Copyright
James A Sharp.

A new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) online

. (page 246 of 293)
Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 246 of 293)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


HEYFORD, LOWER, or AT-BRIDGE, par. (45)
Ploughley hund. N. Oxford. 6 m. NVV. of Bi-
cester-54, on Oxford canal, Banbury rail., and
R. Cherwell, contains Calcutt. Acres 1650 ;
pop. 562 + 2 ; poor r. 2767. (Bicest. U.) ; real
prop. 2690/. ; charities 21. St. Mary Rect. (Oxon.)
val. 4967., patr. C. C. Coll. gg H., UPPER,
or WARREN, par. as above, 1 m. NE. Acres
1300; pop. 337 + 1; poor r. 571.; real prop.
18007. St. Mary Rect. (Oxon.) val. /., patr.
New Coll. ; church, has tombs of the Myr-
ries, of //. House, an old seat. ijip H. NETHER
par. (53) Nobottle-Grove hund. W. Northmptn.

5 m. W. of Northampton-66, on R. Nen, near
VVatling St., Gd. Junct. canal, and N) West,
rail. Acres 1690; pop. 559 + 9; poor r. 180/.
(N'orthampt. U.) ; real prop. 34G7/. ; charities
1457., of which 1057. to Bliss's school. St. Peter
and Paul Rect. (Pet.) val. 1527., patr. Rev. J. L.
Crawley, rector; church, has a brass (1497) of a
Mauntill, and tomb of Judge Morgan, who pro-
nounced sentence on Lady J. Grey. A roman
pavement was found at Horestone Field; and
Stanbridge a scholar, and Preston the ' patriarch '
of the Puritans, were natives. (JsJ" H., UPPER,
par. as above, J in. NE. Acres 920; pop. Ill;
poor r. 78/. ; real prop. 1911V. ; charities 'JO/.

VOL. I.



HEYHOIJSES ext. par. ( ) Whalley par. E.
Lancash. 3 m. SE. of Clitheroe-217. Acres 320 ;
pop. 156 ; poor r. 187. (Burnley U.). Living, a
Cur. (Manch.) val. /., patr. Le Gendre Starkie,
Esq.

HYL. See HAYLE, Cornwall.

Heynes Green (48) 5 m. NE. of Witham, NE.
Essex.

Heynings. See Hevening, Lincoln.

HEYOP par. (56) Knighton hund. NE. Radnor.
2 m. NE. of Knighton-165, on R. Teme, partly
within Cnwclas boro'. Acres about 1100; pop.
259+7; poor r. 907. (Knight. U.); real prop.
14857. ; charities 47. St. David Rect. (St. Dav.)
val. 1187., patr. Bishop. Dol-y-Felin was a seat
of the Richardses.

P. HEYSHAM par. ( ) S. Lonsdale hund. N.
Lancaxh. 4 m. W. of Lancaster-240, a watering
place on the coast between Lancaster and More-
cambe bays. Acres 1620 ; pop. 698 + 11 ; poor r.
2247. (Caton Incorp.) ; real prop. 36517. ; chari-
ties, Thompson's school 87. St. Peter Rect.
(Clies.) val. 5047., patr. C. Royds, Esq. ; church,
on a rock, near a small chapel or oratory.

HEYSHOTT par. (9) Easebourne hund. Chi-
cliester rape, W. Sussex, 2 m. SSE. of Midhurst
-50, near R. Rother. Acres 2210, part common ;
pop. 408 + 5 ; poor r. 2697. (Sutton Incorp.) ; real
prop. 163G7. Living, a Rect. with Stedham.

HEYTESBURY HUNDRED (14, 19) S W. Wilts.
contains the pars, of Boyton rect., Brixton De-
verill r., Chiltern (All Saints and St. Mary) vies.,
Codford (St. Mary and St. Peter) rs., Heytesbury
cur., Hill-Deverill c., Horningsham c., Knock c.,
Orcheston St. George r., Tytherington, Upton-
Lovell r., and part of Imber ; acres 32,370, pop.
5734, houses 1152. See WYLIE DEANERY.

>fc P. HEYTESBURY par. in the above hund.
16 m. NW. of Salisbury, 90 from London, on R.
Wiley, near Salisbury Plain, a petty sess. and
once a mkt. town and boro' by prescription,
returning 2 members (from Hen. VI.) till dis-
franchised by the Reform act, contains Coombe
Castle and Little London ; was the residence of Q. '
Maud, and held by the Burghershs, Badlesmeres,
Hungerfords, Hastings, etc. ; and is governed by
a bailiff and burgesses. Acres 3380; pop. 1311,
in the woollen cloth manufact. ; poor r. 13237. on
49347. (WarminsterU.); real prop. 48 137.; chari-
ties, 13737. to Lady Hungerford's hosp., found.
1470, reb. 1769, for warden, under warden, 12
men, 1 woman. St. Peter and Paul Cur. (Sal.)
val. with Knock 3507., patr. Bishop ; church, reb.
1404 by the Hungerfords, is cruciform, with stalls,
and tomb of Cunningham the antiquary, to whom
Sir R. Hoare dedicated his ' Ancient Wiltshire,'
was made collegiate 1165 by Bp. Joceline, and
has the four prebends of Hill Deverill, Horn-
ingsham, Swallowcliffe, Tytherington, attached
constituting a Chapter under Dean of Sarum,
which is to be abolished. Gives title of baron to
the A'Courts of H. House, which has a portrait
of Ch. II. by Lely, given by the king to Gov.
Holmes at his Yarmouth visit 1671. Cotley Hill,
Scratchbury Camp, Knook Cast., Golden Barrow,
and many other british, roman, and later remain.-.,
are about. Fair, 14 ,M.i\ .

HEYTHROP par. (45) Wootton hund. NIV. Ox-
ford. 2 m. E. of Chipping-Norton-73, containing
Dunthrop, had a monastery found. 1222 by Will.
Longespee, and moved to Hinton (Somerset).
Acres 1710 ; pop. 198 + 7 ; poor r. 667. (C. Norton
U.); real prop. 8857. St. Nicholas Rect. (Oxon.)



LJ.); i
vu,\. 15



1297., patr. Earl of Shrewsbury, of H. Hall;
church, small and part norman. The //. hounds
are keuuullcd here.

3L



882



IIEY



HIG



Heyward's Hill ( ) near , Cork, H. St. Leger,
Esq.

Heywood (17) 4 m. W. of Dublin, Mid. Dublin,
on R. Liffey, Sir H. Marsh, Bt.

P. HEYWOOD. See HEAP, Lancashire. tap"
HEYWOOD chplry. (88) Bury par. SE. Lan-
cash. 3 m. E. of Bury-195, on Lane, and Yksh.
rail. Pop. in the cotton and woollen mills. Liv-
ing, a Cur. (Manch.) val. 196/., patr. Rector. iJaT
Heywood (30) near Ballinakill, S. Queen's Co.,
J. M. T. French, Esq. gg" HEYWOOD (14) 1 m.
N. of Westbury-100, W. Wilts, is a Cur. (Sal.)
val. 50/., patr. H. G. G. Ludlow, Esq., of H. House,
formerly seat of the Leys, who b. it (Jas. I.), and
Phippses. Near it is a good mineral water.

Heywood Lodge (7) 2 m. SW. of Maidenhead,
E. Berks. J. Sawyer, Esq.

HIBALDSLOW par. (86) E. Manley wap. 2V.
Lincoln. 3 m. SSW. of Brigg-155, near R. Anc-
holme, near Ermine St. Acres 4390 ; pop. 688
+ 5; poor r. 212Z. (Glanford U.); real prop.
5417J. St Hibald Vic. (Line.) val. 328/., patr.
Bishop and M. D. Dallison, Esq. Roman coins,
tiles, etc. have been found.

HIBERNIA, from ' Eri,' ' Ir,' i. e. west, the old
name of Ireland, was settled by the british Celts ;
called SCOTIA from the 3rd to llth cent, after
the Scotti (of whom this was the true country'), a
tribe in Dalriada (to the XE.), who, under Fer-
gus, went over to Cantyre 503, and gave name
of Scotland to X. Britain; christianized by St.
Patrick after 432 (or 448) ; ravaged by the Danes,
who settled along the E. shores, from 838 ; and
included, besides the Scotti, such tribes as these :
Rhobogdii about R. Bann, etc. (X.), Venicnii* or
Vennicontes (X.), Damnii* (X.), Hardinii and
Nagnatae (XW.), Anterii (W.), Cangani* (W.)
about the Senus (or Shannon), Brigantes *,
Viduae, Ibernii, and Lucani (S. and SW.), Cori-
ondii * or Coritani (Mid.), Velatorii, Voluntii *
(on the Buvinda or Boyne), Eblanl and Caucli
(E.), Menapii* (SE.) ; those marked * being
related to tribes in Britain. Cruithne was a sort
of general name corresponding to ' Picts,' or
painted people.

HICK. See HECK, W. R. York.
Hickes-on- Heath. See Elm Grove, EALIJJG,
Middlesex.

P. HICKLETON par. (87) X. Strafforth wap.
W. R. York. 6 m. WXW. of Doncaster-162.
Acres 770 ; pop. 157 ; poor r. 59/. (Doncast. U.) ;
real prop. 1268/. ; charities 11. St. Denis Cur.
(Yk.) val. 53/., patr. Rt. Hon. Sir C. Wood, Bt.
M. P. of H. House.

HICKLIXG par. (66) Happing hund. NE. Nor-
folk, 9 m. SE. of N. Walsham-125, near H. Broad,
had a black priory found. 1185 by Theobald de
Valoins, and given to the Woodhouses. Acres
4510 ; pop. 860 + 10 ; poor r. 379/. (Tunstead U.) ;
real prop. 6569/. St. Mary Vic. (Xorw.) val.
2537., patr. M. Micklethwayte, Esq. gSP HICK-
LING par. (71) S. Bingham wap. S. Notts. 7 m.
S. of Bingham-124, on Grantham canal near the
Fosseway. Acres 2930 ; pop. 581 + 6 ; poor r.
135/. (Bingh. U.); real prop. 3579Z. ; charities
68/., of which 9/. to Wells's school. St. Mary
Rect. (Line.) val. 400/., patr. Queen's Coll. Camb.
Roman coins have been found.

Hickstead Place ( ) 4 m. SW. of Cuckfield,
Mid. Sussex, W. Wood, Esq. (?)

HIDCOTE-BARTRIM hmlt. (44) Mickleton par.
NE. Gloucest. 2 m. XE. of Chipping Campden
-90. Pop. 74 ; real prop. 1018/. i^ H.-BoYCE
hmlt. Ebrington par. near the above. Pop. 115 ;
poor r. 78/. (Shipston U.).

HIDDEN tythg. (13) Hungerford par. SW.



Berks. 1 m. XE. of Hungerford-64, is joined to
EDIXGTON.

HIDDLE hmlt. ( ) Barwick-in-Ehnet tnshp.
W. R. York. 6 m. EXE. of Leeds-189.

Hide (7) 2 m. E. of Chesham, S. Bucks, lgg~
HIDE tnshp. (55) with Wintercott, Leominster
par. 2V. Hereford. 3 m. SW. of Leominster-137.
Pop. 199.

Hide End (12) 5 m. ESE. of Xewbury, S.
Berks, near R. Enborne. (gp //. Green (1)4 m.
SW. of Chelmsford, Mid. Essex. ^ H. Park
(8) 2 m. X. of Cobham, 2V. Surrey, on R. Mole.
63P H., WEST. See WEST-HIDE, Hertford.

HIENDLEY, COLD, tnshp. (87) Falkirk par. If.
R. York. 5 m. SE. of Wakefield-182, is joined to
HAVERCROFT.

P. HIEXDLEY, SOUTH, tnshp. as above, J m.
S. contains UPPER H. hmlt. Acres 1630 ; pop.
290 + 2 ; poor r. /. ; real prop. 2463Z.

Hierna, a roman station on R. Earn, E. Perth.
near Strageth and Aberuthven, with a camp of 35
acres, and two others 450 ft. by 400, treble-
ditch'd.

Hieron, i. e. Holyhead, of Ptolemy, is Carnsore
Point, SW. Wexford,

Hiaford (61) 4 m. S. of Shiffnal, E. Salop.
High Beech Green (1) 2 m. SSE. of Waltham
Abbey, S W. Essex, a pleasant spot in Epping
Forest, near the seats of Adml. Sir G. Cockburn,
W. Loddington, Esq. etc. St. Paul Cur. (Roch.)
val. /., patr. Bp. of London. gif H. Canons
(7) 3 m. XW. of Baniet, S. Herts. E. Durant,
Esq. ^~ H. Cliff (IG) 2 m. E. of Christchurch,
S W. Hants. Lord Stuart de Rothesay, formerly
seat of Earl Bute, has a new pointed and tudor
hall 60 ft. long, 40 high, with gobeline tapestry,
etc. |gp H. -CHURCH tnshp. ( ) Morpeth par.
SE. Northmbrld. close to Morpeth-289, is joined
to TRANWELL. ggp H. CROSS hmlt. (47) Standon
par. E. Herts. 3 m. X. of Ware-20. Pop. 199.
Living, a Cur. (Roch.) val. 150/., patr. Lady L.
G. Puller. ^" H. Cross (63) 5 m. X W. of Lut-
terworth, S W. Leicest. where Watling St. crosses
the Fosseway, is the roman Bononae, near a part
of England, where most of the great rivers fall
different ways to the sea. The Cross is a meet for
the Atherstone hounds. (Jap" H. CROSS vil. (54)
Rowington par. Mid. Warwick. 5 m. WXW. of
Warwick-90, near Birmingham canal. //. House,
I m. XE. ^ H. Down (46) 2 m. WXW. of
Hitchin, NW. Herts. E. H. D. Radcliffe, Esq. on
Icknield way. |gi H.-EDGE. See HEAGE, Derlry.
^ H. Elms (G) 5 m. SE,. by S. of Bromley,
NW. Kent, Sir J. W. Lubbock, Bt. near J'ani-
boro'.

P. HIGH-FELL, ( ) near Gateshead, NE. Dur-
ham.

P. HIGH-FIELD (11) near Southampton, 5.
Hants. $&" H. Field (46) 1 m. EXE. of Hemel-
Hempstead, W. Herts, J. Cotton, Esq. ^ H.
Field (52) 3 m. SSE. of St- Xeot's, S. Hunts.
^" //. Field House (81) 1 m. XW. of Leek, 2V.
Stafford. R. Badnall, Esq. ^ H.-FLATTS hmlt.
(88) Denby tnshp. W. R. York. 3 m. XXW. of
Penistone-175. tgg H., or Great, Force ( ) a fall
of R. Tees, W. Durham, near Xewbiggen, of
70 ft. over a black marble rock into a hollow 70 ft.
deep, with the burnet rose, gentiana verna, and
other plants about, and cliffs below it 100 ft. high.
lgp H. Green ( ) 6 m. XXW. of Bellingham,
W. Northmbrld. ^ H.-GREEN vil. ( ) Eccles-
field tnshp. W. R. For*. 4 m. X. of Sheffield-162.
l^ H. Grove (43) 2 m. W. of Gloucester, W.
Gloucest. near R. Severn, Mrs. Evans. giT H.
Grove (34) 1 m. SW. of Tetbury, S. Gloucester.
J. D. Paul, Esq. |^" H. Grove (7) 1 m. EXE.



1IIG



HIG



883



of Rislip, W. Middlesex, J. Mitchell, Esq. (?)
O H. Hall (15) 2 m. N. of Wimborne Min-
ster, E. Dorset. W. Spurrier, Esq. |Jg- //. Hall
( ) at Brompton, N. R. York. Sir G. Cay ley,
Bt. &g" H. House ( ) 9 in. NNE. of Brampton,
NE. Cumbrld. igj -?/ //owse ( ) 3 m. SE. of
Hawkshead, A 7 ". Lancash. igT /7. .House (C7 )
2 m. NW. of Lowest oft, NE. Suffolk. j^ H.
House (8) at Shere, Mid. Surrey, was seat of Bray
the countv historian. gg //. Houses ( ) 2 m.
SW. of Ireby, W. Cumbrld. |^ H.-HousKS vil.
(89) Sharpies tnshp. S. Lancash, 5 m. E. of
Chorley-208. ^ H. Isld. (21) 3 m. W. of
Achris Point, NW. Galway, has a shoal at the S.
corner. igT H. Laws ( ) 8 m. W. of Wigton,
NW. Cumbrld. ^ H. Leyh East Hall (80)
6 m. NW. by N. of Neth. Kniitsford, N. Cheshire,
G. Legh, Esq. ; H. L. West Hall, E. Leigh, Esq.
tgsg" H. LODGE ext. par. (45) Ascott par. W.
Oxford. 5 m. N. of Witney-65, in Wychwood
Forest, gg" //. Lodge (51)' 3 m. NE. of Milden-
hall, N W. Suffolk. (^- H. Moor Hall (13) 4 m.
NW. of Henley-on-Thames, SE. Ox- ford. Kev. T.
L. Bennett. igT //. Moorhouse ( ) close to
Wigton, W. Cumbrld. J. Hodge, Esq. |^ IT.
Oye (46) 1 m. NE. of Hitchin, TV. Herts.

P. //(>;/! Par/i (33) near Baltinglass, W. Wick-
low, W. Westby, Esq. 1Ji* II.- Park (54) 2 m.
W. of Droitwich, Mid. Worcest. VV. Gresley,
Esq. (?) igjp 77. Pom* ( ) on Windermere,
commands the best view of that lake. gST H.
PEAKE. See Peake Forest, Derby. igp H.
Pike ( ) 3 m. SW. of Hesket Newmarket, Mid.
Cumbrld. the highest of the Cadbeck fells, 2011 ft.,
near Skiddaw. ggr //. Stile Fell ( ) S. side of
Buttermere, -S. Cumlrld. ^ H. Street (47) 3 m.
SE. of Buntingford, NE. Herts, fST //. Street
( ) about 4m. NE. of Ambleside, W. Westmrld. a
ridge by the side of Troutbeck, 2486 to2700 ft. high,
along which runs a roman way, where stray sheep
are brought till claimed, and races held 10 July,
gap H. Street House (5) at Chiddingstone, S W.
Kent, H. Streatfield, Esq., reb. 1679. ^ H. S.
House (6) at Bexley, NW. Kent, was tlie seat of
Thorpe the antiquary, who b. it 17G1. |^" H.
Tor (81) near Matlock, NW. Derby, has a tunnel
through it, made 1849, for the rail, to Buxton, etc.
^ II. TOWN hmlt. (51) Mildenhall St. An-
drew par. NW. Suffolk, near Mildenhall-70.
Pop. 1456. ^ H. Town (5) 7 m. SSE. of Tun-
bridge Wells, NE. Sussex.

P. HICHAM hmlt. (82) Shirland par. E. Derby.
2m. NNW. of Alfreton-139, on 'Ryknield St.
was a mkt. town. Pop. 451, decreasing. Fairs,
1st Wed. after 1 Jan. 27 Feb. cattle. (^
HICHAM par. (1) Shamwell bund. Aylesford
lathe, N. Kent, 4 m. E. of Gravesend-22, near the
Thames and the Medway rail, was Hecham of
'Domesdy.' and has remains of a benedictine
nunnery or abbey found. 1151 by K. Stephen,
and given to St. John's Coll. Camb. Acres 2820,
marshy, with an old cansewav; pop. 777 + 7;
poor r. 4097. (N. Aylesfd. U.) ; real prop. 70717.;
charities 41., with house, etc. for clerk. St. Mary
Vic. (Roch.) val 5187., patr. St. John's Coll. I
Camb. ; church, of flint, with nonnan traces, an :
old font, tiles, piscina, and tombs of prioress Joan
(1328), Rob. Hyltou (1532), and the Heads of '
Hermitage, which stands at H. Upshire near
Gad's Hill. It has roman bricks in it, and many ,
urns, pottery, etc. were found close by in a sup-
posed potter's field. |JaP Higham (3) 3 in. SE.
of Canterbury, /;. Kent, J. Hal let, Esq. (?), for-
merly the Auchers', etc. |J3" HICHAM. See
HKICHAM, Norfolk. (gr HICHAM par. (48)
Samford hund. &. SuffoVi, 4 m. E. of Xaylaiul- 57,



where R. Bret joins the Stour. Acres 1020 ; pop.
259; poor r. 1197. (Samfd. Incorp.) ; real prop.
2376^. ; charities 31. St. Mary Cur. (Norw.) val.
2387., patr. Trustees. igg HICHAM hmlt. (88)
Barugh tnshp. W. K York. 2 m. N\V r . of Barnes-
ley- 172.

HICHAM BOOTH tnshp. ( ) with W.-Close,
Wballcy par. Mid. Lancash. 3 m. NW. of Burnlev
-211. Acres 1400 ; pop. 960 ; poor r. 1867. (Burnl
U.); real prop. 2716/. giT H., COLD. See
COLD HICHAM, Norlhmptn. Sip H.-DYKES
tnshp. ( ) Pontelaud par. SE. Northmbrld.

6 m. SSW. of Morpeth-289, W. Bateson, Esq.
Pop. 20.

HICHAM FERRERS HUNDRED (54) E. North-
mptn., called HecJiam in ' Domesdy.' contains the
pars, of Bozeat vie., Chelveston, Easton-Maudit,
Hargrave reci., Higham- Ferrers ., Higham Park,
Irchester v., Newton Bromshold r., Raunds v.,
Ringstead ., Rushdenr., Stanwickr., Strixtonr.,
Wollaston v., and part of Farndish ; acres 30,430,
pop. 9156, houses 1894. * H. F. DEANERY,
archdy. of Northampton, dioc. of Peterboro', in-
cludes the benetices in the above and Huxloe
hunds.

P. M. HICHAM FERRERS par. in the above
hund. 14m. ENE. of Northampton, Co from Lon-
don, on a height near Peterboro' rail, and R. Nen,
having traces of a castle b. by Thorn. Earl of
Lancaster, or the Ferrers, who held it, was a mkt.
town and a boro' by prescription, returning 1 mem-
ber (from Q. Mary) till disfranchised by the Re-
form act ; and is nominally governed under charter
of Chas. II. by a mayor, recorder, 7 aid., 13 bur-
gesses, etc. Acres 22UO; pop. 1030 + 4, some lace
and shoe makers ; houses 201, with a chapel, town-
hall, old cross at the market-stead, almshouse,
Abp. Chichele's free gram, school (10/.), and a bede
house (2G/.) in ruins, both originally parts of the
Abp.'s College found. 1420 ; poor r. 487Z. on 3847/.
(Wellingboro' U.) ; real prop. 4598/. ; charities
72/. St. Mary Vic. (Pet.) val. with Chelveston
365Z., patr. Earl Fitzwilliam, who has the manor ;
church, early eng. and later styles, has a 6-sided
crocketted spire of 99ft. on a tower of 71 ft (reb.
1632), screen, 10 stalls, doorway with bas-reliefs,
and 10 brasses from 1337 (large one of a priest
canopied) and other mons., including W. Chichelo
(double canopied brass, 1425) kin to the archbp.,
who was a native (d. 1443) and founder of All
Souls, Oxon. as well as of the above. Britton,
the musical small-coal man, also a native. Fairs,

7 Mar. 28 June, Th. before 5 Aug. 1 1 Oct. 6 Dec.
HiGHAM-GouioN par. (46) Flitt hund. iS". Beds.

6m. SE. of Ampthill-45. Acres 770; pop. 109;
poor r. 92/. (Ampt. U.); real prop. 1532/. St.
Margaret Rect. (Ely) val. 305/., patr. Rev. J. R.
Wardale, rector; church, has a tomb to Castell
the orientalist, author of the ' L; xicon Hepta-
glotton,' and sometime rector. ^" H.-GRKEX
hmlt. (51) Gazeley par. W. S.ffolk, 1 m. W.
of Bury St. Edmund's. Acres 3200 ; pop. 370 ;
real prop. 25947. $gr H. Hills (1)5 m. S. of
Walt ham Abbey, S W. Essex, 3. Harman, Esq.
belonged to Peter de Valoines at ' Domesdy.'
(gf H.-ON-TIIE HILL par. (63) Sparkenhoe
hund. SW.Leicest. 3m. WNW. of Hinckley-99,
near Ashby-de -la-Zouch canal and Watling St.,
contains Lindley and Rowden. Acres 2880 ; pop.
55(1; poor r. 2727. (Bed worth Incorp.); real prop.
48057. ; charities 47. St. Peter llr.ct. (Pet.) val.
5527., patr. Rev. J. Fisher, rector. //. House, J.
Applethwaite, Esq. Roman coins, rings, wen-
found 1C07. g^ H.-PAHK. cxt. par. (51)
Iligham-Ferrers hund. E. Norlhmptn. 3 m. SSK.
of il.-Fem.-rs- 05. Acres 6'40; pop. 12.

3 L 2



884



HIG



HIG



HIGHBEACH WARREN (9) Balcombe par. 2V.
Sussex, 3 m. N. of Cuckfield-38.

HIGHBRAY. See BRAY, Devon.

P. HIGHBRIDGE hmlt. (20) Burnham par. Mid.
Somerset. 6 m. NNE. of Bridg water- 139, on R.
Brue, and Bristol rail. Pop. 207. |^ HIGH-
BRIDGE hmlt. (20) St. Decuman par. NW. So-
merset, near Watchet-156.

HIGHBROOKS hmlt. (18) Somerton par. Mid.
Somerset, near Somerton- 123, and Gt. West. rail.

P. HIGHBURY hmlt. (7) Islington par. E. Mid-
dlsx. 3 m. N. of St.Paul's, an S-police stat., so called
from a small romaii camp {bury) here, was held
by the priors of St. John, Clerkenwell, who had a
moated house called Little St. John's Wood, on
the site of the camp opposite H. Barn tavern,
which Jack Straw, one of Wat Tyler's mob, pulled
down 1381 ; afterwards by Thos. Cromwell, the
Crown, the Apsleys, etc., and now the Cole-
brookes. Christ Church Cur. (Lon.) val. /.,
patr. Trustees; church, cruciform, b. 1847-8 by
Allom, for 6000/. H. Park, late A. Chapman, Esq.
M. P. ; H. House, Jos. Wilson, Esq. b. 1781, with
Mr. Aubert's observatory adjoining on the old
site, where roman tiles, etc. were found. Near it
is H. College, b. 1826 for 22.000Z. for students for
the Independent ministry, now a Ch. of Engld.
training college, also H. Crescent, the largest
about London. Gavelkind custom prevails here.

HIGHCLERE par. (12) Lower Evingar hund.
.2V. Hants. 5 m. W. of Kingsclere-54, which was
held from before the Conquest by Bps. of Win-
chester, was given by Edw. VI. to the Fitzwil-
liams, and came through the Sawyers to the
Herberts. Acres 4560; pop. 468 + 2; poorr. 296i
(Kingsc. U.); real prop. 3286t ; charities 1 11., of
which 31. to Band's school. St. Michael Sect.

SVin.) val. 213/., patr. Earl Carnarvon of H.
ark; church, reb. by Attorney-gen. Sawyer
(Chas. II.), who is buried here. The park is 13m.
round, well wooded, with fine views from Sidon
Hill (943 ft. above sea), many rare american
plants, cedars of Lebanon (from seeds brought
over by Pococke), and at the castle (reb. 1841-9)
are family and other pictures by Vandyke, Rey-
nolds, Gainsborough, Weenix, etc. Roman camps
are at Beacon Hill (900 ft.) and Ladle Hill, with
several barrows around. Millar the antiquary
and defender of Rowlev's poems was a native.

Highdah Park (78) *3 m. S. of Hawkshead, N.
Lancash.

Highden, or High Deane (9) 4 m. W. of Steyn-
ing, W. Sussex, Sir H. Goring, Bt

Highdoum Farm (53) 4 m. SE. of Warwick, S.
Warwick.

Higher Arwenack ( ) near , Cornwall, G. C.
Fox, Esq. of Grove Hill. <^ H. Beach Hall
(81) near Macclesfield, Chesh. Sir E. H. Stracey,
Bt.

Hiyhfield (81) 2 m. E. of Stockport, NE. Chesh.
H. Barlow, Esq. ^ Highfeld (52) 3 m. SSE.
of St.Neot's, S.Hunts. giP Highfield (72) 2 m.
SW. of Uttoxeter, NE. Stafford. J. C. Kinners-
ley, Esq. (Jip HIGHFIELD hmlt. ( ) Ecclesall-
Bierlow tnshp N. R. York. 4 m. SW. of Sheffield
-162, seat of W. Greenwood, Esq.

Hiyhfield Farm (52) 4 m. NNW. of St. Neot's,
S. Hunts, gg- H. Hall (82) near Chesterfield,
N. Derby. V. Eyre, Esq. (^ H. House (81)
1 m. NW. of Leek, N. Staffrd. |^ H. Hurst
(35) near Lydney, W. Gloucest.

Highfie/ds, or Polehill (7) 2 m. SE. of Uxbridge,
W. JfitMesex.

Hiyhford ( ) 2 m. WSW. of Sunderland, NE.
Durham,

P. HIGHGATE chplry. (1) Hornsey and St,



Pancras pars. Finsbury and Marylebone boroughs,
E. Middlesex, 5 m. NNW. of St. Paul's, on H.
Hill, where Jack Cade beheaded Thorpe 1461, is
a healthy spot commanding a fine prospect of
London, and so called from the tollgate belonging
to the bishop, which stood at the top on the Gt.
N.road. Pop. 4302; houses 676, many old, with
3 chapels, savings bk. (2021Z. from 161 depositors),
many boarding schools, including a Jews' sch. and
synagogue, cemetery of 20 acres (established
1839), water works, Chomeley's free gram, school
(7771.) and chapel (now in ruins) on the site of
an old hermitage or lepers' hosp. (?) found, by
W. Pole in Edw. IV.'s time. Wollaston's an'd
Pauncefort's almsh. (150/.), girls' school (35/.),
asylum for idiots, small pox hosp. (brought
from King's Cross) ; poor r. 1. ; real prop. /. ;
charities 1058/. St. Michael Cur. (Lon.) val.
550/., patr. Bishop, who holds the manor ; church,
reb. 1832 on the brow of the hill in place of
Chomeley's chapel, has tombs of Platt (founder
of the fellowships at Camb.), Bishop Atter-
bary's brother (once lecturer), Chief Justice
Pemberton, the Paunceforts, and Coleridge and his
nephew Hartley, who both died here (the former,
1834). Baker the chronicler was a resident, and
the great Lord Bacon died at Lord Arundel's
house from a cold caught in trying the expe-
riment of preserving a dead fowl with snow.
Opposite Cromwell Ho. (now a school) where the
Protector lived, is his secretary's, or Marvell's,
cottage. At the taverns here travellers used to
swear over a pair of horns " not to kiss the maid
when you may kiss the mistress, unless you like
the maid better, not to eat brown bread when
you can get white, unless you like the brown
better," and so forth. A point near Southgate
Ho. commands a noble view of great extent. To
save the steep hill, which rises 1 in 12 at some
parts, a tunnel 300 yards long under Hornsey
Lane was projected by Vazie 1809, through the
blue clay, which falling in when about 130 yds.
were cut, an archway with 3 semi-arches at top
was substituted, and opened 1813, the new road
leading past the Whittington almshouses and the
site of a lazar house found. (Edw. IV.) by W.
Poole ; fossil copal, etc. were found in the cutting.

HIGHGATE- LANE vil. ( ) Lepton tnshp. W.
R. York. 2 m. E. of Huddersfield-189.

HIGHHEAD. See IVEGILL, Cumbrld.

Highland House (25) near Ivy Bridge, S.Devon.
J. Templer, Esq.

Highlands, The, or Hill country of Scotland,
bounded partly by the Grampians, and tying W.
and N. of a line from Dumbarton, through the
passes of Aberfoil, Comrie, Killiecrankie (all in
Perth.) to Braemar and round to Inverness, which
is a sort of capital, is a land of mountains, rivers,
and lakes, peopled by the Gael or Celt, a race
differing in blood, language, dress, from their
Saxon conquerors, before whom their forefathers
retired to the hills like the old Britons, to whom
they were allied. Here they lived in a savage
and unsettled condition ; were brave and hardy,



Online LibraryJames A SharpA new gazetteer, or, Topographical dictionary of the British Islands and narrow seas : comprising concise descriptions of about sixty thousand places, seats, natural features, and objects of note ... and an appendix ... (Volume 1) → online text (page 246 of 293)