J. Kaye, Esq.
FULMODESTON par" (68) Gallow hund. N. Nor-
folk, 5 m. SE. of New Walsingham-113, contains
Croxton. Acres 2330; pop. 358; poor r. 309Z.
(VValsingh. U.) ; real prop. 3253Z. ; charities,
Bircham's and fuel allotment 69/. St. Marv Rect.
(Norw.) val. 460Z., patr. Corp. Ch. Col. Camb.
FULNETBY chplry. (83) Rand par. Mid. Lincoln.
9 m. NE. of Lincoln-132. Acres 1340 ; pop. 56 ;
poor r. 101. (Line. U.) ; real prop. 1032/.
FULNEY hmlt. (70) Spalding par. S. Lincoln.
1 m. E. of Spalding-98.
FULBEADY hmlt (53) Eatington par. /S. War-
wick. 4 m. SW. of Kineton-83.
FULSHAW tnshp. (81) Wilmslow par. NE.
Cheshire, 7 m. SE. of Altrincham-179, near Gd.
Juiict. Rail, and R. Bollin. Acres 540 ; pop. 305 ;
poor r. 351. (Altrinch. U.); real prop. 938/.
F. Hall, .
FULSTON. See FOOLSTONE, W. R. York.
FULSTOW par. (85) Bradley Haverstoe wap.
NE. Lincoln. 7 m. N. of Louth-143. Acres 2840 ;
pop. 501 + 6 ; poor r. 236/. (Louth U.) ; real prop.
42017.; charities, "bull grass" for overseers' ac-
count 19Z. St. Lawrence Vic. (Line.) val. 159/.,
patr. Lord Chancellor.
FULTON vil. Bedrule par. Mid. Roxburgh. 4 m.
SW. of Jedburgh-46, near R. Rule.
FULWELL tnshp. ( ) Monkwearmouth par.
NE. Durham, 2 m. N. of Sunderland-268, on the
rail. Acres 640 ; pop. 134, lime-burners, etc. ;
poor r. 37i (Sunderl. U.) ; real prop. 14951. In
1759, a skeleton 9J ft. long, with two roman coins
and an urn were found in the quarries.
FULWELL hmlt. (45) Spilsbury par. NW. Ox-
I ford. 4 m. SE. Chipping Norton-73. Pop. 62.
Fulwick, or Fulwell, Lodge (7) near Twicken-
ham, S W. Middlesex.
FULWOOD tnshp. ( ) Lancaster par. Mid.
Lancish. 2 m. N. of Preston-217, near Lancaster
rail. Acres 1780, formerly forest, but now en-
closed; pop. 628+12; poor r. 1307. (Prest. U.);
real prop. 5270/. ^T Fulwood (79) 2 m. SE. of
Liverpool, S. Lane. fif FULWOOD ext. par.
(82) N. Broxtow wap. W. Notts. 6 m. SW. of
Mansfield-138. Pop. 6. ^T FULWOOD hmlt.
(81) Upper Hallam tnshp. W. R. York. 4 m.
WSW. of Sheffield-162. Living, a Cur. (Yk.) val.
Z., patr. Miss Silcock.
Puncheon Lough (45) 8 m. NW. of Athlone, S.
Roscmn. gg" F. Rivulet ( ) rises on the bor-
ders of Cork, Limerick, and Tipperary, and runs
27 m. SW.and SE. to R. Blackwater below Fermoy,
Cork. Trout and salmon are caught.
FuNDENHALLpar. (66) Depwade hund. /S. Nor-
folk, 4 m. SSE. of Wymondham-100. Acres 1270 ;
pop. 367 ; poor r. 190Z. (Depw. U.) ; real prop.
262 1Z. ; charities, fuel allotment 9Z. St. Nicho-
las Cur. (Norw.) val. Z., patr. T. T. Berney, Esq.
FUNGARTH vil. Caputb par. E. Perth, near
Dunkeld-59. Pop. 76.
FUXNAXVAIR tnshp. (56) Llavair-Waterdine
par. SW. Salop, 4m. NW.of Knighton-165. Pop.
FITNSHOG vil. ( ) Ferraul bar. S. Louth, 2 m.
N. of Collon-38.
FUNTIXGTON par. (9) Bosham hund. Chichester
rape, W. Sussex, 4 m. N W. of Chichester-62, con-
tains E. and W. Ashling, and Sennicott's cur.
Acres 3810; pop. 983 + 2; poor r. 421Z. (West-
bourne U.); real prop. 7379Z. ; charities 31Z.
Living, a Cur. (Chic.) val. 150Z., patr. Dean and
Chap. F. House, .
Funtley (11) 3 m. NW. of Fareham, S. Hants.
Fura Isld. W. side of L. Ewe, W. Ross.
Furbough Harbour ( ) in Galway bay, S.
Galway, near F. House, A. W. Blake, Esq.
FURLAND tythg. (18) Crewkerne par. -S. So-
merset, near Crewkerne-132. Pop. 13.
FURNACE. See FORENAUGHTS, Kildare.
Furnance Lough (67) 2 m. N. of Newport, W.
Furne House (1) 6 m. SW. of Chelmsford, Mid.
&. FURNESS district. ( ) now part Lonsdale
hund. NW. Lancash. abounds in hill, dale, lake,
and wood, with some ranges of fells to the N.
where the wild boar, wolf, and stag were hunted,
and iron is still forged. F. Abbey, 1J m. S. of
Dalton, in a fine well-wooded glen, called Beck-
ansgill, or Night Shade vale, was found. 1127 by
K. Stephen for benedictines (afterwards cister-
tians), and includes remains of a part norman
church 275 ft. by 130, walls 54 high, chapter
house (60 by 45), hall, cloisters, school, gate,
lodge, mills, granaries, watch tower with a fine
view. Near it is Gleaston castle, f '. Rail, from
Barrow to Broughton (where Whiteh. joins),
made 1845, is 19 m. long, exclusive of 4 from
Dalton to Ulverstone ; cap. 195,000/. reed. (Aug.
1849) 247,9711, expend. 240,508/. * F. DEAN-
ERY, archdy. of Richmond, dioc. of Chester (to be
Carlisle) contains the benefices marked in N.
Furnish, or Furinish, Isld. (89) 1 m. W. of Go-
runna isld. SW. Galway, in Casheen bay.
Fursdon (21) 7m. N. of Exeter, NE. Devon.
gg Fursdon ( ) near Plympton St. Mary, /S W.
Devon. King, Esq.
FURTHO par. (46) Cleley hund. & Northmptn.
2 m. NNW. of Stoney Stratford-52, on Watling
St. near N. West. rail. Acres 480 ; pop. 16 ; poor
r. /. (Potterspury U.) ; real prop. I. St. Bar-
tholomew Rect. (Pet.) val. 141/., patr. Jesus
Furze (26) 4 m. WSW. of Holsworthy, NW.
Devon. J. Vowler, Esq.
FUKZE-COPE vil. ( ) Preshute par. NE. Wilts.
near Marlborough-74. Pop. 7. ^ F. Isld. (16)
2 m. S. of Poole, SE. Dorset, in the harbour.
$T F. Place Farm (11) near Southampton, S.
FURZLEY hmlt. (15) Bramshaw par. SE. Wilts.
llm. SE. of Salisbury-81.
FURZY-PARK hmlt. (40) St. Thomas par. Mid.
Pembroke, near Haverfordwest-251. Pop. with
P. Fushie Bridge Inn, 5 m. S. of Dalkeith, E.
Edinbro\ on a branch of R. Esk.
Futhills (11) near Bursledon, S. Hants, on R.
FWTHOG, or TOOTHOG, hmlt. (42) Cwmjoy
par. SW. Hereford. Acres 2010 ; pop. 132.
FYFIELD pa'r. (13) Ock hund. 2V. Berks. 5 m.
WNW. of Abingdon-56, containing Netherton
and Wick, had a hosp. found, before Hen. VI.
Acres 1620 ; pop. 382 ; poor r. 159/. (Abingd. U.) ;
real prop. 2598/. ; charities 231. St. Nicholas Cur.
(Oxon.) val. 125/., patr. St. John's Coll. ^"
FYFIELD, or FIFEHEAD, par. (1) Ongar hund. W.
Essex, 8 m. N. of Brentwood-18, on R. Roding, a
meet for the Essex hounds. Acres 2030; pop.
5C3 ; poor r. 307/. (Ongar U.) ; real prop. 39717, ;
charities 661. of which Walker's for school, etc.
471. St. Nicholas Rect. (Roch.) val. 45R, patr.
L. Pola, Esq. 3iT FYFIELD par. (12) Upper
Andoverhund. N W.Hants. 5m. WNW. of An-
dover-63, contains Redenham. Acres 2210 ; pop.
236 + 2; poor r. 1327. (Andov. U.); real prop.
12947. ; charities, Rogers' for poor 347. St. Nicho-
las Rect. (Win.) val. 2267., patr. Ld. Chancellor.
<^ FYFIELD par. (14) Elstub hund. Mid. Wilts.
2 m. WSW. of Marlborough-74. Pop. 150 ; real
prop. 10267. Living, a Vic. with Overton. F.
House, C. Penruddock, Esq.
Fylde P. L. Union, so called after a district
between Kirkham and Poulton, W. Lancash. N.
of the Ribble, contains the pars. etc. of Bispham
with Norbreck *, Bryning with Kellamargh, Car-
leton, Clifton with Salwick, Little Eccleston,
Elswick, Freckleton, Greenhalgh with Thirleton,
Hardhorn with Newton, Kirkham (where poor
ho. is),* Layton with Warbrut, Lytham *, Mar-
ton *, Medlar with Wesham, Newton with Scales,
Poulton*, Ribbywith Wray*, Singleton*, Thorn-
ton*, Treales, "koseacre, and Wharles, Warton*,
Weeton and Preese, with Mvthop, Westby ; acres
53,464, pop. 20,940, cases relieved (yr. 1846-7)
1756 (out-door 1629), expend. 4246/., prop, rated
106,017/. Sup. Registry comprises those marked *,
with Southshore, Whitechapel, Wittingham ; pop.
20,940 + 501. It belongs to Kirkham New County
Court district except Poulton, Bispham, Singleton,
which go to Poulton.
FYLLNGDALES par. ( ) Whitby-Strand lib.
N.R. York. 4m. SE. of Whitby-236, on Robin
Hood's Bay, contains FYLINGTHORPE and 7 other
hinlts. Acres 13,010 ; pop. 1611 +8 ; poor r. 403/.
(Whitby U.); real prop. 62487.; charities 167.
St. Stephen Cur. (Yk.) val. 1207., patr. Archbp.
Fyne Loch, between Cowal and Knapdale, S W.
Argyll., runs 43 m. NW. and NE. from Point
Lament, to Kilmorack and Glenfyne, and is 4 to
5 m. broad up to L. Gilp (where the Crinan Can.
begins), and 3 to 2 thence past Inverary, the
depths being 13 to 90 fath. It is noted for good
small gut herrings.
FYNHAM vil. (53) Stoneleigh par. Mid. War-
wick. 3 m. S. of Coven try-91, on the R. Sow.
Fynnon, or Ffynnon, Elian (79) a holy well, near
Llanelian, NW. Denbigh. ^ F., St. Dyfnog
(79) holy well, near Llanrhaiadr, Mid. Denbigh.
^T F. Fair (79) 2 m. S. of St. Asaph, 2V. Den-
bigh, on R. Elwy, has some remains of a small
chapel of 15th cent. US F. Taf (36) mineral
spring, near Cardiff, Glamorgan, on R. Taf.
FYNNONARTHUR tnshp. (60) Llanfihangel par.
2V. Montgomery. 5 m. SW. of Llanfyllin-179. Pop.
Fynonen ( ) 5 m. W. of Newcastle Emlyn,
NE. Pembroke. 3. Colly, Esq., near R. Teivi,
formerly the Morgans' seat.
Fyreburn, near Coldstream, S. Berwick.
P. FYVIE par. Turriff dist. 2V. Aberdeen. 8 m.
S. of Turriff-145, on R.Ythan, including Saphock,
Baldyquhash, Meiklefolla, Woodhead, has re-
mains of a tyronensian cell to Arbroath, found.
1179 by Fergus, earl of Buchan. Size 13m. by
8, or 20,000 acres, heathy, but much reclaimed ;
pop. 3597 + 35, many wool spinners ; real prop.
10,6127. ; for poor 3207. Living (presb. Turriff)
val. 2247., patr. Gordon of F. Castle, a large house
in a fine spot. Small pearls found in the river
Gaa Sand, in R. Tay, S. Forfar.
Gaaskier Isld. See GASKERE, Western Islds.
GABALVA, or CABALVA, hmlt. (36) Llandafif par.
SE. Glamorgan. 2m. NE. of Llandaff-162, near
the canal and R. Taf. Pop. 259 ; real prop. 27257.
G. House, J. Moggridge, Esq. belonged to the
Gabbaqe, or Cabbage, End (47) 6 m. ESE. of
Saffron Walden, 2V. Essex.
Gabbards, Inner, a shoal about 20 m. E. of
Harwich, lying N. and S. 54 m. long, with 2 to
6 fath. on it, and 10 to 15 off. g" G., Outer,
4 m. E. of the above, 3 m. long, with 2^ fath.
on and 6 to 15 off. Both are buoyed, and there is
almost always a ripple.
Gable, or 'Gavel, or Gravel ( Great) Fell ( ) near
Wast Water, S. Cumbrld. 2925 ft. high.
Gabrantuicorum Sinus of the Romans, is Filey
Bay, E. R. York, near Flamboro' Head, and the
seat of the Gabrantovici.
Gabriel's Mount (139) 4 m. W. of Ballydehab,
5 W. Cork, overlooking Scull, is 1339 ft. high.
Gabrosentum, of the Romans, is Druniburijli, on
Sol way Frith, 2V. Cumbrld., the 17th station on
the Wall, according to Horsley. Camden fixes it
at Newcastle. Gadanica,is placed at ILuvuK.
Roxburgh., on the roman way to Trimontium.
Gaddagh Rivulet (65, 73) rises in Lough Callce,
Mid. Kerry, runs 8 m. N. to R. Laune, 4 m. ESE.
GADDESBY par. (63) E. Goscote hund. Mid.
Leicest. 6 m. SvV. of Melton Mowbray-105. on a
branch of R. Wreak. Acres 1580 ; p'op. 331 + 6 ;
poor r. 1037. (M. Mowbray U.) ; real prop. 36767. }
charities 261. St. Luke Cur. with Rothley. G.
Hall, Col. Cheney, C. 13.
GADDESDEX, GREAT, par. (46) Dacorum hund.
W. Herts. 3 m. NNW. of Hemel-Hempstead-23,
on R. Gade, is Gadesdene of ' Domesdy.' and was
given by Edmd. of Cornwall to Ashridge Coll.,
and came to the Egertons. Acres 4000 ; pop. 1109
+ 12 ; poor r. 3467. (H. Hempstead U.) ; real prop.
59417. ; charities 36/. St. J. Baptist Vic. (Roch.)
val. 220/., patr. Mrs. Halsey of G. Place, b. 1773 ;
church, has tombs of the Egertons. Chaucer's
" John de G." was a native. G. Park, E. Pro-
theroe, Esq. G. Row, 2 m. E. &j G., LITTLE,
par. as above, 2 m. NW. with a good view, came
from the Zouches, Stanleys, etc. to the Egertons.
Acres 910 ; pop. 454 ; poor r. 947. (Berkhempstead
U.) ; real prop. 20367. ; charities 33/. St Peter
and Paul Rect. (Roch.) val. 302/., patr. Earl of
Gadeni, a trihe between the Teviot and Forth,
including Liddisdale, and part of the Marches
and Lothians, with Curia for their capital.
Gadesbridge (4C) near Hemel-Hempstead, W.
Herts., Sir A. P. Cooper, Bt., nephew of the great
surgeon, on R. Gade, which runs 14 m. S. to
R. Colne at Rickmansworth.
GADGIRTH Houvi and BANKFOOT vil. Coylton
par. Mid. Ayr. 5 m. E. of Ayr-74. Pop. 77. G.
Castle, J. J. Burnet, Esq. formerly the Chalmerses.
Gadie Water rises above Clatt, Mid. Aberdeen.
and runs 7 m. E. to R. tTrv below Oyne.
Gad's Hill (6) 1 m. N\V. of Strood, N. Kent,
where Prince Hal and Poins " three misbegotten
knaves in Kendal green," and " eleven men in
buckram " robbed " poor old Jack " Falstaff.
Goer. See Caer Bannau, Jirecon. |fap Goer,
2 m. SW. of Llanthoney abbey, Jff. Monmouth. a
camp on the Via Julia. giT Gaer, a camp near
Blaenforth, Cardigan., near the Clare's Castle and
two other camps. (gP Gaer, a roman camp on
the Via Julia, E. Brecon., near Tretower, where
tiles and coins have been found. gS" Gaer ( )
2 m. from Penybont, Radnor, on the Ithon, a
double-ditched british camp with a barrow near it.
gif Gaer, or Castell-y- G. ( ) near Llwyngwril,
SJV. Merioneth, a british camp. gig" GAER
tnshp. (60) Castle Caereinion par. E. Montgo-
mery. 4 m. SW. of Welshpool-171, near the roman
fort. Pop. 82 ; real prop. 20657.
GaerHouse ( ) near Goldcliff ( ?) S.Monmouth.
Miss Nicholl, close to a roman fort.
P. GAERIBEK vil. (78) Llanfihangel Esceitiog
par. SE. Anglesea, 7 m. WNW. of Bangor-236.
Gaetshefed of the Saxons, is GATESHEAD, or
Ad capr<B caput of Bede, DurJiam.
GAFFLOGIAN HUNDRED (75) SW. Carnarvon.
contains the boro' of Pwllheli, the pars, of
Bottwnog,Garn-giwch, Denio, Llan-bedrog, Llan-
fihangel-Bachellaeth, Llangian, Penrhos, and part
of Llannor; pop. 4814, houses 1058.
Gafort Green (3) 2 m. E. of Cranbrook, S. Kent.
GAFRIW limit. (57) Llanarth par. W. Cardigan.
4 m. SSE. of Aberaeron-192. Pop. 198.
Gafulford of the Saxons, is CAMELFORD, Corn-
GAGIXGWELL hnilt. (45) Enstone par. N. Ox-
ford. 6 m. NNW. of Woodstock-62. Pop. 57.
GAILE par. (47, 52-3) Middlethird bar. Mid.
Tipperary, 5 m. SSW. of Thurles-95, nearR. Suir.
Acres 2480 ; an. val. 17577. ; pop. 646, decreasing.
Living, a Rect. with Holycross. G. House, H.
Phillips, Esq. ; Killough Cast, under that hill.
Gain Cross (15) 3 m. NW. of Blandford, N.
Gaines (52) 4 m. X W. of St. Neot's, S W. Hunts.
Capt. Duberlej; formerly of the Lakes and Be-
verleys, belonged to Ramsey abbey. gaT Gaines
(1)1 m. NE. of Upminster, S.Essex. ^f Gaines
(55) 4 m. E NE. of Bromyard, NE. Hereford, near
14. Teme, J. Freeman, Esq. through the Gowers.
P. GAIXFORD par. ( ) SE. and S W.Darlington
wards, S. Durham, 8 m. WNW. of Darlington
-241, on R. Tees, containing Barnard Castle,
Denton, Whorlton (curs.) and 12 tnshps. be-
longed to the Baliols, now to Duke of Cleveland,
of Sallaby Hall. Acres 23,570, with coal, lime,
of town 2450 ; pop. 7083, decreasing, and 585 + 6 ;
poor r. 1137. (Teesdale U.); real prop. 44797.;
charities 1717., of which 51. to school. St. Mary
Vic. (Dur.) val. 7687., patr. Trin. Coll. Camb. ;
church, first b. by Bp. Egfrid. At Bolarn, Garth
the poet was born.
P. M. GAINSBOROUGH par. (83) Corringham
wap. parts of Lindsey, NJV. Lincoln. 15 m. N W. of
Lincoln, 148 from London (180 by Gt. North, rail,
which joins Man. and Line, here), a polling town
and bonding port, on R. Trent, containing Morton
and E. Stockwith curs., and Walkerith, was the
Saxon Gegnesburh, where K. Sweyne landed 1013,
and was killed, belonged to Will, de Valence
and Burghs, and was taken 1613 by Cromwell.
Acres 7210, with a sulphur spring ; pop. 7860 + 33,
of town 6948, in the manufact. of linseed cake,
rope, malt, tobacco, and in the carrying trade and
shipbuilding; houses 1524, with church, town-
hall (where qr. sessions were held) and gaol, 6
chapels, 2 banks, custom ho., savings bk. (45,9307.
from 1961 depositors), theatre, and assembly
rooms, news-room and athenaeum, cemetery,
3-arched bridge, iron foundry, free gram, school
(207. ), schools, and Union p. house; poor r. 20257
on 19,8707.; real prop. 27,2577. ; charities 3387.,
of which Wharton's 1077., Nicholson's 1007. All
Saints Vic. (Line.) val. 5297., Holy Trinity Cur.,
patr. of both Bishop. The old hall called John
O'Gaunt's palace, is a curious timbered house,
600 ft. square, with a tower 78 ft. high, chapel, etc.,
and belongs to the Hickmans of Thonock, who
are restoring it. The river is navigable to the
town for 200-ton craft. In 1846, 16 sail of 930 tons
( 8 being under 50 1 each) and 2 steamers of 105 t.
(1 under 50 t.) belonged to the port, which ex-
tends nearly to Hull roads, and the tonnage
Inwards and Outwards, including repeated voyages,
was, 'coastwise' 328 sail of 20,421, and 480 of
28,967 tons (besides 83 steamers of 6808 1. outw.),
from and to ' foreign ports ' 31 of 4263, and 22 of
2774 t. (besides 13 foreigners of 1709, and 11 of
1526 t.) ; total customs 61,9037. Castle hills camp,
double-ditched, and partly roman and danish, was
occupied by Cromwell when he defeated Gen.
Cavendish. The great Alfred here married Als-
witha, and it gives title of earl to the Noels.
Gains. P. L. Union, contains the pars. etc. of
Blyton-cum-Wharton, Blyborough, Brampton*,
Burton Gate, Butterwick (W.)*, Coates, Corring-
ham, Fenton*, Ferry (E.)*, Fillingham, Gains-
borough, Glentworth, Grayingham, Hardwick*,
Harpswell*, Haxey, Heapham, Hemswell, Ket-
tlethorpe, Kexby*, Knaith, Laughton, Lea,
Marton, Morton*, Newton-on-Trent, Northorpe,
Owston, Pilham, Scolton, Scotter, Southorpe*,
Springthorpe, Stockwith (E.)*, Stowe, Sturton
and Bransby*, Torksey, Upton, Walkerith*,
Wildsworth*, Willingham, Willoughton, in Lin-
coln, and Beckingham, Bole, Burton (W.), Mis-
terton, Saundby, Stockwith (W.)*,Walkeringham
in Notts. ; acres 100,584, pop. 25,855, cases relieved
(yr. 1846-7) 1940 (out-door 1308), expend. 70007.,
prop, rated 139,0047. Sup. Registry comprises
those marked * ; pop. 25,857 + 208 : 207 and
' many ' more deaths from cholera in 1849. Tho
New County Court district corresponds with tlie
Registry. Mkt. D. Tu. Fairs, Easter Mon. am
20 Oct. lasting 10 dys. ; Mon. before 5 July, anc
every other till 5 Aug., wool. See Stark's ' Gains-
Gair, or Gare, Loch, in Frith of Clyde, W. Dum-
barton, between Helensburgh and Roseneath, is
7 m. long by 1 broad. See GARELOCHHEAD.
Gulrden River, rises under Red Cairn, SW
Aberdeen, and runs 15 m. E. past Glengairden to
R. Dee, above Ballater.
Gairie Water, rises above Kirriemuir, W. For-
far. and runs 10 m. S. to R. Dean, near Glammis
GAIRI.OCH par. 46 m. WNW. of Dingwall,
W. Ross. 224 from Edinbro', on the Minch, be-
tween Gair Loch, i. e. ' short lake ' (3 m. by 2),
and L. Ewe, contains Polewe, Shieldag q. s. pars.,
Horisdale, Longo, Ewe Islds. and Kinlochewe on
Loch Marie (with 24 islds. and a druid circle
in it). Size 32 m. by 18, highland pasture, with
wood and water ; pop. 4880 + 44, gaelic-speaking,
in the cod and herring fisheries ; real prop. 4.8221. ;
for poor 4S57. Living (presb. Lochcarron) val.
2401, patr. Crown. Belongs to Sir K. S. Macken-
zie, Bt. of Conon.
GAIRNEY-BRIDGE hmlt. Cleish par. W. Kinross.
2 m. S. of Kinross-27, on G. Water (which rise
in King's Seat lochs, and runs 9 m. to SW. side
of L. Leven), was the residence of Mich. Bruce,
GAIRNTULLY par. is joined to DULL, Perth.
Gairsay Ixld. Kendall par. Mid. Orkney, 7 m.
N. of Ivirkwall, is 2 m. by 1^, with pasture, and
a small harb. Pop. 71.
GAISGILL hmlt. ( ) Orton par. Mid. West-
mrld. near Orton-276.
GAITSGILL tnshp. ( ) Dalston par. Mid. Cum-
brld. 5 m. S. of Carlisle-301, is joined to ROUGH-
TOX. Real prop. 1800/.
GALA, or GALWAY, par. joined to KIRKCUD-
Gala Water rises in Muirfoot Hills, SE. Edin-
bro', and runs 22 m. SE. among the hills past
Ileriot, Stow (where R. Heriot joins) to R. Tweed,
below Galashiels. Good trout are caught. " Braw,
braw lads of Gala water."
Galacum of the Romans, is AMBLESIDE, at the
head of VVindermere, Westmrld. where is a camp,
etc, ; by some it is placed at Appleby.
P. M. GALASHIELS par. 5 m. N. of Selkirk,
NE. Selkirk, and NW. Roxburgh., 33 from Edin-
bro' (by N. Brit, branch rail.), a thriving place
and burgh of barony at the bridge, on Gala Water
(as above) and R. Tweed, near Abbotsford, Mel-
rose, and other famous spots, was called Lindeen
tip to 1622, reb. about 1785, and once occupied
by a party of Edw. III.'s, who were cut off by the
people while gathering " sour plums." Size 5 m.
by 4, sheep-walks, 1480 ft. at Meghill, with slate,
granite; pop. 2140 + 61, of vil. 1695, weavers
(formerly of coarse woollens or 'Galashiels grey,' 1
now) of tartans, tweeds, fine shawls, etc. ; houses
343, with church, 3 chapels, 3 banks, 10 woollen
mill ^, brewery, tanyards, library, gram, school
(near which was a hunting tower or peel of the
Scottish kings) ; real prop. 90717. ; for poor 2807.
Living (presb. Selkirk) val. 2127., patr. H. Scott,
Esq., of G. Howie. It publishes the ' Border Ad-
vertiser' newspaper. Kirk fast, Th. before 2nd
Sund. May Mkt. D. Tu. Fairs, 3rd Wed. Mar.
8 July, 10 Oct.
Gulava of the Romans, near Keswick, . Citm-
brld. on Derwentwater, or at Old Town.
P. GALBALLY par. (49-50, etc.) Coshlea bar.
SE. Limerick, a petty sess. and police station, 8 m.
E. of Kiltinnane-146, under the Galtee mountns.
had some remains of a franciscan abbey found.
1204 by Donagh O'Brien, which came to the
Fitzgeralds and Cantwells. Acres 15,457, hilly,
with lime, stone, slate ; pop. 6651 + 109, of vil.
777 + 21. Living, a Rect. with Dunstrilengue,
Riversdale, W. Massey, Esq. Fairs, 12 May,
GALBOOLY par. (41, 47-8) Eliogarty bar. Mid.
Tipperary, 2 m. SE. of Thurles-95. Acres 1267,
good; pop. 410. Living, a Tic. with Borrisleigh.
GALBY, or GAULBY, par. (64) Gartree wap.
Mid. Leicest. 7 m. ESE. of Leicester-96, contains
Frisby. Acres 1 170 ; pop. 108 ; poor r. 511. (Bil-
lesdeii TJ.); real prop. 16297. St. Peter Rect.
(Pet.) val. 2757., patr. G. Keck, Esq.
GALDRY, or GALLERY, vil. Balmerino par. N.
Fife. 5 m. N. of Cupar-32. Pop. 355.
Gale Homes (97) 3 m. SW. of Reeth, N. R.
York, on R. Swale, igp G. PAPER WORKS vil.
(89) Sharpies tnshp. S. Lancash. 2 m. N. of Bol-
Galenga of the Irish, is Galen bar. Mayo, a part
of Coranna. G. Beg, was part of Bregia, Meath.
GALES tnshp. (79) Llanganhafal par. N. Den-
bigh. 3 m. NNE. of Ruthin-195. Pop. 123. ggT
GALES tnshp. (79) Llangwyfan par. near the
above. Pop. 75.
GALEY par. (5, 6, 10-1) Iraghticonner bar. N.
Kerry, 2 m. NW. of Listowel-171, on G. River
(which rises near Newcastle, Limerick, and runs
12 m. W. to R. Feale), contains Gunsboro'. Acres
12,605, good, with bog; pop. 3041 + 12. Living,
a Vic. with Listowel.
Galfourd's Court (55) 4 m. NW. by N. of
Upton. SW. Worcest.
P. Galgate ( ) 4 m. S. of Lancaster-240, N. Lan-
cash. on Prest. rail.
GALGORM vil. (37) Lower Toome bar. W. An-
trim, 2 m. W. of BalIymena-118. Pop. 156, de-
creasing. G. Castle, Earl Mountcashel, b. by Dr.
GALHAMPTON hmlt. (18) N. Cadbury par. NE.
Somerset. 2 m. SSE. of Castle-Cary-113. Pop.
424 ; real prop. 19287.
Gallagh ( ) near Tuam, N. Galway, C. O'Kelly,
Gallon Head, W. side of Lewis, Western Iskls.
near L. Roig.
Gallanach, near Argyll. D. M'Dougall, Esq.
Gallany (9) near Strabane, N. Tyrone.
P. GALLATOWN, or GALLOWTOWN, vil. Dj^sart
par. S. Fife. 1 m. NW. of Dysart-16, has a large
coarse pottery work. Pop. 1198+ 14.
GALLEN BARONY (48-50, etc.) E. Mayo, con-
tains the pars, of Attymass, Bohola, Kilconduff,
Kilgarvan, Killasser, Killeden, Meelick, Temple-
more, Toomore, and part ofKildacommoge; acres
119,392, an. val. 34,1587., pop. 46,566, houses 8437.
GALLEN par. (21-3, etc.) Garrycastle bar. W.
King's Co. 3m. NE. of Banogher-82, on Gd.
canal, Rs. Shannon, Brosna, and Silver, contains
loghan, Clonony, Shannon harbour, and Fer-
bane, was a seat of the Coghlans (whose castle was
:aken by Ireton 1650), and had an abbey found.
Before 563 by St. Diarniid, with St. Canoe's priory
bund. 490, and given to the Moores, of which
here are remains. Acres 1 9,226, with limestone