(Ck. R. C.) as part of his mensal.
KILLPECK par. (43) Upper Wormelow hund.
S. Hereford. 7 m. SW. of Hereford- 134, on Aber-
gavenny rail, and a branch of R. Monnow, had a
castle of the Kilpecs, who found, a small black
priory cell to Gloucester abbey. Acres 2230,
partly in hop-grounds; pop. 238 ; poor r. 119/.
(Dore U.) ; real prop. 1585/. ; charities I/. St.
Mary and David Cur. (Heref.) val. 50/., patr. C.
B. Clive, Esq. M. P. ; church, pure norman, b.
1134 by Hugh Fitzwilliam (son of the Conqueror
and ancestor of the Kilpecs), and remarkable for
its specimens of the ' symbolical ' style of build-
ing, in the number and arrangement of windows,
buttresses, cornices, which refer to the trinity,
commandments, gospels, etc.
KILLSWICK par. joined to NORTHMAVEN, Shet-
KILLUA par. (9) Delvin bar. NE. Westmeath,
contains Clonmellon, 5 m. NE. of Castletown-
delvin-42. Acres 5259, with limestone ; pop.
1950, decreasing. Living, a Vic. with Killalon.
K. Castle, seat of Sir M. L. Chapman, Bt., near
a K. Templars' preceptory.
P. KILLUCAN par. (26-8, etc.) Delvin and Far-
bill bars. E. Westmeath, a police station on Royal
canal, containing Raharney, Rath wire, and Kin-
negad-36, with traces of Hugh de Lacy's castle,
some raths, etc., had an abbey found, by St. Lu-
cian. Acres 35,589, with slate, stone, bog, lakes ;
pop. 9562, of vil. 181, decreasing, some spin-
ners. Living, a Rect. (Meath) val. 832A, patr.
Bishop. Hyde Park, G. D'Arcy, Esq. Fairs,
27 Mar. 25 May, 29 Sept. 28 Nov.
KILLUKIN par. (10-1) Boyle bar. N. Roscom-
mon, contains Croghan and part of Carrick-on-
Shannou-98, on K. Rivulet. Acres 4831, with
bog, limestone ; pop. 2963 + 2. Living, a Rect.
with Ardcarne. Croghane, G. Lloyd, Esq. $3?"
KILLUKIN par. (28-9) Roscommon bar. Mid.
Roscommon, 4 m. SW. of Strokestown-94, has
some old forts. Acres 5957, with bog, limestone,
lakes ; pop. 3445, decreasing. Living, a Vic. with
Ardclare. Mount Browne, G. Browne, Esq.
KILLULAGH, or KiLWEiLAGH, par. (8, 13) Del-
vin bar. E. Westmeath, 2 m. SW. of Castletown-
delvin-42, on R. Deel. Acres 8146, with lime,
etc. ; pop. 1229, decreasing. Living, a Vic. with
Drumcree. Rockview, R. Fetherstone-H., Esq.
Castle Mulchans and another castle in ruins.
KiLLi'MMon par. (10-1) Boyle bar. N. Ros-
common, 5 m. NE. of Elphin-101, on R. Shannon.
Acres 5160, with limestone, bog, water; pop
1857, decreasing. Living, a Vic. with Aughrim.
Danesfort, T. Roycroft, Esq.
Killundine Castle, in Morven, NW. Argyll.
near Mull Sound.
KILLUKAN pur. (35-6, 43-4) Lower Tulla bar.
E. Clare, 2 m. NNW. of Broadford- 11 9, contains
Caliaghan's Mills, and some castle ruins on L.
Doon. Acres 7103, with mountain, bog; pop.
3058 + 9. Living, a Rect. and Vic. (Meath) with
O'Mullod and Kilseily, respectively.
KILLURE par. (17-8) Gualtiere bar. E. Water-
ford, 3 m. SSE. of Waterford-96, had a K. Tem-
plars' preceptory, given to the Aylmers. Acres
627 ; pop. 124. Living, a Rect. (Ca. E. W. L.)
with 4 others, val. 1521., patr. Bishop.
Killure Rivulet ( ) rises near Ahascragh, E.
Galway, and falls into E. Suck, near Ballinasloe
and K. Bog.
P. KILLCRIN par. (31-2, 37) W. Shelmaliere
bar. S. IVexford, 6 m. NW. of Wexford- 94, near
E. Slaney, belonged to the Devereuxs, whose old
seat stands here. Acres 1874 ; pop. 651 + 1. Liv-
ing, a Vic. (Os. F. L.) with 3 others, val. 454,
KILLURSA par. (41-2, 55) Clare bar. N. Galway,
contains Headford-137, on L. Corriband R. Black,
with Inchiquin isld. Acres 8878, with bog,
limestone; pop. 4995 + 38. Living, a Rect. with
Headford. Ower, J. Burke, Esq. Sir G. Staun-
ton, who went to China, was born at Cargin
KILLURY par. (8, 9, 14-5) Clanmaurice bar.
~N. Kerry, 6 m. N. of Ardfert-198, on R. Shannon,
contains Causeway, and has some castle ruins.
Acres 11,090, with bog and hill; pop. 6480+ 151.
Living, a Rect. (Lk. A. A.) val. 347/., patr. W.
Crosby, Esq. of Ardfert Abbey.
Kil'lybandrick (15) 4 m. E. of Belturbet, N.
Cavan, J. Thompson, Esq. near K. Lough.
KILLYBEGS, LOWER, par. (73-4, 82-3) Ban-
nagli and Boylagh bars. SIV. Donegal, near Ar-
dara-161, and the following. Acres 15,378 ; pop.
P. M. KILLYBEGS, UPPER, par. (82, 91-2, 97)
Bannagh bar. SIV. Donegal, 161 m. from Dublin,
a police and chief coast-gd. station, in a primitive
spot between MacSwyne's and Fintragh bays,
was found, by R. Jones (Jas. I.), and by charter
from him returned two members before the Union
under the name of ' Calebegg.' Acres 15,584,
chiefly mountain, rising 1619ft. at Crownard;
pop. 4838 + 55, of vil. 798 + 7. Living, a Rect.
(Dy. R.) with the above, val. 4747., patr. Bishop.
Fintragh, J. Hamilton. Esq. The harbour, or
Bay, with anchorage in 6 fath., has 2 fixed lights
on John's point and W. side of Rotten isld. 104
and 67ft. high, put up 1831 and 1838, and seen
14 and 12 m. Mkt. D. Tuesd. Fairs, 15 Jan.
20 Apr. 6 May, 21 June, 12 Aug. 15 Sept. 12 Nov.
KILLYBEGS par. (13-4) Clane bar. Mid. Kil-
dare, 2 m. SW. of Clane-22, on Grand canal, con-
tains Prosperous. Acres 2629; pop. 1216, de-
creasing. Living, a Beef, with Clane. K. House, .
Killycaskea (42) near Shinrone, S. King's Co.
Killydonnell Abbey (46) near Rathmelton, Mid.
Donegal, a ruin.
Killy faddy (58) near Augher, S. Tyrone, R. W.
KILLYGARVAN par. (28, 37) Kilmacrenan bar.
Mid. Donegal, 5 m. NE. of Rathmelton-152, con-
tains Rathmullen, on Lough Swilly. Acres 9132 ;
pop. 3643. Living, a Rect. (Dy.*R.) val. 201/.,
patr. Crown. Hollymount, T. Batt, Esq.
KILLYGLEX GRANGE par. (35, 40) Upper Glen-
arm, E. Antrim, 2 m. WN W. of Larne-121. Acres
2296 ; pop. 605 + 8. Living, a Rect. with Counor.
P. KILLYGORDOX vil. (78) Raphoe bar. SE.
Donegal, 3 m. E. of Stranorlar, 142 from Dublin,
on R, Finn. Pop. 294. K. House, J. Mansfield,
Killyherlin (22) near Enniskillen, Mid. Fer-
managh, on R. Erne, P. Dane, Esq.
P. KILLYLEA vil. (11) Armagh bar. W. Ar-
magh, :> in. W. of Armagh-81, near Ulster canal.
Pop. 337, in the linen trade. Living, a Cur.
(Arm. C.) val. 55/., patr. Primate. Fairy, last Frid.
every month. Knappagh, J. Johnston, Esq.
P." M. KILLYLEAGH par. (23-4, 30-1) Duflerin
and Up. Castlereagh bars. Mid. Down, a petty
sess. and police town, 6 m. NNE, of Downpatrick,
on L. Strangford, containing Tullyvery, belonged
to the M'Cartans and De Courcys, who b. Dult'urin
castle, which came to the O'Nialls, Whites, Ha-
miltons, and was taken by Monk 1C48 ; was
chartered by Jas. I., and sent two members to
parl. before the Union. Acres 11,759, with basalt,
clay slate, bog; pop. 6688+97, of town 1116,
in the cotton and coasting trade ; houses 226, of
stone, with 2 chapels, cotton mills, N. Dou-n
militia barracks. Living, a Rect. (Dn. C. D.) val.
718Z., patr. Trin. Coll. Dub. ; church, cruciform,
reb. by Lord Dufferin, chief landlord. K. Castle,
A. Hamilton, Esq. ; RingdufFerin, J. Baillie, Esq. ;
Delamont, Rev. J. Gordon. Sir Hans Sloane was
a native (1660-1753). Mkt. D. Frid. Fairs,
10 Apr. Trin. Mon. 11 Oct.. and Dec.
P. KILLYMAN par. (1, 4) W. O'Neilland bar.
N. Armagh, and (46-7, 54-5) Dungannon bar.
SE. Tyrone, 2 m. SE. of Dungannon-96, on R.
Blackwater. Acres 10,559, with bog, stone, lime,
basalt, clay slate, red sandstone ; an. val. 8534/. ;
pop. 8220 + 65, some weavers and potters. Living,
a Rect. (Arm. C.) val. 785/., patr. Bishop.
Churchill, Col. Verner, M.P.
KILLYMARD par. (84-5, etc.) Bannagh bar. .5?.
Donegal, contains part of Donegal-143, on R. Esk.
Acres 28,230, chiefly mountain (rising 2213 ft. at
Bluestack) with a sulphur spa, and Lough Esk ;
pop. 4743, decreasing. Living, a Rect. (Dv. R.)
val. 398/., patr. Bishop. L. Esk House, T. Brooke,
Killymoon (29, 38) near Cookstown, E. Tyrone,
Col. W. Stewart.
KiUynacullwyd ( ) near , Carnrcn. J. Rees,
Killynan (20) 6 m.NE. of Mullingar, E. West-
mealh, R. Reynell, Esq.
Killyneale" (10) 4 m. NE. of Monaghan, N.
Killynure (22) near Glassan, IV. JVestmeath,
and K. Lough.
Killyon ( ) near Parsonstown, W. Kino's Co.,
R. Cassidy, Esq. r^P KILLYOX par. (35^ 40-1)
Upper Moyfenrath bar. S1V. Meath, 8 m. N\V.
of Innfield-24, on R. Boyne and Royal canal.
Acres 43 L7; pop. 784, decreasing. Living, a
Vic. with Clonard. K. House, R. Reynell, Esq.
Killyvarnen Hill ( ) near Rathdrum, NE.
KILMACABEA par. (133, etc.) W. East-Carbery
and E. West-Carbery bars. 5 W. Cork, 4 m. NW.
of Ross Carbery-196, on Glendore harb. Acres
13,757, with bog, clay slate, limestone ; pop.
6209 + 4. Living, a Vic. (Ck. R. C.) with Kil-
faughnabeg, val. 221/., patr. Bishop.
KILMACAHILL par. (15-6, 20-1) Gowran bar.
NE. Kilkenny, 2 m. N. of Gowran-67, near R.
Barrow, contains Whitehall. Acres 4593, with
lime, stone ; pop. 1552 + 16. Living, a Vic. (Os.
F. L.) val. 147/., patr. Bishop. Paulstown Cast.,
KILMACALLAX par. (27, 34) Tirerill bar. 5.
Sligo, 6 m. SSE. of Colconey-124, near Lough
Allen, contains part of Riverstown. Acres 9928,
boggy ; pop. 5098 + 83. Living, a Vic. with
Boyle. Lakeview, W. Weir, Esq.
KII.MACANOGE par. (7, 8) Ratlulown bar. N.
Jrichioif, 3 in. SSW. of Bray- 12, under Sugarloaf
mountains, contains Kilmurray. Acres 5401, with
bog, waste ; pop. 2336 + 99. Living, a Rect. with
l-vlgany. Hollybrooke Ho., Sir G. Hodson, Bt.
KILMACAR, or KILMOCAR, par. (5, 10) Fassa-
dinin bar. N. Kilkenny, 2 m. SW. of Castle-
comer-GO. Acres 41G, hilly ; pop. 1997+58.
Living, a Vic. (Os. F. L.) val. 767., patr. Bishop.
Kilmacurt (4, 5) near Hacketstown, NE. Car-
low, T. R. Hardy, Esq.
KILMACDONOGH par. (77-8) Imokilly bar. E.
Cork, 5 m. SSW. of Youghal-152, on that bay,
contains Ballvmacoda with its castle ruins. Acres
6241, hilly ;" an. val. 56537. ; pop. 3838 + 39.
Living, a Vic. with Kilcredan. Ring, J.
>[< 21. KILMACDUAGH par. (122, 128) Kiltartan
bar. S. Galway, containing Connells and part
of Gort-124, is seat of a diocese, and had a monas-
tery found. 620, by St. Cohnan-mac-Duach, re-
fuund. about 1280, as an austin priory, and given
to the Claurickardes. Acres 8804, with bog ; pop.
4H9+37. Living, a Vic. (K. K. C..K.) with 2
others, val. 40 II., patr. Crown. Near the remains
of the priory, etc., which are called the " 7
churches," is a perfect round tower, 17 ft. out of the
perpendicular. K. DIOCESE, prov. of Tuam. joined
to Clonfert, 1602, and both now joined, with Kil-
fenora, to Killaloe, extends over 64,000 acres in
Galway, of which the bishop's lands were 3951
acres, and revenue 8757. ; comprises 21 pars, in 4
benefices, of which 3 are unions ; and the chapter
includes a dean, archdeacon, 2 prebendaries, trea-
surer, and provost. Horn. Cat/i. Diocese, to which
Kilt'enora is joined, contains 19 pars., the bishop's
seat being at Gort.
KILMACDUANE par. (47-8, 57-8) Ibrickan and
Moyarta bars. W. Glare, 5 m. N. of Kilrush-164,
contains Cooraclare. Acres 16,868, hilly with
bog ; pop. 6762 + 13. Living, a Vic. with Kil-
KILMACEVOGE. See KiLMACKEVOGE, Kilkenny.
Kilmacldie, near Inveraven, W. Banff.,
KILMACLASSER par. (68, 77) Burrishoole bar.
W. Mayo, 3 m. ENE. of Westport-170. Acres
C8G6, hilly, with bog; an. val. 23577. ; pop. 3548
+ 1 0. Living, a Vic. with Westport.
KII.MACLEAGUE par. (18, 27) Gaultiere bar.
E. Waterfd. 5 in. SSE. of Waterford-96, near
Brownstown head in Tram ore bay ; acres 3462 ;
pop. 1025 + 3. Living, a Vic. with Ballinakill.
At Somerville is the old seat of the Fortescues.
KILMACLENINE par. (24) Orrery and Kidmore
bars. N. Cork, 5 WSW. of Doneraile-143, has an
old castle of the Barn's. Acres 1042, with lime-
stone ; an. val. 11637. ; pop. 322. Living, a Rect.
(Ck. R. C.) val. 887., patr. Bishop. Fairs, 6 Apr.
21 June, 2 Oct.
KILMACXEVIN par. (10-1, 18) Moygoish bar.
NtV. JVestmeath, 9 m. WNW. of Mullingar-48,
on Royal canal, and R. Inny, has some castle
ruins. Acres 5016, with limestone, bog ; pop.1760.
Living, a Cur. with Leyng. Collanstown, C.
Kilmncolirer ( ) nearTullahought, S. Kilkenny,
KII.MACOMB par. (18, 27) Gaultiere bar. E.
ll'nii'rftl. 6 m. SSW. of Waterford-96, near the
harbour, has a drnid circle. Acres 2401, with
tiv.i-rs <>f coal ; pop. 817 + 3. Living, a Vic. with
I'allinakill. Woodstown, Lord Curew. -The old
dunvh is in ruins.
KlLMACOMOGUE. See KlLMOCO.MOG I'E, Cork.
P. KILMACOW par. (40, 43) Iverk bar. S. Kil-
kenny, a police and petty sess. station, near Mul-
linavat-87, where R. Bluckwater joins R. Suir,
contains Granny (with the Butlers' castle ruins),
and Old Dangan. Acres 4440, with limestone ;
an. val. 2671/. ; pop. 2120+20, of vil. 187 + 1.
Living, a Rect. (Os. F. L.) val.316/., patr. Bishop.
KILMACOW par. joined to Castlemaeauam,
KILMACOWEN par. (14, 20) Up. Carbury bar.
N. Sligo, 2 m. SW. of Sligo-131, on Ballysadere
harb. Acres 3548; an. val. 51327.; pop. 2011,
decreasing. Living, a Rect. with St. John's,
Sligo. Cloverhill, W. Chambers, Esq. Some druid
remains are near St. Diermit's old church.
KILMACREAN. See CUMMER, Clare.
Kilmacreda ( ) in Inver bay, W. Donegal.
KILMACREDOCK par. (6, 11) N. Salt bar. N.
Kildare, 2 m. N. of Cel bridge- 14, near Royal
canal. Acres 479 ; pop. 31.
KILMACREE, or KiLMoCREE, par. (42-3, 47)
Forth bar. S. \Vexford, 5 m. S. of Wexford-94,
near the sea. Acres 1112 ; pop. 218 + 2. Living,
a Cur. with Killinick ; church, a ruin. Grange,
C. Palliser, Esq.
KILMACUEHY par. (14-5, 22) Corcomroe bar.
NW. Clare, 4 m. WXW. of Ennistymon-154, on
the coast, near Hag's Head, contains Lehinch
and Liscanor. Acres 7403, with high cliffs
swarming with puffins ; pop. 4264 + 88. Living,
a Vic. with Kilmanaheen. Birchfield, C. O'Brien,
Esq. M.P. ; Moher, J. Macnamara, Esq. where
the cliff is upwards of GOO ft. high.
KILMACRENAN BARONY (32-7, etc.) N. Donegal,
contains Letterkenny, Rathmelton, Dunfanaghy,
Rathmullen, and the pars, of Aghanunshin, Augh-
nish, Clondahorky, Clondavaddog, Gartan, Killy-
garvan, Kilmacrenan, Mevagh, Raymunterdoney,
Tullaghobegly, Tullyfern, and part of Conwal ;
acres 310,656^ an. val. 42,2947., pop. 729,18, houses
P. KILMACRENAN par. (35, etc.) as above, a
police station, 7 m.NNW. of Letterkenny, 154 from
Dublin, near the rock of Doune, had St. Columb's
abbey, and also O'Donnell's, which was given to
Trin. Coll. Dublin. Acres 35,617, with bog, gra-
nite, rising 1541 ft. at L. Salt mountn. ; pop. 9443
+ 19, of vil. 243. Living, a Rect. (Dy. R.)
val. G90/., patr. Trin. Coll. Dublin ; church, be-
longed to the abbey. Fairs, 1st every month.
KILMACSHALGAN par. (17, etc.) Tireragh bar.
W. Sligo, 5 in. ESE. of Easky-147, contains Dro-
more East. Acres 26,009, hilly, with stone,
slate, lime, bog ; pop. 3872 + 54. Living, a Vic.
(Tu. K. A.) with Templeboy, val. 3837., patr.
Bishop. Dromore House, J. Fenton, Esq.
KILMACTALWAY par. (17, 20-1) Newcastle
bar. IV. Dublin, 1 m. SW. of Dublin, near Gd.
canal. Acres 2493 ; pop. 537 + 6. Living, a
Rect. with Clondalkin. Castle Baggot, J. Baggot,
KILMACTEIGE par. (30, etc.) Leyny bar. S IV.
Sligo, 4 m. SW. of Tobercurry-132, on R. Moy,
contains Aclare. Acres 32,533, with mountain,
bog, lime, iron, and L. Tail ; pop. 9097 + 144.
Living, a Rect. (Tu. K. A.) vul. 3417., patr. Bishop.
P. KILMACTIIOMAS vil. (15) Decies- without-
Drum bar. Mid. Watet-ford, 14 m. WSW. of Wator-
ford, 112 from Dublin, n chief police and petty
sess. station, on R. Mahon, belonging to the
Poors. Pop. 1197 + 21; houses 214, with a dis-
pensary, bridge. It is to be the head of a new
poor 1. Union. Fairs, 2 Feb. 17 Mar. 12 Mav, 1'J
Aug. 29 Sept. G Dec.
KII.MACTRANNY par. (34-5, 40-1) Tirerill bar.
SE. Sligo, a police and petty sess. station, 3 m.
NE. of Ballinafad-111, near L. Arrow, has a
cromlech, or sun altar, in the mountns. Acres
13,447, with limestone, iron, coal ; pop. 4604
+ 60. Living, a Vic. (K. E. A.) with 2 others,
val. 837., patr. Bishop. Hollybrook Ho., J. Ffol-
P. KILMACUD par. (22-3) Eathdown bar. 8.
Dublin, 4 m. SSE. of Dublin, in a fine spot.
Acres 286 ; pop. 192 + 5. Living, a Chplry. with
Stillorgan. K. House, T. Mooney, Esq. Kibbles-
dale, Archbp. of Dublin.
KILMACUMST par. (10, 15-6) Frenchpark bar.
N. Roscomn. 1 m. NW. of Elphin-101. Acres
5454, hilly, with limestone ; pop. 2686 + 29. Liv-
ing, a Vic. with Ardclare.
KILMADEMOGE, or KiLMODUMOGE, par. (14)
Fassadinin bar. N. Kilky. 5 m. SW. of Castle-
comer-60. Acres 1726; pop. 551, decreasing.
Living, a Red. with Mothell.
P. KiLMADOCK-wiTH-Dot'NE par. 26 m. SW.
of Perth, S. Perth. 44 from Edinbro', between
Rs. Forth and Teith, includes Buchany, Deanston
(cotton works), Cambus, Drumvaich, Bridge of
Teith, parts of Ncrrieston and Flenders Moss.
Size 8 m. square, fertile and cultivated, with
Naigh More hill, Lochs Ludnich, Maghaig, etc.,
and trout in Rs. Ardoch, Cambus, Kelty ; pop.
4055 + 30, many weavers, etc. ; real prop. 17,9937. ;
for poor 6557. Living (presb. Dunblane) val.
2887., patr. Lady Willoughby d'Eresby, of Drum-
mond Cast. ; church, on site of St. Madocus' mo-
nastery, which had 6 chapels attached to it.
Doune Cast., Earl Moray, chief heritor ; Gartin-
caber, J. Murdoch, Esq*. ; Cambusmore, A. Bu-
chanan, Esq. ( ?)
KILMADON. See KILMODAN, Argyll.
KILMADUM, or KILMODDM, par. (10-1, 14-5)
Fassadinin and Gowran bars. N. Kilky. 5 m. S. of
Castlecomer-60. Acres 3425; pop. 1119. Living,
a Vic. with Dunmore.
P. KILMAGANNY par. (30-1, 34-5) Kells bar. j
S. Kilky., 13 m. S. of Kilkenny-72, a petty sess.
and police station, with the Walshes' castles at
Castlehill, etc. Acres 7455 ; pop. 2635 + 53, of
vil. 593 + 8. Living, a Reel, with Knocktopher.
Rosnara, W. M. Reade, Esq. Fairs, East. Tu. 4
KILMAGLASS par. joined to KILMOREY, Bute.
KILMAHOG vil. Callander par. S. Perth. 3 m.
NW. of Callander-52, on R. Teith, near Leny
pass. Pop. 116.
KILMAIION par. (89) Imokilly bar. E. Cork,
4 m. SE. of Cloyne-152, a pleasant spot near the
coast, containing Ballynacreen, with two castle
ruins of the Desmonds. Acres 2849, with lime-
stone, clay, slate ; pop. 1785 +13. Living, a Reel.
(Ck. R. C") val. 471/., patr. Bishop.
KILMAHUDDRICK. par. (17) Newcastle bar. W.
Dublin, 6 m. W. of Dublin. Acres 181 ; pop. 6.
Living, a Chplry. with Clondalkin.
KILMAINE BARONY (117, etc.) S. Mayo, con-
tains Hollymount, the pars, of Kilcommon, Kil-
mainebeg, Kilmainemore, Kilmolara, Moogagagh,
Robeen, Shrule, and parts of Ballinchalla, Bal-
linrobe, and Cong ; acres 105,989, an. val. 49,534/.,
pop. 42,342, houses 7651. It comprises the Par-
trigia de Kiara and de Lacu, or Conmacne Cull-
tola, of the old Irish.
KILMAINE vil. (121) in Kilmainebeg par. be-
low. Pop. 421.
KILMAINEBEG par. (121-2) Kilmaine bar. S.
Mayo, 5 m. SE of Ballinrobe-147, contains KIL-
MAINE as above. Acres 3614; pop. 1491 + 15.
Living, a Reel, with Kilmainemore. Fountain
Hill, T. Jennings, Esq.
P. KILMAINEMORE par. (118-9, 121-2) Kil-
maine bar. S. Mayo, a petty sess. and police sta-
tion, 3 m. SE. of Ballinrobe-147, near the above,
has some old castle ruins. Acres 13,792, with
bog, limestone, lake ; pop. 4887 + 71. Living, a
Vic. with Kilmainebeg and Moorgaga (Tu. K. A.)
val. 5487., patr. Bishop. Glencorrib, R. Browne,
Esq., M. P.
P. KILMAINHAM vil. (18) Uppercross bar. Mid.
Dublin, a suburb of Dublin (close to Gt. S. and
West. rail, terminus), where the co. election takes
place, has, on the site of St. Maignend's mo-
nastery (6th cent.), and the Templars' priory
found. 1174 by Strongbow, the military hospital
endowed 1679 byCh. II., and the sessions court
and gaol. Pop. 670, in Willans' woollen fac-
tory. The Queen visited (8 Aug. 1848) the hos-
pital, which was reb. by Wren (for 23,5597.), is a
quadrangle 306 ft. by 288, with a hall 100 ft. long,
and many portraits, a chapel (having the priory
E. window), infirmary, etc. ; the establishment,
consisting of a master (the commander of the
forces, whose head qrs. are here), deputy, trea-
surer, provedore, secretary, 4 captains, and others,
and 250 men. A large monumental stone is seen
in the Templars' ch.-yard. g3 KILMAINHAM
par. (2, 5) Low. Kefls bar. 2V. Meath, a police
station, 8 m. NNE. of Kells-39, belonging to
the Husseys, contains Carlanstown. Acres 3716,
with stone; pop. 1412, of vil. 137, decreasing.
Living, a Rect. with Newtown. Kilbeg, .
KILMAKEVOGE par. (40-1) Ida bar. 5. Kilky.
4 m. SW. of New Ross-90. Acres 3232 ; pop.
1239 + 21. Living, a Vie. with Rosbcrcon. Ayl-
KILMAKILLOGE, or GOREY, par. (6, 7, li-2)
Ballaghkeen and Gorey bars. N. Wexford, con-
tains Gorey-61. Acres 5316; pop. 4896+51.
Living, a Rect. (Os. F. L.) with 3 others, vaL 557.,
KILMALCOLM par. Lower Ward, N. Renfrew.
5 m. SE. of Greenock-56, on R. Clyde, has Duchal
Cast, the old seat of the Porterfields. Size 6 m.
square, or 24,750 acres, moory, with salmon and
trout in Rs. Gryfe and Duchal; pop. 1616, of
vil. 377 ; real prop. 11,1067. ; for poor 2747. Liv-
ing (presb. Green.) val. 2467., patr. Dr. Anderson's
heirs. At Finlayston, Jno. Knox's communion
cups are kept.
Kilrnaleady Bog ( ) 2 m. N. of Clara, N. King's
Co., having burst, has moved a distance of 3 m.
KILMALEERY par. (51) Low. Bunrattv bar.
Mid. Clare, 2 m. SW. of Newmarket-134,*on R.
Fergus, has the M'Mahon's castle at Clenagh.
Acres 2267, very good ; pop. 737 + 7. Living, a
Vic. with Kilnasoolagh.
KILMALEN par. joined to INVERARY, Argyll.
KILMALEY par. (39, etc.) Islands bar. Mid.
Clare, 5 m. WSW. of Ennis-138, has many hill
raths. Acres 23,937, with mountain, bog ; pop.
4908 + 61. Living, a Vic. (K. K. C. K.) with
Dromcliffe, val. 667., patr. Bishop. Fairhill, ;
Lough Burke Ho., Lucas, Esq.
KILMALINOGE, or KiLNABRONOGE, par. (118,
127) Longford bar. SE. Galway, 2 m. NE. of
Portumna-112, on R. Shannon. Acres 3553;
pop. 1126 + 14. Living, a Rect. with Clonfert.
Earlstown, . A ruined church, chapel, and
convent are here.
KILMALKEDA'R par. (32-3, 42-3) Corkagtiiny
bar. IV. Kerry, 3 m. NNW. of Dingle-220, on
Smerwick harb., has a friary found, by the
Spaniards, a very old stone-roofed hermitage,
20 ft. by 10, two forts, etc. Acres 5900, mountain,
bog ; pop. 2333 + 5, some fishermen. Living, a
Vic. (Lk. A. A.) with Fenit, val. 1737, patr.
Bishop ; church, in ruins, with norman door, and
stone cross and Ogham stones in ch.-yard.
KILMALLIE par. Argyll dist. JV. Argyll, and
& W. Inverness, between Lochs Leven and Archaig,
contains Fort William-135, Ballichulish and its
slate quarry, Maryburgh, and is watered by Rs.
Lochy and Nevis (which has a fall of 500 ft.) and
L. Eil. Size 60 m. by 10, or 377,000 acres (4370 ft.
high at Ben Nevis}", sheep-walks, etc., with
red granite, slate, marble, lead, lime, red deer,
black cattle, foxes, eagles, etc., game, sea-fowl,
salmon, trout, herring, etc. ; pop. 5397, decreas-
ing; real prop. 801 21. ; for poor 1165/. Living
(presb. Allertarff ) val. 288Z., patr. Cameron of
Locheil, whose old cast, remains ; church, has 9
chapels attached to it. Ardgour, A. Maclean,
Esq. Dundkairdghall vitrified fort is on a hill
1200 ft. high, and there is a cave at Uaigh PHoirle.
Bp. Cameron (of Jas. I.'s time), Sir Ewen C. 1629-
1719, and Innes the anatomist, were natives.
KILMALLOCK BARONY, liberties of (39, 40,
47-8) S. Limerick, corresponds with the parish,
P. &. KILMALLOCK par. (47) in the above bar.
17 m. S. of Limerick, 140 from Dublin (or 124
by Gt. S. and W. rail.) on R. Lubach, a police,
petty sess., and formerly a mkt. town, and
boro'' by prescription, which sent two members
to parliament before the Union, was the an-
cient seat of the Desmonds, had an abbey
found. (7th cent.) by St. Mocheallog, or Molach,
was walled before Edw. III., and made a mint
town by Edw. IV., has remains of a dominican
friary found. 1291 by Gilbert de Cullan, was
destroyed 15G8 by Fitzmaurice, and being re-
stored was dismantled by Cromwell, and has
become a heap of ruins. Acres 4074, with stone ;
an. val. 5497/. ; pop. 3126 + 29, of town 1408
+ 19 ; houses 251. St. Peter and Paul Cur. (Lk.
A. A.) val. 90/., patr. Dean and Chap. Limrk. ;
church, formerly collegiate and part in ruins, has
a bell tower, and tombs of the Fitzgeralds, etc.
Remains exist of old stone houses, the castle,
part of the walls, two gates, besides the church,
cloisters, tower, etc. of the friary. Mount Coote,
C. Coote, Esq. ; Ash Hill Tower, E. Evans, Esq.
Gave title of visct. to Gen. Sarsfield. Kilmal.
P. L. Union, contains 22 elect, divs. in Cork