terboro' rail, and R. Nen. Pop. 172 ; real prop.
1646/. 33 ASHTON hmlt. (64) Ufford par. NE.
Northmptn. 5 m. ESE. of Stamford-89, has a
meet for the Fitzwilliam hounds at A. Wold.
Acres 980 ; pop. 101 ; real prop. 1337/.
ASHTON, COLD. See COLD ASHTON, Gloucester.
A. Lodge, G. Bridges, Esq.
ASHTON GIFFORD tnshp. (14) Codford St. Peter
par. S. Wilts. 2 m. SE. of Heytesbury-90, on R.
Wiley, belonged to the Giffords of Brimsfield, and
is seat of H. Hubbard, Esq. Pop. 141. ^ A.
GREEN hmlt. (80) Parr tnshp. <S. Lancash. 2 m.
E. of St. Helen's-200. ^" A. Heyes (80) near
Frodsham, NW. Cheshire, B. Grey, Esq.
P. ASHTON-IN-MACKERFIELD, or A.-LE-WIL-
LOWS, tnshp. (89) Winwick par. S. Lancash.
2 m. NW. of Newton- 193, near Wigan rail., is
a chplry. with Haydock. Acres 5510 ; pop. 5410,
in the collieries and cotton factories; poor r.
1036Z. on 16,795Z. (Wigan U.) ; real prop. 22,682/L
of which 6500Z. from mines; charities ISO/., of
which 331. to school. Living, a Rect. (Ches.)
val. 550/., patr. Rector of Winwick ; St. Thomas
Vic. val. /., patr. Rector of Ashton. (g5 A.
Inn (81) 4 m. NE. of Castleton, .M Derby, where
R. Ashop joins the Derwent.
P. ASHTON KEYNES par. (34) Highworth
hund. N. Wilts. 3 m. W. of Cricklade-83, on the
Thames, contains Leigh. Acres 3820; pop. 1332
+ 12 ; poor r. 6081. (Crickl. U.) ; real prop. 5528Z. ;
charities 119Z. Holy Cross Vic. (Gl. and Br.) val.
325/., patr. J. Pitt, Esq. A. K. House, .
P. ASHTON, LONG, par. (35) Hartcliffe hund.
NE. Somerset. 2 m. SW. of Bristol-114, a fine spot
near Gt. West. rail, and R. Avon, under Ashton
and Dundry hills, contains Bower- Ashton, King-
cott, Providence, Yanliegh, and Rownham, Bur-
walls and Stokeleigh roman camps on Barrow
common, and Bedminster Union p. house. Acres
4110, in orchards and market gardens; pop. 1926
+ 50; poor r. 612/. (Bedmin. U.) ; real prop.
15,91 9/.; charities 15G/., of which 141. to school.
All Saints Vic. (Ba. and W.) val. 117/., patr. W.
G. Langton, Esq. and the late Sir J. Smyth, Bt.
(now extinct), of A. Court, an old house, with
a front (by I. Jones) 143 ft. long, portrait gallery
90 ft. by 20, etc. ; church (b. 1390) has a carved
screen, stained glass, effigies of the Chokes, etc.
Collinson, the county historian, was vicar; and
roman coins have been found.
P. ASHTON STEEPLE par. (14) Whorwelstowu
hund. W. Wilts. 4 m. NNE. of Westbury-100, so
called from its tall steeple, which was destroyed
by lightning, is a petty sessions, and once a mkt.
town, containing A. WEST, and Semington curs.,
Hinton, and Littleton. Acres 1450, formerly com-
mon, now enclosed ; pop. 1941 + 19, of tythg.
848, formerly in the cloth trade; poor r. 3621.
(Westb. U.) ; real prop. 103927. St. Mary Vic.
(Sal.) val. with Semington 8527., patr. Magd.
coll. Camb. ; church, large and later eng., with a
chancel built by the Longs of A. Rood. Fair, 18
Sept. fii5 A.-UXDER-HILL par. (44) Tibaldstone
hund. N. Gloucester. 5 m. SW.of Evesham-96, under
Bredon hill. Acres 1300 ; pop. 342 + 5 ; poor r. 76Z.
(Evesh. U.) ; real prop. 6271. St. Barbara Cur.
*P. M. ASHTOX-UXDER-LYNE par. (88) Salford
hund. SE. Lancash. 6 m. E. of Manchester by
Sheffield rail, or 194^ from London, on Hud-
dersfield canal and R. Tame, containing Staley-
bridge, Audenshaw, Bardsley, Hurst, Leesfield,
Lees, and Mossley curs., Hartshead and Knott's
Lane, is a polling and petty sess. town and a
seat of the cotton trade (first introduced in 1769) ;
is a new boro' under the Reform act, returning
one member, the bounds including that part
under the lighting act, no. of electors 763 (and
101. houses 5267) ; and by the charter of Sept.
1847 is divided into 4 wards, governed by a
mayor (who is returning officer), 8 aid., 24 coun-
cil., with the style of ' may. aid. and boro' of A,'
and a revenue of 1. Acres of par. 9300,
of boro' 1319, flat and marshy, with peat at
A. Moss and abundance of coal, grit, and sand-
stone ; pop. 46,304 + 1271, of boro' 22,514,
and of town 22,678 + 800, cotton spinners and
weavers of calicoes, gingham, and muslin (6380
hands), hatmakers (134), silk- weavers (114),
colliers (154); houses 4070, in 14m. of street,
with 3 churches, 4 chapels, market-place (where
the cross stood), 3 banks, savings bk. (35,012Z.
from 1405 depositors), gas and water works,
theatre, assembly-rooms, mechanics' institute,
about 90 mills, schools (53Z.), Union workhouse ;
poor r. 6177/. on 107,8407. ; real prop. 84,717Z., of
which 12701. on mines ; charities 92Z. St. Mary
Red. (Manch.) val. 900Z., patr. Earl of Stamford,
who has the manor through the Ashetons of
A. Old Hall, whose tombs are in the later eng.
church, and whose connection with the town, in
which they had a right to keep a gallows and
dungeon, is perpetuated in the custom of " riding
the black lad " (i. e. a figure in black armour)
on Easter Mond. St. Peter Cur. val. 150Z.,
patr. Rector, ch. built 1821 for 12.689Z. ; Christ
Church Cur. 1501., Crown and Bishop. Lately
20,0007. has been raised for improvements. Boston
and Charlestown on A. Moss were built during the
American war, and Duckingfield house is across
the river. Some derive ' Lyne ' or ' Lyme ' from
the limes once growing here, as at Limehurst, etc.,
but more probably it comes from being near the
limes, or border line, which the Mersey and the
Derby, hills have served to mark, from the Romans
downwards (see LYME). A.-under-L. canals, 6
and 8 m. long, cut 1793-1805, have falls 162J ft.
(with 18 locks) and 83 (with 8 locks), and begin-
ning here, in the Huddersfield can., go to Man-
chester, with branches to Stockport and Oldham.
Ashton P. L. Union, contains the pars. etc. of
Ashton, Denton, with Droglesden, Haughton, in
Lane. ; and Hollingwood, Mottram, Newton,
Stayley bridge, Tintwistle with Duckingfield,
Gedley, Haltersley, Matley, in Chest. ; acres ,
pop. 101,570, cases relieved (yr. 1846-7) 2865
(out-door 2664), expend. 10,2857., prop, rated
223,9957. Sup. Registry comprises the same up
to Denton in Lane, with Birch, Lees, Middleton,
Mossley, Royton, Tonge, Birtle, Hopwood, Pils-
worth, Pilkington, Gt. Lever, Heaton (Gt. and
Little), and up to Tintwistle in Ches. with Wood-
head; pop. 101,605 + 2909; births (1845) 7294
(3603 being females, 605 illegit.) ; deaths 4982 ;
marriages 1208, of which 1672 persons signed with
marks : 41 deaths from cholera in 1849. The
New County Court district includes the Registry
with that of Oldham, except Denton, Newton,
Mottram, Oldham above and below Town, Middle-
ton, Royton, Chadderton, and Crompton, which go
to Hyde and Oldham. Mkt. Ds. Wed. Sat. Fairs,
23 Mar. 29 Apr. 15 July, 11 Nov. horses, cattle.
P. ASHTON-UPOK-MERSEY par. (80) Bucklow
hund. N. Cheshire, 3 m. N. of Altrincham-179,
near where the Bridgewater canal joins R. Mersey,
contains Sale. Acres 3690, of town 1630; pop.
2414, and 1105 + 13 ; poor r. 3247, (Altrinc. U.) ;
real prop. 69367. ; charities 71. St. Martin Rect.
(Ches.) val. 6087., patr. Rev. C. B. Sowerby,
rector. A. Woodhouses, 1 m. S. igf A., WEST,
tythg. (14) Ashton Steeple par. as above, 2 m.
SW. was a seat of the Stantons. Pop. 307 ; poor
r. 141Z. (Westbury U.) Living, a Cur. (Sal.) val.
401., patr. W. Long, Esq. M. P. of A. Rood.
Ashtown (14) near Finglass, Mid. Dublin.
Ashurst (11) 5 m. W. of Southampton, SW.
Hants, near the New Forest. A. Lodge, 2 m.
SSW. igp ASHURST par. (6) Washlingstone
hund. Aylesford lathe, SW. Kent, 4m. W. of
Tonbridge Wells-36, on R, Medway. Acres 1000 ;
pop. 224 + 2 ; poor r. 1817. (Tonbrg. U.) ; real prop.
1824Z. Living, a Rect. (Cant.) val. 164/., patr. Earl
Delawarr, of Buckhurst Park. A. Park, W. Jones,
Esq. Fair, 16 Oct. tgT ASHURST hmlt. (6) E.
Grinstead par. N. Sussex, near E. Grinstead-28.
Ashurst Beacon (89) 4 m. WNW. of Wigan,
S W. Lancash. a sea-mark for Liverpool, on a hill
commanding a view from Cumbrld. to Salop, JV.
Wales, I. of Man, etc. 1^ A. Lodge (8) 2 m.
SE. of Leatherhead, Mid. Surrey, W. Strahan, Esq.
ASHURST-XEAR-STEYNIXG par. (9) W. Grin-
stead hund. Bramber rape, Mid. Sussex, 3 m. N.
of Steyning-50, on R. Adur. Acres 2250 ; pop.
427 ; poor r. 178Z. (Steyn. U.) ; real prop. 3276Z.
Living, a Rect. (Chic.) vaL 2687., patr. Mag. Coll.
Oxon. ; church, small.
ASHWATER par. (26) B. Torrington hund. W.
Devon. 6 m. SSE. of Holsworthy-214, on R.
Carey. Acres 4220, with good stone quarries ;
pop. 1046 + 18; poor r. 342/. (Holsw. U.) ; real
prop. 4012?. St. Peter Rect. (Exet.) val. 4377.,
patr. Rev. T. Melhuish, rector; church, has a
square font, and tombs of the Careys. Fairs, 1st
Tu. May, 1st Mon. after 1 Aug.
Ashway (21) 4 m. NW. of Dulverton, W.
Somerset, on R. Barle.
Ashwell (22) 4 m. SE. of Chudleigh, SE. Devon.
P. ASHWELL par. (26) Odsey hund. N. Herts.
3 m. NNE. of Baldock-37, near Icknield St. at
the 13 head springs, or wells, of R. Rhte, was a
saxon royal seat, a boro' and mkt. town to
Westminster at ' Domesdy.' when it was called
Escewe.ll, and has roman remains at Arbury
camp of 12 acres, where coins, etc. have been
found. Acres 3500, with stone quarries ; pop.
1235 + 16 ; poor r. 3637. (Royston U.) ; real prop.
62577. ; charities 72Z., of which 177. to Colborne's
school, under the Merch. Taylors' Comp. M.
Mary Vic. (Roch.) val. 5137., "patr. Bp. of Lon-
don, lord of the manor; church, lately rebuilt,
has a spire of 175 ft. and tombs (once inlaid with
brasses) of the Sumners, who held part of the
manor. Cudworth died vicar 1688. A fire in
1850 did much injury. ^P ASIIWELL par. (64)
Alstoe bund. NW. Rutland, 3 m. N. of Oakham
-95, on Midi. rail, and a branch of R. Wreak, near
Melton Mowbray canal, was the saxon Exwell,
held by Earl Harold, and came to the Touchets
(Edw.'HI.), and others. Acres 1890 ; pop. 223 + 2 ;
poor r. 82Z. (Oakh. U.) ; real prop.3963/. St. Mary
Rect. (Pet.) val. 401Z., patr. Viscount Downe;
church, has effigies of a crusader, priest, and J.
Vernon (1479). (gT Asfiwell (9) 3 m. NW. of
Cuckfield, Mid. Sussex.
ASHWELTHORPE par. (66) Depwade hund. SE.
Norfolk, 3 m. SE. of Wymondham-100, on a
branch of R. Tare, belonged to the Thorpes and
Bourchiers. Acres 1030; pop. 469; poor r. 311Z.
(Depw. U.); real prop. 2047/. ; charities, 1J
acres fuel allotment. All Saints Eect. (Norw.)
val. with Wreningham 648/., patr. Lord Berners,
a descendant of Sir Jno. Bourchier, a native
(1469-1552), who translated Froissart.
ASH WICK par. (19) Kilmersdon hund. E.
Somerset. 3 m. NXE. of Shepton Mallet- 11 6, on
the Foss way, near Masbury cast, camp, contains
Oakhill. Acres 1700, with coal ; pop. 945, some
miners ; poor r. 699/. (S. Mallet U.) ; real prop.
37771. ; charities 13/., of which 51. to Billingsley's
school. St. Mary Cur. (Ba. and W.) val. 1131.,
Vicar of Kilmersdon. A. Grove, R. Strachey, Esq.
gp" A. House (35) 1 m. S. of Marshfield, S W.
ASHWICKEX par. (65) Freebridge Lynn hund.
W. Norfolk, 5 m. ENE. of Lynn-96, near E.
Anglian rail. Acres 1260 ; pop. 78 ; poor r. 80/.
(. Lynn U.) ; real prop. 1112Z. All Saints Rect.
(Norw.) val. with Leziate 435Z., patr. Rev. J.
Freeman, rector. Wicke Hall, is near.
ASHWOOD hmlt. (62) King's Swinford par. S.
Stafford. 4 m. NNW. of Stourbridge-122, near
R. Stour, has on the heath a roman camp called
" Wolverhampton churchyard." gif Ashwood
Dale (81) 4 m. ESE. of Buxton, NW. Derby.
near R. Wye, has a paint-mill, and tufa springs.
ASIIWORTH chplry. (88) Middleton par. SE.
Lancash. 3 m. W. of Rochdale- 198, on a branch
of R. Roch. Acres 730 ; pop. 325 + 3 ; poor r.
68Z. (Bury U.) ; real prop. 1466/. St. James Cur.
(Manch.) val. 119Z., patr. W. Egerton, Esq.
ASKE tnshp. ( ) Easby par. N. R. York. 2 m.
N. of Richmond-233. Acres 1670 ; pop. 92 ; poor
r. 91Z. (Richm. U.) ; real prop. 1644Z. A. Hall,
Earl of Zetland, formerly the Darcys' seat, has a
P. M. a. ASKEATON par. (10-1, 19, 20) Lower
Cornello bar. N. Limerick, 16 m. WSW. of Lime-
rick, 135 from Dublin, a petty sessions and police
station, where R. Deel joins the Shannon, was a
borough returning 2 members from 1613 (till the
Union) under Lords Carrick and Massey; was
founded by the Desmonds, and has remains of
their fine franciscan house b. 1420, and of A.
Castle, their last stronghold, which Lord Carew
destroyed 1580. Acres 6521, rocky, with lime-
stone and traces of copper ; pop. 4438, of town
1862 + 39, in the salmon fishery, and a small ex-
port trade ; houses 314. Living, a Vic. (Lk. A. A.)
val. with Lismakeery and Iberus 39R, patr. Sir
M. Blackiston, Bt. who has the manor ; church,
in ruins, belonged to a preceptory of the K. Tem-
plars found. 1298. Inchirourk More, R. Hunt,
Esq. Mkt. D. Tu. Fairs, 30 July, ? Oct. cattle.
Askeg, or Askaig, Haven, NE. Islay, W. Argyll.
on Islay sound, near some lead mines.
P. ASKERNE tnshp. (87) Campsall par. W. R.
York. 6 m. N. of Doncaster-162, on Lane, and
Yksh. rail, has sulphur springs at A. Pool, near
which, they say, Ambrosius defeated and killed
Hengist. Acres 800; pop. 468 + 21; poor r. 20/.
ASKEUSWELL par. (17) Eggerton hund. SW.
Dorset. 4 m. E. of Bridport-135, in a pleasant
valley, on a branch of R. Brit. Acres 2330 ; pop.
233 + 1; poor r. 1001. (Bridp. U.) ; real prop.
13141. ; charities 6Z. St. Michael Rect. (Sal.) val.
160/., patr. Rev. Dr. Cox.
ASKERTON tnshp. ( ) Lanercost par. NE.
Cumbrld. 6 m. NNE. of Brampton-311, on a
branch of R. Irthing, where the Dacres had a
small castle. Pop. 496 + 2 ; real prop. 3599J. The
church, called Kirk Cambec, was destroyed by the
ASKELT hmlt. (7) Monks' Risborough par. Mid.
Bucks. 1 m. NNE. of Prince's Risborough-36.
ASKEW. See AISKEW, N. R. York.
ASKHAM par. (83) Bassetlaw wap. NE. Notts.
4 m. SE. of E. Retford-141, contains Rockley.
Acres 1240, partly in hops ; pop. 288 ; poor r. 97/.
(E. Retf. U.); real prop. 1954Z. ; charities "221.
to almsh. for 6 widows. Living, a Cur. with E.
Drayton. gg" ASKHAM par. ( ) West ward, N.
Westmrld. 4 m. S. of Penrith-283, on R. Lowther,
near Prest. and Carl. rail, contains Helton. Acres
3000, with limestone quarries ; pop. 635 + 5, of
town 442 ; poor r. 171Z. (West Ward U.) ; real
prop. 1653Z. ; charities 21Z. of which 12Z. to
school. St. Peter Vic. (Carl.) val. 80Z., patr. Earl
of Lonsdale, of A. HaU, who has the manor.
ASKHAM BRYAN par. ( ) York Ainsty, W. R.
York. 3 m. SW. of York-199, near N. Mi'dld. rail,
is a meet for the Ainsty hounds. Acres 1920 ;
pop. 342 ; poor r. 121/. (Barwick Incorp.) ; real
prop. 3242Z. ; charities 347. of which 10/. to school.
St. Nicholas Cur. (York.) val. 120/., patr. H. Croft,
Esq. ; church, ancient. $3f A. RICHARD par. as
above, 1 m. SW. Acres 960 ; pop. 232 ; poor r.
16Z. (York U.) ; real prop. 1637/. ; charities 17Z.
St. Mary Vic. (Yk.) val. 200/., patr. H. Croft, Esq.
A. HaU, .
P. M. ASKRIGG chplry. ( ) Aysgarth par. N.
R. York. 50 m. NW. of York, 246 from London,
or 284 by rail, thro' Richmond, a polling place
in Wensley dale, on R. Ure, near Hardraw,
Whitfield Gill and Mill Gill forces or falls, has
roman remains and contains Newbiggin, Nappa,
and Woodhall. Acres 4790, moorland, with traces
of lead; pop. 726; houses 174, with Besson's Yore-
bridge free gram, school (657.) found. 1061, Al-
derson's almsh. (60/.) ; poor r. 287Z. (Bainbridge
Incorp.); real prop. 4299Z. ; charities 125Z. St.
Oswald Cur. (Rip.) val. 100Z., patr. Vicar ; church,
ancient. The actaa spicata, is indigenous. The
Sup. Registry belongs to Leyburn New County
Court district Mkt. D. Th. Fairs, 11 May, 1st
Th. June, 28 Oct. cattle, woollens, etc.
ASKWITH, or ASQUITH, tnshp. ( ) Weston par.
W. R. York. 3 m. NW. of Otley-205, near R.
W T harfe, contains Snowdon. Acres 3180 ; pop. 398 ;
poor r. 85Z. (Carlton Incorp.) ; real prop. 2725Z.
ASLACKRY par. (70) Aveland wap. & Lincoln.
7 m. N. of Bourne-97, containing Graby and Mill-
thorpe, has the tower of the Templars' preceptory
at " Temple farm," and part of a castle b. before
1062. Acres 4810; pop. 507 + 5; poor r. 86Z.
(Bourne U.) ; real prop. 5_281Z. ; charities 4Z. St.
James Vic. (Line.) val. 453Z., patr. R. F. Barstow,
Esq. A. High Park, 1 m. SW
ASLACKOE WAPENTAKES (83, 86.) East and
West parts of Lindsey, NW. Line, traversed by
the Ermine St. includes the pars, of Blyboro' rect;,
Caenbyr., Cammeringham vie., Coates'r., Filling-
hamr., Glentham t\, Glentwortht?., Hackthorner.,
Bold Hamworth r., Harpsell cur., Hemswell c.,
Ingham v., Normanby v., Bishop's Norton v.,
Romby r., Saxby p., with Firsby r., Spridlington r.,
Snitterby (c. with Wadingham r.), Willoughton v.
acres 46,240, pop. 5492, houses 1055. * A.
DEANERY, archdy. of Stow, dioc. of Line, includes
the benefices marked above, with Snitterby c.
ASLACTON par. (66) Depwade bund. S. Norfolk,
6 m. ENE. of New Buckingham-93, on E. Union
rail, and a branch of R. Yare, belonged to the Le
Neves, of whom was Sir WilL the herald and an-
tiquary of Ch. I.'s time. Acres 1310 ; pop. 404
+ 5 ; poor r. 316/1 (Depw. U.) ; real prop. 22157. ;
charities, Le Neves 1L and 18 acres fuel allotment.
St. Michael Cur. (Norw.) vaL 58/., patr. J. Cooper,
Esq. ifip ASLACTOX tnshp. (70) Whatton par.
SE. Notts. 2 m. E. of Bingham-124, on R. Smite,
was the birthplace of Cranmer, 1489-1556. Pop.
424; real prop. 2130Z. Church, in ruins. A,
Abbey % m. W. and A. Field House 1 m. N.
Aslisk Castle 5 m. ENE. of Forres, 2V. Elgin.
ASPALL, par. (50) Hartismere hund. Mid. Suf-
folk, 1 m. NNW. of Debenham-83. Acres 1240 ;
pop. 132 + 1 ; poor r. 877. (Hartism. U.) ; real
prop. 11827. Living, a Cur. (Norw.) val. 149Z.,
patr. Rev. J. Chevalier, of A. Hall, and another.
P. M. ASPATRIA par. ( ) Allerdale below
Derwent ward. W. Cumbria. 4 m. E. of Allonby
-316, on Maryp. and Carl. rail, and R. Ellen, is
a polling place containing Hayton and Oughter-
side, and belonged to the Gospatricks of Aller-
dale. Acres 8610, hilly, with coal and red sand-
stone quarries; pop. 1921 + 53, of town with
Brayton 988 + 22; poor r. 1087. (Wigton U.);
real prop. 54387. ; charities, Sir T. Musgrave's 107.
St. Kentigern Vic. (Carl.) val. 2497., patr. Bishop ;
church, early eng. with a fine chancel, font, tombs
of the Musgraves, and in ch.yard a pillar stone
to a De Uchtersal or Oughterside. At Beacon
hill barrow was found, 1790, the skeleton of a man
7 ft. long, with weapons, etc. M kt. D. Th. corn.
ASPEDEN par. (47) Edwinstreehund. NE.Herts.
% m. SSW. of Buntingford-31, which is partly
included in it, on R. Rib, is Absesdine of ' Do-
mesdy.' Acres 1620; pop. 529; poor r. 2847.
(Buntingf. U.); real prop. 3115; charities 547.,
of which 177, to Cater's school. St. Mary Rect.
(Roch.) val. 3577., patr. Countess of Mexborough ;
church, in the park, has tombs and brasses (from
1480) of the Cliffords and of the Freemans, who,
with the Jocelyns, etc. held the manor, which came
to Earl Hardwicke and the Bolderos. A. Hall, .
Aspens, Low (81) 5 m. NW. of Chapel-le-Frith,
ASPLEY tnshp. (73) Eccleshall par. NW. Staf-
ford. 3 m. NNW. of Eccleshall-148, near N. West,
rail. Acres 540 ; pop. 34 + 1 ; real prop. 35207.
P. ASPLEY GUISE par. (46) Manshead hund.
W. Beds. 2 m. N. of Woburn-41, and once a mkt.
town, has fine views at A. Wood and A. Heath.
Acres 1960, with fuller's earth not wOrked ; pop.
1139 + 12 ; poor r. 3267. (Woburn U.) ; real prop.
42587. St. Botolph Rect. (Ely) value 2157., patr.
Duke of Bedford; church, contains tombs and
brasses of a priest and a Guise, who had the manor,
now held by Rev. H. Moody, of A. G. House.
A. House, Mrs. Smith.
Aspley Hatt (71) 2 m. WNW. of Nottingham,
SW. Notts. Barnside, Esq.
ASPS, THE vil. (53) Bishop's Tachbrook par.
Mid. Warwick. 1 m. SE. of Warwick-50, close to
the park. Pop. 32.
ASPULL tnshp. (89) Wigan par. S. Lancash.
3 m. NE. of Wigan-200. Acres 1930 ; pop. 2772
+ 32, in the collieries and cotton mills ; poor r.
4167. (Wigan U.) ; real prop. 14,3827., of which
88507. on mines.
ASQUITH. See ASKWITH, W. R. York.
Assart Farm (64) 2 m. N. of Kingscliffe, NE.
Assart Wood (71) 7 m. W. of Southwell, Mid.
Notts, near Newstead abbey.
ASSELBY tnshp. (86) Howden par. E. R. York.
2m. W. of Howden-180, near R. Ouse and Hull
rail. Acres 910; pop. 293; poor r. 827. (How-
den U.) ; real prop. 21237.
ASSEXDON, UPPER, lib. (13) Pirton par. SE.
Oxford. 3 m. NW. of Henley-on-Thames-35, has
a land spring which breaks out after much wet
weather. Real prop. 10907.
ASSERBY hmlt. (84) Bilsby par. E. Lincoln.
2m. ENE. of AIford-138. Pop. 54.
ASSEY par. (31) Lower Deece bar. Mid. Meath,
4 m. S. of Navan-29, on R. Boyne, has ruins of an
old castle. Acres 1218, good pasture; pop. 138
+ 3. Living, a Rect. (Meath) val. with Balsoon
1167., patr. Crown ; church, in ruins.
P. ASSINGTON par. (48) Babergh hund. SW.
Suffolk, 4 m. SE. of Sudbury-54, on a branch of
R. Stour. Acres 3450 ; pop. 778 + 13 ; poor r.
3797. (Sudb. U.); real prop. 51617.; charities
77. St. Edmund Vic. (Norw.) val. 3907., patr.
J. Gurdon, Esq., of A. Hall, who holds the manor
through the Corbetts; church, has brass of a
knight and lady (1450).
P. ASSYNT par. 20 m. WNW. of Lairg-221,5 W.
Sutherland, on the Minch channel, between Kyle
Sku and Loch Enard, containing Store q. *. par.
and Loch-Inver., was first held by the Thanes
of Sutherland, and afterwards by the Madeods.
Acres 100,000, chiefly mountain and water (1000
to 3000 ft. at Queenaig, Suilbhein, Ben More, and
Coulbeg), with Lochs Assynt (7m. by 1), Cama,
Jnver, Urgil, etc., slate spar, and r jrble quarries
at Inchnadamph ; pop. 3178 + 1, some fishermen
and cattle breeders ; real prop. 12127. ; for poor
3287. Living (Presb. Domoch) val. 1587., patr.
Duke of Sutherland. Ardwraick cast., in ruins,
a seat of the Macleods, who betrayed Montrose,
near which are an old seat of the Seaforths and a
chapel. Druidical remains are found.
AsTBCRYpar. (81) Northwich and Macclesfield
hunds. E. Cheshire. 1 m. SW. of Congleton-162,
near Macclesfield canal, on a branch of R. Dane,
under Mole Cop, contains Congleton, Buglawton,
Mossley, Rode, Smallwood, and Somerford curs.,
Newton Astbury, and 5 other tnshps. Acres
18,070, with lime, stone, coal, etc. ; pop. 14,355 in
about 40 silk and cotton factories, lime works,
etc. ; poor r. 7. (Congl. U.) ; real prop. 7. ;
charities 2637. (exclusive of Congleton), of which
Holford's for school, poor. etc. 1777. St. Mary
Rect. (Ches.) val. 14857., patr. B. J. Greville, Esq.';
church, later eng. with a good spire, stalls, screen,
rood-loft, stained windows, and old tombs of the
Breretons, of Little Moreton Hall, an ornamented
timber house b. 1559.
ASTCOTE (53) 3m. NNW. of Towcester, SW.
ASTEE vil. (2) Iraghticonnor bar. N. Kerry,
ASTERBY par. (83) N. Gartree wap. Mid. Lin-
coln. 6 m. NNE. of Horncastle-134, on the Wolds
near R. Bain. Acres 620 ; pop. 256 + 2 ; poor r.
1167. (Horncas. U.) ; real prop. 14727. ; charities
137. to Acham's free school, etc. St. Peter Rect.
(Line.) value 2107., patr. T. Southwell, Esq. A.
Grange, 2 m. SW.
ASTERLEY tnshp. (60) Pontesbury par. W.
Salop, 8 m. SW. of Shrewsbury-153, near R.
Rhea. Pop. 305. iJiT A. FARM and House ext.
par. ( ) Kiddington par. N. Oxford. 4 m. NW. of
Woodstock-62, was a par. till joined to Kiddling-
ton in 1291, and had a church at Chapelbroke field.
ASTERTON tnshp. (60)Norburypar. SW. Salop,
4 in. SVV. of Church Stretton-158, on Long Mynd
liills. Pop 164.
ASTHALL par. (45) Bampton hund. W. Oxford.
5m. WNW. of Witney-65, on K. \Vindrush, near
A. Barrow (a large one), in Akeman St., in
Wychwood forest, containing A. LEIGH hmlt.
(pop. 191), is Esthale of ' Domesdy.' held by
Roger d'lvri. Acres 1180 ; pop. 389 + 3, some in
the woollen mill ; poor r. 160/. (Witney U.) ; real
prop. 2645/. ; charities 25/. of which GZ. to Sir G.
Fettiplace's school. St. Nicholas Vic. (Oxon.)
val. 100/., patr. Eton Coll.; church, contains
the effigies of Alice Corbett (?) Hen. I.'s mistress.
A. House, the old seat of the Fettiplaces, who had
the manor through the Luinleys and Joneses, is
now a farm.
ASTHOKPE ext. par. (46) Marsworth par. E.
Bucks. 5 m. ENE. of Aylesbury-40, is joined to
LONG MARSTONE. igl" ASTHOKPE hmlt. (84)
Willoughby par. E. Lincoln. 4 m. SSE. of Alford
-138. Pop. 16.
Astle Hall (80) 6 m. W. of Macclesfield, E.
Chesh., J. Dixon, Esq., on Birm. and Manch. rail,
and K. Weaver, belongs to Bulkeley of Standlow.
ASTLEY, or EAST LEIGH, chplry. (89) Leigh par.
5. Lancash. 3 m. E. of Leigh-197, near the canal,
and N. West. rail. Acres 2120; pop. 2011 + 18,
many fustian weavers; poor r. 438/. (Leigh U.);