Copyright
James A Sharp.

A new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) online

. (page 210 of 293)
Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 210 of 293)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Overy rect., Carl ton-Curl ieu r., Church-Langton r.,
Cranoer., Evington v., Fleckneydon. c., Foxton t>.,
Galby r., Glen-Magna v., Glooston r., Gumley r.,
Hallaton r., Horninghold v., Hough ton-on-the-
Hill r., Husbands Bosworth r., Kibworth-Beau-
champ r., Knossington r., Laughton r., Lubben-
liam ., Medbourne r., King's Norton v., Noze-
ley r., Ouston c., Pickwell r., Saddington r.,
Scraptoft v., Shangton r., Slawston v., Stockers-
ton r., Stonton-Wyville r., Thurnby v., Welham v.,
Wistow ., parts of Knaptoft, Dry-Stoke, Thed-
dingworth v., Telton, and Tugby ; acres 80,740,
pop. 17,990, houses 3885. <& G. DEANERY, archdy.
of Leicester, dioc. of Peterboro', contains the bene-
lices marked in the bund, above with Kilby e.

GARTREE (NORTH) WAPENTAKE (83-4) parts
of Lindsey, Mid. Lincoln, contains the pars, (and
benefices) of Asterby rect., Baumber, Belchford r.,
Cawkwell vie., Donington-on-Bain r., Edling-
ton ., Goulceby ., Hemingby r., Ranby .,
Scamblesby cur., Mkt. Stainlon don. c., Steni-
got r., and Gt. Sturton v. ; acres 22,820, pop.
3570, houses 698. G. (Soimi) WAPEXTAKI:
(70, 83) as above, contains the pars, of Buck-
nail r., Dalderby r., Gantby r., Horsington r.,
Kirkby-on-Bain r., Kirkstead don. c., Langton r.,
Martin, Minting v., Scrivelsby (r. with Dal-
derby), Stixwould ., Tattershall, Thornton,
Wu'ldingworth r., Wispington v., and Woodhall ;
acres 31,230, pop. 4090, houses 799. * G. DEAN-
ERY, archdy. and dioc. of Lincoln, contains the
benefices marked in G. HUND. above, with Con-
ingsby r., Thimbleby r.

GARTSHERRIE q. s. par. in Old Monkland par.
N. Lanark. 2 m. NW. of Airdrie-32, includes
Coatbridge on Glasgw. rail, (where the Caledn.
turns off to Castle Cary and Scot. Central), Coat-
dykes, Gartcloss, Merfystone, Summerlee. Pop.



5906, of vil. 1499, in the coal and iron works.
Living (presb. Hamilton) val. /., patr. Sub-
scribers.

Gartshore, at Kirkintilloch, E. Dumlrtn., seat
of Gartshore of that ilk.

GARTWHINEAN EASTER and WESTER vils.
Fossaway par. SE. Perth. 7 m. NE. of Clack-
manning-32. Pop. 145.

Gartylouqh (24, 30) Tullyhunco bar. near Ar-
dagh, W. Cavan.

Gandingay, or Linga, Isld. between Barra and
Uist, Western Islds. 2 m. W. of Eriskay.

P. M. GARVAGH vil. (18) Errigal par. Cole-
raine bar. E. Londondy. 23 m. E. of Londonderry,
131 from Dublin, a petty sess. station, sacked by
O'Xial 1641, and given to the Cannings of
G. House (of whom was the statesman), who
take hence title of baron. Pop. 851, in a good
trade ; houses 152, with church, 3 chapels, court-
house, dispensary. Mkt. D. Frid. Fairs, 3rd
Frid. every month.

GARVAGHY par. (27-8, 33-4) Upper and Lower
Iveagh. bars. W. Down, 4 m. S. of Dromore-84,
on R. Langan. Acres 12,235, with bog and stone ;
pop. 5063 + 3. Living, a Vic. (Dn. C. D.) val.
293/., patr. Bishop. Carniew, R. Macredy, Esq.

Garvald River, Eskdalemuir par. N. Dum-
fries., a small branch of R. White Esk, 6 m. long.

GARVALD, or GARRELL, an old par. joined to
KIRKMICHAEL, Mid. Dumfries.

P. GARVALD par. 5 m. SE. of Haddington
-17, 5. Hadngtn. on Lammermuir, includes Baro
and ruins at Nunraw and Whitecastle. Size 8 m.
by 4, sheepwalks; pop. 862, decreasing, of
vil. 257; real prop. 776 11. ; for poor 3 16/. Living
(presb. Hadngtn.) val. 189/., patr. Crown and
Marq. of Tweeddale of Yester. Hopes, W. Hay,
Esq. There are remains of a circular fort 1500 ft.
round, one at Carfrae, and four others.

P. Garve, 8 m. W. of Dingwall, S. Ross, near
G. Loch and G. River, which runs 23 m. SE.
through Strathgarve to R. Conan below Contin.

Garveilan, one of the Shiant islds. Western
Islds., off L. Seaforth, E. side of Lewis, is a hill
of basalt 530 ft. with a range of columnar cliffs
3000 ft. long, like Staffa. |^ G. Islds. ( ) 3 m.
E. of Malin Head, NE. Donegal, a cluster of
rocks | m. long.

GARVESTONE par. (66) Mitford hund. Mid.
Norfolk, 3 m. N. of Hingham-99, on E. Anglian
rail. Acres 1100; pop. 386+5; poor r. 2017.
(Mitfd. U.) ; real prop. 1890/. ; charities 43/. St.
Margaret Rect. (Norw.) val. 230t, patr. Rev. F.
E. J. Valpy, rector.

Garviemore Inn, 14 m. SE. of Fort Augustus,
S. Inverness, on the Perth road, under Corryar-
rick, where Chas. Stuart was encamped 1745,
when Cope retreated before him.

Garvock, near , Perth. R. Graeme, Esq.

GARVOCK par. 5 m. W. of Bervie-88, S. Kin-
cardine, near the Grampians, was a hunting
seat of the Keiths. Size 8 m. by 4, or 8000 acres,
hilly ; pop. 446, decreasing ; real prop. 3183/. ; for
poor 36/. Living (presb. Fordoun) val. 17#/.,
patr. Crown. Commiston (?) Scott, Esq. Fair,
Aug. cattle. 1J3" Garvock, near Dunfermlinc,
SW. Fife. A. Well wood, Esq.

GAR\VAY par. (43) Jx>wer Wormelow hund. &
Hereford. 7 m. NW. of Monmouth-130, on R.Mon-
now. Acres 3340 ; pop. 574 + 6 ; poor r. 227/.
(Mpnmo' U.) ; real prop. 2942/. ; charities 58/., of
which Scudamore's for apprentices and widows
5-1/. Living, a Cur. (Hcref.) val. 81/., patr. W. R.
Rankins, Esq. ; church, has a true saracenic arch
in the chancel, b. by K. Templars (the only in-
stance in Engld. ?). G. Court, $ m. SE.



752



GAR



GARWICK hmlt. (70) Heckington par. S. Lin-
coln. 5 m. ESE. of Sleaford-115. Pop. 31.

Cask, at Turreff, N. Aberdeen. Robinson,
Esq. ( ?), a burgh of barony, -which belonged to the
Turins (1375), Burnets, Fortieses, Fordyces, etc.
^g GASK, or FIXDOGASK, par. 6 m. WSW.
of Perth-40, S. Perth, on R. Earne, and great
roman way to Scone, etc. Size 3 m. by 3, fertile,
with stone, slate, marl, salmon, etc. ; pop. 436 + 1 ;
real prop. 33177. ; for poor 701. Living (presb.
Aughterarder) val. loo/., patr. Crown. Remains
are seen of two camps, and the causeway 20 ft.
broad.

Gaskere Isld. 3 m. SW. of Scarpa, Western
Islds. SW. side of Lewis, swarms with seafowl.

Gaskinane Sound (153) between Cape Clear
and Sherkin islds. S W. Cork, has 12 to 26 fath.
water, with two rocks in the midst.

GASPER, or BROOK, tythg. (19) Stourton par.
E. Somerset. 5 m. NE. of Wincanton-109.

Gasson House ( ) \ m. SW. of Godstone, E.
Surrey, T. Poynder, Esq.

GASSTOWN vil. ( ) St. Michael's par. SW.
Dumfries, near Dumfries-73. Pop. 162.

Gastard (14) 2 m. SE. of Corsham, NW. Wilts.

GASTHORPE par. (50) Guiltcross hund. S. Nor-
folk, 4 m. SSW. of E. Harling-89, on R. Waveney.
Acres 1110; pop. Ill ; poor r. 111. (Guiltcr. U.) ;
real prop. 5987. Living, a Beet, with Riddles-
worth ; no church.

GATACRE tnshp. (61) Claverley par. SE. Salop,
5 m. ESE. of Bridgnorth-139, seat of Col. Gatacre,
whose family have held it from Edw. the Con-
fessor. Pop. 125.

Gatcombe (22) 2 m. NE. of Totness, S. Devon.
J. Gould, Esq. |^ Gatcombe (35) 4 m. NNW.
of Berkeley-114, W. Gloucest. on the Severn.
G. Park, D. Ricardo, Esq., son of the politi-
cal economist igP GATCOMBE par. (10) W.
Medina lib. I. of Wight, S. Hants. 3 m. S. of
Newport-82. Acres 1310 ; pop. 306 + 4 ; poor r.
I. (I. of W. Incorp.) ; real prop. 26447. ; chari-
ties 91. to school. St. Ol&veRect. (Win.) val.
6467,, patr. University of Oxon. ; church, has
effigies of a knight. G. House, Col. Campbell,
b. by the Worsleys 1750, with fine grounds.
giP GATCOMBE tythg. Shorwell par. near the
above. |JSP Gatcombe (11) 3m. NE. of Ports-
mouth, S. Hants. Adml. Sir L. Curtis, Bt.

Gate House (5) 8 m. N. of Hailsham, Mid. Sus-
sex. ^P G. Street (8) 3 m. SE. of Godahning,
S W. Surrey.

Gateacre (80) 6m. ESE. of Liverpool, SW.
Lancash. J. Rodick, Esq.

GATEFORD tnshp. (82) Worksop par. NW.
Notts., 2 in. NNW. of Worksop-146, near Chester-
field canal. Pop. 130. G. Hall, H. Machin, Esq. ;
G. Villa, .

GATEFORTH tnshp. (87) Brayton par. W. R.
York. 4 m. SW. of Selby-181, has at G. Common
a meet for the Bramham Moor hunt, near the
canal. Acres 1410 ; pop. 258 + 3 ; poor r. 527.
(Selby U.) ; real prop. 17351. Living, a Cur.
(Yk.) val. 1057., patr. H. Osbaldeston, Esq. of G.
Hall.

P. M. GATEHOUSE-OF-FLEET vil. Anworth
and Girthon pars. 5. Kirkcudbt. 6 m. NW. of
Kirkcudbright, 107 from Edinbro', in a pleasant
spot at the bridge on R. Fleet, is a sub-port
to Dumfries, small debt court, and burgh of
barony, under the Murrays (who found, it about
1760), and governed by a provost, 2 bailies, 4
council. Pop. 1832, in the cotton works and coast-
ing trade ; houses 415, with church, chapel, bank,
news-room, tannery, soap-works, etc. Mkt. D.
Sat. Fairs, 1st Mon. June o. s. ; 1st Frid. Nov.



GAT

and 6 weeks following, cattle. Kirk fast, Th. before
3rd Sun. June.

GATELY par. (68) Launditch hund. N. Norfolk,
4 m. SE. of Fakenham-109, on a branch o'f R.
Wensum. Acres 1580; pop. 129; poor r. 1557.
(Mitford U.) ; real prop. 19857. ; charities 21. St.
Helen Vic. with Brisley. G. Hall, .

GATENBY tnshp. ( ) Burneston par. N. R.
York. 3 m. E. of Bedale-223, near Leeming Lane.
Acres 1070 ; pop. 69 ; poor r. 247. (Bedale U.) ;
real prop. 10387.

GATERLEY, HIGH and Low, limits. ( ) Moul-
ton tnshp. N. R. York. 4 m. ENE. of Richmond
-233.

GATESEND. See TATTERSETT, Norfolk.

Gatesgarth ( ) 7 m. SW. of Keswick, W. Cum-
brld. at the head of Buttermere, a fine wild spot
under Honistar crag.

* P. GATESHEAD and G.-FELL pars. E. Chester
ward, NE. Durham, a stat. on Yk. and Berwick
rail., 303 m. from London, or 274 by road, and
13 m. N. of Durham, a polling and petty sess.
town, under the cliffs of R. Tyne, opposite New-
castle, is the roman Gabrosentum, on the way
fromChester-le-Street, Gaetshefed of the Saxons,
or Copra Caput of Bede, and belongs to the
Bishops of Durham ; returns one member to
part, by the Reform bill, the bounds including
the par. with part of Heworth (no. of electors 657,
and 10/. houses 1288) ; and is a boro' by pre-
scription first chartered by Bp. Pudsey, divided
under the new act into 3 wards, governed by a
mayor, 6 aid., 18 council., with the style of " bo-
roughholders and freemen of boro' of G.," and
revenue of 1678Z. Acres 3320, with coal, stone ;
pop. 19,505 + 433, in the collieries, iron, glass, and
whiting works, etc., and grindstone quarries at
G. Fell ; houses 3297, chiefly in a long street, with
8 chapels, news-room, bridge, gas and water works,
Pickering's or the Anchorage free school (12/.),
Powel's and Bowman's almshouses, 3 lunatic asy-
lums, Union p. house, and St. Edmund's hosp.
(5267.) for 13 brethren, b. 1247 (on site of a
monastery found. 653) by Bp. Farnham, of
which the old church remains, with part of a
house ; assd. taxes 20367. ; poor r. 36537. on 38,7857. ;
real prop. 78,9947., of which 27,5157. on rail, and
90317. on mines; charities 6017. St. Mary Rect.
(Dur.) val. with Trinity and St. Edmund Curs.
6367., church, cruciform, with a curious mon.
to Trollop the architect; G. FELL Rect. 1721.,
patr. of both, Bishop. It publishes the ' G. Ob-
server ' newspaper. Roman coins have been found,
and a way went to Stanley. At G. Fell the Con-
queror (1068) defeated Edgar Atheling. Bewick
the engraver died 1825, and Defoe, they say, wrote
' Robinson Crusoe,' here. G. Park, C. Ellison, Esq.,
of Hepburn ; Saltwell.Pk., . GatesJi. P. L. Union,
contains the pars. etc. of Gateshead, Heworth,
Ryton, Whickham, Winlaton, with Chopwell,
Crawcrook, Ryton- Woodside, Stella ; acres 22,891,
pop. 38,747, cases relieved (yr. 1846-7) 2423 (out-
door 2173), expend. 82387,, prop, rated 86,3147.
Sup. Registry, comprises the same up to Winla-
ton ; pop. 38,747 + 773; births 1412 (700 being
female, 97 illegit.), deaths 869, marriages 291,
of which 217 persons signed with marks: 198
deaths from cholera in 1849. The New County
Court district corresponds with the Registry.
Fairs, 2nd Mon. Apr. 1st Mon. Nov. for hiring.

P. GATESIUE vil. Beith par. N. Ayr. 9 m. N.
of Irvine-69. Pop. 270. i^ GATESIDE vil. near
Wamphray-58, N. Dumfries, in that par. on R.
Annan.

P. GATESIDE vil. 1J m. W. of Strathmiglo, W.
Fife, under W Lomond Hill. fg" GATESIDE



GAT



GAY



753



vil. Kirkgunzeon par. E. Kirkcudbt. 7 m. E. of
Castle-Douglas-92. Pop. 23. Igj" GATESIDE vil.
Neilston par. E. Renfrew, near Neilston-53. Pop.
673. gir GATESIDE vil. near Kilsyth-36, S.
Stirling, in tliat par. giP GATESIDE hmlt. ( )
Preston Patrick tnshp. S. Westmrld. near Burton-
in-Kendal.

GATEWOOD hmlt. (87) Cantley par. W. R.
York. 3 m. ESE. of Doncaster-162. |gT GATE-
WOOD hmlt. (87) Hatfield tnshp. W. R. York
3 in. SW. of Thorne-166.

GATHAMPTON (13) 6 m. S. of Wallingford-46,
SE. Oxford, on the Thames.

Gathom Hall ( ) 2 m. NNE. of Orton, N.

Gatley Park (55) 5 m. SW. of Ludlow, N. Here-
ford, near G. Long Coppice.

GATTIN tnshp. (61) Ratlinghope par. W. Salop,
5 m. NW. of Church-Stretton-158, is joined to
STRITT. G. Lodge, 1 m. N.

GATTON par. (8) Second Reigate bund. E.
Surrey, 2 m. NE. of Reigate-21, on Brighton rail.,
a meet for the Surrey hounds, at the head of R.
Mole, was perhaps a roman station, and a boro'
returning 2 members from 1451, till disfranchised
by the Reform act. Acres 1140, with chalk and
sandstone, of which Hampton Court, etc. was
built ; pop. 219 + 7 ; poor r. 437. (Reigate U.) ; real
prop. 19737. Living, a Rect. (Win.) val. 1487., patr.
Lord Monson. G. Park, Countess of Warwick,
had a castle belonging to the Tymperleys, Q. Anne
of Cleves, Colebrookes, and others. Upper G., G.
Fuller, Esq. At Battle Bridge Ethelwolf beat the
Danes about 850. Roman coins have been found.

P. GATTONSIDE vil. near Melrose-35, N. Rox-
burgh, in that par., on R. Tweed, is noted for its
fruit gardens and orchards. Pop. 252.

Gauir River, 5 m. long, NW. Perth, joins L.
Lydoch to L. Rannoch.

GAULBY. See GALBY, Lincolnshire.

GAULSKILL par. (43) Ida bar. S. Kilkenny, 3 m.
N. of Waterford-96, has the De Burghs' castle.
Acres 1303 ; pop. 350 + 3. Living, a Rect. with
Dunkitt.

GAULTIERE BARONY (17-8, etc.) E.Waterford,
contains the pars, of Ballygunner, Ballynakill,
Corbally, Crooke, Faithlegg, Kilbarry, Kilcar-
rngh, Kilcop, Killea, Kill St. Lawrence, Kill St.
Nicholas, Killure, Kilmacleague, Kilmacomb,
Monamintra, Rathmoylan, Rossduff, and parts of
Drumcannon, Kilculliheen, St. John's without,
and St. Stephen's without ; acres 32,994, pop.
13,615, houses 2200. igT G. Cottage (18) Earl
of Huntingdon, near Kilcop, on the barb.

Gaulty View ( ) near Golden, S. Tipperary.

.Gaun House (21) 2 m. NW. of Enniskillen,
Mid. Fermanagh, J. Denham, Esq.

GAUNTLET hmlt. (70) Bicker par. SE. Lincoln.
l,m. SW. of Swineshead-108, at the bridge on
Hammond Beck. Pop. 72.

Gaunfs House (15) 3 m. NNE. of Wimborne
Minster, E. Dorset. Sir R. P. Glynn, Bt. ^p G.
House (45) an old moated building, near Stan-
lake, W. Oxford, now a farm.

GAUNT'S-EARTIICOTE tythg. (35) Almonds -
bury par. S W. Gloucest. 4 m. SSW. of Thornbury
-124. Pop. 55 ; real prop. 15047.

GAUTBY par. (83) S. Gartree wap. E. Lincoln.
5 m. WNVV. of Horncastle-134. Acres 2010;
pop. 99 ; poor r. 567. (Horncas. U.) ; real prop.
9077. All Saints Rect. (Line.) val. 777., patr. Ld.
Chancellor. G. House, R. Vyner, Esq.

Gavel Fell. See Gable Fell, Cumbrld.

Gavin laid. W. coast of Argyll. (?)

P. GAVINTON vil. Langton par. Mid. Berwick.
2 m. W. of Dunse-44, in a pretty spot. Pop. 206.



GAWBER hmlt. (88) Barugh tnshp. W. R. York.
2 m. NW. of Barn esley- 172. Living, a Cur.
(Rip.) val. 7., patr. Vicar of Darton.

GAWCOTT chplry. (45) Buckingham par. NW.
Bucks. 1 m. SSW. of Buckingham-55. Acres
550 ; pop. 665 + 10 ; real prop. 18667. ; charities
697., of which Adkins's almsh. etc. 3 11. St. Ca-
therine Cur. (Oxon.) val. 148/., patr. Trustees.

Gawdy Hall (50) 1 m. N. of Harleston, SE.
Norfolk, was the seat of the Holmeses through
the Gawdys and Wogans.

GAWSWORTH par. (81) Macclesfield hund. E.
Cheshire, 3 m. SW. of Macclesfield-167, near Gd.
Trunk canal, has some old timbered houses.
Acres 5480, part common ; pop. 806 ; poor r. 2847.
(Macclesf. U.) ; real prop. 56727. ; charities 367.,
of which 267. for school, etc. St. James Rect.
(Ches.) val. 7347., patr. Earl of Harrington of G.
Hall, near which S. Johnson, author of ' Hurlo-
thrumbo," was buried ; church, has tombs of the
Fittons.

GAWTHORP vil. (88) Lepton tnshp. W. R. York.
near Huddersfield-189, was the birthplace of Gas-
coigne (d. 1413), the judge who committed Prince
Henry to prison. i$ip GAWTHORPE tnshp. (87)
Dewsbury par. W. R. York. 1 m. E. of Dewsbury
-187, is joined to OSSETT. G. Hall, J. Heaton, Esq.

Gawthorp Hall ( ) 1 m. from Burnley, E.
Lancash. an old castle seat of the Shuttleworths
from Rich. II.

Gay House Farm (8) 6 m. SE. of Reigate, SE.
Surrey.

Gaybrook (26) 3 m. W. of Rocbfortbridge, SE.
Westmeath, R. Smith, Esq.

GAYDON par. (53) Kington hund. S. Warwick.
2 m. NE. of Kington-83, near G, Hill, a meet for
the Warwksh. hounds. Acres 1140 ; pop. 276 + 6 ;
poor r. 761. (Southam U.) ; real prop. 19887. St.
Giles Cur. with Bishop's Itchington.

GAYHURST, or GOTHURST, par. (46) Newport
hund. N. Bucks. 2 m. NW. of Newport-Pagnell
-50, on R. Ouse, containing Gorefields, belonged
to Bp. Odo, the Nevylls, Mulshos, Digbys, and
Wrights. Acres 840; pop. 116; poor r. 797. (N.
Pagnell U.) ; real prop. 1637t St. Peter Rect.
(Oxon.) val. with Stoke Goldington 2977., patr.
Misses Windham. G. House, Lord Carrington,
has an old elizabethan front, with portraits of Sir
Everard and Sir Kenelm Digby, etc.

GAYLES tnshp. ( ) Kirkby-Ravensworth par.
N. R. York. 5 m. NW. of Richmond-233. Acres
1840 ; pop. 186 ; poor r. 637. (Richm. U.) ; real
prop. 22377.

GAYSTEAD par. ( ) NW. Tindale ward, W.
Northmbrld. 5 m. WNW. of Bellingham-294, on
R. Tyne, contains Churdon and Smalesmouth.
Acres 25,980; pop. 219; poor r. I. (Bellingh.
U.) ; real prop. 27187. Living, a Rect. (Dur.)
val. 150/., patr. Greenwich Hosp.

GAYTON tnshp. (79) Heswall par. N W.Cheshire,
2 m. NNW. of Gt. Neston-194, at the feny, on R.
Dee. Acres 840 ; pop. 149 + 2 ; poor r. 377. (Win-all
U.) ; real prop. 9927. G. Hall, W. Glegg, Esq.
through the Baskervilles. ijif Gayton (43) 2 m.
NE. of Ross, SE. Hereford.

P. GAYTON par. (65) Freebridge-Lvnn hund.
W. Norfolk, 6 m. E. of Lynn-96, has Freebridge-
L. Union poor ho. Acres 2990 ; pop. 789 + 7 ;
poor r. 3107. (F. Lynn U.) ; real prop. 42657.;
charities, fuel allotment, etc. 667., including 37. for
scholarship at Trin. Coll. Camb. St. Nicholas Vic.
TNorw.) val. 2927., patr. Bishop. G. Place, St.
Andrew St. John, Esq. Qj^T GAYTON par. (53)
Towcester hund. <S W. Northmptn. 4 m. NN T K. of
Towcester-60, near N. West. rail, and Gd. Junct.
canal, contains Banbury Lane. Acres 1580 ; pop

3C



754



GAY



GEL



428 ; poor r. 188Z. (Towcest, U.) ; real prop. 3605Z. ;
charities, poor and church lands 60Z. besides 8
almshouses. St. Mary Reel. (Pet.) val. 569Z., pair.
Sidney Sus. Coll. Camb. giP GAYTON par. (72)
S. Pirehill hund. Mid. Stafford. 5 m. NE. of
Stafford- 141, near R. Trent, and Gd. Trunk canal.
Acres 1270; pop. 291 ; poor r. 11 51. (Staff. U.) ;
real prop. 2809Z. ; charities 5Z. St. J. Baptist Cur.
(Lich.) val. 46Z., patr. Mrs. Mould.

GAYTON-LE- MARSH par. (84) Colceworth hund.
E. Lincoln. 6 m. SE. of Louth-143. Acres 2250 ;
pop. 312 + 1 ; poor r. 92Z. (Louth U.) ; real prop.
2976Z. ; charities, poor and church lands 45Z. St.
George Rect. ( Line.) val. 450Z., patr. Ld.Chancellor.
l^P G.-LE-WOLD par. (83) Louth Eske hund. NE.
Lincoln. 6 m. WSVV. of Louth-143, on R. Bain, con-
tains Grimblethorpe. Acres 1730 ; pop. 137 + 1 ;
poor r. 59Z. (Louth U.); real prop. 2365Z. St.
Peter Rect. (Line.) val. 166Z., patr. Ld. Chancellor.
(gP G.-THORPE par. (65) Freebridge Lvnn
hund. W. Norfolk, 8 m. ESE. of Lynn-96. Acres
2100; pop. 179+1; poor r. 98Z. (F. Lynn U.) ;
real prop. 1252Z. St. Mary Rect. with E. Walton.

GAYWOOD par. (65) Freebridge Lynn hund.
NW. Norfolk, 1 m. E. of Lynn-96, on G. River,
(which supplies Lynn with water), near E. Anglian
rail., had a palace b. in John's time, by Bp. Grey.
Acres 2380 ; pop. 1064 + 14 ; poor r. 372Z. (F. Lynn
U.) ; real prop. 6717Z. ; charities 24Z. St. Faith
Rect. (Norw.) val. 633Z. patr. R. Bagge, Esq.

Gazabo Hill (6) 3 m. NE. of Castlecomer, N.
Kilkenny, 525 ft. high.

P. GAZELEY par. (51) Risbridge hund. W. Suf-
folk, 5 m. E. of Newmarket-61, contains Higham
Green, and Needham Street. Acres 5470 ; pop.
860 + 13 ; poor r. 611Z. (Newmkt. U.) ; real prop.
3764Z. ; charities 1Z. All Saints Vic. (Ely) val.
with Kentford 415Z., patr. Trin. Hall, Camb.

GEAUSTONES hmlt. ( ) Ingleton tnshp. W. R.
York. 10 m. NW. of Settle-235.

GEASHILL BARONY (24-6, etc.) Mid. King's Co.
contains part of the pars, of Ballykean, and
Geashill ; acres 30,874, an. val. 12,879Z., pop. 8261,
houses 1467.

P. GEASHILL par. (18-9, etc.) in the above
and Upper Philipstown bars, a police station,
4 m. S. of Philipstown, 55 from Dublin, con-
taining Ballinagar and Killeigh, has O'Dempsey's
castle, and came through the Fitzgeralds to the
Digbys. Acres 55,057, with bog, lime, stone;
pop. 10,077, of vil. 327, decreasing. Living, a
Rect. (Du. G. K.) val. 1178Z., patr. Earl of Digby,
who takes from it title of baron. Fairs, 1 May,
6 Oct. 26 Dec., pigs, etc.

GEDDES par. joined to AXJLDEARN, Nairn. G.
House, G. Mackintosh, Esq.

GEDDING par. (50) Thedwestry hund. Mid.
Suffolk, 6 m. W. of Stowmarket-76. Acres 580 ;
pop. 173 ; poor r. 40Z. (Stow. U.) ; real prop. 862Z.
Living, a Rect. (Ely) val. 100Z., patr. .

P. g|. GEDDINGTON par. (64) Corby hund. N.
Northmptn. 3m. NE. of Kettering-74, on a branch
of R. Nen, contains Q. Eleanor's cross of 3 stories
in good condition, on a pedestal of 8 steps
and at Castle Close had a royal palace, where
1188 Rich. II. held a parl. for granting money
towards the crusades. Acres 2140 ; pop. 833 + 6 ;
poor r. 380Z. (Ketter. U.) ; real prop. 3539Z. ;
charities 125Z. St. M. Magdalen Vic. (Pet.) val.
1?5Z., patr. Duke of Buccleugh ; church, has brass
of T. Maydwell. G. Hall, Hon. E. Pery.

Geddy Hall (48) 11 m. SE. of Colchester, E.
Essex.

GEDGRAVE ext. par. hmlt. (48) Oxford par.
SE. Suffolk, 1 m. SW. of Oxford-90, on the
Haven. Pop 14.



GKDLDJG par. (71) S. Thurgaton wap. S. Notl .
3 m. NE. of Nottingham-124, near R. Trent, con-
tains Carlton and Stoke Bardolph. Acres 4490 ;
pop. 2642 + 30, stocking makers ; poor r. 88Z.
(Basfd. U.) ; real prop. 3565Z. ; charities 32Z. All
Saints Rect. and Vic. (Line.) val. 1075Z., patr.
Earl of Chesterfield. G. Hall, W. Elliott, Esq.

Gedling of the Saxons, is GILLING, York.

P. GEDNEY par. (69) Elloe wap. SE. Lincoln.
3 m. ESE. of Holbeach-105, containing G. Hill
as below, was a seat of the abbots of Crowland.
Acres 12,110 ; pop. 2277 + 41 ; poor r. 771Z. (Holb.
U.); real prop. 20,80 1Z. ; charities 79Z. St. M.
Magdalen Vic. (Line.) val. 667Z. and a Sin. Rect.
7831., patr. Crown ; church, b. by the abbots, has
53 windows, a curious copper lock, a saxon in-
scription, and effigies of a Welby. Ijip G. HILL
chplry. in the above par. Acres 1670, fenny ; pop.
480 + 11; poor r. 145Z. ; real prop. 5088Z. ; chari-
ties 353Z. Holy Trinity Cur. (Line.) val. 102Z.,
patr. Feoffees. Coins of Antonine have been
found here, and others in the neighbourhood.
G. Dyke, 1 m. N.

GEE CROSS. See HYDE, Cheshire.

Geer Copp (43) near Michaelchurch,S r . Hereford.
a square camp on a hill, opposite Caradoc camp.

Geesala Head ( ) in Erris, N. Mayo, between
Tulloghan and Blacksod Bays.

GEESTON hmlt. (64) Ketton par. E. Rutland.
3 m. SW. of Stamford-89, between Rs. Chater
and Welland.

Gegnesburh of the Saxons, is GAINSBOROUGH,
Lincoln.

GEILSTON BRIDGE hmlt. Cardross par. S. Dum-
brtn. 4 m. NW. of Dumbarton-58. Pop. 133.

GELDESTON par. (66) Clavering hund. SE.
Norfolk, 5 m. SSE. of Loddon-112, near R. Wave-
ney. Acres 940 ; pop. 386 +4 ; poor r. 78Z. (Loddon
U.) ; real prop. 2425Z. ; charities 7Z. St. Michael
Rect. (Norw.) val. 195Z., patr. Ld. Chancellor. G.
House, J. Kerridge, Esq. (?) who has a gold
roman bracelet found here.

GELLI hmlt. (42) Vainor par. S. Brecon. 4 m.
NW. of Merthvr-Tydfil-171. Pop. 268. ' Gelli,'
hazel. gip GELLI hmlt. (57) Llanarth par.
S W. Cardigan. 4 m. SSW. of Aberaeron-192
Pop. 251.

Gellibwch (37) 3 m. SW. of Neath, W. Glamrgn.

GELLI-DEG hmlt. (36) Merthyr-Tydfil pur.NE.
Glamorgan, near Merthyr-Tydfil-171, on the Great
Taf. P'op. 4798, in the" collieries, etc. ; real prop.
9584Z. of which 1000Z. on mines.

Gellideg Colliery (36) 8 m. SW. of Pont-y-pool,
W. Monmouth.

Gelliffynn-dig (36) 6 m. WNW. of Newport,
SIV. Monmouth..

GELLI-GAER par. (36) Caerphilly hund. E. Gla-
morgan. 8 m. SE. of Merthyr-Tydfil-171, near Rs.
Rumney and Clydach, contains Brithdir, Cefn,
Garth-gynyd, Hengoed, Ysgwyddgwn. Acres
about 30,000, with waste, coal, slate, iron ; pop.
3215 + 139, miners ; poor r. 802Z. (M. Tydfil U.) ;
real prop. Z. ; charities Lewis's for school, etc.



Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 210 of 293)