Copyright
James A Sharp.

A new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) online

. (page 220 of 293)
Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 220 of 293)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


pop. 892 +9 ; poor r. 401/. (Brigg U.) ; real prop.
6208/. ; charities 13/. All Saints Vic. (Line.) val.
116/., patr. Ld. Chancellor. giT Goxmix par.
( ) N. Holderness wap. E. R. York. 2 m. SVV. of
Hornsea-190. Acres 880; pop. 64; poor r. 401/.
(Skirlaugh U.) ; real prop. 1054/. St. Giles Rect.
(Yk.) val. 284/., patr. Rev. C. Constable.

Goyt River (80) runs from R. Etherow to R.
Mersey, at Stockport, NE. Cheshire.

GOYTRE hmlt. (37) Llanarth par. W. Cardigan.
5 m. SSW. of Aberaeron-192. Acres 3000 ; pop.
240. gg GOYTRE hmlt. (37) Llannon par. S.
Carmarthen. 6 m. N. of Llanelly-217.

GOYTREY par. (36) Upper Abergavenny hund.
Mid. Monmouth. 4 m. NNE. of Pont-y-Pool-149,
near R. Usk and Brecon canal. Acres 3730 ; pop.
567 + 4; poor r. 96/. (Pont-y-P. U.) ; real prop.
2336A ; charities U. St. Peter Rcct. (Llan.) val.
227/., patr. Earl of Abergavenny.

GRABY hmlt. (70) Aslackby par. S. Lincoln.
2 m. SE. of Folkingham-106. Pop. 18.

GRABY, EAST, hmlt. (70) Dowsby par. near the
above. Pop. 17.

Grace Dieu Lodge ( ) near Waterford, NE.
Waterford, J. Anderson, Esq.

Grace's Country, which included NW. Kil-
kenny and part of Queen's Co., a tract 12 m. by 5,
or about 128,000 acres, was the estate of the Grace
family, first acquired by Raymond le Gros, about
1170.

Gracedieu (71) Belton par. NW. Leicest. 5 m.
ENE. of Ashby-de-la-Zouch-115, on Charnwood
Forest canal, seat of C. M. Philipps, Esq., on site
of an austin nunnery found, by Roesia de Verdun
1236-42, which came to the Beaumonts, of whom
was Francis B. the poet, and a native (1586-1616).
Real prop. 2015/.

GRACEDIEU PARK ext. par. (43) Lower Rag-
land hund. NE. Monmouth. 3 m. SW. of Monmo'
-129, had a small cistertian abbey, found. 1226, by
Jno. of Monmouth.

Gracefield, or Shanganagh (25) 6 m. SW. of
Athy, SE. Queen's Co. a seat of the Grace family
of Tullaroan, who once had Grace's country, as
above.

GracehaU (13) 3 m. WSW. of Moira, NW. Ar-
magh, C. Douglass, Esq.

P. GRACEHILL, or BALLYKENNEDY, vil. (37)
Lower Toome bar. W. Antrim, 2 m. NW. of Bal-
lymena-118, on R. Main, is a moravian settlement,
found. 1746, under the O'Neills, with a savings
bank.

Gracious Ford ( ) 5 m. W. of Bampton, N.
Devon.

Graddanstown (21) near Raharney, E. West-
meath.

GRADE par. (32) Kerrier hund. S W. Comu-al/,
9 m. SSE. of Helstone-276, near the Lizard.
Acres 2420 (or 2005), serpentine cliffs ; pop. 333
+ 3; poor r. 111/. (Heist. U.) ; real prop. 2088/.
Holy Cross Rect. (Exet.) val. with Ruan Minor
334/., patr. Rev. C. Rogers and P. V. Robinson,
Esq. ; church, has tombs of the Enerys.

(JriLilie Wati r, runs 6 m. from L. Fannich, Mid.
Ross, to L. Lui chart.

Graemsay Isld. Hoy par. SW. Orkney, 2 in. S.
of Stromness, is 1J in. by 1, and partly cultivated,
with a chapel, and Hov Sound light. Pop. 214.

GRAFKIIAM par. (52} Leightonstone hund. .!//</.
Hunts. 6 m. NNW. of St. Neot's-56, contains
Perry. Acres 2380; pop. 307+2; poor r. Io3

3 K 2



788



GRA



(St. Neot's U.) ; real prop. 19707. ; charities 507.,
of which town lands 331. All Saints Rect. (Ely)
val. 199/., patr. Lady 0. B. Sparrow. i^ GRAFF-
HAM par. (9) Easebourne hund. Chichester rape,
W. Sussex, 4 m. SW. of Midhurst-50, on the
Downs. Acres 1550 ; pop. 390 + 2 ; poor r. 477.
(Westhampnett U.) ; real prop. 12487. ; charities
47. St. Giles Rect. (Chic.) val. 1137,, patr. Bishop
Wilberforce.

* GKAFFOO DEANERY, archdy. and dioc. of
Lincoln, contains the benefices marked in Boothby-
Grafibe hand.

GRAFTON tnshp. (73) Tilston par. S W. Cheshire,
4 m. NNW. of Malpas-lG8. Acres 500 ; pop. 14.
igT GRAFTON hmlt. (44) Beckford par. N.
Gloucester. 6 m. ENE. of Tewkesbury-103, under
Breedon Hill, where a landfall of 16 acres hap-
pened 17G4. Real prop. 13857. *gT GRAFTON
hmlt. (43) All Saints par. Mid. Hereford, near
Hereford-134. Pop. 75. ^g" GRAFTON (55) 5 m.
ENE. of Leominster-137, NE. Hereford. ^
GBAFTON tnshp. (34) Langford par. IV. Oxford.
3 m. SW. of Bampton-in-the-Bush-71, on a
branch of R. Isis, near G. Common. Pop. 73.
l^" GRAFTON (73) 5 m. NW. of Shrewsburv-153,
NW. Salop, on R. Perry. |^ GRAFTON'hmlt.
(54) Exhall par. SW. Warwick. 2 m. SE. of Al-
cester-203. Pop. 79. iJiP GRAFTON par. ( )
Upper Claro wap. W. R. York. 3 m. SSE. of Bo-
roughbridge-208, is joined to MARTON.

GRAFTOX-ARDENS (54) 3 m. SE. of Alcester, W.
Warwick. g=|" G., EAST and WEST, tythg. (14)
Gt. Bedwin par. E. Wilts. 6 m. N. of Ludgershall
-71. Pop. 419. Living, a Cur. (Sal.) val. GO/., patr.
Vicar. gg G.-FLYFORD. See FLYFORD-GRAF-
TON, Worcest. giP G.-MANOR ext. par. (54)
Upper Halfshire bund. NE. Worcester. 2 m. SW. of
Bromsgrove-116, near Birmingham rail., is a meet
for the Worcestersh. hounds, and has remains of an
old seat of the Talbots, burnt 1710, and now
turned into a chapel. Acres 1380 ; pop. 55 + 1.
<^~ G.-REGis par. (52) Cleley hund. S. North-
mptn. 4 m. ESE. of Towcester-60, near Gd. Junct.
canal and N. West, rail., was made an honour by
Hen. VIII., for his son, the ancestor of the Fitz-
roys, who take hence title of duke, and has part
of the seat of the Widvilles, of whom was Earl
Rivers, whose daughter Eliz. was here married to
Edw. IV., and his son Ld. Scales, whose 'Pro-
verbs,' etc. were printed by Caxton. Acres 1510 ;
pop. 266 + 2, lacemakers ; poor r. 122/. (Potters-
pury U.) ; real prop. 22887. St. Mary Rect. (Pet.)
val. with Alderton 2777., patr. Ld. Chancellor.
IgT G.-TEMPLE par. (54) with Arden, Barlich-
way hund. -S W. Warwick. 4 m. W. of Stratford-
on-Avon-96, is Shakspeare's " Hungry Grafton."
Acres 1830 ; pop. 401 + 3 ; poor r. 1207. (Stratf.
U.) ; real prop. 26707. ; charities 11. St. Andrew
Cur. (Wore.) val. 937., patr. F. F. Bullock, Esq.
G. Court, . ifS" G.-UNDERWOOD par. (52)
Huxloe hund. Mid. Northmptn. 3 m. ENE. of
Kettering-74. Acres 2050 ; pop. 281 ; poor r.
118/. (Ketter. U.) ; real prop. 18277. ; charities 1G/.
St. James Rect. (Pet.) val. 241/., patr. Ladies A.
and G. Fitzpatrick.

Crafty Green (6) 9m. SW. of Maidstone, Mid.
Kent.

Graham's Dyke, the common name for Auto-
nine's Wall, Scotland. See Grimes-dyke.

GRAHAMSTON vil. Barony par. NW. Lanark, a
suburb of Glasgow-44. igp GRAHAMSTON vil.
near Neilston, S. Renfrew, in that par. Pop. 706.

P. GRAHAMSTON vil. a suburb of Falkirk, E.
Stirling, near Forth and Clyde canal, on the spot
where Sir John the Graeme fell at the battle of
Falkirk 1298.



GRA

] GRAIG tnshp. (79) Dvmeirehion par. NW.
\ Flint. 3 m. ESE. of St. Asaph-208. Pop. 114.
i 'Craig,' a hill. g3 GRAIG tnshp. (79) New-
1 market par. N.Flint. 5 m. WN\V. of Holy well
! -200. Pop. 505. ^ GRAIG hmlt. (36) B'assa-
leg par. S W. Monmouth. 2 m. SW. of Newport
-148, has a meet for the Monmouthsh. hounds at
G. Hill. Pop. 589 ; poor r. 105/. (Newp. U.) ;
real prop. 23927. The Craig, T. Wakeham, Esq.
g3T GRAIG tnshp. (60) Kerry par. SE. Montgo-
mery, 3 m. ESE. of Newtown-175. Pop. 172.
igaT GRAIG tnshp. (56) Llandegley par. Mid.
Radnor. 5 m. WNW. of Radnor-159, under Cefn
Craig 2163 ft. high, is joined to SWYDD.

Graig Abbey (84) 3 m. NE. of Athenry, Mid.
Galway, J. Clarke, Esq. |^ G. Is and UWCH
tnshps. (75) Llanddwywe par. W. Merioneth. 5 iiu
NN W. of Barmouth-222. Pop. 288 and 98.

Graigavern (9) near Jamestown, N. Queen's Co.
J. Armstrong, Esq.

GRAIGE (49, 50) near Bannow, S W. Wexford.

Graigenoe House (47) 4 m. SW. of Thurles, Mid.
Tipperary, C. Clarke, Esq.

GRAIGUE vil. (37) Slievemargy bar. S. Queen's
Co. a police station opposite Carlow-49, on R.
Barrow, within the boro'. Pop. 1G75, decreasing ;
houses 275, with Killeshin church, chapel, schools,
distiller}', tan-yards, etc. Fairs, 6 Jan. 18 Feb.
1 Apr. 6 Oct.

Graigue (78) near Clonmell, S. Tippery.

P. M. GRAIGUENAMANAGH, or GRAIGUE, par.
(25, 29, 33) Gowran bar. E. Kilkenny, on R. Bar-
row, a petty sess. and police station, 15 m. SE.
of Kilkenny, 77 from Dublin, with remains of a
cistertian abbey, found. 1212 by the Earls of Pem-
broke, and given to the Butlers. Acres 12,422,
with mountain; pop. 5141+40, of vil. 2248
+ 12 ; houses 442, with chapel, mkt. house, dis-
pensary, brewery, flour mills. Living, a Rect.
with Ullard. Brandondale, D. Burtchaell, Esq.
Mkt. Ds. Mond. Thursd. Fairs, 27 Jan. 4 Mar.
7 Apr. 11 May, 11 June, 28 Oct. 26 Nov.

GRAIGWEN parcel (42) Llan-bedr par. SE.
Brecon. 2 m. SE. of Crickhowel-157. Pop. 140.

GRAIN (!SLE OF) ST. JAMES, par. (1) Hoo hund.
Aylesford lathe, N. Kent, 3 m. NN\V. of Queen-
boro'-45, between the Thames, Medway, and
Yantlet creek, opposite Sheerness. Acres 3160,
or 3 m. by 2, pasture, with salt pans ; pop. 337
+ 9; poor r. 156/. (HooU.); real prop. 48237.
Living, a Vic. (Roch.) val. 2987., patr. Rev. G.
Davies, vicar.

Grainger Lodge ( ) near Athlone, SE. Ros-
common, W. E. Grainger, Esq.

GRAIXSBY par. (85) Bradley Haverstoe wap.
NE. Lincoln. 8 m. NNW. of Louth-143. Acres
1390 ; pop. 103 ; poor r. 517. (Louth U.) ; real
prop. 25387. St. Nicholas Rect. (Line.) val. 2857.,
patr. J. Johnson, Esq.

GRAIKTHORPE par. (84) Louth-Eske hund.
NE. Lincoln. 7 m. NE. of Louth-143, contains
Ludney and Wragholme. Acres 4280 ; pop. 556
+ 4 ; poor r. 2337. (Louth U.) ; real prop. 52367. ;
charities 447., of which 207. to LilPs school. St.
Clement Cur. (Line.) val. 1157., patr. Magd. ColL
Camb.

GRAITNEY. See GRETNA, Dumfries.

GRAIZELEY, or GRASLEY, tythg. (121) Sul-
hampstead- Abbots par. S. Berks. 5 m. SW. of
Reading-38. Acres 1400 ; pop. 75.

GRAIZELOUND hmlt (86) Haxey par. NW.
Lincoln. 4 m. S. of Epworth-156. Pop. 210.

GRALLAGH par. (4, 7) W. Baldrothery bar. N.
Dublin, 3 m. SE. of Gavistown-20. Acres 792 ;
pop. 149, decreasing. Living, a Vic. with Holly-
wood.



GRA



GRA



GraUagh Bog ( ) near Frcnchpark, W. Ilcs-
comnum. contains 2591 acres.

Grampian Mountains, W. and N. border of Perth.
and N. border of Forfar., where the rivers divide
off, are a range or ranges of gneiss and granite,
bare and rugged, including Ben Lomond 3195 ft.,
Ben More (near L. Earn) 3870, Ben Lawers 3945,
Schiehallien 3550, Cairn Gower (in Atholl, near
Killicrankie pass) 3690, Ben Anlder, Scarsoch
(centre of the highlands at the Dee's head)
3390, Benuarn More 3589, Glass Mhiel , Loch-
nngar 3815, Hill of Cat , Mt. Battock 3459,
Gaerloch (in Kincardine, near the E. end of the
range) 1890. A main stem, or prong, from Scar-
soch, along the border of Aberdeen, and Banff.,
includes Ben Muc Dhui (highest in the king-
dom) 4390, Cairn Gorm 4095, Ben Avon 3967,
Buck 2376, near which, somewhere at the Ythan's
head, is supposed to be Mons Grampius of Tacitus.

GRAMPOUND. See GRANDPONT, Berks.

P. GRAMPOUND, or GRAAIFOND tnshp. (31)
Creed and Probus pars. Mid. Cornwall, 14 m. SW.
of Bodmin, 260 from London, on R. Fal, a mkt,
town and boro' chartered by Edw. III., returning
2 members (from Edw. VI.) till disfranchised for
corruption 1821. Pop. 607, decreasing; poor r.
231/. (St. Austle U.); real prop. 1127/. St.
Nunn's church, demolished. Fairs, 18 Jan. 11
June, Tuesd. after Ladyday and Michaelmas.

Gramry Isld., in L. Linnhe, JV. Argyll. S. of
Lismore.

GRANARD BARONY (9-11, etc.) NE. Longford,
contains the pars, of Abbeylara, Columbkille, and
part of Clonbrony, Granard and Killoe; acres
66,681, an. val. 39,949/., pop. 30,559, houses
5231.

P. M. GRANARD par. (15-6, etc.) in the above
and Ardagh bars. E. Longford, 14 m. E. of Long-
ford, 65 from Dublin, a chief police and petty sess.
station, near L. Gawnagh, or Erne Head, con-
taining Bunlahy, was burnt by Edw. Bruce 1315,
and under charter of Chas. II. sent two members
to parl. before the Union. Acres 18,272, good,
with limestone; pop. 10,193, decreasing, of vil.
2408 ; houses 383, well built, with chapel, court
and mkt. house, dispensary, the Moat which has a
good view, and Union p. house. Living, a Vic.
(K. C. A.) with 4 others, val. 1587/., patr. F.
Greville, Esq. Erne Head, H. Dopping, Esq.;
Clonfin, J. Thompson, Esq. Gran. P. L. Union,
contains 15 elect, divs. in Longfd. Cavan, West-
meath; acres 132,631, pop. 55,130, ho. room for
700, cases relieved (1847-8) 3799 (besides 14,080
out-door), expend. 12,599/., prop, rated 87.209/.
Mkt. D. Mond. Fairs, 15 Jan. 3 May, 1 Oct.
' Grian-ard,' sun-hill.

GRANBY par. (70) N. Bingham \\ r ap. SE. Notts.
4m. SE. of Bingham- 124, on R. Devon, near
Grantham canal, containing Sutton, belonged to
the Lovells and Savages. Acres 2420, with gyp-
sum; pop. 516 + 17; poor r. 49Z. (Bingh. L'.);
real prop. S245/. ; charities 11. All Saints Vic.
(Line.) val. 123/., patr. Duke of Rutland, who
has the manor, and takes hence the title of mar-
quis. G. Lodge, .

Grand Canal, begun 1765, begins in the Rings-
end docks at Dublin, and supplies DubL, Kildure,
King's Co., Galway, passing Hazelhatch, Sallins
(whence is a branch to Naas and Kilcullen),
Woodville (a branch to Ballinefagh reservoir),
Robertstown (a branch to Miltown, and another
down the Barrow to Rathangan, Monasterevau
which has a sub-branch to Mountmellick and
Athy), Philipstown in Bog of Allen (a branch
to Kilbeggan), Tullamore, Ferbane, Shannon
li.-nbour (a branch 15m. to Ballinasioe).' Length



to R. Shannon 80, and branches 65|, cost
1,861,008/. ; summit level, at Robertstown being-
279 ft. above sea. Total tonnage, inwards (1848)
140,784, chieflj' brick, flour, grain, turf, limestone,
tolls 12,267/. ; tonnage outwards 98,845, chiefly
grain, coal, porter, manure, timber, tolls 10,519/.
Average distance travelled 47 m., and av. toll
Is. lid. per ton; no. of passengers by narrow
iron fly-boats 24,696, fares 5532/. ; vessels load-
ing or discharging in docks, 872. ijif G. Junc-
tion Canal, 90 m. long, cut 1805, 43 ft. broad, 5
deep, rising 190 ft., falling 466, with 98 locks,
begins in the Oxford C. at Braunston, North-
mptn., and following the N. West. rail, passes
Daventry (a branch 1 m.), Gayton (branch,

5 m.), to Northampton, Blisworth, Stoney Strat-
ford Bucks, (branch 1 m., another 10m. to Buck-
ingham), Dinford near Newport-Pagnell, Fenny
Stratford, Leighton Buzzard, Marsworth (branch

6 m. to Aylesbury, another 6J m. to Wendover),
Ivinghoe, Tring (near), Berkhampstead, Box
Moor near Hemel-Hempstead, Watford (branch
2m.), Rickmansworth, Uxbridge Midx., Dray-
ton, Cranford Park (branch 13 in. to Paddingto'n,
City Road, etc.), to the Thames at Brentford.
Ijap" G. Junction Rail, from Birmingham towards
theN.,andnowpartofN.West. rail., is 82|m. long,
was made about 1833-6, cost (the permanent way)
4286Z. per mile, maintained at 250/. per mile, has
198 bridges, 2 tunnels (772 ft.), 22 stations, and
passes Wolverhampton 14m. (440 ft. above sea),
Penkridge 23|, Stafford 29, Whitmore 43, Crewe
53J (branches to Chester and Manchester), Wins-
ford 61, Acton 68, Preston Brook 62 J, Warring-
ton 77|, to Newton Junct. on Liverp. and Manch.
rail. 82i. giT G. Surrey and G. Union Canals.
See Surrey and Union Canals. gif G. Trunk,
or Trent and Mersey Canal, 93 m. long, cut
1777, rising 326 ft., falling 324 ft., with 91 locks,
begins at Preston Brook, Ches., in the Bridgwater
C., passes Northwich, Middlewich (a branch to the
Birm. C.), Sandbach, Church Lawton (where
Macclesf. C. joins), thence by Newcastle-under-
Lyne, Staff d. (branch to Caldon), Stone, Staf-
ford (branch to Worcest.), Burton-on- Trent (a
branch), to Cavenish Bridge, Derby, on the Trent,
near the Derwent's mouth.

GRANDBOROUGH par. (46) Ashendon hund.
N. Bucks. 1 m. S. of Winslow-49. Acres 1560 ;
pop. 345 ; poor r. 292Z. (Winslow U.) ; real prop.
2442/. ,- charities, poor's allotment, etc. St. J.
Baptist Vic. (Lon.) val. 19U, patr. Ld. Chan-
cellor.

GHANDEOROUGII par. (53) Knightlow hund.
E. Waricick. 5 m. S. of Rugby-3, on R. Leam,
contains Woolscott and Calcutt. Acres 4100;
pop. 532 + 1 ; poor r. 222/. (Rugby U.) ; real prop.
7732/. ; charities Gl. St. Paul Vic. (Wore.) val.
185/., patr. Mrs. Halse.

Grandholm, near Aberdeen, SE. Aberdeen. J.
Pat on, Esq.

Grandison Cove ( ) in Dungarvan bav, Mid.
Waterford.

GRANDISON, or GRAUNY, hralt. (43) Iverk bar.
S. Kilkenny, 3m. NW. of Waterford-96, on R,
Suir. Fairs, 12 Apr. 14 May, 4 Sept. 11 Dec.

GKANDPOND, or GRAMPOUND, tythg. ( ) St.
Aldate par. N. Berks, near Oxford-54. Acres 90 ;
pop. 374 ; real prop. 2451/.

Grandtully Castle, 3 m. NW. of Aberfeldy, JV.
Perth. Sir W. D. Stewart, Bt. an ancient seat, the
original of Scott's ' Tully veolan.'

GRANKY par. (38, 40) Kilkea and Moone bars.
S. Kildare, 1 m. SE. of Castledermot-43, has re-
mains of a nunnery found. 1200 by Walter de
Riddlcsford, and given to the St. Legers of

3 K 3



790



GRA



Grangemellon. Acres 5228 ; an. val. 3019Z. ; pop.
1265 + 13. Living, a Vic. with Castledermpt.

Grange ( ) near Ballymoney, NW. Antrim, J.
Holland, Esq. ' Grange,' a barn or granary to
some old abbey or religious house. giP GRANGE
par. (8, 12) Armagh and O'Neilland bars. W. Ar-
magh, 2 m. N. of Armagh-81. Acres 6794, with
lime, stone, and bog ; pop. 3823 + 31, some weavers.
Living, a Cur. (Arm. C.) val. 155/., patr. In-
cumbent of Armagh. Castle Dillon, Sir G. Moli-
neux, Bt. ijap 1 " GRANGE par. 4 m. NE. of Keith
-136, N. Banff, on R. Isla, was given by Will, the
Lion to the abbots of Kinloss, of whose seat
there are remains. Size 6 m. by 5, once forest,
rising 1200 ft. at Knockhill ; pop. 1661, decreas-
ing; real prop. 5302Z. ; for poor 439/. Living
(presb. Strathbogie) val. 165Z., patr. Earl of Fife,
chief heritor. Some remains of danish camps are
seen. Edengight, SirJ. M. Innes,Bt. gap" Grange
(7) 3 m. S. of Prince's Risborough, S. Bucks.
lgfT GRANGE tnshp. (79) Bidstone par. NW.
Cheshire, 1 m. NW. of Birkenhead-199, is joined
to CLAUGHTON. igg" GRANGE tnshp. (79)
W. Kirby par. NW. Cheshire, 7m. WSVV. of
Birkenhead-199, near R. Dee. Acres 1180; pop.
132 + 1 ; poor r. 361. (WirrallU.) ; real prop. 1170Z.
Igip Grange (85) 6 m. SW. of Cork, Mid. Cork.
Igp GRANGE vil. ( ) 4 m. S. by W. of Keswick,
Mid. Cumbrld. on G. Beck, near Derwent Water.
^ Grange (21) 5m. NW. of Honiton, NE.
Devon. E. Drewe, Esq. i^g" GRANGE (16) 3 m.
S. of Wareham, SE. Dorset, in Purbeck Isle.
Living, a Rect. (Sal.) val. I, patr. W. Bond,
Esq., of The Grange, which belonged to Bindon
abbey, and where Capt. Laurence, 1678, saw
in a mirage the appearance of thousands of men
going over G. Hill, igg" GRANGE vil. near St.
Andrew's-41, NE. Fife, in that par. Pop. 84.
tgg" GRANGE par. (85-6, 97-8) Kilconnell and
Loughrea bars. Mid. Galway, 5 m. SW. of Kil-
connell-99. Acres 4768 ; pop. 1038. igg" GRANGE
tnshp. (55) Leintwardine par. NW. Hereford.
7 m. WS VV. of Ludlow-143, belonged to Wigmore
abbey, and is joined to ADFORTON. tgHT GRANGE,
or GRENCH, manor (6) Chatham hund. Aylesford
lathe, N. Kent, a member of the cinque port
of Hastings, belonged to the fams. of Hastings,
and Philpotts and Bamine, both lord mayors.
Acres 230 ; pop. 157. Part of a church b. by
Philpotts stand here. l^gF GRANGE par. (19,
23) Shillelogher bar. Mid. Kilkenny, 3m. SW.
of Kilkenny-72. Acres 1934; pop. 542. G.
House, F. Shearman, Esq. Igp Grange (39)
4 m. SW. of Kinnetty, W. King's Co.. J. Bennett,
Esq. i^T GRANGE vil. (42) Iverk bar. S. Kil-
kenny, 3m. SE. of Pilltown-108. Pop. 240.
IgiP Grange ( ) 2 m. ESE. of Cartmel, N. Lan-
cash. on Morecambe bay, W. Hargreaves, Esq.
IJiT GRANGE par. (36) Glenquin bar. W. Lime-
rick, 2 m. NE. of Newcastle-145, at the old bridge
on R. Deel. Acres 2839, good ; pop. 708, decreas-
ing. Living, a Rect. (Lk. A. A.) val. /., patr.
Earl of Devon. Knockaderry, T. Evans, Esq.
{gP Grange ( ) near Limerick, N. Limerick, T.
O'Grady, Esq. igg" GRANGE vil. Errol par.
SE. Perth. 7 m. E. of Perth-40. Pop. 68. ^
Grange (73) close to Ellesmere, NW. Salop.
UiP GRANGE vil. (5) Carbury bar. N. Sligo, a
revenue and police station, 9m. N. of Sligo-131,
in Mile harbour, on R. Banduff. Pop. 140, decreas-
ing. Fairs, 2 June, 25 Aug. 28 Oct. and 10, 1 1 Dec.
IgT GRANGE vil. (38)Dungaunon bar. E. Tyrone,
3 m. NW. of Sewardstown-104. Pop. 146. Fairs,
28 Mar. 12 Nov. fl^" Grange (54) 4 m. SE. of
Alcester, S W. Warwick, on R. Avon, ^g- Grange
(52) 2 m. S. of Coventry, Mid. Warwick. t&~



GRA

Grange (42) 4m. S. of Wexford, SE. Wexford,
on the harbour, C. W. Palliser, Esq. gig" GRANGE
tnshp. ( ) Swine par. E. R. York. 4 m. SSW. of
Hornsea-190, is joined to BENNINGHOLME. i$iP
GRANGE hmlt. ( ) Low Abbotside tnshp. N. R.
York. 1 m. W. of Askrigg-246.

GRANGE, BEIL, vil. Stenton par. Mid. Hadngtn.
6 m. E. of Haddington- 1 7. Pop. 53. igP G. Burn,
rises above Falkirk, E. Stirling, and runs 8 m. E.
to R. Carron at Grangemouth as below, gap" G.-
CHAPEL ( ) Oswaldkirk par. N. R. York. 2 m.
S. of Helmsley. |^ G. Chine (10) 7 m. SW. of
Newport, I. of Wight, S. Hants, near Brixton.
^T G. Field House ( ) 1 m. NW. of Stockton,
SE. Durham. ^ G. Hall ( ) 5 m. ENE. of
Orton, Mid. Westmrld. near G. Scar. fl3 G.,
High and Low ( ) 1 m. E. of Durham, E. Dur-
ham. i^g G. Hill (35) near Fermoy, NE. Cork,
W. F. Austin, Esq. ^ G. Hill ( ) near Ne-
nagh, N. Tipperary. |gp G. House (18) 4 m.
N. by E. of Cerne Abbas, N. Dorset. |^ G.
House, 2 m. S. of Edinbro', N. Edinb. Sir T. D.
Lauder, Bt. |^ G. House (55) 2 m. NNW. of
Moy, E. Tyrone, J. Greer, Esq. |^T G. Isld. in
the Tay, S. Forfar. has been formed by the soil
brought down by the river. rg" G. 'Mill ( )
near Winster, Mid. Derby. ^g G. Moor ( )



2 m. NW. of Darlington, S. Durham.
MOOR hmlt. ( ) Lower Whitley tnshp. W. R.
York. 1 m. S. of Dewsbury- 3 87. $3 G., New
( ) between Drogheda and Slane, Meath, on
R. Boyne, a druid tumulus of small stones 70 ft.
high, covering 2 acres, first explored 1699, con-
taining a domed chamber 22 ft. diam. and 20 ft.
high, made of great stones, with some basin-
shaped holes, and sculptured marks. A few
bones have been found ; and two coins of Valen-
tinian and Theodosius on the top, outside. The
Grange, J. Murphy, Esq. gig" G. OF LIXDORES
vil. Abdie par. N. Fife. 3 m. N. of Aughtermuchty
-28, belonged to Lindores abbey. Pop. 166. ggp
G.-Rotherman ( ) near Rotherham, W. R. York.
Earl of Effingham.

Grange, The (13) 3 m. NE. of Newbury, S W.
Berks. ^- Grange, The (12) 3 m. NW. of New
Alresford, Mid. Hants, seat of Lord Ashburton,
formerly of the Henleys (who took hence title of
baron), was b. by I. Jones, and is a good speci-
men of his style. igT Grange, The (63) 6 m.
SW. of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, NW. Leicest. W. R.
Walker, Esq. ^ G.- Wood End (63) 7 m.
SW. of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, NW. Leicester. T.
Mowbray, Esq.

Grangebeg (21) near Killucan, E. Westmeath.

GRANGECLARE ext. par. (22) E. Offaly bar.
W. Kildare, 2 m. NW. of Kildare-31. Acre's 533 ;
pop. 70 + 3.

P. Grangecon (20) 5 m. NW. of Baltinglass, W.
Wicklow, P. Mahony, Esq.

GRANGEFORD par. (8) Carlow bar. N. Carlow,
2 m. NW. of Tullow-48, was given to the Pon-
sonbys 1669. Acres 3504; pop. 1027 + 10. Living,
a Rect. with Urglin. gig" Grangeford (37) 4 in.
S. of Athy, S. Kildare.

GRANGEGEETH par. (12-3, 19) Upper Slane bar.
N. Meath, 3 m. N. of Slane-28, belonged to Melli-
font abbey. Acres 4447 ; pop. 1352 + 4. Living,
an impropriate Rect. (Meath) in Marq. of
Drogheda.

GKANGEGORMAN par. (18) Dublin andCoolock
bars. Mid. Dublin, near Dublin, has the gov.
female penitentiary, estab. 1837. Acres 3813 ;
pop. 5643 + 6. Living, a Cur. (Du. G. K.) val. 82/.,
patr. Incumbents of St. Paul's, etc.

GRANGEKILLRF.E par. (23-4) Shillelogher bar.
Mid. Kilkenny, 3 m. SE. of Kilkenny-72. Acres



GRA



791



992; pop. 205 + 6. Living, a Rect. with Burn-
churcli.

GKANGEMAOCOMB, or GIIANOECI.OVAN, par.
(!>, 10) Fassadinin bar. ^V. Kilkenny, 2 m. S. of
1iullyraggel-65. Acres 3486; pop. 1224 + 28.
Living, a Rect. with Bumchurch.

Grangeme/lon (37) 3 in. S. of Athy, S. KUdare,
was the seat of the St. Legers and Burrowcs
families.

GUANGEMOCKI.ER par. (71-2) Slieveardagh
bar. SE. Tipperary, 7 in. N. of Carrick-on-Suir
-113. Acres 2804; pop. 1106+44. Living, an
impropriate Rect. (Ca. E.W. L.) in C. Sutton, Esq.

Grangemore (21) 3 m. NE. of Kellucan, E,
Westmeath, near R. Deel, W. Graham, Esq.

P. GRANGEMOUTH ijj. *. par. in Falkirk and
I'olmont pars. E. Stirling. 3 m. NE. of Stirling
-24, a bonding port, where G. Burn, R. Carron,
and Gt. canal join the Frith of Forth, was found.
1777 by Sir R. Dundas, with good docks and
wharfs for shipping, etc. Pop. 1772, of vil.
1488 + 33, in the coasting trade, ship and rope
yards ; houses 348, with church, chapel, custom-
house, bank, school. Living (presb. Linlithgw.)
val. /., patr. Earl Zetland of Kerse. A fixed
lii/ht, at R. Carron's mouth, 33 ft. high, and seen
10 m., was put up 1847, and steam and other
boats run on the canal to Port Dundas. In 1846,
47 sail of 5880 tons (7 being under 50 t. each)



Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 220 of 293)