Copyright
James A Sharp.

A new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) online

. (page 226 of 293)
Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 226 of 293)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


val. 7517., patr. G. L. Fox, Esq. and Trin. Coll.
Camb.

Guishden Rivulet (80) Costello bar. Mid, Mayo,
runs to R. Moy, near Foxford.

P. GUIST par. (68) Eynsford hund. N.Norfolk,
2 m. NW. of Foulsham-111, near R. Wensum.
Acres 2190; pop. 425 + 6; poor r. 3457. (Mittbrd
U.) ; real prop. 29607. St. Andrew Vic. (Norw.)
val. 1687., patr. Rev. W. N orris.

P. GULANE, or GULLASI, vil. Dirleton par. N.
Huddington. Frith of Forth, near G. Ness, on
Aberlady bay, where iron has been worked, gave
name to the par. up to 1612, and has Go-lyn
(little lake) pool, and a ruined chapel, on the
links or sand downs, where horses are trained.
Pop. 273.

Gulban, or Gulbein, Water, runs 11 m. N. from
L. Ouchan, S. Inverness, to R. Spean, near L.
Laggan.

GULHERWICK, an old par. Orkney Islds. now
part of LERWICK.

Guldford of the Saxons, is GUILDFORD, Sur-
rey.

Gulinllead ( ) on Littermullin isld. SW. Gal-
way, at N. entrance of Galway bay, with a tower
on it.

Gull Stream, between N. Goodwin Sand, and
the Brake oft" Ramsgate, E. Kent, is the N. way
to the Downs, with 5 to 8 fath., passing the Gull
shoal (shaped like that bird, 1 m. long, NW. and
SE. with 17 ft. only in one part) N. Bar, Mid.Bar,
Bunt head, and S. Bar all chalk patches in the
fair way. Near the Bunt hd. is G. Light vessel,
8 fath. with two lanterns, 14 ft. high, seen 7 m.
igT Gull Rock (32) E. side of Mount's Bay, W.
Cornwall, near Mullion.

GULLOM-HOLME hmlt. ( ) Melbourne chplry.
N. Westmrld. 5 m. NNW. of Appleby-270, on
R. Troutbeck. Pop. 20.

Gully Rivulet (22) Clarmallagh bar. Mid. Queen's
Co. falls into R. Nore, near Castle-Durrow.

GULVAL par. (33) Penwith hund. S W. Cornwall,
1 m. NE. of Penzance-281, on Mount's Bay, was
called Lanistley, and given by the Halses to St.
Germain's priory. Acres 3280 (or 3950) fertile,
with granite and schistose, and old tin mines ;
pop. 1941 + 48, in the tanneries, etc.; poor r.
3447. (Penz. U.) ; real prop. 91047. St. Gulval
Vic. (Exet.) val. 4497., patr. Ld. Chancellor.
Rosemorron, G. John, Esq., near the cromlech ;
Chyandower, Bolitho, Esq. At Fosses Moor is
a good mineral well.

GUMBER, THE, ext. par. (9) Slindon par. W.
Sussex, 2 m. WNW. of Arundel-55. Pop. 13.

GUMFRESTON par. (38) Narberth hund. SE.
Pembroke. 8 m. E. of Pembroke-264. Acres 1000,
with a good mineral spa ; pop. 128 + 2 ; poor r. 767.
(Pemb. U.) ; real prop. 1518/. Living, a Rect.
(St. Dav.) val. 14 II., patr. T. Meyrick, Esq.;
church, hid in a grove.

GUMLEY par. (63) Gartree hund. S. Lcicest.
4 m. WNW. of Market Harboro'-83, near Union
canal. Acres 1550, with a mineral spring, and
fox earths ; pop. 240 ; poor r. 182/. (Mkt. Harboro'
U.); real prop. 28:)97. ; charities U. St. Helen
!{<<(. (Pet.) val. 390/., patr. Dean and Chap, of
Lincoln. G. Hall, W. Wilson, having a library,



GUN



809



in which is a Euripides with Milton's, and Ma-
nilius with Bentley's, notes.

Gumscleugh Mountn. 7 m. SE. of Peebles, SE.
Peebles. 2482 ft. high.

GUNBY tnshp. ( ) Bubworth par. E. R. York.
5 m. NW. of Howden-180, on R. Derwent, is joined
to BREIGHTON.

GUNBY, ST. NICHOLAS, par. (70) Beltisloe wap.
SW. Lincoln. 9 m. S. of Grantham-110. Acres
930 ; pop. 166 + 1 ; poor r. 447. (Granth. U.) ; real
prop. 1043/. ; charities, church estate 67. St. Ni-
cholas Rect. with Stainby. iJiT G., ST. PETER,
par. (84) Candleshoe wap. E. Lincoln. 4 m. E. of
Spilsby-129. Acres 600; pop. 58; poor r. 127.
(Spils. U.); real prop. 13127. St. Peter Rect.
(Line.) val. 1707., patr. Duke of Rutland ; the
modern church has brasses of a Massyngberd
(1405, double canopied) and Judge Lodyngton
(1419). G. Hall, P. Massingberd, Esq. built 1700.

Gunfleet Sand, between the Wallet and King's
Chan, off E. Essex, in the Thames going N., is
12 in. long, NE. and SW., 2 m. broad, with a
beacon upon it, and partly dry at low water.

GUNGROG-FAWR tnshp. (60) Pool par. E.
Montgomery, near Welshpool-171, on the Severn
and Ellesmere canal. Pop. 196 ; real prop. 71817.
gaP G.-FECHAN tnshp. (60) Guilsfield par. near
the above. Pop. 121.

GUNHOUSE chplry. (86) W. Halton par. NW.
Lincoln. 4 m. ESE. of Crowle-162. Pop. 86.
Living, a Cur. with W. Halton.

Gunley (60) 3 m. NE. of Montgomery, E.
Montgy., Rev. H. M. Pryce, near Offa's Dyke.

Gunna Isld. between Coll and Tyree islds. W,
Argyll.

Gunners How Fell ( ) near Conistone Water,
NW. Lancash.

Gunnersbury (7) 6 m. W. of London, S.Middle-
sex, seat of late Baroness Rothschild, with cedars
planted by Kent, belonged to Gunyld, Canute's
niece, to Alice Pierce, Edw. III.'s favourite,
the Foswicks, Serjt. Maynard, who built the old
house 1663, and died here, as did Princess Amelia,
Geo. III.'s aunt.

GUNNERSIDE hmlt. ( ) Melbecks tnshp. N. R.
York. 2 m. E. of Muker-252, on R. Swale.

GUNNERTON tnshp. ( ) with Chipchase, Chol-
lerton par. S. Northmbrld. 7 m. NNW. of Hexham
-279, near R. Reed. Pop. 372. Coins have been
found at Moneyhill barrow, near which is a
roman camp.

P. GUNNISLAKE (25) 4 m. S. of Tavistock, W.
Devon., has several ores of copper.

Gunnister Isld. Northmaven par. NW. Shetland.

Guns Isld. (39) 4 m. NE. of Ardglass, E. Down.
a coast-gd. station in L. Strangford.

GUNSBOROUGH vil. (5) Iraghticonner bar. N,
Kerry, 3 m. N W. of Listowel-171. G. House, P.
Mahony, Esq. through the Gun family.

GUNTIIORPE hmlt. (86) Owston par. NW. Lin-
coln. 5 m. N. of Gainsborough- 148, on R. Trent.
Pop. 117. igT GUNTHORPE par. (68) Holt hund.
N. Norfolk, 5 m. ESE. of Walsingham-1 13. Acres
1420 ; pop. 334 + 2 ; poor r. 3217. (Walsingh. U.) ;
real prop. 21057. ; charities, for " blankets " 17.
St. Mary Rect. (Norw.) val. with Bale 5347., patr.
Rev. J.'H. Sparke, rector. Hackford, Rev. J. B.
Collyer. igp GUNTHORPE hmlt (64) Paston par.
NE. Northmptn. 3 m. N. of Peterboro'-81. Pop.
64, igg" GUNTHORPE tnshp. (71) Lowdham par.
S. Notts. 3 m. NNW. of Bingham-124, at the
ferry, on R. Trent. Pop. 349, stocking makers ;
real prop. 25847. |J3" GUNTHORPE tnshp. (64)
Oakham par. W. Rutland. 2 m. S. of Oakham
-95, a decayed place, on R, Gwash. Pop. 8.

GUNTIIWAITE tusbp. (88) Peniston rape. W.R,



810



GUY



York. 7 m. W. of Barnesley-172, seat of Lord
Macdonald, through the Bosvilles. Acres 1080 ;
pop. 6C ; poor r. 321. ; real prop. 9G2Z.

GUNTON par. (68) N. Erpingham hund. NE.
Norfolk, 5 m. S. of Cromer-129. Acres 1060;
pop. 69 ; poor r. 23/. (Erpingh. U.) ; real prop.
1273/. St. Andrew Red. (Norw.) val. with Han-
worth 206Z., patr. Lord Suffield of G. Park.

P. GUNTON par. (67) Mutford hund. NE.
Suffolk, 2 m. N. of Lowestoft-114, near the coast.
Acres 560 ; pop. 77 + 1 ; poor r. 811. (Mutford In-
corp.) ; real prop. 946/. St. Peter Rect. (Norw.)
val. 149Z., patr. Heirs of Fowlers of G. Hall, and
others ; church b. 1700.

GUNVILLE tythg. (15) Tarrant Gunville par.
NE. Dorset. 4 m. NNE. of Blandford-103. G.
Park.

GUNWALLOE par. (32) Kerrier hund. SW.
Cornwall, 4 m. S. of Helstone-276, on the coast.
Acres 1440 (or 1175); pop. 298+1; poor r. 531.
(Heist. U.) ; real prop. 1549/. ; charities 31. St.
Wynwallo Cur. with Cury ; church, ancient, once
half buried by the siliceous sand banks, where
Avery the buccaneer, they say, hid his treasures.

&. Gur Lough (32) 2 m. N. by E. of Bruif, E.
Limerick, where, it is said, the last of the Desmonds
is a captive, is 5 m. round, and has the Desmonds'
Castle on Knockaden isld., also an old church,
and very extensive druid remains of circles,
altars, pillar stones, etc. which spread here and
there over a circuit of 10 m. Large moose deer
bones have been found in the bog.

Gurnet's, or Gurnard's, Head (33) 4 m. WSW.
of St. Ives, W. Cornwall.

GURNEY tythg. (13) Maple Durham par. SE.
Oxford. 4 m. N W. of Reading-38.

Gurney Side (19) 4 m. N. of Shepton-Mallet,
NE. Somerset.

Gurnock Green (47) 4 m. N. of Buntingford,
NE. Herts.

Gurrane ( ) near Bandon, S. Cork, 3. Splaine,
Esq.

Gurrane Bog ( ) 1 m. NW. of Killorglin, Mid.
Kerry, contains 824 acres.

GURTEEN hmlt. (44) Corran bar. S. Sligo, 6 m.
SW. of Ballynagad-1 1 1. ip Gurleen (2, 5) 4 m.
NW. of Parsonstown, N. Tipperary, J. Lalor, Esq.
l^" Gurteen (2) 4 m. E. of Clonmell, N. Water-
ford, J. Power, Esq.

Gurteen House (71) 7 m. WNW. of Fethard,
SE. Tijtperary, Rev. W. Bryan.

Gurtenard (10-1) near Listowel, .ZV. Kerry,
Capt. J. M. Home.

Gurtenroe (105) near Bantry, SE. Cork,
Lalor, Esq.

GuRTH-Gooo tnshp. (79) Abergelc par. NW.
Denbigh, near Abergele-214. Pop. 138.

Gurthmonger ( ) near Borrisokane, N. Tippery.

Gurthray ( ) near Portumna, SE. Galway,
A. O'Kelly, Esq.

GURTLOWNEEN vil. ( ) Tirarill bar. E. Sligo,
near Collooney-r24.

Gurtnamackin Rivulet ( ) Loughrea bar. S.
Galway, rises near L. Rea, and runs NW. to
Kinvarro harbour.

GURW os parcel (41) Ystradgynlais par. SW.
Brecon. 9 m. NNE. of Neath-198.

GUSSAGE tythg. (15) with Minchington,
Handley par. NE. Dorset. 5 m. W. of Cranborne
-93. Pop. 163 ; real prop. 1524/. St. Andrew Cur.
with Handley.

P. GUSSAGE, ALL SAINTS, par. (15) Knowlton
hund. NE. Dorset. 6 m. N. of Wimborne Minster
100, contains Manniugton. Acres 1400 ; pop. 390
+ 2 ; poor r. 156?. (Wimborne U.) ; real prop.
2-11S/. ; charities I/. Living, a Vic. (Sal.) val. 85/.,



patr. Archdn. of Dorset. (1 G., ST. MICHAEL,
par. Badbury hund. as above, 1 m. NW. contains
Sutton and some earthworks. Acres 2650 ; pop.
280 + 5 ; poor r. 82Z. (Wimborne U.) ; real prop.
22677. Living, a Rect. (Sal.) val. 393?., patr.
Lord Portman.

Gusterd Hall (1) 2 m. E. of Rayleigh, S. Essex.

GUSTON par. (3) Bewsborough hund. St. Au-
gustine lathe, E. Kent, 2 m. N. of Dover-71.
Acres 1550 ; pop. 237 + 4 ; poor r. 143Z. (Dover U.) ;
real prop. 1797/. St. Martin Cur. (Cant.) val. 66A,
patr. Archbp.

Guthery (25) 3 m. ESE. of Launceston, W.
Devon.

GUTHLAXTON HUNDRED (53, 63) S. Leicester.
between Watling St. and Fosseway, contains the
pars, (and benefices) of Arnesby vie., Ashby
Magna rect. and Parva ., Bitteswell v., Blaby r.,
Broughton-Astley r., Bruntingthorpe r., Cat-
thorpe r., Cosby v., Cottesbach r., Dunton-Bas-
settt\, Fostonr., Frowlesworth r., Gillmorton r.,
Kilby, North and South Kilworth rs., Kimcote r.,
Leire r., Lutterworth r, Misterton r., Oadby v.,
Peatling Magna v. and Parva r., Shawell r., Swin-
ford v., Westrill, Whetstone (car. with Enderby),
Wigston Magna v., Willoughby -Waterless r., and
parts of Aylestone r., Claybrooke v., Knaploft r.,
St. Margaret and St. Mary ; acres 63,980, pop.
24,502, houses 5284. * G. DEANERY, archdy.
of Leicest., dioc. of Peterboro', contains the bene-
fices marked above, with Aston Flamville r.,
Elmsthorpe r., Enderby v., Glenfield r., Narbo-
rough r., Newton Lindford c., Ratby v., Sapcote r.,
Sharnford r., Stanton Stoney r., Swithland r.,
Thurlaston r.

Guthram Cote (70) 4m. W. of Spalding, S. Lin-
coln, on R. Glen.

GUTHRIE par. 5 m. S. of Brechin-71, Mid. Far-
far, the seat of the Guthries from Jas. III., is in
two pieces 6 m. apart, and has a roman camp.
Size 3300 acres, moory, 500 to 700 ft. high ; pop.
530 ; real prop. 2613/. ; for poor 106Z. Living
(presb. Arbroath) val. 158Z., patr. J. Guthrie,
Esq. of G. House, which includes the old tower
60ft. high, 10 thick, b. by Sir Alex. Guthrie,
who fell at Flodden ; church, was made collegiate
(Jas. HI.) by Ld. Treas. Guthrie.

Gutness Voe, near Sumburgh Head, Shetland
Islds. S. end of Mainland.

GutonHall (66) 6m. SW. by W. of Aylsham,
Mid. Norfolk, on site of Gutlieke-tuna of ' Domesdy.'

GutterheJge Farm (7) 2 m. NW. of Hampstead,
Mid. Middlesex.

Guy's Cliff (bZ) 1 m. NNE. of Warwick, Mid.
Warwick, a fine spot on R. Avon, where Guy of
Warwick (whose cell, and statue 8 ft. high, are
shown) turned hermit after fighting Colebrand
the Dane, and site of chantry found. (Hen. VI.)
by Rich. Beauchamp, of which Ross the anti-
quary was priest, now a stable to G. C. House,
seat of Hon. C. B. Percy, with pictures by Mr. B.
Greathead, Canaletti, Cuyp, Lely, etc., and busts
of the Kembles.

GUYHERN, or GYHERN, chplry. (65) Wis-
beach St. Mary par. N. Cambridge. 5 m. NNW. of
March-85, on Waldersea bank near G. Fen. Pop.
332. Living, a Cur. (Ely) val. 80/., patr. Vicar.

GUYSON, or GUYZANCE, tnshp. ( ) Shilbottle
par. E. Northmbrld. 6 m. SSE. of Alnwick-308,
on R. Coquet, had a small nunnery found, the
12th cent, by R. Tyson, and given to Alnwick
abbey. Pop." 205 + 1 ; poor r. 36Z. (Alnw. U.).

P. GUYTING, POWER or LOWER, par. (44) Lower
Kiftsgate hund. NE.Gloucest. 5 m. SE.of Winch-
comb-95, on the Cotswold, containing G. GRAM >E
limit, seat of Rev. R. Winniatt, Farmcote, and



GUY

Cartlet, had salt pits at Domesdy.' Acres 3380 ;
pop. 672, decreasing ; poor r. 2687. (Winch. U.) ;
real prop. 34767. ; charities 157. St. Michael Vic.
(Gl. and Br.) val. 1241., patr. J. Walker, Esq. ;
church, part norinan. |gf" G. TEMPLE par. as
above, 2 m. N., containing Barton, Ford, and
Kineton, belonged to the Templars. Acres 6180 ;
pop. 523 ; poor r. 3827. ; real prop. 47467. ; chari-
ties, Sunday school 8/. St. Mary Cur. (GL and
Br.) val. 94/., patr. Christ Ch. Oxon. G. House,
G. Talbot, Esq.

GUYZANCE. See GUYSON, Northmbrld.

GWAENYFFYMON tnshp. (74) Llanarmon par.
E. Denbigh. 5 m. ESE. of Ruthin-195. Pop. 171.

GWAENYNOG tnshp. (50) Llanfair Caereimon
par. Mid. Montgomery, near Llanfair-178. Pop.
168 ; real prop. 17457. ^ G.-ISAF tnshp. ( )
Llangyniew par. near the above.

GWAENYSGOR par. (79) Prestatyn hund. NW.
Flint. 7m. NW. of Holy well-200, contains Hwyl-
bren, Garneda, and Llan. Acres 1000, hilly, with
coal and lead ; pop. 355 + 11 ; poor r. 1007. (Holyw.
U.); real prop. 9057. St. Mary .Reef. (St. As.)
val. 1787., patr. Bishop, with a par. register
regularly kept from 1538.

GWAESTEDIA-FAWR tnshp. (56) Nantmel par.
Mid. Radnor. 4 m. ESE. of Rhayader-181, has
some carneddau near the Elain. Pop. 456 ; real
prop. 1743/.

GWALCHMAI vil. (78) Trewalchmai chplry.
Mid. Anglesea, 5 m. W. of Llangefni-247.

Gwanynog (79) 1 m. WSW. of Denbigh, N.
Denbigh, late seat of Rev. Dr. Myddleton (a de-
scendant of Sir Hugh), visited by Johnson, whose
easy chair is kept here.

GWARAFOG limit. (56) Llan-lleon-vel par. N.
Brecon. 7 m. W. of Builth-173. Pop. 72.

Gwash River (64) rises on the W. side of Rut-
land, and runs about 20 m. W. to R. Welland, near
Stamford. The proverb says, " The Gwash and
Welland, shall drown all Holland," in Lincoln.
towards which they run.

Gwastadcoed (59) 3 m. SSW. of Barmouth,
W. Merioneth, on the coast, gap" Gwastadcoed
(60) 5 m. NE. of Machynlleth, W. Montgomery.

GWASTADE hmlt. (41) Talley par. E. Car-
marthen. 7 in. N. of Llandilo-fawr-202. Pop. 165.

Gwayne River (40) rising in Precelly mount n.
N. Pembroke, runs 6 m. W. to the sea at Fish-
guard, where it makes a small harbour.

Gweebara River (31) rises near L. Barra, W.
Donegal, and runs 18 m. SW. to G. Say, which
is 4 m. by 4.

Gweedore Bay (32) in W. Donegal, 9 m. N. of
Dunglow, is about 2 m. wide.

GWEEK (31) St. Martin par. S W.Cornwall, 3 m.
E. by S. of Helston, a small port at the top of
Helford river, in the pilchard and coasting trade.
In 1846, 9 sail of 336 tons (8 being under 50 teach)
belonged to the port, which lies inside of Durgan
isld. ; and the tonnage Inwards and Outwards, in-
cluding repeated voyages, was coastwise ' 104
sail of 6402, and 18 of 721 tons, from and to

4 colonies ' 1 of 562 t., from and to ' foreign ports '

5 foreigners of 1229 1. ; total customs 1215/. Grey
agates are found in the slate.

GWEHELLOG hmlt. ( ) Usk par. Mid.
Monmouth. near Usk-142. Acres 2590; pop.
356 ; poor r. 557. (Pont-y-pool U.) ; real prop.
30057.

GVVEMPE hmlt. (41) Llangendeirne par. S. Car-
marthen. 5 m. SSE. of Carmarthen-218, on R.
Gwendraethvechan. Pop. 261.

GWEN-DDWR, NORTH and SOUTH, par. (42)
Tnlgnrth hund. NE. Brecon. 5 m. SSE. of Builth
- 173, near R. Wve. Pop. 522 + 6 ; poor r. 208/.



GWE



811



(Builth U.) ; real prop. 18397. St. Dubricius Cur.
(St. Dav.) val. 123/., patr. J. Bailey, Esq. M. P.
of Glan Usk Park. From ' Gwen,' fair.

Gwendraeth Fawr and G.Fechan Rivers (37, 41)
rising in Myndd Mawr, run into Carmarthen
bay near Kidwelty, 5. Carmarthen.

GWENLAIS, or GWILLAIS, hmlt. (37) Llandilo-
talybont par. NW. Glamorgan. 4 m. NNE. of
Castell Llwchwr-2 12. Pop. 236.

GWENKAP par. (31) Kerrier hund. SW. Corn-
wall, 3 m. SE. of Redruth-263, containing St.Daye
and Llannarth curs., in the centre of a mining dis-
trict. Acres 7940 (or 5289) killas on granite
and gossan, abounding with tin and copper,
the latter sometimes worked more than 200 fath.
under the sea; pop. 10,794 + 226, in about 20
valuable mines, including the Consolidated, Pol-
dice, and Tresavean ; poor r. 21637. on 18,475/.
(Redr. U.) ; real prop. 61,008/., of which 51,0347.
on mines ; charities 187. St. Wenap Vic. (Exet.)
val. 4827., patr. Dean and Chap. ; church, large
and part norman, with a separate tower, and
tombs of the Beauchamps of Trewince. Between.
Carn Marth barrow and Trebowling camp is G. Pit>
where Wesley used to preach to vast multitudes
on Whit. Monday. Scorier Ho. J. Williams, Esq.
with a large collection of minerals.

GVVENTHREW tnshp. (60) Kerry par. SE. Mont-
gomery. 2m. ESE. of Newtown-175. Pop. 121;
real prop. 37107,

Gwent, or Gwentland, from Gwen, 4 fair,' in
SE. Wales, was the country of the Silures, now
diocese of Llandaff, including Monmouth. or Gwent
proper, Glamorgan, and parts of Hereford., Bre-
con., and Dean Forest, Gloucest. Hence Wentloog
hund. i. e. Gwent Iwg, or fenny, Caer-went, Venta
Silures, and deanery of Groneath, or Gor-wen-
nydd, i. e. the farthest Gwent, now traversed by
the Gwenni.

GWEREDOS tnshp. (78) Gyffin par. NE. Car-
narvon, near Conway-223. Pop. 84.

GWERN-HOWEL ext. par. (74) Islaed hund.
W. Denbigh. 2 m. WSW. of Pentre - Voelas.
Pop. 108.

GWERN AFIELD tnshp. (79) Mold par. Mid. Flint.
near Mold-191, contains Waenrhwyddfyd and
Pantymwyn. Pop. 1084 ; real prop. 42357. Liv-
ing, a Cur. (St. As.) val. 707., patr. Vicar.

Gwernagenny (43) 8 m. SW. of Hereford, S.
Hereford.

GWERNEIGRON tnshp. (79) St. Asaph par.
NW. Flint, near St. Asaph-208. Pop. 38.

GWERNERIM tnshp. (60) Llandinam par. S.
Montgomery. 5 m. WSW. of Newtown-175, on R.
Severn. Pop. 143 ; real prop. 8727.

GWERNESGOB tnshp. (CO) Kerry par. SE.
Montgomery. 2 m. ESE. of Newtown-175. Pop. 64.

GWERNESNEY par. (35) Upper Usk hund. Mid.
Monmouth. 2m. ENE. of Usk-142, near Ohvay
brook. Acres 630 ; pop. 55 ; poor r. 487. (Pont-
y-pool U.) ; real prop. 7117. ; charities, a share in
Usk school. St. Michael Rect. (Llan.) val. 1127.,
i patr. Duke of Beaufort.

GWERNGLEFRYD tnshp. (79) St. Asaph par.
NW. Flint, near St Asaph-208. Pop. 373.

Gwemhailed (74) 4 m. SSE. of Wrexham, SE.
Flint. P. Fletcher, Esq., with a fine view of the
Dee under it.

GWERNHEURN tnshp. (74) Cerrig-y-Druidion
par. S W.Denbigh. 11 m. SW. of Ruthin-195.
Pop. 126.

GWERNNGGO tnshp. (60) Kerry par. SE. Mont'
gomery. 3 m. ESE. of Newtown-175. Pop. 31.

Gwernvale (42) near Crickhowell, K. Brecon.
J. Gwynne, Esq., formerly seat of Croxall,
translated



812



OWE



GWERNYBWLCH tnshp. (60) Cenimes par. W.
Montgomery. 6 m. S. of Dinas-Mowddwy-200,
contains Cemmes. Pop. 515; real prop. 2253/.

Gwernyfed (42) 5 m. SW. of Hay, E. Brecon.
Col. T. Wood.

GWEKNYMYNNYD hmlt. (79) Broncoed tnshp.
Mid. Flint, near Mold-191.

GWERSYLJT tnshp. (73) Gresford par. E. Den-
bigh. 3 m. NNE. of Wrexham-179, on R. Alen and
Wat's dyke. Pop. 969 + 13, some coal miners ;
poor r. 213/. (Wrexh. UA Upper G. House, 3.
Willams, formerly seat of Robinson the royalist ;
Lower G. House, of Shakerley his friend.

GWESPTR tnshp. (79) Llanasaph par. N. Flint.
5 m. N W. of Holywell-200, on R. Dee. Pop. 488.

GWESTYDD tnshp. (60) Llanllwchaiarn par.
SE. Montgomery. 2 m. NE. of Newtown-175.
Pop. 669; real prop. 46117.

GWIDRE hmlt. (41) Llanddansaint par. E.
Carmarthen. 5 m. SE. of Llangadock-195. Pop.
187; real prop. 7467.

GVVILLAIS. See GWENI.AIS, Glamorgan.

GwiUy River (41) runs into R. Towey, at Aber-
Tvilli, Mid. Carmarthen.

GWINEAR par. (33) Penwith hund. S 1 W. Corn-
wall, 7 m. SW. of Redruth-263. Acres 4400 (or
3882), slaty,' with copper and silver at Herland ;
pop. 2862 + 14, in the Wheal Carpenter, Wh. Al-
fred, Wh. Trelistion, and other mines; poor r.
5547. (Redr. U.) ; real prop. 69897. Living, a
Vic. (Exet) val. 3087., patr. Bishop. Roman
coins have been found ; and the Lanyons and
Polkinghornes were seated here.

Gwineas Rock (31) 2 m. NNE. of Deadman pt.
S. Cornwall, above water.

GWITHIAK par. (33) Penwith hund. S W. Corn-
wall, 7 m. W. of Redruth-263, near St. Ives bay,
belonged to the Arundells, and is partly inun-
dated with shifting shell-sand. Acres 2070 (or
2249), slaty, with copper ; pop. 625 + 9 ; poor r.
1157. (Redr. U.); real prop. 1673/. Living, a
Rect. with Phillack.

GWMLLWM tnshp. (79) Nantglyn par. N. Den-
bigh. 4 m. SW. of Denbigh-201. Pop. 35.

GWXNWS, or LLANWNNWS, par. (57) Upper
liar hund. N. Cardigan. 6 m. N. of Tregaron-204,
on R. Ystwith, contains G. UPPER and LOWER
tnshps. (pop. 627 and 488). Pop. 1115 + 20;
poor r. 2087. (Tregar. U.) ; real prop. 27407.
Living, a Cur. (St. Dav.) val. 1067., patr. T. P. B.
Chichester, Esq. ; church, has a pillar stone 4 ft.
high, to one Caradoc.

GWREDOG chplry. (78) Llanllibro' par. 2V. An-
glesea, 1 m. NW. of Llanerchymedd-253. Pop.
42. St. Mary Car. with Llantrisaint.

Gwrfai River (78) rises under Snowdon, and
runs into the Menai Straits, near Llanfaglan,
NW. Carnarvon.

Gwrgrig (41) 11 m. NXE. of Carmarthen, N.
Carmarthen.

GWRTHRIUA tnshp. (74) Bryn-Eglwys par. S.
Denbigh. 5 m. NW. of Llangollen-184.

GWRYCH tnshp. (79) Abergele par. N. Den-
bigh, close to Abergele-214, on the coast, was the
residence of Mrs. Hemans, for a time. Pop. 415.
G. Castle, L. Hesketh, Esq., near Cefn-yr-Ogo
rock, is 480 yds. long, with 18 towers (one 93 ft.
high), and fine sea views.

GWSANEY tnshp. (79) Mold par. Mid. Flint. 2 m.
N. of Mold-191, on R. Aleii. Pop. 413 ; real
prop. 14587. G. Hall, belongs to Cook of Owston,
through the Davieses.

GWYDDALFYNYDD tnshp. (59) Towyn par.
SW. Merioneth, near Towyn-217. Po'p. 497;
real prop. 2091/.

G\VYODEI.WEUN par. (74) Edernion hund.



GYP

NE. Merioneth. 2 m. N. of Corwen-194, on a
branch of R. Alwen, contains Maesgamedd and
11 other tnshps. Acres 4400; pop. 1684 + 11;
poor r. 4727. (Cornw. U.) ; real prop. 7. ; cha-
rities 287., of which Roberts's school 107. St.
Bruno Vic. (St. As.) val. 1387., patr. Bishop.
Remains of a camp are seen.

GWYDDGRUG and GWYDDIL hmlts. (41)
Llanfihangel-Ar-Arth par. N. Carmarthen. 9 m.
E. of Newcastle-Emlyn-229.

GWYDIU tnshp. (78) Llanrwst par. NE. Car-
narvon, near Llanrwst-217, under Moel Siabod,
on R. Conway. Pop. 381 + 1, miners ; real prop.
1294Z. G. House, Lord Willoughby d'Eresby

Snrho takes hence title of baron) through the
erties and Wynnes, on site of the old house, b.
1555, of which there are some remains, also a fall
of 100 ft. and a lake in the fine grounds.

P. GWYNDY chplry. (78) Llandrygarn par.
Mid. Anglesea, 3 m. SSW. of Llanerchymedd-253.
Pop. 77.

Gtvynedd, or Gwineth, was the latin Venedotia,
N. Wales, seat of the Ordovices.

GWYNFE-QUARTER-BACH chplry. (41) Llan-
gadockpar. E. Carmarthen, near Llangadock-195,
under Black mountns. Pop. 1109 + 26; real
prop. 29577. Living, a Cur. (St. Dav.) val. 1077.,
patr. Vicar. G. House, L. Lewis, Esq.

GwrsFii, tnshp. (57) Llan-ddewi-brefi par.
SE. Cardigan. 3 m. SSW. of Tregaron-204, near
R. Teifi. Pop. 366 + 5 ; poor r. 937. (Trega. U.) ;
real prop. 13017.

Gwynfryn (75) 2 m. WNW. of Criccieth, S.
Carnarvon. O'Nanney, Esq. iggf" GWYXFRYX
hmlt. (75) Llanbedr" par. NW. Merioneth. 8 m.
N. of Barmouth-222. Pop. 81.

Gwyngregyn River (78) falls into Menai Strait
at Aber, N. Camarvn. opposite Beaumaris.

Gwynhitt and Gwynhillveor Islds. ( ) Scilly
Islds.

GWYNODL tnshp. (74) Llangarpar. NE. Merio-
neth. 1 m. SW. of Corwen-194. Pop. 62; real
prop. 6767.

Gwyre River (57) in Mid. Cardigan, falls into
the sea at Llaurhysthd.

GWYTHERIN par. (79) Isaled hund. N W.Den-
bigh. 5 m. E. of Llanrwst-217, in the mountains
at the head of Rs. Elwy and Alwen, was the
retreat and burial-place of St. Winifred. Pop.
403 ; poor r. 1697. (Llanr. U.) ; real prop. 14187. ;
charities 37. St. James Rect. (St. As.) val. 1327.,
patr. Bishop ; the ancient church, has an old
cross, and St. Winifred's grave.

GWYTHLA tnshp. (56) with Trewern, Llanvi-
hangel-Nantmellan par. SE. Radnor. 3 m. SW.
of Radnor-159, near " Water-break-its-neck "
fall, on G. River, which runs to R. Arrow, near
Kington.

Gyddies (43) 3 m. SSW. of Ross, S. Hereford.
on R. Wye.

Gydslepe of the Saxons, was ISLIP, Oxford.



Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 226 of 293)