Thames, opposite Herne Bay, N. Kent, lies across
the Flats to Margate, past the H. Sand. &jr
H. Hill (8) 4 m. S. of Reigate, SE. Surrey.
13F H.-ix-HiLL, ext. par. (45) N. Leigh par.
W. Oxford. 4 m. SW. of Woodstock-62. Pop. 4.
O" H, Island, | m. WNW. of Ardrossan, W.
Ayr. with a beacon on and several rocks about it.
^ H. Isld., in Frith of Clyde, W. Ayr. off
Ardrossan, is 1 m. long. i^" H. Isld. (151)
at the mouth of Castlehaven harbour, S. Cork.
l^ 1 H. Isld. (149) in Roaring Water bay, S.
Cork, has Ld. Audley's copper mine. gg H
Isld. (97) in Ballinsbelligs bay, S. Kerry. gg~
H. Isld. 3 in. E. of Pomona, SE. Orkney Islds. near
Gopinshay. gif H. Sand, at Spithead, S. Hants.
extends 2 m. out from Southsea Cast, at a depth of
1 to 2 fath. towards the Dean Sand, and to the E. of
the fair way to Portsmouth harb. which is buoyed.
P. HORSEBRIDGE (5) 1 m. NW. of Hailsham
59, SE. Sussex, on R. Cuckmere.
HORSECROFT hmlt. (51) Horningsheath and
Newton par. W. Suffolk, 2 m. SW. of Bury St.
Edmunds-71. Pop. 34. H. Hall, .
P. Horseferrybridge, near Gloucester, W. Glouc.
HORSEFORD par. (66) Taverham hund. E.
Norfolk, 4 m. NNW. of ]Sorwich-108, on a branch
of R. Bure, has the moat, etc. of an old castle of
the Fitzwalters de Cadomo. Acres 4040 ; pop.
593 + 5; poor r. 8067. (St. Faith U.) ; real prop.
35617. All Saints Vic. (Norw.) val. 183/., patr.
A. Stephens, Esq.
Horsegate ( ) 7 m. WSW. of Gateshead, N.
Horschay ( ) near Coalbrookdale (?),E. Salop,
the birthplace (1795) of W. Ball, a fat man, 5 ft,
9 in. high, 6 ft. 3 in. round, and weighs (1850)
upwards of 40 stone of 14 Ib.
HORSEHEATH par. (47, 51) Chilford hnnd. SE.
Cambridge. 3 m. E. of Linton-48, was the seat of
the Allingtons, and Bromleys lords Horseheath.
Acres 1677, part common ; pop. 523 + 9 ; poor r.
3087. (Linton U.) ; real prop. 28457. ; charities 167.
All Saints Sect. (Ely) val. 4007., patr. Charter
House, London ; church, has brass of Sir Jno. de
Argenteine (1360 ?). H. Lodge, S. Batson, Esq.
HORSEHOUSE chplrv. ( ) Carlton Highdale
tnshp. N. R. York. 5 m. SW. of Middleham.
-232. Living, a Cur. (Rip.) val. 407., patr. Tom-
HORSELEAP. See ARDXURCHER, King's Co.
Horsd&ip Lough ( ) near Castleblakeney, N.
HORSELET tnshp. (73) Eccleshall par. W.
Stafford. 1 m. SW. of Eccleshall-148, contains
Garmelow, Cotmore, and Offley Hey. Acres 2520;
pop. 491 ; real prop. 24937. igf HORSELEY limit.
(53) Wolverley par. N. Worcest. 3 m. NW. of
HORSELEY HEATH hmlt. (62) Tipton par. S.
Stafford, near Dudley-119.
P. HoRSELL,orHoRSHiLL,par. (8) First Godley
hund. NW. Surrey, 6m. SW. of Chertsey-21, on
Basingstoke canal, near Southampt. rail. Acres
2890; pop. 766 + 9; poor r. 4437. (Cherts. U.)j
real prop. 42627. St. Mary Cur. (Win.) val. 837.,
patr. Three Landowners ; church, ancient.
HORSEMONDEX HUNDRED. See BREXCHLEY
and HORSEMOXDEX, Kent.
P. HORSEMOXDEN par. (6) Brenchley hund.
Aylesford lathe, $. Kent, 8 m. SE. of Tonbridge
-30, near R. Rother, containing Ram's Hill, Capie
Cross, and Sherenden, was a seat of the Bath-
hursts. Acres 4300, with good timber, hop-
grounds, iron-ore, etc. ; pop. 1218 + 2 ; poor r.
8057.(Tonbr.U.) ; real prop. 66217. ; charities 184/.,
of which 53/. to Sir C. Booth's school. St. Mar-
garet Rect. (Cant.) val. 5967., patr. Rev. \V. M.
S. Marriott, rector ; church, has brasses of a priest
(canopied, 1330), and another. Fair, 26 July.
P. Horsemore Green (7) 2* m. NW. of Coin-
brook, SE. Bucks, on Gt. West. rail.
HORSEXDOX par. (7) Aylesbury hund. Mid.
Bucks. 2 m. W. of Princes Risboro'-36, on Icknield
way. Acres 780 ; pop. 27 ; poor r. II. ( Wycombe
U.I; real prop. 8797, St. Michael Rect. (Oxon.)
val. 132/., patr. Duke of Rutl. H. Hall, J. Grubb,
formerly seat of the Denhams, who garrisoned it
HORSEPASSBRIDGE vil. (9) Lower Talbotstown
bar. N. Wicklow, 4 in. S\V. of Blessington-18.
HORSEPATH par. (13) Bullingdon hund. Mid.
Oxford. 4 m. ESE. of Oxford-54, under Shotover
Hill, contains Littleworth. Acres 1310 ; pop.
306 + 3 ; poor r. 178/. (Headington U.) ; real prop.
1257/. ; charities U. St. Giles Cur. (Oxon.) val.
91/., patr. Magd. Coll.
Horseshoe Harb. in Kerrara Isld. NW. Argyll.
opposite Oban. igp H. Rock ( ) 2 m. S. of
Wicklow head, E. Wicklow.
HORSEY hmlt. (20) Bridgwater par. 3Iid. So-
merset. 2 m. NE. of Bridgwater-139, on R. Parret
and Exeter rail. Real prop. 2508/.
Horsey Island (48) 5 m. SSW. of Harwich,
NE. Essex, near the Naze.
HORSEY-NEXT-THE-SEA par. (67) Happing
hund. NE. Norfolk, llm. NNW. of Yarmouth
-124, near R. North. Acres 2490, marshy; pop.
162 + 5 ; poor r. 157. (Tunstead Incorp.) ; real prop.
13997. ; charities, a fuel allotment. All Saints
Vic. (Norw.) val. 1357., patr. Govs. of N. Wai-
sham school ; church, in ruins.
P. HORSFORTH chplry. ( ) Guiseley par. W. R.
York, o m. NW. of Leed"s-189, a petty sess. town,
near Liverpool canal and the bridge over R. Aire.
Acres 2820 ; pop. 4188 + 7C, in the cloth trade ;
Crr. 7437. (Carlton Incorp.); real prop. 10,3497.
ing, a Cur. (Rip.) val. 1587., patr. J.S. Stanhope,
Esq., of Cannon Hall. H. Hall, Rev. J. A. Rhodes.
* P. M. HORSIIAM par. (9) Singlecross hund.
Bramber rape, N. Sussex, 23 m. NE. of Chi-
chester. 37 from London, by Bright branch
rail., on R. Arun, in St. Leonard's Forest, a
(Midsum.) sessions, (Lent) assize, and ('/".
Sussex) polling town, belonging to Duke of
Norfolk so called, it is said, after Horsa the
saxon chief, but most likely from ' Hurst-ham '
(woodtowu) ; returns one member by the Reform
bill (2 before, from Edw. I.), the new bounds
being those of the par., no. of electors 351
(of 107. houses 1005) ; and is a boro' by pre-
scription, nominally governed bv a steward, 2
bailiffs, etc. Acres 880 (or 8690_), with good
stone, of old boro' 200 ; pop. 5765 + 66 ; houses
1039, with 6 chapels, townhall, assizes, etc., co.
gaol, mkt.. house, 2 banks, savings bk. (20,6467.
from 761 depositors), mechanics' institute, tan-
neries, Collier's free school (544?.) under the
Mercers' Comp., and Union poor house ; assessed
taxes 12097.; poor r. 24447. on 23,6167.; real
prop. 24,976/. ; charities 5447. St. Mary Vic.
(Chic.) val. 651/., pair. Archbp., church, early
eng., has an old font, brass of a priest (1430), and
effigies of the De Braoses (?) and Mrs. Delves;
St. Mark Cur. 100/., Vicar. H. Park, R. Hurst,
Esq. ; Denn Pk., C. Eversfield, Esq. ; Coolhurst,
Col. Chichester; Springfield, . The H. and
Crawley hounds are kennelled here; and the
branch rail, of 8f in. from Three Bridges on the
main line was opened 1848. Horsh. P. L. Union,
contains the pars. etc. of Lower Beeding, Horsham,
Ifield, Jtchinfield, Nuthurst, Rusper, Shipley,
Slinfold, Warnham, West Grinstead ; acres 48,522,
pop. 13,410, cases relieved (yr. 1846-7) 2322 (out-
door 1988), expend. 71527., prop, rated 57,1607.
Sup. Registry comprises the same; pop. 13,400
+ 1 13. The NewCoun/y Court district corresponds
with the Registry. Mkt. Ds. Mond. Sat. Fairs,
5 Apr. 18 July, and Sat. after, sheep ; Mond. be-
fore Whitsuntide, 17 and 27 Nov., horses, cattle.
HORSHAM, ST. FAITH, par. (66) Taverham
Imnd. E. Norfolk, 4 m. N. of Norwich- 108, on a
branch of R. Bure, once a mkt. town under Hugh
de Cressi, had a benedictine priory cell to Conches
abbey, France, found. 1105, by Rob. Fitzwalter,
and a hosp. belonging to K. Templars before
1163. Acres 1750; pop. 973, some weavers; poor
r. 1142/. (St. Faith U.) ; real prop. 26557. Living,
a Cur. (Norw.) val. GO/., patr. A. Stephens, Esq. ;
church, had an old cross near it. H., St. Faith,
P. L. Union, contains the pars. etc. of Alderford,
Attlebridge, Beeston, Booton,Brandistone, Catton,
Crostwick, Drayton, St. Faith's, Felthope, Fret-
tenham, Hainford, Haveringland,Hellesdon, Hon-
ingham, Horsford, Horstead, St. Mary-in-the-
Marsh, Morton, Rackheath, Ringland, Salhouse,
Spixworth, Sprowston, Swanington, Taverham,
Weston, Witchingham (Great and Little), Wrox-
ham ; acres 47,851, pop. 11,556, cases relieved
1964 (out-door 1501), expend. 33877., prop, rated
55,9947. Sup. Registry comprises the same ; pop.
11,545 + 42. It belongs to Norwich New County
Court district. Fair, 17 Oct. cattle.
HORSINGTON par. (83) S. Gartree wap. Mid.
Lincoln. 3 m. W. of Horncastle-134. Acres 1700 ;
pop. 345 + 2 ; poor r. 1807. (Horncast. U.) ; real
prop. 22297. All Saints Rect. (Line.) val. 2227.,
patr. Magd. Coll. Oxon. jgT HORSINGTON par.
(18) Horethorne hund. SE. Somerset. 3 m. S. of
Wincanton-109, contains S. Cherilon and Wil-
kenthrop. Acres 3710; pop. 915; poor r. C30/.
(Wincant. U.) ; real prop. 44717.; charities 18/.
St. J. Baptist Rect. (Ba. and W.) val. 729/., patr.
J. A. Wickham, Esq. H. House, S. Bailward, Esq.
HORSLEY par. (71) Morleston hund. SE. Derby.
2 m. SW. of Belper-134, near R. Derwent, con-
tains H.WOODHOUSE tnshp. (pop. 881) Kilbourn,
and the remains of Horston Cast., b. by Ka'ph de
Burun. Acres 2920 ; pop. 2278 + 23, of town
671, stocking knitters ; poor r. 307/. (Belp. U.);
real prop. 38277. ; charities 13/. St. Clement
Vic. (Lich.) val. 210/., patr. E. D. Sitwell, Esq.
^ HORSLEY par. (34-5) Longtree hund. Mid..
G/oucest. 4 m. S. of Stroud-101, near Gt. West,
rail., containing ChavenageCWr., Nailsworth, and
7 limits., a petty sess. and once a mkt. town, with
the old gate of a priory cell to St. Martin du Tours,
which came to Bruton abbey, and through the
Dennys to the Slephenses of Chavenage. Acres
4480, fertile, with beech ; pop. 3064, decreasing,
some in the cloth mills ; houses 710, with 2 chapels,
house of correction, and Webb's school ; poor r.
1845/. (StroudU.) ; real prop. 8971 1. ; charities 84/.,
of which 687. to free school. St. Martin Vic. (Gl.
and Br.) val. with Chavenage 1507., patr. Bishop,
gip HORSLEY tnshp. ( ) Ovingham par. S.
Northmbrld. 10 m. E. of Hexham-279, near R.
Tyne. Pop. 286 ; poor r. 77Z. (Hexh. U.).
P. HOIJSLEY, EAST, par. (8) Second W
hund. Mid. Surrey, 6 m. ENE. of Guildford-29~.
Acres 1740, part common; pop. 300+1; poor r.
126/. (Guildf. U.); real prop. 1758Z. ; charities 5/.
St. Martin Rect. (Cant.) val. 2577., patr. Archbp.
H. Place, W. Currie, Esq. ; church, has brasses
of Rob. de Brentyngham (1380), Bp. Booth
(1478), and another, igp H., WEST, par. as above,
i m. W., has an old seat of Raleigh's. Acres
3000, part common ; pop. 671 ; poor r. 3727. ;
real prop. 33C1/. ; charities 1517., of which Ful-
lerton's for school, etc. 1207. St. Mary Rect. (Win.)
val. 317/., patr. Col. Weston ; church, has some old
stalls, and, among other tombs, that of Carew
Raleigh, who after his father's execution, brought
his head here (the body being laid in St. Mar-
garet's Westminster), which was buried with him.
P. HORSLEY, LONG, par. ( ) W. Morpeth
ward, E. Northmbrld. 6 m. NNW. of Morpeth-289,
on a branch of R. Coquet, containing Longshaw,
Stanton, and 6 other tnshps.,with an old tower of
the Riddells', was given by Gospatrick to the
Merlays. Acres 1 3,240, with lime, coal ; pop.
922 ; poor r. 1. (Morp. U.) ; real prop. 68007. ;
charities 31. St. Helen Vic. (Dur.) val. 336/.,
patr. Ld. Chancellor. Lindon, C. Bigge, Esq.
HORSLEY -WooDnousE. See HORSLEY, Derby.
HORSLEYDOAVN, ST. JOHN. See SOUTHWARK,
HORSTEAD par. (66) with Stanninghall, Taver-
ham hund. NE. Norfolk, 7 m. NNE. of Norwich
-108, on R. Bure, had a priory cell to Caen nun-
nery, given to King's Coll. Camb. Acres 2490 ;
pop. 625+3; poor r. 5207. (St. Faith U.); real
prop. 36667.; charities 117. All Saints Rect.
(Norw.) val. 3947., patr. King's Coll. Camb. ;
church, has an old font. H. Hall, T. Batchelor,
Esq. From ' Hursted,' i. e. wood place.
Horsted (6) 2 m. S. of Rochester, .ZV. Kent,
where Horsa the Saxon was buried, on a spot
marked by a pollard oak.
Horsted Hall ( ) near , Essex, belongs to
Gent of Moyns.
P. HORSTED-KEYNES par. (5) Danehill Hor-
gted hund. Pevensey rape, N. Sussex, 5 m. NE.
of Cuckfield-38. Acres 6218, with hops; pop.
812 + 3; poor r. 4987. (Cuckf. U.); real prop.
30897. ; charities, 37. to Lightmaker's free school. St.
Giles Rect. (Chic.) val. 3427., patr. T. Austen, Esq.
P. HORSTED, LITTLE, par.(5) Rushmonden hund.
Pevensey rape, Mid. Sussex, 5 m. NE of Lewes
-50, near R. Ouse. Acres 2240, partly in hop-
grounds, with iron and other sands, lignite, etc. ;
pop. 278; poor r. 4987. (Uckfield U.); real prop.
20357. Living, a Rect. (Chic.) val. 3567., patr.
Rev. J. Simpson, rector. H. Place, E. Law, Esq.
Horston Castle. See HORSLEY-, Derby, above.
Horswell House (24) Kingsbridge, S. Devon.
W. R. Ilbert, Esq.
Hortland (4) 5 m. SW. of Kilcock, N. Kildare,
Sir J. W. Hort, Bt. See BALLYSCULLOGE.
HORTON par. (7) Stoke hand. SE. Bucks. 3 m.
E. of Windsor-22, on R. Coin, near Gt. West. rail,
contains Colnbrook, where Milton (whose house
and apple-tree remain) in his early days wrote his
' Comus ' and ' Arcades,' for Lady Derby and her
family (whose seat was at Harefield), besides
'L' Allegro,' and other pieces. Acres 1610; pop.
873, some paper makers ; poor r. 511/. (Eton U.) ;
real prop. 51777. ; charities 1067., of which 377. to
town houses for poor. St. Michael Reel. (Oxon.)
val. 385/1, patr. T. P. Williams, Esq., M. P., of
Temple House ; church, has a norman door, and
was the burial place of Milton's mother. i^
HORTON hmlt. (46) Eddlesborough, Ivinghoe,
and Slapton pars. E. Buck*. 2 m. NW. of Iving-
hoe-33, on N. West. rail, near Gd. Junct. canal.
Pop. 179. gST HORTON tnshp. (80) with Peele.
Tarvin par. NW. Cheshire, 6 m. EXE. of Chester
-183. Acres 240 ; pop. 45. igiT HORTON par.
(15) Budbury hund. NE. Dorset. 4 m. NXE. of
Wimborne-100, had a benedictine priory cell to
Sherborne abbey found. 970 by Earl Orgar, and
has also the traces of a chapel, with a circular
trench, and several barrows, etc. round it. Acres
7000 ; pop. 448 + 2 ; poor r. 214/. (Wknb. U.) ;
real prop. 19717. St. Wolfrida Beet. (Sal.) val.
1007., patr. Earl of Shaftesbury ; church, rebuilt
1720. Woodlands was the seat of Mr. Hastings,
an eccentric and bountiful gentleman ' of the
olden time,' as the song says, of whom there is
a portrait and account at St. Giles's, Cranborne.
At Shag's Heath, the Duke of Monmouth was
seized, tgi" HORTON par. (35) Upper Grum-
bald's Ash hund. SW. Gloucest. 3 m. NE. of
Chipping Sodbury-108, on the Cots wolds, which
command fine prospects. Acres 3560 ; pop. 466 ;
poor r. 1377. (C. Sodb. U.) ; real prop. 45977. ;
charities 3/. St. James Beet. (Gl. and Br.) val.
6577., patr. Rev. R. Brook. iJiT Horton (55)
3 m. NW. of Bromyard, NE. Hereford. ig"
HORTON chplry. (3) Chartham par. NE. Kent,
2 m. SW. of Canterbury-55, near the rail., on
R. Stour. Acres 399. H. Park, a meet for the E.
Kent hounds, igf HORTON par. (52) Wymersly
hund. Mid. Northmptn. 5 m. SE. of Northampton
-66, on a branch of R. Nen, was the seat of the
Salusburys, Parrs, Lanes, Montagues, etc. Acres
2790 ; pop. 65, decreasing ; poor r. 1127. (Harding-
stone U.) ; real prop. 17637. St. Mary Cur. (Pet.)
val. with Piddington 987., patr. Sir*R. Gunning,
Bt. of H. House, where Montague, 1st Earl of
Halifax (1661-1715), the friend of Addison, Pope,
etc. was born ; church, has brasses of the Salus-
burys (1491) and effigies of Lord Parr, uncle to
Q. Catherine Parr. lgp HORTON par. chplry.
( ) E. Castle ward, SE. Northmbrld. 2 m. SW.
of Blyth-288, on B. Biver, containing Bepside,
Cowpen, and Hartford, had an old castle of the
Delavels, pulled down 1809. Acres 5360, with
coal; pop. 2838 + 20, of town 218 + 4; poor r.
337. (Tynemo' U.) ; real prop. 86097. Living, a
Cur. (Dur.) val. 1507., patr. Vicar of Woodhorn.
IgiP HORTON tnshp. (45) with Studley, Beckley
par. Mid. Oxford. 6 m. NE. of Oxford-54. Acres
1800 ; pop. 330 ; poor r. 178/. (Headington U.) ;
real prop. 19737. flip HORTON tnshp. (61) St
Chad par. Mid. Salop, 3 m. W. of Shrewsbury
-153, is joined to WOODCOTE. ifif HORTON
tnshp. (61) Wellington par. E. Salop, 3 m. NE.
of Wellington-142, near Shrewsbury canal. Pop.
117. <$& HORTON tnshp. (73) Wem par. N.
Salop, 1 m. WNW. of Wem-163. Pop. 86. ^
HORTON tythg. (21) llminster par. 5. Somerset.
1 m. WNW. of Ilminster-136. Real prop. 18137.
^T HORTON (81) S. Totmonslow hund. N. Staf-
ford. 3 m. WNW. of Leek-154, contains H. HAY
tnshp. (pop. 216), and Blackwood, near Caldon
canal reservoir (1| m. long). Acres 4570, good
dairy land; pop. 942, ot" town 200; poor r.
3047. (Leek U.) ; real prop. 28467. ; charities 18/.
St. Michael Cur. (Lich.) val. 105/., patr. G.
C. Antrobus, Esq. H. Hall, . igg" HORTON
hmlt. (8) Epsom par. N. Surrey, 1 m. NW. of
Epsom-15. H. Place, J. Trotter, Esq., formerly
Lord Baltimore ; H. Lodge, J. Franks, Esq.
lgP HORTON tythg. (14) Bishop's Cannings
par. Mid. Wilts. 3 m. NE. of Devizes-89, on
Kennet and Avon canal. Pop. 387. igST HOR-
TON chplry. (88) Bradford par. W. B. York, near
Bradford-196, contains GREAT and LIT. H. limits.,
Lidget Green, and Scholes Moor. Acres 2070 ;
pop. 17,615 + 683, in the manufact. of woollens
(1805 hands), worsteds (1554), 'stuffs' (394),
cotton (216), besides ' factory workers,' and
' weavers,' etc. (1473, 350 being power-loom),
coal workers (210), etc.; poor r. 32557. (Bradf.
U.) ; real prop. 37,4827. ; charities 53/. Living,
a Cur. (Rip.) val. 150/., patr. Vicar; church,
built (Hen. L). H. Hal/, J. Wood, Esq. ( ?) A.
Sharp, the mathematician, lived here, tjaj" HOR-
TON, or H. LITTLE, tnshp. ( ) Gisburn par. W. R.
York. 8 m. WSW. of Skipton-216, near R. Ribble.
Acres 1780 ; pop. 156 ; poor r. 792. (Clitheroe U.) ;
real prop. 2468/. Little H. House, F. Bridges,
HORTON-BY-MALPAS tnshp. (73) Tilston par.
SW. Cheshire, 2 m. NW. of Malpas-168. Acres
450 ; pop. 142 ; real prop. 13307. &JT H. Castle,
(39) 13 m. WSW. of Swansea, SW. Glamorgan.
near Port Eynon bay. ^ H. Castle ( ) 3 m.
NE. of Wooler, N. Northmbrld. belongs to Earl
Grey, through the Vescies and Tubervilles. Igf
H.-GRANGE tnshp. ( ) Dinnington par. SE.
Northmbrld. 6 m. S. of Morpeth-289. Pop. 64.
Igr H.-HAY. See HORTON, Stafford, above,
tgp" H.-iN-RiBBLESDALE par. ( )' W. Staincliff
wap. W. B. York. 4 m. N. of Settle-235, on R.
Ribble, near Penygant and Ingleborough hills,
contains Birkwith, Studfield, and Thornes. Acres
18,970, moorland; pop. 520; poor r. 2427. (Settle
U.); real prop. 6888/. ; charities 1917., of which
1607. to Armitshead's free gram, school. Living,
a Cur. (Rip.) val. 1087., patr. Rev. G. Holden.
P. HoRTON-KiRBY par. (6) Axton hund.
Sutton-at-Hone lathe, N W.Kent, 3m. SSE. of
Dartford-15, on R. Darent, containing Dean Bot-
tom, S. Darenth, and Pinden ; has the ruins of
the castle found, by the Rosses at the Conquest,
and restored by the Kirkbys who built K. Court.
Acres 1800, partly in hop-grounds ; pop. 714 + 5 ;
poor r. 2297. (Dartford U.) ; real prop. 37677. ;
charities 177., besides a share with Farningham.
St Mary Vic. (Cant.) val. 2147., patr. Rev. G.
Rashleigh, vicar; church, has mons. of the Ba-
thursts of Franks (now G. Ray, Esq.), an old
seat, near which is Reynold's Place, now a farm.
(7 H., LITTLE. See HORTON, W. B. York.,
above. gir H. MONKS par. (3) Stouting hund.
Shepway lathe, E. Kent, 4 m. NNW. of Hythe
-65, near Dover rail., commands a fine view from
Hampton hill, and has the (norman) arched door,
etc. of a cluniac priory, found. (Hen. II.) as a cell
to Lewes, and held by the Mantells, now
turned into a farm. Acres 1220; pop. 171+2;
poor r. 837. (Elham U.); real prop. 14647.; cha-
rities 77. St. Peter Beet, with Brabourne ; church,
has tombs of the Robinsons of Mount-Morris,
seat of Lord Rokeby, where Mrs. Montague spent
her youth, and which includes Rookcs, where
the family of the excellent and patriotic admiral
P. HORWICH chplry. (89) Deane par. S. Lan-
cash. 6 m. WNW. of Bolton-197, near Preston
rail. Acres 3230; pop. 3773 + 21, cotton printers
and bleachers; poor r.426/. (Bolt. U.) ; real prop.
15.918Z. ; charities 13Z. Living, a Cur. (Manch.)
val. 220Z., patr. Vicar. Races, on an oval
course of about 1 m., two-year-old, co. J m.
HOKWOOD par. (26) Fremington hund. NW.
Devon. 5 m. SW. of Barnstaple-192. Acres 1280 ;
pop. 118; poor r. 451. (Barnst. U.); real prop.
89 1/. St. Michael Rect. (Exet.) val. 157/., patr.
Rev. J. Dene, rector. g3T Horwood (18) 2 m.
SSE. of Wincanton, SE. Somerset, on R. Cale.
HOUWOOD, GREAT, par. (46) Cottesloe hund.
N. Bucks. 2 m. N. of Winslow-49, contains
Singleborough, and was a mkt. town. Acres
3120; pop. 712; poor r. 385/. (Winsl. U.) ; real
prop. 3378Z. ; charities 101. St. James Rcct.
(Oxon.) val. 302/., patr. New Coll. i^" H.,
LITTLE, par. as above, 2 m. E., is a meet for the
Rothschilds' hounds. Acres 1950 ; pop. 392 ;
poor r. 473/. ; real prop. 1900Z. St. Nicholas Vic.
(Oxon.) val. 111/., patr. Rev. J. Bartlett.
HOSE par. (70) Framland hund. NE. Leicest.
6 m. N. of Melton-Mowbray-105, on Grantham
canal. Acres 2140; pop. 417 + 3; poor r. 55Z.
(M. Mowbray U.) ; real prop. 3979Z. ; charities
4/. St. Michael Vic. (Pet.) val. 105Z., patr. Duke
of Rutland. H. Grange, a meet for the Belvoir
HOSELEY Idshp. (74) Gresford par. Flint, and
Bromfield hund. Denbigh. 4 m. NE. of Wrexham
-179, is joined to MEKFORD. H. Hall, late Gen.
HOSELEY. See HOLLESLEY, Norfolk.
HOSKETHILL hmlt. ( ) Kirk Andrew's par.
N. Cumin-Id. 3 m. WNW. of Carlisle-201, near R.
Eden and Ship canal.
HOSPITAL tythg. (13) Gt. Farringdan par.
NW. Berks. 2" m. N. of Farringdon-68, on R.
Isis, contains Thrupp and Littleworth. Pop. 89.
P. HOSPITAL par. (32-3, 40-1) Small County
bar. E. Limerick, a police station, 5 m. E. of
Bruff-134, had a precept ory of the Templars
found. 1266 by Geof. de Marisco, and given as
Kenmare Castle to Sir V. Browne. Acres 3999 ;
pop. 1757, of vil. 781, much decreased. Living,
a Vic. with Aney. Kenmare Cast. J. Gubbins,
Esq. Fairs, 10 May, 9 Julv, 8 Sept. 30 Oct.
HOSPITAL-MILL limit. Cults par. Mid. Fife.
3 m. SW. of Cupar-32. Pop. 66.
HOTHAM par. ( ) Harthill wap. E. R. York.
3 m. NW. of S. Cave-182, on Ermine St. Acres
2530; pop. 430 + 15; poor r. 2321. (Howden
U.) ; real prop. 2945Z. ; charities 21. St. Oswald
Rect. (Yk.) val. 328/., patr. Ld. Chancellor. H.
HOTHERSALL. See HATHERALL, Lancash.
H. Hall, R. Parker, Esq.
P. HOTHFIELD par. (3) Chart hund. Scray
lathe, Mid. Kent, 3m. WNW. of Ashford-53, near
S. East, rail., which belonged to the abps. of
Canterbury, was given by Hen. VIII. to the
Tuftons, and has Jack Cade's field, where he was
captured 1450 by Sheriff Iden, whose sword was
kept in the church till lately; see 2nd part
Hen. VI. act iv. sc. 2. Acres 1900, partly in hop-
grounds; pop. 408; poor r. 2647. (W. Ashfd.
U.) ; real prop. 2456Z. ; charities, Tufton's alms-
houses 59/. St. Mary Rect. (Cant.) val. 243/.,
patr. R. Tufton, Esq. of //. Place, late seat of Earl
HOTHORPE hmlt. (63) Theddingworth par.
NW. Northmptn. 4 m. SW. of Mkt.-Harboro'-83,
on R.Welland. Acres 11 50; pop. 16. H. House, .
P. HOTON chplry. (71) Prestwold par. N. Lei-
cest. S m. NE. of Loughboro'-109, near R. Soar.
Acres 1850; pop. 460 + 6; poor r. 159Z. (Loughb.
U.); real prop. 3177/.
HOTSPUR-PLACE hmlt. ( ) Whitley chplry.
SE. Northmbrld, 2 m. N. of Shields-276.
P. Hotwells (35) near Bristol. See CLIFTON,
HOUGH tnshp. (73) Wybunbury par. S. Che-
shire, 5 m. ESE. of Nantwich-164, on Gd. Junct.
rail. Acres 1080; pop. 275+2; poor r. 100/.
(Nantw. U.) ; real prop. 2280Z. H. Hall, .
Hough Bridge. See Hoebridge, W. Surrey.
l^" H. House ( ) 1 m. SE. of Stafford, Mid.
Stafford. J. Webb, Esq. gif" H.-ON-THE-HILL
par. (70) Loveden wap. SW. Lincoln. 6 m. N.
of Grantham-110, containing Brandon and Gel-
ston, had a priory cell to St. Mary de Voto,
France, found. 1164, and given by Rich. II.
to the Chartreuse, Coventrj-. Acres 3600 ;
pop. 582 + 2 ; poor r. 162Z. (Granth. U.) ; real
prop. 4528Z. ; charities, 5Z. to school. All Saints
Vic. (Line.) val. 99Z., patr. Ld. Chancellor. H.
Houghall (35) 1 m. SE. of Durham, Mid. Durh.
on R. Wear, belonging to the Chapter, was a
moated seat b. by Prior Hotouu, and for a time
occupied by Cromwell.
HOUGHAM par. (3) Bewsboro' hund. and Dover
lib. St. Augustine lathe, E. Kent, 2 m. WSW. of
Dover-71, near the rail., includes CHURCH and
WEST H., near Shakspeare's cliff. Acres 2770 ;
pop. 1311 + 16; poor r. 567Z. (Dov. U.); real
prop. 3255Z. ; charities 6Z. St. Lawrence Vic.
(Cant.) val. 185Z., patr. Archbp. ; church, has old
tombs of the Houghams, Malmaines, Fynens, etc.
of Elms, now a farm-house. Christ Church Cur.