which, and of other ecclesiastical structures which
existed in William of Malmesbury's time, nothing
remains), where a general slaughter of 1200 monks
was committed by Ethelfrith of Northumbria 593.
Acres about 8000; pop. 1257, of town 59G;
poor r. 2057. (Wrexh. U.); real prop. 43637.;
charities 867., of which 497. to Lady Jeffrey's
school. St. Dinoth Jlect. (Ches.) with Overton
cur. val. 12007., patr. Marq. of Westminster. B.
Bank, 3. Cotgreave, Esq.
BANHAGLOG (56) Llandinam par. S. Mont-
gomy. 4 m. NE. of LlanidIoes-188, is a Cur.
(Bang.) val. 7., patr. Bishop.
P. BANHAM par. (66) Guiltcross hund. S.
Norfolk, 2 m. SW. of New Buckenham-93. Acres
3710; pop. 1165 poor r. 8637. (Guiltcr. U.); real
prop. 77247. ; charities 1467. St. Mary Rect.
(Norw.) val. 8007., patr. Ld. Chancellor. B.
Haugh, 1 m. S.
Bangour, 2 m. WSW. of Uphall, -S. LinUhgw.
seat of the Hamiltons of that Ilk.
Bunhurst, or Nunhurst, Farm (8) 5 m. SE. of
Godalming-33, S. Surrey.
Bank, The (80) 2 m. SW. of Middlewich, SE.
Chesh. ^g Bank, The (80) near Tarporley, Mid.
Chesh. a seat of the Egertons.
Bank of Soundings, or briefly " Soundings,"
stretching from France in lat. 48 N. to Ireland in
long. 11 W. across the mouth of the Channel,
is a tract where soundings, in 70 to 100 fath., are
had coming from the Atlantic. It is steep at the
edge which is known, in fine weather by the
ripplings, in rough weather by the discolouration,
of the water. The bottom is sandy and coarse,
without mud, except about 49 20', the parallel
for entering the Channel, where it is muddy. A
few smaller banks, as the Nymph, and others are
marked in the charts, but they scarcely alter the
character of the bottom, which rises from the
edge evenly up the British chan. and also up the
Bristol chan., but deepens a little towards the
Welsh side of St. George's chan. Rennell's cur-
rent setting NW. out of the Bay of Biscay, is
at times sensibly felt hereabouts.
Bank Green (82) 6 m. NW. of Chesterfield, 2V.
Derby. igT B. Hall (81) near Stockport, NE.
Cheshire, F. Phillips, Esq. igT B. Hall (80) 2 m.
S. of Altrincham, N. Cheshire, g^" B. Hall (81)
li S. of Chapel-le-Frith, NW. Derby. J. Frith,
Esq. ^- B. Hall (89) 8 m. WNW. of Chorley,
W. Lancash. G. A. L. Keck, Esq. |^ B.
Hall (80) near Warrington, 5. Lancash. J. W.
Patten, Esq., M.P. iJST B. House (89) near
Wigan, S. Lancash. T. Woodcock, Esq." igT B.
House (61) near Coalbrookdale, E. Salop, J. Rey-
nolds, Esq. ifaf B. House, at Acton, Midsx. seat
of Mrs. Payne, formerly of Rons, provost of Eton,
and one of Cromwell's ' peers.' gr* B. House ( )
6 m. SSE. of Alnwick, E. Northmbrld. near R.
Coquet, gif B. NEWTON. See NEWTON BANK,
W. R. York. U^- B. Place, near Limerick, N.
Z,tm.belongs to Maunsell, of Plassy. igp-B. QUAY
parcel (80) Warrington par. S. Ijancash. near
Warrington- 184. J&T B. TOP, or HILL TOP, vil.
(89) Sharpies tnshp. S. Lancash. 4 m. NNW. of
Bolton-197. U^ B. Top (89) close to Burnley,
E. Lane. J. Hargreaves, Esq.
P. BANKEND vil. Carlaverock par. Dumf. 5 m.
SSE.ofDumfries-73. Pop. 189. ^F BANKEND
Kirkgunzeon par. E. Kirkcudbt. 7 m. NE. of
Castle-Douglas-92. Pop. 30.
BANKER tnshp. (79) Llandrynog par. E Denb
4m. E. of Denbigh-201. Pop. 96.
Bankfield ( ) 8 m. NNW. of Kirkham, W.
Lancash. R. Harrison, Esq.
P. BANKFOOT vil. Auchtergaven par. E. Perth.
near Auchtergaven-53. Pop. 439. ijig- BANK-
FOOT ( ) near Bradford, W. R. York, is a Cur.
(Rip.) val. 1007., patr. J. Hardy, Esq.
BANKFORT. See GADGIRTH-HOLM, Ayrshire
$& Bankfort (89) 4 m. W. of Newton, S. Lan-
cash. C. Orrell, Esq.
BanMiead, near Eccles, 5. Berwick.
P. BANKHEAD hmlt. Monikie par. S. Forfar.
near Monikie-66. Pop. 56. ^T BANKHEAD
tnshp. W. Coquetdale ward. Mid. Northmbrld. 2
m. N. of Rothbury-304. Pop. 16.
BANKLAND hmlt. (20 or 21) North Petherton
par. Mid. Somerset. 6 m. NE. of Taunton-141.
Real prop. 19427.
BANKS constablewick (106) Burtholme tnshp.
N. Cumbrld. 2 m. N. of Brampton-311. tJaT BANKS
hmlt. North Meols tnshp. S W. Lancash. 9 m. N.
BANKS, FEE, hmlt. (44) Longboro' par. E.Glou-
cest. 2 m. NW. of Stow-on-the- Wolds-82. ^B.
Hall (87) 3 m. W. of Barnsley, W. R. York, S.
Thorp, Esq. | B. How (100) NE. corner of
Douglas bay, /. of Man.
Bankside (88) 6 m. N. of Rochdale, E. Lancash.
J. Ormerod, Esq.
Banksides (65), near Lynn, NW. Norfolk, T.
Bankton, 1 m. SE. of Preston Pans-9, E. Had-
dingtn. was formerly the seat of the good Col.
Gardiner, killed in the battle of 1745.
BANKTON PARK vil. Kettle par. Mid. Fife. 5 m.
SW. of Cupar-32. Pop. 136.
BANLAGHAN hmlt. (143) W. Carbery bar. SW.
Cork, near Rosscarbery-201, seat of the Donovans.
Bann (Lower) River (42) the ancient Banna,
rises in Lough Neagh, passes 33 m. NW. through
Lough Beg, at Toome, then by Portglenone.
Kilrea, and Coleraine, over several falls to the
Atlantic near Portstewart, dividing Antrim and
Londondy. Ijaf Bann ( Upper) River (48) rises in
the Mourne mountns. W. Down, and runs 25 m.
NW. past Banbridge, Gilford, Portadown (where
the Newry canal joins it, and whence it is navi-
gable for small craft), to Lough Neagh at Ban-
foot ferry ; it has a total fall of 366 ft., and salmon
fisheries which belong to the Fishmongers' Comp.
gig- Bann River (2) rises in Annagh hill, NE.
Wexford, and runs 20 m. past Ferns to the Slaney
at Scarawalsh-bridge, 3 m. N. of Enniscorthy.
Bannagor Crags (35) 3 m. NNW. of Chepstow,
SE. Monmo. in the finest part of R. Wye, oppo-
site Piercefield, and near Lancaut, Wyndcliff, etc.
Bannau Brecheinog (42) or Brecknockshire bea-
cons, 5 m. SW. of Brecknock, 2862 ft. high, are
two of the highest points of the Black moun-
tains, or of S. Wales. |^ B. Sir Goer (42) or
Carmarthenshire beacons, about 2600 ft. high, two
other peaks of the Black mountains, W. of the
above, at R. Usk's head, on the border line
of Brec. and Caerm. ; one being in Brecon, but
classed with its neighbour, to distinguish them
from the two nearer Brecknock.
Bannavie Inn, near Fort William, S. Inverness.
BANNEL tnshp. (79) Hawarden par. SE. Flint.
near Hawarden-189. Pop. 138.
Bannels (71) 4 m. SW of Derby, S. Derby.
Banner Cottage (19) near Bath, NE. Somerset,
Sir P. Ackland, Bt.
BANNER CROSS hmlt. (82) Eccleshall-Bierlovr
tnshp. W. R. York. 3 m. SW. of Sheffield-162, |
has the seat of Rev. W. Baghshawe, b. in later
eng. style by Gen. Murray.
BANNINGHAM par. (68) S. Erpingham hund.
NE. Norfolk, 4 m. W. of N. Walsham-125. Acres
770 ; pop. 329 ; poor r. 231Z. (Aylsham U.) ; real
prop. 1871Z. ; charities 61. St. Botolph Beet.
(Xorw.) val. 295Z., patr. S. Bignold, Esq.
Bannister Lodge (11) near Southampton, S.
Hants. W. Fitzhugh, Esq.
P. BANNOCKBURN q. s. par. St Ninian's par.
NE. Stirling. 3 m. SSE. of Stirling-35, on Scot.
Cent. rail, and B. Water (which rises near Earl's
hill, and runs about 10 m. to the Forth, below Stir-
ling), is famous in history for the great victory
gained by The Bruce over Edw. II. 24 July, 1314,
and is near Sauchie burn, where Jas. III. was de-
feated by his subjects, 1488. Pop. 3176, of vil.
2206, in" the manufact. of tartans and carpets. B.
House, . Near it, are the Bared Stone where
Bruce planted his standard ; Randal's (or Ran-
dolph's) field, and Ingram's crook, after a scotch
and english commander ; the Gillies' hill, where
the camp followers were stationed; and other
spots. The Li'thgow hounds meet here.
Bannock's Craigs ( ) 2 m. WSW. of Belling-
ham, S W. Northmbrld. have a fine view.
Bannovallium of the Romans, is HORXCASTLE
or LUDFORD, Line, at the end of the Foss way.
P. BANNOW par. (45-6) Bargy bar. 8W.
Wexfd. 17 m. SW. of Wexford, 110 from Dublin,
on B. Bay, containing Carrick, is a coast gd.
station, and was a borough sending 2 members
to parl. before the Union. Acres 6551, light soil
and sand ; pop. 2378 + 19, many fishermen. Liv-
ing, a Vic. with Kilcavan. Grange, T. Boyse,
Esq. chief proprietor, and a great benefactor to
the place. Ban. (or Featherd) Harb., 4 m. bv 1,
has anchorage for small craft only ; Tintern Cas-
tle serves as a sea-mark, and the remains of the
old town of Bannow, said to have been swallowed
by the sand, are on B. Isthmus, which protects
BANSHA, or TF.MPLENERA. vil.(67)Clanwilliam
bar. SW. Tippery. 5 m. ESE. of Tipperary-128,
on R. Arra. Pop. 378 + 9. B. Castle, E. O'Ryan,
P. BANSTEAD par. (8) First Copthorne hund.
E. Surrey. 3 m. E. of Epsom-la, under B. Downs,
which are 576 ft. high, and are famous for the
Epsom races, their extensive prospects, and ex-
cellent mutton. Acres 5840; pop. 1168+17;
poor r. 555L (Epsom U.) ; real prop. 7147/. ; cha-
rities 39/1 All Saints Vic. (Wine.) val. 310/.,
patr. Rev.W.L. Buckle, vicar, of Little Burrough.
Several barrows are about, and it is thought to
have been a roman station. B. House, Mot-
teux, Esq. once noted for its walnut-trees.
Bantany House (5) near Robertsbridge, E. Sus-
sex, 4 m. N. of Battle, E. Alfree, Esq.
BANTEER vil. (31) Duhallow bar. NW. Cork,
2m. S. ofKanturk-166. Pop. 137.
BANTHAM hmlt. (24) Thurlestone par. S. De-
von. 4 m. W. of Kingsbridge-208, at the Aven's
mouth, has B. Road, a retreat for small craft
inside Burr or Borough Isld. in Bigbury bay.
BANTON q. s. par. Kilsvth par. SE. Stirling.
2 m. NE. of Kilsyth-36. Pop. 964 ; of vil. 130.
BANTRY BARONY (105-6, etc.) 5 W. Cork, con-
tains parts of the pars, of Durrus and Kilmaco-
mogue, and the town of Bantry ; acres 59,216, '
with limestone, copper, and lead mines, pop.
15,593, houses 2467. i^T BANTRY BARONY
(30-1, etc.) W. Wexfd. contains the pars, of
Adamstown, Ballyanna, Carnagh Chapel, Clon-
leigh, Doonooney, Kiluowanmore, Kill an. Killeg-
ney, Kilscanlan, Oldross, Rossdrae, St. John's,
St. Mary's, Templeludigan, Templescoby ; parts
of Ballyhogue, Clonmore, Newbawn, St. Mullin's,
Whitechurch, and Whitechurchglynn, and the
towns of Ross, Clonroche, and Maudlin's ; acres
101,988, an. val. 62.162Z., pop. 34,762Z., houses
P. M. BANTRY town (118) Bantry bar. SW.
Cork, 44 m. WSW. of Cork, 218 from Dublin,
on B. Bay, a sub-port to Ballymore, and a ses-
sions and chief police station]! now called Kil-
goban. Pop. 4082, in the fisheries and corn
trade; houses 702, with Kilmacomogne church,
2 chapels, and court-house. Gives title of earl,
etc. to the Whites of Sea Court, chief pro-
prietors. The Bay (117, etc.) between Sheep-
head and Crowhead, lies ENE. and WSW. ;
length 20 miles, breadth from 3 to 5, with a
depth of from 10 to 20 fath. It has Bear isld.
and haven on the N. side, and at the top Glen-
gariff and Bantry harbours; the latter being
inside Whiddy Isld., with anchorage in 3 to 6
fath. Hungry hill (with its fall) is the principal
sea-mark 2251 ft. high. A French fleet came
in here 1689, on behalf of Jas. II. ; and here
that which attempted to land 1796, under Gen.
Hoche and Adml. de Galles was dispersed by
a storm. Ban. P. L. Union, includes 9 elect, divs.
in Cork, with 18 guardians ; acres 178,732, pop.
56,165, ho. room for 976, cases relieved (1847-8)
5491 (besides 20,392 out-door), expend. 12,1007.,
prop, rated 41,8291. Mht.D. Sat. Fairs, 19 Mar.
1 May, 9 June, 15 July, 21 Aug. 15 Oct. 1 Dec.
P. "BAN WELL, par." (19) Winterstoke hund.
N. Somerset. 134 m. from London, 4 m. NNW.
of Axbridge, a petty sessions town near Brist.
and Ex. rail, under the Mendip hills, has been
from the Confessor's time the seat of the Bishops
of Bath and Wells, to whom the manor belongs.
Acres 4970 ; pop. 1819 + 20 ; poor r. 646Z. (Axbr.
U.) ; real prop. 14,451Z. ; charities 17/., of which
111. to free school. St Andrew Vic. (Ba. and
W.) val. 702/., patr. Dean and Chap, of Bristol ;
church, later eng., with screen, 8-sided font,
stone pulpit, and 3 brasses (from 1470). Iron
is worked; caverns are shown containing great
quantities of animal bones ; and there are british
and roman camps near Little wood part of a
park which existed at ' Domesdy.' B. Court, or
Towerhead, b. by Bp. Godwyn 1584, on the site of
a monastery found, before Alfred's time. Fairs, 18
Jan. and July, cattle and cheese.
BAPCHILD" par. (3) Milton hund. Scrav lathe,
N. Kent, 6 m. WNW. of Faversham-47, has
remains of a resting-place for Canterbury pil-
grims. Acres 1080, part in hops ; pop. 338 + 2 ;
poor r. 183/. (Milton U.) ; real prop. 3166/. St.
Lawrence Vic. (Cant.) val. 192Z., Dean and
Chap, of Chichester.
BAPTIST GRANGE par.(70, 77) Middlethird bar.
SE. Tippery. 5 m. NNE. of Clonmel-104. Acres
2858 good ; pop. 782. Living, a Vic. with Cahir.
Lakefield, W. Pennefather, Esq.
BAPTON hmlt. (15) Fisherton de la Mere par.
S. Wilts. 5 in. SE. of Heytesbury-90, has the
seat of J. Davis, Esq. Pop. 143.
Bar of Lough (46) 4 m. E. of Bannow bay, is
a coast gd. station and sub-port to Wexford at
the mouth of Bullyteigue lough.
Bar Pastures (64) Whittlesea lib. N. Camb.
5 m. NE. of Peterboro'.
BARA, or BAKO, par. is joined to GARVALD,
Bara^ or Barrow, Harb. (28) in Ballyhague bay,
NW. Kerry, 12 m. SSE. of Kern' head, near seat
of Sir E. Denny, Bt., and an old castle.
Baranach Isld. (lf>) in Blacksod bay, NW.
Mayo, 6 m. SSW. of Belmullet, opposite a ruined
castle in Ellie harb.
BARACHNIE hmlt. Old Monkland par. N. La-
nark. 6 m. SE. Glasgow-44. Pop. 235.
Baraset House (54) 2 m. ENE of Stralford-on-
Avon, S IV. Warwk. Rev. J. Harding.
Barbachlaiv Water runs to R. Avon, Bathgate
par. S W. Linlithgw. near a colliery.
BARBARA VILLE vil. Kilmuir Easter par. E.
Ross. 1 m. S. of Tain-207. Pop. 173.
BARBASWALLS vil. Ruthven par. S W. Forfar.
6 m. SW. of Kirriemuir-61. Pop. 36.
Barbary, or Barbury, Castle (34) 5 m. NNW.
of Marlboro'-74, a circular british camp on B. Hill,
where the West Saxons defeated the Britons,
Barbamlla (8) 5 m. SE. of Castlepollard, NE.
Westineath, W. Smytlie, Esq., near L. Lene.
Barber and Cockle Shoals, N. of Yarmouth
Roads, near Caistor, E. Norfolk, divide Hemesby
Gat from Cockle Gat both well buoyed.
BARBER NOOK hmlt. (82) Eccleshall-Bierlow
tnshp. W. R. York. 4 m. SW. of Sheffield, seat of
BARBERSTOWN hmlt. (10) N. Salt bar. NE.
Kildare, 4 m. S. of Maynooth-15, near B. Castle,
and part of a round tower.
Barbican Castle (7) W. Midx. 1 m. SE. of
Uxbridge. T. Bent, Esq. on Hillingdon Heath.
Barbiston Castle, near Dalrymple, Mid. Ayr.
a ruin as old as 1340.
BARBON chplry. ( ) Kirkby Lonsdale par.
S. Westmrld. 3 m. NNE. of K. Lonsdale-252.
Acres 4690 ; pop. 315 ; poor r. 63?. (Kendal U.) ;
real prop. 2513?. Living, a Cur. (Ches.) val. 80?.,
patr. Vicar. B. Dale and B. Fells, 1 m. E.
Barbot Hall (82) 1 m. N. of Rotherham, W.
R. York. Col. Newton.
Barbourne House (54) 1 m. N. of Worcester,
Mid. Wore. Rev. G. Woodcock.
Barbreck, Argyll. Adml. D. Campbell.
Barbury Hill (34) 4 m. N. by W. of Marlboro',
NE. Wilts, has a 2-ditched british and saxon
BARBY par. (53) Fawsley hund. N. Northmptn.
5 m. NNW. of Daventry-72, near the Oxford
canal and N. West. rail. Acres 3700 ; pop. 640 ;
poor r. 357?. (Rugby U.) ; real prop. 6994?. ; cha-
rities, town and poor's lands, 121?. St. Mary
Rect. (Pet.) val. 1150?., patr. Trustees.
Barcaldine, 10 m. NE. of Oban, N. Argyll, on
BARCHESTON par. (44) Kington hund. S. Warwk.
m. SE. of Shipston-on-Stour-83, includes Wil-
lingtou. Acres 1620, pop. 193 ; poor r. 88?.
(Shipst. U.) ; real prop. 2438?. St. Mary Rect.
(Wore.) val. 193?., patr. Rev. G. D. Wheeler,
BARCOMB HUNDRED (5) Lewes rape, Mid.
Susx. includes the 3 purs, of Barcomb (as below),
Hamsey, and Newick ; acres 9740, pop. 2475,
P. BARCOMB par. (5) in the above hund. Lewes
rape, Mid. Sussex. 3 m. N. by E. of Lewes-50,
on R. Ouse. Acres 5280 ; pop. 1028 + 10 ; poor r.
700?. (Cbailey U.) ; real prop. 7988?. ; charities,
Langton's school, 681. St. Mary Rect. (Chic.) val.
719?., patr. Ld. Chancellor. B. House, Mrs. Rick-
man ; B. Place, . Barcombe (25) 5 m. of
Tavistock, W. Devon.
Bard Head, S. of Brcssay, Shetland Islds.
BARDEN tnshp. (97) Hawkeswell par. N. R.
York. 3 m. NE. of Leyburn-235. Acres 1330 ;
pop. Ill ; real prop. 1171?. ^gr BARDEN chplry.
(92) Skipton par. W. R. York. 1 m. NE. of Skip-
ton-216, includes B. DYKES hmlt. in Wharfdale.
Acres (with Bolton Abbey tnshp.) 10,110; pop.
212; poor r. 73?. (Skipton U.) ; real prop. 863?.
B. Fells, once covered with forest, 2 m. W. ; and
at B. Tower Hen. Clifford the 'shepherd lord'
was hid 1461-86, after the battle of Towton.
P. BARDFIELD, GREAT, par. (47) Feskwell
hund. N. Essex, 7 m. NW. of Braintree-40, a
petty sess., and once a mkt. town, on the Black-
water. Acres 3400 ; pop. 1120 + 10 ; houses 240 ;
poor r. 473?. (Dunmow U.) ; real prop. 6258?. ;
charities 72?. St. Mary Vic. (Roch.) val. 179?.,
patr. Trustees of W. C. Key, Esq. ; church, has
brass of a woman. Fair, 22 June, cattle. i$g B.,
LITTLE, par. as above, 6 m. NNE. of Dunmow-38,
includes B. End. Acres 1970 ; pop. 375 + 6 ; poor
r. 323?. (Dunmow U.) ; real prop. 2491?. ; charities
89?., of which Mrs. Bernand's almshouses, etc., 86?.
St. Catherine Rect. (Roch.) val. 590?., patr. Rev.
M. Bernard, of B. Lodge, rector. gg" B., or LITTLE
SALING, par. as above, 2 m. SE. of it. Acres 1510 ;
pop. 3381 + 2 ; poor r. 282?. (Dunm. U.) ; real prop.
1727Z. ; charities 11. St. Margaret donative Cur.
(Roch.) val. 75?., patr. W. Sandel, Esq.
BARDLEY tnshp. (55) Stottesden par. SE.
Salop, 3 m. N. of Cleobury Mortimer-137. Pop. 178.
BARDNEY par. (83) W. Wraggoe wap. Mid,
Lincoln. 5 m. S. of Wragby-143 on Gt. North, rail.,
including Southrow, was the saxon Bardanig or
Bealthanig, and the site of a religious house found,
before 697, by Etheldred of Mercia, of which he
died abbot. Acres 5490; pop. 1192 + 10; houses
256 ; poor r. 337?. (Lincoln U.) ; real prop. 7716?. ;
charities 206?., including 136?. to gram, school.
St. Lawrence Vic. (Line.) val. 60?., patr. Bishop.
B. Dairy, 2 m. N. The Burton hounds meet here.
Bardolph (65) 2 m. NE. of Downham, W.
Bardolph's Farm (46) 4 m. NW. of Ware,
BARDON hmlt. (20) St. Decuman par. W. So-
merset. 2 m. SW. of Watchet-156.
BARDON PARK ext. par. (63) Sparkenhoe hund.
NW. Leicest. 9 m. NW. of Leicester-96, seat of
R. Hood, Esq., near B. Hill, which is the highest
point of the Charnwood range, and though but
853 ft. commands the most extraordinary view
in the kingdom including Lincoln cathedral
(45 m. NE.), Dunstable hills (80 m. SE.), the
Malvem hills (80 m. SW.), Sugar Loaf, near
S. Wales (100 m. SW.), the Wrekin and the
hills of N. Wales (70 to 100 m. W.), and the
Derbyshire hills (70 m. N.), taking in its cir-
cuit about a fourth of England and Wales.
Bardop River ( ) in W. Northmbrld. 5 m.
long, falls into R. Reed at Rochester, 11 m. N. of
Bardowie Loch, Baldernock par. S W. Stirlg. 5 m.
NNW. of Glasgow, near B. Hill, has an old tower
of the Galbraiths.
Bardrock, 3 m. E. of Newton Stewart, W. Kir-
P. BARDSEA tnshp. (91 or 8) Urswick par.
NW. Lancash. 5 m. E. of Dalton-276. Pop. 253 5
real prop. 1460?. ; charities 8?., for school. B.
Hall, near Conishead priory, W. Gale, Esq.
BARDSEY ISLD. (76) Commitmaen hund. SW.
Caernrn. 8 m. SW. of Braich-y-Pwll, the saxon
Bards' Isld., called Insula Sanctorum, " Saints'
isld." by the monks (many of whom fled here after
the massacre at Bangor-is-y-coed), Inys Enlli,
" of the current," by the Welsh, was the site of
an ancient culdee house older than 516, as well
as of an abbey, with the privilege of sanctuary,
founded probably by Dubritius, abp. of Caerleon,
in the 8th cent., of which 30 ft. of a tower remains.
Size about 2 sq. m., hilly, -with a small vil. and
harb. on the E. side ; pop. 90, fishermen, etc. It
belongs to Lord Ne wborough of Glynlifon. To the
NW. is Maunbigel rock, with Carrigagarona rock
near it, and at the S. is Bartram bank. B. Sound,
2 m. broad, between the isld. and the main, has 1 5
to 25 fath. ; but the stream, under the name of B.
Race, runs rather strong during a spring tide. B.
Light, put up 1821, is 140 ft. high, fixed, visible
at 5 leagues on every point except NE.JE. to
E.^S. ^ BARDSEY par. (92 or 31) Lower Sky-
rack wap. W. R. York. 7 m. NE. of Leeds-189,
includes Rigton, Wike, Rothersom. Acres 3380 ;
pop. 469 + 11 ; poor r. 94Z. (Gt. Preston Incorp.) ;
real prop. 3152Z. ; charities 251., of which 207. to
Lord Bingley's school. All Saints Vic. (Rip.) val.
2701., patr. G. L. Fox, Esq. ; church, fine early
norman. Congreve was born at B. Grange (1670
-1729), and Castle hill is the site of a roman
BAEDSLEY (88) Ashton-under-Lyne par. SE.
Lane, a Cur. (Manch.) val. /., patr. Hulme's
BARDWELL par. (50) Blackbourn hund. N.
Suffolk, 8 m. NE. of Bury St. Edmund's-71. Acres
3320 ; pop. 826 + 3 ; poor r. 665Z. (Thingoe U.) ;
real prop. 5242Z. : charities 103Z., of which town
estate 93Z. St. Peter Rect. (Ely) val. 597/., patr.
St. John's Coll. Oxon.
BARE hmlt. (91) Lancaster par. NW. Lancash.
2 m. NNW. of Lancaster- 240. Acres 180 ; pop.
Baremoor Castle ( ) 8 m. N. of Wooler, N.
Northmbrld. F. Sitwell, Esq.
BARF- END hmlt, (97) Melbeeks tnshp. N. R.
York, near Reeth-242.
Barfield (33) near Ludgvan, W. Cornwall, 3 m.
NE. of Penzance, Mrs. Davy.
BARFIELD vil. ( ) Allerdale-above-Derwent
ward. SW. Cumbrld. 6 m. SSE.of Ravenglass-279.
BARFORD hmlt. (15) Kingston Lacy par. E.Dor-
set. 3 m. "W. of Wimborne Minster-100. ^P BAR-
FORD par. (66) Forehoe hund. Mid. Norfolk, 8 m.
W. of Norwich-108. Acres 940; pop. 420; poor j
r. 196Z. (Forehoe Incorp.); real prop. 2820/. ;
charities 22Z. St. Botolph Rect. (Norw.) val.
288?., patr. S. Turner, Esq. gf BARFORD ext.
par. (52) to Rushton, N. Northmptn. 2 m. ENE.
of Rothwell-77. Pop. 9. |fg Barford (20) near
Enmore, W. Somerset. 4 m. WSW. of Bridge-
water, J. Jeffrey, Esq.
P. BARFORD par. (53) Kington hund. Mid.
Warwk. 2 m. S. of Warwick-90, on R. Avon, in
the midst of a fine country. Acres 1490 ; pop. 748
+ 10 ; poor r. 490Z. (Warwk, U.) ; real prop.
5189Z. ; charities 601., of which 48Z. to school. St.
Peter Rect. (Wore.) val. 869/., patr. J. Mills, Esq.
of B. House, which commands a rich prospect.
BARFORD HUNDRED (52) in NE. Beds, con-
tains the pars, of Gt. Barford vie., Colmworth rect.,
Eaton-Socon v., Goldington, Ravensden v., Ren-
hold v., Roxton v., Wilden r. ; acres 26,170, pop.
6330, houses 1247. See EATON DEANERY. ^B.,
GREAT, par. (52) in the above hund, E. Beds.
5 m. ENE. of Bedford-50, at the old bridge over
R. Ouse. Acres 2830 ; pop. 814 + 8; poor r.
490Z. (Bedf. U.) ; real prop. 4449Z. ; charities 3Z.
All Saints Vic. with Roxton ; church, has a tower
at W. end. ^g BARFORD, GREAT. See B. ST. |
MICHAEL, below. |g[p B. House (15) near Down- !
ton, SE. Wilts. 5 m. SSE. of Salisbury-81, on R.
Avon, seat of R. E. D Shaftoe, Esq., built by the
Duncombes. gif B. ST. JOHN, or LITTLE B.,
chplry. (45) E. Adderbury par. N. Oxfd. 2 m.
WNW. of Deddington-69. Acres 480 ; pop. 126 ;
poor r. 137Z. (Banbury U.) ; real prop. 1518/. i
Living, a Cur. with Adderbury; church, old, with
a piscina and norman door. |J3P B., LITTLE, par.
(52) Biggleswade hund. E. Bedfd. 2 m. S. of St.
Neot's-56, on R. Ouse, was the birthplace of
I, \ Nic. Rowe, dramatist (1673-1718). Acres 1190;
5 pop. 190 + 1; poor r. 12Z. (St. Neot's U.); real
I prop. 1252Z. ; charities 7Z, St. Mary Rect. (Ely)
j val. 254Z., patr. Rev. J.Alington, rector; church,
ancient, with brass of T. Perys and wife (1535).
P. BARFORD-ST. MARTIN par. (15) Cawden
hund. S. Wilts. 5 m. WNW. of Salisbury-81.
Acres 2290 ; pop. 570 ; poor r. 380Z. (Wilton U.) ;
real prop. 4579Z. St. Martin Rect. (Sal.) val. 5771.,
patr. All Souls Coll. Oxon. ^ B. ST. MICHAEL,
or GREAT B., par. (45) Wootton hund. N. Oxfd.
2m. W. of Deddington-69. Acres 1180; pop.
370 + 2 ; poor r. 193Z. (Banbury U.) ; real prop.
1860Z. St. Michael Cur. (Oxfd.) val. 67Z., patr.
J. Hall, Esq. ; church, early eng. with fine norman
door, tower, painted windows, etc.
BARFORTH tnshp. (103) Forcett par. N. R.
York. 7 m. E. of Barnard Castle-246, on R. Tees,
was called Old Richmond. Acres 1750 ; pop. 114,
decreasing ; poor r. 43Z. (Teesdale U.) ; real prop.
BARFRESTON, or BARSTON, par. (3) Eastry
hund, Augustine lathe, E. Kent, 6 m. NNW. of
Dover-71. Acres 360 ; pop. 125 + 1 ; poor r. 3Z.
Eastry U.) ; real prop. 709Z. St. Mary Rect.
(Cant.) val. 182Z., patr. St. John's Coll. Oxon. ;
church, small, and is, with its porch, circular win-
dows, chancel arch, etc. one of the best specimens
of the norman style.
Bargally, 3 m. NE. of Newton Stewart, W.