P. GANNICK CORNER (7) 2*m. NNE. of Barnet
Gannons Green (47) 3 m. S. of Buntingford, E.
GANOL hmlt. (41) Llansawel par. E. Car-
marthen. 9 m. N. of Llandilo-fawr-202. Pop. 337.
GANSTEAD tnshp. ( ) Swine par. E. R. York.
4 m. NE. of Hull-171. Acres 580 ; pop. 66 ; poor
r. 62/. (Skirlaugh U.); real prop. 1232
GANTHORPE tnshp. ( ) Terrington par. N. R.
York. 6 m. W. of New-Malton-217. Acres 700;
pop. 118 ; poor r. 30/. (Malton U.) ; real prop.793/.
GANTON par. ( ) Dickering wap. E. R. York.
8 m. SSW. of Scarboro'-187, near the rail., con-
tains Potter-Brompton. Acres 3650 ; pop. 428 ;
poor r. 77/. (Scarboro' U.); real prop. 3191 /. St.
Nicholas Vic. (Yk.) val. 13U, patr. Sir T. D.
Legard, Bt. of G. Hall.
Gantsend (47) 4 m. NE. of Bishop Ftortford,
Gap Hill (2) 4 m. NW. of Clare, N. King's Co.
329 ft. high.
Gara Lough, 6 m. SW. of Boyle, between
Mayo, Sligo, and Roscomn. is about 5 m. long, 4
broad, and 227 ft. above sea.
Garadice Lough (25-6) 3 m. E. of BaJlinamore,
E. Leitrim, is 2J m. long, near G. House, A.
Garan, or Garron, Isld. Durness par. N.
Sutherld. 5 m. E. by S. of Cape Wrath.
Garbally (87) near Ballinasloe, E. Galway,
Earl of Clancarty.
P. GARBOLDISHAM par. (50) Guilt-Cross hund.
S. Norfolk, 4 m. S. of E. Harling-89, near R.
Waveney. Acres 3130 ; pop. 777 + 6 ;. poor r.
435/. (Guiltc. U.) ; real prop. 4541/. ; charities
57/. St. John Rect. (Norw.) val. with All Saints
Rect. 491Z., patr. C. M. Montgomery, Esq. G.
Hall, Marq. of Blandford.
Garbrand Hall (8) at Ewell, N. Surrey.
GARBYTHORPE hmlt. (71) Clifton par. SW.
Notts. 3 m. SW. of Nottingham-124. Pop. 49.
Gardenfield (29) 2 m. NW. of Tuam, N. Gal-
way, on R. Clare, J. Kirwan, Esq.
GardenhiU (25) 7 m. SW. of Enniskillen, W.
Gardenmore ( ) near Larne, E. Antrim, S.
Gardenmorris (25) near Kell, Mid. Waterford,
12 m. SW. of Waterford, J. O'Shea, Esq.
GARDEXSTOWN vil. Gamrie par. NE. Banff.
7 m. E. of Banff-156, was found, by Ld. Garden-
ston. Pop. 348.
P. Garderhouse, near Lerwick, Shetland Islds.
Gardholm ( ) 5 m. WNW. of Beverley, E. R.
Gardlners End (46) 3 in. WSW. of Bunting-
ford, NE. Herts. 1 G. Green (8) 1 m. SSE. of
Wokingham, SE. Berks.
P. GARDINERS STREET (5) 3 m. NE. of Hails-
ham-59, SE. Sussex.
Gardyne Castle, at Kirkden, Forfar. Lyal,
Esq., b. 1538, on a rock, near G. Law.
Gare, or Care, Sand ( ) W. side of R. Tees'
mouth, SE. Durham, is 4 m. by 2, and has, in
lat. 54 38' N., long. 1 13' W., "a floating light,
put up 1836, 20 ft. high, and seen 7 in.
P. GARELOCKHEAD vil. Row par. W. Dum-
barton. 7 m. N W. of HeIensburgh-66, at the head
of Gair or Gare Loch. Pop. 217.
Garendenny (36) near Doonaire, S. Queen's Co.
GAHEXDON ext, par. (63, 71) W. Goscote hund.
N. Leicest. 2 m. W. of Lough boro'- 109. Acres
1270 ; pop. 71+2. G. House, C. Phillipps, Esq.,
on site of the cistertian abbey found. 1133 by
Rob. de Bossu.
GARFINNY par. (43, 53) Corkaquiny bar. W.
Kerry, 2 m. NE. of Dingle-220. Acres 3916,
mountain; pop. 914, decreasing. Living, a Vic.
(Lk. A. A.) val. 43/., patr. Bishop. Ballina-
taggart, S. Hickson, Esq., hus some old remains.
GARFORTH chplry. (13) Marcham par. N.
Berks. 4m. WSW. of Abingdon-56, on R. Ook.
Acres 1170 ; pop. 163 ; poor r. 741. (Abingd. U.) ;
real prop. 2265/.
P. GARFORTH par. (87) Lower Skyrack wap.
W. R. York. 7 m. E. of Leeds-189, on Selby rail,
contains EAST, WEST, CHURCH, and MOOR GAR-
FORTH, limits, and Ansthorpe. Acres 1700 ; pop.
1220 + 44 ; poor r. 1977. (Gt. Preston Incorp.) ; real
prop. 2946Z. ; charities, 31. to school. St. Mary
Meet. (Rip.) val. 514/., patr. Rev. Mr. Whitaker.
. GARGRAVE par. ( ) E. Staincliff wap. W. R.
York. 3 m. WNW. of Skipton-216, on R. Aire and
Leeds canal, contains Cold Coniston cur., Eshton,
Flashy, and Bank-Newton. Acres 10,420, of
town 3490 ; pop. 1761, and 1176 +11, cotton spin-
ners ; poor r. 247/. (Skipton U.) ; real prop. 6144/. ;
charities 73Z., of which 15/. to school. St. Andrew
Vic. (Rip.) val. 750/., patr. Rev. A. Marsden,
vicar. Roman remains have been found. G.
House, J. Coulthurst, Esq.
P. GARGUNNOCK par. 6 m. W. of Stirling, N.
Stirling. 41 from Edinbro', near Offer Bridge, on
R. Forth, had at Fewsford a peel, which Wallace,
while at Kier hill fort, took from the English.
Size 6 m. by 3J, part carse and muir land, once
forest, but mostly reclaimed ; pop. 803 + 20, of
vil. 319, weavers; real prop. 6856Z. ; for poor
69/. Living (presb. Stirlg.) val. 155/., patr. Sir
J. W. Drummond, Bt. G. House, Eidingtown,
Esq., with an old tower, etc. ; Boquhan, H. Camp-
bell, Esq. ; Micklewood, Col. Graham.
Garianonum, of the Romans, is BURGH CASTILE,
Suffolk, on R. Tare, or Garryenus of Ptolemy.
Some place it at Caister and Yarmouth.
Garinish Head (126) 1m. NE. of Dursey Isld.
SIV. Cork. ^ G. Isld. (99, 100) in Sneem
harb. S W. Kerry, in Kenmare river.
GARIOCH DISTRICT on R. Don, Mid. Aberdeen.
contains the pars, of Bourtie, Chapel of Garioch,
Culsalmond, Daviot, Insch, Inverury, Keithall
and Kinkell, Kintore, Leslie, OldMeldrum, Mony-
musk, Oyne, Premnay, and Rayne. Pop. 16,852.
Garhton Hills, 2 m. X. of Haddington, Mid.
Hadngtn. near G. House, have the Hopetoun pillar
on the top.
Garlie Bank, at Cupar, Mid. Fife, on R. Eden,
has Howlet Hill, where Argyle and the lords of
the Congregation signed the treaty of 1559 with
the Q. Regent's forces.
P. GARLIESTOWN vil. ( ) 2 m. E. of Sorbie, SE.
Wigton. in that par. has a chapel, and harb. or sub-
port to Dumfries, with 2 to 3 fath. at the mouth
of Broughton and Pontenburns, W. side of Wigton
bay. Pop. 656. Galloway Ho., Earl of Galloway,
who takes title of Lord Garlies.
Garling (3) 1 m. SW. of Margate, NE. Kent.
GARLINGE GREEN hmlt. (3) Petham par. E.
Kent, 3 m. SSW. of Canterbury-55. Pop. 46.
Garlinnick (31) 1 m. N. of Grarnpound, Mid.
GARMELOW hmlt. (73) Horseley tnshp. W.
Stafford. 1 m. SW. of Eccleshall-148.
GARMOND vil. Monquhitter par. N. Aberdeen.
9 m. SW. of Aberdour-60. Pop. 226.
GARMONDSWAY-MOOR tnshp. ( ) Bishop's
Middleham par. E. Durham, 7 m. SE. of Durham
-258, on Hartlepool rail. Acres 1040 ; pop. 157
+ 12 ; real prop. 4162/., of which 3144Z. on mines.
P. GARMOUTH vil. Speymouth par. N. Elgin,
3m. N. of Fochabers-138,"a sub-port to Banff, at
R. Spey's mouth, and a burgh of barony under
the Gordons (now Duke of Richmond) of Gordon
Castle. Pop. 604, in the timber, salmon, and ship-
Garmstone (61) 4 m. NNW. of Much-Wenlock
-148, Mid. Salop.
Garmuih, of the Saxons, is YARMOUTH, Norfolk.
GARN tnshp. (74) Llanfawr par. NE. Merioneth.
1 m. NE. of Bala-194. Pop. 161 ; real prop. 807/.
Garnavilla (81) 2 m. SE. of Caher, S. Tipperary,
J. A. Butler, Esq.
GARXEDD tnshp. (79) Gwaenysgor par. N".
Flint. 4m. NE. of Rhyddlan-208. "Pop. 47.
GARNEDD-WEN tnshp. (79) Ysceifiog par. N.
Flint. 5 m. WSW. of Flint-197. Pop. 90.
Garner River (43) runs into R. Wye, at Whit-
church, S. Hereford.
Garnets (47) 4 m. NNW. of Chelmsford, Mid.
Garn-fawr (40) british camp, near Trefin, W.
Pembroke, and Castle Hafod camp on the Via Julia
way to St. David's.
Garnkirk, at New Monkland, N W. Lanark, seat
of Dunlop, Esq., on a rail, from Glasgow to Coat-
bridge, 11 m. long, made 1831, now in connection
with the Caledonian.
Garnock River, rises under Misty Law, NW.
Ayr. and runs 15 m. S. past Kilbirnie (over a
fall), Dairy, Kilwinning, to Irvine harb. Gave
title of visct. to the Craufords.
Garnons (43) 5 m. S. of Weobly, Mid. Hereford.
Sir G. H. Cotterell, Bt. under Bishopstone 'Hill,
with fine views of the Wye.
Garnstone Castle (55) 1 m. S. of Weobly, Mid.
Hereford. S. Peploe, Esq.
Garogue River (15) rises in Lough Gill, JV.
Sligo, and runs 4 m. NW. to Sligo Bay.
Garomna Isld. ( ) in Great Man's Bay, S.
Galway, a fishing station (with a pier), containing
1427 acres. Near it is the Englishman's rock.
GARONHILL vil. Muirkirk par. E. Ayr.
Garracloon Lodge (121) 2 m. E. of Cong, S.
Mayo, near Lough Corrib, R. Blake, Esq.
Garrahan Mountn. ( ) 7 m. NW. of Douglas,
I. of Man, 1520 ft. high.
GARRANAMANAGH par. (9) Crannagh bar. NW.
Kilkenny, 2 m. NW. of Freshford-72. Acres 529 ;
pop. 164. Living, a Rect. with Burnchurch.
GARRANEKINNEPEAKE par. (76, 88) Barrymore
and Imokilly bars. E. Cork, 2 m. W. of Cloyne
-152, E. side of Cork harbour opposite Great isld.
contains Rathcoursey. Acres 1571; pop. 1158
+ 12. Living, a Rect. (Ck. R. C.) appropriated
to Bishop's mensal.
GARRANGIBBON par. (71-2, 78-9) Slievardagh
and E. Iffa and Offa bars. SE. Tipperary, 6 m. N W.
of Carrick-on-Suir-113. Acres 4912; pop. 1162
+ 30. Living, an impropriate Rect. (Ca. E. W. L.).
Garranlea (68) 5 m. SSW. of Cashel, S. Tip-
perary, L. Keating, Esq.
Garros Mine ( ) near Truro, W. Cornwall, has
galena (with 60 to 70 oz. silver per ton), magne-
sia or pearl spar, etc.
Garrafs Linn, a fall of R. Calder, W. Renfrew.
Garraunbaun Rock (44) 4 m. NE. of Water-
ford, S. Kilkenny, yields good millstones.
Garrawalt, 4 m. E. of Braemar, S W. Aberdeen.
a branch of the Dee, with a fall on it.
Garreg (79) near Whitford, N. Flint, has an
old roman pharos or light.
Garret, High (47) 2 m. NE. of Braintree, N.
Essex. ti^ G. Upper (7) 2 m. S. of Wandsworth,
NE. Surrey, on R. Wandle, near G. Green, where
the mock election took place at every new parlia-
ment up to 1796, which gives name to Foote's
farce of the " Mavor of Garratt."
Garrettstown (124) 5 m. SW. of Kinsale, S.
Cork, J. C. Kearney, Esq.
Garrick (70) 4 m. NW. of Swineshead, S. Lincln.
GARRIGILL, chplry. ( ) Alston par. E.Cumbrld.
2 m. SE. of Alston-272, under Middle Fell. Pop.
1474, decreasing, in the lead mines, the copper
not being worked ; charities, see ALSTON. Living,
a Cur. with Alston Moor. Fairs, 3rd Frid. May,
1st Frid. Sept.
Garrion House, near Dalserf, Mid. Lanark. Lord
Belhaven, close to G. Bridge, on the Clyde.
Garnsker (3) near Broadford, NW. Kildare,
12m. NW. of Robertstown, J. Nangle, Esq.
(;AI:HISON-SIDE ext. par. (86) Kingston-on-
Hull county part, E. R. York, near Hull-171.
Acres 80; pop. 160, decreasing; real prop. 4766/.
GARRISSON vil. (13) Magheraboy bar. N. Fer-
managh, a police station, 4 m. S. of Belleek-126.
Fairs, 21 May, 19 July, 21 Oct. Dec.
GARRISTON tnshp. ( ) Haukswell par. N. R.
York. 3 m. ENE. of Leyburn-235. Acres 480 ;
pop. 54 ; poor r. 31?. (Leyb. U.).
P. GARRISTOWN par. (3, 4, 6, 7) W. Balrothery
bar. N W. Dublin, a police station 20 m. from
Dublin, includes Baldwinstown. Acres 5345 ; pop.
2420 + 34, of vil. 461, decreasing. Living, a
Vic. (Du. G. K.) val. 74/., patr. Visct. Kingsland.
Fairs, 5 May, 15 Aug. 1 Nov.
Garrock Burn, a branch of R. Ae, NW. Dum-
fries, near G. Hill. ^ G. Head, S. end of Bute,
'in Frith of Clyde, 750 ft. high.
Garromin Lough ( ) Ballynahinch bar. NW.
Garron Bog ( ) Queen's Co. and Tippery.
2 m. W. of Borris in Ossory, contains 745 acres,
g^" G. Point ( ) in Red Castle bay, E. An-
trim, a rocky height having a very fine view, near
G. House, Turn ley, Esq.
GARROTLEE vil. ( ) Wingates tnshp. Mid.
Northmbrld. 4 m. SE. of Rothbury-304. Pop. 29.
GARROWBY hmlt. ( ) Kirby-under-Dale par.
E. R. York. 5 m. N. of Pocklington-212, a seat of
Rt. Hon. Sir C. Wood. Bt.
Garry Loch, in Atholl, NW. Perth. 3 m. long,
is near the head of G. River, which rising in the
Grampians, runs 30 m. SE. through it to Dalna-
cardoch (where R. Edendon joins), Dalmean (the
Ender), Strewan (Feachory), Pittagowan (Bruar
joins), Blair Atholl (the Tilt), and the Tummel,
below Killiecrankie, in a fine spot. Ijap" G. Loch,
W. side of L. Oich, S W. Inverness., to which G.
Water runs 5 m. E. through Glengarry.
Garry antanvally (10) near Listowel, 2V. Kerry,
A. Elliot, Esq. on R. Feale.
GARRYCASTLE BARONY (13-5, etc.) W.King's
Co. contains the pars, of Clonmacnoise, Gallen,
Lemonaghan, Lusmagh, Reynagh, Tisaran, and
Wheery or Killagally ; acres 103,879, an. val.
39,869/., pop. 30,389, houses 5281. gg G. House,
( ) near , King's Co. T. Armstrong, Esq.
Garry clogh Rivulet (15) rises in Lough Henney,
N. Down, and runs 7 m. N. to R. Lagan, near
GARRYCI.OYNE par. (62-3, 73) Barretts and E.
Muskerry bars. Mid. Cork, 4m. NW. of Cork-160,
contains Blarney. Acres 5866, good, with lime-
stone; pop. 1814, decreasing. Living, a Rect.
(Ck. R. C.) with Grenaugh, val. 1509/., patr.
Bishop. G. House, J. Travers, Esq. b. 1535 by
Garry duff' Bog ( ) 4 m. NW. ofRathdowney,
Queen's Co. and Tippery. contains 3920 acres.
iSsT G. House (37) 4 m. NW. of Youghal, SW.
Waterford, near R. Blackwater, T. Garde, Esq.
Garryenvs Fluvium, R. Yare. See Garianonum
Garryhinch Bog ( ) border of King's and
Queen's Co. 2 m. NE. of Mountmellick, contains
5297 acres. ^T G. House (33) 2 m. SW. of
Portarlington, E. King's Co. on R. Barrow, R.
Garryhunden (12) near Morney, Mid. Carlow,
Garryicken (30) 4 m. S. of Callan, W. Kilkenny,
Marquis of Ormond.
GAKUYNOE hmlt. ( ) Liberties of Kilmallock,
S. Limerick, near Kilmallock-124.
GARRYSPILLANE vil. (49) Coshlea bar. SE.
Limerick, 5 m. NE. of Kilfinnane-146. Pop. 156.
GARRYVOE par. (77, 89) Imokilly bar. E. Cork,
3 m. SE. of Castlemartyr-149, on Ballycottin Bay.
Acres 1698 ; pop. 966 + 15. Living, a Vic. with Kil-
credan ; church, in ruins. G. Lodge, J. O'Neil, Esq.
GARSCADDEN vil. 1 m. N W. of the following.
GARSCUBE hmlt. E. Kilpatrick par. <S. Dumbtn.
5 m. NW. of Glasgow -44, has a good stone quarry
near the Gt. Canal. G. House, Sir A. Campbell, Bt.
GARSDALE chplry. ( ) Sedbergh par. W. R.
York. 4 m. NE. of Dent-270, contains Grizedale.
Acres 10,930, moorland ; pop. 681 + 3 ; real prop.
25567. St. J. Baptist Cur. (Rip.) val. 777., patr.
GARSDON par. (34) Malmesbury hund. 2V. Wilts.
2 m. ENE. of Malmesbury- 94. Acres 1140 ; pop.
215 ; poor r. 887. (Malmesb. U.) ; real prop. 16347.
All Saints Rect. (Gl. and Br.) val. with Lea 3417.,
patr. J. Neeld, Esq. M. P.
GARSHALL GREEN hmlt. (72) Milwich par.
Mid. Stafford. 4 m. E. of Stone-141.
GARSINGTON par. (13) Bullingdon hund. Mid.
Oxford. 5 m. SE. of Oxford-54, near R. Thame,
was a barony under the De la Mares, and has an old
seat of Sir T. Pope, founder of Trinity Col. Oxon.
Acres 2230 ; pop. 591 ; poor r. 410/. (Heading-
ham U.); real prop. 31067.; charities 41. St.
Mary Rect. (Oxon.) val. 4827., patr. Trinity Coll. ;
church, ancient, with brass of T. Radley (1484),
and a lich gate. Allan, who assisted Wood in
his ' Athenae Oxon.' was a native.
GARSION vil. (59) Machynlleth par. W. Mont-
gomery, near Machynlleth-205. Pop. 143.
P. M. GARSTANG par. ( ) Amounderness
hund. Mid. Lancash. 10 m. S. of Lancaster, 229
from London, on Preston canal and rail, and R.
Wyre, a polling and petty sessions town, contain-
ing Pilling cur, Catterall, and 12 tnshps., was oc-
cupied by Charles Stuart 1715, and under charter
of Ch. II. is governed by a bailiff, 7 burgesses, etc.
Acres 26,580, with Pilling moss, of town 500 ;
pop. 7659 + 73, and 909 in the cotton and worsted
mills and print works ; houses , with 4 chapels,
town hall, free school (67.), and Union p. house ;
poor r. 3117. on 1572/. ; real prop. 28057. ; charities
1867. St. Helen Cur. (Manch.) val. 150/., patr.
Vicar of Church Town; church, reb. 1746. Trout,
chub, etc. are found in the river, near which is
Greenhaugh Cast, in ruins, and Kirkland Hall,
T. Cole, Esq. Garst. P. L. Union, contains the
pars. etc. of Barnacre with Bonds, Bilborough,
Bleasdale*, Cabus, Catteral, Claughton (where
poor ho. is), Cleveley, Eccleston (Great), Forton,
Garstang*, Hambleton*, Holleth, Kirkland,
Myerscough, Nateby, Pilling*, Preesall with
Hackensall, Rawcliffe (Out) *, Rawcliffe (Upper)
with Tarnicar, Sowerby with Inskip, Stalmin with
Stanall*, Winmarleigh, Wyersdale (Nether);
acres 55,920, pop. 13,017, cases relieved (yr.
1846-7) 1677 (out-door 1602), expend. 40987.,
prop, rated 60,6307. Sup. Registry comprises those
marked *, with Copp, St. Michael-on-Wyre, Els-
wick ; pop. 13,007 + 109. The New County Court
district corresponds with the Registry (except
Preesall, and Stalmine which go to'Poulton).
Mkt. D. Th. Fairs, Holy Th. 10 July, 22 Nov.
Garsted Wood (46) 6 m. NW. Hatfield, Mid.
GARSTON chplry. (80) Childwell par. SW.
Lancash. 5 m. SE. of Liverpool-206, on R. Mersey,
contains Aigburth cur., and Speke. Acres 1680 ;
pop. 1888 + 74, some in the salt works; poor r.
2367. (W. Derby U.) ; real prop. 20,8197. ; charities
127. Living, a don. Cur. (Ches.) val. 1387., patr.
R. Watt, Esq.
GARSTON, EAST, par. (13) Lambourn, Monton,
and Wantage hunds. W. Berks. 2 m. SE. of Lam-
bourn-65, on R. Kennet. Acres 4520 ; pop. 662 ;
poor r. 4697. (Hungerfd. U.) ; real prop. 5038/. ;
charities 6/. for school. All Saints Vic. (Oxf.)
val. 239/., patr. Christ Ch. i^" G. Hall(&) 6 m.
SSE. of Crovdon, E. Surrey.
. Garstons\7) 2m. NNE. of Watford, SW.
Herts. J. Falcon, Esq.
Garswood (89) 2m. NE. of St. Helen's, S.
GARSWYLUD vil. (75) Edeyrn par. S W. Car-
narvon. 2 m. W. of Nevin-240. Pop. 42.
GARTAN par. (43-4, etc.) Kilmacrenan bar.
JV. Donegal, 6 m. NW. of Letterkenny-146, has
traces of St. Columb's abbey found. 521. Acres
44,124, with bog, water, and mountain, rising
2143 at W. Dooish, and 1770 at Glendowan ; pop.
2080, decreasing. Living, a Vic. (Dy. R.) val.
162Z., patr. Bishop. G. House, Capt. Chambers,
on D. Lough, which is 2 m. long.
Gartanoul Head ( ) near Killeshandra, E.
GARTCLOSS vil. Old Monkland par. .ZV. Lanark.
7 m. E. of Glasgow-44. Pop. 206.
Gartcosh, 3 m. W. of Coatbridge, NW. Lanark.
on Caledn. rail.
Garth ( ) at Llanleonvel, N.Brecon, on R. Irvon,
now a fann, was a seat of the Gwynnes. ' Garth,'
a hill or point, ijip GARTH parcel ( ) Ystrad-
gynlais par. SW. Brecon. 8m. NNE. of Xeath
-198, contains Gabillo, Giedd, Dyfnant, and Bullfa.
Pop. 382. igl GARTH tnshp. (57) with Ystrad,
Llan-ddewi-brefi par. SE. Cardigan. 3 m. SSW.
of Tregaron-204, on the Teivi. Pop. 90 ; poor r.
26Z. (Treg. U.) ; real prop. 849Z. Hg GARTH vil.
(78) Bangor par. N. Carnrvn. near Bangor-236,
at the ferry. Pop. 268. gg" GARTH hmlt.
(36) Llanfabon par. E. Glamrgn. 5 in. NW. of
Caerphilly-160, on R. Taf, contains Morlais Cast,
on the faf. Pop. 1209 + 63, colliers, etc.; real
prop. 10,588Z., of which 8180Z. on canal. ^
GARTH hmlt. (42) Merthyr-Tydvil par. NE.
Glamrgn. 2 m. NNE. of Merthyr -Tydvil-171.
Pop. 6967, in the ironworks and collieries;
real prop. 14,0987., of which 1500Z. on mines. Cy-
farthfa, W. Crawshay, Esq. igT GARTH limit
(36) Pentyrch par. 3 in. SW. of Caerphilly-160,
SE. Glamrgn. is a meet for the Park hounds.
Pop. 1053 ; real prop. 3240/. ^ GARTH tnshp.
(60) Guilsfield par. NE. Montgmry. 2 m. N. of
Welshpool-171. Pop. 252, decreasing ; real prop.
1965/. G. House, R. Mytton, Esq., through the
Wynnes of the Brochwel line, was built for
100,000/., and is near Garva, or Gaer Vawr, ro-
Garth Castle, 3 m. N. of Taymouth, Mid.
Perth, in ruins. ifS" G.-GARMOX, or CAPEL-
G. tnshp. ( ) Llanrwst par. NW. Denbigh, near
Llanrwst-217. Pop. 728; real prop. 16i9Z. St.
Germanus Cur. (St. As.) val. /., patr. Rector,
gap" G. Madren, " fox hill," the old welsh name
GARTHBEIBIO par. (60) Mathrafel hund. N.
Montgomery, llm. SW. of Llanfyllin-179, on R.
Banes. Acres, about 1 600 ; pop. 383 + 4; poor r.
114Z. (Llanfyl. U.); real prop. 1112Z. ; charities
3Z. St. Tydecho Rect. (St. As.) val. 86Z., patr.
GARTHBRENGY par. (42) Merthyr and Penkelly
hunds". Mid. Brecon. 3 m. N. of Brecknock-171, !
on R. Hhondu. Pop. 162 ; poor r. 166Z. (Breckn. I
U.) ; real prop. 588Z. St. David Cur. (St. Dav.) !
val. 79Z., patr. Bishop ; church, ancient. Peytyn
Gwym was a seat of Sir D. Gam.
GARTHBWLCH tnshp. (60) Llanwddyn par. N.
Montgomery. Km. WSW. of Llanfyllin-179, on R.
Bechan. Pop. 82.
GAKTHEINIOG tnshp. (60) Mallwyd par. SE.
Merioneth. 2 m. S. of Dinas-Mowddwy-200. Pop.
GARTHELY chplry. (57) Llan-ddewi-brefi par.
Mid. Cardigan. 6 m. WSW. of Tregaron-204, near
R. Averon. Pop. 315 + 10; poor r. 58Z. (Tregar.
U.) ; real prop. 422Z. Living, a Cur. (St. Dav.)
val. 60Z., patr. Incumbent.
Garthen, or Caerddin ( ) near Wynnstay, SE.
Denbigh, a british camp on OftVs dyke of 4 acres,
where O. Cyfeiliog, prince of Powys, beat the
GARTHERN hmlt. ( ) Asby par. TV. Westmrld.
4m. S. of Appleby-270, has a tumulus near G.
GARTHERYR tnshp. (v4) Llarhaidr-yn-Moch-
nant par. S. Denbigh. 4 in. N. Llanfyllin-179. Pop.
231 ; real prop. 609Z.
GARTHEWIN tnshp. (79) Llanfairtalhaiarn par.
N. Denbigh. 4 m. SSW. of Abergele-214, on R.
Elwy. Pop. 76 ; real prop. 1585Z. G. House, R.
GARTIIGELL tnshp.( ) Llanfyllin par. N. Mont-
gomery, near Llanfyllin-179. Pop. 33.
GARTHGELLIN tnshp. (60) Bettws par. SE.
Montgomery. 4m. N. of Newtown-175. Pop. 89.
GARTHGELYNEN-FAWU, and G. FECHAN, tnshp.
(74) Pennant par. N. Montgomery. 8 m. NW. of
Llanfyllin-179. Pop. 234 and 164 ; real prop.1770/.
GARTHGYFAXEDD tnshp. ( ) Llanrwst par.
W. Denbigh, near Llanrwst-217. Pop. 190.
GARTHGYNAN tnshp. (74) Llanfair-Dyffryn-
Clwyd par. Mid. Denbigh. 3 m. SE. of Ruth'in-195.
Pop. 387; real prop. 1118Z.
GARTHGYNFAWR tnshp. (59) Dolgelly par. S.
Montgomery. 2 m. SW. of Dolgelly-208. Pop. 727 ;
real prop. 3895Z.
GARTH-GYNYD,hmlt. (36) Gelli-gaer par. E.
Glamorgan. 6 m. 'N. of Caerphilly-160, near R.
Ronmey. Pop. 127; real prop. 688Z.
GARTHIAEN tnshp. (74) Llandrillo par. NE.
Merioneth. 5 m. SSW. of Corwen-194. Pop. 187.
GAKTHILLIN tnshp. (60) Kerry par. SE. Mont-
gomery. 3m. WSW. of Newtown-175. Pop. 25.
Garthland, near , Renfrew. Col. Macdowal.
Garthland Castle ( ) at Stoneykirk, S W. Wig-
ton, has an old tower of the Thanes of Galloway,
45 ft. high, dated 1274.
P. GARTHMILL, tnshp. (60) Berriew par. E.
Montgomery. 3m. NW. of Montgomery- 168, on
the Severn. Pop. 148; real prop. 3640Z. G.
GARTHORPE par. (70) Framland hund. NE.
Leicest. 5 m. ENE. of Melton-Mowbray-105.
Acres 1090; pop. 135 + 2; poor r. 25Z. (M. "Mow-
bray U.) ; real prop. 1955Z. ; charities, 10Z. for
school, etc. St. Mary Vic. (Pet.) val. 140Z., patr.
Earl of Dysart.
GARTHORPE tnshp. (86) Luddington par. NW.
Lincoln. 6 m. NE. of Crowle-162, on R. Old Don,
near R.Trent. Acres 1380; pop. 471+2; poor
r. 249Z. (Goole U.) ; real prop. 3005Z.
GARTHUCHA tnshp. (60) Llanfihangel par. N.
Montgomery. 5 m. SW. of Llanfyllin-179. Pop. 60.
Garthwaite ( ) 4 m. N. of Ulverstone, N. Lan-
GARTHYNENVEDD tnshp. (74) Llanelidan par.
Mid. Denbigh. 5 m. S. of Ruthin-195. Pop. 375.
Gartinardrass (24) near Killeshandra, W.
Gartincaber, near Dumblane, 5 1 . Perth. J. Mur-
GARTLY par. in Strathbogie, W. Aberdeen, and
E. Banff. 2 m. S. of Huntley-149. on R. Bogie.
Size 12 m. by G, hilly and cultivated, with good
slate, lime, and trout, etc. in the streams ; pop.
1037, decreasing ; real prop. 4439Z. ; for poor 183/.
Living (presb. Strathb.) val. 191/., patr. Duke
of" Kk'hmond, heritor, through the Gordons, whose
old seat, G. Place, is a ruin.
Gartmore, near , Renfrew. J. C. Bontine, Esq.
P. GARTMORE g. s. par. Port-of-Monteith par.
SW. Perth. 2 m. S. of Aberfoil-53, in a plain on
R. Forth, which up to this is called Avondhu.
Pop. 347, of vil. 253. Living (presb. Dum-
blane) val. 70/., patr. Communicants. G. House,
R. Graham, Esq.
Gartmorn Dam, at Alloa, SW. Clackmannan,
a lake of 130 acres, full of trout, etc. and supply-
ing the coal works.
Gartnee Road (G3), the name of the Via De-
vana in SE. Leicest. between Staunton Wyvil
Gartness, 1 m. W. of Killearn, W. Stirling, on
R. Endrick, was a seat of Napier, of Merchiston.
GARTON par. ( ) Mid. Holderness wap. E. R.
York. 7 m. NE. of Hedon-182, on the N. Sea,
contains Oustwick. Acres 3030, of town with
Grimstone 1830; pop. 226, and 179; poor r. 88/.
(Skirlaugh U.) ; real prop. 2407/. St Michael
Vic. (Yk.) val. 97/., patr. Ld. Chancellor.
GARTON-UPON-THE- WOLDS par. ( ) Dickering
wap. E. R. York. 3m. NW. of Gt. Driffield-196.
Acres 4380 ; pop. 563 + 14 ; poor r. 242/. (Drif-
field U.) ; real prop. 3538/. ; charities, Cooke's
school 6/. St. Michael Vic. (Yk.) val. 125Z., patr.
GARTREE HUNDRED (63-4) SE. Leicest. Ger-
trev of ' Domesdy.' on the Via Devana, contains
Mkt. Harborough cur., and the pars, (and bene-
fices) of Billesdon vie., Caston dan. c., Bowden-
Magna c., Bringhurst ., Burrough, Burton-