Copyright
James A Sharp.

A new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) online

. (page 212 of 293)
Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 212 of 293)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the antiquary (1690-1754) and Jortin the divine
(1698-1770) were natives; Franklin lived in
Duke St. (near the rom. cath. chapel) while
working at Watts's printing-office, close to Chris-
tian Knowl. society's house ; Brunei invented his
block machinery in Bedford St. ; and old clothes
are still sold, as in Gay's time, in Monmo' (now
Dudley) St., near the Seven Dials so called
from the pillar with dials on it which stood,
where seven streets meet, till 1773. St. Giles
P. L. Union, contains the par. as above and ftt.
George Bloomsbury ; expend. 16,465Z., prop, rated
232,005Z. Sup. Registry comprises the same ; pop.
54,292 + 139 ; births 1506 (766 being females, 88
illegit.), deaths 1231, marriages 605, of which
223 persons signed with marks. It belongs to
Bloomsbury New County Court district.

GILES, ST., IN-THE- HEATH par. (25) Black
Torrington hund. W. Devon. 8 m. S. of IIols-
worthy-214, near R. Tamar and Bude canal. Acres
3280; pop. 375 + 2; poor r. 103Z. (Holsw. U.);
real prop. 1539Z. ; charities 1Z, Living, a Cur.
(Exet.) val. 96Z., patr. Lady Suffield and others.
|J3~ GILES, ST., IN-THE- WOOD, par. (26) Frem-
ington hund. NW. Devon. 3m. E. of Torrington
-194. Acres 3330; pop. 915 + 2; poor r. 343Z.
(Torring. U.) ; real prop. 3877Z. ; charities 16Z.,
of which 5Z. to Ld. Rolle's almsh. Living, a Cur.
(Exet.) val. 95Z., patr. Ld. Rolle's heirs; church,
has tomb of Risdon the antiquary. Stevenstone,
Lord Rolle, was taken by Fairfax, gap" Giles, St.,
Park (15) 2 m. SW. of Cranborne, NE. Dorset.

Gilesquay Harbour (8) in Dundalk harbour,
N. Louth.

GILESTON par. (20) Cowbridge hund. SE. Gla-
morgan. 5 m. S. of Cowbridge- 173, on Bristol
Channel, near Breaksea Point. Acres 341 ; pop.
43 ; poor r. 21Z. (Bridgend U.) ; real prop. 634Z.
St. Giles Rect. (Llan.) val. 80Z., patr. Rev. J. Ed-
wardes, rector, who has the manor.

P. M. GILFORD vil. (26) Tnllylish par. Lower
Iveagh bar. NW. Down, 4 m. NW. of Banbridge,
82 from Dublin, a police and petty sess. station
on R. Bann, near Newry canal, gives title of
baron to Earl Clanwilliam of GUI Hall. Pop. 643
+ 11, in the linen manufact. ; houses 104. G.
Castle, Sir W. G. Johnson, Bt. Mkt. D. . Fairs,
21 June and Nov.

Gilforth Spout ( ) in Long Sleddale, about 4 m.
SW. of Shap, Mid. Westmrld., a fall of 300 ft.
over rugged and broken mountains.

Gilgarron House ( ) 4m. NE. of Whitehaven,
SE. Cumbrld.

Gilkerscleugh House, at Crawford-John, S. La-
nark, near Nethertonhill camp, has traces of lead,
stone, coal, etc.

Gilkicker Point (11) 1 m. S. of Gosport, S.
Hants, opposite Spithead.

GILL tnshp. ( ) Grevstoke par. Mid. Cumbrld.
5 m. WSW. of Penrith-283, is joined to MOTHER-
BY. giT GILL. See BARNOLDSWICK, W. R. York.

Gill Foot ( ) near Egremont, W. Cumbrld.
T. Hartley, Esq. (?) g G. Hall (20) 2 m. W.
of Dromore, NW. Down, on R. Laggan, Earl
Clanwilliam. ^ G. Head ( ) 4 m. SE. of
Hawkshead, N. Lancash. on Windermere. Igp
G. Lough (15, etc.) 2 m. E. of Sligo, 2V. Sligo.

Gill's Green (5) 2m. SW. of Cranbrook, S.Kent,
T. Durrant, Esq.

GILLAMOOU tnshp. ( ) Kirkby-Moorside par.
N. R. York. 5 m. NE. of Helmsley-222, is a meet



GIL

for the Sinnington hounds. Acres 1670; pop.
214 + 4 ; poor r. 28/. (Helms. U.) ; real prop. 708/.

GILLBECK hmlt. ( ) Gt. Timble tnshp. W.R.
York. 5 m. NNW. of Otley-205.

Gillercoombe ( ) in Borrowdale, S. Ciimbrld.
contains the Wad, or black lead mine, belonging
to II. Bankes, Esq., M.P.

Gillibrand Hall (89) 1 m. W. of Chorley, S.
Lancasli. G. Fazakerley, Esq.

Gillies Hill, 2 m. SW. of Stirling, N. Stirling.
where the Scotch were stationed at Bannockburn
1314.

GILLIGATE ward ( ) Hexham par. S. North-
mbrld. near Hexham-279.

Gillin (31) 5 m. SSW. of Falmouth, S W. Corn-
wall.

GILLING (EAST) WAPENTAKE ( ) N. R. York.
contains the pars, of Ainderby Steeple vie., Bar-
ton cur., Cleasby c., East Cowton v., Croft rect.,
Danby-Wiske r., Great Langton r., Middleton-
Tyasc., and parts of Catterick, Easby v., Gilling v.,
Kirby-Wiske r., Gt. Manfield v., and Gt. Smea-
ton r. ; acres 49,910, pop. 7747, houses 1645. G.
(\YK.ST) WAPENTAKE, contains the boro' of
Richmond r., the towns of Muker, Reeth, the
pars, of Ackengarth-Dale c., Barningham r.,
Bowes c., Brignal v., Forcett c., Hatton Magna
c., Kirkby-Ravensworth c., Merrick c., Marske
r., Melsonby r., Rokeby r., Romald-Kirk r., St.
John Standvrtck v., Startforth v., Wycliffe r., and
parts of Easbv, Gilling, Griuton, Manfield ; acres
198,640, pop. 16,808, houses 3548, exclusive of
Richmond. See RICHMOND DEANERY.

P. GILLING par. in the above waps. 3 m. NNE.
of Richmond-233, contains N. and S. Cowton,
Eryholme, Forcett and Hutton- Magna curs. Acres
8790, of town (with Hartforth and Sedbury)
4440, with good building-stone; pop. 1618, and
981 ; poor r. 235/. (Richm. U.) ; real prop. 7300/. ;
charities 1711., of which 125/. to Hartforth school.
St. Agatha Vic. (Rip.) vaL 1029/., patr. J. T.
Wharton, Esq.

P. GILLING, EAST, par. ( ) Ryedale wap.
N. R. York. 5 m. S. of Helmsley-222, containing
Cawton and Gritnstone, had a castle of the earls
of Richmond. Acres 4330, of 2500 ; pop. 386,
and 232 ; poor r. 66/. (Helms. U.) ; real prop.
2397Z. ; charities 321., of which 14/. for school.
Holy Cross Rect. (Yk.) val. 632/., patr. Trin. Coll.
Camb. ; church, has tombs of the Wilkinsons, and
Fairfaxes of G. Castle, now C. Fairfax, Esq.

GUlinga of the Saxons, is GILLINGHAM, Kent.

GILLINGHAM LIBERTY (15, 18) W. Shaston
divis. N. Dorset, contains the pars, of Gillingham
and Motcombe ; acres 12,000, pop. 5199, houses
1077.

P. GILLINGHAM par. in the above lib. 4 m. N W.
of Shaftesbury-101, on R. Stour, contains Bourton
cur., and the remains of Selwood Forest, with
traces of a royal hunting seat. Acres 7220, good
dairy land; pop. 3661 + 33, some in the flax and
silk mills; poor r. 1312/. (Shaftesb. U.); real
prop. 11,362/. ; charities 323/., part for Grice's
(1526) free school, in which the great earl of
Clarendon was educated. St. Mary Vic. (Sal.)
val. with East and West Slower, Enmore Green,
Bourton, and Motcomb, 1313/., patr. Bishop;
church, part norman. Motcomb supplies Shaftes-
bury with \Ater. Fairs, Trin. Mou. 12 Sept.
horses, cattle.

GILLINGHAM HUNDRED. See CHATHAM.

P. GILLINGHAM par. (6) Chatham hund. Ayles-
ford lathe, N. Kent, 1 m. ENE. of Chatham-30, a
coast-gd. station, on R. Medway, containing
Brompton and Grange (a member of Hastings
cinque port), was the saxon GUlinga, and Gelingc-



G1L



759



ham of 'Domesdy.' and a mkt. town under the
archbps. of Canterbury, of whose palace a hall or
barn remains, 110 ft. by 30. Acres 3660 ; pop.
6069, decreasing ; poor r. 1420/. (Medway U.) ;
real prop. 20.495/. ; charities 21/., with a share in
Pitt's school, Chatham. St. Mary Magdalen Vic.
(Roch.) val. with Lidsing 643/., patr. Brasen. Coll.
Oxon. ; church, part norman, with the niche of
an idol called ' our Lady of Gillingham,' circular
font, piscina, 2 chapels, some stained glass, brasses
of a Beaufitz (1438) and another, and mons of the
Hay wards and Bammes of Grange. Edmd. Iron-
side beat Canute here 1016 ; on the river is a small
fort built by Ch. I. William of G., a monkish
historian, and Adams, who discovered Japan, were
natives.

Gillingham House ( ) 3 m. NW. of Burgh, E.
Lincoln. Mrs. Brackenbury.

P. GILLINGHAM, ALL SAINTS and ST. MARY,
united pars. (66) Clavering hund. SE. Norfolk,
5m. SE. of Loddon-112, on R. Waveney. Acres
1990 ; pop. 404 + 4 ; poor r. 2747. (Loddon U.) ;
real prop. 3548/. ; charities 51/., of which 71. to
Sunday school. St. Mary Rect. (Norw.) val. 523Z.,
patr. Lord G. Beresford ; church, ancient, partly
thatched, with a half norman tower. All Saints
tower remains. G. Hall, Mrs. B. Schutz ( ?).
Dean Moss, chaplain to Q. Anne, was a native.

Gillisay Isld. 2 m. SW. of Renish Head, in
Harris, Western Islds.

GILLMONBY tnshp. ( ) Bowes par. N. R. York.
4 m. SW. of Barnard-Castle-246. Acres 2350 ;
pop. 87 ; poor r. 12/. (Teesdale U.) ; real prop
1371*.

GILLMOOR hmlt. ( ) Bishop-Thornton chplry
W. R. York. 3 m. N. of Ripley-215.

GiLLMORTON par. (63) Guthlaxton hund. S.
Leicester. 3 m. NE. of Lutterworth-89. Acres
2830 ; pop. 688, decreasing, stocking makers ;
poor r. 494*. (Lutterw. U.) ; real prop. 4451*. ; cha-
rities 47/., of which Chandler's free school . All
Saints Rect. (Pet.) val. 632/., patr. Rev. D. J.
Burdett, rector.

GILLS vil. Canisbay par. N. Caithness. 2 m. W.
of Canisbay-298. Pop. 164.

GILLTOWN par. (28-9, 33) S. Naas bar. E. Kil-
dare, 3 m. SE. of Kilcullen-26. Acres 4869 ; pop.
1380 + 40. Living, a Vic. with Kilcullen. G.
House, R. Borrowes, Esq.

Gilly Lough ( ) near Market hill, Mid. Armagh.

Oilman Sand, in the Thames, 8 m. N. of Whit-
stable, is 2J m. long, and narrow, with 6 to 12 ft.
on it.

GIOIERTON q. s. par. in Libberton par. N. Edin-
bro', 4 m. SE. of Edinbro', has coal mines (with
cannel coal) and limestone quarries. Pop. 942,
of vil. 548. Living (presb. Edinb.) val. /.,
patr. Communicants.

GILMORTON vil. Towlis Wester par. Mid. Perth.
7 m. W. of Perth-40. Pop. 203. $& GILMOR-
TON vil. Atholstaneford par. N. Hadngtn. 3 m.
NE. of Haddington-17.

Gilnochie Tower, Canonbie par. SE. Dumfries.
on R. Esk, near the bridge, belonged to Johnnie
Armstrong, who was hung by Jas. V. at Carlenrig.

Gilpen's Farm (8) 2 m. N W. of Croydon, NE.
Surrey, on Mitcham common.

GILPHEAD vil. 20 m. SW. of Inverary, W. Ar-
gyll, on L. Fyne in Loch Gilp, which is about 3 in.
long, and is joined by a canal of 5m. to Crinan
bay, in Jura sound.

GILROE, or GILROES, ext. par. ( ) W. Goscote
hund. NIV. Leicester. Pop. 19.

GILSE ( ) 2 m. N. of Orton, N. Westmrld.

P. GILSLAND ( ) 7 m. NE. of Brampton-311,
NE. Cumbrld. a fine spot, on R. Irthing, near

3o -t



760



GIL



Newcastle rail., was a barony of the Howards of
Naworth, and has a sulphur spa, very useful in
skin and other complaints. The strata are very
plain on the river, and near it are Burdoswald
roman station on the Wall, Thirlwall, Naworth*



libus, takes his name, in the 'Talisman,' and
Lord Brougham his title of Vaux.

GILSON vil. (62) Coleshill par. NW. Warwick.
1 m. NW. of Coleshill-104.

GILSTEAD hmlt. ( ) Bingley tnshp. W. It.
York, near Bingley-202.

GILSTOX par. (47) Braughin hand. E. Herts.
5 m. E. of Ware-20. Acres 920 ; pop. 246 + 1 ;
poor r. 153Z. (Ware U.) ; real prop. 1299Z. ; cha-
rities 6/., for Gore's school, etc. Living, a Rect.
(Roch.) val. 241Z,, patr. Bishop of London. G.
Park, R. P. Ward, Esq. through the Plumers.

GILSTON, NEW, vil. Largo par. SE. Fife. 5 m.
SE. of Cupar-32. Pop. 229.

GUwett House (7) 2 m. S. of Waltham Abbey,
S W. Essex.

Gimcrach Green (1) 1 m. SE. of Chelmsford,
Mid. Essex.

GIMINGHAM par. (68) N. Erpingham hund.
NE. Norfolk, 4 m. N. of N. Walsham-125, near the
coast, has Erpingham Union p. ho. Acres 1240 ;
pop. 383 + 3 ; poor r. 305/. (Erping. U.) ; real prop.
3493Z. ; charities, ' bell-rope acre,' and another
piece held bv rector, for a sermon. All Saints
Rect. (Norw.) val. 417Z.,patr. Cath. Hall, Camb.

GIMMIXGBROOK hmlt. (4) Standford par. SE.
Kent, 2 m. NW. of Hythe-65. Pop. 57.

GLNGE, EAST, tythg. (13) W. Hendred par. Mid.
./?er/b.3m.ESE.ofWantage-60. Pop. 37. g3 G.,
WEST, tythg. E. Lockinge par. as above. Pop. 55.

Gingiekirk, another name for CHANKELKIRK,
Berwick.

GISNS hmlt. ( ) Preston Quarter tnshp. W.
Cvmbrld. 2m. S. of Whitehaven-294.

GIPPIXG hmlt. (50) Stowmarket par. Mid. Suf-
folk, 4 m. NNE. of Stowmarket-76, on R. Gipping,
which runs to R. Orwell, at Gippes-wich or Ips-
wich, below which it is called the Orwell. Acres
900; pop 93; poor r. 80Z. (Stow.U.); real prop.
1251/. Living, a Don. (Norw.) val. Z., patr.
C. Tyrrel, Esq., of G. Hall, who has the manor.
The river, from Stowmarket, was turned into a
canal 1793, 16 m. long, with 15 locks.

Gipsey's End (51) 7 m. NNE. of Clare, W.
Suffolk.

GIPTON hmlt. ( ) Potter-Newton tnshp. W.
R. York. 2 m, N. of Leeds-189, has a saxon camp.
' Girahe Lough ( ) Iveragh bar. Kerry, 6 m.
NW. of Ballinaskelligs bay.

Girdleness Point* 2 m. SE. of Aberdeen, NE.
Kincardine, outside Aberd. bay, has, in lat. 57 8'
N., long. 2 3' W., two fixed lights, put up 1833,
115 and 185ft. high, and seen 16 and 19 m.

Girdler Sand, in middle of the Thames, 8 m. N.
of Herne Bay, about 5 m. bv 2, and partly dry
at low water, has in lat. 51 29' N., long. 1 7' E.,
a floating tight moored in 3 J fath. put up in 1848,
38 ft. high, and seen 10 m.

GIRLEY par. (23-4) Upper Kells bar. W.
Meath, 3 m. N. of Athboy-34, contains Cloncat,
Fordstown, and Newtown Girley. Acres 5060,
good, with bog ; pop. 1556 + 7. Living, a Vic.
with Athboy. Triermore, T. Rotherham, Esq.

Girnego Castle, 2m. NE. of Wick, E. Caithness.
a ruin near Castle Sinclair and Ackergill Tower,
with which it belonged to the earls of Caithness.

GIRRICK tnshp. ( ) Skelton par. N. R. York.
5 m. E. of Guisboro'-245, is joined to MOORSHOLM.



GIS

GIRSBY hmlt. (83) Burgh-on-Bain par. A'.
Lincoln. 7 m. E. of Louth-143. Pop. 44. G.
House, Lister, Esq. ( ?) igP GIRSBY tnshp.
( ) Stockburn par. N. R. York. 6 m. SE. of Dar-
lington-241, on R. Tees. Acres 1410 ; pop. 80 ;
poor r. 33/. (Darling. U.) ; real prop. 1130/.

GIRTFORD hmlt. (52) Sandy par. E. Beds. 4 m.
NNW. of Biggleswade-45, near the bridge, on R.
Ivel. Pop. 607 ; real prop. 23SOZ.

GIRTHON par. SW. Kirkcudbt. 5 m. NW. of
Kirkcudbright-104, on R. Fleet, including part of
Gatehouse, belongs to Murray of Cally House.
Size 20 in. by 4, hilly in N., but fertile by the
river, with wood at Castramont. Pop. 1874+ 12 ;
real prop. 5745/. -, for poor 463Z. Living (presb.
Kirkcudbt.) val. 158Z., patr. Crown.

GIRTON par. (51) Northstow hund. <S. Cam-
bridge. 3 m. NW. of Cambridge-50. Acres 1700 ;
pop. 351 + 2; poor r. 211/. (Chesterton U.); real
prop. 2339Z. ; charities oil. St. Andrew Rect.
(Ely) val. 420Z., patr. Rev. G. B. F. Potticary ;
church, has 2 brasses of priests (1492-7). Mading-
ley Hall, Sir St. V. Cotton, Bt. i^ GIRTON-
par. (83) N. Newark wap. E. Notts. 7 m. N. of
Newark-124, near R. Trent. Acres 1210 ; pop.
206 + 2; poor r. 62Z. (Newark U.); real prop.
1943Z. Living, a Cur. with S. Scarle.

P. M. GIRVAN par. Carrick dist. S W.Ayr. 20 m.
SSW. of Ayr, 95 from Edinbro', a sub-port to Ayr,
at the mouth of G. River (Burns's "fairy haunted
stream," which rises in L. Breelen, and runs 25 m.
NW. and SW. to the sea opposite Ailsa craig), is
a burgh of barony under Hamilton of Bargeny,
governed by 2 bailies, 10 councillors, etc. Size 9 m.
by 4, or 19,000 acres, hilly, with trap, lime, sand-
stone, copper, etc. ; pop. 7424 + 99, cotton spinners,
and in coasting trade ; houses 1069, with chapels,
town hall, school, mkt. place, 3 banks ; real prop.
13,093Z. ; for poor Z. Living (presb. Ayr) val.
270Z., patr. Crown. The harb. is small and dries
at low water (1J fath. at high) ; and remains of
cairns, and 5 camps are seen on the hills. Mkt.
D. Mon. Fairs, last Mon. Apr. and Oct. ' Garv
aven,' rough water.

P. GISBCRN par. ( ) Staincliff wap. W. R.
York. 7 m. NE. of Clitheroe-217, near Bolton
and W. Yksh. rail., on R. Ribble, a polling'
and once a mkt. town, containing G. FOREST,
Rimmington, Tosside cur., and 6 other tnshps.
has a danish camp at Castle Haugh. Acres
18,190, pasture, with some lead, of town 2010 ;
pop. 2191, decreasing^ and 543; poor r. 212Z.
(Clith. U.) ; real prop. 3879Z. ; charities 39/., of
which 111. to free school. St. Marv Vic. (Rip.)
val. 161Z., patr. Ld. Chancellor. G". Park, Lord
Ribblesdale, has among others ' Cromwell ' by Lely,
ordering the execution of Charles with the word
" Now ! " on his lips ; and in the grounds a breed
of wild cattle, like the Chillingharn, all white
except the black nose.

GISBURN-FOREST tnshp. in the above par. con-
tains Haughton-Chapel and Owlshaw. Acres
4830 ; pop. 372 ; poor r. 145Z. ; real prop. 2444Z.

P. GISLEHAM par. (67) Mutford hund. NE.
Suffolk, 4 m. SW. of Lowestoft-114,near the coast.
Acres 1320; pop. 254; poor r. 150Z. (Mutfd.
U.) ; real prop. 4459Z. Holy Trinity Rect. (Norw.)
val. 331Z., patr. Ld. Chancellor; church, partly
thatch'd, with an old screen, painted windows,
and a round tower having a 6-sided steeple.

GISLINGHAM par. (50) Hartismere hund. N.
Suffolk, 5 m. WSW. of Eye-89. Acres 2940 ; pop.
669 ; p_oor r. 354Z. (Hartism. U.) ; real prop. 436 1/. ;
charities 85Z., with a free school. St. Mary Rect.
(Norw.) val. 503Z., patr. Rev. T. Collyer, rector.

GISSING par. (50) Diss hund. S. Norfolk, 4 m.



GIT



GLA



7G1



XXE. of Diss-86, on E. Union rail. Acres 1950 ;
pop. 498 ; poor r. 259/. (Depwade U.) ; real prop.
321 II. ; charities 31. St. Mary Rect. (Norw.) val.
/., patr. Rev. Sir W. R. Kemp, Bt. rector, of
G. Hall.

GITTISHAM par. (21) E. Badleigh hund. E.
Devon. 2 m. SW. of Honiton-148, near R. Otter.
Acres 2160; pop. 376; poor r. 80/. (Honit. U.) ;
real prop. 2639Z. ; charities, Beaumont's for poor
143/. Putt's school Wl. Living, a Sect. (Exet.)
val. 320/., patr. .

Givel Water, a branch of R. Aven, W. Lanark.

GIVENDALE tnshp. ( ) Ripon par. W. R.
York. 2 m. SE. of Ripon-212, near the R. Ure.
Acres 760 ; pop. 29 ; real prop. 1231/.

GIVENDALE, GREAT, par. ( ) Harthill wap.
E. R. York. 3 m. NNE. of Pocklington-212, con-
tains Grimthorpe. Acres 1130, of town 650;
pop. 85 + 1, and 70 ; poor r. 1081. (Pockling. U.) ;
real prop. 600J. Living, a Vic. with Millington.
igT G., LITTLE, hmlt. ( ) Millington par. near
the above. Pop. 73.

Given's, or Gibbon's, Grove (8) 1 m. S. of
Leatherhead, Mid. Surrey, R. Bolton, Esq.

GLACK vil. Methvin par. Mid. Perth. 4 m.
NW. of Perth-40. Pop. 36. G. House, J.
M'Kenzie, Esq.

Glackmore Mountain (30) near Lough Foyle
NE. Donegal, is 1295 ft. high. G. House, .

Gladesmore, or Bentley, Heath ( ) 2 m. NNE. of
Barnet, N. Middlesex, where Edw. IV. in 1471 de-
feated Warwick the king-maker, usually called
the battle of Barnet. An obelisk marks the spot.

GLADESTKY par. (56) Radnor hund. E. Radnor.
5 m. SW. of Kington-150, on R. Gwyddel, con-
tains Wainwen and Hengoed. Pop. 36G ; poor r.
265Z. (Kingt. U.) ; real prop. 2998J. ; charities 12Z.
Living, a Rect. (St. Dav.) val. 208/., patr. Crown.
G. Court, .

GLADHOUSEMILL vil. Temple par. E. Edinbro',
9 m. S. of Dalkeith, on G. Water, which runs to
the S. Esk.

GLADXEY vil. Cupar par. N. Fife, near Cupar
-32. Pop. 195.

P. GLADSMUIR par. 4 m. W. of Haddington
-17, W. Hadngtn. between R. Forth and Tyne,
near Preston Pans, containing Long Niddry,
Pension, Samueltown, was made a distinct par.
1695. Size about 6000 acres, well cultivated,
with coal; pop. 1699 + 3; real prop. 11,229/. ; for
poor 363Z. Living (presb. Hadngtn.) val. 317/.,
patr. Crown and Earl Hopetown of Ormiston,
was held by Robertson while writing his ' History.'
Ileriot, who founded the hosp. at Edinbro', was a
native (d. 1624).

Gltcstingabyrig, or Glasney, of the Saxons, is
GLASTONBURY, Somerset.

GLAISDALE par. ( ) E. Langbaurgh wap. N. R.
York. 9 m. WSW. of Whitby-236, contains
Stonegate and Lealholm Bridge. Acres 8370,
moorland; pop. 1021 + 2; poor r. 179/. (Whitby
U.) ; real prop. 48807. ; charities, school, etc. 9/.
Living, a Cur. (Yk.) val. 120/., patr. Archbp.

Glamich Mountn., near Sconser ( ?) in Skye,
W. Inverness, is more than 2000 ft. high.

P. &. GLAMMIS par. 5 m. SW. of Forfar-58,
S W. For far. on Scotl. Midld. rail., G. Burn, and
R. Dean, in Strathmore, under Sidlaw hills, con-
tains Arnyfoul, Charleston, Drumglay, Grass-
houses, Milton, Newton, Thornton, and belonged
to the " thane Macbeth." Size 12 m. by 2, or
15,000 acres, flat and fertile, with millstone and
purple grey sandst. 161 Ib. to cubic foot, and
traces of iead, etc. ; pop. 2167 + 16, of vil. 556,
linen weavers ; real prop. 7975/. ; for poor 285Z.
Living (presb. Forfar) val. 328/., patr. Earl of



Strathmore (and baron G.) of G. Castle, which
was the place of Mai. II.'s murder 1033, was
given 1372 by Rob. II. to his son-in-law J. Lyon,
and, though modernised, has some of the old
turrets, walls 15 ft. thick, suits of armour, about
100 portraits, and some curious sun-dials, etc.
Near the manse is K. Malcolm's pillar, another
at Gossans, and an old fort at Dunoon.

GLAMORGAN (20, 36-7, 41-2) a seaside county,
S. Wales, between Rs. Rumney and Loughor, was
part of Gwent (' fair land ') or Siluria (also ' fair
land '), in the roman Britannia Prima, called
Morganwg, or Gwlad- Morgan, by the Britons (i. e.
Morgan land, after Morgan son of K. Arthur, or
from ' Mor-cant ' sea-border), and made shire
ground by Hen. VIII., was overrun 10th cent,
by the Saxons and Danes, taken 1080 from Jestyn
ab Gwrgan by Fitz-hamon and his twelve knights
(as below), who parcelled it amongst them, and
came to the Clares, Despencers, Beauchamps,
etc., is traversed by Via Julia Maritima (after
Julius Frontinus), and S. Wales rail., watered
by Rs. Taf, Ely, Ogmore, Neath, Tawe, etc., and
bordered byMonmo' (E.), Brecon. (N.), Carmrthn.
(NW.), and Bristol Chan. (S.). Length from
Worms head to the Rumney beyond Rhuddry
53 m., greatest breadth 27, av. ditto 13 ; relative
size 137-10,000ths; circuit 140m., 64 being coast
of cliffy limestone, sometimes 300 ft. high, and
full of caves, along which are : R. Rumney, Cardiff,
and Bute docks on R. Taf, Lavernock pt., with
the Wolves and Flatholm off it, Sully, and Barry
islds., Aberthaw port near Breaksea pt., Nash pt.
and light where the ' Frolic ' was lost, Southern-
down bathing pi. near Bridgend on R. Ewenny,
Porthcawl harb., Aberavon, Neath, on N. RiveV,
Swansea and bay, Oystermouth pt. and It., Cas-
well bay, Oxwich pt. and bay, Port Einion pt.,
Worms head with its 'blow hole,' Rhosilly
bay where the ' City of Bristol ' was wrecked,
Burry isld. and river. It contains 792 sq. mis.
or 506,880 acres, of which 100,000 may be waste ;
171,188+4457 persons, of whom 59,692 are in
Hoel Wormwood (Merthyr-Tydvil), Swansea,
Cardiff, Clase, Neath, 83,319 are female, 78,712
under 20 yrs. of age, 126,759 county-born,
23,939, or 14'0 per cent., live by commerce, trade,
manufact., 10,086, or 5*9 per cent, in agricult.
(3191 being farmers and graziers), 1274 educated
professions, 4071 independent, 42,996 labourers
and servants (11,446 being miners), etc.; 32,718
houses, besides 1998 empty and building ; 10 hun-
dreds, Miskin (Mid.),Caerphilly (E.), Dinas Powis
and Kibbor (SE.),Cowbridge?S.), Newcastle and
Ogmore (SW.), Swansea or Gower (W.), Neath
and Llangafelach (NW.) ; 125 parishes,' besides
parts of 3 others, and 4 ex. par. places ; 1 city,
Llandaff (very small, with a ruined cathedral),
seat of the oldest diocese in England and above
207 vils. hmlts. etc. ; 7 market towns, Cardiff,
shire, assize, election town, Neath, Swansea, Mer-
thyr-Tydvil, Bridgend, Cowbridge, Llantrissent,

the first 3 and Cowbridge being sessions towns,

the first 5, polling places, poor law unions,
registries, and new county courts ; returns fire
members to parl. (in place of 2 aa before) viz. 2
for county (elect. 5471), Ifor Cardiff, Cowbridge,
Llantrissent (el. 880), 1 for Swansea, Neath,
Aberafon, Kenfig, Loughor (el. 1563), 1 for M.
Tydvil and Aberdare (el. 822) ; is governed by a
lord lieut. and about 80 magistrates ; is in S. Wales
circuit, Home military district, and the dioceses
of Llandaff and St. David's, province of Canter-
bury. Real prop. (1815) 334,192/. ('43) 617,3977.,
of which 34,697/. ou rails, and canals, 61,237/.
on mines, 19,848 on ironworks; ditto rentals



GLA



GLA



206,1117., or 8s. lirf. per acre (when wheat was
77s.), and 258,470/., or 10s. 2d. per acre (wheat
55s.); county income ('48) 19,458/., of which
10,705Z. from co. rate (on a val. of 541,275/. made
1844), 3544Z. from police r., 3554Z. from Treasury.
Poor r. (yr. 1846-7) for 5 unions, 44,333/. on
516,466?. or Is. 8%d. in the (wheat being 59s.),
cases relieved 12,744 (out-door 11,640) in esti-
mated pop. of 215,644. Total charities 105U, of
which 4967. for schools and education ; savings
bks. ('49) 4, with 174.133Z. from 4640 depositors ;
in yr. '38-9, 1460 m. of road (278 being turnpike)
were maintained for 6509Z. In '46-7, out of 140
pars. 99 had 113 church schools, supported by
3291/., with 6985 child, attending, and 152 paid
teachers (46 being monitors), whose salaries were
2528/., and who had 39 teachers' houses : out of
these 50 were free schools and 26 sund. sch.
(exclusively, with 108 teachers and 2329
child.) ; and 40 in union with the National Soc.
had 3572 child, and total grants of 1194Z. Of-
fenders in '48, 382 (or 275 av. of 5 yrs.), of whom
279 were convicted, 106 were females, 8 under 15
yrs. of age, 174 could not read or write. For births,



Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 212 of 293)