Heritors and Kirk session, church, has a spire
174 ft. high ; Kirkfield, Hutchesonstown, and
Laurieston 7., Church Bldg. Society ; Kingston,
7., Subscribers ; Knox's, 7., Proprietors.
P. GORDON par. in the Merse, 5. Berwick.
25 m. WSW. of Berwick, 34 from Edinbro', in-
cluded Durringtonlaws, Bassendean, and West-
ruther, on Rs. Eden and Blackadder, and was
given to the Gordons by Mai. Canmore. Size
7 m. by 3, moory, but cultivated, with sand and
whinstone ; pop. 903 + 2 ; real prop. 55447. ; for
poor 2607. Living (presb. Lawder) val. 1647.,
patr. Crown. At Huntley Wood, etc. are traces of
a seat, and at Rumbletonlaw of a camp.
Gordon Castle, near Fochabers, E. Elgin, on
R. Spey, seat of Duke of Gordon (now D. of Rich-
mond), in the midst of a deer park and large plant-
ations 18 m. round, on the old Hog of Gight, is a
4-storied quadrangle of 568 ft. front, with a tower
90 ft. high (llth cent.)> great dining room,
busts of Homer, Cicero, Pitt, etc., portraits of the
Gordons, Rauffman's 'Peter and Paul,' after
Rheims, ' Ulysses and Calypso,' ' Venus and
Adonis,' 'Abraham and Hagar,' etc., the Ca Ira's
figure-head, a plank of fir 6 feet wide, library,
with many MSS., theatre, etc. gg" G. Lodge,
near Slains, E. Aberdeen. Gordon, Esq. igST
G. PORT vil. Bellie par. NE. Banff. 4 m. NE.
of Fochabers-138. Pop. 457.
Gordonstoun, near , Elgin. Sir W. G. Cum-
GORDONS-TOWN vil. ( ) Aughterless par. N.
Aberdeen. 5 m. NE. of Culsalmond-139. Pop. 98.
GORE HUNDRED (7) N. Middlesex, traversed
by Watling St., contains the pars, of Edgeware,
Harrow-on-the-Hill, Hendon, Kingsbury, Pinner,
and Great and Little Stanmore; acres 28,660,
pop. 12,487, houses 2031.
Gore Court (3) near Sittingbourne, N. Kent,
F. Bradley, Esq. i^ G. Cross (14) 6 m. S. of
Devizes, Mid. Wilts, near G. Farm, on the Ridge
Way. giP G. END hmlt. (3) Birchington par.
NE. Kent, 5 m. W. by S. of Margate, near G. Cliff,
off which lies the G. Patch, or sand, with 5 fath.
water inshore. ^ G. Hall (5) 5 m. ESE. of
Durham, E. Durham. ^" G. Higher ( ) 6 m.
E. of Garstang, Mid. Lancash. gif G. House
(6) at Otham, Mid. Kent, C. Lewin, Esq., for-
merly seat of the Henleys and Homes, of whom
was the bishop. ^ G. Pitts (47) 2 m. SSE. of
Coggeshall, NE. Essex. ^ G. Point ( ) near
Granard, N. Westmeath, A. Walker, Esq.
GOREBRIDGE vil. Temple par. E. Edinbro', 4 m.
S. of Dalkeith-7, on N. Brit. rail, and G. Burn,
which goes by Borthwick Cast, to R. Tyne. Pop.
GOREFIELDS ext. par. (52) Gavhurst par. N.
Bucks. 2 m. NW. of Newport-Pagnel-50.
Goremount (59) near Glenary, 5. Antrim.
P. GOKESBRIDGE vil. (21) Gowran bar. E.
Kilkenny, 10 m. E. of Kilkenny, 67 from Dublin,
a police, revenue, and petty sess. station, on R. Bar-
row, founded by the Gores. Fairs, 18 Jan. 13
Apr. 15 June, 1 Aug. 15 Oct. 18 Dec.
Gorey (4) near Malin, N. Donegal, J. Harvey,
Esq. igSTGoREY vil. Grouville par. I. of Jersey.
GOKEY BARONY (11-2, etc.) NE. Wexford,
contains the pars, of Ballycanew, Kilgorman,
Kilnahne, Kilnenor, Liskinfere, Rossminoge, and
part of Carnew, Crosspatrick, Donaghmore, Ferns,
Inch, Kilcavan, Kilcormick, Kilmakilloge, Kil-
pipe, Kiltrisk, Monamolin, and Toome; acres
81,932, an. val. 50,602Z., pop. 24,281, houses 4089.
P. M. GOREY vil. (7) Kilmakilloge par. in the
above and Ballaghkeen bars. NE. Wexford, 25 m.
NNE, of Wexford, 61 from Dublin, a sessions
and chief police town, found, under charter of
Jas. I. by Bp. Ram, which returned two mem-
bers before the Union, and was taken by the
rebels 1798. Pop. 3365+32, in the butter and
poultry trade ; houses 565, with 2 chapels, court
and mkt. houses, savings bank, loan fund, flour
and cotton mills, fever hosp., and Union p. house.
Living, a Rect. (Os. F. L.) with 2 others, val.
909/., patr. Crown ; church, built 1819, near the
old one, which has a tomb of Bp. Ram, whose
palace was here. Ramsfoot, S. Ram, Esq. near a
seat burnt 1798. Gorey P. L. Union, contains
10 elect divs. in Wexfd. with 24 guardians;
acres 129,854, pop. 39,054, ho. room for 850, cases
relieved (1847-8) 2109 (besides 4705 out-door),
expend. 9919/., prop, rated 94.601Z.
GORGIE vil. 2 m. W. of Edinbro', N. Edin-
bro', has a large tanyard.
Gorham Bury (7) 2 m. WNW. of St. Alban's,
W. Herts., seat of Earl Verulam, was given by
the abbots of St. Alban's to the Gorhams, and by
Hen. VIII. to the Maynards, who sold it to Sir
N. Bacon (father of the great philosopher) who
b. the old seat, where he received Elizabeth, and
of which the hall and tower remain. The new
house, b. 1785 by Sir R. Taylor in the corinthian
style, has many portraits, as Bacon by Van-
somer; Abp. Abbot, Ld. Baltimore, Ld. Treas.
Portland, and others, by Vandyck ; Q. Elizabeth,
Earl of Essex, by Hilliard ; Clarendon, Karl of
Nottingham, by Lely ; Jas. II. by Kneller ; and
GORING par. (13) Langtree hnncl. S. Oxford, a
station on Gt. West. rail. 44 A m. from London,
5m. S. of Wallingford, on the Thames, has re-
mains of an austin nunnery (Hen. II.). Acres
4670, with Springwell mineral water ; pop. 971
+ 4; poor r. 5687. (Bradfield U.) ; real prop.
5934Z. ; charities 1164Z., of which Allnutt's for
alrash. and other purposes 1082/., Lybbe's almsh.
62Z. St. Thomas a Beeket Cur. (Oxon.) val. 146/.,
patr. S. W. Gardiner, Esq. ; church, part norman.
P. GORING par. (9) Poling hund. Arundel
rape, S. Sussex, 2 m. W. of Worthing-56, on the
coast, near Brighton rail. Acres 2120 ; pop. 503 ;
poor r. 326Z. (E. Preston Incorp.) ; real prop.
4179Z. St. Mary Vic. (Chic.) val. 146Z., patr. D.
Lyon, Esq. of "G. House ; church, reb. 1839, by
D. Burton, has brass of J. Cooke (1485). Castle
Goring, Sir P. F. Shelly, Bt.
P. GORLESTON par. (67) Mutford hund. NE.
Suffolk, 2 m. S. of Yarmouth in that boro' (at
R. Yare's mouth, opposite G. Channel, which leads
to Yarmouth Roads), contains Lit. Yarmouth with
its old ruined church. Acres 2G70 ; pop. 3779,
some fishermen ; poor r. 557/. (Mutfd. U.) ; real
prop. 6585Z. St. Andrew Vic. (Xorw.) val. with
S. Town and W. Town 381Z., patr. Rev. H. G.
Sadler; St. Mary Cur. I, Earl of Lichfield;
church, has brass of a knight (1320). Near the
sea are the race-course and the Nelson pillar.
Gorm Loch, about 5 m. SW. of Kiltarlity ( ?),
N. Inverness., 10 m. long, and full of well-flavoured
GORMANSTON vil. (28) Upper Duleek bar. E.
Meath, 7 m. E. of Duleek-22, on Drogheda rail.
Pop. 160. G. Castle, Viscount Gonnanston.
P. GORNALL, UPPER and LOWER, vils. (62)
Sedgley par. S. Stafford. 2 m. NW. of Dudley
-119. Livings are Curs. (Lich) val. 145Z. and
129Z., patr. Vicar and Lord Ward. Pop. in the
Gorf>hwysfa (78) on Menai Strait, Anglesca, a
seat of Lord Lucan.
Gorragh Rivulet (6) Tinnahinch bar. N. Queen's
Co. runs 5 m. N. to R. Clodiagh, near Clonaslee.
GORRAM par. (34) E. Powder hund. Mid. Corn-
wall, 6 m. S. of St. Austle-254, a coast- gd. station,
on G. Haven, near Deadman point and camp, con-
tains Treninick, Trevear, Monegwins, and Tre-
varrick, and had a castle of the Bodrigans. Acres
4660; pop. 1232 + 3, in the coal and pilchard
trade ; poor r. 553Z. (St. Aus. U.) ; real prop. 55C8Z. ;
charities 1Z. St. Goram Vic. (Exet.) val. 258Z.,
patr. Bishop ; church, on a hill, with tombs of
Lady Brannell, etc. Trevenion, S. Gully, Esq.
Gorrovagh Hill ( ) near Inniscarra, Mid. Cork.
Garry Hills, 3 m. NE. of Aberdour, S W. Fife.
Gorse Field ( ) near Manchester, SE. Lan-
cash. T. Cooke, Esq.
GORSLETTA hmlt. (79) Doddleston par. W.
Cheshire, 4 m. SW. of Chester-183. Pop. 52.
GORSTAGE hmlt. (80) Weaverham lordshp.
Mid. Cheshire, 3 m. WSW. of Northwich-J 74.
P. M. GOUT vil. (122) Killartan bar. S. Gal-
Kay, a sessions, chief police, and revenue town,
18 m. SE. of Galway, 124 from Dublin, belongs
to Visct. Gort, of Loughcooter Castle. Pop. 3056,
decreasing; houses 499, with Kilmacduagh church,
chapel, court-house, bridewell, barracks for 100
men, infirmary, flour mill. Gort P. L. Union,
contains 10 elect, divs. in Galway and Clare,
with 18 guardians; acres 128,941, pop. 43,543,
ho. room for 1050, cases relieved (1847-8) 8960
(besides 13,804 out-door), expend. 19,127/., prop,
rated 53,037/. A subterranean stream runs down
from L. Cooter to Kinvarrabay. Mkt. D. Sat.
Fairs, 17 Mar. 10 May, 11 Aug. 7 Nov. pigs, sheep.
Gort (45) 8 m. NW. of Athlone, S. Roscmn.
GOKTEEN vil. (44) Coolavin bar. S. Sligo, G m.
S. of Ballymote-122. Pop. 177.
Gorten ( ) near Garvagh, E. Londonderry,
J. Lancey, Esq.
P. Gorthlick, or Gortleg, near Inverness, N.
Gorthy, 8 m. W. of Perth, Mid. Perth., G.
P. GORTIN vil. (18) Strabane bar. Mid. Tyrone,
5 m. E. of Newtown-Stewart-119, a pettv sess.
and police station, on It. Nagle, under the Monte-
terloney mountns. Pop. 410; houses 81, with
Low. Badony church, dispensary, school, distil-
lery, and Union p. house. G. House, A. Hamilton,
Esq. ; Beltrim, A. Hamilton, Esq. Fairs, 1st Wed.
every month. Gort. P. L. Union, contains 13
elect, divs. in Tyrone, with 14 guardians ; acres
111,355, pop. 18,747, ho. room for 428, cases re-
lieved (1847-8) 508 (none out-door), expend.
1153/., prop, rated 15,751
Gortlee (53) near Letterkenny, Mid. Donegal,
J. Cockran, Esq.
Gortmore ( ) 4 m. NE. of Brookborough, NE.
Fermanagh, near Fivemiletown, W. Patterson,
Esq. |gp" Gortmore ( ) near Ballymore, W.
Westmeath, A. H. Griffith, Esq.
Gortnagloran Mountain ( ) near L. Carra, W.
Kerry, is the E. end of Macgillacuddys Keeks,
and well wooded.
GortnaJiorna (87) 3 m. SSW. of Ballinasloe,
E. Galway, P. Blake, Esq.
GORTNALUGHOGE limit. (8) Kilmacrenan bar.
N. Donegal, 4 m. N. of Carrickhart-164.
Gortnascreeny (119) 5 m. ESE. of Bantry,
SW. Cork, M. Galway, Esq.
Gartner Abbey ( ) near Crossmolma, 2V. Mayo,
R. Orme, Esq.
P. GORTON chplry. (88) Manchester par. SE.
Lancash. 3 m. ESE.'of Manchester-189, on Shef-
field rail., and Stockport canal. Acres 1350, of
which the reservoirs for supplying Manchester
are 42, with a well 210 ft. deep in the sand-
stone ; pop. 2422, decreasing, in the cotton mills ;
poor r. 372/. (Chorlton U.) ; real prop. 9274/. ;
charities 21. for school, etc. St. James Cur.
(Manch.) val. 1501., patr. Dean and Chap.
Gorton Caves, near Roslin, Mid. Edinbro 1 , the
retreat of Sir A. Ramsey, etc. in Dav. II.'s time.
Gortoral Cottage (37) 5 m. SE. of Florence
Court, S. Fermanagh, A. Maguire, Esq.
Gortran (40) 1 m. ENE. of Newtowubutler,
SE. Fermanagh, J. Crozier, Esq.
GORTROE par. (44-5, 53-4) Barrymore bar.
E. Cork, 3 m. SE. of Rathcormack-142. Acres
9043, with bog and mountain ; an. val. 6046/. ;
pop. 2832. Living, a Rect. (Ck. It. C.) with Dy-
sart, val. 337/., patr. Bishop.
Gorumna Isld. (89, 90^) 17 m. SW. of Ough-
terard, W. Galway, 4 m. long, and 4 wide.
Gorway, or Gwrfai River (78) runs into Mcnai
Straits, near Llanfiiglan, N W. Carnarvon.
GORWYDD fnshp. (57) Llan-ddewi-brefi par.
SE. Cardigan. 3 m. SW. of Tregaron-204, on R.
Teiti, contains Llan-ddewi-brefi. Pop. 608 ; poor
r. 102/. (Trega. U.); real prop. HOC/.
Gorwood (26) 4 m. W. of Torrington, NJV.
GOSBECK par. (50) Bosmere hund. Mid. Suf-
folk, 4 m. E. of Needham-Market-74. Acres
1350; pop. 316; poor r. 141/. (Bosm. U.); real
prop. 233D/. St. Mary Rtct. (Norw.) val. 316/.,
patr. Rev. Attwood.
P. GOSBERTON par. (70) Kirton wap. <S. Lin-
coln. 5 m. N. of Spalding-98, on Risegate Eau,
near Gt. North, rail., contains Cheal, Rightbolt,
Westhorpe, and Risegate. Acres 8820 ; pop. 2120
+ 17 ; poor r. 740Z. (Spald. U.) ; real prop. 18.769/. ;
charities 102/., of which 28/. to Marjorum's school.
St. Peter and Paul Vic. (Line.) val. 130/., patr.
Dean and Chap.
GOSCOTE (EAST) HUNDRED (63, 70-1) N.Lei-
cest. contains the pars, and benefices of Alexton
rect., Ashfordby r., Ashby-Folville vie., Barkby
v., Beeby r., Brookesby r., Cossington r., South
Croxton r., Dalby-Magna ., Dolby-on-the- Wolds
cur., Frisby v., Gaddesby, Grimstone, Hoby r.,
Humberstone v., Launde, Loddington v., Lowesby
., East Norton, Prestwold don., Queensborough
v., Ragdale pec., Ratcliffe v., Rearsby r., Ro-
therby (r. with Hoby), Saxelby ;., Seagrave r.,
Shoby, Sileby v., Skeffington r., Syston v., Thrus-
sington v., Twyford v., Walton r., Wimeswold v.,
and parts of Belgrave v., Hungerton (. with
Thorpe), Rothley, Tilton v., and Tugby . ;
acres 79,830, pop. 19,904, houses 4194. G.
DEANERY, archdy. of Leicester, dioc. of Peterboro",
contains the benefices marked in the hund.
above, with Thurmaston c. G. (WEST) HUN-
DRED, A W. Leicest. contains the town of Mount
Sorrel c., the pars., etc. of Ashby-de-la-Zouch v.,
Beaumanor, Beaumont-Leys, Breedon-on-the-
Hill v., Broadgate ., Charley, Cole-Orton r.,
Diseworth v., Castle Donnington v., Garenden,
Hathern r., Kegworth r., Lockington, Lough-
borough ., Newtown-Linford, Osgathorpe r.,
Seal r., Sheepshed v., Swepstone r., Swithland,
Thorpacre, Thurcaston r., Wanlip r., LongWhat-
ton r., Whitwick v., and parts of Barrow-on-Soar
., Belgrave, Packington ., Ravenstone, and
Rothley v. ; acres 86,560, pop. 48,875, houses
10,012. See ACKLEY DEANERY.
Gosden House (8) 2 m. S. of Guildford, W.
Surrey, J. Sparkes, Esq.
GOSFIELD par. (47) Hinckford hund. N. Essex,
2 m. SW. of Halstead-86, on a branch of R. Colne,
is part of Clare Honour, and comes through the
Veres, Rolfes, Wentworths, Ryches, etc., to Duke
of Buckingham. Acres 2990 ; pop. 653 + 14 ; poor
r. 457/. (Halst. U.) ; real prop. 5224/. ; charities II.
St. Catherine Vic. (Roch.) val. 266/., patr. E. G.
Barnard, Esq., residing at G. Hall, a fine building
partly in the style of Hen. Vll.'s time with
Q. Elizabeth's gallery, portraits, and a carved
mantel-piece with 24 mounted knights ; church,
has 2 chapels, brass of Judge Rolf (1430), old
tombs, etc. G. Place, J. Span-owe, Esq., a meet
for the E. Essex hounds.
P. GOSFOKD hmlt. (45) Kidlington par. Mid.
Oxford. 4 m. N. of Oxford-54, near R. Cherwell.
Acres 280 ; pop. 39.
Gosford Castle (17) near Markethill, Mid. Ar-
magh, Earl Gosford. jy G. House, near Aber-
lady, NW. Haddington, on Frith of Forth, seat
of Earl Wemvss, including the old castle, and a
! gallery of Italian, Flemish, and other masters.
P. G-O8FOKTH par. ( ) Allerdale-above-Der-
I went ward, -S W. Cumbrhl. 5 m. N. of Ravenglass
-279, contains Bolton, Boon Wood, and Newton.
Acres 8400, with building stone ; pop. 1113 + 18 ;
poor r. 1247. (Whitehaven U.) ; real prop. 15437. ;
charities I/. St. Mary Reel. (Ches.) val. 857.,
patr. Senhouse, Esq. ; church, good, with a tall
danish figured pillar, rgp GOSFOKTH par. ( )
E. and W. Castle wards, SE. Northmbrld. 2 m.
N. of Newcastle-275, on a branch of E. Tyne,
contains G. NORTH and SOUTH tnshps. (pop. 132
and 224) which belonged to the Surtees and
Lisles, E. and VV. Brunton, Coxlodge, Fawdon,
and E. and W. Kenton. Acres 6010 ; pop. 3020,
in the collieries ; poor r. 517. (Castle Ward U.) ;
real prop. 32,3507., of which 17,588/. on mines.
St. Nicholas Cur. with Newcastle-on-Tyne. G.
House, Rev. R. H. Brandling, through the above.
P.M. GOSPOUT chplry. (11) Alverstoke par.
SE. Hants, a station on S. West. rail. 90 m. from
London, or 77 by road, and 20 m. SSE. of Win-
chester, a polling place, coast-gd. station, and
fortified port on Portsmouth harb. opposite the
dock-yard, was called God's Port by K. Stephen
(on landing after a storm 1144), and given to
his brother Bp. Henry de Blois, under whose
charter it is governed by 2 constables, etc. Pop.
8862 + 268 ; houses 1354, chiefly within the Lines
or ramparts, which run between Haslar and Forton
lakes, with 4 chapels, mkt. house, house of cor-
rection, workho., theatre, breweries, foundry, bank,
savings bk. (21,7167. from 668 depositors), Royal
Clarence (formerly Weovil) victualling yard for
supplying the navy with provisions (where the
biscuits are 6-sided, and made by machinery),
Forton marine barracks, Priddy's Hard powder
mag. with two old forts near it, Haslar naval
hosp. for 2000 invalids, blockhouse battery and
Monckton fort (both towards Spithead), Peachy's
almsh. (457.); poor r. /. ; real prop. 17,3737,
Holy Trinity Cur. (Win.) val. 228/., patr. Rector,
church, has an organ brought from Canons;
St. Matthew Cur. 1001., Bishop and Rector. There
is a ferry to Common Hard ; and also to Point, by
a floating bridge moved by a steam engine work-
ing on two fixed chains. Mkt. Ds, Tu. Sat.
GOSPORT tythg. (9) Bosham par. S W. Sussex,
3 m. W. of Chichester-62. Pop. 74.
Gossington Hall (35) 4 m. NE. of Berkeley, W.
Gossom End (46) near Berfchampstead, W. Herts.
Gossones (46) 3 m. ENE. of Hemel-Hempstead,
GOSTROW HUNDRED (5) Hastings rape, E.
Sussex, contains the pars, of Brede and Udimore ;
acres 7950, pop. 1634, houses 276.
GOSWICK tnshp. ( ) Holy Island par. Dur-
Jiam, locally in Northmbrld. 6 m. SE. of Berwick,
opposite Holy Isld., belongs to the Askews.
Gotham (81) 4 m. WSW. of Winster, W. Derly.
i?ap GOTHAM par. (71) S. Rushcliffe wap. SW.
Notts. 6 m. SSW. of Nottingham- 124, near Fair-
ham Brook, belonged to the Earl of Mortaigne,
and was proverbial for its ' wise men,' of whom,
in a black letter book by one Andrew Borde (the
original ' merry Andrew ') some facetious stories
are repeated, as, that they once tried to hedge
in a cuckoo, tumbled the cheeses down hill to
find their way to Nottingham market, and fur-
ther, the women being told to wet the meal before
giving it to the pigs, threw it into the well, and
the pigs in after, etc. Acres 2740, moorland,
with gypsum and limestone ; pop. 747, stocking
makers ; poor r. 2257. (Basford U.) ; real prop.
32167. ; charities 27. St. Lawrence Sect. (Line.)
val. 513?., patr. Duke of Portland and others;
GOTHERINGTON limit. (44) Bishop's Cleeve par.
N. Gloucest. 5 m. SE. of Tewkesbury-103. Pop.
381; poor r. 987. ( Winch comb U.) ; real prop.
Gothurst. See GAYHURST, Sucks.
GOTHYLON hmlt. (41) Llanfynyd par. Mid.
Carmarthen. 5 m. NW. of Llandilo-f;uvr-202.
P. GOUDHURST par. (6) Marclen hund. Scray
lathe, S. Kent, 4 m. WNW. of Cranbrook-4^,
near S. East. rail, and R. Rother, on a hill witli
a fine view, had a priory at Stone Crouch or Comb-
well. Acres 9820, with hops ; pop. 2711, once in
the cloth trade ; poor r. 22447. (Cranb. U.) ; real
prop. 13,2867.; charities 997., of which 407. to
Horsemonden's free gram, school. St. Mary Vic.
(Cant.) val. 4327., patr. Dean and Chap. Roch. ;
church, has 3 brasses (from 1420), and tombs of
the Colepepers of Bedgebury, and Campions of
Combwell. Fairs, 26-7 Aug. cattle. G. Gore,
Gougane Barra Lough (80) 12 m. NW. of Dun-
manway, W. Cork, a lonely lake in the mountains,
at the source of the river Lee, containing St.
Finbar's isld. and hermitage.
GOULCEBY, or GOULSBY, par. (83) N. Gartree
wap. Mid. Lincoln. 6 m. N. of Horncastle-134, near
R. Bain, on the Wolds. Acres 1440 ; pop. 347
+ 9; poor r. 1727. (Hornc. U.) ; real prop. 17387. ;
charities 37. Living, a Vic. (Line.) val. 1367.,
patr. M. B. Lister, Esq.
GOULD GKEEX vil. (7) Hillingdon par. W.
Middlesex, 2 m. SE. of Uxbridge-15.
Gould's Heath (13) 2 m. SE. of Wallingford,
GOULDIE vil. Monikie par. S. Forfar. near
Gourdie, near Clunie, E. Perth. D. Kinloch. Esq.
with a fine prospect.
GOURDON vil. Bervie par. SE. Kincardine. 2 m.
S. of Bervie-88, has a small fishing harb. Pop. 390.
P. GOUROCK q. s. par. in Innerkip par. KW.
Renfrew. 2 m. W. of Greenock-66, a burgh of ba-
rony, coast-gd. station, and watering place, in a
fine spot on R. Clyde, where red herrings were
first salted in Scotland. Pop. 2448, fishermen,
etc. Living (presb. Green.) val. 7., patr. Con-
gregation. G. House, Gen. Darrock. G. Bay,
has anchorage in 8 to 10 fath., and here the Ayr
steamer ran down the Comet, Oct. 1825, with the
loss of 50 lives.
GOURTON tnshp. (74) Wrexham par. E. Den-
It'gh. near Wrexham-179. Pop. 51 + 1, iron and
P. GOVAN par. Lower Ward, NW.Lanark. and
NE. Renfrew. 3 m. W. of Glasgow-44, on R.
Clyde, at the floating ferry, where R. Kelvin joins,
includes Patrick (with the Bp's. old country seat)
and part of Kingston. Size 5 m. by 3A, a" fertile
plain, with clay, stone, coal; pop. 7810 + 214, in
the cotton and print works, silk factory, bleach
fields, ship-yards, corn, snuff, paper, chip, and other
mills, of vil. 2474 ; houses 474, with 3 churches,
mills, furnaces, schools, etc. ; real prop. 31,6837.,
of which 21447. on mines and quarries; for poor
83567. Living (presb. Glasg.) val. 3157., patr.
Glasg. University ; Strathbungo, 7., Subscribers.
There are remains of the Pollocks' old castle, and
a law 17 ft. high, and 102 round at the top.
Govan's (St.) Head (38) 6m. S. of Pembroke,
S. Pembroke, a limestone cliff 166 ft. high, with an
old chapel and holy well near it, in a rugged part
of the coast.
GOVERTON hmlt. (71) Bleasby par. Mid. Notts.
3 m. S. of Southwell-132, near R. Trent. Pop.
GOVICK vil. in Harris, Western Islds. I
Goviton (42) 2 m. W. of Abcrgavcnny, NW. \
Go WAN BANK vil. St. Vigcan's par. SE. Far-
far, near Arbroath-62. Pop. 72.
Gowbarroiv Park ( ) 9 m. ESE. of Keswick,
Mid. Cumbrld. on Ulleswater, contains Lyulph's
Tower, a hunting seat of H. Howard, Esq., near
Airy force or fall.
UOWDAJUb tnshp. (87) Snaith par. W. R. York.
I m. W. of Snaith-173, near K. Aire. Acres 1 100 ;
pop. 237; poor r. 111/. (GoolelL); real prop.
GOWER, i. e. Guryr, ' crooked,' a peninsula, S W.
Glamorgan, between Swansea bay and Burry river,
with a broken limestone coast, full of caves,
contains, among other antiquities, Arthur's Stone
cromlech, a chief seat of the druids, on Cefn Bryn,
was overrun 1091-9, by the Normans, who
built Swansea, Orwich, Oystermouth, Penrice,
Lougher, and other castles, and most of the
churches, and settled, after 1108, by the Fle-
mings and Somersetsh. men, whose descendants
are still here. Gower the poet, and Bp. Gower,
were natives ; it gives title of Baron de Broes of
G. to Duke of Norfolk and Earl Fitzhardinge ; and
belongs to Duke of Beaufort (chiefly), the Crown,
Talbot of Penrice, and others. Lead, manganese,
iron ore, are found in the lime.
Gower Hail (57) 4 m. NNE. of Kilrush, SW.
Clare, F. N. Keane, Esq., near Gowerhass Bog, of
1272 acres. tT G. PORT vil. Loth par. 'SE.
Suthrld. 7 m. NE. of Brora-234, in Dornoch Frith,
was found, by the Duke of Sutherland. Pop.
236, fishermen, etc.
GOWKHALL vil. Carnock par. Sty. Fife. 2m.
W. of Dunfermline-16. Pop. 196.
GOWKSHILL vil. Cockpen par. Mid. Edinbrd 1 ,
3 m. S. of Dalkeith-7. Pop. 219.
Gowla Rivulet (51) falls into Bertraghbuy bay,
W. Galway, and is about 4 m. long.
Goivna Lough (G) Granard bar. N. Longford,
and (30, 36) Tullyhunco bar. W. Cavan, about
5 m. long, 4 m. NW. of Granard-65.
GOWRAN BARONY (19-21, etc.) E. Kilkenny,
contains the pars, of Ballylincn,Blackrath,Blanch-
villeskill, Clara, Columbkille, Dunbell, Dungar-
van, Famma, Gowran, Graiguenamanagh, Grange-
silvia, Inistioge, Jerpointabbey, Kilderry, Kilfane,
Kilkieran, Killarney, Kilmacahill, Pleberstown,
Powerstown, Rathcoole, Shankill, St. Martin's,
Thomastown, Tiscoffin, Tullaherin, and part of
Jerpointwest, Kilmadum, Mothill, St. John's, St.
Maul's, Treadingstown, Ullard, Wells, and Wool-
engrange; acres 111,772, an. val. 77,273/., pop.
39,098, houses 6582.
P. GOWRAN par. (20-1, 24-5) in the above bar.
8 m. E. of Kilkenny, 67 from Dublin, a police and
petty sess. station, once a mkt. town and boro',
returning 2 members before the Union, had a
castle built by the Ormondes, which was burnt
1C50 ; was chartered by Jas. I., and is governed
by a nominal protrecvc, etc. Acres 6347, good,
with limestone ; an. val. 7417/. ; pop. 2934 + 15,
of vil. 1169; houses 204, with chapel, dispensary,
Miss Agar's almsh. (20/.), schools. Living, a
Reel. (T. L. 0.) val. 416/., patr. Visct. Clifden of
G. Castle ; church, early cng., part in ruins, with
a font, and mons. of the Butlers and others. Fairs,
8 Mar. 9 May, 10 Aug. 6 Oct. 8 Dec.
Gowrie, a fertile district or carse of R. Tay, E.
Perth, and its branches, below Alyth and Little
Dunkeld, which gave title of earl to'the Ruthvens,
attainted 1600, for the " Gowrie plot," at G. House,
yhich stood on site of the co. hall, Perth.
GOWTIIORPE tnshp. ( ) Bishop Wilton par.
E. R. York. 4m. NNW. of Pocklington-212, is
joined to YOULTHORPE.
GOXHILI, par. (86) N. Yarboro' wap. N. Lin-
coln. 4 m. E. of Barton-on-Humber-166, near G.
Ferry, and Manch. and Line. rail. Acres 5860 ;