ton, Culham, Drayton, Nuneham- Courtney, Sand-
ford, Stadhampton with Burcutt, Littlemoor,
in Oxon. ; acres 60,750, pop. 18,789, cases re-
lieved (year 1846-7) 2632 (out-door 2159), ex-
pend. 82827., prop, rated 87,682/. The Sup.Registry
includes the above to Wytham, with Kennington,
in Berks, and to Stradhampton in Oxon. ; pop.
18,780 + 121. New County Court district, corre-
sponds with the registry, except Cumnor sub-
dist. (exclusive of Besselsleigh and Wootton).
! A. DEANERY, archdy. of Berks, dioc. of Oxon.
includes most of the benefices marked in Ganfield,
Hormer, Moreton, Ock, Shrivenham, Wantage,
and part of Kintbury-Eagle hunds. Mkt. D.
Mond. Frid. Fairs, 1st Mond. Lent, 6 May, 20
June, 5 Aug. 19 Sep. Mond. before Old Michaelm.
Mond. after 12 Oct. 11 Dec. cattle, horses, etc.
Races, Sept. on an oval course of 1 \ m.
P. ABINGER par. (8) First Wotton hund. Mid.
Surrey, 4 m. SW. of Dorking-29, on a branch of
R. Wey, under Leith Hill, gives title of baron
to the Scarletts of A. Hall, who own the manor.
Acres 9780; pop. 920 + 16; poor r. 5667. (Dork.
U.) ; real prop. 37377. ; charities 97. St. James
Rect. (Win.) val. 453t, patr. W. J. Evelyn, Esq.
M.P. of Walton ; church, early eng. The Surrey
Union hounds meet here.
ABINGHALL or ABENHALL par. (43) St. Bria-
vell's hund. NW. Gloucest. 1 m. SE. of Mit-
cheldean-113, in a fine part of Dean forest, had a
a seat of the abbots of Flaxley. Acres 860, with-
St. Anthony's mineral spring ; pop. 239, in Gun's
papermills, etc.; poor r. 1157. (Westbury U.) ;
real prop. 13547. St. Michael Rect. (Gl. and Br.) ;
val. 142/., patr. Rev. J. Probyn.
P. ABINGTON vil. Crawfordjohn par. 8. Lanrk. a
stat. on Caled. rail., 13 m. SSE. of Lanark-31, on
R. Clyde, where Glengonner Water joins it, and
a few grains of gold were found ( Jas. VI.) ; pop.
135. gg ABINGTON par. (6, 7, 14-5), Owneybeg
and Clanwilliam bars. N. Limerick, and Owny
bar. W. Tippery. 7 m. E. of Newport-109, a petty
sess. and police station, containing Moroe, on
R. Mulcairn, under Sleibh Phelim's mountns., had
a cistertian abbey, found. 1205 by the Fitzwalters,
and given by Eliz. to the Walshes, part of whose
old seat remains. Acres 30,400, chiefly barren
mountain; pop. 8314+75, of vil. 150. Living
(Ck. E. W. LJ val. with Tough 7887., patr. Bishop.
Deer Park, Earl of Carbery. ig?" ABINGT< >\ par.
(52) Spelhoe hund. Mid. 'Northmptn. 1 m. NE. of
Northampton-66, near Peterboro' rail, and tho
R. Nen. Acres 1190; pop. 1437. ; poor r. 1587.
(Northmpt. U.) ; real prop. 27827. ; charities,
church lands, etc. 207. St. Peter and St. Paul
Rect. (Pet.) val. 200/., patr. J. H. Thursby, Esq.,
of A. Lodge, through the Bernards, whose tombs
are in the early eng. church. On the spot where
Shakespere's favourite granddaughter was buried,
is the mulberry- tree planted by Garrick.
P. ABINGTON, GREAT, par. (51) Chilford hund.
! SE. Cambridge. 2 m. NW. of Linton-48, near E.
j count, rail, on a branch of R. Cam, was once a
mkt. town. Acres 1500 ; pop. 358 ; poor r. 2897.
(Lint. U.) ; real prop. 21407. St. Mary Vic. (Ely)
val. 1207., patr. T. Mortlock, Esq. of A. Park;
church, early eng. fgT A., LITTLE, par. close
to the above. Acres 1120; pop. 277+2; poor r.
1767. (Lint. U.); real prop. 18987. St. Mary
Vic. (Ely) val. 877., same patr. ; church, which
belonged to Pentney abbey, has a double niche
in the chancel, etc. with tombs of the Daltons.
giP A. IN THE CLAY, or A. PIGOTT'S, par. (46)
Armingford hund. SW. Cambridge. 4 m. NW.
of Rovston-38, on a branch of the Cam. Acres
12607."; pop. 232; poor r. 1637. (Royston U.);
real prop. 20337. St. Michael Rect. (Ely) val.
3107., patr. M. G. F. Pigott, Esq., of A. Hall
a fam. which has held the manor since the
AB-KETTLEBY par. (71) Framland hund. NE.
Leicest. 3 m. NW. of Melton Mowbray-105, on
Broughton Hill, and a branch of R. Wreak, con-
tains Holwell. Acres 2920 ; pop. 380 + 5 ; poor r.
17227. (M. Mowbr. U.); real prop. 817.; charities
87. St. James Vic. (Pet.) val. 7., patr. Rev.
T. Bingham, of A. Hall, vicar ; church, belonged
to Laund priory.
ABLINGTON tythg. (44) Bibury p&r.E. Gloucest.
5 m. NW. of Fairford-79, on R. Coin ; pop. 96 ;
real prop. 20827. A. House, Rev. C. Coxwell.
fiT ABLINGTON hmlt. (14) Figheldean par. E.
Wilts. 4 m. N. of Amesbury-77, on R. Avon ; pop.
ABNEY and A. GRANGE hmlt. (81) Hope par.
N. Derby. 3 m. NE. of Tideswell-160, on a branch
of R. Derwent, was the seat of the Abneys, who
were afterwards (thro' the Gunstons) of A . Park
(1) 2 m. N. of London, SE. Middlesex, now laid
out as a cemetery, with a chapel in the centre, and
a mon. to Dr. Watts, who lived in the old house
near the spot.
Abona Fluv. of the Romans, is the Avon, Glou-
cest. which flows by Abone or Ad Abonam, near
Bitton or Clifton. ^ A. jEstuar. is Dornock
ABOVE DERWENT. See PoRTrNG8CALE,CWiirW.
ABOVE PARK hmlt. (72) Cheadle par. N.
Staffd. near Cheadle-146. ffiT A.-SAWTHE hmlt
(41) Llangattock par. E. Carmrthn. near Llan-
gattock-195 ; pop. 736 ; real prop. 31907.
Abovewood ( ) 3 m. NE. of Whitehaven, W.
P. ABOYNE par. with Glentanner, Kincardine
O'Neil distr. S. Aberd. 26 m. WSW. of Aberdeen
-110, where Tanar Water joins the Dee, at the
bridge, near the Braes of Angus, in a healthy spot
under the Grampians, contains Charlestown, and
belonged to the K. Templars. Acres 29,000, hilly,
chiefly fir and oak forest; pop. 1138, decreasing;
real prop. 40447. ; for poor 1587. Living (Presb.
Kincard.) val. 1617. patr. Marquis of Huntley, of
A. Castle, chief heritor, who takes hence the title
of earl. Goats' whey is drunk here ; and a Pic ts*
house is seen.
Abraham's Bosom (55) 2 m. NE. of Tenburv,
ABRAM tnshp. (89) Wigan par. 5. Lancash. 3 m.
SSE. of Wigan-200, on Newton rail, and Leigh
canal. Acres 1790 ; pop. 901 + 39, in the collieries ;
poor r. 987. (Wig. U.) ; real prop. 81017. Living,
a Cur. (Ches.) val. 1207., patr. Rector.
Abrasuanus Fluv. of the Romans, is the Luce,
Wiffton, which runs to Luce bay or Abravannus
P. ABRIDGE vil. (1) 4m. S. of Epping,
Essex, on R. Roding, is a Our. with Lambourne.
Fair, 2 June.
Abshield ( ) 4m. NW. of Morpeth, E. Nor-
Abshot (11) 4m. W. of Farehani, S. Hants.
ABSON par. (35) with. Wick, Pucklechurch
hund. SW. Gloucest. 5 m. SSW. of Chipping
"Sodbury-108, on the Cotswolds and a branch of
R. Avon, under A. Hill camp (200 ft. high),
'containing Holbrook and Bridge- Yate, belonged
to Glastonbury ab., and includes Toghill, where
Waller was beaten 1642, when Sir 13. Granville
was killed. Acres 2170, with coal and lime ; pop.
: 794; poor r. Z. ; (C. Sodb. U.) ; real prop. Z.
'St. James Cur. with Pucklechurch. Roman coins,
urns, etc., have been found.
ABTHORPE par. (53) Towcester hund. SW.
Northmptn. 3 m. SW. of Towcester-60, on R.
love, contains Foscote. Acres 1960 ; pop. 449 ;
poorr. 409Z.' (Towc. U.) ; real prop. 2674Z. ; cha-
rities 191?. to Leeson's school, and poor of this and
29 other places. St. J. Baptist Vic. (Pet.) val.
184Z., patr. Bp. of Lichfield.
Abum, Ad, of the Romans, is WESTERTON, Lin-
coln, on Ermine St. and the Humber, or Abus Fluv.
ABURY. See AVEBURY, Wilts.
ABY par. (84) Calceworth hund. E. Lincoln.
-3 m. NW. of Alford-158, contains Greenfield.
Acres 1560; pop. 312+11; poor r. 111/. (Louth
U.); real prop. 1698Z. All Saints Vic. with
Acantium Prom, of Ptolemy, is the N. Foreland,
ACASTER MALBIS or MALBYSSE par. ( ) York
ainsty, W.R. York. 3 m. S. of York-199, on R.
Ouse, near N. Midld. rail., was held by the Mal-
bisses after the Conquest. Acres 1780 ; pop. 322,
decreasing ; poor r. 831. (York U.) ; real prop.
2487Z. ; charities, Knowles's school, etc. 35Z. Holy
Trinity Cur. (York) val. 56/., patr. F. Lawley, Esq.
tgif A. SELBY tnshp. Stillingfleet par. as above,
3 m. SW. near where R. Ouse joins the Wharfe,
belonged to Selby ab. and is the site of a college
founded by R. Stillington, val. 34/. Acres 1360 ;
pop. 188 ; poor r. 68Z. ; real prop. 2396Z. Living,
a Cur. (Yk.) val. 40Z., patr. Sir W. Milner, Bt.
P. ACCRINGTON chplry. (89) Whalley par.
Mid. Lancash. a stat. on E. Lane, rail., 4m. NNW.
of Haslingden-204, on R. Henburn, near Leeds and
Liverp. canal, includes A. NEW and OLD tnshps.
Acres 3220 ; pop. 8719 + 243, spinners, weavers,
calico-printers, and colliers ; poor r. 895Z. (Has-
Ingd. U.) ; real prop. 25,990Z., of which 3529Z. on
mines and quarries. Living, a Cur. (Manch.) val.
185Z., patr. Hulme's Trustees ; church reb. 1826 ;
Christ Church Cur. val. Z., patr. Trustees;
church, early eng. A. House, John Peel, Esq.
Achadfinglass Abbey, nearLeighlin, Carlow, was
plundered by the Danes, 864. ' Ach ' a field.
Achaffrick, on Loch Shin, S. Sutherland.
Achdistal Castle, near Berrydale, S W. Caithness,
a seat of the Earls of Sutherland, now in ruins.
Achaleak, on L. Sunart, N. Argyll, near Stron-
Achalean, on L. Awe, E. Argyll. 10 m. N. of
Achalefen, S. end of Arran, Bute.
Achalibster, 4 m. SSW. of Halkirk, Mid. Caithn.
Achalibster, 7 m. WSW. of Wick, E.Caithness.
Aclialick Bay, in L. Fine, S. Argyll.
Achall Loch, 2 m. E. of Ullapool, N. Ross.
near L. Broom.
Achall, and Achanish, near L. Naver, Mid.
Achancass Castle, Kirkpatrick Juxta par. 4\T.
Dumfries, is a fort 150 ft. square, with parts of
the walls left,
Achantoft, 2 m. S. of Dunbeath Castle, E. Caithn.
Achany, 2 m. S. of L. Shin, S. Suthrld.
ACHARACLE. See AHARACLE, Inverness.
Acharaskil and Achavaristil, near Reav, NW.
Achardale, 2m. SSW. of Halkirk, Mid. Caithn.
AOHARN vil. Kenmore par. Mid. Perth. 3 m. SW.
of Kenmore-92, on A. Burn, which runs over a
fall of 80 ft. to L. Tay. Pop. 42.
Acharynie, 3 m. NNE. of L. More, Mid. Caithn.
Acliaun Castle (9) 4 m. NE. of Tullow, N. Car-
low, near A. Cromlech, and A. Abbey, Monastery,
and Church, all in ruins.
Achavair, 2 m. N. of Lybster, SE. Caithness.
Achavanich Inn, 7 m. N. of Dunbeath castle,
Achavanie, on L. Keeshom, S. W. JRoss.
Achavreal and Achay, 2 m. SSE. of L. Watten,
Achendown Castle, 9 m. SSW. of Keith, Mid.
Banff, on R. Fiddick, an old ruined seat of the
Ogilvies and Gordons (since 1535).
Achenharvie, 4 m. NE. of Irvine, N. Ayr.
Achenreoch Loch, 7 m. NE. of Castle Douglas,
Acherachan, 6 m. NNW. of Tomantoul, S W.
Banff, on R. Livet.
Achern, 3 m. SW. of Wick, E. Caithn.
Achieson's Haven. See Morrison's Haven, Had-
ACHILI, par. (53-6, etc.) Burrishoole bar. W.
Mayo, 20 m. WNW. of Newport- 176, between
Newport and Black Sod bays, belongs chiefly to
the O'Donnells, and includes the islds. of Achill
and A. Beg, and Coraan A. Point on the main, from
which it is separated by A. Sound and Ford, at
the bottom of which, near A. Beg, is A. Hole harb.,
which is safe in all weathers, with a fishing pier.
Acres 51, 522, of A. Isld. 35,243, mountain and
bog, rising 2220 ft. at Croyhan hill (close to A.
Head), 2217 at Slievemore, 1530 at Minaum, 1190
at Knockmore, and from 1500 to 1800 at Knock-
letteragh in the Coraan ; pop. 6392 + 112, of isld.
4000, fishermen, etc., in a very primitive state.
Living, a Ilect. (Tu.K. A.) val. 89Z., patr. Bishop ;
no church. Some improvements have been effected
by the Protestant mission, estab. 1832 at Doogort
under Slieve-more, where the ' A. Herald ' is
published. Amethysts are found at Keem coast
gd. station (with a fine view of Clare isld.), and
at A. Beg, which is small and poor, and is also
a coast gd. station.
Achilochy, 2 m. S. of Farr Kirk, N. Suthrld. in
Achilty Loch, 7 m. WSW. of Dingwall, E. Pass.
in a fine spot, is 1 m. long, very clear, with char,
trout, etc., and remains of M'Lea More's house.
Achin Loch, 2 m. SE. of L. Fannich, Mid. Ross.
Achinblae. See AUCHINBLAE, Kincardine.
Achinames Castle, See Auchinames, Ayr.
Achindarach, 5 m. WSW. of Invercoe, If. Ar-
gyll, near Lochs Leven and Linnhe.
ACHINDAVY vil. Kirkintilloch par. E. Dumbrtn.
2 m. E. of Kirkintilloch-41, on R. Kelvin, was a
roman station on Antonine's Wall, where the 4
altars were found 1771, described by Gen. Roy.
Achingale, near L. Watten, E. Caithn.
Achinhew, S. end of Arran, Bute.
Achintee, at Carron's Head, S W. Ross.
Achintoul. See Auchintoul.
Achlean, 5 m. WNW. of Fort Augustus, Mid.
Inverness, in Glen Morison.
Achleeks, 8 m. W. of Blair Atholl. N. Perth., in
Achley, near Dornoch, SE. Suthrld.
Achlitie Castle, 6m. NW. of L. Earn Head.
W. Perth., Marquis of Breadalbane, in Glen Do-
Achllng Ditch (15) between Woodgates and
Critchill, NE. Dorset., is part of Icknield St. from
Sarum, etc., which went on over Badbury Down
to Sturminster, Dorchester, etc.
Achmerrel, 2 m. SE. of L. Watten, E. Caithn.
Achmore or Auchmore, at L. Tay's Head, W.
Perth, near Killin.
Achmores, 9 m. NE. of Tomantoul, Mid. Banff.
ACHMUIHIE. See AUCHMITHIK, Forfar.
Achnacary, near L. Archaig, S. Inverness, was
the Camerons' seat, where they sheltered Pr.
Charles after Culloden.
Achnacrag, 4m. SW. of Berrydale cast SW.
Caithness., on the coast.
P. ACHNACRAIG, 8 m. W. of Oban, I. of Mull,
N. Argyll, on A. Loch, has a great cattle ferry to
the mainland, across Kerrera isld. igT Achna-
crosh, 3 m. N. of it.
Achnacy, 4 m. N. of Huntley, N. Aberdeen.
Achnadaul, 6 m. NE. of Fort William, S. In-
Achnahannet, 3 m. W. of Grantown, S. Elgin.
Achnahow Loch, 6 m. NW. of Kildorran, E.
Sutherld. fig" Achnaihin, 2 m. E. of it in Strath
Achnastank, 6 m. ESE. of Inveraven, Mid.
Achollies, 5. m. NW. of Stonehaven, NE. Kin-
card, on a branch of R. Cowie.
Acholter, 2 m. N W. of Rothsay, Bute.
fc ACHOKRY par. (31-2, etc.)" Leyney bar. S.
Sligo, 5 in. WSW. of BaIlymote-123, containing
Tobercurry, Bellaghy, etc., was seat of a bishopric
founded 6th cent, and now joined to Tuam.
Acres 60,896, arable and mountain, with lime and
granite quarries ; pop. 17,986 + 260. Living, a
Rect. (Tu. K. A.) val. 6147., patr. Crown. A.
House, T. Rice, Esq. A. DIOCESE, prov. of Ar-
magh, includes 9 benefices, of which 6 are unions,
and 6 are in patr. of bishop ; no. of pars. 25, of
churches 11 ; size 35 m. by 27, or 231,121 acres ;
pop. (1831) 108,144 ; the chapter consists of a
dean, archdeacon, precentor, 3 prebendaries. Ditto,
row. cath. Diocese, includes 23 pars. ; bishop's
seat at Ballaghadereen.
Achray Loch, 3 m. N. of Aberfoil, S W. Perth,
between Lochs Katrine and Vennachar, near the
'brig o' Turk,' the Trossachs, and most of the
localities of the " Ladv of the Lake."
Acinus limit. (2l) Ballinahinch bar. NW.
Galway, 8 m. NW. of Clifden, near A. Point and
Achrisgill, near L. Inchard, NW. Suthrld.
ACKENTHWAITE hmlt. ( ) Heversham tnshp.
S. Westmrld. close to Milnthorpe-255, near N. of
ACKERGILL vil. Wick par. E. Caithness. 2 m. N.
of Wick-282, near Sinclair bav, has A. Tower,
Lord Duffus, once a seat of the Keiths.
Ackhampstead (7) 4 m. NW. of Gt. Marlow, S.
ACKLAM, or E. ACKLAM, par. ( ) Buckrose
wap. E. R. York. 6 m. S. of Malton-217, on the
Wolds, has a fine view, and contains Leavening.
Acres 2970, of town with Barthorpe 1860 ; pop.
845 + 2, and 411 + 4; poor r. 1167. (Malton U.);
real prop. 14607. St J. Baptist Vic. (York) val.
1087., patr. Chanc. of cathedral. ^* A. WEST
par. ( ) W. Langbaurgh lib. N. R. York. 3 m.
ESE. of Stockton-241, near Darlingt. rail, and
R. Tees. Acres 1100 ; pop. 97 ; poorr. 337. (Stockt.
U.); real prop. 1101/. ; charities 5.7. Living, a
Cur. (York) val. 447., patr. Archbp. A. Hall, T.
Ackland (21) 2 m. SE. of Collumpton, NE.
Devon, was the Accalen or seat of the Aclands of
ACKLETOX tnshp. (61) Worfield par. E. Salop.
5 m. NE. of Bridgenorth-139.
ACKLEY tnshp. (60) Forden par. E. Montgmry.
3 m. N. of Montgomery-168. Pop. 84.
3? ACKLEY DEANERY, archdy. of Leicester,
dioc. of Peterboro', includes the benefices in W
Goscote hund., with Worthington Cur.
P. ACKLINGTON and A. PARK tnships. (')
Warkworth par. E. Northmbrld., a stat. on Yk.
and Benvk. rail., 7 m. SSE. of Alnwick-308, on
R. Coquet, near the coast. Pop. 301 and 133,
coal miners and blanket weavers; poor r. 787.
ACKTHORPE hmlt. (84) S. Elkington par. NE.
Lincoln. 2 m. W. of Louth-143, on the Wolds.
P. ACKWCRTH par. (87) Upper Osgoldcross
wap. W. R. York. 3 m. SW. of Pontefract-177,
near Lane, and Yk. rail., in a healthy spot, contains
A. HIGH and Low, Moortop, and the Friends'
school, which before 1717 was a branch of the
Foundling Hosp. Acres 2270 ; pop. 1828+ 12 ; poor
r. 4027. ; real prop. 89617. ; char. 1447., of which
807. to Lowther's hosp. and school besides some
poor's cottages. St. Cuthbert Rect. (York) val.
4037., patr. Dean and Chap, of Llandaff; church,
old. A. Park, J. Gully, Esq. ; A. Grange, R. Wil-
son, Esq. ; A. House, G. Goldsworthy, Esq. ; A.
Moor Top, Mrs. Gee, etc.
Aclare (6) near Drumcondra, N. Meath, H.
Singleton, Esq. A. Lodge, Moore, Esq.
P. ACLARE vil. (6) Leyney bar. SW. Sligo,
27 m. SW. of Sligo, 140 from Dublin, a police
station near R. Moy. Pop. 159. Mkt. D. Sat
P. ACLE par. (66) Walsham hund. E. Norfolk,
10 m. E. of Norwich-108, near Way bridge (of
one arch) on R. Bure, was a mkt town under
Roger Bigod, who found, an austin priory at A.
Dam, val. 87. Acres 4360 ; pop. 864 + 4 ; poor r.
3037. (Blofield U.) ; real prop. 79567. ; charities 17.
St. Edmund Rect. (Norw.) val. 6057., patr. Lord
Calthorpe ; church, has an old font. Fair, 24 June.
Acley. See Lyre Ockle, Hereford.
ACOL. See WOOD, Kent.
P. ACOMB par. ( ) York ainsty, W. R. York.
2 m. W. of York-199, on Gt N. of Engld. rail,
near R. Ouse and Siver's Hill (where the body
of the emperor Severus was burnt), contains
Drinkhouses and Knapton, and 2 lunatic asylums.
Acres 2320, of town 1440 ; pop. 880, and 774 + 1 ;
poor r. 1227. ; real prop. 47737. ; charities 127., of
which lady Hewley's free school 57. St Stephen
Vic. (York) val. 1097., patr. T. Tireman, Esq. ;
P. ACOMB, EAST, tnshp. ( ) St Peter's Bywell
par. S. Northmbrld. 7 m. E. of Hexham-279, near
Newcast. rail, and R. Tyne; pop. 37. <3*"A.
WEST tnshp., St. John Lee par. as above, 2 in. N.
of Hexham ; pop. 571 + 5, colliers.
ACONBURY, or ACOKNBCRY, par. (43) Upper
Wormelow hund. Mid. Herefd. 4 m. S. of Here-
ford- 134, has a fine view from A. Hill roman
camp, and remains of an austin priorv found. (K.
John) by Margery wife of Will, de Lacy, now a
farm. Acres 1470 ; pop. 158 ; poor r. 207. (Heref.
U.^ ; real prop. 12037. St J. Baptist Rect. (Heref.)
val. 2587., patr. Guy's hosp. which has the manor,
with A. Wood, etc.
Acorn Bank ( ) 7 m. NW. of Appleby, 'N.
Westmrld. near R. Eden, and so called from ^he
oaks which abounded, was a seat of the Dal-
stons, now of J. Boazman, Esq., and has some
Acorn Close ( ) 4 m. NW. Durham, N. Durh.
Acranminster of the Saxons, is AXMINSTER,
Acre, Goat (34) 4 m. SW. of Wootten Bassett,
N. Wilts. 1^" A. Hill Farm (8) 2 m. WNW. of
Epsom, N. Surrey. ^ A. Houses (86) 3 m. S.
of Caistor, N. Lincoln. giT -4. Rivulet ( ) rises
in Glenariff, NE. Antrim, and runs NE. 6 m. to
ACRISE par. (3) Loningborough and Folkestone
hunds. Shepway lathe, E. Kent, 5 m. NE. of
Hythe-56, is a meet for the E. Kent hounds. Acres
1170; pop. 207 + 1; poor r. 70Z. (Elham U.) ;
real prop. 1127Z. ; charities, 'tke parish acre.'
St. Martin Sect. (Cant.) val. 171/., patr. Ld.
Chancellor. A. Place, T. Papillon, Esq.
ACTON vil. (18) Lower Orior bar. E. Armagh,
near Poyntz Pass-72, on Newry canal, was for-
feited by the O'Hanlons to Sir T. Pointz of Iron
Acton, Glouc., who founded the town, and gave
his name to the pass. Pop. 210, in the linen ma-
nufact. Living, a Cur. (Arm.) val. 98/., patr.
Incumbent of Ballymore ; church, at Poyntz
Pass, near the old one which has a tomb to Pointz,
whose descendant is P. Quinn, Esq., of A. Lodge.
Fairs, 4 May, 11 Dec. igj ACTON par. (73)
Nantwieh hund. 5. Chesh., 1 m. WNW. of Nant-
wich-164, on Gd. Junct. and Ellesm. canals, con-
taining Newhall, Burland, Burley Dam Cur., and
14 other tnshps. was the seat of the saxon ' eorl '
Morcar, and came through the Levels, Ardens,
Wilbrahams, to Earl Dysart. Acres 19,800, of
town 1230; pop. 4134 + 21 and 321 + 2; poor r.
681. (Nantw. U.) ; real prop. 2058Z. ; charities 135Z.
of which 101. to Sir R. Wilbraham's almshouses.
St. Mary Vic. (Ches.) val. 627Z., patr. J. Tolle-
mache, Esq. M.P. of Tilstone ; church, early eng.
has tombs of the Mainwarings, etc., and was oc-
cupied by Fairfax when Byron surrendered Dorfold
hall (the Tomlinsons' seat), 1643. igg" ACTON
tnshp. (80) Weaverham par. N. Chesh., 4 m.
WNW. of Northwich-174, on N. West. rail, and
R. Weaver, at the bridge, which was built out of
Vale Royal abbey. Acres 1300; pop. 382 + 5;
poor r. "751. (Northw. U.); real prop. 2738Z.
^ ACTON tnshp. (73) Wrexham par. E. Den-
bigh. 1 m. NE. of Wrexham-179, on Chester rail,
and Offa's Dyke. Pop. 223; real prop. 1839Z.
A. Park, seat of Sir R. H. Cunliffe, Bt. where
the notorious Judge Jeffreys was born (died
1689). i^~ ACTON hmlt. (16) Langton Ma-
travers par. SE. Dorset. 3 m. SE. of Corfe Castle
P. ACTON par. (7) Ossultone hund. Mid. Mid-
dlesex, 2 m. NE. of Brentford-7, near Gt. West.
rail, where Essex was quartered 1642, and the
citizens welcomed Cromwell after the battle
of Worcester 1651, is an old place, containing
Steyne and E. ACTON hmlt. on Old Oak common
foe, an oak), and belonged to Bartholomew priory.
Acres 2260, with a mineral spring ; pop. 2665 + 2i ;
poor r. 835Z. on 12,740Z. ; (Brentf. U.) ; real prop.
18,073?. ; charities 137Z., of which 31. to lady Con-
way's school, Perryn's or the Goldsmiths' almsh.
for 24, and the Clergy orphan school, are on the
common. St. Mary Rect. (Lon.) val. 968Z., patr.
Bishop, who has the manor ; church, early eng.
has 2 brasses, and tombs of ladies Conway and
Southwell, etc., P. Nye and B. Ryres, author of
" Mercurius Rusticus, 1 ' were rectors. Burymead
priory, once seat of the Savilles and Evelyns is a
nunnery. Baxter, Sir M. Hale, Bp. Lloyd (one
of the 'seven'), Provost Rous, Thicknesse the
traveller, etc., were residents. Fair, 24 Aug.
ACTON tnshp. ( ) with old Felton, Felton
par. E. Northmbrld. 7 m. S. of Alnwick-308, near
R. Coquet, has A. House, M. de C. Lawson, Esq.
Pop. Ill + 1 ; poor r. 66Z. (Alnw. U.) igT AC-
TON tnshp. (60) N. Lydbury par. SW. Salop.
2 m. SSW. of Bishop's Castle-159; pop. 108.
tgg" ACTON tnshp. (73) Swinnerton par. NW.
Staffd. 3 m. SW. of Newcastle under Lyme-150.
^- ACTON par. (48) Babergh hund. S W. Suf-
folk, 3 m. NNE. of Sudbury-54. Acres 2090;
pop. 555 ; poor r. 599Z. (Sudb. U.) ; real prop.
4020Z. ; charities 37. AH Saints Vic. (Ely) val.
255/., patr. Earl Howe ; church, contains 5 brasses
(from 1302) of the Bures, Brians, and Daniells
of A. Place, which has some old paintings, etc.
igjT ACTON, ACKTON, or AJKTON tnshp. (87)
Featherstone par. W. R. York. 3 m. W. of Pon-
tefract-177, Acres 1090 ; pop. 76 + 2 ; poorr. 42/. ;
real prop. 1440Z. A. Hall, A\ Heywood, Esq.
ACTON BEAUCIIAMP par. (55) Upper Dodding-
tree hund. W. Wore. 11 m. WSW. of Worcester-
Ill, belonged to the Beauchamps. Acres 1600,
part in hops, with mineral springs ; pop. 217 ;
poor r. 137Z. (Bromyard U.) ; real prop. 1905Z. ;
St. Giles Rect. (Wore.) val. 320/., patr. Mrs.
P.3. ACTON BURNELL par. (61) Condover hund.
Mid. Salop. 6 m. WNW. of Much Wenlock- 148,
near Watling St. and Wenlock Edge, contains
A. PIGOT chplry (pop. 49) and Ruckley, and
has on A. Hill part of the Burnells' early eng.
castle, where Edw. I.'s parl. passed (128*2) the
"Statutum de mercatoribus," the Commons sitting
in a barn which remains to this day. Acres 2650 ;
pop. 394 + 1 ; poor r. 33Z. (Atcham U.) ; real prop.
3605Z. ; charities 2Z. St. Mary Rect. (Lich.) val.
350Z., patr. Sir E. J. Smythe, Bt. of A. Park ;
church, has a canopied brass of a Burnell. The
Wheatland hounds meet here, ijif" A. Castle
(33) 3 m. SE. by E. of Mazarion, SW. Cornw.,
Capt. Praed. ggp A. GRANGE tnshp. (80) Run-
corn par. N. Cliesh. 2 m. SW. of Warrington-184,
on N. West. rail, and Bridgwater canal, near the
Mersey. Acres 780; pop. 175 + 3; poor r. 119Z.
(Rune. IL) ; real prop. 1951Z. ^ A. HaU (54)
5 m. NW. of Droitwich, N. Worcest. $& A.
Hill (73) close to Eccleshall, W. Staffd. G. Had-
derton, Esq. ijijf A. IRON. See IRON ACTON,
Gloucester. S A. Mills ( ) 8 m. SSE. of
Hexham, S. Northmbrld. near R. Derwent.