and 3 steamers of 56 1. belonged to the port, which
has Stirling and Kincardine for sub-ports ; and
the tonnage Inwards and Outwards, including
repeated voyages, was 'coastwise' 889 sail of
68,049, and 717 of 51,275 tons from and to
' colonies ' 18 of 7374, and 6 of 3112 t from and
to ' foreign ports' 122 of 14,806, and 276 of 28,021 1.
(besides 152 foreigners of 15,479, and 216 of
20,248 t.) ; total customs 21,1047.
GRANGEPANS vil. Carriden par. N. Linlithgnw,
near Borrowstoness-19, on Frith of Forth. Pop.
517. Grange House, J. J. Cadell, Esq.
GitANGEiiosNOLVAN par. (35-8) Kilkee bar. S.
Kildare, 4 m. SE. of Athy-42, had a nunnery.
Acres 1393 ; pop. 107 + 1. Living, a Vic. with
Castledermot. G. House, .
Granges, The ( ) near , Durham, Wilkinson,
GRANGESILVIA par. (21-25) Gowran bar. E.
Kilkenny, contains Goresbridge-66, on R. Barrow.
Acres 4796, with lime and granite ; an. val. 45667. ;
pop. 2413+10. Living, a Rect. (Os. F. L.) val.
4087., patr. Bishop. A druid stone is to be seen.
Doninga, T. Bookey, Esq.
Grannock I^och, near Balmaghie, S. Kirhcudbt.
2J m. by J, with pike, perch, trout.
Granough Rivulet ( ) Athlone bar. Roscomn.
runs to the Shannon, near Athlone. -
GRANSDEN, GREAT, par. (52) Toseland hund.
-S. Hunts. 3 m. SW. of Caxton-49, belonged to
the Fitzalans and Caesars. Acres 3200, woody,
with many fossils, etc. ; pop. 622 + 10; poor r. 4797.
(Caxton II.) ; real prop. 24767. ; charities 647. and
Oley's almshouses. St. Bartholomew Vic. (Ely)
val." 2007., patr. Clare Hall, Camb. G. Park, .
(*af G., LITTLE, par. (52) Longstow hund. S W.
Cambridge. m- S. of the above. Acres 1896 ;
pop. 273 + 2 ; poor r. 1707. (Caxton U.) ; real prop.
17237. ; charities 457., of which 147. to free school.
St. Peter and Paul Rect. (Ely) val. 2087., patr.
GRANSHAW vil. ( ) Trughanacmy bar. Mid.
Kerry, near Milltown-179. Fairs, 15 May, 1 Nov.
GRANSMOOR tnshp. ( ) Agnes Burton par.
E. R. York. 6 m. SW. of Bridlington-206. Acres
1050; pop. 90; poor r. 147. (Bridling. U.); real
GUANSTON par. (40) Dewisland hund. NW
Pembroke. 4 m. SW. of Fishguard-257, near the
coast. Pop. 164 ; poor r. 857. (HaverfordwestU.) ;
real prop. 9947. Living, a Vic. (St Dav.) val.
with St. Nicholas Vic. 7., patr. Bishop ; church,
has tombs of the Harries fams. of Tregwynt and
Granstown (28) near Rathdowney, S. Queen's
Co. R. W. Fitzpatrick, Esq.
Grant Castle, near Cromdale, fiftd. Elgin, on R.
Spey, seat of Earl Seafield.
P. Grant's House, near Ayton, NE. Berwick.
on N. Brit. rail.
Grant, or Grant- Caester of the Saxons, is
CHESTERFORD, or Camborituus of Stukeley.
Granta River. See Cam, Cambridge.
Grantanbrycge of the Saxons, is CAMBRIDGE,
the roman Camboritum or Granta.
GRANTCIIESTER par. (51) Wetherley hund. 5.
Cambridge. 2 m. SW. of Cambridge-50, on R. Cam
or Granta, at or near the roman station (castrum)
above. Acres 1591 ; pop. 606 + 14 ; poor r. 3127.
(Chesterton U.) ; real prop. 40697. ; charities 427.
St. Mary and Andrew Vic. (Ely) val. 2917., patr.
Corp. Chris. Coli. Remains have been found be-
tween this and Chesterton.
GRANTHAM SOKE (70) parts of Kesteven, S W.
Lincoln, contains the pars, of Barkston rect. Belton
r., Braceby vie., Colsterworth, Denton r., Gt. Go-
nerby ., Grantham v., Harlaxton r., London-
thorpe v., Gt. Ponton r., Sapperton r., and part of
S. Stoke ; acres 29,590, pop. 13,606, exempt from
juries; houses 2716. (fr G. DEANERY, archdy.
and dioc. of Line., contains the benefices above,
and those marked in Winnibriggs wap.
## P.M. GRANTHAM par. in the above soke,
22 in. SSW. of Lincoln, 110 from London, on G.
Canal, and Gt. North, rail., near Ermine St.
and R. Witham, a polling and sessions town, and
excise collection, once the seat of a suffragan
bishop, and a mint town under Canute, was a
royal manor mortgaged by Hen. III. to Will, dc
Valence, and was taken 1642 for Ch. I. by Col.
Cavendish ; has returned two members from
Edw. IV. the bounds under the Reform act in-
cluding the par. (comprising the old boro', G.
Grange ext. par. where stood the grey friary
found. 1290, Harrowby with Manthorpe, Spittle-
gate cur. the site of some hosp.) and part of
Somerby, no. of electors 763 (of 107. houses
1936) ; and under the new act is governed by a
may. 4 aid. 12 council, with the style of " aid.
and burgesses of town or boro' of G." and revenue
of 13897. Acres of par. 5560, with a mineral spa,
of old boro' or tnshp. 360 ( ?) ; pop. of par. 8691
+ 127, in the malting and general trade ; houses
1691, with 4 chapels, guildhall and assembly
rooms, gaol, house of correction, 2 banks, saving's
bk. (83,3977. from 2697 depositors), Angel Inn
which was a Templars' preceptory, Bp.'s Fox's free
gram, school (7517.) where Newton was educated,
Hurst's school and almsh. (287.) and Union p.
house; assd. taxes 21967.; poor r. 20207. on
15,2927. ; real prop. 25,1677. of which 97247. on
canal ; charities 13617., of which Curteis' 2257.,
Daw-son's 1797. St. Wulfran Vic. (Line.) val.
with Braceby and Londonthorpe 10067., patr. the
Prebendaries; church (13th cent.} 116 ft. by 80,
had 5 chantries, and includes an old crypt, an 8-
sidnd figured font, Dr. Newcombe's vestry library,
and a fine steeple 273 ft. high. Spittlegate ch.
was b. 1841 by Salvin. One of Q. Eleanor's
crosses stood here ; in 1503, Hen. Vll.'s daughter
Margaret stopped on her way to Scotland ; and
1643, Cromwell with his regiment beat 24 troops
of royalists in his first action. Bp. Still, reputed
3 E 4
author of ' Gammer Gurton's Needle,' and More
the platonist (b. 1614), were natives ; and it
gives title of baron to the Robinsons. G. House,
; Belton, Earl Brownlow. G. Canal, cut 1793,
is 30 m. long, passes Wolsthorpe on a level,
thence falling 147 J ft , by Barkeston Leic. Harby,
Kinoulton Notts. Bingham (a branch) to the
Trent at Nottingham. TheJ&rctse district includes
Grant-ham, Peterl>oro',Whittlesea, March,Upwell,
Wisbeach, Holbeach, Spalding, Stamford,l)eeping,
Bourn, Falkiugham, Donnington, Boston, Tatter-
shall, Sleaford, Newark; and in 1835 had 58
officers, and collected 175,0447. (each collector's
round being 226 m.), of which 145,066?. was on
malt, 15,1367. on licenses, 7421/. on bricks, 3231/.
on soap, 29707. on auctions, and he total no. of
traders (6934) included 3167 in tobacco, 1432 in
tea, 1186 in wine and spirits, 893 brewers and
maltsters, 143 makers of bricks, etc. Granth. P.
L. Union, contains the pars. etc. in the above
soke (except Barkstone) with Bottesford,Croxton,
Harston, Knipton, Muston, Redmile, in Leicest.
and Ancaster, Barrowby, Bassingthorpe, Bitch-
field, Boothby Pagnell, Burton Goggles, Carlt.on
Scroop, Easton*, Little Gonerby and Manthorpe,
Gunby, Haceby, Harrowby*, Haydor, Honington,
Hough-on-the-Hill, Little Humby*, Ingoldsby,
Keisby*, Lenton, Normanton, Osgodby*, Pick-
worth, Little Ponton, Ropsley, Skillington, So-
merby, Spittlegate (where poor ho. is), Stainby,
North Stoke*, Stroxton, Welby, Witham (N. and
S.), Woolsthorpe, Wyville* in Lincoln. ; acres
99,199, pop. 25,619, cases relieved (yr. 1846-7)
1475 (out-door 1205), expend. 72137., prop, rated
153,1567. Sup. Registry comprises the same, ex-
cept those marked *, with Culverthorpe ; pop.
25,615 + 272. The New County Court district
corresponds with the Registry. Mkt. D. Sat.
GRANTLEY tnshp. ( ) Ripon par. W.R.York.
4 m. W. of Ripon-212. Acres 930 ; pop. 246 ;
poor r. 667. ; real prop. 22237. Living, a Cur. with
Winksley. G, House, Lord Grantley.
GRANTON vil. Cramond par. N. Edinbro', 3 m.
NW.'of Edinbro', on Ed. and North, rail, at Frith
of Forth, belonging to Duke of Buccleugh, has
an excellent packet pier 1700 ft. long, by Walker,
with 4 jetties of 60 ft. each, and 10 to 23 ft. water,
besides a fixed light, lat. 55, 59' N., long. 3 15'
W., put up 1845, 33 ft. high, and seen 6 m. A
floating rail, by Napier goes across to Burntis-
P. M. GRANTOWN vil. Cromdale par. E. In-
verness, or Mid. Elgin, 103 m. from Edinbro', on
R. Spey, a justice court, etc. found, by the
Grants, about 1775. Pop. 814; houses 222, with
chapel, town-house and prison, schools, orphans'
hosp., 2 banks. Mkt. D. Frid. Fairs, Mon. after
3rd Wed. Apr., Mon. after 2nd Wed. May and
June, and 1st Frid. June o. s. Mon. after 3rd Th.
July, 16 Aug. and Mon. after Beauly in Aug.
Sept. Oct., Mon. after 2nd Wed. Nov.
GRAPPENHAIX par. (80) Bucklow hund. N.
CJiesIiire, 2 m. SE. of Warrington-184, on Bridg-
water canal, near R. Mersey, contains Latchford
cur. Acres 2550, of town 1540 ; pop. 2948 +34,
and 587 + 14, cotton spinners ; poor r. 1417. ( War-
ringt. U.); real prop. 46227. ; charities 18/., of
which 117. to free school. St. Wilfrid Rect.
(Ches.) val. 5427., patr. T. Greenall, Esq. G.
Hall, W. Hall, Esq. ; G. Hays, T. Pair, Esq.
GRASBY par. (86) S. Yarboro' wap. N. Lincoln.
3m. NW. of Caistor-153, on the Wolds. Acres
1720 ; pop. 374 + 9 ; poor r. 827. (Caist. U.) ; real
prop. 15487. ; charities 27. All Saints Vic. (Line.)
val. 2007., patr. S. Turner, Esq.
Grasholm Isld. (39) 10 m. WNW. of St. Anne's
point, W. Pembroke, with dangerous rocks near it
and a strong tide. g3T Grasholm Isld. 5 m. N.
of Kirkwall, Orkney Islds.
GRASHOLME hmlt. ( ) Lunedale tnshp. N. R.
York. 9 m. NW. of Barnard-Castle-246.
GKASLEY. See GRAIZELEY, Berks.
P. GRASMERE par. ( ) Kendal ward, NW.
Westmrld. 3 m. NW. of Ambleside-276, a quiet
spot on Kend. and Wind. rail, and G. Lake
(which is 4 m. in circuit, with an isld. under
Hulme Crag and other fells), containing Am-
bleside, Langdales, and Rydal curs., near Rydal
head, late seat of Wordsworth, who died here
1850. Acres 24,550 ; pop. 1681, of town 345 ;
poor r. 1077. (Kendal U.); real prop. 10977.;
charities 367., of which 117. to school. St. Oswald
Rect. (Ches.) val. 1097., patr. Lady le Fleming of
Rydal Hall, of whose fam. the old church has
tombs, with some aged pines, sycamores, etc. The
view from Langdale, is described by the poet
"So we descend; and winding round a rock,"
etc. At Dale head the pieracium auricula is
found. Fairs, IstTu. Sept.
Grasmere, or Grassmore, Fell ( ) 6 m. SW. of
Keswick, W. Cumbrld. near Crummock Water.
Grass Farm (7) m. W. of Finchley, N. Mid-
dlesex. 1P G.-GARTII hmlt. ( ) Hugil tnshp.
W. Westmrld. 5 m. SW. of Ambleside-270.
(STG. Hill ( ) 16 m. W. of Wolsingham, W. Dur-
ham, has green spar, and phosphate of lead.
GRASSHOUSES OF THORNTON vil., Glammis
par. S W. Forfar. 5 m. SW. of Forfar-58. Pop. 74.
GRASSINGTON tnshp. ( ) Linton par. W. R.
York. 8 m. N. of Skipton-216, on R. Wharfe.
Acres 4960, with lead, galena, calamine, at G.
Moor ; pop. 1056 ; poor r. 2407. (Skipt. U.) ; real
prop. 6315?., of which 22887. on mines. G. House,
H. Browne, Esq. Fairs, 4 Mar. 24 Apr. 29 June,
26 Sept. cattle, sheep.
GRASSTHORPE tnshp. (83) Marnham par. E.
Notts. 4 m. SE. of Tuxford-137, near the Trent.
Acres 510 ; pop. 94; real prop. 14767.
Grassy Walls, Scone par. E. Perth. 3 m. N. of
Perth, on R. Tay, a roman castram or camp.
Grassyard Hall ( ) 5 m. ENE. of Lancaster,
N. Lancash. J Edmondson, Esq.
GRATELEY par. (14) Upper Andover hund.
NW. Hants. 6 m. WSW. of Andover-63, near
Walbury Park, is the place where Athelstane
held a council 926. Acres 980 ; pop. 141 + 1 ; poor
r. 1047. (Andov. U.) ; real prop. 12597. ; charities
407., of which 57. to Sunday school. St. Leonard
Rect. (Win.) val. 2847., patr. Rev. J. Constable.
Grathwaite ( ) W. side of Windermere, N.
Lancash. near Claife, has a fine sunset view of
GRATTON hmlt. (81) Youlgrave par. W. Derby.
2 m. NW. of Winster-150. Pop. 35. O~ Gratton
(27) 7 m. N. of S. Moulton, N. Devon. R. Roe, Esq.
GRATWICII par. (72) S. Totmonslow hund.
Mid. Stafford. 4 m. WSW. of Uttoxeter-135 ; ou
a branch of R. Trent. Acres 800 ; pop. 119 ; poor
r. 317. (Uttox. U.); real prop. 11047. St. Mary
Rect. (Lich.) val. 123?., patr. Earl Talbot.
Gravale Mountain (11) 8m. SE. of Blessington,
N. Wichlow, 2352 ft. high.
GRAVELEY par. ( ) Papworth hund. SW.
Cambridge. 5 m. NW. of Caxton-50. Acres 1558 ;
pop. 294 + 4; poor r. 1047. (St. Neot's U.) ; real
prop. 16297. ; charities 487., of which 67. to Trotter's
school. St. Botolph Rect. (Ely) val. 3127., patr.
Jesus Coll. G. Lodge, 1 m. N.
GRAVELEY par. (46) Broadwater hund. N.
Herts. 3 m. SE. of Hitchin-34, on the roman way
to Verulam. Acres 2110; pop. 403 + 7; poor r.
10G/. (Hitch. U.); real prop. 28527. St. Mary
Rect. (Roch.) val. with Chivesfield 3917., pair.
Rev. T. F. Green, rector.
-GRAVENEY par. (3) Boughton- under -Bean
hund. Scray lathe, N. Kent, 2 m. ENE. of Fa-
viTsham-47, near R. Swale, belonged to Abp.
Lanfranc at Domesdy.' Acres 1920 ; pop. 214
+ 2 ; poor r. 1317. (Faversh. U.) ; real prop. 44917. ;
charities 1 17. All Saints Vic. with Goodnestone ;
church, has some painted windows, and 4 fine
brakes from 1370 of the Favershams, Doddes,
Martyns (double canopied), etc. who had the
GRAVENHANGER tnshp. (73) Muckleston par.
NE. Salop, 6 m. NE. of Dray ton- 153. Pop. 148.
GRAVEN HURST, LOWER, par. (46) Flitt hund.
S. Beth. 5 m. ESE. of Ampthill-45. Acres 1240 ;
pop. 50 ; poor r. 247. (Ampth. U.) ; real prop. 7.
St. Mary Rect. (Ely) val. 2437., patr. Ld. Chan-
cellor ; church, has a brass to R. de Bilhemore,
who reb. it 1400. i^T G., UPPER, par. as above,
A m. N. Acres 385 ; pop. 373 + 6 ; poor r. 1347. ;
real prop. 33617. St. Giles Cur. (Ely) val. 507.,
Graves' End (47) 4 m. NW. of Bishop's Stort-
ford, NE. Herts.
P. M. GRAVESEND par. (1) Toltingtrough
hund. Aylesford lathe, NW. Kent, a station on
N. Kent rail. 34 m. WNW. of Canterbury, 22
from London by road, or 31 by water, on the
Thames at the "ferry to Tilbury fort, a polling
town, coast-gd. station, thriving watering place,
and sub-port within the port of London, which
ends here, was Gravesham (i. e. the Reeves town)
of ' Domesdy.' when it belonged to Bp. Odo,
afterwards to the Cremilles, Uffords, and St.
Mary's abbey, Tower hill, and now to Earl
Darnley of Cobham ; was burnt by the French
and Spaniards 1380, for which the ' Long ' ferry
to London was granted by Rich. II., and was
again partly burnt 1727 ; was first chartered by
KHz., and under the new act is divided into two
wards, governed by mayor (formerly a ' port-
reeve '), 6 aid. 18 council., with the style of
" may. jurats, and inhab. of the vils. and pars, of
G. and Milton," and revenue of 31657., the new
boro' bounds including part of Northfleet to the
creek. Acres of par. 630, of boro' 1780, fertile,
with good asparagus, etc. in the mkt. gardens ; pop.
6414 + 132, of boro' about 18,000, some in the
shipping trade, rope-makers, ship-builders, pilots,
fishermen, watermen, and many visitors ; houses
in par. 939, in boro' about 28*00. many being
new, especially at Milton, round Windmill hill,
(which has a good prospect), and towards North-
fleet, with proprietary and 3 other chapels
(Princes St. as old as 1717, but restored), town-
hall and mkt. house (reb. 1836, and new front
added), custom-house, excise office, 2 banks, sav-
ings bk. (34,1887. from 1776 depositors), theatre,
ilnatingand other baths, landing pier 160 ft. long,
and made 1833, producing an income of more
than 70007., terrace pier and gardens, near the
battery, which is on the site of an old chantry,
drove, Tivoli, Victoria, Rosherville, and other
gardens, Varchell's free school (857.) reb. and united
to national schools 1835, Pinnock s almsh. (727.)
reb. 1837, and Union p. house; poor r. 20747. on
16,4757. ; real prop. 24,9817. ; charities 1647., with
a share in Plume's for lecture, etc. St. George
Rect. (Roch.) val. 3077., patr. Ld. Chancellor,
church, reb. 1731-3; St. John's proprietary chapel,
7. One of the first passenger steamers on the
river (the ' Kent') went from here 1829, and now
there is a constant communication with London,
direct, and by Blackwall and E. Count, rails.
In 1798, Dodd, an engineer, proposed a tunnel to
Tilbury across G. Reach, which is 3| m. long,
and about 1350 yds. broad (off the town), with
good anchorage ; most outward bound ships stop
here before taking a final leave, and the Downs
pilots come on board ; it swarms with fine shrimps,
and a whale 40 ft. long was caught 1718. A canal
1\ m. joining the Thames and Medway, was cut
to Rochester 1804, and the rail, runs by the side
of it. Will. III. embarked for Holland 1691, and
Geo. I. landed here ; and 24 houses were burnt by
a severe fire 1850. Bps. Rich, and Steph. de
Gravesend were natives ; but 'S Gravesende, the
french writer, who is usually said to be of the
same family, was of Gravensand, Holland. It pub-
lishes the 'Kentish Independent' newspaper, and
is a meet for the W. Kent hounds. Grav. and
Milton P. L. Union, contains the pars, of Graves-
end and Milton ; acres 1280, pop. 15,665, cases
relieved (yr. 1846-7) 1308 (out-door 1100), ex-
pend. 33697., prop, rated 49,0907. Sup. Registry
comprises the same ; pop. 15,670 + 623 : 202 deaths
from cholera in 1849. The New County Court
district includes the Registry, with Northfleet
sub-dist. and the pars, of W. Thurrock, Grays
and Little Thurrock, Chadwell, E. and W. Til-
bury, Muckinge. Mkt. Ds. Wed. Sat. Fairs, 4
May, 24 Oct. horses, etc.
Gravesend ( ) near Castledawson, SE. London-
derry, W. Graves, Esq.
GRAVESHIP, NETHER, tnshp. ( ) Kendal
par. S. Westmrld. near Kendal-262, has an old
stone cross. Pop. 323. Collin Field, A. Yates,
Gray House, near Liff, S. Forfar. Lord Gray.
1^" G. Point ( ) S. side of Belfast lough, N.
Down, near Crawfordsburn.
GRAYINGHAM par. (86) Corringham wap. NW.
Lincoln. 9m. NE. of Gainsboro'-148,near Ermine
St., is a meet for the Brocklesby hounds. Acres
1930 ; pop. 157 + 2 ; poor r. 377. (Gainsb. U.) ; real
prop. 23147. St. Radegund Rect. (Line.) val. 4507.,
patr. Sir J. C. Thorold, Bt.
GRAYRIGG tnshp. ( ) Kendal par. Mid. West-
mrld. 5 m. NE. of Kendal-262, near G. Forest and
R. Lime, came thro' the Windsores and Ducketts
to the Lowthers. Pop. 264 + 2; poor r. 677.
(Kend. U.) ; real prop. 18987. ; charities 167. Liv-
ing, a Cur. (Ches.) val. 1007., patr. Vicar. G.
Hall, in ruins.
P. M. GRAYS THURROCK par. (l)Chaffordhund.
S. Essex, 9 m. SE. of Romford-12, given 1194 by
Rich. I. to Henry de Grey, is a petty sessions
town, with a pier 400 ft. long, on the Thames,
between Fidler's Reach and Northfleet Hope.
Acres 1570 ; pop. 1464 + 22, brickmakers and
limeburners ; houses 257, in a long street, with
Palmer's free school (1227.) ; poor r. 5717. (Orsett
U.) ; real prop. 47547. St. Peter and Paul Vic.
(Roch.) val. 2507., patr. Rev. H. S. Hele, vicar;
church, cruciform, with a new low pointed spire,
A whale 58 ft. long came ashore here Oct. 1849 ;
Belmont Cast., . Mkt. D. Th. Fairs, 23 May,
20 Oct. cattle, etc.
Grays Wood (8) 1 m. NE. of Haslemere, S W.
GRAYSOUTHEN tnshp. ( ) Brigham par. W.
Cumbrld. 3 m. WSVV. of Cockermo'-306, near R,
Derwent. Pop. 584 + 3, colliers, etc. ; poor r. 20 17.
(Cockerm. U.) ; real prop. 46197., of which 17657.
on mines. G. House, 3. Harris, Esq.
GRAYSTOWN par. (53-4) Middlethird and Slie-
vardagh bars. S. Tipperary, 2 m. SW. of Kil-
lenaule-96. Acres 7801, with coal ; pop. 2546
+ 35. Living, a Rect. with Templenciry. Noan,
Taylor, Esq. Fairs, 12 July, 6 Dec."
Graythwaite Hall ( ) near Milnthorp, S. West-
mrld. M. Sandys, Esq.
Grazehill (52) 3 m. N. of Bedford, N. Beds.
Greague Stream (34) Decies-within-Drum bar.
S. Waterford, a branch of the Blackwater, about
4 m. long.
GREAM par. (24, 33) Clanwilliam and Coonagh
bars. E. Limerick, contains Pallasgrean-128, where
the Danes were beaten 960. Acres 7191, with
basalt (rising 8G4 at Knock-na-greine) ; pop.
3755. Living, a Rect. (Ca. E. W. L.) val. 522Z.,
patr. Bishop. Derk, H. Considine, Esq.; D.
O'Grady, Linfield; Sunville, T. Kearney, Esq.
' Grean*' or ' grian,' tl>e sun ; see Grianan.
GREASBROUGH chplry. (87) Rotherham par.
W. R. York. 2 m. NNW. of Rotherham- 15 9, con-
tains Cinder Bridge. Acres 2270 ; pop. 1623 + 33,
in the collieries ; poor r. 518Z. (Rotherh. U.) ; real
prop. 6869Z. ; charities, 337. Living, a Cur. (Yk.)
val. 182Z., patr. Earl Fitzwilliam.
GUEASBY tnshp. (79) W. Kirby and Thurstas-
ton pars. NW. Cheshire, 5m. WSW. of Birken-
head-199. Acres 750 ; pop. 175 + 3 ; poor r. 44Z.
(Wirral U.) ; real prop. 12051.
GREASLEY par. (71) S. Broxtow wap. W.
Notts. 7m. NW. of Nottingham-124, near Notts.
canal and R. Erewash, contains Brinsley, Kim-
berley cur. (with a ruined chapel), Moorgreen,
Newthorpe, Watnall-Cantelope, and Watnall-
Chaworth, was a seat of the Cantelupes, who
found, the castle, and Beauvale priory of which
there are some traces. Acres 8010, being the
third for size; pop. 5184 + 60; poor r. 1369Z.
(Basford U.) ; real prop. 19.605Z., of which 10,477Z.
on mines ; charities 627., of which 377. to Rol-
leston's school. Living, a Vic. (Line.) val. 1347.,
patr. Visct. Melbourne ; church, has tombs of the
GREAT BARR. See BARR, GREAT, Stafd.;
and the like for other names. gif G. Borough
House (8) on Banstead Downs, NE. Surrey,
Hon. Capt. Perceval. HiP G. BRIDGE vil. (62)
Tipton par. S. Stafford. 3 m. NE. of Dudley- 11 9.
Pop. in the collieries. (SF G. COXXELL par.
(-23-4, 28) Connell bar. Mid. Kildare, 2 m. NW.
of Kilcullen-26, contains New Bridge, on R. Liffey,
and a branch of Gd. Canal. Acres 4848, part
marshy ; pop. 2212 + 18. Living, a Cur. (Du. G.
K.) val. with Ladytown 1127., patr. Bishop,
fig- G. Cuts (46) 7 m. N. of St. Alban's, W.
Herts, on Beds, border, i^" G. JDodd Fell ( )
4 m. SE. by E. of Keswick, Mid, Cumhrld.
t= G. Finn (81) a peak in Monsal Dale, NW.
Derliy. near the Wye, with a barrow on it,
160 ft. round. igg" G. Fisher's Bank, N. of the
Dogger Bank, middle of N. Sea, is about 90 m.
long by 30 broad, with 30 to 40 fath. fine white
and yellow sand, rgg" G. HAMLET hmlt. (81 ) Hay-
field" chplry. NW. Derby. 4m. NNW. of Chapel-
le-Frith-167. Pop. 929 ; real prop. 7111Z. giT
G. Isld. (75-6, 87-8) Barrymore bar. E. Cork,
containing COVE, in Cork Harbour, between R.
Lee and Foaty Isld. was called Ard Neimheidth, and
taken by the Barrys 1329 from Ld. Hodnet, of
Belvelly Cast. Size 5 m. by 3, or 13,149 acres, of
clay slate ; an. val. 9758Z. ; pop. . In Clon-
mell old church Wolfe the poet is buried. See
Cr.oxMELL. ^ G. Isld. ( ) in S W. Wexfd.
where R. Suir joins R. Barrow. igiT G. Isld.
( ) in SE. 'Wexford, on Wexford harbour,
tgg- G. Lodge ( ) 3 m. SW. of Farnham, NE.
Hants. C. Wise, Esq., in Alice Halt forest. igT
G. Lodge (6) or Colebrook Park, Tunbridge,
SW. Kent, Sir J. Colebrooke, Bt. |gr G.
Lodge (7) Richmond Park, NE. Surrey.
Great Northern Raihray, which includes tho
London and York, and direct Northern, and sup-
plies Midsx. Herts. Beds. Hunts. Line. Notts. York.,
was opened 1850 (except the ' towns line,' now
making, from Peterboro' to Retford), and goes
from New Cross, London, to Hornsey, Barnet,
Hatfield, Welwyn (a viad. of 42 arches, each
97 ft. high, 30 wide), Hitchin (a branch of
17 m. to Royston, towards Cambridge), Big-
gleswade, St. Neot's, Huntingdon 60 m., Yax-
ley, Peterboro' 102 (a ' loop line ' hence to Spald-
ing 90, Boston 103, Lincoln 163, Retford),
Grantham 105, Newark 148 (on "Notts, and
Lincolnsh. rail.), Retford (on Manch. and Lin-
colnsh. rail., and where the loop line joins), Baw-
try 145, Doncaster 155, Pontefract (on Wakefd.
and Goole line), Burton Salmon, thence by Yk.
and N. Midld. to York ; making 275 m., or, in-
cluding the E. Lincolnsh. (from Boston, to Burgh,
Alford, Louth, Gt. Grimsby), and branches to
Hertford, Hatfield, St. Alban's, I. of Axholme,
about 400 m., with a total capital of 8,537,800Z. ;
reed. (June 1849) 4,853,0627., expend. 4,492,711Z.
It has 14 tunnels of 8269 ft. on the first 109 m.
at Copenhagen Fields, Hornsey, Southgate, Pot-
ter's Bar, also near Hitchin, etc. tgp G. Hock
(81)3 m. ENE. of Buxton, NW. Derby, i^" G.
South, and West. Rail. See Southern and West-
ern Rail. Ireland. (gf" G. Western Railway,
on the broad gauge of 7 ft. includes the main line
to BRISTOL 118m. (which see), and the branches
from Reading to Hungerford 25J, Didcot to Ox-
ford and Rugby , Swindon to Gloucester 37,
Chippenham to Westbury 16, besides the Oxf'd.
Birmghm. Wolverhmptn., and Oxfd. Wore, and
Wolhmptn., and others, either making or to be
made; total capital (1848) 14,300,0007., for 296jm.
(but it is interested in about 900 in.), besides
1,784,222Z. for leased lines; reed. (June 1849)
12.907,194Z., expend. 12,860,223Z. The main line
has 9 tunnels of 22,911 ft., 13 viaducts of 7659 ft.,