but given to fighting and plunder, and known
to their lowland neighbours only by repeated
forays. Under their chiefs, they remained inde-
pendent of the Scottish kings, though tamed by
Jas. V. (the Snowdon knight of Scott's ' Lady
of the Lake') and some of his predecessors. In
1645, most of the clans assisted Montrose in be-
half of Ch. I. ; they were reduced by Cromwell,
who planted garrisons at Inverness, Fort William,
etc. ; rose again at the revolution for Jas. II.,
and for his children, under Marr 1715, and
again 1745, when with Ch. Stuart at their head
they marched to Derby ; but in the mean time
the" country had been laid open by military roads
made by Gen. Wade 1737, and the power of the
chiefs was broken 1748 by the abolition of here-
ditary jurisdictions. Surface, about 13,500 sq. m.,
including Suthrld., Ross, Inverness., Argyll., parts
of Elgin, Banff., Perth., Stirling, Dumbrtn. ; pop.
about 305,000, much reduced since the last cen-
tury by emigration, and dispersed over sheep-
farms, or along the coast (and in the West. Islds.),
but still gaelic- speaking. The first coach went
through the highlands 1811 ; steamers now run
along the W. shores, and through the Caledonian
canal ; and the value of land, stock, etc. has
greatly increased (7 or 8 times in some cases) by
the making of good roads. The clans and their
badges were and are : Buchanan (S. highlands^
birch, Cameron (Middle) oak, Campbell (W.S
myrtle, Chisholm (X.) alder, Colquhoun (S.)
hazel, Gumming (XE.) common sallow, Drummond
holly, Farquharson (NE.) purple foxglove, Fer-
guson poplar, Forbes (XE.) broom, Frazer (N.)
yew, Gordon (X.) iry, Graham (S.) laurel, Grant
(Mid.) cranberry heath, Gunn rosetvort, Lament
(W.) crab-apple tree, M'Allister five-leaved heath,
M'Donald bell heath, M'Donell mountain heath,
M'Dougall (W.) cypress, M'Farlane cloudberry
bush, M'Gregor pine, M'lntosh (Mid.) boxwood,
M'Kay (X.) bullrush, M'Kenzie (X.) deer-grass,
M'Kinnon St. John's wort, M'Lachlan (W.)
mountain ash, M'Lean (W.) blackberry heath,
M'Leod (X.) red whortleberry, M'Xab rose black-
berry, M'Xeil sea-weed, M'Pherson (Mid.) varie-
gated boxwood, M'Quarrie blackthorn, M'Rae (X.)
fir clubmoss, Munro eagle's feathers, Menzies ash,
Murray juniper, Ogilvie hawthorn, Oliphant great,
maple, Robertson (S.) fern, Rose sweetbriar, Ross
bearberry, Sinclair (X.) clover, Stewart (S.) thistle,
Sutherland cat ' s-tail-grass. The hill country of
S. Scotld. is called the ' Hielands ' or ' Heelands.'
Highlands ( ) 1 m. E. of Uckfield, J Sussex,
T. Woodward, Esq., on the Downs.
lands (1) 2 m. E. of Wanstead, SW. Essex, P.
Labouchere, Esq., with a conspicuous mausoleum
b. by the Raymonds who had it. gap" Highlands
(34) near Calne, N. Wilts. W. Wayte, Esq.
HIGHLAWS tnshp. ( ) Hartburn par. SE.
Northmbrld. 7 m. WSW. of Morpeth-289, on R.
Wansbeck. Pop. 16. tJiT HIGHLAWS, HIGH
and Low, or HKIGHLEY, tnshp. ( ) E. North-
mbrld. 2 m. XW. of Morpeth-289, contains HIGH-
LAW GATE vil. and Espley. Pop. Ill ; poor r.
211. (Morp. U.).
HIGHLEADON (43) 5 m. XW. of Gloucester,
N W. Gloucest. has at //. Green a meet for the
Ledbury hounds. Real prop. 1156/.
HIGHLEY par. (61) Stottesden hand. SE. Sa-
lop, 6 m. XE. of Cleobury Mortimer-137, on R.
Severn. Acres 1460 ; pop. 360 ; poor r. 81/. (C.
Mortimer U.); real prop. /. , charities 6/. St.
Mary Vic. (Heref.) val. 300/., patr. J. Perry,
Esq. l^P H., ST. MARY. See HIGHTLEIGH,
HIGHLIGHT cxt. par. ( ) Dinas Powis hund.
.S7-;. Glamorgan. 7 m. SW. of Cardiff-160. Pop.
HIGHLOW lordship (81) Hope par. N.Derby.
near Castleton-164. Pop. 45 ; poor r. 17Z. (Bake-
llhjlimead (41) 6 m. SW. of Lampeter, S. Car-
digan. D. Williams, Esq. on R. Teivi.
Hiqhmeadow (43^ near Xewenham, W. Glou-
cest. V isct. Gage, whose ancestor, De Gaga, settled
here at the Conquest.
HIGHNAM hmlt. (43) Churcham par. NW.
Gloucest. 2 m. WXW. of Glouccster-102. Pop.
192 ; real prop. 3809Z. H. Court, Sir J. W. Guise,
Bt, through the Cookes, who b. it from a design
by I. Jones, has an original portrait of Cromwell,
Alg. Sydney by Lely, Mrs. Lane who assisted
Ch. II.'s escape, Madonna by Titian, etc.
Highroyd House ( ) near , W. R. York. T.
Highside ( ) 3 m. SE. of Cockermouth, W.
HIGHTAE vil. Loehmaben par. Mid. Dumfries.
3 m. SW. of Lockerby-67, is one of ' Four Towns'
held, they say, by mere possession, since Bruce's
day. Pop. 436.
HIGHTLEIGH, or HIGHLEY, ST. MARY, ext.
par. (21) Stoodleigh par. N.Devon. 3 m. XW. of
Bampton-161, on R. Ex. Pop. 24.
HIGHTOWN, or HIETON, vil. Roxburgh par.
NE. Roxb. 2 m. SSW. of Kelso.
HIGHWAY hmlt. (30) Lanteglos par. N. Corn-
wall, 6 m. XXW. of Bodmin-234, on a branch of
R. Camel. igT HIGHWAY par. (34) Potterne
hund. AT. Wilts. 4 m. NE. of Calne-87. Acres
950; pop. 147; poor r. 33/. (Calne U.); real
prop. 1041Z. Living, a Cur. with Bremhill.
Highway Farm (7) 2 m. N. of Uxbndge, NW.
HIGHWEEK par. (22) Teinbridge hund. 5.
Devon. 1 m. XW. of Xewton-Bushel-188, near R.
Teign. Acres 2 140 ; pop. 1 303 + 20 ; poor r. 50 1 /.
(Xewton Abbot U.) ; real prop. 5471/. ; charities
51/., of which Wl. to Gilberd's almsh., and 51. to
school. Living, a Cur. with Teignton Regis.
Highwood (15) 2 m. XE. of Ringwood, SW.
Highwood Hill (7) at Hendon, N. Middlesex,
was the seat of Wiiberforce (who died here 1833),
fonnerly of Lord William Russell the patriot,
Mrs. Porter the actress, and Lady Raffles. igp" H.
House (55) 5 m. XXW. of Leominster, N. Here-
ford. T. Colman, Esq.
HIGHWORTH, CRICKLADE, and STAPLE HUN-
DRED (34) N. Wilts, contains the pars, of Ashton-
Keynes vie., Blunsdon, St. Andrew rect. *, Castle-
Eaton r., Cricklade (St. Mary and St. Sampson)
r. and v., Eisey v., Hannington v.*, Highworth
v.*, Latton v., Liddiard- Millicent, Marston-Mai-
sey r., Poulton cur., Purton v., Rodborne-Cheney
p.*, Shorncote r., Somerford Keynes v., Stanton
Fitzwarren r.*, Stratton St. Margaret v.* (where
poor ho. is), and parts of Coleshill and Inglesham
>. ; acres 51,520, pop. 15,161, houses 2889. See
P. M. HIGHWORTH par. in the above bund.
Cricklade boro', 40 m. X. of Salisbury, 74 from
London, on a hill near Gt. West. rail, and Wilts,
and Berks, canal, a petty sess. town and nominal
boro', containing Broad-Blunsdon, S. Marsden,
Sevenhampton curs., Bury-BIunsdon with a ro-
man camp, Eastrop, Fresdon, and Westrop, is
Wrde of ' Domesdy.' was summoned to send
members to Parl. but made no return, and was
held by Edmd. de Langley and the St. Johns.
Acres 9810, limestone, etc.; pop. 3939 + 81, of
town 891 + 26 ; houses 162, of stone, with a ch.ipcl,
2 banks, school (26/.) ; poor r. 2339Z. on 16,8587. ;
real prop. 20,966/. ; charities 277/., partly for ap-
prenticing. St. Michael Vic. (Gl. and Br.) val. with
the above curs. 555/., patr. Preb. of Sarum ; church.
(Hen. VI.), with 2 chapels, and tombs of the
Warnefords of W. Place. Highw. and Swind. P. L.
Union, contains the pars, marked * in the above
hund. with Bishopstone, Chisledon, Drayrot-
Foliat, Hinton Parva, Liddington, Swindon, Wan-
boro', Wroughton in Wilts., and Inglesham in
Berks.; acres 25,030, pop. 15,559, cases relieved
(yr. 1846-7) 2529 (out-door 2091), expend. 8895A,
prop, rated 87,31<5t Sup. Registry comprises the
same; pop. 15,559 + 294. It belongs to Swindon
New County Court district. Mkt. D. Wed.
Fairs, 13 Aug. horses, etc. 11 Oct. hiring.
Higney Wood (64) 5 m. W. of Ramsey, N.
HILARY, ST., par. (33) Penwith hund. SW.
Cornwall, 5 m. E. of Penzance-281, near Mount's
Bav, contains Marazion (car. and mkt. town)
and St. Michael's Mount, which is 231 ft. high,
and with its old priory, etc. belongs to the St.
Aubyns. Acres 3450 (or 3228), slate, granite,
and copper and tin at Wheal Fortune, etc. ; pop.
3649 + 52, miners ; poor r. 408Z. (Penz. U.) ; real
prop. 6263Z., of which 1264Z. on mines ; charities
3Z. Living, a Vic. (Exet.) held by Palmer the
nonconformist and Hitchins the astronomer, val.
311Z., patr. Duke of Leeds and others; church,
on a hill, with tombs of the Godolphins of Tre-
veneage, Pennecks of Tregembo, Milletts of Ennis.
Hg= H., ST., par. (36) Cowbridge hund. SE.
Glamorgan. 2 m. SE. of Cowbridge-173, has the
remains of Beaupre or Bewper Castle, the old seat
of the Sitsyllts. Acres 900, limestone ; pop. 164 ;
poor r. 451. (Bridgend U.) ; real prop. 1684
Living, a Vic. (Llan.) val. 44Z., patr. Chapter.
HILBEI K tnshp. ( ) Brough par. NE. West-
mrld, 1 m. N. of Brough-271. Pop. 42, some
coal miners; poor r. 30Z. (Eastward U.); real
prop. 852Z, H. Hall, .
P. HILBOROUGH par. (65) S. Greenhoe hund.
SW. Norfolk, 6 m. S. of Swaifham-93, on R.
Wisey, near E. Count, rail. Acres 3230 ; pop.
337 + 2 ; poor r. 235Z. (Swaffh. U.) ; real prop.
1935Z. ; charities 4Z. All Saints Rect. (Norw.)
val. 390Z., patr. Rev. J. Dolignon, rector ; church,
of flint. H. House, B. Caldwell, Esq. Dean Colet,
founder of St. Paul's school, was chaplain to St.
Margaret's, now in ruins.
HILBRE ISLD. ext. par. (79) Lower Wirrall
hund. NW. Cheshire, 9 m. W. of Birkenhead-199,
at R. Dee's mouth. Pop. 19. See HeUn-e Point.
Hilburn (41)1 m. W. of Taghinon, 5. Wexford,
T. R. Hawkshaw, Esq.
HILCOMBE tythg. ( ) Ilminster par. S. Somer-
set, near Ilminster- 136. Real prop. 2305Z.
Hilcot (72) 1 m. NNE. of EccleshalJ, W. Staf-
ford. H. Hall, 1 m. SE. is a meet for the N.
HILCOTT tvthg. (14) North Newton par. Mid.
Wilts. 7 m. ESE. of Devizes-89, near R. Avon.
HILCOTT-END tythg. (44) Ampney-Crucis par.
NE. Gloucest. 2 m. NE. of Chipping-Campden
HILDA, ST., chplry. ( ) S. Shields tnshp. NE.
Durham, near Shields-276.
P. HILDEN ' borough ' (6) 1 m. NW. of Ton-
bridge-30, S W. Kent. Real prop. 5889Z. Living,
a Cur. (Cant.) val. 120Z., patr. Vicar of Tonbridge.
HILDENLEY tnshp. ( ) Appleton-le-Street par.
N. R. York. 2 m. W. of Malton-217, near York
rail, and R. Derwent. Acres 450 ; pop. 22. H.
House, H. Darley, Esq. (?)
HILDERSHAM par. (57) Chilford hund. S. Cam-
bridge. 2 m. NW. of Linton-48, on a branch of R.
Cam. Acres 1450; pop. 238 + 2; poor r. 191Z.
(Lint. U.) ; real prop. 1900Z. Holy Trinity Rect.
(Ely) val. 288Z., patr. Rev. C. Goodwin; church,
has brasses of R. Pary 1408 (5J ft. by 3f ) and two
other Parys, and a skeleton. H. Hall, .
Hilderstone ( ) near , Lancasliire. gif" HIL-
DERSTONE tnshp. (72) Stone par. N. Stafford.
4 m. E. of Stone-141. Pop. 501 ; real prop. 3169Z.
Living, a Cur. (Lich.) val. 63Z., patr. Trustees of
late J. Bourne, Esq. of H. Hall.
HILDERTHORPE tnshp. ( ) with Wilsthorpe,
Bridlington par. E. R. York. 1 m. S. of Bridling-
ton-206, on the coast. Acres 480 ; pop. 116 ; poor
r. 16Z. (Bridling. U.) ; real prop. 1371/.
P. HILGAY par. (65) Clackclose hund. SW.
Norfolk, 3 m. S. of Dovmham Market-84, on R.
Wissey, near Lynn and Ely rail., had a small hosp.
or cell to Ramsay abbey. Acres 7340, fenny ; pop.
1515 + 34; poor r. 415Z. (Downh. U.) ; real prop.
11,767Z. ; charities 224Z., of which 131. to school.
All Saints Rect. (Norw.) once held by P. Fletcher
the poet, val. 1291Z., patr. Rev.W. J. Parkes, rector.
H. House, W. Jones, Esq.
HILL par. (35) Lower Berkeley hund. W. Glou-
cest. 3 m. N. of Thornbury-124, near the Severn.
Acres 2020 ; pop. 227 ; poor r. 146Z. (Thornb. U.) ;
real prop. 4321Z. ; charities 2Z. St. Michael Don.
(Gl. and Br.) val. 162Z., patr. Sir H. J. Fust of
H. Court. rgP HILL tythg. (11) Droxford par.
S. Hants. 2 m. ESE. of Bishop's Waltham-65.
Pop. 277. H. Place, . |^ HILL hmlt. (11)
Milbrook par. S W. Hants. 2 m. WN W. of South-
ampton-74. Real prop. 15,405Z. tgjT HILL tnshp.
( ) Hales-Owen par. Salop, locally in Worcest.
near Hales-Owen- 11 7. Pop. 936. ^T HILL
tvthg. (21) Bishop's Lydeard par. W. Somerset.
3m. NE. of Milverton-149. gST HILL limit.
(53) Leamington Hastings par. Mid. Warwick.
2 m. NNW. of Leamington, on R. Avon. Pop.
109. ^i" HILL vil. (53) Stoneleigh par. Mid.
Warwick. 3 m. S. of Coventry-91. <&* HILL and
H. HOOKS vils. (62) Sutton-Coldfield par. NW.
Waru-ick. near Sutton-Coldfield- 11 2. ^ HILL
tnsbp. (54) with Moor, Fladbury par. SE. Wor-
cest. 3 m. NE. of Pershore-102. Acres 1940 ; pop.
334 + 3 ; poor r. 93Z. (Persh. U.).
Hill, The ( ) near , Somerset. S. Bythesea,
Esq. ^ Hill, The (55) 3 m. S. of fenbury,
HILL-BRIDGE vil. ( ) Nether Hallam par. 2 m.
W. of Sheffield-162. ^" H. Castle (48) near
Killinick, 5. Wexford, G. M. Dance, Esq. ijip H.
Croom, near , Staffrd. a seat of the Hvlls from
1249. i^" H. Cottage (7) 2 m. SE. of Harrow,
Mid. Middlesex. ^ H. End (46) 2m. E. of
Woburn, SW. Beds. ^ H. Court (43) near
Ross, Hereford, a seat of the Evanses. giT H.
DEVEISILL par. (14) Heytesbury hund. S W. Wilts.
3 m. S. of Warrninster-96, on R. Dever, was the
birthplace of Gen. Ludlow (1615-93). Acres 1420 ;
pop. 118 ; poor r. 173Z. (Warm ins. U.) ; real prop.
1452Z. Living, a Cur. (Sal.) val. 69Z., patr. Pre-
bendary. tgjT H. END tythg. (13) Cumner par.
N. Berks. 4 m, NNW. of Abingdou-56. Pop.
103 ; real prop. 806Z. |g|~ H. End (55) 5 m.
SSW. of Bromyard, E. Hereford. ^ H. End
(7) 2 m. W. of St Alban's, W. Herts. f^~ H.
End (62) 3 m. ENE. of Walsall, -S. Stafford.
glT H. END hmlt. (55) Leigh par. W. Worcest.
4 m.WSW. of Worcester-Ill. Pop. 36. ^" H.
END hmlt. (43) Longdon par. S. Worcest. 3 m.
SW. of Upton-Ill. US= H. FOOT hmlt. ( )
Nether Hallam tnshp. W. R. York. 2 in. W. of
Sheffield-162. i^" H. Green (47) 5 m. SW. of
Saffron Walden, NW. Essex. f& H. GREEN
vil. (6) Stockbury par. N. Kent, 4 m. NE. of
Maidstone-34. jgjp H. Grove (10) near Bern-
bridge, I. of Wight, S. Hants. E. Wise, Esq.
faT"//. Grove (79) near Cahersiveen, S W.Kerry,
J. Primrose, Esq. tgg" H. Grove House ( ) near
Wells, E. Somerset. E. Tuson, Esq. (?) gJT H.
Hall (1) 2 m. SE. of Epping, <S W. Essex, Rev.
Sir E. B. Smijth, Bt. (pron. Smith, but so spelt)
partlv b. 1548 by Secretary Smith, in tudor
style" igP H. Hall ( ) near . Stafford. T.
Cart wright, Esq.
HOOK vil. (62) Sutton-
Coldfield par. NW. Warwick, near Sutton-Cold-
field-112. giP H. House, near Irvine, Ayr.
J. M'Kerrell, Esq. i^" H. House (12) 5 m. SW.
of Reading, S. Berks. ^ H. House ( ) 6 m.
NE. of Bernard Castle, S. Durham, a seat of the
Allans. igT //. House (34) 2 m. NW. of Min-
chinhampton, J/jW. Gloucester. Sir J. D. Paul, Bt.
of Rodboro'. gif ^T. House (11) near Hamble-
don, SE. Hants. T. Smith, Esq. (?) l IT.
//owse (7) 1 m. SW. of Stanmore, N. Middlesex,
E. Simpson, Esq. igaJT H. House (42) near Aber-
gavennv, N W. Monmouth. W. Hill, Esq. ^ /T.
House (20) 4 m. NW. by N. of Bridgwater, Mid.
Somerset. |gp H. House (48) near Ipswich, &
Suffolk. t& H. HOUSK (6) 4 m. N. of Croydon,
NE. Surrey. l^ H. House (8) 3 m. SSW. of
Reigate, <S. Surrey. ggp //. House (8) 5 m. S.
of Dorking, S. Surrey, igp" H. House (43) near
Staunton, SW. Worcest. i^T H. House, The
( ) close to Stourbridge, N. Worcest. J. A. Ad-
denbrooke, Esq. ( ?) tgg" H. Houses (45) 2 m. E.
of Witney, Mid. Oxford. &FH. Houses (55) 4 m.
NW. of "Cleobury Mortimer, S. Salop, belong to
HILL HUNDRED (84) Parts of Lindsey, E. Lin-
coln. contains the pars, and benefices of Ashby-
Puerorum we., Aswardby rect., Brinkhill r.,
Claxby-Pluckacre, Bag Enderby r., Fulletby r.,
Greetham r., Hagworthingham r., Hamering-
ham r., Harrington r., Langton r., S. Ormsby r.,
Oxcombe r., Salmonby r., Sausthorpe r., Scrafield
(r., with Haineringham), Somersby r., Tetford r.,
Walmsgate, Winceby r., and Worlaby ; acres
24,980, pop. 3704, houses 720. * H. DEANERY,
archdy. and dioc. of Lincoln, contains the benefices
above, with Asgarby c.
HiU Mansion (40) near St. Bride's, S W. Pem-
broke. a seat of the Phillipses.
P. HILL, OLD ( ) 3 m. from Dudley, S. Staf-
ford. giT //. Park, or Valons (6) close to
Westerham, W. Kent, T. Jesson, Esq. formerly
seat of Earl Ilil^borough. i^ //. Place (1 1 ) 2 m.
ESE. of Bishop's WaUham, SE. Hants. "//.
Place (8) 7 m. NNW. of Guildford, NW. Surrey.
(gT //. Place (9) near Horsham, N. Sussex,
Duke of Norfolk, an old seat.
P. Hill, Redware ( ) near Rugeley, Staffd.
P. HILL, SOUTH (89) nearChorley, S. Lancash.
giT H. Top (98) 2 m. ESE. of Ke.ndal, S. West-
mrld. R. Fisher, Esq. gST H.-Tor hmlt. ( ) N.
Bierley tnshp. W. R. York, near Bradford-196.
g^- H.-Top hmlt. (88) Lindley chplry. W. R.
Fork. 2 m. NW. of Huddersfield-189. <& H.-
TOP hmlt. (82) Kimberworth tnshp. W. R. York.
2 m. W. of Rotherham-159. |gT H.-Top hmlt.
( ) Sandall Magna tnshp. W. R. York, near
WakefieW-182. |Jg H.-Top tnshp. (87) Wragby
par. W. R. York. 3 m.' SW. of Pontefract-177.
Pop. 92; poor r. '201. gf H.-Top (81) 5m.
WXW. of Sheffield- 102, W.R.York. ^" H.-
UPON COT tnshp. (55) Bitterley par. S. Salop, 5 m.
W. ofCleobury Mortimcr-137l Pop. 10. igg" H.
Ville (35) 4 m. SW. of Castle Gregory, W. Kerry,
near Brandon Bay, J. J. Hickson, Esq.
HILI.AM tnshp. (87) Monk Frystone par. W. R.
York. 5 m. NE. of Pontefract-177. Acres IfiGO;
pop. 342 + 4 ; poor r. 397. (Gt. Preston Incorp.).
Hillary Mount ( ) near Mallow, N. Cork.
Hii.i.iiouo (54) 5m. WSW. of Stratford, SW.
Warwick, on R. Avon, is Shakspeare's " Haunted
HILLRROOK vil. (43) S. Ballinacorbar <S. Wick-
low. 3 m. S. Tinehely-53. H. House, .
Hillcote (82) 2 m. NE. of Alfreton, E. Derby.
P. HILLKND vil. Dalgety and Inverkeithing
para. S. Fifi; near Invcrkeithing-13. Pop. 281.
Hillersdotvn (21) 2 m. W. of Collumpton, NE.
Devon. J. Hole, Esq.
HILLESDEN par. (45) Buckingham bund. NW.
Bucks. 3 m. S. of Buckingham-55, on a branch of
R. Ouse. Acres 2150 ; pop. 262 + 1, lace-makers ;
poor r. ?.187. (Bucks. U.) ; real prop. 37257. All
Saints Cur. (Oxon.) val. 641., patr. Christ Ch.
Coll. ; church, b. 1493, has tombs of Judge Boate,
and of Alex, and other Dentons, whose old seat,
now down, was taken 1644, by Manchester, etc.
HILLESLEY tythg. (35) Hawkesbury par. S W.
Glouctst. 5 m. N. of Chipping Sodbury-108. Pop.
566 ; real prop. 25377.
HILLFAKKEXCE par. (21) Taunton hund. S.
Somerset. 3 m. NE. of Wellington- 148, on Gt.
West. rail. Acres 850 ; pop. 564 ; poor r. 274/.
(Wellingt. U.) ; real prop. 2507/. Living, a Cur.
(Ba. and W.) val. 153Z., patr. Trinity Coll. Oxon.
HILLFIELD par. chplry. (18) Cerne hund. Mid.
Dorset. 3 m. NW. of Cerne- Abbas-127. Acres
2120; pop. 147; poor r. 117Z. (Cerne U.); real
Hillfield Lodge (7) 2 m. E. of Watford, S.
Herts. J. Timmins, Esq.
HILLHAMPTON hmlt. (55) Hartley par. NW.
Worcest. 7 m. NW. of Worcester-Ill. Pop. 159 ;
poor r. 50/. (Marti. U.) ; real prop. 151 U.
Hillhead ( ) near Ballymena, Mid. Antrim,
W. Gihon, Esq. ^?r HILLHEAD vil. Cockpen
par. N. Edinb. 6 m. SE. of Edinbro'. Pop. 76.
Hillhouse, near Dundonald, W . Ayr. M'Ker-
rel, Esq. giT HILLHOUSE vil. Dunfermline
par. SW. Fife, near Dunfermline- 16. igf Hill-
house, near Hawick, Peebles, close to a beacon.
HILLHOUSE FIELD, a barony at Leith, N. Edin-
bro\ was joined to it 1630.
P. HILLIKGDON par. (7) Elthorne hund. W. Mid-
dlesex, 1 m. SE. of Uxbridge-15, near Gt. West,
rail. andGd. Junct. canal, aT-police stat., contain-
ing Uxbridge (a Cur. and mkt. town on R. Colne),
Colham Green, Gowld Green, and 4 other hmlts.,
was Hillendone of ' Domesdy.' and held with Cole-
ham by Roger de Montgomery, from whom it came
to the Salisburys, Lacies, Stranges, Stanleys,
now to De Burghs of W. Drayton. Acres 4720 ;
pop. 9246+236, some brick in aker s ; poor r. 1718/.
on 22,7157. (Uxbr. U.); real prop. 18,6417.; cha-
rities 8787. St. J. Baptist Vic. (Lon.) val. 4897.,
patr. Bishop ; church, of flint, had 2 chantries,
and contains 3 brasses from 1479, of Ld. Strange,
etc., with effigies and mons. of Sir E. Carr, Earl
Uxbridge, Russell grandson of Cromwell, Rich the
harlequin, of Cowley Green, and a library left
by Reynardson the naturalist, of Cedar Ho. "(now
Capt. Macbean), so called from a tree which
(1779) was 53 ft. high, 12J to nearly 16 ft. girth,
with branches 8 to 12 ft. girth, spreading over a
space 89 to 96 ft. diam. The old manor house is
down, and the rectory stands on the site of a
moated seat of the Bps. of Worcester. Ch. I., on
his way to the Scottish army 1646, stopped at the
Red Lion. H. House, R. Cox, Esq. ; Little H.,
Lady M. Hussey ; H. Place, Miss Fullers ; //.
Grove, Maj. Stuart ; //. Park,or Lit. London, be-
longed to Count de Salis. Is a meet for the
Royal staghounds ; and Uxbridge Union p. house
P. HILLINGTON par. (69) Freebridge-Lynn
hund. NW. Norfolk, 4 m. E. of Castle Rising-100,
on R. Babingley. Acres 2230; pop. 321 + 4;
poor r. 1747. (F.-Lynn U.); real prop. 19617.;
charities 487. St. Mary Rect. (Norw.) val. 426/.,
patr. Sir W. B. Folkes, Bt. of H. Park, which has
a fine sea view; church, with a nonnan door.
<6T HILLINGTOX par. (66) Loddon hund. E. Nor-
folk, 4 m. N W. of Loddon- 1 1 2, near R. Yare. Acres
220; pop. 64+1; poor r. 407. (Lod. U.) ; real
prop 9837. ; charities 71. St. J. Baptist Hect.
(Norw.) val. 1267., patr. W. A. Gilbert, Esq.
HILLMARTON par. (34) Kingsbridge and Selkley
hunds. N. Wilts. 3 m. N NE. of Calne-87, contains
Catcomb, Beversbrook, Gorton, Whitcomb, and
Cleveancy. Acres 3590 ; pop. 806 + 1 ; poor r.
635/. (Calne U.) ; real prop. 70107. ; charities 14/.,
of which 41. for school. St. Lawrence Vic. (Sal.)
val. 399/., patr. Crown.
HILLMORTON par. (53) Knightlow hund. E.
Warwick. 2 m. SE. of Rugby-83, on N. West.
rail, and Oxford canal, near Watling St. Acres
3150 ; pop. 953 + 8 ; poor r. 3467. (Rugby U.) ;
real prop. 68557. ; charities 987., of which 16/. to
school. St. J. Baptist Vic. (Wore.) val. 2027., patr.
R. Stanley, Esq. H. House, T. Townshend, Esq.
Hill's Place (9) close to Horsham, N. Sussex.
Hilhberry ( ) near Carrick-on-Shannon, S W.
Lvitrim, C. M. St. George, Esq.
P. M. HILLSBOROUGH par. (14-5, 21-2) Low.
Iveagh bar. N. Down, 18 m. NW. of Down-
patrick, 89 from Dublin, a sessions and chief police
town, on Lagan canal, formerly called Crumlin,
was found. (Ch. I.) by Sir A. Hill, under charter
of Ch. II. sent 2 members to parl. before the Union,
and is governed by a nominal sovereign, bur-
gesses, etc. Acres 6524, good ; pop. 6524 + 12,
of vil. 1338, decreasing, in the linen trade;
houses 205, on a hill, with 4 chapels, court and
mkt. houses, bridewell, savings bk. (12,6677. from
415 depositors), distillery, brewery, race-stand.
Living, a Rect. (Dn. C. D.) val. 4127., patr. Arch-
deacon ; church, b. 1774, for 20,0007. by Earl
Hillsborough, has a good spire. At H. Castle,
seat of Marq. of Downshire, who takes hence
title of earl, Will. III. slept, and close to it is the
old one of which the marq. is constable, with a
pillar to him 83 ft. high. The S. Down militia have
their head qrs. here. Mkt. D. Wed. Fairs, 19 Feb.
20 May, 19 Aug. 18 Nov. Races, at the Maze.
Hillsborough ( ) near Sheffield, W. R. York.
Hillsbrook (44) 6 m. SE. of Tuam, N. Galway,
J. A. Kirwan, Esq., near H. Hill, 373 ft. high.
HILLSDALE hmlt. (72) Grindon par. NE. Staf-
ford. 9m. NE. of Cheadle-146.
HILLSEA hmlt. (H) Wymering par. SE. Hants.
3m. NE. of Portsmouth-70. Pop. 227, some in
the barracks, and a lunatic asyl.
P. Hillside, near Aberdeen, SE. Aberdeen.
P. Hillside, near Montrose, E. Forfar. gif
HILLSIDE tythg. ( ) with Stapely, Odiham
par. NE. Hants, near Odiham-40. Pop. 411;
real prop. 17717.
HILLSTREET vil. (17) N. Ballintober and Ros-
common bars. N. Roscomn. 5 m. NE. of Elpliin
-101. Pop. 115.
P. HILLSWICK vil. North maven par. NW. Shet-
land Islds. 23 m. N W. of Lerwick, in St. Magnus
bay, was a distinct par. Pop. 211.
P. HILLTOWN vil. (48) Up. Iveagh bar. S.
Down. 3 m. SSE. of Rathfryland, a chief police
station, on R. Bann, near Eagle mountn., belong-
ing to Marq. of Downshire. Pop. 335 + 16 ; houses
66, with Clondaif church, 2 chapels. Mkt. D.
Sat. Fairs, 2nd Tu. every month.
HILLTOWN, or HALLTON, vil. Fearn par. NE.
Ross. 3 m. SE. of Tain-207, on Moray Frith. Pop.
Hilltown House (27) 2 m. E. of Duleek, E.
Meath, N. Boylan, Esq.
HILLWORTH hmlt. (44) Longdon par. S.
Worcest. 2 m. SW. of Upton-on-Severn-111.
HILLYLAND vil. Tibbermore par. SE. Perth.
4 in. W. of Perth- 10. Pop. 202.
N par. (14) Melksham hnnd. W,
Wilts. 1 m. NE. of Trowbridge-99, near R. Avon
and Kennet and Avon canal. Acres 980 ; pop.
973, in the cloth trade ; poor r. 4521. (Melksh. U.) ;
real prop. 27727. St. Michael Rect. (Sal.) val.
2597., patr. W. Long, Esq.
Hilslack Tower, on Rs. Allan and Tweed, N.