Lincoln. 9 m. SW. of Caistor-153, contains Bi-
shop's Bridge. Acres 2240 ; pop. 477 + 8 ; poor r.
1337. (Caist. U.); real prop. 39257. St. Peter
Vic. (Line.) val. 907., patr. Dean and Chap.
Glcnthomana ( ) Burrishoole bar. W. Mayo,
near Maum Thomaus mountain.
Glenthorne, or Countisbury, House (27) near
Countisbury, N. Devon. J. Knight, Esq.
P. GLESTIES vil. (74) Bannagh bar. W. Done-
gal, 23 m. SW. of Letterkenny, 162 from Dublin,
belongs to Lord A. Hill, who resides and has
effected great improvements among his people.
Pop. 317. Fairs, 17 Mar. 19 June, 27 July, 12
Aug. 12 Sept. 28 Dec. Glenties P. L. Union,
contains 13 elect, divs. in Donegal, with 24 guard-
ians; acres 260,578, pop. 43,571, ho. room for
600, cases relieved (1847-8) 2316 (besides 11,137
out-door), expend. 7812/., prop, rated 16,3307.
Glentilt, 7 m. N. of Blair Atholl, N. Perth, on
R. Tilt, a pass 10 to 15 m. long, through the
Grampians, to Braemar, belonging to the Duke
of Atholl, and under Cairn Gower (3690 ft.)
etc. Talc, etc. are found in the limestone, which
becomes marble in some parts, and granite
Glentora Hill (13) in N. Cork, near the borders
Glentorum, ( ) near Belfast, N. Down, W.
GLENTRATHEN par. is joined to LINTHRATHEN.
G/entruim, near Dalwhinnie inn, on R. Truim,
SE. Inverness, seat of E. Macpherson, Esq.
Glenturret, near Crieff, Mid. Perth, a beautiful
spot on R. Turit, where traces of gold have been
GI.ENTWORTH par. (83) W. Aslacoe wap. N IV.
Lincoln. 8 m. ESE. of Gainsboro'-148. Acres
2940; pop. 324 + 3; poor r. 1227. (Gainsb. U.);
real prop. 30857. ; charities 207. to Wray's alms-
houses. St. Michael Vic. (Line.) val. 3077., patr.
Earl of Scarboro' of G. House.
Glentyan, near Kilbarchan, Mid. Renfrew., J.
Stirling, Esq., under Bankbrae.
Glcnullen Vale ( ) near Garvagh, E. London-
Glenure, 15 m. S. of Fort William, N. Argyll.
Sir A. Campbell, Bt.
Glenurquhart, Urquhart par. N. Inverness, near
Loch Ness, a beautiful, well-wooded glen 10 m.
long, with Drumindrochet Inn, a lake, and the
Grants' old castle, in it.
Glenview ( ) near Belturbet, N. Cavan, M.
Philips, p:sq. g3T Glenview (65) near Middle-
ton, E. Cork.
Glcnvil/age (26) Kilmacrcnan bar. N, Donegal,
4 m. S. of Carrie-hart.
GLENVILLE vil. (43) Barrymore bar. E. Cork,
a police station, 6 m. SW. of Rathcormac-142.
Pop. 358, with Ardnageehy church, chapel, dis-
pensary, schools. G. House, Dean cf Armagh.
^ Glcnviile (21) near Tallaght, S. Dublin.
gar Glenville (28) near Arclagh, W. Limerick,
W. Massy, Esq.
Glenn-harry, near Kirkconnel, NIV. Dumfries.
in a hilly spot, where coal, etc., are found, and
St. Conal is buried.
GLENWHIRUY ext. par. (38-9) Lower Antrim
bar. Mid. Antrim, 6 m. E. of Ballymena-118, in
G. Vale. Acres 11,368; pop. 1548+19.
Glenwilliam (37) near Ballingarry, S. Limerick,
Glenwood (24) 4 m. N. of Rathdrum, Mid.
GLKVERING hmlt. (50) Hacheston par. E. Suf-
folk, 4 m. S. of Framlingham-87, on R. Deben,
seat of A. Arcedeckne, Esq. Pop. 11.
Glevi of Bede, is R. Bowent, Northmbrld.
Glevum of Antonine, is GLOUCESTER, on the
GLEWSTONE tnshp. (43) Goodrich par. S.
Hereford. 3 m. SW. of Ross-120, on R. Wye.
GLIDDEN tythg. (11) Hambledon par. SE.
Hants. 7 in. SW. of Petersfield-54, is joined to
Glimsholm Isld., Holm par. 5. Orkney, 1 m. S.
of Pomona, near Burray Isld.
P. M. GLIN vil. (17) Shanid bar. W. Limerick,
2 m. SW. of Limerick, 155 from Dublin, a po-
lice, petty sessions town, and bathing place, on
R. Shannon, was given by Hen. II. to the
Fitzgeralds, and will be the head of a new poor
1. Union. Pop. 1208 + 17, in the fisheries, corn,
and butter trade, and linen manufact. ; houses
200, with Kilfergus church, chapel, bridewell.
G. Castle, seat of the 19th Knight of Glin, Rt.
Hon. J. F. Fitzgerald, near the remains of that
which was taken by Ormond and Raleigh 1580.
The old church has mons. of the family, whose
war-cry was " Shanid aboo ! " and there are some
forts. M kt. D. . Fairs, Wed. before 11 June,
and after 1 1 Sept. 1 Dec.
Glinsk (7) 6 m. NE. of Glennamaddy, N. Gal-
GLINTON par. (64) Peterboro' lib. NE. North-
amptn. 6 m. NNW. of Peterboro'-81. Acres 1380 ;
pop. 404 ; poor r. 3787. (Peterb. U.) ; real prop.
32427.; charities 1197., of which 157. to Ireland's
school. St. Benedict Cur. with Peakirk.
Glitness Isld., Tingwall par. Shetland Islds.,
7 m. NE. of Lerwick in Catfirth Voe.
GLOBE TOWN hmlt. (1) Bethnal Green par.
NE. Londn. 2 m. NE. by E. of St. Paul's, near
Victoria Park, E. Count, rail., St. James's church,
GLOBWLL tnshp. ( ) Llanfyllin par. N. Mont-
gomery, near Llanfyllin-179. Pop. 124 ; real prop.
Gloddaetk (78) 1 m. N. of Conway, NE. Car-
narvon. Hon. E. LI. Mostyn.
GLODWICK (88^ near Prestwich, SE. Lancash.
is a Cur. (Man.) val. 1507., patr. Crown and
Glomach Fall, in Kintail, S1V. Ross, in a
gloomy spot, near Glenelchaig.
GLOOSTON par. (64) Gartree hund. SE. Leicest.
6 m. N. of Market-Harboro'-83, on a branch of
R. Welland. Acres 660 ; pop. 157 ; poor r. 1017.
(M. Harboro' U.) ; real prop. 16387. St. John
Rect. (Pet.) val. 1807., patr. Earl of Cardigan.
G. Lodge, 1 m. N.
Glorat, near , Dumbrtn. Stirling,Esq.
Glare Lough (3) near Castlepollard, N. tVest-
GLORORUM tnshp. ( ) Bambrough par. NE.
Northmbrld. 4 m. E. of Belford-322. Pop. 53 ;
poor r. 147. (Belfd. U.).
P. GLOSSOP par. (81) High Peake hund. NfV.
Derby. 8 m. N. of Chapel-le-Frith-167, near Manch.
and Shell", rail., a polling place, iu a hollow, con*
taining Mellor, Xew Mills, Hayfiekl, Charlesworth,
Whittield, curs., Beard, Chinley, Chisworth, Cha-
nall, Dinting, and 7 other tnshps. Acres 49,960 ;
pop. 22,898 + 481, cotton, cloth, and paper manu-
facturers ; houses , with chapels, banks, savings
bk. (92107. from 330 depositors), bleach and print
works, foundries, Hague's free-school (37/.), and
Union p. house ; poor r. 64387. ; real prop. 20,7057. ;
charities 2837. All Saints Vic. (Lich.) val. 1147.,
patr. Trustees; church, ancient, with tomb of
Hague, of Park Hall. Melandra Cast, is a roman
camp by R. Mersey, near the old way to Brough.
G. Hall, T. Ellison, Esq. Glos. P. L. Union, con-
tains the above par. and its tnshps. (except Hay-
field, Beard, Mellor) ; acres 20,807, pop. 14,575,
cases relieved (1846-7) 428 (out-door 378), ex-
pend. 9687., prop, rated 29,1557. It belongs to
Hayfield Eegistry. The New County Court dis-
trict includes the' Registry except Disley, Beard,
Ollerset, Whittle, Thornsett, which go to Chapel-
le-Frith. Fair, 6 May, cattle, etc.
Gloster (42) near Shiurone, <S W. King's Co. on
R. Brosna, Col. Lloyd.
GLOSTEK-HILL tnshp. ( ) Warkworth par.
E. Northmbrld. 7m. SE. of Alnwick-308, at R.
Coquet's mouth, is a seat of H. Dand, Esq. Pop.
18; poor r. 187. (Alnw. U.).
Glotta, or Clotta, Fluv., of Ptolemy, is the Clyde,
with G. Insula, Bute or Arran, at the mouth.
GLOUCESTERSHIRE (34-5, 43-4) a seaside
county, S W. England, at the top of Bristol Chan,
between the Avon and Wye, was the seat of the
Dobuni in Flavia Ceesariensis of the Romans (who
made Cirencester their capital), and part of a dio-
cese called Wiccia in the saxon kingdom ofMercia,
is watered by the Sabrina, or Severn (for 60 m.),
etc., traversed by the Fosseway, Ermine St., and
Via Julia, by the Cotswolds, by the Tham. and
Sev., and the Glo'ster canals, and by the Gt.West.
and Brist. and Birm. rails., and bordered by
Worcest. (N.), Warwk. (NE.), Oxfd. (E.), the
Thames and Berks. (SE.), Wilts. (S.), the Avon
and Somerset. (SW.), the Wye and Monmo" (W.),
Herefd. (NW.). Length from Bristol to Prescot
Pk. 64 m., greatest breadth 43, av. ditto 20 ;
relative size 218-10,000ths; circuit about 245
(but very irregular), including 10 m. of coast
from Pill, at the Avon's mouth, through King's
Road (5 to 10 fath. water) to Aust ferry, beyond
which the Severn is full of sands, and is navi-
gable only with the tide, which rises 30 to 40 ft.,
frequently with a ' bore ' which does great
harm. It contains 1258 sq. m., or 805,120 acres
(790,470 by addition of pars.), of which 750,000
are arable, meadow, etc., and 48,000 unprofitable ;
431,383+10,344 persons, of whom 196,413 are in
Bristol, Cheltenham, Glo'ster, Forest of Dean,
225,840 are females, 193,988 under 20 yrs. of age,
342,415 county-born, 65,016, or 151 per cent,
live by trade, manufact, etc., 31,270, or 7-2 per
cent., by agricult. (4953 being farmers and gra-
ziers), 5396 educated professions, 16,002 indepen-
dent, 77,422 labourers and servants, etc. ; 81,016
houses, besides 6577 empty and building; 27
hundreds in 2 divisions, the E. Dlv. containing
Bisley (Mid.), Bradley (E.), Brightwell's Bar-
row (SE.), Cheltenham and Cleeve (N.), Crow-
thorne (S.), Upper and Lower Deerhurst, and
Up. Midi and Low. Dudstone (N.), Up. and Low.
Kiftsgate (NE.), Longtree (S.), Rapsgate (Mid.),
Up. and Low. Slaughter (E.), Up. and Low.
Tewkesbury, and Tibaldstone (N.), Up. and Low.
Westminster (NE.), Up. and Low. Whitstone
(Mid.), the W. Div. containing Up. and Low.
Berkeley (SW.), Bledisloe (W.), Botloe (W.), St.
Briavcll's (W.), Up. and Low. Grumbald's Ash,
and Up. and Low. Henbury (SW.), Lancaster
duchy (NW.),Up. and Low. Langley, and Puckle-
church, and Up. and Low. Thornbury (SW.), West-
bury ( W.), Barton Regis (SW.) ; 337 pars, besides
partsof 5 others, and 10 ext. par. places ; about 1230
vils., hmlts., etc. ; 25 market towns, Glo'ster (e.)
the capital, etc., as below, Cheltenham (e.), Ciren-
cester or Ci'ster (e.), Dursley (w.~), Newent (w.),
Northleach (e.), Ch. Sodbury (w.), Stow (e.),
Stroud (e.), Tewkesbury (e.), Thornbnry (ir.),
Winchcomb, Newnham (it'.), Tetbury, Berkeley
(w.\ Ch. Campden (e.), Coleford (W.), Faiiford,
Marshfield, Minchinhampton (e.), Mitcheldean
Painswick, Wickwar, Wotton-under-Edge (&.),
the first 12 with Tetbury, Clifton, Westbury,
Wheatenhurst, being poor law unions, with
the same and Bristol (which usually goes with
Somerset.), sup. registries, and the first 13 with
Bristol, new county courts ; returns eleven mem-
bers to parl., viz., 2 for E. Div. (pop. 187,210,
elect. 7803), with Glo'ster for elect, town, and
those above marked (e.~), with Bisley, Avening,
Stonehouse, for pol. places, 2 for W. Div. (pop.
224,096, el. 7601), with Wotton for el. town, and
those marked (w.), with Abson, Felton, Siston,
Wick, Yate, for polling places, 2 each for
Glo'ster (as below), Ci'ster (el. 478), Tewkesbury
(el. 407), Stroud new boro' (el. 1210), and 1 for
Cheltenham new boro' (el. 2345) ; is governed by
a lord lieut. and custos. about 60 deputy lieuts.,
and 390 magistrates; is in the Oxford circuit
(the assizes and qr. sessions being at Glo'ster),
and the Home military district ; and constitutes
2 archdeaconries (as below), in the dioc. of Glost.
and Brist, province of Canterbury. Real prop.
(1815) 1,315,7267., -('43) 2,074,ol57, of which
23,7667. on mines and quarries, 96997. on iron-
works, 13,924/. on canals and rails. ; ditto rentals
874,2697. or 21s. S^d. per acre (when wheat was
77sA and 1,221,1257. or 27s. Wd. per acre (wheat
56s.) ; county income ('48) 54,7417., of which
23,1827. from co. rate (on a val. of 138,3287. made
1844), 15,8977. from police r., 70771. from the
Treasury. Poor r. (1846-7) for 16 unions, 158,310/.
on 1,872,0977. or Is. M. in the (wheat being
59s.), cases relieved 34,844 (out-door 31,357),
in estimated pop. of 353,297. Total charities
19,4607. of which 69027. for schools and education
(23587. for gram. sch.). Savings bks. ('49) 15, with
853,1287. from 27,513 depositors; in 1838-9,
3148 m. of road (719 being turnpike) were main-
tained for 27,8097. In '46-7, out of 396 pars.
362 had 660 church schools supported by 23,1337.
with 37,755 child, attending, and 943 paid
teachers (167 being monitors) whose salaries
were 17,5017., and who had 269 teachers' houses :
out of these 33 were free schools, and 131 snnd.
sch. (exclusively, with 1279 teachers and 13,214
child.) ; and 226 in union with the National Soc.
had 18,066 child, and total grants of 76747. Of-
fenders in '48, including Bristol, 1042 (or 1003
av. of 5 yrs.), of whom 788 were convicted, 188
were females, 52 under 15 yrs. of age, 276 could
not read or write. Following the Sup. Registry
districts of '45 (total pop. 395,533 + 4084) the
' births ' were 12,253, of whom 6060 were females,
811 or 6-6 per cent, illegit; 'deaths' 8364, or
1 in 46, the all-England av. being the same ;
' marriages ' 3800 (at church 3200), of which 2578
persons, or 33'8 per cent., signed with marks.
A bed of lias runs through from about Bath,
Bitton, etc. (where ' bath stone' is got) to Glou-
cester, and along E. side of Severn, rising 700 to
1000 ft. at the Cotswolds (shale, marlstone.etc.), the
highest points being Symond's Hill 795 ft., Cleave
Hill 1134 ft, Broadway Tower 1086 ft., Donning-
ton Hill 883 ft., and Churchdown, near Glo'stcr,
2550ft. (?); oolite, or gypsum, lies on the E.
side of this, and the W. is occupied by old and
new red sandstone (lower red about Newent),
with a coal bed in Dean Forest (10 m. by 4, and
veins 2 to 5 ft. thick), and another from Bristol
to Kingswood (10 m. by 2), both edged with car-
boniferous limestone. Iron is worked in Forest
of Dean (15,000 tons per an.), Iron Acton, Bitton,
Stone, Lydney, etc. ; coal (employing 2756 hands)
in the Forest, Newent, and at Kingswood, Wester-
leigh, Mangotsfield, Bitton, Pucklechurch, Lys-
ton, Iron Acton, Wyke, Abson, etc. ; limestone,
with many fossils, in the Forest, Cromhall, Aust,
Sodbury, Westbury, with lead at the last two ;
a little zinc at Redland, Yates, etc.; also traces
of lead, strontian, etc. in other parts, and quartz
4 diamonds ' at Clifton ; stone is quarried in the
Cotswold, Thornbury (toadstone), Dursley (puff-
stone, which hardens in the air), Dagham Down
(curiously marked), Gotham, Painswick, etc.
Woollen cloths (about 6570 hands) are spun,
made, and dyed at Bisley, N. Hampton, Stroud,
Painswick, Woodchester, Hurley, K. Stanley,
Dursley, Wotten-under-Edge, Uley, Northlcach,
Rodboro', etc., but the manufact. is declining;
hats (984 hands) at Frampton-Cotterell, Puckle-
church, Bitton, Westerleigh ; cotton (940 hands)
at Bristol, etc. ; pins (524) at Glo'ster ; iron,
sugar, glass, etc. at Bristol ; stockings, lace, at
Tewkesbury; curriers' knives at Ci'ster, and
tools at Coaley (?) : in 1847, a bad year, 1530,
5308, 95, and 497 hands were in the cotton, wool-
len, flax, and silk mills respectively. The small
rivers are the Frome, Wye, Thames (which rises
under the Cotswolds), Calne, Windrush, Ledden ;
and there are good mineral springs at Chelten-
ham, Walton, Clifton, and near Glo'ster. As to
soil, etc. the county is divided into three districts,
i. e. the Forest (43,000 acres), where oak and
beech timber abound, and the styre apple is
grown in the orchards ; the Hill, or Cotswold
(about 200,000 acres), chiefly meadow, and
sheep farms (200 to 1000 acres), with a dry,
chalky, or sandy soil mixed with gravel, and
growing corn (16 to 20 bush, per acre), barley
(32 bush.), turnips, sainfoin, etc., wages being
6 to 7s., and harvest a fortnight later ; the Vale
of the Severn under the Cotswolds, nearly all
dairy land, thickly hedged, and including the
vales of Evesham, of Glo'ster, 60,000 acres of
rich loam, in ridges, growing much fruit, wheat
(24 to 28 bush.), barley (40 bush.), oats, beans (20
to 30 bush.), turnips, potatoes, with good water
meadows by the river, producing 2A tons per
acre, and of Berkeley, 50,000 ac., the most fer-
tile, growing corn, beech, etc., with orchards, and
formerly vineyards, but now chiefly grass land
for butter and double glo'ster cheese. Stock of
sheep of various choice breeds, about 550,000,
yielding 15,550 wool-packs ; Berkshire swine are
reared, and the cattle, chiefly a good native
breed, are fatted with oil-cake, each cow pro-
ducing yearly 3 to 4 cwt. of cheese, which is
made between May and July, or later, and co-
loured with anotto, but much 'glo'ster' really
comes from Wilts. System of agriculture, mid-
dling, but improving ; several estates are large,
and farms are of all sizes, mostly from 200 to 500
acres, some on leases from 7 to 21 yrs. ; enclo-
sures, on the hills, of stone. At Ci'ster is the
agricult. college, near Lord Bathurst's seat.
Among the antiquities are : british camps at
Sponebed, Towberry Hill ; roman at Broad Bar-
row, Woodchester (where a fine pavement, etc.
WITC found by Lysons), Kings Stanley, Bourton-
on-the-Water (on Fosse road), N. Cerney, Lyd-
ney, Aust ferry, Wyke, Grovesend, Iccombe, Old-
bury, Lit. Sodbury, Saperton, etc.; saxon at
Almondbury (or Amberley ?), Dyrham, Meon
hill, Willersley, and the danish ""tingle stone"
in Gatcombe pk. ; abbeys at Lanthony, Ci'ster,
Hayles ; priories at Hasledon, Horsley, Kvnley,
Stanley St. Leonard ; good or old churches at
Ci'ster, Fairford (with stained windows), North-
leach, Elkstone, Tewkesbury, Deerhurst; castles
at Berkeley (where the unhappy Edw. II. was
murdered), Beverstone (the Berkeleys'), St. Bria-
vell's (Fitzwalters'), Sudeley (Botelers'), and
Thornbury. Campden was an old seat of the
Hickeses and Noels; Quenington had a Tem-
plars' preceptory, and there is an old cross at
Iron Acton. Bp. Fox, a pillar of the Reformation,
was born at Dursley, Sir M. Hale at Alderley,
Bradley the astronomer at Sherbourne ( ?), W.
Hastings at Daylesford, Kyrle " the man of Ross"
at Whitehouse, Jenner at Berkeley, and Ci'ster
gives name to the learned monk Richard. At
Tewkesbury, Edw. IV. utterly defeated 1471 the
Lancastrians; and Birdlip Hill has a fine pro-
spect. Chief seats are : Duke of Beaufort Bad-
minton Ph., Earl Bathurst Oakley, E. Fitzhardinge
Berkeley Cast., E. Wemyss Stanway, E. Ellenbo-
rougb. Southam (old), E. Dude Woodchester, Lord
Dynever Barrington Ph., Ld. J. Somerset Hemp-
stead Ho., Ld. de Clifford Kings Weston, Ld. North-
wick Northwick, Ld. Sherborne Sherborne, Ld.
Stowell Stowell, Ld. Redesdale, Batsford, Ld. Slide-
ley Toddington, Musgrave, Bt. Barnsley, Boevy, Bt.
Fiaxley, Guise, Bt. Highnam, Sandys, Bt. Miserdcn,
Cockerell, Bt. Seisincourt, Ricketts, Bt. The Elms,
Hicks, Bt. Whitcom.be, Imhoff, Knt. Daylesford,
Jenner Fust, Knt. Hill Court, Leigh of Addksirop,
Coxwell of Ablington, Corbet of Admington, Fryer
of AUdngton, Dutton of Bibury, Harford of Blaize
Cast., Blagdon of Boddington, Yate of Bromcs-
berrow, Taylor of Clifton, Daubeny of Cote, Bou-
verie of Down Ampney, Estcourt of Estcourt,
Ricardo of Gatcombe, Whittington of Hamsel (of
the lord mayor's family), Sampson of Henbury,
Baker of Hardwicke, L'ysons of Hempstead (the
topographer's family), Taylor of Huntley Lodge,
Kingscote of Kingscote, Trye of Leekhampton,
Bathurst of Lydney Pk., Lewis of Lypiat Pk.,
Clutterbuck of Newark Pk., Shuttleworth of The
Priory, Burton of Radbrook, J. C. Smith of St.
Margaret's, Sheppard of The Ridge, Lawrence of
Sandywell, Ormerod of Sedbury, Craven of Scen-
ington (?), Hartley of Lit. Sodbury, Elton of
Stapleton, Moreton of Tortworth, Hayes of Wick
Ho., Beach of Williamstrip, Gist of Wormingham,
with Present, Rodmartnn (old), etc. The Beau-
fort, Berkeley, White Horse, Cheltenham hounds,
and the Fiaxley, Brookworth, and Norton har-
riers, hunt here. From Ci'ster (anct. Durocorno-
viuni) the Fosseway went S. to Bath (Aquae Salts,
whence Via Julia went by Trajectus, or Aust
ferry, to Wales, and another way went to Speen
and Silchester), and N. to High Cross, the Er-
mine, or Ryknield, went SE. to Speen, and N\V.
to Glo'ster (Gfetwm), Akeman St. Went NE. to
JElia Castra, and another SW. to Trajectus.
Modern roads from Glo'ster are: (1) By Brist.
and Glouc. (broad gauge) rail, to Stoneham 9m.,
Berkeley 15, Wickwar 22^, Yate (near Ch. Sod-
burv) 27, Bristol 37A ; or by road to H:invi< K.- I,
Berkeley 16, Thornbury 24, Bristol 34. (2) By
Gt. West. Union rail, to Storehouse 10J, Stroud
1 2 J, Ci'ster 18, Minety 28, Swindon 36$; or by
Ermine St. to Brimpsficld 8, Ci'ster 17, Crick-
lade 24, Swindon 32. (3) By Binn. and Glost.
(narrow gauge) rail, to Cheltenham 7, Tewkea-
bury 16, thence to Birmingham 53 ; or by road
to Tewkesburv 10, thence to Pershore 18 (Upton
15, Evesham 23). (4) To Shipton 12 (thence to
Northleach 19), Stow 25, Moreton 29. (5) To
Cheltenham 8, Winchcomb 15 (thence to Eves-
ham 25), Chpg. Campden 29, Stratford-on-Avon
38. (6) To Painswick 6, along the Cotswolds
to Stroud 9 (Minchinhampton 13, Tetbury 19,
Malmesbury 24, or Dursley 17, Wootton 19),
Lasboro' 17, Badminton 23, Doddington 27 (Ch.
Sodbury 29), Marshfield 32, Bath 37. (7) To
Newnham (by road or S. Wales rail.) 12, Lydney
20, Chepstow 28. (8) To Mitcheldean 11, thro'
Forest of Dean to Coleford 21, Monmouth 27.
(9) Newent 8, Ledbury 15. A canal also goes
the same way to Ledbury and Hereford, the
Ship Canal 18 m. long from Glo'ster to the Severn
near Berkeley, and Thames and Severn canal
36 m. from Whitminster on the Severn, bv Stroud,
Ci'ster, Cricklade, to the Thames at Lechlade.
About 70 m. of rail, cross the county.
** P. M. & GLOUCESTER city (43) and county
of itself, locally in Dudstone hund. Mid. Gloucest.
on the Gl. and Brist. and Birm. and Gl. rails.
102 m. from London by rail, or 114 by road, the
county, assize, election, and polling town, seat of
a bishopric (since Hen. VIII.), excise collection,
and inland bonding port, on the Severn, was
Caer Glou " bright fort," or " Gloew's fort," of the
Britons, on Ermine and Ryknield Streets, Gle-
vum of the Romans, who settled here under Aulus
Platius, Gleaucestre of the Mercian and W.Sax-
ons, who took it 577 from the Britons, for whom
it was governed by Eldol ; was rebuilt 679 by K.
Wulphere (who found, the abbey) and made a
mint town by Athelstan, and a royal city with
a palace at "Kingsholme, where Edgar, Edmd.
Ironside, and the Confessor lived ; was plundered
by the Danes 836, 877, 997, partly burnt 1087,
by Rob. Curthose, brother of the Conqueror (who
b. the castle) ; seized by Henry III.'s rebellious
barons, but given up 1263 to his son Prince Edw.
who as Edw. I. held, 1278-9, a parl. which passed
the " Statutes of Gloucester ;" and under Massie,
declared against Ch. I., who 1642 besieged it in
person, till it was relieved by the Earl of Essex ;
has returned two members to parl. from Edw. I.,
the bounds under the Reform bill including the old
city (comprising the 7 pars, marked * with parts
of St. Catherine, St. Mary de Lode, and St. Mi-
chael as below), Barton, Littleworth, and N.
and S. Hamlets, no. of electors 1631 (of 10Z.
houses 2954) ; was first chartered by Hen. III.,
and by the new act is divided into 3 wards
(instead of 4) governed by a may. 6 aid. 18
council., with the style of " may. and burgesses
of citv of G. in county of city of G." and revenue
of 6694 Acres of old boro' 680, of new 460,
fertile ; pop. of city 14,152 + 222, in the manufact.
of brushes, nails, pins (which supersedes cloth
since 1626, and employs 187 hands), and in a
prosperous coasting trade ; houses 2352, with 12
churches, 8 chapels, shire hall by Smirke, instead
of the old Booth hall, Tholsey, or townhall, co.
gaol on site of castle, co. infirmary and lunatic asyl.
custom-house, 5 banks, savings bk. (72,342Z. from
2621 depositors), 2 basins, or canal docks ( a new
one is building), gas and water works, 2 markets,
pump-room over a mineral spring, theatre, as-
sembly room, large bell foundry, bridge at W.
gate across Alney isld. where Ironside beat Ca-
nute, Hen. VIII.'s gram, or college school in the
cathedral N. transept, Cooke's crypt gram, school
(of which Corbet, a native divine, was master)
with an exhibition at Pemb. Coll. Oxon., Rich's
boys' blue-coat hosp. (1153/.), St. Bartholomew's
hosp. (1038Z.) reb. 1786, on site of an old priory,
St. Margaret's lepers' hosp. (185Z.), St. M. Mag.
or K. James's lepers' hosp. (155Z.), Cocks' school
(110/.), Nourse's house of industry, Bell's almsh.
(40/.), penitentiary, and Union p. house; assd.
taxes 2352/. ; poor r. 3872/. on 47,323?. ; real prop.
66,5887. of which 5390Z. on ironworks ; charities
3215Z. Livings are : *St. Aldate Cur. (Gl. and
Br.) val. 154Z., patr. Bishop ; *St. Catherine's Cur.
341., Dean and Chap., church, in ruins, part nor-
man (St. Mark Cur. 130/., Bishop); *St. Jno.
Baptist Rect. 150/., Ld. Chancellor, ch. on site
of Athelstane's, which was a sanctuary ; *St. Mary
de Crypt Red. with *St. Owen and All Saints,