James A Sharp.

A new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) online

. (page 213 of 293)
Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 213 of 293)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

etc., see S. WALES. Deep vallies lying N. and
S., as those of Neath, Taff, Eontha (or Ystrad-
y-vodog, a very wild part), break up the surface,
which is hilly throughout, rising from the coast
to the N., where the highest points are Mynydd
Llangeinor at the Oginore's head 1859 ft., Craig-

SLlyn at the Rontha's head (about 1900 ft. ?),
ynydd-y-Gwair, or Pentler Castell, etc. What
is called the Vale of G. is a more level, mild,
populous, and fertile strip, 8 to 1 m.broad, along the
S. coast, on a substratum of lias and carboniferous
limestone, with millstone grit about Llandaff,
Bridgend, etc. and old red sandstone near Cow-
bridge, which is also found with limestone and
marble in Gower, W. of Swansea. All besides be-
longs to the great S. Wales coal basin, most part
of which is in this county, and which contains
blast-coal to the E., anthracite coal towards
Llanelly, abundance of iron, and black-band iron-
stone at Cwm Avon, etc. where it was found
by Mushett. Coal (employing about 9000
hands) is worked, mostly by levels, and in beds 2
to 3 ft. thick at Trefores't, Llanwnno, Kilybebyll,
Swansea, and (with iron, which employs about
2500 hands) at Aberavon, Gelligaer, M. Tydvil,
Aberdare, Newbridge, Cadoxton, Llangonoyd,
Michaelston-super-Avon, etc. Ironworks at
these places employ 3300 hands ; copper at Swan-
sea, Michaelston, Neath, Taebach, etc. (1343), tin
at Treforest, Aberavon, Cadoxton, Kilybebyll, etc.
(491), pottery at Swansea, Nantgarw, Ewenny
(138); woollens (about 400, or 219 in 1847)
made in the country places. Veins of copper, zinc,
lead, manganese, are found in the limestone, which
also contains gypsum, fire-stone, and many fossils.
Other streams besides the above, are the Ddaw,
Ewenny, Ogmore (with salmon), Afon ; near L.
Maur are some falls, and the Hepste falls
are across the border; Fynnon Taf is a good
mineral spring. Soil, loamy in the val-
leys, and along the sea border, mixed with beds
of clay, and a richer tract near Llantwit-major ;
wheat (25 bush, per acre), barley (30 to 35
bush.), oats (35 bush.), potatoes (6 tons), with
some beans, turnips, mangel-wurzel, clover, etc.
are raised; the native cattle are a good breed,
with thin hides; that of sheep in the hilly
pastures (which are chiefly common), have
short hairy fleeces, and the ewes are milked for
cheese. Farms are of all sizes, dairy and arable,
and mostly on lease, the buildings and cottages
of stone, whitewashed. Beech and elm grow

large in the dry soils. There are traces of roman

camps on the Via Julia way at Cardiff(anct. Tibia
Amnis), Caerau, Boverton (Bovium), Neath (Ni-
das), Loughor (Leucarum), and also of the Sarn
Hir and S. Helen ways ; druid remains at Gelli-
gron (circles), Dyffryn Ho. (2 cromlechs, with
a top stone 24 ft. long), Drummen (cist-
faen), Cefn Bryn or Arthur's stone, and Mar-
"cross (cromlechs), the Maen Llia on Sarn
Helen ; british camp near Bridgend, ogham stone
at Kenfig ; abbey ruins at Neath, Margam ; priory
at Ewenny ; old churches at Llandafl' (cathedral
partly restored), Llantwit-major (with its old col-
lege, houses, crosses, etc.), Cardiff, Llautrissent,
Eglwys Brewis (only 33 ft. by 21) ; castles at Car-
diff and Boverton (the Fitzhamons'), Caerphilly
(with a leaning tower), Morlais, Llantrissent, St.
Fagan's, Talavan, Powys, Cogan (Herberts'),
Wrinchstone, Penmark (Umfravilles'), Fonmon
(St. Johns' of Bletsoe) St. Athan's (Berkrolles'),
Bewper (Sitsyllts' or Cecils'), Llanbliddian (Quin-
tans'), St. Donat's (Stradlings'), Marcross, Pen-
lline Ogmore (De Londres'), Coity (Turbevilles'),
Sully (an isld.) Castell Coch, Neath (Granvilles'),
Swansea (Beaumonts'), Oystermo', Penrice (Man-
sells'),Pennarth orBovehill, Oxwich, Llandymore,
most of them being along the S. coast, "and in
Gower, which abounds with castles, camps, caves,
etc.. and has to this day a race of Flemings who
settled here (Hen. I.). Gower the poet was born
at Swansea, Caradoc the historian at Llancarvan,
Dr. Price at Tynton. Barry Isld. belonged to the
fam. of Giraldus, the historian ; at St. Fagan's,
Col. Horton was defeated, and Pont-y-Prydd
142 ft. span, was built by Edwards the self-taught
architect. Some of the seats are : Marq. of Bute
Cardiff Cast., Earl Dunraven D. Castle, E. Jersey
Briton Ferry, Morris, Bt. Clasemont, Aubrey,
Bt. of Llantryddyd, Talbot of Margam (with its
orangery, etc.), and Penrice, Jenner of Wtnvoe,
O. Jones of Fonmon, Morgan of Llandouyh, Tur-
berville of Ewenny, Nichols of Merthyr Mawr,
Trehaern of Coetrechen, G. Llewelyn of Baglan,
Grant of Gnoll, Lloyd of Kilybebyll, Lucas of
Stonthall, D. Jones of Bewper, Homfray of Pen-
/Zzne,Vaughan of Rheola, Williams of Aberpergwm
(old), Vivian of Singleton, Barrington of Wood-
lands, Tynte of Cefn Mably (old), Grey of Dyf-
fryn (old), W. Crawshay of Cyfarthfa, R. Craw-
shay of Hensol, etc. The Lanharran and Park
harriers hunt here ; and it gives title of earl to

Duke of Beaufort. A canal 26 m. long, with

40 locks, from M. -Tydvil to Cardiff, was cut
1791-8, and has a branch to Aberdare, and a tram
rail. 8 m. long at the top, besides a rail, along the
main line ; a canal of 15 m. from Swansea past
Briton Ferry and Neath up the vale to Aberper-
gwm, with rail, to Aberdare, and another of
16 m. from Swansea up the Tawe. About 40 m.
of the S. Wales rail, pass Cardiff, Llandaff, Llan-
trissent, Bridgend, Pyle (where the Llynvi rail,
of 12 m. crosses), Aberavon, Neath, to Swansea.
Roads from Cardiff: (1) In direction of the Via
Julia, to Cowbridge 10 m., Bridgend 16, Margam
24, Aberafon 28, Neath 32, Swansea 38, Loughor
43, or to Worm's Head through Gower 53. (2)
To Llandaff 2, Newbridge 10 (to Llantrissent 9,
or to Caerphilly 7), Merthyr-Tydvil 19 ; thenc*
to Brecknock 37 ; or via Newbridge to Aberdart
21, Hirwaun 24 (to Hepste falls 24), Aberpergwm
in Vale of Neath 30, Neath 40.

Glan Conwy ( 74) 6 m. SSE. of Llanrwst, W,
Denbigh. gsT G. Is and G. UWCH tnshps. (79)
Whitford par. N.Flint. 3 m. NW. of Holywell-200.
Pop. 470 and 864. igT G. Mountains ( ) near
Oughterard, 2V. Galway 1060 ft. high. ^T G


Rheidol ( ) near Aberystwith. N. Cardigan, on
the Rheidol. g~| G. Severn ( ) close to Ber-
riew, E. Montgmry. on the Severn, W. Owen, Esq.

GLANARON hinlt. (79) Picton tnshp. N. Flint.
5 in. NE. of Rhyildlan-208.

Glanavarine (124, 137) 6 m. SW. of Kinsale,
SE. Cork, in Courtmacsherry Bay, J. R. Howe,

GLANAVON FACII and G. FAWR tnshps. (74)
Llarhaiadr-yn-Mochnant par. N. Montgomery.

4 in. NNW. of Llanfyllin-179. Pop. 51 and 86 ;
real prop. 8847.

Glanbeg Bay (106) 4 m. S. of Lough Currane,

5 W. Kerry.

GLANBRAN (41) 4m.NNE. of Llandovery-191,
NE. Carmarthen. G. Park, Col. Gwynne. |gT
Glanbran ( ) near Neath Abbey, Glamorgan.
Jones, Esq.

Glancarra ( ) near Ballinacargy, W. West-
tneath, R. H. Killy, Esq.

GLANCLWYD tnshp. (79) Aberwheeler tnshp.
N. Denbigh. 3 m. NE. of Ruthin-195. Pop. 80.

Glancorrog( ) near Merthyr (?), Glamrgn. has
some coal and iron mines.

GLANDFORD par. (68) Holt hund. N. Norfolk,
3 m. NW. of Holt-119, contains Bayfield. Acres
1180 ; pop. 81 ; poor r. 87/. (Erpingham U.) ; real
prop. 14497. St. Martin Cur. with Cockthorpe.

Glandine Cottage (101) near Arthurstown, /S W.
Wexford, P. Babington, Esq.

P. GLANDORE vil. (142) W. Carbery-East bar.
/S. Cork, 3 m. W. of Roscarbery, is a bathing place,
and coast-gd. station, belonging to J. R. Barry,
Esq. of G. House, on G. Harbour, which has good
shelter for 300-ton ships, inside Squince and
Adam's islds., with a tower on Filneshawk head.

GUA.NDUAR vil. (41) Llanybyther par. 2V. Car-
marthen. 4 m. SW. of Lampeter-202.

GLANDUFF vil. (53) Upper Connello bar. SW.
Limerick, 8 m. S. of Newcastle-145. G. Castle, R.
Stavelly, Esq. ; G. House, E. Jevers, Esq. gap"
Glanduff ( ) near Athlone, SE. Roscommon, J.
Conmee, Esq.

Glandulas (61) 1 m. S. of Llanidloes-188, S

GLANDYSIL.VED hmlt.(41)Llandyssil par. S. Car-
digan. 7 m. E. of Newcastle-Emlyn-229. Pop. 333.

Glaneola Rivulet (16) in Glendalough vale,
Mid. IVicklow, a branch of the Avonmore, about
8 m. long.

Glanerough ( ) near , Dublin, T. Orpen, Esq.

Glanftesk (67) near Killarney, Mid. Kerry, D. C.
Coltsman, Esq.

(86) Wrawby par. 2V. Lincoln. 22 m. NNE. of
Lincoln, 155 from London, on Manch. and Line,
rail., at the bridge on R. Ancholme, a polling
(for parts of Lindsey) and petty sessions town,
which had an hospital found, by the Paynels
as a cell to Selby. Pop. 1822 + 4, in a good
corn, coal, and timber trade, rabbit-skin dressers,
tanners, etc. ; houses 380, with 5 chapels, 3-arch'd
bridge, 2 banks, savings bk. (14,9197. from 639
depositors), Nelthorpe's gram, school (5227.), and
Union poor house ; poor r. 603/. on 3620/. ; real
prop. 64747. ; charities 552/. St. Mary Cur. with
Wrawby. Glanfd.-B. P. L. Union, contains the
pars. etc. of Appleby, Ashby*, Aulkborough,
Barnetby-le-Wold, Barrow, Barton (St. Mary and
St. Peter), Bonby, Bottesford, Bromby*, Urough-
ton, Burringham*, Burton-on-Stather, East But-
terwick*, Cadney cum - Housham, Cleatham*,
Crosby*, Croxton, Elsham, Ferraby (South),
Flixborough, Frodingham, Glanford Brigg, Gox-
hill, Gunhouse*, Hal ton (East and West), Hi-
baldstuwe, Holme, Horkstowe*, Killingholme



(North and South), Kirmington, Kirton-in-Lind-
sey, Manton, Melton Ross, Messingham, Raven-
thorpe*, Redbourne, Roxby-with-Risby, Saxby,
Scawby -with- Sturton, Scunthorpe*, Thornton
Curtis, Twigmore*, Ulceby, Whitton, Winter-
ingham, Winterton, Wootton, Worlaby, Wrawby
(where poor ho. is), Yaddlethorpe* ; acres 155,690,
pop. 29,828, cases relieved (yr. 1846-7) 2422 (out-
door 2201), expend. 96047., prop, rated 184,0377.
Sup. Registry comprises those marked * ; pop.
29,829 + 364. The New County Court district cor-
responds with the Registry, except Barton sub-
dist. which goes to Hull. M ht. D. Th. Fair, 5 Aug.

Glanfraed ( ) near R. Leri, N. Cardigan, the
birthplace of H. Llwyd, the great antiquary.

Glanhafren (60) 3 m. W. of Montgomery, E.
Montgomery., J. B. Williams, Esq. (?)

Glanhest Bog ( ) Burrishoole bar. W. Mayo.

Glanisorlean Rivulet ( ) Rathdown. bar. 2V.
Wichlow, a branch of R. Bray.

Glanleem (79) 4 m. WSW. of Cahersiveen in
Valentia Isld. W. Kerry, belongs to the Knight of

GLANMORE vil. (41) Ida bar. -S. Kilkenny, 6 m.
E. of Mullinavat-87.

Glanmore Lough (111) 14 m. SW. of Kenmare,
& Kerry.

Glannibanta, or Glanoventa, of Antonine, is LAN-
CHESTER, Durham, on Watling St., where many
inscriptions, etc. have been found. Some fix it at
Ellenborough and Cockermouth.

Glanrannel (41) 8 m. W. of Llandovery, Mid.

GLANROE vil. ( ) Galway bar. Mid. Galiuay,
near Galway- 133. Pop. 170.

P. GLANRURE vil. (74) Cork bar. Mid. Cork, 3 m.
NE. of Cork- 160, a pretty spot on G. River, which
runs to R. Lee. Pop. 453, some in the woollen
and bleach works. G. House, E. T. Morrogh, Esq.

Glanseven (41) 1 m. ENE. of Llangatock, E.
Carmrthn. on R. Teivi, E. Lloyd, Esq., whose
harriers and other hounds hunt round here.

P. GLANTANE limit. (60) Tiaquin bar. E. Gal-
way, 1 m. W. of Castleblakeney-106.

P. GLANTANE vil. (32) Duhallow bar. 2V. Cork,

5 m. SW. of Mallow-147. Pop. 193.
GLANTAWAY hmlt. (41 ) Abergwilly par. Mid.

Carmrthn. near Carmarthen-218. Pop. 399 ; real
prop. 2261/.
GLANTHES tnshp. ( ) Felton par. E. Northmbrld.

6 m. NE. of Rothbury-304, is joined to GREENS.

P. GLANTON tnshp. ( ) Whittingham par. 2V.
Northmbrld. 7 m. WNW. of Alnwick-308, has a
good view from G. Pike, with some barrows, etc.
Pop. 592 + 6 ; poor r. 1407. (Alnw. U.). G. House,
Maj. Franklin.

Glanusk (42) 2 m. SW. of Crickhowell, SE.
Brecon. J. Bailey, Esq. M.P. G. Villa, .

P. GLANWORTH par. (19, 26-7) Condons and
Fermoy bars. E. Cork, 4 m. NW. of Fermoy-137,
a police station, in a pretty spot, on R. Funcheon,
had Roches' castles (one destroyed in Cromwell's
time) and has part of a friary found, by them 1227.
Acres 9741, with limestone; an. val. 98797.; pop.
4832 + 38, of vil. 1012 ; houses 189, with chapel,
flour mills, etc. Living, a Rect. and prebend.
(Ck. K. C.) with 3 others, val. 8907., patr. Bishop.
Fairs, 15 Jan. 16 Mar. 13 May, 10 Aug. 24 Sept.
30 Nov. At Labacally is a druid stone of 17 ft.
resting on others. Ballyclough, Gen. Barry. (?)

Glanyllyn (74) 3 m. SW. of Bala, E. Merioneth.
on the lake, Sir W. W. Wynne, Bt.

GLANYNANT vil. (56) Glynbrocan tnshp. <S
Montgomery. 3 m. S. of Llanidloes-188.

Glanyrafon (78) 2 m. SW. of Carnarvon, 2V




Glanyrannel (41) 7 m. W. of Llandovery, N.
Carmarthen, on the Colley.

Glanyraven ( ) near Beguild\ r , NE. Radnor.
Rev. R. Hamer.

Glanywern (79) 3 m. E. of Denbigh, SE. Den-
bigh, on the Clwyd, J. Haddocks, Esq.

GLAPTHORN par. (64) Wellybrook hund. NW.
Northmptn. 1 m. NW. of Oundle-78, near Peter-
boro' rail, and R. Nen. Acres 1370 ; pop. 427 + 7 ;
poor r. 2561. (Ound. U.) ; real prop. 1830Z. ; cha-
rities 51. St. Leonard Vic. with Cotterstock.

GLAPTON par. (71) N. Rushcliffe wap. S. Notts.
3 m. SSW. of Nottingham-124, is joined to

GLAPWELL hmlt. (82) Bolsover par. NE.Derby.
6 m. SE. of Chesterfield-150, had a chapel to
Darlg abbev. Acres 720 ; pop. 91 ; poor r. 44Z.
(Mansfield U.) ; real prop. 1536?. G. House, T.
Hallows, Esq.

Glaramara Fell ( ) in Borrowdale, Cumbrld.
3 m. S. of Derwentwater.

P. GLASBURY par. (42) Pains Castle hund.
Radnor, and Talgarth hund. Brecon. 4 m. SW. of
Hay-154, on R. Wye, is a petty sessions town in
a fine spot, containing Pipton, Tregoed and Ve-
lindre, belonged to the Cliffords, now to Col. Wood
of Gwyrnefed. Pop. 1377, decreasing; poor r.
249Z. (Hay U.) ; real prop. 6165/. ; charities 9Z.
Living, &"Vic. (St. Dav.) val. 382/., patr. Bishop
of Gloucest. Maeslough, W. Wilkins, Esq. At
Solerville the Solers, norman settlers, were seated.

Glascarrick Head. See Cohort Point.

GLASCOED hrnlt. (36) Usk par. Mid. Monmouth.
3 m. W. of Pontypool-149. Acres 1470, part
common ; pop. 203 ; poor. r. 59Z. (Pontypool U.) ;
real prop. 1261/. ' Glas,' green.

GLASCOMB par. (56) Colwyn hund. S. Radnor.
6 m. SE. of Radnor-159, contains Drewerh and
Vajoior Glare. Acres about 5000, part waste ;
pop. 561+5; poor r. SOU. (Kington U.) ; real
prop. Z. ; charities 6t Living, a Vic. (St. Dav.)
val. with Colva and Rulen 248/., patr. Bishop.
G. Court, S. Bevan, Esq. Here Giraldus saw the
Bangu, or St. David's bell. Near Harpton is
Blaen Edwy sulphur springs. ' Green hollow.'

GLASCOTE tnshp. (62) Tamworth par. .ZV. War-
wick. 1 m. SE. of Tamworth-115, is joined to

GLASDUMMAN (53) 6 m. NE. of Kilkeel, SE.
Down, on Dundrum bay, Col. H. Senior.

GLASFORD par. Middle Ward, W. Lanark. 4 m.
S. of Hamilton-38, near R. Avon, contains Cha-
pelton and West-quarter. Size 8 m. by 2, with
coal and lime; pop. 1736 + 1, weavers, etc. ; real
prop. 6700Z. ; for poor 3221. Living (presb. Ha-
mil.) val. 2571., patr. Lady Montgomerie.

Glasfryn (75) 4m. NE. by E. of Nevin, SW.

*# P. M. GLASGOW city, locally in Lower
Ward, NW. Lanark, on the Clyde, 50 m. from the
sea (at Cumbraes), 47^ from Edinbro' by rail.,
402 from London, 221 from Manchester, the
largest manufacturing town and port in Scotland,
and the 4th in the United Kingdom, the seat of a
university, synod, and a sheriff substitute, an
assize town, and head of an excise district, was,
according to some, a roman station, and grew out
of a monastery and diocese found, about 580 by
St. Mungo; declined, and was restored again
1115 by Dav. I., and made burgh of barony 1172
by Bp. Joceline ; was the scene of Percy's defeat
by Wallace 1300, and of a parl. held 1348 ; made
an archdiocese 1488, plundered by the catholic
party, and visited 1567 by Q. Mary in Darn-
ley's sickness; was the place of synods held
158-, 1609, and 1638 (which overturned epis-

| copacy) ; made a royal burgh 1611, fined 1C45
I by Montrose, visited 1650 by Cromwell, had
; a pop. of 14,000 in 1651, nearly burnt 1652, was
| held by Claverhouse after his defeat at Drum-
] clog, became prosperous after the Union 1707,
! when the pop. was 12,000, with a small trade
j with Holland, France, etc., and a growing trade
with Virginia in tobacco, which it nearly mono-
polised about 1760-70 ; was plundered 1745 bv
Ch. Stuart, and visited by Q. Victoria 1849 ;
returns two members to parl. by the Reform bill
(in place of one jointly with Renfrew, etc. from
1611), the new bounds including the city (which
contains 10 civil and 18 q. s. pars, as below),
Barony (16 q. s. pars.), part of Gorbals (5 q. s.
pars.), and several vils., as Anderston, Blyths-
wood, Bridgeton, Brownfield, Calton, Camlachie,
Govan, Hutchesontown, Eglinton, Finneston,
Greenhead, Garnett Hill, Kingston, Kippochill,
Kirkfield, Laurieston, Maryhill, Mile-end, Milton,
Millerston, Renfield, St. Rollox, Shettleston,
Springbarn, Stockwell, TradeSton, Stobcross,
Rutherglen, Tolcross, Villafield, Woodside, no.
of electors 11,743 (of 10Z. houses 60,381) ; and is
governed by a provost (by courtesy, lord pro-
vost), 5 bailies, 50 councillors, dean of guild, etc.,

with a revenue of 20,2487. Size 4 m. by o, with

coal, stone, mineral springs, and part being a level
once covered by the sea. Pop. (1801) 77,385,
(1821) 247,043, when the births and deaths were 1
in 29 and 39, (1841) 274,533 + 7211 , of whom are
engaged in the manufact. of cotton goods 20,786
(hands), muslins 1105, woollens 1264, silk, rib-
bons, kerchiefs, gauzes, etc. 677, baskets 50,
printing blocks 216, boilers and engines 710,
brass 285, brushes 145, caps 104, cards 55, car-
pets 202, combs (horn and ivorv) 55, cork 122,
flax 243, fringe 60, gauze 4, girths 16, glass 283,
gloves 8, hats 269, hat and band boxes 30, heddles
111, hinges 8, iron goods 1192, lace 26, linen
(which flourished from 1725 till muslins were
made) 50, nails 243, paper 98, pipes 76, planes 20,
pottery 568, quills 22, rag 33, reeds 70, rope 440,
sails 51, shawls 53, shuttles 31, soap 32, spindles
7, spoons (horn and metal) 16, stockings 93,
tartans 11, tassels 9, thread and tape 195, edge
tools 21, turnery 264, umbrellas, etc. 255, worsted
96, yarns 521, besides which there are dyers
841, lithographers 70, colliers 1576, iron miners
46, moulders 321, pattern designers 218, calico
and cotton printers 1090, quarriers 250, ship-
wrights 311, sugar boilers 43, tanners 43, wax
workers 10, 'factory workers' (so returned)

3007, weavers 6063 (2321 being hand-loom).

Houses 52,441 (besides 2866 empty and building)
of stone, the oldest being near the cathedral, Iron-
gate or principal street, and High and Saltmarket
streets, and some of the best in Queen, Buchanan,
Ingram sts. at Blythswood ; the chief build-
ings are : university (as below), 12 churches,
about 31 chapels of ease (3 being gaelic), 30 free
churches, 8 united secession, 11 associate, synod,
8 relief synod, 5 episcopal, 3 methodist, 4 congre-
gational (Dr. Wardlaw's, a grecian specimen), 4
roman cath. (St. Andrew's, b. 1816 by Gillespie),
and about 12 other chapels; city hall in Candle-
rigg St., old town-hall (b. 1740) with some por-
traits and a statue of Pitt by Flaxman (1812),
Chamber of Commerce; Exchange Buildings
(1829) by Hamilton at cost of 60.000/. with a
noble corinthian portico of 8 columns, lantern
tower, great news-room 130 ft. bv 60, and 30 high,
with a bronze of Duke of Wellington in front by
Marochetti (1844); Tontine buildings (b. 1780,
when a canoe was found) on rustic base or piazza,
with reading room 74ft. long, and bronze statue


of Will. III. given by Gov. Macrae ; corn ex-
change, b. 1841-2 by Brown in Italian style, with
a hall 80ft. by 57; new justiciary and local
courts and gaol in Wilson St. with a good portico
copied from the Parthenon (reb. 1812-4, the spire
of Rob Roy's old tolbooth being in High St.) ;
N. and S. prisons, gaols at Calton, Gorbals, An-
derson ; city and co. bridewell (b. 1823-4) in
norman styfe with 126 cells, at cost of 25,0007., and
almost self-supporting ; custom-house, excise, and
police offices; trades hall (for 14 incorporated
trades, whose funds are about 140,0007.), with a
dome, room 70 ft. by 35 ; 2 water companies, gas-
works ; assembly rooms 80 ft. by 35 ; 15 banks,
including Ship company's (as old as 1749), bank
of Scotld., British linen company's, city of Glas.
(a copy of Jupitor Stator at Rome), commercial
bk. of Scotld., royal bk. (good), Clydesdale, union
bk. of Scotld., national bk. of Scotld. (fine Italian
by Gibson), Western bk. ; insurance companies ;
savings bank (369,4187. from 22,788 depositors) ;
King, Montrose, and Buchanan mkts., where beef-
rounds, tripe, and cow-heel of noted quality are
sold ; tron or weigh house, and slaughter-house ;
theatre royal, and another where 61 young per-
sons were smothered from an alarm of fire 1849 ;
Necropolis in the old Fir Park, near the Molla-
dinar burn, 250 ft. above the Clyde at Knox's
mon. (by Forrest, 1825) ; infantry barracks ; Ja-
maica or Glasg. bridge, the lowest of all (near
the Broomielaw), b. 1768, reb. on a 7-arched level
1833 by Telford, 500 ft. by 60, wooden br., reb.
1803 on a level by R. Stevenson in place of one
carried away by the floods (which rose 20 ft.
higher than usual 1782), Bp. Rae's Stockwell or
Old 8-arched br. 415 ft. long, b. 1345 (at first
only 12 ft.), now 20 ft. wide, besides footpaths
added at the sides, Hutcheson br., b. 1829-33 for
22,000/. by Stevenson, Rutherglen br., near the
Green, and King's park of 140 acres and 2Jm.
round, with the Nelson col. of 143 ft. (b. 1804) ;
numerous cotton factories, founderies, breweries,
bleach and print works, including Campbell's
wareho. in Candleriggs St. for ' soft ' goods (dra-
pery, haberdashery, etc.), Gillmour's ship yards,
Napier's iron ship yards and engine factory, Bar-
rowfield bandana works (where turkey red was
first used) ; St. Rollox's chemical works, on a
site of 10 acres, with a chimney 440 ft. high ;
Clelaud testimonial, a pile of houses to the me-
mory of Dr. Cleland, b. 1834 for 5000/.; St.
George's Sq. with a bronze by Flaxman (1809)
of Sir J. Moore (a native, 1761-1809), another by
Chantrey of Watt, who settled here as math, in-
strument maker to the university, also a column
to Scott 80 ft. high ; Anderson's University, found.
1796 by J. Anderson, in the old gram, school, in-
cluding a theatre, museum 52 ft. round, library,
laboratory, and has professorships of nat. philos.,
chemistry (held by Ure), anatomy, surgery, vete-
rinary surgery, mat. medica, midwifery, phar-
macy, mathemat., geography, exper. philos.
(once held by Birkbeek), nat. hist., logic, ethics
(held by Coombe); grammar, or high, school,
of very'ancient date, reb. 1820-1, and has 300
scholars; mechanics' institution (1823), with a
good library and 300 members; Philosophical
Society (1802) with a library ; Stirling's library
(1791) of 10,000 scarce books, public lib. (1804),
Robertsonian lib. (1814) for theology ; Maitland
club for printing rare books, Western and Union
clubs ; Literary, Lit. and Commercial, Dilletanti,
and other societies; normal school, b. 1837 in
tudor style with a good tower, free church nor-
mal sch. ; Wilson's sch. (215/.) for 48 boys, Mil-
lar's sch. (2707.) for 60 girls, M'Lachlan's high-



land sch., Highland Society's sch. for 60 boys,
Murdock's and Mrs. Maxwell's schools, Craw-
ford's, Baxter's, Tennant's, Lennox's, Peadie's,
and many other schools ; royal infirmary and
fever hosp. on site of abp.'s palace; Hutche-
son's hosp. (25007.) found. 1640 for decayed bur-
gesses, etc., and a school ; merchants' hospital,
marine society ; Bp. Muirhead's or St. Nicholas
hosp. for 10 (Jas. III.) ; about 40 benevolent,
friendly, and other societies ; new lunatic asylum,
in norman style, on site of 66 acres ; Magdalene
asyl. (1812), lock hosp. (1805), town hosp. or
poor house (1733), which was lun. asyl. till 1810 ;
eye infirmary, blind asylum (where Mr. Alston
printed the whole bible in raised letters, 1836-40,
in 15 vols. 4to.), deaf and dumb institution,
lying-in hosp., old men's asyl., night asyl., boys'

house of refuge. Real prop. 629,340/., of which

118,119/. on rail., 15,1507. on canal; for poor
67,4197. ; charities /., including Dr. Bell's be-
quest of 97917. for 2 schools, and Buchanan's 800Z.

Livings are: St. Mungo, val. 500/., patr.

Crown ; church, called High Church or cathedral
(to which 29 prebends were attached), and lately
restored by Blore, is on a hill near Molendinar
burn, was begun 1133-6 by Bp. Achaius, is very
ancient-looking "a' solid weel-jointed mason-

Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 213 of 293)