Codicote, Graveley, Hexton, Knebworth, Letch-
worth, Xewnham, Norton, Paul's Walden, Rad-
well, Shephall, Stevenage, Weston, Willian, Wv-
mondley (Great and Little) in Herts., and Hoi-
well in Beds. ; acres 61,170, pop. 22,346, cases
relieved (yr. 184G-7) 2664 (out-door 2385), ex-
pend. 10,335;., prop, rated 97,3897. Sup. Registry
comprises the same; pop. 22,346+ 171 : 50 and
' many more ' deaths from cholera in 1849. The
New County Court district corresponds with the
Registry. Mkt. D. Tu. Fairs, Easter and Whit.
HITTISLEIGH par. (26) Wonford hund. Mid,
Devon. 6 m. SW. of Crediton-180, near R. Yew.
Acres 1090; pop. 199 + 3; poor r. 457. (Credit.
U.) ; real prop. 1058/. St. Andrew Rect. (Exet.)
val. 68/., patr. C. B. Calmady, Esq.
HIVE hmlL ( ) Gilberdike tnshp. E. R. York.
b m. EXE. of Howden-180. g" H. House (1)
near Xorthfleet, N. Kent.
Hixox tnshp. (72) Colwich and Stowe pars.
Mill. Stafford. 6m. EXE. of Stafford-141, near
R. Trent] Pop. 625. Living, a Cur. (Lich.) val.
CO/., patr. Bishop.
Hixted P.'ace (9) 3 m. SW. of Cuckfield, Mid.
Sussex, on R. Adur, W. Wood, Esq.
Hlidaford of the Saxons, is Lidford River, Devon.
HOARCROSS hmlt. (72) Yoxhall and Hanbury i
pars. E. Stafford. 4 m. SE. of Abbots Bromley |
-128. Pop. '231; real prop. 2544/. H. Hal/, H. \
Ingram, Esq. whose hounds are kennelled here.
Hoare Park (62) 4 in. SW. of Atherstoue, N.
HOARSTONE hmlt, ( ) Kidderminster Foreign,
N. Worcest. near Kidderminster-126.
HOATH par. (3) Bleangate hund. St. Augustine
lathe, NE. Kent, 5 m. NE. of Canterbury-55,
near the rail. Acres 1660, partly in hop-grounds ;
pop. 394 + 3; poor r. 2337. (Blean.U.) ; real prop.
2271/. Holy Cross Cur. with the Reculver.
P. HOATHLEY, EAST, par. (5) Shiplake hund.
Pevensey rape, Mid. Sussex, 6m. XE. of Lewes
-50. Acres 2000, with hops ; pop. 607 + 10 ; poor
r. 243/. (Uckfield U.) ; real prop. 37097. ; chari-
ties 37. Living, a Rect. (Chic.) val. 2617., patr.
Earl of Abergavenny of Bridge Pk.
P. HOATHLEY, WEST, par. (5) Buttinghill
hund. Lewes rape, N. Sussex, 3 m. SW. of Er.st
Grinstead-28. Acres 4420 ; pop. 1095 ; poor r.
5607. (E. Grinst. U.) ; real prop. 34837. ; charities
117, Living, a Vic. (Chic.) val. 1507., patr. Lord
Chancellor. Fair, Whit. Mon.
HOB LENCH. See LENCH ABBOTS, Worcest.
Hob Tlirush, or St. Cuthberfs Island, a small
rock near Holy Isld. E. Northinbrld.
Hobbares (56) 2 m. S. of Clun, S W. Safop.
HOBBERLOW hmlt. (109) Alnwick par. NE.
Northinbrld. near Alnwick-308. Pop. 78.
Hobbles Green (51) 5m. NNE. of Haverhills,
Hobhole Drain (fi9, 84) 13 m. long, joins the
Catch water near Spilsby to R. Witham's mouth.
P. HOBKIHK par. Jedburgh dist. Mid. Rox-
burgh. 8 m. SW. of Jedburgh, 53 from Edinbro',
on R. Rule, includes Wainbrough and Fanna hills.
Size 12 m. by 3, hilly sheepwalks, partly culti-
vated, with stone, lime, rock pebbles at Roberts'
Linn ; pop. 776 + 10 ; real prop. 63327. ; for poor
1077. Living (presb. Jedb.) val. 2067., patr.
Crown. Stobbs, Sir W. Elliot, Bt., where Lord
Heathfield was born.
Hobland Hall (67) 6 m. NNW. of Lowestoft,
NE. Suffolk, Capt. Penrice.
Hoborough (6) 4 m. SW. of Rochester, NW.
HOBY par. (63) E. Goscote bund. N. Leicest.
5 m. WSW. of Melton-Mowbray-105, on R. Wreak.
Acres 1060 ; pop. 392 + 4 ; poor r. 1497. (M. Mow-
bray U.); real prop. 29477.; charities, 197. for
school and poor. All Saints Rect. (Pet.) val. with
Rotherby 6477., patr. .
HOCCOM tnshp. (61) Worfield par. E. Salop,
3 m. XE. of Bridgnorth-139.
HOCKENHULL-STAPLEFORD tnshp. (80) Tar-
vin par. W. Che hire, 5m. E. of Chester- 183.
Acres 360 ; pop. 35.
Hockeril (47) 1 m. NE. of Bishop's Stortford,
E. Herts, on the rail.
HOCKERINO par. (66) Mitford hund. Mid. Nor-
folk, 5 m. E. of E. Dereham-100, on a branch of
R. Wensum, has traces of a castle. Acres 1980 ;
pop. 457 + 2 ; poor r. 2987. (Mitfd. U.) ; real prop.
33287. ; charities 377. St. Michael Rect. (Xorw.)
val. with Burgh Mattishall 5697., patr. T. T. Ber-
HOCKERLAND. See HAWKERLAND, Devon.
HOCKERTON par. ( ) Thurgaton wap. Mid.
Notts. 1 m. NNE. of Southwell-132, on a branch
of R. Trent. Acres 1510; pop. 136+3; poor r.
347. (Southw.U.); real prop. 16137. St. Nicholas
Rect. (Line.) val. 2447., patr. Col. Whetham.
P. HOCKHAM, or H. MAGNA and PARVA, par.
(66) Shropham hund. S.Norfolk, 4m. XW. of
E. Harling-89. Acres 3860 ; pop. 644 + 8 ; poor
r. 1447. (Wayland U.) ; real prop. 32137. ; chari-
ties 277. Holy Trinity Vic. (Xorw.) val. 2207.,
patr. Rev. J. Spurgin, vicar. //. Hall, H. Par-
tridge, Esq. who holds the manor.
HOCKLETON tnshp. (60) Chirbury par. W.
Salop, 4 m. XE. of Montgomery- 168. Pop. 39.
Hockley (12) near Armagh, lifid. Armaah, Hon.
P. HOCKLEY par. (1) Rochford hund. S. Esxe.r,
4 m. XW. of Rochford-38, near R. Crouch, has a
large barrow. Acres 3460 ; pop. 850 + 8 ; poor r.
5257. (Rochfd. U.) ; real prop. 51967.; charities
137. St. Peter Vic. (Roch ) val. 1637., patr. Wad-
ham Coll. Oxon. ; church, an old half- ruined
norman, with octagon tower, etc. b., it is said, by
Canute, after defeating Ironside at Assington.
Hoc-KLEY-HoLE vil. (7) Hellingdon par. W.
Middlesex, near Uxbridge-15. The old bear gar-
den of this name was near Clerkenwell Green,
fgp H. House (11) near Alresford, Mid. Hunts.
W. Taylor, Esq. gg~ H. House (54) 4 m. X. of
Henley- in-Arden, W. Warwick, on Birmingham
P. HOCKLIFFE, Or HOCKLEY-TN-THE-HOLE, par.
(46) Manshead hund. SW. Beds. 4 m. SSE. of
Woburn-41, near N. West. rail, had a hosp. found,
in K. John's time. Acres 1370 ; pop. 435 ; poor r.
171/.(\Vob.U.) ; real prop. 26917. ; charities, West's
school 307. St. Nicholas Rect. (Ely) val. with
Chalgrave 3937., patr. Rev. J. S. Neumann, rector.
H. Grange, R. Gilpin, Esq., a meet for the Roths-
childs' hounds, whose scent, sportsmen complain,
is spoilt by the beans grown here, as in Camden's
HOCKMOOR limit. (13) Iffley par. Mid. Oxford.
2 in. SE. of Oxford-54. Pop. 298.
HocKwoLD-cuat-WiLTON par. (65) Grimshoe
hund. SW. Norfolk, 4 in. WNW. of Brandon-78,
near R. Brandon, contains Redmore. Acres 7400 ;
pop. 949 + 7; poor r. 4157. (Thetford U.); real
prop. 74197, ; charities 457. St. Peter Rect.
(Norw.) val. with Wilton 5307., patr. Caius Coll.
Camb. ; church, with stone stalls and piscina.
11. Hall, E. Billingsley.
HocKwoRTiiY par." (21) Bampton hund. NE.
Devon. 7 m. NE. of Tiverton-165. Acres 1970,
with good limestone; pop. 396 + 6; poor r. 2117.
(Tivert. U.) ; real prop. 3108/. ; charities 21.
Living, a Vic. (Exet.) val. 2711., patr. J. Hayne,
Hod Hill (15) 4 m. NNW. of Blandford, N.
Dorset, opposite Hambledon Hill, has a double-
ditch'd D- shaped camp of several acres, with 5
Hodbarrow (98) 13 m. SE. of Ravenglass, S.
Cumbrld. at R. Duddcn's mouth.
Hodcott (13) 1 m. NW. of E. Ilsley, Mid.
HUDDAH, or HEADHOLM, par. in Annandale,
S. Dumfries. 4 m. N. of Annan-76, on R. Annan,
where joined by Rs. Milk and Mien, includes
Ecclesfechan, Line, and part of Brydekirk q. s.
Size 5 m. by 2.J, hilly, but well cultivated; pop.
1 627 + 4 ; real prop. 62307. ; for poor 3597. Living
(presb. Annan) val. 2597., patr. Duke of Buccleugh
and Sharpe of H. Castle, which includes the tower,
etc. b. by Lord Herries 1437-84 in place of one at
Hallguards. Birrenswark camp is near the ro-
man Blatum Bulgium.
Hodder River ( ) rises in Bowland Forest,
W. R. York, and winds 20 m. S. to the Ribble
below Milton, near Stonyhurst Col. on the Lan-
Hodflersfidd (99) near Fort Camden, SE. Cork,
on Cork harb. W. H. Hodder, Esq.
P. M. HODDESDON chplrv. (1, 47) Broxbourne
par. SE. Herts. 4 m. SE. of Hertford, 17 from
London, a polling place, on the New River, near
Cambridge rail, and R. Lea, was held by the
Bassingbournes, Savs, Bourchiers, and given by
KHz. to the Cecils. " Acres 2650 ; pop. 1743 + 13,
some in a cotton mill, breweries, malt-houses, etc. ;
houses 339, in a long street, with 2 chapels, old
timber mkt. house on pillars, Rawdon's conduit,
Jones' girls' school (30/.), Rich's almshouses ; poor
r. 6147. on 7560/. (Ware U.); real prop. 70557.;
charities 477. St. Catherine Cur. (Roch.) val.
150/., patr. Bp. of London ; church, reb. about
1785. The Agricult. Training College, for the
education of voung farmers, is established here.
Mkt. D. Tu. "Fair, 29 June.
HODDINGTON tythg. (12) Upton Gray par.
NE. Hants. 3 m. SVV. of Odiham-40. Pop. 133 ;
real prop. 973/. H. House, J. Russell, Esq.
HODGESTON par. (38) Castlemartin hund.
/S. Pembroke. 3 m. SE. of Pembroke-264, near
the coast. Pop. 75; poor r. 227. (Pemb. U.);
real prop. 6867. Living, a Rect. (St. D.) val.
105/., patr. Sir J. Owen, Bt. Abp. Young, a
Hodgets Hill (7) 4 m. NNE. of Uxbridge, NW.
HODGSON-FOLD hmlt. ( ) Bolton tnshp. W. R.
York. 2 m. N. of Bradford-196.
HODNET, UPPER and LOWER, or WILL'S
PASTURES, ext. par. (53) Knightlow hund.
SE. Warwick. 3m. S. of Southam-82. Pop. 11
P. HODNET par. (73) N. Bradford hund. N.
Saloji, 5 m. SW. of Market- Dray ton- 153, near
R. Tern, once a mkt. town, and containing
Weston don. cur. and 8 tnshps., was Odenett of
' Domesdy.' when it gave name to the hund.,
and was held by Roger Montgomery, from
whom it came at length to the Vernons and
others. Acres 13,920 ; pop. 2185 + 9 ; poor r.
4397. (Drayt. U.) ; real prop. 18,0617, ; charities
1267., of which 87. to schools. St. Peter and Paul
Rect. (Lich.) once held by Bps. Heber and Ld. J.
Beauclerk, val. 18847., patr. Mrs. Macauley;
church, has tombs of the Vernons, Hills of Hawk-
stone, and a tablet to Heber. H. Hall, Mrs. M.
Heber, formerly of Rich. Heber, the Atticus ' of
Dibdin's ' Bibliomania,' whose great library
was sold off at his death.
HODSOCK Idshp. (82) Blyth par. NW. Notts.
2 m. W. of Blyth-152, contains Goldthorpe, has
the gateway of the old seat of the Spencers. Pop.
225 ; poor r. 1567. (Worksop U.) ; real prop.
HODSOL-STREET hmlt. (6) Ash par. NW. Kent,
1 m. S. of Gravesend-22.
HODSON tythg. (34) Chisledon par. NE. Wilts.
2 m. SE. of Swindon-80. Pop. 234.
Hodson's Say House (49) 4 m. N. of Athlone,
S. Roscomn. in Lough Ree.
HOE par. (66) Launditch hund. Mid. Norfolk,
2 m. NE. of E. Dereham-100. Acres 1610 ; 'pp.
220; poor r. 1287. (Mitford U.) ; real prop. 1978/. ;
charities 207., with an allotment. Living, a Cur.
with E. Dereham.
HOE-BENHAM tythg. ( ) Welford par. SW.
Berks. 4 m. WNW. of Newbury-56. Pop. 337.
I3S-H., EAST, tythg. (11) Soberton par. SE.
Hants. 4 m. E. of Bishop's Waltham-65. Pop.
91. <&~ H., WEST, tythg. Bishop's Waltham
par. near the above. Pop. 277.
Hoebridge, or Hough Bridge, Place (8) 5 m.
NNE. of Guildford, NW. Surrey, on R. Wey, W.
HOFFE tnshp. ( ) with Row, Appleby St.
Lawrence par. N. Westmrld. 1 m. SSW. of Ap-
pleby-270, contains Barwise. Pop. 108 + 1 ; real
prop. 8587. Hoffland, is near.
HOFFLET-STOW hmlt. (70) Wigtoft par. S.
Lincoln. 1 m. S. of Swineshead-109. Pop. 58.
Hog Hall (63) 3 m. SE. of Hinckley, SW.
Leicest. rgf* H. Isld. (67) on R. Shannon,
Clare, near Kilrush and Scattery Isld.
Street (1) 4 m. NE. of Strood, N. Kent.
Hog's Back (7) is the ridge of the Surrey chalk
hills, which runs past Guildford, Godalming, etc.
commanding some of the best views in that
quarter. e^ H. Hill (62^3 m. NNE. of Tam-
worth, SE. Stafford. ^ H. Isld. (105) 3 m.
W. of Lamb llead, S. Kerry, S. side of Ballin-
HOGGESTON, or HOGSON, par. (46) Cottesloe
hund. N. Bucks. 3 m. SE. of Winslow-49. Acres
1250; pop. 204 + 3; poor r. 9U7. (Winsl. U.);
real prop. 27477. St. Peter and Paul Rect.
(Oxon.) val. 2807., patr. Worces. Coll.
Hoghets Farm (45) 5 m. NW. of Buckingham,
HOGHTON chplry. (89) Leyland par. Mid.
Lancash. 6 m. N X 1C. of Chorley-208, near Black-
burn rail, and canal, has the ruined gateway,
courts, etc. of the old tower of the Hoghtoiis
(seated here from 1154, now of Bold Hall), at
which Jas. I. in 1617 first knighted the joint of
beef as ' Sir-Loin,' and issued the order for the
Book of Sports.' Acres 1670 ; pop. 1706, de-
creasing, power-loom weavers; poor r. 3137,
(Chorl. U.); real prop. 53187. ; charities, Hogh-
ton's school 267. Living, a Cur. (Manch.) val.
1507., patr. Vicar.
HOGNASTON par. (72) Wirksworth bund.
Mid. Derby. 4 m. SW. of Wirksworth -140, on
a branch of R. Dove. Acres 1270, with lime-
stone; pop. 272; poor r. 817. (Ashbourue U.);
real prop. 2730/. ; charities 21. Living, a Cur.
(Lich.) val. dot., patr. Bishop ; church, has nor-
HOGSHAW par. (45) Ashendon hand. Mid.
Sucks. 3 m. SSW. of Winslow-49, containing
Fulbrook, had a preceptory of the Templars found.
(Hen. II.). Acres 1030; pop. 50; poor r. 46/.
(VVinsl. U.) ; real prop. 1962/. No church.
HOGSTHORPE par. (84) Calceworth hund. E.
Lincoln. 9 m. NE. of Spilsby-129, near the coast.
Acres 2870 ; pop. 790 + 10 ; poor r. 4447. (Spils.
U.) ; real prop. 54837. ; charities 91/., with poor's
cottages and allotment St. Mary Vic. (Line.)
val. 957., patr. Bishop.
HOGSTON. See HOGGESTON, Bucks.
Hogsty End (46) 3 m. ENE. of Fenny Strat-
ford, NE. Bucks.
Hoker Lodge (9) at Old Shoreham, S. Sussex,
was seat of Baron Hochepied.
P. M. HOLBEACH par. (69) Elloe wap. Parts of
Holland, E./-,meo/re. 37m. SE. of Lincoln, 105 from
London, near Gt. North, rail., a polling place and
coast-gd. station, had a hosp. found. 1351 by Sir Jno.
de Kirton. Acres 20,240, fenny, with sandstone ;
pop. 4637 + 74 ; houses 870, with bank, union p.
house ; poor r. 347 5/. on 39,3627. ; real prop.48,103/. ;
charities 2547., of which 1717. to Farmer's free
school, where Stukeley the antiquary, a native
(1687-1765), and author of ' Itinerarium Curio-
sum,' was educated. All Saints Vic. (Line.) val.
7027., patr. Bishop ; church, later eng. with an 8-
sided spire, turretted porch, brass of man in armour
(1420), and mons. of the Irbys and Littleburys.
Bp. Holbeach or De Rands (d. 1551) a com-
piler of the Liturgy, and Holbeck a learned
monk, were also natives. There was an old cross
here, and roman urns, coins, foundations of build-
ings, have been found. Holb. P. L. Union, con-
tains the pars. etc. of Fleet, Gedney, Gedney Hill,
Holbeach, Lutton, Sutton (St. Edmund's, St.
James, and St. Mary), Tydd St. Mary, Whap-
lode, Whaplode Drove ; acres 73,829, pop. 16,997,
cases relieved (yr. 1846-7) 2066 (out-door 1800),
expend. 81637., prop, rated 143,91 1/. Sup. Regis-
try comprises the same ; pop. 16,996 + 226. The
New County Court district corresponds with the
Registry. Mkt. D. Th. Fairs, 17 May and
Sept. cattle, etc.
HOLBEACH CLOUGH hmlt. 2 m. NNW. of the
above; H. LIME vil. 3 m. NE.
Holbeche House (62) 3 m. W. by N. of Dudley,
S. Staffd., was a seat of the Littletons, and the
retreat of Catesby, Wright, Percy, and other
powder-plotters, who were taken here.
HOLBECK ext. par. (84) Ashby Puerorum par.
Mid. Lincoln. 3 m. NE. of Horncastle-134. Pop.
9. H. Lodge, J. Fardell, Esq. i^ HOLBECK
tnshp. (82) Cuckney-Norton par. NW. Notts.
4 m. SW. of Worksop-146. Pop. 267 ; poor r.
1207. (Works. U.). H. Woodhouse, % in. SE. ^
HOLBECK chplry. (88) St. Peter Leeds par.
W. R. York. 1 m. SW. of Leeds-189, within that
boro', on Liv. canal and R. Aire. Acres 760 ; pop.
13,346 + 213, in the woollen trade ; poor r. 37247. ;
real prop. 33.491/., of which 12747. on ironworks ;
charities 237. Living, a Cur. (Rip.) val. 1707.,
patr. Vicar; St. Matthew Cur. 130/., J. and H.
Marshall, Esqrs., for whom the early pointed
church, vaulted with stone, was b. 1849, by G.
. HOLBETON par. (24) Ermington hund. 5.
Devon. 3 m. SW. of Modbury-208, on R. Erme,
by the sea, is a meet for Mr. Roe's harriers.
Acres 4800, slate, etc.; pop. 1120 + 2; poor r.
5437. (Plympton St. Mary U.); real prop. 76 197. ;
charities "21. All Saints Vic. (Exet.) val. 300/.,
patr. Crown. Membland, R. Robertson; Fleet,
J. Butleel, Esq.
HOLBORN, ST. ANDREW, par. (7) Holborn div.
of Ossulstoue hund. Finsbury boro', S. Midx. ^ m.
NW. of St. Paul's, including the libs, above and
below the Bars, Ely Rents and Ely Place, Hatton
Garden, Saffron Hill cur., was a vil. in the suburbs
of London, near the Fleet Ditch (which was its
old bourne or bound), when Bp. de Kirby first built
Ely Ho., and contains Gray's Inn (with its elms
Planted by Bacon), Barnard's (once Mackworth's)
nn, Staple's Inn (which was a wool market),
Thavies' Inn (the Thavyes' old seat), Furnival's
Inn, reb. 1818 (the Furnivals' up to Rich. II.),
Free Hosp. (found. ) and Masters in Chan-
cery's office. Acres 160 (with St. George the
Martyr); pop. 36,859; houses 3700, with E-
police station, etc. ; poor r. 7. ; real prop. /. ;
charities 26437., of which 417Z. to par. school,
3877. to Stafford's almsh., and Thavie's for
church, etc. 9057. Living, a Rect. (Lon.) val.
13367., patr. Duke of Buccleugh; church, b.
1686-7 by Wren, at H. Hill, is of brick, 105 ft. by
63, with a tower of 110 ft., and has some arches of
the old one with good fretwork and wainscotting
and stained E. window, Sacheverel was rector,
as were Bps. Hacket and Stillingfleet ; St. Peter
Cur. Saffron Hill, 200/., Rector, cA. b. 1832, in
pointed style, by Barry, for 9523/., is 100 ft. by 64,
and 60 high; Trinity Cur., Gray's Inn Road,
2007., Rector, ch. b. 1837-8 of brick, by Penne-
thorne, for 72007. ; Welsh Chapel, Ely Place, 200/.,
patr. . St. John's, Bedford Row," was held by
Cecil, Bp. Wilson, and B. Noel. Part of H. Hall is
opposite the Bp. of Bangor's house in Shoe Lane.
Of Ely Ho., where John of Gaunt died 1399,
where also Hen. VIII. and Katherine were en-
tertained 1531, and which was held by the see
till 1775, nothing is left but a crypt and'a good E.
window in St. Etheldreda's epis. chapel ; the ' grave
lord-keeper' Hatton died at his seat here, which
stood in the Bp.'s garden ; the Brookes' seat gave
name to Brooke St. (where Chatterton died 1770)
and Greville St. Coke (who married a Hatton),
Bp. Moore, Whiston the Arian, and Savage the
poet, were residents (the latter born in Fox
Court 1697) ; Gerrard, the herbalist, had his gar-
den of saffron, etc. here (Eliz.) ; Thomas Howard,
Earl of Arundel, lived in Castle St. (1619) near
High H. In Southmpton Bldgs. (where the
Templars first settled before Hen. II.) is the
Mechanics' Institute, found. 1823. by Dr. Birk-
beck, with a theatre, laboratory, library, school,
etc. Lord W. Russell went up" H. Hill to exe-
cution in Lincoln's Inn Fields, and Titus Oates
was whipped along it ; P. Whitehead was born
(1710-76) in Castle Yard, Joe Munden (1758-
1832) in Brookcs's mkt., and Bp. Z. Pearce was a
native (1690-1774). Bunyan died 1688, on Snow
Hill, G. Morland 1806, in Coldbath Lane ; W.
Godwin kept shop in Skinner St. ; Ritson, the
antiquary lived in H. Court, Sir K. Digby
near King St., and Milton for a time near the
Fields. At the ' Blue Boar ' Cromwell and Ireton,
disguised as troopers, captured an important letter
of Ch. I.'s, sewed up in a saddle. Holb. P. L.
Union, contains the par. with St. George-the-
Martyr, St. Sepulchre, Saffron Hill, Hatton-
Garden, Ely Rents, Ely Place; acres 160, pop.
44,521, cases relieved (yr. 1846-7) 5595 (out-
door 3158), expend. 13,0047., prop, rated 144,6687.
Sup. Registry comprises the same, with Charter
House and Lincoln's Inn ; pop. 44,461 + 177 ;
births 1209 (643 being females, 42 illegit.),
deaths 1018, marriages 16G, of which 45 per-
sons signed with marks : 54 deaths from cholera
in 1849. It is divided between Clerkenwell and
the City New County Court districts.
Holborough Green (54) 8 in. SE. of Bromsgrove,
HOLBROOK chplry. (71) Duffield par. SE.
Derby. 2 m. SSE. of Belper-134, near Derby rail.
Pop. 880 + 18, stockingers ; poor r. 169/. (Belp.
U.) ; real prop. 20567. Living, a Cur. (Lich.) val.
56/., patr. W. Evans, Esq. M. P. H. Hall, F.
Bradshaw, Esq. igg- HOLBROOK hmlt. (35)
Abson par. <S W. Gloucester. 4 m. W. of Marsh-
P. HOLBROOK par. (48) Samford hund. S. Suf-
folk, 5 m. S. of Ipswich-69, near H. Bay, on R.
Stour. Acres 1720; pop. 747; poor r. 3147.
(Samfd. Incorp.) ; real prop. 3806Z. ; charities 21.
All Saints Rect. (Norw.) val. 424/., patr. Rev. J.
B. Wilkinson, rector; church, has a brass (1470)
and mons. of the Clenches, who held the manor.
H. Hall, .
Holbrook Hall (48) 3 m. NE. of Sudbury, SW.
Suffolk. ^ H. House (18) 1 m. W. of Win-
cauuton, SE. Somerset. R. Page, Esq. gif H.
Lodge (9) near Horsham, N. Sussex, Sir St. V.
Whitshed, Bt, is a meet for the Horsham and
Holbrook Grange ( ) 2 m. NW. of Rugby, E.
Warwk. J. Caldecott, Esq. on R. Avon.
HOLBURN q. s. par. in Old Machar par. SE.
Aberd. near Aberdeen- 110, is a living (presb.
Aberd.) val. 7., patr. Congregation. Pop. 7570.
&T Holburn ( ) 4 m. WNW. of Belford, N.
Xurthmbrld. belongs to the Tuffuells of Essex.
Holbum Head, W. side of Thurso Bay, N.
HOLBURT hmlt. (11) Fawley par. S.Hants. 4 m.
S. of Southampton-74. Real prop. 11257.
HOLCOMB, GREAT, tythg. (13) Newington par.
S. Oxford. 4 m. N. of WaIlingford-46. Pop. 103 ;
real prop. 1322/.
HOLCOMBE hmlt. (34) Hampton tnshp. Mid.
Gloucest. near Minchinhampton-98. gap" HOL-
OOMBE par. (19) Kilmersdon hund. NE. Somerset.
5 m. NE. of Shepton Mallet-116. Acres 600, with
coal, etc. ; pop. 468 ; poor. r. 5017. (S. Mallet U.) ;
real prop. 1748/. St. Andrew Rect. (Ba. and W.)
val. 917., patr. J. T. Jolliffe, Esq.
HOLCOMBE-BURNELL par. (22) Wonford hund.
Mid. Devon. 4 m. W. of Exeter-164. Acres 1890 ;
pop. 306 + 4 ; poor r. 737. (St. Thomas U.) ; real
prop. 1545/. St. J. Baptist Vic. (Exet.) val. 1957.,
patr. Preb. of Wells ; church, has a nonnan door.
H. House, now a farm, was built (Hen. VI J I.).
<T H.-Roous par. (21) Bamptou hund. NE.
Devon. 6 in. ENE. of Bampton-161, near Western
canal and Gt. West. rail. Acres 2750 ; pop. 843 ;
poor r. 4797. (Wellington U.) ; real prop. 50457.
Living, a Vic. (Exet.) val. 195/., patr. K. Wills,
Esq. ; church, has mons. of the fam. of P. Bluett,
Esq. of//. Court, a very old seat, eg?" H.- WATER
hmlt. (20) Nettlecombe par. W. Somerset. 6 m. S.
Holcome (89) 4 m. S. of Haslingdcn, SE. IMH-
cash. has a column to Peel on //. Moor. Living,
a Cur. (Manch.) val. 175/., patr. Vicar of Bury.
HOLCOT par. (52) Hamfordshoe hund. Mid.
Northmptn. 6 m. NNE. of Northampton-66, on a
branch of R. Nen. Acres 1670; pop. 456 + 2;
poor r. 3537. ( Brix worth U.); real prop. 27781. ;
charities 277. St. Marv and All Saints Rect. (Pet.)
val. 289/., patr. Rev. R. Montgomery, rector.
HoLcurr, or HULCOTK, par. (46) Maiishead
hund. W. Beds. 4 m. N. of Woburn-41, on Craw-
! ley Brook. Acres 1000 ; pop. 62 + 1 ; poor r. 124/.
j (Wob. U.); real prop. 14827. ; charities, a share
| with SALKORD. St. Nicholas Rect. (Ely) val.
with Salford 2457., patr. Rev. E. O. Smith, of H.
Holden's Bed Sand, 5 m. SE. of Wexford harb.
SE. Wexfd., is 3 m. by 2, with 1 to 2 fath. water.
HOLDENBY, or HOLMBY par. (53) Nobottle
Grove hund. Mid. Northmptn. 6 m. NW\ of North-
ampton-66, has some remains of H. House, built
by the 'grave lord-keeper' Hatton (a native,
1540-91) in the florid elizabethan style, after
designs of Thorpe, which became the place of
Charles's confinement 1647, and was given by
Ch. II. with the title of baron to the french Mar-
quis of Blancfort. Acres 1790 ; pop. 187 ; poor r.
817. (Brixworth U.) ; real prop. 32027. All Saints
Rect. (Pet.) val. 5657., patr. Crown.
HOLDENCLOUGH hmlt. (88) Gomersall tnshp.
W. R. York. 4 m. NE. of Dewsbury-187.
HOLDENHURST par. (15) Westover lib. SW,
Hants. 2 m. NW. of Christchurch-100, on R.
Stour, contains Muecleshell, Muscliffe, and Tliroop.
Acres 7320 ; pop. 905 + 27 ; poor r. 3397. (Christc.
U.) ; real prop. 13557. Living, a Cur. with Christ-
HOLDERNESS (MlDDLE) WAPENTAKE ( ) E.
R. York, contains the pars, of Burton Pidsea vie.,
Drypool cur., Garton, Heydon rect., Hilston r.,
Humbleton ., Marfleet c., Preston ., Rooss r.,
Sproatley r., Sutton c., Tunstall c., Waghen .,
and parts of Albrough, Owthorne, and Swine v. ;
acres 54,300, pop. 17,350, houses 3570. H.
(NORTH) WAPENTAKE, as above, contains the
pars, of Atwick r., Barmston r., Beeford r., Brands-
burton r., Catwick r., N. Frodingham ., Gox-
hill r., Hornsea ., Leven r., Mappleton c., Mun-
keeling c., Rise r., Long Riston r., Routh r.,
Sigglesthorne r., Skipsea t>., Withernwick c., and
parts of Aldbrough ., Beverley St. John, and
Swine ; acres 56,870, pop. 9086, nouses 1788. H.
(SOUTH) WAPENTAKE, contains Burstwick <.,